PDA

View Full Version : Trace Memory (DS)

PDorr3
09-21-2005, 12:21 PM
Anyone else wanting to play this game?
Its like a murder mystery where a girl goes to an island to find her missing father with her aunt or something and she dissapears too.
It plays out like a point and click adventure game but you actualy control where you go by sliding the ds around to make her walk.
It combines 3d environments with 2d stills and anime style (but not the overly happy school girl type) all in one.

Reviews are mixed, but most agree the puzzles are so innovative that they cant even tell you what they are or else they will spoil the experience, but I hear they make use of all of the DS' features nicely.

The game is said to take anywhere between 4-7 hours to beat, but it has replay value by allowing more of the story to be unfolded by a second preview.

Its set to ship on the 26th, one day before lost in vlue and lunar. I know Ill be getting all 3.

Rabid Peanut-Butter
09-21-2005, 02:42 PM
I'm looking forward to it. I plan on picking up both Trace Memory and Lost in blue next week. Then there's Castlevania, Phoenix Wright, and Trauma Center right around the corner as well. Stupid DS sucking up all of my money. >:0.

njiska
09-21-2005, 04:00 PM
I ordered Trace the same time i ordered Myst V. Right now is actually a really good time for fans of that style of play because we're getting Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophcey), Myst V and Trace Memory all within a few weeks of each other.

Look's like i'll be picking up Lost in Blue at the same time. WHat can i say? The DS has some amazing titles coming and i plan on picking up everyone that Rabid's after.

Oh and reviews don't mean shit to me i want to try it myself.

DreamTR
09-22-2005, 05:28 PM
Hey! I already have a US version of this!!!! It's not out yet?

GrandAmChandler
09-22-2005, 05:45 PM

Gamespot says 9/26/05! You sir are lucky!

NintendoMan
09-22-2005, 05:59 PM
Yes, I too plan on getting Trace Memory. I know that it hasn't gotten very good reviews, well half n half, but still am going to give it a try.
I didn't reserve it, but will buy it as soon as I see it in stores.

njiska
09-22-2005, 06:02 PM

Are you sure it's the US and not a European import? It's been out there since June.

PDorr3
09-22-2005, 06:03 PM
does it cost 30 or 40? im most likely going to buy it the 28th at EB games.

njiska
09-22-2005, 06:08 PM
does it cost 30 or 40? im most likely going to buy it the 28th at EB games.

$29.99 USD from Ebgames. Next time you should just check their site.

PDorr3
09-22-2005, 06:09 PM
I did, and originaly not long ago they had it priced at 39.99

njiska
09-22-2005, 06:14 PM
I did, and originaly not long ago they had it priced at 39.99

Ok, well $29.99 is the actually price as far as i can tell. It's the standard price everywhere now. Besides a game with such low appeal to the mass market (let's face it adventure games aren't very popular expect amongst the guys like us) would scare off curious gamers at $39.99.

Stores usualy pre-sell high and then lower the cost later because they can automatically charge your reditcard less, but they can't charge you more without your permission. So this way they're saved a lot of trouble.

joshnickerson
09-22-2005, 06:52 PM
Sweet. Something to spend my birthday money on. :D

Still gotta pick up Meteos sometime though.

DreamTR
09-22-2005, 07:10 PM
njiska, I am 100% certain it is a USA game, not from Europe.

njiska
09-22-2005, 08:05 PM

Ok just checking. Guess you really are lucky and i'm envyous.

Julio III
09-22-2005, 08:25 PM

In Europe its got a different name - Another Code: Two Memories. Its been out for months. For some strange reason we got this months earlier but almost all other games months later. There's lots of titles out in America already that we dont get for another month or two.
What's good about this game is that a lot of the puzzles can only be done with a DS so it makes good use of the system

DreamTR
09-22-2005, 10:35 PM
njiska, nothing to be jealous of, I get final boxed copies really early of a lot of things from people out here.

njiska
09-22-2005, 10:45 PM
njiska, nothing to be jealous of, I get final boxed copies really early of a lot of things from people out here.

Hey i'm only just kiddin' anyways. Although to be honest i've been waiting so damn long to play Trace that i've been considering importing it since june.

PDorr3
09-27-2005, 04:40 PM
anyone get this game today?
Im getting mine tomorrow, but I am excited after reading gamespots review. Basicaly the same as the others, a quality game with very inventive puzzles and great story/characters, but only 4-5 hours long.
The play time does not discourage me, since Ico is my favorite game of all time short playtime does not put me off :)

s1lence
09-27-2005, 04:59 PM
I saw it for sale, but I passed on it. I want to hear if its anygood before I pick it up, especially with there be so many other releases out.

joshnickerson
09-27-2005, 05:16 PM
I just picked it up today, and I'm really digging it so far. The story's interesting enough to keep you going, and despite the fact that a couple of puzzle solutions are a little obscure, I'm having fun with it.

Cmtz
09-27-2005, 07:21 PM
Just picked it up today. Then I had to go lay 1,000 dollars down on a fuckin Xray Cat Scan. :angry: Well, it's a good thing I bought it before I knew how much my insurance would cover or I would have to wait till next month. Now I have to wait to get Lost in Blue, Castlevania, Lunar and that detective game.

PDorr3
09-28-2005, 05:10 PM
Got mine today. I like the graphical presentation alot. The story is pretty interesting, and it really makes you WANT to know the conclusion to it. I got stuck at one part, only because the game wasnt too clear on what to do and where to go next.
Overall Im liking it, but I have yet to come upon anything innovative yet, but Im only an hour in.

SoulBlazer
09-30-2005, 12:05 AM
So did anyone pick up the game?

I'm enjoying it a lot, not that hard to get to Chapter 2 where I saved for the night last night. The puzzles to start with were pretty simple. I don't see the point in taking pictures yet. The graphics, dialogue, and music are all very good.

PDorr3
09-30-2005, 12:46 AM
Ya Im on chapter 3 now. Things start to pick up once you get to chapter 2. I am enjoying it so far, but am taking my time and trying not to rush through it.

I wish there were more inventive puzzles though, not enough of them so far. Great game though, but DEFINITLY not for everybody.

SoulBlazer
09-30-2005, 03:54 AM
From what I've read in previews, there are susposed to be some really unique puzzles -- including one where you need to actually CLOSE the DS. :hmm:

It's nice to see some new adventure games come out, though. Just as long as I don't get stuck -- I normaly suck at these kinds of games, but I love playing them. :D

Brings back memories of the great games from Sierra 10-15 years ago. Kings Quest, Quest for Glory, Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Gabriel Knight, Phantasmagoria.....

PDorr3
09-30-2005, 12:27 PM
LOL I have gotten stuck a few times, and I am currently stuck right now with NO CLUE what to do....I searched everything in the entire area but I have no luck. Incase any1 else is up to this point its the "bottle, doll, golden bird key" part. I really dont want to use a FAQ but I might just haveto...

joshnickerson
09-30-2005, 03:39 PM
I'm not exactly sure what part you're talking about, but I do remember that one part of Chapter 3 I had trouble with, I eventualy figured out I have to reflect the top screen of the DS onto the bottom screen to figure it out.

Cmtz
09-30-2005, 08:09 PM
I'm not exactly sure what part you're talking about, but I do remember that one part of Chapter 3 I had trouble with, I eventualy figured out I have to reflect the top screen of the DS onto the bottom screen to figure it out.

When I figured that out. I though I was so damn smart. :( Sad, I know.

PDorr3
10-01-2005, 07:27 PM
Beat the game today, I really liked the climactic ending.

I am still confused by all of the characters in the story though, I hardly know who did what and who is who....

Final completion time 6 hours 20 minutes

And I had to use a faq on one part of the game because I was completely stumped....

Daria
10-01-2005, 10:22 PM

When I figured that out. I though I was so damn smart. :( Sad, I know.

You know it's funny, the reflection bit was actually the first trick I tried.

PDorr3
10-01-2005, 11:53 PM
POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD!
Yea I tried reflecting it first as well. I wasnt sure exactly how to slign it, but I noticed the key in the book, and I couldent figure out what the lines were (which I later found out was the letter and number I needed to know) very cool puzzle, too bad I had to use a faq to figure out that those lines made up a letter and number...

s1lence
10-02-2005, 12:13 AM
I just picked it up today at cosco for 25 bucks. I'll figured I would give it a whirl after pdorr talked it up.

Drexel923
10-02-2005, 10:00 AM
Beat the game today, I really liked the climactic ending.

I am still confused by all of the characters in the story though, I hardly know who did what and who is who....

Final completion time 6 hours 20 minutes

And I had to use a faq on one part of the game because I was completely stumped....

About the same with me. It took me 6 hours 1 minute to finish and I also looked on a faq once.

Overall I'm happy with the purchase. It's been a while since I played a game like this and I was happy to see it return. I think the length of the game, while most would say is too short, was about right. I don't think they could have dragged the story on any longer than they did...and they did a good job of filling the time with puzzles. I'm also pleased with the challenge of the game...there was a nice balance of easy and thinking puzzles. Though I guess if you play this kind of game all the time it may be too easy for you.

I'm guessing you'll play through it again to uncover more of the secondary plot (I don't want to say anything about it)...finding the rest of the cards? I'll probably do that after I finish the 3 other DS games I'll be playing throughout October. :D

njiska
10-02-2005, 10:27 AM
I haven't completed it yet since i've only been playing a little here and there (exactly the way handheld games are ment to be played). The game is fun and the puzzles are reasonable, but i find the game a little too linear. However the story more then makes up for that. The game is intriguing in such a simple way and, like any good adventure game, it's got a nice pace.

I hope this game inspires other developers to start making some more adventure games.

1 down 6 DS games to go.

Cmtz
10-02-2005, 12:28 PM
Just finished it today. I think the lenght of the game is just right. If your thinking about buying this game and are not sure here are some questions you might want to ask yourself.

Do I like to read a lot of text?
Do I like to figure out plots?
Did I like shadowgate or DejaVu?

If you answered yes, than this game is for you! I loved the game. 8.5/10

Cmtz

PDorr3
10-02-2005, 02:42 PM
I also agree the length was right for the story. I was getting so overwhelmed with all the clues and characters that were getting introduced that I really couldent handle anymore. Also this is one of the few games I have ever played that made me want to finish the game based on the first few minutes of finding out the opening plot, just because I HAD to know how it ended.

njiska
10-06-2005, 11:33 PM
I finally got around to finishing the game and god damn you guys were right the ending is amazing. Short or not the game is unbeleiveably well made and is a blast to play.

This is the first time in my life that i've actually not know if someone was lying to me in a game. In the big conversation between Bill and Richard i wasn't really sure who to trust. sure i had a gut feeling, but Bill made so many good points.

I hope Cing creates another adventure game for the DS soon cause Trace Memory is amazing.

Cmtz
10-07-2005, 10:22 PM
Those this game have multiple endings, because I never found who killed the boy? Should I play through the game one more time to see if I missed anything?

Lothars
01-02-2006, 02:16 AM
I definitly need to pick up this game, but I also want to get Mario 64 DS, so many DS games to get

izret101
01-02-2006, 03:09 AM
Those this game have multiple endings, because I never found who killed the boy? Should I play through the game one more time to see if I missed anything?

^^^Any word on this yet?^^^

I almost picked up this game at the end of the month but grabbed Mario & Luigi again

GamecubeFreek
01-02-2006, 04:10 PM
I got the game on Christmas (along with a bunch of other games), and I beat it the next day. I had fun with it, but I did not feel that the puzzle to story balance was right. I felt like for every thirty minutes of story, there was 1 real puzzle. Overall, I liked it though.

Julio III
01-03-2006, 11:06 AM
I completely forgot about that ending, but yes, it was pretty good and the story is really good there, what with that trust issue.

I was trying for ages with the stupid reflection trick because I figured that was what you were meant to do, I could just never get it to work right, it was very frustrating

Snapple
02-03-2006, 03:59 AM
Got this game today. Beat it in one sitting. Now I'm wondering where my money went.

Not that I didn't enjoy the game, but I sure didn't get my money's worth out of it. It just needed to be about four times longer.

As for the reflecting puzzle, I never figured that one out. When it was time to look for the key, I just found it by clicking around, so I didn't need to interpret that puzzle.

I guess I do need to go back and play again to get the better ending, because I definitely didn't find out everything there is to find about D's memory. I guess I may use a FAQ the second time around so I don't have to beat the game ten times to make this happen.

I didn't really find the plot hard to follow. I just got done beating Phoenix Wright not long ago, so my brain is still stuck in that mode of absorbing dialogue and piecing together clues.

I did need to read Henry's letter a second time though to understand what he was saying, but that's all really.

It was fun... but I'd recommend renting instead of buying. You won't need much time to get everything out of this game.

Reminded me a bit of Myst, but maybe that's just me.