PDA

View Full Version : Metroid Pinball DS... WOW!!!

segagamer4life
10-14-2005, 02:33 PM
I just got back from my local Gamestop, and the Nintendo rep happened to be there changing the DS Demo's, he took out advance wars, and put in Metroid Pinball. I got to play this for a solid half hour, and all I can say is its perfect pinball bliss, the graphics are great, and the modes nice, I didn't mess with the touch screen, but thats where the bottom part of the pinball board is, and the top screen is the top part (obviously). Man this game is addictive, I didn't want to leave... I wasn't looking forward to this as much, before I played it, but now its like crack, I can't get enough, hell they probably laced the keys w/ crack..lol. Seriously though, if you like pinball, this game WON'T dissapoint. I can't wait for the full ver. Incidentally, I saw it has a wireless mode, I dunno if its wlan, or adhoc... but it would be cool if it supported wlan. One can dream.

Rabid Peanut-Butter
10-14-2005, 02:58 PM
Awesome. :D I'm planning on picking this up anyway, but it's great to hear that it's fun.

Pedro Lambrini
10-14-2005, 03:51 PM
I'm looking forward to this - I haven't played a good pinball game for quite a while! I'm particularly intrigued by the rumble though. I think this could become a really fun peripheral and hopefully other games will take advantage of it - especially MP: Hunters. :)

THATinkjar
10-14-2005, 05:33 PM
I created a topic on this (http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=72137) a few days back...

But I'm glad to hear it rocks. Can't friggin' wait!

segagamer4life
10-14-2005, 08:14 PM
yeah I saw that, after I posted, I just wanted to post my experience, I was just so taken by this game, I can't wait to get it..

Sand_monkey
10-14-2005, 08:23 PM
Metroid pinball?

Ergh... I can't stand it when they take a good series and make pinball games out of them... that being said I did enjoy sonic spinball...

Never mind, don't listen to me, i'm going nuts...

segagamer4life
10-14-2005, 08:27 PM
yeah sonic pinball was good, and an exception to the rule, and I think this will be the same case, trust me... give it a shot.

Alska
10-14-2005, 10:49 PM
Metroid pinball?

Ergh... I can't stand it when they take a good series and make pinball games out of them... that being said I did enjoy sonic spinball...

Never mind, don't listen to me, i'm going nuts...

I'm with you Sand_Monkey...actually, I think it's the fact that they are taking my favorite license and converting it into yet another completely different genre. I had a hard enough time going from side scroller to FPS. Thank gos for the SP so I can still get some of the side-scrolling yumminess. Pinball though? feh...

boatofcar
10-14-2005, 10:55 PM
I'll need a good pinball game this winter. I can't remember being this excited about getting a system as I am now, waiting for Animal Crossing DS to come out so I can get a DS :D

Jasoco
10-15-2005, 01:00 AM
Ooh, I bet they changed our kiosk at work. I'll have to totally check it out tomorrow. 8-)

Six Switch
10-15-2005, 08:10 AM
i am more excited for hunters but this should still be good.every now and then i still play pokemon pinball,what a fun game.

Rabid Peanut-Butter
10-15-2005, 01:21 PM
yeah sonic pinball was good, and an exception to the rule, and I think this will be the same case, trust me... give it a shot.

I quite enjoyed the Pokémon Pinball games. The Pinball of the Dead was pretty good too. :D

I see nothing wrong with making games like this as long as they don't abandon the normal franchises. We still have a Metroid Prime 3, Metroid Prime Hunters, and supposedly the Metroid Dread. A little extra Metroid love in the form of pinball is fine with me. :)

Famidrive-16
10-15-2005, 03:16 PM
Hope this doesn't suck as bad as Mario Pinball.

Hey thanks for erasing my game randomly! Jackass game cartridge. :/

Jasoco
10-16-2005, 04:52 AM
:(

The Nintendo Rep didn't change our kiosk. We still have Nintendogs. Damn. I'll have to see if GameStop has it next time I'm there. I love pinball. And I'm new to Metroid. This sounds like a game I'd love. But I'd have to see it first.

THATinkjar
10-19-2005, 03:31 AM
IGN aren't exactly full of praise for the rumble pak (http://ds.ign.com/articles/659/659378p1.html), then... At least their review will be up before the week is up. The game, at least, should be good. Nintendo don't often screw up.

suckerpunch5
10-21-2005, 11:27 PM
I just got this game a couple days ago. I'm not a real fan of video pinball games, but Metroid pinball is suprisingly good. It really is fun. I think the ruble pak really helps make the game. Like, when you hit bumpers, the DS shakes like a real pinball machine. It really adds to the game in my opinion. Also, how many other pinball games have boss fights?

I was admittedly skeptical, but I think Nintendo has sucessfully blended these two ideas and made a really fun game. Once you start figuring out the tables, it really is fun. BTW, my high score so far: 1, 800,000. I can't remember it exactly, but it was one million 8 hundred thousand something.

RockyRaccoon
10-21-2005, 11:39 PM
Penny Arcade Says it All:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2001/20010221l.gif

Sailorneorune
10-22-2005, 01:14 AM
Is it just me, or do pinball games seem better when they're portable?
I think Sonic Spinball made it to the GBA, if I'm not mistaken...

The Pokemon Pinball games were good, and I think Metroid Prime Pinball will be worth playing as well.

-Sailorneorune

Daltone
10-22-2005, 01:42 AM
Also, how many other pinball games have boss fights?

The Kirby one on the Gameboy did, they were some of my favorite bits. I played that game for hours and hours, and all this talk of Metroid is now tempting me to buy that. If Metriod Pinball is anywhere near as addictive as that damn Kirby game it'll be well worth the money ..

Joelius
10-22-2005, 01:50 AM
We got our demos replaced out at work by our Nin. rep also. The demo is just....wow. Slick to say the least. I stood there playing for 45 minutes after my shift ended, just because it was that cool! (that being said I also have the high score on the demo too).

But yeah, it's pretty darned awesome, and I'm pretty stoked over it. Looks like i'll have to pick up another DS game.

studvicious
10-22-2005, 08:44 AM
Yeah, I just wanted to chime in here and tell of it's "awesomeness". I played the demo at Wal-Mart and didn't want to leave. Very fun! :D

Jasoco
10-23-2005, 08:44 PM
Is it just me, or do pinball games seem better when they're portable?No, you're right. I love Pinball games, but I love them more when they're portable. They're much better as a pick-up-and-go game. On the big screen I don't spend nearly as much time playing them. I LOVE CrüeBall on the Nomad. But put it in the Genesis and I don't have as much fun. I LOVED Kirby's Pinball. (How I wish they'd make a sequel for the GBA or even DS.) Pokémon Pinball was pretty good. And this game looks awesome.

And Mario had a REAL pinball table back in the day. I like this idea and can't wait to get this game.

boatofcar
10-23-2005, 09:34 PM
All this comes through in a unique display that spans both of the Nintendo DS screens as one single screen. Like Mario Pinball Land, the pinball tables are confined and do not scroll, which makes it a lot easier to aim for targets from the bottom of the screen to the top.

Ok, I'm getting this. I HATE it when the screen scrolls in a pinball game, which is why I hated Sonic Spinball. So that makes 3 games I'm getting for the DS next month-Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, and this.

segagamer4life
10-24-2005, 07:22 AM

I quite enjoyed the Pokémon Pinball games. The Pinball of the Dead was pretty good too. :D

I see nothing wrong with making games like this as long as they don't abandon the normal franchises. We still have a Metroid Prime 3, Metroid Prime Hunters, and supposedly the Metroid Dread. A little extra Metroid love in the form of pinball is fine with me. :)

Oh yeah i forgot to mention pinball of the dead, I like that, don't own it but I played it, and its on my LONG list of games to get eventually, but a good game nonetheless.

goatdan
10-24-2005, 01:02 PM
Portable pinball games seem to do much better because the limitations of the software and screensize tends to make developers really think about what they are doing with it. Instead of adding countless bells and whistles, they just have to do the basic pinball properties, and that is what ultimately makes a pinball game good.

Metroid Pinball looks like a stupid way to incorporate a popular license into a really good game. I am interested...

For the record, Pinball Hall of Fame is an EXCELLENT console pinball game, as it recreates a bunch of them down to the smallest details. The only unfortunate thing is most of the games it recreates are older ones. Still, totally worth a purchase though.

delafro
10-25-2005, 12:38 AM
I played a demo of it in Best Buy, and definitely had a lot of fun doing it. This game is officially "on the radar"

dbiersdorf
10-25-2005, 12:42 AM
I'm still skeptical as the developer is the same one who made Mario Pinball, and that game sucked hard. They focused way too much on the visuals over the gameplay, and from recent reviews the same is said for this as well.

djbeatmongrel
11-01-2005, 03:16 PM
i picked up this game last week. it is really good. its suprising how well they transfered the series to pinball. basically if you like the prime series it feels like prime in pinball form. i dont know how they did it but they friggin did.

the rumble pak is a nice extra to. its not needed but it does add a nifty little kick to the game play.

THATinkjar
11-01-2005, 03:18 PM
I just ordered my copy. Should be here by Thursday or Friday. Can't friggin' wait!

AlexKidd
11-21-2005, 05:44 AM
I'm a bit late on this but I just picked this game up today and i've gotta say it's replaced Devil's Crush as the best video pinball game i've ever played. I've been a fan of both metroid prime games and the way they used the atmosphere of those and turned it into a pinball game is awesome. I think all of the music is from the prime games as well. And I was skeptical about the rumble pak but i'm really liking it. It makes the game feel more like a real pinball machine than any other console or pc pinball games have. This is probably my second favorite ds game now. Castlevania is still number one.

jdc
11-21-2005, 08:40 AM
I'm glad to hear of this one's level of greatness, since I was just going to buy it blind when I get my DS next week. I love the idea of the dual screens being used as top and bottom of the machine.

slip81
11-21-2005, 11:38 AM
I played a demo of this at target the other day and liked it a lot.

I'm gonna pick this one up, but I'm not sure when seeing as there are so many great games on the DS that I want.

If I get enough cash for my birthday I might splurge and buy this and Sonic Rush.

Jasoco
03-06-2006, 06:23 AM
I'm sorry. I have to bump this as I am late to the party.

I just got this yesterday and am impressed. I only played the demo for a minute a few months ago and hated it mainly because I was uncomfortable with the height of the kiosk and couldn't play for that long. But I decided on a whim to get it yesterday with Super Peach and have to say I am impressed. I love it. It's pure Pinball. It's awesome. It's sad the team didn't put Mario Pinball on the DS using this same formula, maybe that game wouldn't have sucked. This game, it does not suck.

But what does suck is the Rumble Pak. Or should I say "Shake lightly and make loud noise Pak"? Seriously, anyone elses Rumble Pak suck?

Also, as with all pinball games, they always set the requirements for unlocking new tables too high. *sigh*. I did get to play on Phendrana Drifts for a few minutes after scoring over a million and warping. But I didn't beat the boss so I guess that's why I didn't get to keep the level. :(

What are the requirements to get all the levels unlocked? I really HATE when a game gives you two levels and hides the rest and requires a high ass requirement to get the rest.

That said, remake of Mario Pinball in same style FTW?!

Iron Draggon
03-06-2006, 10:51 AM
SHIT. I knew this day would come. Now I MUST get a DS!

Sylentwulf
03-07-2006, 09:57 AM
Actually, I was rather impressed with the rumble pack. It's a pinball game, it shouldn't rumble HARD.

What I was VERY unimpressed with though, is the lack of boards. I think there are what, 4 boards to play on total? and 2 of them are just boss fights, leaving essentially, 2 real boards to play on :/

THATinkjar
03-07-2006, 10:44 AM
Actually, I was rather impressed with the rumble pack. It's a pinball game, it shouldn't rumble HARD.

What I was VERY unimpressed with though, is the lack of boards. I think there are what, 4 boards to play on total? and 2 of them are just boss fights, leaving essentially, 2 real boards to play on :/

The Multiplayer table is different. So, that makes 3.

Sylentwulf
03-07-2006, 01:23 PM

True, and I was going to mention that, but I have no friends, let alone friends with a DS and metroid pinball, rendering that table fairly useless.

THATinkjar
03-07-2006, 01:37 PM

True, and I was going to mention that, but I have no friends, let alone friends with a DS and metroid pinball, rendering that table fairly useless.

I play it on my own all the time :) And BTW, your friends (if, indeed, you had some...) wouldn't need a copy of the game... its single cart play.

djbeatmongrel
03-07-2006, 01:41 PM
anyone willing to send me their rumble pak, i lost mine somehow :/

NE146
03-07-2006, 02:05 PM
Yknow what's friggin funny is this game has been in my DS for a while. Anyway.. I go to change it the other day and I open the case to put it back in and what do I see? The RUMBLE PACK.

I had been playing all this time without it! .. I forgot it was supposed to have one. And I guess I didnt see it when I first opened the case x_x

eggwolio
03-07-2006, 02:13 PM
i broke 10 million a couple of weeks ago and it unlocked expert mode.

which basically just starts all the tables on level 2.

hezeuschrist
03-07-2006, 02:20 PM
I knew there were a couple titles I wanted to pick up before heading to Europe... excellent reminder. Long flights + DS = win.