PDA

View Full Version : Emulators on the xbox *UPDATED FIRST POST PICS*

Damion
11-07-2005, 11:53 PM
First let me say that if for some reason this is to dangerous of a topic please don't kill me :)

Now I plan on buying my kiddos there very own xbox for x-mas. I figured that I would soft mod it upgrade the hard drive (I'm not sure what the max is I'm hoping 200 gigs) and putting every game from n64 on back on it for them.

so my question is what are the best running emulators for it. I read something about emus running uh....sdk? were illegal. I personally don't care I'm sure I could still find them. so if any of you could help me out with advice and what would be best let me know.

also I'd like to note that I'm no novice so don't be afriad to be technical ;)
I downsized the orginal text as to not make my post to long if you want to read it just quote and it shall be large again :)

Finally found the time to get these pics up as promised of my kiddos enjoying some modded Xbox goodness.

OMG AN XBOX!!! (To be honest I made them sit for that picture hence the lack of joy in there faces. They did not want to wait to play it)

http://mercury.walagata.com/w/motokochan/IMG_0568.JPG

Ok hold up the discs so I can take a picture (He had no idea what they were at that time) I had to rename the BAED's to BBED's cuss words are a nono in my house.

http://mercury.walagata.com/w/motokochan/IMG_0571.JPG

I tried to take the best pic I could of them playing street fighter 2 alpha. My oldest thought he ruled the roost till I jumped in and womped him. Humility is a good thing

http://mercury.walagata.com/w/motokochan/IMG_0573.JPG

http://mercury.walagata.com/w/motokochan/IMG_0576.JPG

This is where he was hopping around like a jack rabbit from excitment as well as loosing to his younger brother right after I womped him. I think I hurt his moral lol

http://mercury.walagata.com/w/motokochan/IMG_0577.JPG

Now my kiddos play mostly Halo 2 (when I think he has the mindset for it) and my oldest just tortures his younger sister and brother due to there lack of abliity. So once in awhile I humble him again so he'll be nicer. no pics of that though.

oh njiska I got those discs you sent me on the monday after X-mas thanks so much for trying. (It's ok I managed to D/L them the day right before X-mas eve.) Now I have one last question but thats in the last post.

ONE LAST THING

THANK YOU EVERYONE WHO HELPED WITH INPUT AND ENCOURAGEMENT!!

you guys are the best I would never have gotten this far without you. you guys rock and deserve a cookie. each and every one of you or I could give hugs all around ;)

dj898
11-07-2005, 11:56 PM
pretty much all mulators will have less than 100% compatibility issue... some more and some less...

I only use N64 and NeoGeo and frankly N64 on XBox isn't that good compared to others out there... NeoGeo however is great... my fav being original MetalSlug... :p

njiska
11-08-2005, 12:08 AM
pretty much all mulators will have less than 100% compatibility issue... some more and some less...

I only use N64 and NeoGeo and frankly N64 on XBox isn't that good compared to others out there... NeoGeo however is great... my fav being original MetalSlug... :p

The N64 Emu is probably the worst one on the system however all of the Emu's for the 8/16-bit Era are amazing with very high compatibility.

Aside from the fact that the Super CD Emu doesn't emulate all of the controller buttons everything else is just great.

If you're looking for a real good time then you should defintly get the Big-Assed emulator discs. 4 full DVDs of emulators and ROMs for the xbox. If you want them just give me a PM and i'll help you get a hold of them.

As for the HDD thanks to modern firmware there is no Gigabyte cap anymore, however i'd strongly advise you to take the Hardware mod route. Soft modding is ok, but I find a real xecuter mod chip is far more reliable and you don't have to worry about anything wiping out your soft mod.

I'm pretty knowledgable in the Xbox Scene so i'll tell you whatever you need to know.

Damion
11-08-2005, 10:36 AM
Great :)

Though I already have everything you can think of in terms of roms. So all I would really need on that front would be the proper emus.

I'm glad to here there is not limit on how big the drive can be. So a Hardware Mod would be the way to go then? I thinking your pretty much right considering I would be letting my kids play with it and I wouldn't be around it all the time to watch them with it.

So where would I pick up a xecuter chip from? Would I have to worry about sodering? I have very little exp. with doing that. So I wouldn't feel very confident doing it.

BTW I've pm'd ya :)

njiska
11-08-2005, 11:10 AM
Great :)

Though I already have everything you can think of in terms of roms. So all I would really need on that front would be the proper emus.

I'm glad to here there is not limit on how big the drive can be. So a Hardware Mod would be the way to go then? I thinking your pretty much right considering I would be letting my kids play with it and I wouldn't be around it all the time to watch them with it.

So where would I pick up a xecuter chip from? Would I have to worry about sodering? I have very little exp. with doing that. So I wouldn't feel very confident doing it.

BTW I've pm'd ya :)

Here's where i got mine http://www.system-mods.com/. I trust them whole-heartedly. And yes there are no solder options available.

As for the proper Emu's well that's what's so great bout the Big-Assed EMU discs. All the Emu's all properly configured.

unbroken
11-08-2005, 12:06 PM
Actually softmod is the way to go now. I have been modding xbox's for about 2 years and have found softmod's the best way to go(only the new ones). go to xbox-scene.org, and look up krazie's installer, it works perfect with no problems now, it takes about 5 min's if you know how to do everything correctly. my little sis has been using everyday for months and ive had no problems with it. as for emulators, n64 is just okay right now, you can get a few good games to work, but most work at about 50% speed. nes/genesis/psx/snes/segacd all work pretty good. anyway read up on softmods, if you'll find that they have pretty much rendered mod chips useless.

Damion
11-08-2005, 01:20 PM
Woah!

There is a ton of freaking options! It's like shopping for a pair of womens shoes, they all serve much of the same function But come in many styles and colors LOL

So I'll ask this, What method would allow the most funtionablity with an easy to Navigate user interface?

since my children are rather young that play (8,6,6 and 4) I don't want to worry that they'll blitz something rendering it useless. While still getting all the goodies and not needing to run back and fourth setting stuff up for them.

Also Xbox live would be nice but not nessecary. Theres always XBconnect So we could play together. But if I can get them on live without worrying about the xbox being banned (as we mostly play halo 2 at the moment) it would be nice.

I looked up krazie's installer and it's highly recommended. But if a mod chip works better for what I'm looking for then (it also seems cheaper as I only have the xbox memory card) I'll easly go that way.

thanks for all the help so far guys. My kids are going to freak out this X-mas. It's going to be GREAT :)

johno590
11-08-2005, 01:51 PM
I too have been looking to mod my xbox, but just don't really know where to start. I had a mod chip installed on my old PSX back in the day, but I don't really know if I wanna go the route of installing a mod chip... I have heard some bad things about the solderless, so I'm nervous about that as well.

I've done visual mods, such as the jewel, port, and eject mods, but that is it.

I did a search for Krazie's installer, and I found the thread but I didn't find anything else about it? Like what it involves or where to get the installer.

Damion
11-08-2005, 01:58 PM
I too have been looking to mod my xbox, but just don't really know where to start. I had a mod chip installed on my old PSX back in the day, but I don't really know if I wanna go the route of installing a mod chip... I have heard some bad things about the solderless, so I'm nervous about that as well.

I've done visual mods, such as the jewel, port, and eject mods, but that is it.

I did a search for Krazie's installer, and I found the thread but I didn't find anything else about it? Like what it involves or where to get the installer.

It really seems the way to go. (http://xbins.org/nfo.php?file=xboxnfo1313.nfo)

From reading that nfo it's pretty dummy proof. at least from what I've read so far.

Mr.Faxanadu
11-08-2005, 02:41 PM
Here's an idea - if you plan to get the system chipped amek sure you mark your components. Put a little dot on the inside of the DVD-Rom. I've never had this problem with the XboX but back in the day when I modded my PS1 the insided were swapped with old components!

Damion
11-08-2005, 04:56 PM
Here's an idea - if you plan to get the system chipped amek sure you mark your components. Put a little dot on the inside of the DVD-Rom. I've never had this problem with the XboX but back in the day when I modded my PS1 the insided were swapped with old components!

I had something similar happen to me when I went to get a PSX repaired years back. The Guy said he couldn't fix it and it was fried then I asked for it back and he handed me someone elses which was Way worse off then mine was. I'll take a system in to get fixed with marking it good inside and out.

njiska
11-08-2005, 05:29 PM
Well i still stand by my beleif that a mod chip is better, but to be fair i'm also a strong supporter of sticking LCD mods in there too. I like the hardeware approach because i've always felt safer with the chip. I know that i can just turn it off and the xbox will work just fine.

I think it'd more personal preference and skill then which is truely better.

Oh and Damion i'll get you all setup software wise. I've got a prebuilt disc of must have Xbox software i'll throw in with the BAEDs.

Damion
11-08-2005, 06:25 PM
Well i still stand by my beleif that a mod chip is better, but to be fair i'm also a strong supporter of sticking LCD mods in there too. I like the hardeware approach because i've always felt safer with the chip. I know that i can just turn it off and the xbox will work just fine.

I think it'd more personal preference and skill then which is truely better.

I'd have to agree with ya. because I lack any real sodering skills lol

Oh and Damion i'll get you all setup software wise. I've got a prebuilt disc of must have Xbox software i'll throw in with the BAEDs.

Awsome :D

allsport11
11-10-2005, 07:29 AM
I also suggset getting a modchip instead of soft modding. Just my preference. :) Once you get going with the emulators you will never want to stop. They are that good. ;)

TheJuggala
11-10-2005, 08:14 AM
I also suggest getting a modchip over softmodding.

I would suggest getting an Xenium Ice Solderless (Or S.P.Ice if you have a newer xbox). It literely takes about 1-3 minutes to install. Its what i have in my xbox right now, along with a 160GB HD. It has a ton of great features on the OS, that come in quite handy.

Anyway as far as xbox n64 emulators go, the best would have to be Surreal 64, which is basically just 3 in 1. Theres also a thread at Xbox Scene that tells which Roms work on the xbox and which ones don't. Most of the games i noticed usually run pretty slow. Older system emualtors work great though.

phantomfriar
11-10-2005, 09:29 AM
Damion,
there are a LOT of options and it can be overwhelming, reading all those tutorials on Xbox Scene, many of which can be conflicting in terms of their information (to say nothing of the message boards, where they're not the, say, most understanding group around, lol).

I had a Version "1.0" box that I had an Xecuter chip installed into (If you're buying a new Xbox, some people say it's ideal for "softmodding", but there are others who will warn you against that).

So, to do the sodering and other work, I ended up paying a guy on Xbox Scene that I shipped my Xbox to...he did a very nice job and had Evox (basically the "operating system") pre-installed. The ROMs and other software I downloaded myself (read Xbox Scene, it's all there) and then FTP'd into the system. Somehow, though, even the latter took a long time to figure everything out. If you try and do it all on your own ("mod" the Xbox, track down and download all the programs, FTP them, load in all the ROMs, change their pathnames if they're too long [a problem with some SNES ROMs etc]), count on a few days worth of work to get everything running.

Not trying to tell you not to do it -- in fact, after it's done, the emulators (save the N64 one) run great and you will have a virtual "Video Game History" machine at your disposal -- but if you could find someone who will do the work for you on Xbox Scene AND not charge an arm and a leg, you may find that route is more worth it, even if it's a few bucks more. (Check the classifieds on Xbox Scene, there may be people locally near you who will do it).

njiska
11-10-2005, 11:14 AM
Since everyone is PMing me about the BAED i submit to you the following options.

1. Everynoe and then they come up on alt.binaries.games.xbox You can find them there.
2. Isohunt, The Pirate Bay and Xbox-Sky Tracker all have torrents available for download.
3. If those options don't work then you can contact me through PM and we can work out a way of getting them to you.

Thanks for all the interest. I don't know who made these but they deserve all the credit in the world for doing a fabulous job of making sure it all works.

Jagasian
11-10-2005, 11:39 AM
Xbox emulation is great for generations 16-bit and older, including arcade and portables released during those generations. The PSX and N64 emulation is highly buggy.

Even the SNES emulation has issues, and yes it is 16-bit, which I claimed fell into the great category, but just know that it is the worst emulator, accuracy/compatibility wise, in the 16-bit and older category. It is still good enough for casual play of many games, and the games it has problems with are the ones that use special co-processor chips inside the original game's cart: Pilot Wings, Super Mario Kart, Star Fox, Yoshi's Island, etc. These run, but with additional glitches and general buginess. Note that since most of the SNES platformers, fighters, shooters, and RPGs do not use special co-processor chips, they run great under emulation.

Now for some links. I am a big emulation on Xbox fan, but just realize that it has limitations, inaccuracies, and incompatibilities compared to the real systems.

Great sight for everything Xbox modding related:
http://www.xbox-scene.com/

The best Xbox emulators:
http://xport.xbox-scene.com/

Watch XVID and DIVX movies on your Xbox:
http://www.xboxmediacenter.de/

The best link is that xbox-scene link. You will want to poke around the site's forums, especially these specific boards:

This board discusses topics related to the Krayzie Ndure Installer, which is the best way to softmod your Xbox:
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?s=6e04b6449285125815fb46d006c9228c&showforum=45

This board discusses topics related to the Xport emulators, which are emulators for various systems, all ported to the Xbox by the same guy. So they all have a similar look-n-feel and level of quality.
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?s=6e04b6449285125815fb46d006c9228c&showforum=96

The remaining emulators (N64, Arcade) are discussed here:
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?s=6e04b6449285125815fb46d006c9228c&showforum=17

I recommend installing XBMC as your dashboard, after doing the Krayzie Ndure Installer softmod. This makes your Xbox boot into what looks like a DVD player menu, which will let you select movies, music, or emulated games to play. It is really slick looking.

I have the most experience with the NES and SNES Xbox emulators, and I have compared both, side-by-side, with a real NES and SNES running the same games as the emulator. The NES emulator, FCE Ultra X, is closer to a real NES than the SNES emulator, xSNES9x, is to a real SNES. xSNES9x doesn't properly emulate one of my favorite games: Super Mario Kart, so maybe I am a bit biased there :) FCE Ultra X, on the other hand, is more compatible and accurate than Famiclones such as the NEX and NeoFami, but it still has incompatibilities, inaccuracies, bugs, off-hue colors, and off-tune sounds, and a fuzzier picture, when compared to a real NES. But hey, FCE Ultra X can play Castlevania III ;)

Jagasian
11-10-2005, 11:43 AM
I also suggset getting a modchip instead of soft modding. Just my preference. :) Once you get going with the emulators you will never want to stop. They are that good. ;)

Why? The latest soft-mod, the Krayzie Ndure Installer, mods your Xbox via software to be able to do everything that a mod-chipped Xbox can do. It is also cheaper than a Mod-chip, easier to install, and easier to uninstall. In fact, you can uninstall this soft-mod so cleanly that your Xbox is exactly like it was when you bought it. Mod-chipping permenantly physically alters the Xbox.

I was an early adopter of soft-modding, and yes the early methods were very hacky and had problems (clock looping, DVD tray locking)... but modern soft-mods are just as good as mod-chips, and if you already have or can borrow the tools needed to get the soft-mod onto your Xbox, then the soft-mod is free while the mod-chip costs $50. The modern soft-mod can even be toggled on and off, so that you can put your Xbox into and out of a modded state.

Damion
11-10-2005, 01:02 PM
Thanks guys for all the help/advice so far, keep it coming. seriously, it's very encouraging.

What I've decided so far is to go the softmod route. I've managed to get an action replay max for eight bucks (I had alot of besy buy bucks from mcdonalds) and I've got a non-platinum hits splinter cell on the way from ebay which also was eight bucks.

Course if the softmod route becomes to complicated I will go with a chip.

Now, so far on the softmodding route krazys installer is the way to go. but my next snag is upgrading the hard drive. From some of the tutorials I've read I have to have the xbox hooked up to a computer with the new drive as master on the comp. is there anyway around this? I've noticed the reason for it was the locking code on the Xbox hard drive. I'm just hoping theres a way to get the code after doing the mod so that I can just build the drive myself. without needing to do all that.

Also I've been reading about using FTP and the only mention I've seen so far of one was Bert and Ernie. I've never heard of an FTP program like that before. course I haven't had to use an FTP program in years.

So thats where I'm at so far. I'll probaly be getting the Xbox and hardrive sometime next week. Hopefully my copy of splinter cell will be here by that point.

Jagasian
11-10-2005, 01:15 PM
Burning DVDs of emulated games is allot easier than putting in a new hard drive, but of course with a hard drive, you don't have to bother with multiple DVDs.

Personally, what I do is this: I have 2 rooms in my house with Xbox systems each with a wifi adapter, and I also have a computer room with my desktop PC, cable modem, and wired/wireless router. In addition to that, I have one always on computer that I use as my file server. It has about 1TB of disk space, filled to the limit with movies, music, and games... and I have simply shared the directories that contain this stuff. So both Xboxs can stream whatever movies, music, and emulated games that they want to play. There is no physical hardware modification of either Xbox, AND I don't have to bother with tons of DVDRs. Even better, there is no duplication of content.

I guess I should point out that XMBC and every emulator except xSNES9x, can stream content from Windows (or Samba) file servers. It is the wave of the future. TV episodes, games, music, and movies streamed to set-top boxes via wifi. I already have it with my soft-modded Xbox systems.

Did I mention that I was going to buy more Xbox systems the second the price drops to $99 new?

Damion
11-10-2005, 05:15 PM
Burning DVDs of emulated games is allot easier than putting in a new hard drive, but of course with a hard drive, you don't have to bother with multiple DVDs.

Personally, what I do is this: I have 2 rooms in my house with Xbox systems each with a wifi adapter, and I also have a computer room with my desktop PC, cable modem, and wired/wireless router. In addition to that, I have one always on computer that I use as my file server. It has about 1TB of disk space, filled to the limit with movies, music, and games... and I have simply shared the directories that contain this stuff. So both Xboxs can stream whatever movies, music, and emulated games that they want to play. There is no physical hardware modification of either Xbox, AND I don't have to bother with tons of DVDRs. Even better, there is no duplication of content.

I guess I should point out that XMBC and every emulator except xSNES9x, can stream content from Windows (or Samba) file servers. It is the wave of the future. TV episodes, games, music, and movies streamed to set-top boxes via wifi. I already have it with my soft-modded Xbox systems.

Did I mention that I was going to buy more Xbox systems the second the price drops to $99 new?

ok.....thats a great idea. Espically considering I have everything on my comp to Begin with and I have a wireless cable gateway. So then all I would need is wireless bridge. does it have to be a decated server or can I just run off winxp?

njiska
11-10-2005, 05:17 PM

ok.....thats a great idea. Espically considering I have everything on my comp to Begin with and I have a wireless cable gateway. So then all I would need is wireless bridge. does it have to be a decated server or can I just run off winxp?

It's Samba, just basic windows filesharing. Word of advice tho wireless bridges are expensive. It might be a better idea to just run some ethernet through the walls between your comp and the room with the xbox and just make an outlet in the wall.that way you can plug it in and have a solid collection instead of buying a bridge that'll set you back over $100.

Damion
11-10-2005, 05:29 PM
ok from what I'm reading off sambas main site (http://us3.samba.org/samba/) it's meant for a non windows system to commucate with windows for file/print sharing.

Sounds cool so far. would this be...like say...harder then setting up a VNC program? the payoff would be awsome so no worrys about hitting it with all I've got I just want to be sure at what I'm looking at.

Also Would the bridge allow for WEP? could I set that in the xbox?

njiska
11-10-2005, 05:31 PM
ok from what I'm reading off sambas main site (http://us3.samba.org/samba/) it's meant for a non windows system to commucate with windows for file/print sharing.

Sounds cool so far. would this be...like say...harder then setting up a VNC program? the payoff would be awsome so no worrys about hitting it with all I've got I just want to be sure at what I'm looking at.

Dear god no it's easy. Right click and share the dir. then you just have to point the program to it. not hard at all.

Damion
11-10-2005, 05:33 PM

Dear god no it's easy. Right click and share the dir. then you just have to point the program to it. not hard at all.

oh thank god LOL

I banged my head for two days setting that up for a work comp to my home. course I had never done it before so that may have very well been the reason.

heyricochet
11-10-2005, 06:03 PM
Anyone ever tried the dos emulator? I want to try to get my old apogee games up and running.

njiska
11-10-2005, 06:18 PM
Anyone ever tried the dos emulator? I want to try to get my old apogee games up and running.

I've toyed around with Boch but i've never really tried to run much with it. However Commander Keen should work just fine :P.

-hellvin-
11-10-2005, 07:23 PM
Modded xboxes are pretty fun. Although, mine apparently died from it. I don't know if modding them puts them in their grave any faster, but mine just wigged out a few months ago and never recovered. If you do mod a system however, I'd recommend using the excellent Evo X dashboard and KawaX for all your Neogeo emu. Personally, I think n64 emulation if not even worth the time of day, but I haven't messed with it since the day I modded my system, heh. I believe the HDD limit is capped around ~130 gigs because of some technicality.

As for a good ftp program, use flashfxp. Can't be beat for ftping!

Jagasian
11-10-2005, 07:25 PM

I haven't used DosBox on the Xbox, as it seems awkward to try to play DOS games, which require a keyboard and or mouse, on a console gaming system. But then again, many Xbox users have a keyboard / mouse hooked up to their Xbox.

I have used DosBox under both Linux and Windows, and I can say that it is simply wonderful! However, as is the case with emulation, the newer the games that you are emulating, the more processing power you will need to run the emulator at full speed.

Check this link for DosBox's compatibility list:
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/comp_list.php?letter=a

njiska
11-10-2005, 07:33 PM
I believe the HDD limit is capped around ~130 gigs because of some technicality.

As for a good ftp program, use flashfxp. Can't be beat for ftping!

Actually the old limit was 137GB i beleive, however the scene overcame that limit over a year ago and now there is no limit.

As for FlashFXP, well hell yeah it's the best of the best when it comes to connecting to you're Ybox (those in the scene will catch the reference.

NE146
11-10-2005, 10:10 PM
I have no idea what a Ybox is.. and I've been on the "scene" since the dark ages where we had almost zero instructions and emulators had black nondescript screens with white text as their front end :hmm: :-P

Damion
11-11-2005, 09:45 PM
ok so I couldn't wait to get started. I figured what the heck. I'm buying a new one here in another week or so. why not get started on one of the ones I have and see what happens.

So I went ahead and used Krazys Mechassult save. first road block I hit was it wouldn't load the save. so for a few seconds I was concerned. then I decided to erase everything mechassult off the drive and just use Krazys save fresh.

That worked :)

So I proceded down the path of installing it. I must say this is really idiot proof. It backed up everything (it won't let you go further without doing so) then after it installed. It asked for me to remove the disk. I rebooted and everything is ready to go.

Then I tried to get to live, It wouldn't go. when I'd go back to the "M$ Dash" live could not connect. My first thought was "Dammit I screwed up somewhere" then I went to Krazies readme. yep, I have to reload the hacked save to turn off the soft mod.

My First thought was why the hell would he do that. then I relized Krazie Keeped my dumbass from getting my Xbox banned. As the LED was still orange. which meant the softmod was still in effect. which of course would have been noticed by Xbox live right away. Instant bannage.

So Krazie rocks.

So now i just need to figure out how to either FTP to my Box (which I belive is done in the settings screen in evos menu) or how to build an Xbox Iso (or Xiso) so that I can transfer the files over. I checked Sambas site and as I have no real idea what I was looking for other then an installer and I was running late for work. I didn't really have a chance give it a go.

BTW

What is the cleanest/most recommened dash? the two that comes with the installer are ok. but if there is something better looking. I want it.

Jagasian
11-11-2005, 10:10 PM
What is the cleanest/most recommened dash? the two that comes with the installer are ok. but if there is something better looking. I want it.

Hands down, you should use XBox Media Center (XBMC) for your default dash, that is the dash that your Xbox boots into when you power it on with no game/DVD in the drive. Other dashes look like they were designed for teenagers or something, while XBMC looks slick, polished, and professional. XBMC also has other obvious benefits, as your game system is now an all-in-one media center: music, movies, and classic games all from one slick remote controllable menu.

BTW, you just need to get your IP address and FTP settings right in the dashboard installed by the Krayzie Ndure Installer. Once you get that right, you can FTP into the Xbox. Be careful when you replace the Krayzie dash with XBMC. I suggest copying XBMC into its own directory alongside the Krazie dash's directory, and then do a renaming of the directories, but only after all files have been copied to the Xbox. That way the switch is one operation. Only one chance of failure as opposed to hundreds of chances if you delete the Krayzie dash and then copy XBMC over.

Damion
11-11-2005, 10:14 PM

Hands down, you should use XBox Media Center (XBMC) for your default dash, that is the dash that your Xbox boots into when you power it on with no game/DVD in the drive. Other dashes look like they were designed for teenagers or something, while XBMC looks slick, polished, and professional. XBMC also has other obvious benefits, as your game system is now an all-in-one media center: music, movies, and classic games all from one slick remote controllable menu.

BTW, you just need to get your IP address and FTP settings right in the dashboard installed by the Krayzie Ndure Installer. Once you get that right, you can FTP into the Xbox. Be careful when you replace the Krayzie dash with XBMC. I suggest copying XBMC into its own directory alongside the Krazie dash's directory, and then do a renaming of the directories, but only after all files have been copied to the Xbox. That way the switch is one operation. Only one chance of failure as opposed to hundreds of chances if you delete the Krayzie dash and then copy XBMC over.

Thanks Jagasian :)

I know thats the seconded time you had to tell me. so thanks again.

That sounds kinda scary. in the indure installer I can switch between two diffrent dashs. would it be possiable to just put XBMC Dash in the same Directory? or was that what you were talking about. if I remove the save won't I lose any chance of turning the soft mod off?

Ok I'm reading my own post and going "he just said that" so ignore what dosen't make sense LOL

Damion
11-12-2005, 12:58 AM
Ok just got FTP working. Didn't relize I needed to reload the game save. Found the name and pass very cool.

Damion
11-15-2005, 06:31 PM
Now for an update :)

So, I've played with all the options obtained some emus played with things abit and I have to say that hands down Krazys Ndure installer is the way to go. The only issue I can see is building a new hard drive for a soft modded Xbox. somewhat complacated. but nothing beyond my ability. It just seems that it would be easier with a mod chip.

The plus's I've seen so far with Krazys Ndure installer

I can run anything. There are seperate sections for what I want and need to do. such as

Apps, which I put XBMC in and runs great

Emus, (MameoX Autoupdates :D)

Games, you can B.U. your collection to this folder and play them. you just need to know the apps.

I must say I have Learned LOTS so far I may even make a Step by Step guide for dummies (like myself) i've noticed alot of tutorials do alot of Overexplaining things. making it rather scary (which can be a good thing) for people who want to mod and go.

Now I'm at the point where I want to try running Samba and get things streaming. so any pointers on that would be great.

Thanks for all the help so far guys. I'm going to post up some pics of my kiddos on X-mas when they open it so you guys can see there smiling faces. I also plan on keeping this thread going till then so expect me to jump in once in awhile to give an update.

Damion
11-15-2005, 06:35 PM
*Double POST*

njiska
11-15-2005, 07:04 PM
Ok for those expecting disc's from me i have everything almost ready and i'll most likely be sending them out on Monday. Maybe Fri.

So please everyone who's PMed me from this thread about the discs get me you're addy's.

Thanks.

And Rob your's take precidence so i'll be sending them out first.

Jagasian
11-15-2005, 07:16 PM
Now I'm at the point where I want to try running Samba and get things streaming. so any pointers on that would be great.

Are you familiar with Linux? If not, then don't use Samba, which is an open source implementation of Windows file sharing that runs on Linux, BSD, etc. You can simply use Windows. Share a directory that has movies, music, and ROMs in it. Then you have to configure the apps that wish to use that stuff, by giving them the "//myserver/myshare/mydir" path to your shared files. Keep things organized, with music, movies, and games in their own subdirectories under the shared folder.

Note that if you use wifi, there will be more delay in streaming. It doesn't matter much for classic games, but for movies, it means there will be a few seconds of delay before the movie starts playing because it has to be buffered.

Damion
11-15-2005, 08:09 PM
Ok for those expecting disc's from me i have everything almost ready and i'll most likely be sending them out on Monday. Maybe Fri.

So please everyone who's PMed me from this thread about the discs get me you're addy's.

Thanks.

And Rob your's take precidence so i'll be sending them out first.

I can't wait to see what those disc's have on them. It's awsome seeing first hand what the box can do modded.

Are you familiar with Linux? If not, then don't use Samba, which is an open source implementation of Windows file sharing that runs on Linux, BSD, etc. You can simply use Windows. Share a directory that has movies, music, and ROMs in it. Then you have to configure the apps that wish to use that stuff, by giving them the "//myserver/myshare/mydir" path to your shared files. Keep things organized, with music, movies, and games in their own subdirectories under the shared folder.

Note that if you use wifi, there will be more delay in streaming. It doesn't matter much for classic games, but for movies, it means there will be a few seconds of delay before the movie starts playing because it has to be buffered.

Really it's that simple? I'll have to see what I can do with it then and at the moment it's on a Lan so no issue with lag at the moment. thanks I'm going to give that a shot as soon as I get home.

Damion
11-17-2005, 08:46 PM
Ok, So I've got everything I want shared at the moment (on the home network) and XBMC is doing great at locating the shared files. but whenever I run the emus and try to run (the only option as far as I can see) SMB it dosen't locate anything. not even the shared folders.

now is this because I'm running the emus through evoX's dash? or are the emus looking for something that my PC isn't providing?

This is pretty much the last hurdle for me. If I can get the Xbox on a shared network then I am set.

Jagasian
11-18-2005, 08:35 AM
Ok, So I've got everything I want shared at the moment (on the home network) and XBMC is doing great at locating the shared files. but whenever I run the emus and try to run (the only option as far as I can see) SMB it dosen't locate anything. not even the shared folders.

now is this because I'm running the emus through evoX's dash? or are the emus looking for something that my PC isn't providing?

This is pretty much the last hurdle for me. If I can get the Xbox on a shared network then I am set.

Why are you running the emulators through EvoX? You should clean up your Xbox so that it directly boots into XBMC. Then under programs, you should create a list of shortcuts to launch each of your emulators. The drive scanning might be easier to setup at first, but it looks allot cleaner when you make custom shortcuts. Then you will have to configure each emulator to know where to look, exactly, for the ROMs. So you will have to edit their configuration file to include the shared rom directory's path. You should keep everything organized, so that each category can be hardcoded into XBMC and each emulator. So you should have directories that look like:

//myshare/mysharedfolder/movies/
//myshare/mysharedfolder/music/
//myshare/mysharedfolder/games/
//myshare/mysharedfolder/games/nes
//myshare/mysharedfolder/games/gameboy
//myshare/mysharedfolder/games/arcade

In XBMC you hard link movies to the movies directory, music to the music directory, and programs contains a bunch of shortcuts each hardcoded to link to an emulator on your Xbox. Then each emulator's ROM directory is hardcoded to link to one of the games subdirectories that matches the system it emulates.

Remember, it is a console and not a computer, so you want it to be clean, simple, organized, and polished. This means that you will have to manually tweak many settings, especially the shared directory settings.

I suggest getting a 400GB Linkstation, which is basically a hard drive that connects directly to your network and is accessible via FTP and Windows File Sharing (aka Samba). A Linkstation can also be used as a print server. Just plug your printer in and its shared. The benefit is that it is really small and easy to leave on 24 hours a day. It is easier than hardware modding your Xbox, and it allows both your PC and your Xbox to use the drive.

Damion
01-07-2006, 08:33 PM
*Updated first post with pics and some narration*

Now I have one last question.

in the xbmc XML Document how would I place a shortcut to my *Cough*backups*cough* in there so when I go to games under XBMC it would know where to look. also the backups have to be extracted right?

thankys for everything. if everyones ok with it I'd like to put up a running tutorial on everything I've done so far and will do. I noticed that alot of stuff isn't really covered for novices and I'm sure I could reduce some fears about softmodding with it.

Also I would like to note that upgradiing to a bigger harddrive on a softmod is down right crazygonuts and I heartly don't recommend it. unless someone knows something I don't about a good autoinstaller and how to do it.

omnedon
01-07-2006, 11:39 PM
Jagasian said:

Why? The latest soft-mod, the Krayzie Ndure Installer, mods your Xbox via software to be able to do everything that a mod-chipped Xbox can do. It is also cheaper than a Mod-chip, easier to install, and easier to uninstall. In fact, you can uninstall this soft-mod so cleanly that your Xbox is exactly like it was when you bought it. Mod-chipping permenantly physically alters the Xbox.

Because on board BIOS eeproms can fail on the Xbox. My local business sees at least one per week that has spontaneously failed (never been modded soft or otherwise)

A hardware solution, when installed properly, is a dual BIOS hardware solution for your Xbox. I always shoot for maximum reliability with OSG services, and IMO chips have softmods beat hands down.

The larger HDD is very useful for more than rom storage. The number one failure in Xboxes is DVDrom drive failure. Play your Xbox games from the HDD, and this problem is put off for years and years, as the DVDrom drive only sees occasional use, as opposed to constant, drive destroying use.

That said, soft mods have made strides. But not enough to beat out hard mods for reliability IMO.

Damion
01-08-2006, 12:01 AM
Jagasian said:

Because on board BIOS eeproms can fail on the Xbox. My local business sees at least one per week that has spontaneously failed (never been modded soft or otherwise)

A hardware solution, when installed properly, is a dual BIOS hardware solution for your Xbox. I always shoot for maximum reliability with OSG services, and IMO chips have softmods beat hands down.

The larger HDD is very useful for more than rom storage. The number one failure in Xboxes is DVDrom drive failure. Play your Xbox games from the HDD, and this problem is put off for years and years, as the DVDrom drive only sees occasional use, as opposed to constant, drive destroying use.

That said, soft mods have made strides. But not enough to beat out hard mods for reliability IMO.

I'd also like to add that with a mod chip upgrading your hard drive is a breeze. Unlike the soft mod method on Xboxscene where you have to do all sorts of stuff including resectoring the drive.

course that is only from what I've read so far. though I haven't seen a diffrent solution other then that one.