PDA

View Full Version : Is Microsoft's advertising department smoking crack?!

Xizer
11-10-2005, 08:53 PM
http://gametrailers.com/player.php?id=8328&pl=game&type=mov

Here's an example of the ads for the Xbox 360 they've been showing. A bunch of black people jumping rope, and for the last second or two at the end, an Xbox 360 logo pops up and it says "Jump In".

Now, what the hell is up with this commercial? How is anyone who's never heard of it going to know it's a fucking game system? And why are people jumping rope for 99% of the commercial instead of the system actually being shown?! Why not show the Xbox 360's interface, the controller, some games being played with flashy graphics, and, more importantly, at the end: A picture of the system. Its logo. The release date. And last, but not least, "video game entertainment system" or something there so people will actually know what the hell it is?!

Jesus Christ, I'm still in high school and I could come up with a better advertisement than these idiots who went to college and came up with these shit commercials.

njiska
11-10-2005, 08:57 PM
I wouldn't say they're smoking crack. I admit the ad doesn't make a lot of sense but it's just one of those bizare generic mass market ads. I uess the point is something like, no matter who you are it's for you or some bizaree metaphor like that. Honestly this kind of marketing never really made much sense to me either.

CartCollector
11-10-2005, 08:59 PM
You have to admit that was some pretty impressive acrobatics there. But yeah, the Japanese commercial is so much better.

Jibbajaba
11-10-2005, 09:07 PM
Doesn't the launch commercial for the PSP show a black guy walking down the street while morphing into different VG characters and then sitting down at the bus stop?

Not much better I would say.

Chris

TheRedEye
11-10-2005, 09:12 PM
I called and asked, they said no.

segagamer4life
11-10-2005, 09:17 PM
You have to admit that was some pretty impressive acrobatics there. But yeah, the Japanese commercial is so much better.

this was one lame commercial... wtf?!?!? to me it made me wanna get outside and play not go and buy an x360...

CartCollector
11-10-2005, 09:22 PM
I was referring to the Japanese launch commercial in the second sentence. Wait until the US one is over, then the Japanese one will start playing. EDIT: In the link provided above.

K3V
11-10-2005, 09:23 PM
It's supposed to get your attention and get people talking. It's working.

gepeto
11-10-2005, 09:33 PM

Here's an example of the ads for the Xbox 360 they've been showing. A bunch of black people jumping rope, and for the last second or two at the end, an Xbox 360 logo pops up and it says "Jump In".

Now, what the hell is up with this commercial? How is anyone who's never heard of it going to know it's a fucking game system? And why are people jumping rope for 99% of the commercial instead of the system actually being shown?! Why not show the Xbox 360's interface, the controller, some games being played with flashy graphics, and, more importantly, at the end: A picture of the system. Its logo. The release date. And last, but not least, "video game entertainment system" or something there so people will actually know what the hell it is?!

Jesus Christ, I'm still in high school and I could come up with a better advertisement than these idiots who went to college and came up with these shit commercials.

The advertisement did exactly what it was suppose to do. get people talking. Advertising agency like to play with peoples mind good and bad. Just look at the quiznos sponge monkeys they were dead mice advertising a food. Some people like me laughed my ass off others were repulsed but it got people talking. I saw that same commercial but what I took from it was all people interacting and having fun. The jump rope represented the xbox and its network. Being a gamer I look for the screenshot of the games and the machine.

I think Microsoft is going light on the advertisment because it know it is in for the long haul and they under estimated the what is involved when you have a worldwide launch and supply will be short.

One more thing there was more than black... people jumping rope in the commercial. One guy even looked like Ben Wallace.

sabre2922
11-10-2005, 09:54 PM
At least they have the actual NAME OF THE PRODUCT THEY ARE ADVERTISING shit many commercials dont even have that LOL

Gamereviewgod
11-10-2005, 10:10 PM
Doesn't the launch commercial for the PSP show a black guy walking down the street while morphing into different VG characters and then sitting down at the bus stop?

Not much better I would say.

Chris

But at least they gave you the idea it was a game console, and I like the song whatever it was. These ads don't do that.

The advertisement did exactly what it was suppose to do. get people talking.

No, it has US talking, and we already know what the product is. This doens't introduce a product to the masses in any way shape or form.

There's a second one too featuring a huge water balloon fight that follows the same path. Awful, all the way.

christianscott27
11-10-2005, 11:27 PM
wait.. did i just sit thru a commercial to view another commercial? do i really pay for this thing?

XxMe2NiKxX
11-10-2005, 11:29 PM
I'm a hardcore gamer and I don't even know the release date of the 360. Marketing isn't doing their job.

The Dreamcast, however... I have that date burned into my mind where it will remain for the rest of my life. THat was good advertising.

Biff_McFresh
11-10-2005, 11:40 PM
I'm a hardcore gamer and I don't even know the release date of the 360. Marketing isn't doing their job.

The Dreamcast, however... I have that date burned into my mind where it will remain for the rest of my life. THat was good advertising.

Of course Dreamcast having the easiest release date to remember (US Launch). 9/9/99, what a wonderful day, i remember it clearly...*starts to drool*

prismra
11-10-2005, 11:43 PM
It called advertising to their target audience: young, black males.

(I'm not trying to be racist here) but almost every black person I have spoken with that is into gaming has an X-Box.

XxMe2NiKxX
11-10-2005, 11:46 PM

Of course Dreamcast having the easiest release date to remember (US Launch). 9/9/99, what a wonderful day, i remember it clearly...*starts to drool*
I remember the first 18 hours of 9/9/99 very well, starting with, at 12:04 AM (I was fourth in line), getting my Dreamcast after waiting in and forming a very, very long line. The next 17 hours were spent playing Sonic Adventure. The rest are a haze. Much alcohol was consumed.

*TRICKSTAR*
11-11-2005, 12:22 AM

Its supposed to get your attention so it can throw the logo in your face . And it apparently worked lol.

randyt7801
11-11-2005, 12:54 AM
Exactly! It's creating a buzz that gets everyone talking about it.

Xizer
11-11-2005, 12:55 AM
I doubt this commercial is going to get any attention from anyone, other than a few elite gamers (us), who already know what the product is.

How is us talking about it on a forum on the Internet going to help sell the product? We already know about the product. The people who don't (i.e. mainstream newbies) won't know or care what this commercial is about, and it will seem like any other crappy commercial on TV to be ignored, so it is ultimately a waste of money.

This won't get anyone talking, besides a few Internet nerds mentioning Microsoft's shitty advertising department.

l_lamb
11-11-2005, 12:58 AM
It looks like a bad Nike ad until the Xbox360 logo pops up at the end. It certainly didn't endear me to their product, and I'm planning on getting one in the next 3-6 months. I know that they probably don't want to run too many system-specific ads due to the probable shortage of units, but they could be showing off the games!

Arkaign
11-11-2005, 02:34 AM
It's a dumb ad, but I'm pretty sure we'll see different ones really soon. They probably made this thing weeks or even months ago, and will have more specific ads as launch date arrives and passes.

Consider it 'filler' until the real blitz hits. Microsoft has some rather deep pockets ;)

Phosphor Dot Fossils
11-11-2005, 03:58 AM
No no, they're not smoking crack.

They're clearly taking it in suppository form.

poloplayr
11-11-2005, 05:16 AM
they're targeting the same cretins that listen to rap music? discuss amongst yourself.

Jumpman Jr.
11-11-2005, 05:28 AM
I liked that add... but it took me a while before I knew what was going on.
I guess they are just trying to catch people's attention and then say the word "Xbox 360"

I also think this was talked about in another thread somewhere :hmm:

Arkaign
11-11-2005, 05:29 AM
they're targeting the same cretins that listen to rap music? discuss amongst yourself.

I personally hate rap, but calling everyone who listens to it "cretins" is not a can worth opening.

As far as who they're targeting, either people that appreciate their time being wasted on an ad that says absolutely nothing useful about ANYthing, or people born with no brains.

Ah, this is all circular.

InsaneDavid
11-11-2005, 05:42 AM

Just a rework of the PS1 launch if I remember correctly, 9/9/95.

Diatribal Deity
11-11-2005, 06:42 AM
First of all Microsoft probably contracted their advertising campaign out to an external ad agency as they will readily admit to knowing nothing about advertising (that definately is not their bread and butter).

Second, I'm guessing this ad agency has a pretty good track record.

As has been said over and over, we here at DP (for the most part) are not the target market for this product.

So relax...enjoy the build up...I'm sure eventually they will have more mass market appealing ads.

jajaja
11-11-2005, 06:52 AM
Anyone rememeber the PS2 commersials on TV? Some crazy place and at the end they said "The third place" or something. Didnt have much to do with PS2 either.

But the most important thing in a commersial is to get people to remember it. So obviously you will remember this xbox360 commersial because it was diffrent.

shaggy
11-11-2005, 07:15 AM
I saw the ad with the people throwing water balloons and I'm like what's this all to find out it was an XBOX 360 ad. Man, I thought this was frickin' gay. I want to see the system, controller, some gameplay not this shit. I remember back when the NES came out they actually showed gameplay for the whole commericial. Todays commercials show hardly any gameplay. Commercials of today suck! :angry:

Tbowl
11-11-2005, 11:11 PM
I don't believe MS would just hire some idiot ad agency. I'm pretty sure their marketing department already knows the target markets that most likely will have preordered a 360 and through these weird, funky ads, target the other markets that have not preordered.

Who these target markets is beyond me.

Anthony1
11-11-2005, 11:37 PM
First off, what the F is up with the undertones of racisim in this thread? To say dissapointing, would be an understatement.

But on the actual topic, right now they are going with some subtle advertising. They don't want to get in your face with the actual product right now, because quite honestly, they don't have one to sell to people that don't already know about it. They only have like 1.5 million units for North America. They probably have 2 million preorders in North America, so they really don't have any extra to sell to the masses. They know that the hardcore folks are going to be the ones snapping them up.

Of course the other people that are going to be buying them are the profiteers. Expect 30 percent of 360 sales on Day 1 to be made by people who intend to sell it for profit! And count me as one of them :evil:

GameSlaveGaz
11-12-2005, 09:03 PM
The Japanese commercials were definitely cooler. I dunno which I liked better, the ones with all the Japanese words and the 360 logo floating in the air or the one where everyone's drawing the "circle of light" power button.

What was with the Teddy Bear Picnic song during the water balloon 360 commercial? It was amusing but confusing (hey that rhymes)