PDA

View Full Version : Trauma Center: Under the Knife (DS)

PDorr3
10-01-2005, 12:09 AM
Suprised to see there are no topics on this yet (that I saw in the search).
I was under the impression this came out rhe 11th, but Im happy to know it comes out the same day as castlevania!
Also I am very pleased to see it is getting good reviews.
Anyon else excited for this game?
Only thing I am worried about is replay value and how many operations there are to do.

josekortez
10-01-2005, 10:03 AM
This is the only new game that's coming out that I want right now. It seems like it might be fun and one of those games that could only happen on a system like the DS. I hope the story is like ER, or even, God forbid, Grey's Anatomy...

I wonder what Nintendo is going to do when the DS becomes retro and they try to re-release those games 20 years from now. Trust me, it'll happen...

joshnickerson
10-01-2005, 10:07 AM
I'll be getting it eventually. I'll probably end up getting Phoenix Wright first, but both look very good to me.

Of course, being the twisted individual I am, I'd love to see them take the game engine and slap on a different licence... like M*A*S*H. I can see it now, performing meatball surgery, complete with touch screen minigames, like getting the still to work and punching Frank Burns in the face. LOL

Hey, it couldn't be worse than the 2600 game...

Next, take Phoenix Wright and slap Matlock in there. :D

Don't mind me, I'm just functioning on very little sleep.

walrusmonger
10-01-2005, 10:12 AM
I'm also excited to get my hands on Trauma Center, what makes everything that much better is the 17 days off of school I have over the next 2 weeks :-D Lost in Blue + Trauma Center + only 22 hours of work= lots of great times to be had.

Castlevania I already played and finished (unlocking all the stuff etc) so I wont be playing the US copy I buy, and I wont be buying a US copy unless the shrink wrap is of the tight type, but I'd say you wont even need Trauma Center since Castlevania will easily last you 20 hours if you want to beat both modes.

PDorr3
10-01-2005, 12:54 PM
Has anyone imported this? Im interested to know about it.

importaku
10-01-2005, 02:31 PM
Yeah i have the japanese version of trauma centre its a great game.

Im stuck at operation 30 which im pretty sure is the last one. The operations are totally fantasy based where you will see strange parasites swimming through peoples bodies causing damage that you have to repair.

But there are quite a few procedures that are realistic too, but don't be expecting a proper super realisic surgery game.

I'll be geting the us version when its out so i can enjoy the story elements as they are lost on me in the japanese version. Theres quite a bit of replay value as you are graded from D right upto S rank depending on how well you did.

joshnickerson
10-01-2005, 02:48 PM
I wont be buying a US copy unless the shrink wrap is of the tight type...

??? O_O Huh? What does that mean?

sharp
10-01-2005, 02:53 PM
Suprised to see there are no topics on this yet (that I saw in the search).
I was under the impression this came out rhe 11th, but Im happy to know it comes out the same day as castlevania!
Also I am very pleased to see it is getting good reviews.
Anyon else excited for this game?
Only thing I am worried about is replay value and how many operations there are to do.

I just finished Castlevania (euro). So I should wait a week with one of them as Castlevania will keep you busy. I just boiught my DS as there were 3 games released in September which were worth my money (also Meteos and Advance Wars). But I didn't even had time yet to go into Advance Wars.

philosophyst
10-05-2005, 03:18 PM
I thought I would bring this thread back up to the top because it just came out today. I picked it up about an hour ago but haven't played it yet. Anyone else get this game yet? Let us know what you think, I will post again after I try it out.

THATinkjar
10-05-2005, 03:24 PM
Yeah i have the japanese version of trauma centre its a great game.

Any replay value to the game, importaku?

PDorr3
10-05-2005, 04:11 PM
Picked this up today along with castlevania.

So far I really really enjoy it. Just like the reviews said, the operations make you get all tense and they really pull you into the game.
The story is interesting enough and is well told. I have played about an hour and have done about 7 operations, right now Im on one that is really hard though...

You might feel overwhelmed at first with all the tools, and the 3rd operation you are expected to know what to do with no help, but it catches on quickly, and you will be cutting, removing, stitching, and bandaging like a pro soon enough.

I just wish the medicine or whatever to bring the heart rate back up wasnt included, its a cheap way to stay alive, but it doesnt always work, especialy if you have blood pouring all over. Also this game is harsh on ratings, I have gotten a rank C everytime with one B, and its grading on stitches and cutting is downright brutal, I draw a perfect incesion and get "Bad", but whatever.

Overall Im really enjoying it, and it is the perfect game for DS. If you are borderline on picking this up I reccomend you do, it really is an enjoyable experience.

Drexel923
10-05-2005, 06:05 PM
I also picked it up today and just finished playing an hour or so. I'm really enjoying it so far. I blew through 6 or 7 operations and now I'm up to a crazy one that looks like it'll take some practice.

Like PDorr said, at first it was a little confusing, but after 4 operations you really start to get a feel for where everything is and I only was fumbling around a little.

Yet another good DS title to add to the collection.

PDorr3
10-05-2005, 08:46 PM
I have come upon my first problem with the game:

Im on one of the earlier operations in chapter 2 dealing with anerisms, right after you "learn" the healing touch. I find that after the part in the operation where you use the ability, they dont give you enough time to zoom in and out to attend to each anerism. Its nagging me because this same problem has caused me to fail every attempt and lose the operation, one of them bursts because it takes too long to zoom in and out. Anyone else find this annoying?

Drexel923
10-05-2005, 09:03 PM
I have come upon my first problem with the game:

Im on one of the earlier operations in chapter 2 dealing with anerisms, right after you "learn" the healing touch. I find that after the part in the operation where you use the ability, they dont give you enough time to zoom in and out to attend to each anerism. Its nagging me because this same problem has caused me to fail every attempt and lose the operation, one of them bursts because it takes too long to zoom in and out. Anyone else find this annoying?

Thats the one I'm stuck on too.

I think I almost have it down though. You have to try and get the camera to show all of the anerisms at once (a little tricky, and impossible for one or two), and then drain all of them at once...a little at a time.

I only tried it twice before taking a break...I don't think it'll be that bad when I go back to it.

importaku
10-05-2005, 09:15 PM
It really isn't too hard you just need to get used to working a lot faster. Theres a very good reason for it teaching you this quite early in the game.

On some of the later operations your going to be totally owned by some of those crazy parasites. Some of them cause obscene amounts of damage very quickly, so fast in fact that you have barely enough time to keep them alive let alone repairing the damage.

Go on budding sugeons (^_^) get practising & when you get to operation 30 be sure to let me know how to kill the parasites final form as its been driving me crazy.

On another note has anyone gotten any S ranks yet?? I have about 10 operations S ranked.

club210
10-05-2005, 09:27 PM
They should have "Microsurgeon" in this as an unlockable. LOL

petewhitley
10-05-2005, 09:32 PM
This is probably the first DS that really excites me. Cool concept, and truly a game that would not be as engaging without the touch screen device. IMO the DS needs more titles like this that naturally lend themselves to touch screen control.

philosophyst
10-05-2005, 09:48 PM
Every operation I have done is ranked as C which is Rookie.

I suck? LOL

I just completed chapter 1.

Drexel923
10-05-2005, 09:56 PM
Every operation I have done is ranked as C which is Rookie.

I suck? LOL

Yeah, I got a C rank on all but one of mine.

The other one I got an A 8-)

spider-man
10-06-2005, 06:59 PM
To importaku: To beat the mission 30, you need to

not use your healing touch until it happens automatically. Once derek uses it, you use yours, and then inject the serum (its basically healing touch x2)

PDorr3
10-06-2005, 07:58 PM
Yeah I heard someone esle say that drexel, everytime I get to it though I panic cuz the guy starts dieing fast. I always tried to do 1 at a time and it never worked.

Crazycarl
10-06-2005, 08:32 PM
yea i havn't baughten any DS games in a bit. so picking Truama Center, and Ace Pheonox is on the top of my to buy list. cant wait to get my hands on them

Drexel923
10-06-2005, 09:48 PM
Yeah I heard someone esle say that drexel, everytime I get to it though I panic cuz the guy starts dieing fast. I always tried to do 1 at a time and it never worked.

Well my own advice appears to not be working LOL

I tried it 2 more times today and it seemed like it was getting more impossible by the minute. But no worries, I picked up my reserved copy of Castlevania DoS and spent the rest of the day playing that :D

I'll be back to Trauma Center probably after Castlevania is done and we'll see if things get any easier.

BTW, I went back and tried to improve my score on the first couple levels...I was doing everything fast as hell and accurate, but I was still getting a Rank C x_x

philosophyst
10-06-2005, 10:10 PM
I'm on Chapter 4 now but still have all "C's" except for one "A". It's not easy to get past the Rookie rating.

djbeatmongrel
10-06-2005, 10:43 PM
got trauma center today, man this title is well worth the cash. it has a great story (think General Hospital like soap opera) and the game play is perfect for the touch screen. anyways, back to saving lives

SoulBlazer
10-06-2005, 11:08 PM
I like the game but I'm having a HARD time making the cuts with the schaphel/knife. What am I doing wrong? I start right at the end of the dotted line on the screen, move the stylus slowly, and go right down the line. Yet almost ALWAYS it says 'miss' and I have to start over. DAMN frustrating! :angry:

pragmatic insanester
10-07-2005, 01:11 AM
do the female patients have nipples in the japanese version?

philosophyst
10-07-2005, 10:46 AM
I like the game but I'm having a HARD time making the cuts with the schaphel/knife. What am I doing wrong? I start right at the end of the dotted line on the screen, move the stylus slowly, and go right down the line. Yet almost ALWAYS it says 'miss' and I have to start over. DAMN frustrating! :angry:

I tried to cut slow a few times and got miss as well. Ever since, I have been cutting quickly and it has been working fine. So, try cutting in one swift slice.

PDorr3
10-07-2005, 02:09 PM
When I cut with the scalpel I always get BAD, I guess I gotto do it quicker?

importaku
10-07-2005, 02:43 PM
Is it the first main cut in the operation that your having problems with???

Probably stating the obvious but when you make your very fist cut you have to sterilize the dotted line with that green healing paste stuff so the dots turn green. If you dont do that first then no matter how good the cut is it will always register as bad.

If it isn't this problem then i'll just shut up now :D

Crazycarl
10-07-2005, 03:12 PM
just picked it up. got the last one at the gamestop near my college. :D . and i have to say so far its hard, but fun as hell. def. pick up for anybody.

spider-man
10-07-2005, 03:17 PM
I just beat the game (cool ending). Once the game brings you back to the title screen after the credits, go to challenge. At the very bottom is an operation called x1. Its extremely hard, the blood loss (which leads to faster death of course), is insane. My guess is that when you beat all of the x missions, you'll get the true ending.

importaku
10-07-2005, 04:42 PM
How do you kill the spider parasite in operation 30??

spider-man
10-07-2005, 05:36 PM
I posted it on the first page of this topic *feels ignored*, LOL j/k

note that there will be another of this type of operation near the end of the game (much harder).

Btw, operation x1 is the incarnation of evil, still can't pass it, bah :/

SoulBlazer
10-07-2005, 08:23 PM
I'm actually having problems with 2-2 -- I think that's the one it is, with all of the blood clots you have to treat and remove on the intenstines. Even using the Magic Touch, the damn things pop so fast it kills the patient before I can do anything. :/

If THIS is tough, I can't imagine what will happen next. :eek 2:

Really unique game, though, despite being difficult. A lot of fun.

PDorr3
10-07-2005, 08:41 PM
I'm actually having problems with 2-2 -- I think that's the one it is, with all of the blood clots you have to treat and remove on the intenstines. Even using the Magic Touch, the damn things pop so fast it kills the patient before I can do anything. :/

If THIS is tough, I can't imagine what will happen next. :eek 2:

Really unique game, though, despite being difficult. A lot of fun.

a friend of mine is stuck on that one as well. The trick is to constantly inject him with the green vacination so that you can buy time to remove them all. If you dont do this is just...nearly impossible to remove them in time. This is the one where you first get the healing touch right? Im stuck on the one after it, I simply cannot treat all the naerisms in time :(

Also yes, I forgot to put the gel on the cut before I did it, thanks :)

spider-man
10-07-2005, 10:37 PM
lol, I learned that the green serum is for healing when I got to the part where you have to treat 5 patients in 10 minutes (I managed to do it after many, many tries. Doing all 5 nets you a S ranking it seems, at least it did for me). I was wondering why this game was so freaking hard, I was unintentionally handicapping myself. LOL

philosophyst
10-07-2005, 11:04 PM
lol, I learned that the green serum is for healing when I got to the part where you have to treat 5 patients in 10 minutes (I managed to do it after many, many tries. Doing all 5 nets you a S ranking it seems, at least it did for me). I was wondering why this game was so freaking hard, I was unintentionally handicapping myself. LOL

I'm stuck on the 5 patients in 10 minutes part, there's just not enough time! @_@

Anyway, I'm wondering how close this is to the end of the game? Can someone please let me know, thanks!

importaku
10-08-2005, 08:53 AM
I posted it on the first page of this topic *feels ignored*, LOL j/k

note that there will be another of this type of operation near the end of the game (much harder).

Btw, operation x1 is the incarnation of evil, still can't pass it, bah :/

DOH, didn't see that :D

Hehe thanks, i was wondering why my efforts to kill it were not working.

"runs off to finally kill that thing, yay"

Cmtz
10-08-2005, 04:24 PM
I just bought the game and I love it. It is so different and new. Exactly what I was looking for. I know I'm kinda late to this thread, but i wus sick in the hospital. :(

philosophyst
10-09-2005, 03:58 PM
I'm stuck on the 5 patients in 10 minutes part, there's just not enough time! @_@

Anyway, I'm wondering how close this is to the end of the game? Can someone please let me know, thanks!

-_-
Anyone have an answer for me?

philosophyst
10-10-2005, 08:22 PM
EDIT: Just passed 5-4 so no need to ask the question anymore.

Graham Mitchell
10-10-2005, 09:49 PM
When I cut with the scalpel I always get BAD, I guess I gotto do it quicker?

Are you disinfecting first? I was having that problem until I reviewed the first surgery in the "challenge" mode. Gotta disinfect first.

Yeah, I'm a little late, but I bought the game on Saturday. Love it, love it. Incidentally, I've spent the last 4 weeks in the OR for OB-GYNE. Here's the realism breakdown:

1)the surgeries are totally fake, and

2) the nurses yelling at you all the time is totally realistic, and the writers and artists should recieve a goddamn pulitzer prize for it. They really got the accurate look of the nurses and pissed off attendings screaming with their mouths shaped like giant O's. This happens to me everyday. The unrealistic thing is that the nurses in the game are yelling about (supposedly) important things, while the nurses at Cook County Hospital only yell at you because you're sitting at "their" computer (that says 'Property of John H. Stroger Hospital' all over it), or somebody else scribbled out a patient note, so they feel the need to call you stupid because of it.

djbeatmongrel
10-11-2005, 06:43 PM
gah i am stuck on 4-10 (i think its operation 24, the secretary and the new laser) any tips for when the core starts freakin out?

sisko
10-11-2005, 07:05 PM
I need to pick up a new game for a road trip coming up this weekend, and I am debating between this and Lost in Blue.

How many hours of gameplay are in Trauma Center?
For those of you that have already beaten it, how is the replayability?

Cmtz
10-11-2005, 07:14 PM
I need to pick up a new game for a road trip coming up this weekend, and I am debating between this and Lost in Blue.

How many hours of gameplay are in Trauma Center?
For those of you that have already beaten it, how is the replayability?

Here's something you have to think about. Both are great games. Truama Center can be picked up and put down in minutes, while Lost in Blue you have to invest some good time before putting it down.

THATinkjar
10-12-2005, 02:50 AM

I haven't played Trauma yet... but I would imaging playing it in a car to be quite difficult, considering how accurate you seemingly need to be. Answer? Pick up both, and then you have a choice :D

slip81
10-30-2005, 11:41 AM
I just got it yesterday with my Nintendogs DS Bundle, and it's a lot of fun so far. But I haven't been gaming a whole lot lately so I'm a bit out of practice, and am dreading the super hard operations.

[-Sentinel-]
10-30-2005, 12:26 PM
I wont be buying a US copy unless the shrink wrap is of the tight type...

??? O_O Huh? What does that mean?
LOL
The shrinkwrap of Castlevania: DoS is very gay!

SoulBlazer
10-30-2005, 04:14 PM
Okay, can anyone help me with the 'disarming the bomb' mission? I can do the water tanks and the dynamite fine, but I don't understand what to do next -- something about the laser and the microchips. Anyone done this one sucessfully and can walk me through it? :)

Apossum
10-30-2005, 04:29 PM
Okay, can anyone help me with the 'disarming the bomb' mission? I can do the water tanks and the dynamite fine, but I don't understand what to do next -- something about the laser and the microchips. Anyone done this one sucessfully and can walk me through it? :)

look for the wire coming out of each microchip. some of them lead to the dynamite (or whatever it you apply coolant to..been a few weeks since i've done it) and some of them don't-- destroy the chips that lead to the dynamite. hope that helps :-)

Cmtz
03-13-2006, 04:16 PM
I'm stuck in the 5 victims in 10 mins. Can anyone give he some hints?

Haoie
03-13-2006, 07:18 PM
For me, this is 1 of the few games I've played, ever, to actually make me literally sweat with tension and worry. Kudos!!

JWKobayashi
03-13-2006, 10:55 PM
I'm stuck in the 5 victims in 10 mins. Can anyone give he some hints?

You only have to actually save the first three or four. The game doesn't penalize you for missing the last one (except for your ranking, of course).

Still, I think this is the hardest mission that I beat so far (I'm on the last two or three).

FullCircle
03-14-2006, 07:31 AM
Holy crap! you guys are much further than I. I can't get past the one where you have to remove glass from this dude's heart, and every time I start sewing him up, he dies.

Actually, I should put this in the thread of video games that you will not go back to. What a stressful game. Who wants to come home and exert more stress on themselves? It's like playing stuntman.

marcus12024
03-14-2006, 11:12 AM
Holy crap! you guys are much further than I. I can't get past the one where you have to remove glass from this dude's heart, and every time I start sewing him up, he dies.

Actually, I should put this in the thread of video games that you will not go back to. What a stressful game. Who wants to come home and exert more stress on themselves? It's like playing stuntman.

You did know that the green stuff you can inject into a person at any time will stabilize the patient, thus increasing their heart rate, right? If not, that should help you out a lot! I didn't realize this until about mission 15, at which point the game was becoming impossible. Now it's not bad at all.

I am dumb, as I just finished the game and only now realized that every incision I was doing was labelled "bad" because I forgot to put gel on it first. D'oh!

cyberfluxor
03-19-2006, 09:58 PM
:) I really liked the reviews and videos of playing this game. It looked like a great game and still does. I enjoy reading some of the questions, comments, and issues you have about the game. I'm still sure I'll end up buying this title when I get a DS!