PDA

View Full Version : Rumor - Nintendo Revolution for less than $100

Cmtz
10-08-2005, 01:24 AM
This is a rumor that has been spreading for the last 2 days I was in the hospital with now clue about what was going on. It seems like there are some people who are saying the Rev will come out at $100. Is it really possible for Nintendo to do this, and will it help it's current situation?

This is an OPINION! --- The graphics on the Xbox360 are not so WOW! I feel that if Nintendo can make their next system 4 times as powerful as the Gamecube they can compete with Xbox. I still don't know about Sony though. A system that is only 4 times better than the gamecube could run around 100 dollars. So it could be possible.

Sothy
10-08-2005, 02:43 AM
With the revolution controller Id assume they are going to pay me 200 bucks to take one home.

jajaja
10-08-2005, 03:08 AM
I can almost guaranatee you that the Revolution wont cost $100 at launch.

robotriot
10-08-2005, 03:10 AM
I doubt it, just look at the GBA Micro's price :/

xmagxus
10-08-2005, 03:42 AM
I'd bet my collection that the launch price of the revolution will be 199.99

smork
10-08-2005, 03:45 AM

That'd be very smart, and very stupid to have it any cheaper, unless Nintendo just wants to bleed red ink. $100 less than the price of the cheapest XBox 360, and half the likely price of the PS3? May give it some life....

DigitalSpace
10-08-2005, 04:08 AM
With the way things are going, I'll be really surprised if the Revolution launches any lower than $299.

joshnickerson
10-08-2005, 07:10 AM
Even if it costs very little to make, it probably wouldn't be smart to price it under $100. Why? If someone is shopping for a new console, and sees that the Rev. is $200 cheaper than the other two consoles, he's just going to think the Rev. is just a cheap, wimpy console and go with something else. It's the same mentality that caused people to go with Xbox, simply because it was bigger than the Gamecube they assumed it was much more powerful.

Lothars
10-08-2005, 07:49 AM
Cmtz I agree fully I don't think the xbox 360 is that wow

but I don't see the revolution price to be a hundred bucks right away it will start at around 200 I would say

but who know we will see.

Jumpman Jr.
10-08-2005, 07:56 AM
I read a huge debate on this yesterday on some other website. The main arguments FOR this rumor were as follows:

Nintendo did say that they wanted to appeal to non-gamers. Pricing a new console at $99 will make non-gamers buy it. I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday, he's not a gamer, but when I told him that it would cost $99, he said that he would buy it because "thats peanuts."

Apparantly, the hardware in the Revolution isn't a huge leap from the Gamecube. And the price of this hardware has gone down considerably since the Gamecube came out, therefore, making Nintendo able to price their console at $99.

The almost have to do this to compete against the PS3 and the 360. Though I still people will buy the Revolution if it were $200, they wouldn't get nearly as many compared to if it were $99.

Actually, pricing a console at $99 is very smart. You sell your consoles for dirt cheap, then you make your money selling the software for that console. Its like printers.

Dangerboy
10-08-2005, 08:23 AM
That'd be very smart, and very stupid to have it any cheaper, unless Nintendo just wants to bleed red ink

Nintendo has about $3 Billion in the Bank. I'm sure they'll be just fine. Plus they actually are making money off of the $100 Game Cubes, whatever they're planning must be pretty good.

To offer a different angle on the Micro, most of the money is for the screen, since the Revolution has no screen, plenty of money saved right there.

On the Developer side, that $100 to $199 price point may be the greatest thing since sliced bread. As long as Nintendo does't play greedy with the licensing fees, most companies (I'd assume) would look at a system that people are only spending 'peanuts' on as a prime stomping grounds.

BrokenFlight
10-08-2005, 08:26 AM
Even if it does sell for $100, it'll still be over 100 here.

Mr.FoodMonster
10-08-2005, 11:32 AM
If they sold it for $200, they would win the battle. Hands freaking down.

PDorr3
10-08-2005, 12:09 PM
$100 would be awsome, and I doubt it would hurt them in turns of sales, it would probably help them by app;ealing to casual/non gamers because its affordable.

$200 would still be wise, and I hope it doesnt launch anywhere higher than that.

Gideon
10-08-2005, 12:46 PM
I'll take you up on that offer; I have a feeling it's going to be 199.95.

zerohero
10-08-2005, 12:58 PM
I think they will be doing a good job releasing it at 199. Thats a sweet price. 99.99 Is kinda of just a dream. What system has ever launched at 99.99 bucks? The lowest I could see the revolution is 150.

Gamemaster_ca_2003
10-08-2005, 02:36 PM
I don't see the revolution launching at $99. Most likely will see it launch at $149-$199.

Mangar
10-08-2005, 03:09 PM
If Nintendo releases the Revolution at any other pricepoint then 100$ - It's looking at another 3rd place finish in the console wars.

I know many parents and other "Non-Hardcore" gamer types who simply aren't going to buy any of the new systems(X-Box, Sony) at those pricepoints. At a 200$ pricepoint, those same people may consider the Revolution, but if they are already looking at dropping 200$ for "Compromise" system - They may just drop a little extra to get the console that they REALLY want. IE: A Sony or X-Box.

A 100$ pricepoint removes that factor. Since they make more money on licensing anyway, it would be a smart business move on Nintendo's part. Nintendo consoles haven't been a "must-have" dominant system since the NES.(and arguably the SNES) Getting the things into peoples hands at any way possible will change that. Especially by coming out at 1/4'th the cost of the competition. Hell, i'd even buy one and give X-Box 360 the middle finger.

xmagxus
10-08-2005, 03:56 PM
Well if the games listed at gamestop are any vague sign of the launch lineup there will be 5 MUST own titles at launch. Obviously that list isnt even announced but IF gamestop magically predicted right then there will be a metroid, mario, smash bros, zelda, and final fantasy game at launch. I'd be shocked ifthat happened since no console that I can remember has ever launched with all those top tier titles at once. IF i thappens though nintendo would be off to a great start and easily have the best launch lineup over 360, and most likely the ps3.

I still think the price for the revolution wll launch at around 200 dollars give or take a few cents. If nintendo is stupid they will make it 299.99 though which could very well happen. I seriously doubt the system will launch at 100 dollars because then people might hold back on buying games. "59.99 for games to play on a 100 dollar system!???? no thanks"

But if the system is 200 dollars, 60 dollar games dont sound as bad imo.

Spinal
10-08-2005, 04:02 PM

I disagree. Personally, I think that we will get the same price, 1:1 exchange rate. e.g. if it sells for 99 bucks in usa, we'll get it for 99 quid.

I've seen that happen with most comptuing equipment in england....

On a side note, if Ninty, REALLY wanted to win the console wars, (imho) they would need to do nothing more than have all their games on DVD disks, copying-able in a standard DVD-/+ R burner; it tends to be a HUGS incentive; especially as magazines can make their own "demo" disks and piracy (contrary to popular belief) does help a console a great deal; look at what it did for the PS1...
Michele

donkeykong1
10-08-2005, 04:06 PM
I think they should start at 200 and see how sale go. If they wanted they could drop the price within a few months or even weeks according to the appeal it makes to the public. I don't plan on buying any of the systems at launch, but if it di sell for 100 dollars I would buy it. Like someone else said, "that's peanuts". Then I would buy the games I really like.

Leo_A
10-08-2005, 05:27 PM
150 is my bet.

tarheelsnipe
10-08-2005, 05:51 PM
This will be interesting to revisit after the launch.
i think $150 is still too low.
after their research firms and price analysts are finished with their data collection, they'll realize that there is a HUGE market for the vintage games they're planning on releasing as downloadable content. They could market the Revolution on that point alone and guys like me will flock to the EB's and Gamestops of the world.

The vintage games have nostalgic appeal. And what better way to bond with your kids? No violence or adult themes. After all, the NES kids of yesterday have procreated, and we want to share the enjoyment of SMB, Zelda, and Lolo with our kids. Pack those in with the next-gen launch titles, and they've got a winner.

$200 console. $250 console + 1 game and 2 free downloads. that's the guess i'm pulling out of the air.

Tritoch
10-08-2005, 06:29 PM
Given what Microsoft and Sony are charging, there's no way they'll sell the Revolution for $100. They can sell it for $200 and still be the cheapest by far (barring a 360 price drop).

NintendoMan
10-08-2005, 06:54 PM
With the revolution controller Id assume they are going to pay me 200 bucks to take one home.

I am assuming you haven't heard or read that there will also be a conventional controller made as well?

Leo_A
10-08-2005, 07:40 PM
"I am assuming you haven't heard or read that there will also be a conventional controller made as well?"

Where was that ever said? I've heard about a controller shell, but little is known about it yet.

JJNova
10-08-2005, 08:36 PM

Just w\quoting that so that you can't edit the message at a later date ;)

ice1605
10-08-2005, 08:52 PM
Even I could afford one if it was $99. I certainly hope so! But, while Nintendo would probably beat the competiton hands down (I still think that they will win), they won't price it that low. Well, miracles could happen. (Nintendo execs- take note of this thread and make the price $99!!!)

Ice

Niku-Sama
10-08-2005, 10:15 PM
I'll take you up on that offer; I have a feeling it's going to be 199.95.

what is this the price is freaking right?

any way the Revolution will be my first nex gen console...i will pre order it....i havent been stoked about any thing like this in a long time...my main reason is the possibility of legacy games for download...and after seeing the controller i am 90% sure theyre going to....imagine holding the revolution controller side ways...look at D-pad and B and A buttons....schwing!

hbkprm
10-08-2005, 11:57 PM
$175 usd
(ps3) $300 usd
(360) $400-700 usd

nintendo is bound for a comeback

hydr0x
10-09-2005, 04:06 AM
$175 usd
(ps3) $300 usd
(360) $400-700 usd

nintendo is bound for a comeback

are you insane? the 360 price is already definate, and it's 299 core, 399 full

Sothy
10-09-2005, 04:16 AM
On a side note, if Ninty, REALLY wanted to win the console wars, (imho) they would need to do nothing more than have all their games on DVD disks, copying-able in a standard DVD-/+ R burner; it tends to be a HUGS incentive; especially as magazines can make their own "demo" disks and piracy (contrary to popular belief) does help a console a great deal; look at what it did for the PS1...
Michele

Ummmmm.................

yeah they should make it easy to pirate software for...

In fact screw it just go with a 3do business model.

Then invest all of nintendos money into lik sang and retire to the bahamas.

Spinal
10-09-2005, 04:33 AM
Michele

Ummmmm.................

yeah they should make it easy to pirate software for...

In fact screw it just go with a 3do business model.

Then invest all of nintendos money into lik sang and retire to the bahamas.

LMAO! NO, that wasn't the point. What I'm saying is that (imho) what REALLY helpped the PS1 shoot up from nothing, was that any magazine, shop, jim or bob could grab some demos (or compile their own) get permission and burn millions of copies at 5p a disk, thus being able to distribute them free with magazines and stuff.

I remember back when I was with my 64 and my friend had a PS1, his main point over buying a PS1 (in uk at least) was that he could buy a magazine for a couple of pounds and have 5/6 demo's on a disk with it, (and possibly an older full game).

As for normal people copying, well... thats a different matter altogether. Something like what Sony did would be good, where it is possible, but it is relatively hard and usually requires console mods. Thus, there will be a few people who know how and do some copies, a couple of authorised people (e.g. magazines, shops etc) who make billions of demo cd's and then the billions of standard users who can buy the demo cd's and the full cd's at their own discretion...
Michele

PentiumMMX
10-09-2005, 09:41 AM
NRev looks cool and all, but I'll still get a Gamecube, just in case there is any 1st-Release Glitches (SCPH-1001 PlayStation, anyone?)

...and on price, I think it will be $199.

AARON-LEON
10-09-2005, 09:43 AM
I just can't see the Revolution coming out for $100. I'm thinking somewhere between $190-$250. PS3 I'm thinking somwhere in the vicenity of $300. The 360....I don't even want to think about it.

squirrelnut
10-09-2005, 07:38 PM

I disagree. Personally, I think that we will get the same price, 1:1 exchange rate. e.g. if it sells for 99 bucks in usa, we'll get it for 99 quid.

I've seen that happen with most comptuing equipment in england....

Michele

HOW DRUNK ARE YOU MAN?!

Piracy is what makes them loose money. I don't know what ass-backwards economy you're thinking of. The consoles cost a lot more to make then what they sell for. They have always said that they make there money up in software sales not in hardware. You can't just look at the cost of the system components either, look at all the people who had to design test and revamp all of the hardware.

Software is easier to do. You build on existing software game engines.

Also remember the Dreamcast? Great game system. Great games. Easy to burn. One of the many economic factors that killed it.

Slate
10-09-2005, 09:31 PM
An $100 Rev.? That would make me buy one at launch. But i don't think it would be that cheap. $150 - $250 is more like it.

Icarus Moonsight
10-10-2005, 01:29 AM
Though I don't think that the Rev will launch below ~$200 I do think that it's possible for it to be launched at ~$100, fiscally. With N touting the Rev as their all out assault into online/network gaming, N could very well sell the consoles at a loss or at cost and make a profit through software sales, both game disks and downloads. There is a big market for "intangeble" sales. People have been selling game accounts and virtual property on eBay now for years. I think that N is keen to this and is working on tapping that market. I have no idea what their strategy is, but I'm sure that they are not ignoring Microsofts new Live features like marketplace.

My guess would be the (successful) $100 model would be something along the lines of;

- Sell the hardware as cheap as possible and sell as many units as possible. Even at $100 you may not be making a profit but neither is your competition. Most people will only buy one or two of the new systems... make yours the "So cheap it's a crime not to own!" one.

- With your high installment base and existing loved franchises outsell the competition in software. Earn back the 3rd party devs with the prospect of lucrative profit and mass exposure. Lock-up the software of said 3rd parties through exclusive contracts.

- Make Xbox Live yesterday's news. With a catalog of classic favorites to play and the best online gaming service around... that also happens to be FREE.

Mind you, I'm kinda putting myself in Iwata's shoes as I wrote this... I'm not grandstanding for N. They do that just fine by themselves. LOL

poloplayr
10-10-2005, 03:42 AM
[quote=smork]

That'd be very smart, and very stupid to have it any cheaper, unless Nintendo just wants to bleed red ink

Nintendo has about $3 Billion in the Bank. I'm sure they'll be just fine. Plus they actually are making money off of the $100 Game Cubes, whatever they're planning must be pretty good.

[quote]

Correction: they have about $7.02bn in cash assets.

AMG
10-10-2005, 04:29 AM
History tells me the Revolution will run $199 at launch.

If in fact Nintendo's new console does have a $99 price tag, then they will gain a ton of market shares this next generation. For the price of 2 new games people can pick up the Revolution! That would be awesome.

sabre2922
01-23-2006, 07:26 AM
In a recent interview with Nintendo's executive VP Reggie Fils-Aime, the company revealed its perspectives and future plans: (Source: News.com)

Nintendo wants to make its products for the mast audience, not too exclusive and expensive for general customers. For example, customer needs to spend over $700 for Xbox 360 with games and extra controllers.
Nintendo's handhelds and console will try not to integrate music and other things which aren't what great gaming experiences are all about
Revolution will cost less than US$300 (34600 yen or euro 248) at launch
Nintendo DS has successfully expanding the audience for gaming, which is not the case for Sony PSP.
Nintendo plans to show many Revolution game titles at E3 2006 in May
Major developers like EA, Ubisoft, Activision and THQ are all developing for Revolution
He predicts that Revolution will sell more units than Xbox 360 in the launch window
Nintendo DS has more than 10 million connections to the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection servers, and over 500,000 players in seven weeks; whereas Xbox Live took over 6 months to reach the same numbers.
----------------------------------------------------------
- Nintendo's stock price in Japan has raise by 6.4%, after the company announced that Revolution will cost less than US$300 at launch.

--------------------------------------------------------

Im thinking around $249.00 U.S. at launch

googlefest1
01-23-2006, 07:44 AM
mabey the rumor was misunderstood - mabey it will cost nintendo 100$ to make the revolution

if the system cam out at 100 i can see the public wondering whats wrong with the system - especialy since the other ones are priced higher -- even if the system cost them $40 to make i think a launch price of 100 is a mistake

Contrabassoon86
01-23-2006, 08:19 AM
Sony's PS3 could not come out at the price of $300. A Blue-Ray player currently runs at a minimum of $1,500. I see that the PS3 would have to cost more than the current XBOX360 (>$400).

GrandAmChandler
01-23-2006, 08:38 AM
I am shuffling this to the modern gaming forum

-Chris

(/me Does the truffle shuffle)

Ed Oscuro
01-23-2006, 08:44 AM
Interesting news there Sabre...one thing that makes me blink a bit though:

Nintendo DS has successfully expanding the audience for gaming, which is not the case for Sony PSP.
Okay, it seems that people who might not usually play games might have a DS, but how many people will this be? It's just a system that lets you do new things, but that doesn't automatically make it fascinating for non-gamers.

In the case of the PSP, I think you can make a similar argument that it brings in people who want a portable movie player and who might think about playing games as well (in addition to the people who would buy a PSP for playing games and to whom the movie playback is a feature).

The bottom line is really how many sales it's making. Maybe the Rev will bring non-gamers in droves, and then maybe not (though I think it has the promise to attract lots of people who don't like traditional controllers, if they market it right).

SkiDragon
01-23-2006, 12:28 PM
When they say "less than $300", they usually mean $299.99, which I think is too much.

Jibbajaba
01-23-2006, 03:16 PM
When they say "less than $300", they usually mean $299.99, which I think is too much.

I agree. I was excited about buying a Revolution when it comes out if it were going to be $199. At $299, I will not be buying one at launch. It's OK, I have enough games to keep me entertained for a long time to come.

Chris

hezeuschrist
01-23-2006, 03:54 PM

I agree. I was excited about buying a Revolution when it comes out if it were going to be $199. At $299, I will not be buying one at launch. It's OK, I have enough games to keep me entertained for a long time to come.

Chris

I highly doubt a $300 price point. I just can't fathom WHY it would cost more than $200.

norkusa
01-23-2006, 04:06 PM
I wouldn't doubt it. Although, a console priced at even $199 is more practical and cheap enough to get non-gamers interested in it considering how much the 360 is (and how much the PS3 will probably cost).

Plus, you gotta keep in mind that Nintendo would balance out the cheap cost of the system by not lowering the price on its games for 1-2 years. Just look at older GameCube games like Mario Kart and Mario Tennis. Those games have both been out for well over a year now and they still retail at $50 each. You never see PS2 & Xbox games retail for that much after sitting on the shelves that long.

Sylentwulf
01-23-2006, 07:23 PM
$249 at release, with a $50 price cut within 6 months would be their best bet IMO.
Releasing the revolution at $300 when they're flat out SHOUTING it's LACK of features isn't a good idea. For $300, they could add the $5 HDTV outputs :P

davepesc
01-23-2006, 07:27 PM
I'm interested in the Revolution, and I'm a guy who bought a total of 2 games for his Game Cube.

At $299, I'm no longer interested. I'd rather pay $399 for a PS3, and I'm a guy who bought 100+ games for PS2.

The Rev NEEDS to be $199.

SlayerX
01-23-2006, 08:58 PM
If the price is $100, I'll definitly be buying it, but since that seems unlikely, I'll be passing, at least until a price drop, or enough stuff comes out that interests me.

Tron 2.0
01-24-2006, 05:40 AM
I see it as rumors from, Nintendo fanboys plan and simple.

Watch it will be "$199.99 then $99.99" afther a few years later ;)

DonMarco
01-24-2006, 07:32 AM
I doubt it, just look at the GBA Micro's price :/
$100, same as the GBA SP and the original GBA at their launches.

I'd expect the Revolution at $200-250. I'm not getting my hopes up for anything fantastic here.

ianoid
01-24-2006, 10:59 AM
I'm betting on $199, even if they COULD launch it for $100, because unlike MS, Nintendo makes money on hardware.

PS3 will have to be $350, probably $399, maybe more. Sony also makes money on hardware, or at least breaks even, unlike MS. MS went with DVD because Blu-Ray drives and HD-DVD are simply too expensive and would have forced them into similar price point. Even Sony cannot create drives cheaply this early in the product cycle. I said it here, a $499 price point for PS3 isn't impossible.

I hope that the downloadable content classics for Rev are modified for online play. I'd like to see all the multiplayer games available to play online, and I'd like to see more high score boards, like local, regional and national high scores. And time records- like 'fastest completion of SMB'. And good protection from cheaters. All these things would make it competitive with Xbox live.

What will the abreviation for Revolution be? NRE? REV? NIR?

rbudrick
01-24-2006, 11:43 AM
$99 is too cheap...not inexpensive...cheap. People will see a starting price that low and think it must be garbage compared to the other systems out. Theres no friggin way it will sell at that price. It will definitely be between $199 and $299.

People see value related to low prices, but sometimes people EXPECT to pay more or else they get suspicious. SOmetimes value is related to a higher price, not lower. This is one of those rare cases where people will actually want to pay more for psychological reasons.

-Rob

hezeuschrist
01-24-2006, 02:33 PM
$99 is too cheap...not inexpensive...cheap. People will see a starting price that low and think it must be garbage compared to the other systems out. Theres no friggin way it will sell at that price. It will definitely be between $199 and $299.

People see value related to low prices, but sometimes people EXPECT to pay more or else they get suspicious. SOmetimes value is related to a higher price, not lower. This is one of those rare cases where people will actually want to pay more for psychological reasons.

-Rob

Absolutely, and the best example of this: ESPN NFL 2k5. Some guy told me it was "fools gold" and he had never played it. His sole rationalization was that it was less than half the price of madden, so it had to be half as good. I wanted to castrate him.

PS3 will have to be $350, probably $399, maybe more. Sony also makes money on hardware, or at least breaks even, unlike MS. MS went with DVD because Blu-Ray drives and HD-DVD are simply too expensive and would have forced them into similar price point. Even Sony cannot create drives cheaply this early in the product cycle. I said it here, a $499 price point for PS3 isn't impossible.

I downright expect a $500 price for the PS3. They've done nothing but butter people up to make them expect to have to mortgage the house to afford one at launch, and they've done it so people wont absolutely crucify them when it launches at "only" $500.

But still, it's really hard to imagine a $500 console actually being successful. I really can't see it being more than $400, but for some reason I'm really expecting the worst.

WanganRunner
01-25-2006, 06:06 PM
The easy way to determine whether or not Nintendo will sell at $99 is to decide whether or not that would be selling at a loss.

Nintendo has never and will never sell a console at a loss, not on launch day and not any other day. That's WHY they have $7 billion.

I expect $199 or $149, but given that they've already said that each unit includes the base controller, the "shell", and the analog attachment, I don't think they could provide all that, with the base hardware for $99 or less.