PDA

View Full Version : Play Midway Arcade at Target.

donkeykong1
11-13-2005, 05:29 AM
I went in to Target today and they had the Midway Arcade there so you can play it. I did not get a chance to play it because some kids wouldn'y get off the machine. From what I can see though, the graphics kind of looked like they were 8-bit. The kids were playing Rampage. The machine was very short too. It was about 5'4 The price tag on it was $449.00
I think I will go there tomorrow and try to get some playing time.

I know what I want for Christmas now. ;)

Arcade Antics
11-13-2005, 10:22 PM
It's utter crap. Nuff said. LOL

Captain J
11-13-2005, 10:25 PM
i just went to target.com to look at this thing and they have like 5 or 6 more! when did target start selling arcade games!? @_@

http://www.target.com/gp/browse.html/ref=in_br_display-ladders/602-7461305-7921450?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=15679701

VACRMH
11-13-2005, 11:00 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000B5GOJU.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS260_.jpg

@_@

EricRyan34
11-13-2005, 11:02 PM
Those things ROCK! to much $ though :(

ClubNinja
11-14-2005, 12:05 PM
I know what I want for Christmas now. ;)

Hopefully not one of these things.

segagamer4life
11-14-2005, 12:16 PM
lol I want em all..... DAMNN

MegaDrive20XX
11-14-2005, 12:30 PM

@_@

I like that one better and it's a $100 cheaper lol

Yet I think Target made a mistake...it's not a Taito, but shhh! Maybe they won't notice?

norkusa
11-14-2005, 12:45 PM

This looks pretty sweet but what's a better deal? A 4-slot MVS cab or this?

MegaDrive20XX
11-14-2005, 12:54 PM
4-slot MVS by far..heck I'll settle for an MV-2F even

davidbrit2
11-14-2005, 01:05 PM
Oh wow. I wonder if that thing's going to have real Neo Geo hardware. If so, I just might have to get one. Heh.

GrandAmChandler
11-14-2005, 01:38 PM
I played the one at Target with Defender on it, and it sucked. The buttons were cheaply made, too small, and the screen sucked. Maybe it was just that one. Cool idea, wish it were better quality. Can't say the same for the other cabs since no others were on display. But don't get the defender / joust one, it blows.

Vectorman0
11-14-2005, 02:03 PM
Oh wow. I wonder if that thing's going to have real Neo Geo hardware. If so, I just might have to get one. Heh.

I really don't think it's feasible. Real neo hardware would take carts and there is no way they are going to start the press's again to make this stuff. I'm guessing it will have to be a bare bones PC or something similar with a hard drive to hold the games, which go upwards of 700 MB(bits I think?).

davidbrit2
11-14-2005, 02:11 PM

I really don't think it's feasible. Real neo hardware would take carts and there is no way they are going to start the press's again to make this stuff. I'm guessing it will have to be a bare bones PC or something similar with a hard drive to hold the games, which go upwards of 700 MB(bits I think?).

Well, I don't mean necessarily just a stock MVS board shoved in a box, but at least hardware that's compatible with the original binaries or something. In any case, I'm intrigued.

Arcade Antics
11-14-2005, 03:11 PM
i just went to target.com to look at this thing and they have like 5 or 6 more! when did target start selling arcade games!?
Never. They aren't arcade games.

Pantechnicon
11-14-2005, 03:31 PM
All you naysayers should remember that not everybody who is a gamer neccessarily lives and breathes it to the extent we do. I've built a total of six full-size MAME cabs in the last four years, due in large part to the simple fact that I can. Melissa Sue Soccer Mom's husband may not be so inclined, if you follow my meaning.

I give Target major credit here for, if nothing else, taking a chance on what we've been fantasizing about for a long time: Whether or not there's a big enough gaming market to support the national distribution of high-end, profesionally built retro-themed items like this. I hope they sell a million of them and you should too.

ClubNinja
11-14-2005, 03:44 PM
I hope they sell a million of them and you should too.

I'm not sure why I should too. I'm not terribly interested in retro remakes or similarly themed items. I'm interested in the originals that will exist whether these sell or not. Sure, it's a cute concept, but it's not at all exciting to me. They do about as much for me as MAME cabs do - which is nothing. MAME is a great tool, but I've been luke-warm at best to the idea of MAME cabs for years. The only positive out of this (for me, anyway) is that maybe the prices of originals will go down now that the casual folk have the Target special to bring home instead.

To each their own, but for me, I don't care one way or the other about the success of these units. Sorry.

Captain Wrong
11-14-2005, 04:10 PM
I hope they sell a million of them and you should too.

The flip side is, if these are done halfassed, you're going to turn a lot more people off classic gaming than you'll turn them on. How many people are going to play Defender on something like this and have their theory that these old games suck and never try them out again.

Pantechnicon
11-14-2005, 04:12 PM
I'm not sure why I should too. I'm not terribly interested in retro remakes or similarly themed items. I'm interested in the originals that will exist whether these sell or not. Sure, it's a cute concept, but it's not at all exciting to me. They do about as much for me as MAME cabs do - which is nothing. MAME is a great tool, but I've been luke-warm at best to the idea of MAME cabs for years. The only positive out of this (for me, anyway) is that maybe the prices of originals will go down now that the casual folk have the Target special to bring home instead.

To each their own, but for me, I don't care one way or the other about the success of these units. Sorry.

All I'm saying is that in your case as well as many others here, trying to get someone like yourself to buy one of these multi-game cabs is preaching to the choir. Your knowledge and abilities concerning cab repair and restoration is legendary. Your disdain for MAME cabs is a valid and respectable viewpoint. You shouldn't buy one because you don't need one. But yours is also a highly-specialized mindset, and Target is trying to appeal to a mainstream customer base. A popular acceptance of these machines will have beneficial results for the hobby as whole, if by doing nothing else than inspiring a few more youngsters to become the next ClubNinjas of their time.

ClubNinja
11-14-2005, 04:29 PM
if by doing nothing else than inspiring a few more youngsters to become the next ClubNinjas of their time.

That is a glorious image indeed. In fact, the next ClubNinja is already in training and spitting up mushed carrots on MAME as we speak.

chrisbid
11-14-2005, 04:30 PM
look at the atari flashback for example

a lot of people in our circles thought the idea and concept were great, but the execution sucked. enter the flashback 2, and things are looking much much better. it is still not perfect, but without actual out-of-date hardware that cannot be economically feasible.

this arcade cab is a good first step, i wont be buying one, but if the company that produces them (or another company that follows the progress of this unit) finds way to improve this without adding much cost, i will be willing to buy

it acutally surprises me that more IP holders havent embraced MAME, and licensed it to produce more of these types of devices.

Sanriostar
11-14-2005, 11:25 PM
Are these things in the Electronics section, or toys? I looked for it at my closest Target, but it ain't there....... :/

Arcade Antics
11-15-2005, 12:07 AM
Target is trying to appeal to a mainstream customer base. A popular acceptance of these machines will have beneficial results for the hobby as whole, if by doing nothing else than inspiring a few more youngsters to become the next ClubNinjas of their time.
But here's the thing: the execution of these things sucks. Tack on the fact that they're "flooding" the market by putting out several different versions all at once (understandably trying to capitalize on the holiday traffic), all of which are half assed / cheaply built / poorly simulated nonsense. With a price tag of $500.

That's killing the goose that laid the golden egg. Crappy first impression+big price tag=end of story. The Flashback sucks, but it was only $25 brand new. The new Flashback isn't much better, and it's already down to $23 at Target. I agree with the poster who said that they'll turn off more potential customers than they'll turn on by virtue of lofting poor Defender simulations (to use one example) on an audience who is expecting more bang for the buck. And rightfully so.

You don't have to be much of a foosball or air hockey player to recognize those crappy tables you see at all the sporting goods stores this time of year. They're laughably bad. These new "arcade" games are the same thing. And I wouldn't touch one of those with a ten foot pole either. LOL

InsaneDavid
11-15-2005, 01:29 AM
World of Games, PLEASE truncate your links, you throw the thread off balance and make it hard to read.

The "Arcade Legends" large cocktail has been at Costco for a couple years now, I'm fairly sure it runs a derivitive of the Ultracade FE built upon MAME (using StarRoms). The sticks aren't all that great but the Trakballs were solid.

Now the "Dream Authentics" cabs, from the pictures, look to use real arcade parts and are based upon some of the more popular "modern" MAME cabinet designs. Those probably have a PC inside, again, running a derivitive of MAME with StarRoms.

I don't think the issue here is "I can't build a MAME cab so I'll get THIS" the issue is that if people are going to put up $500 - $4000 for a preassembled "multicade" they should be getting QUALITY. (as with everything) I'm sure most people that notice the poor quality of the lower cost items will look at $500 for that, then look at $500 worth of gaming elsewhere in the electronics department and spend their money there instead.

Budgeting it out my MAME cocktail is going to cost me about $300 (said this in an earlier thread about this), for about $600 you can buy a glue-together cocktail kit and have an AUTHENTIC reproduction cocktail - an option for someone that can't do the woodwoorking.

Garry Silljo
11-15-2005, 02:56 PM
I just tried this myself. I can't speak for the other cabinets but the Midway one is total shit. The graphics were not arcade quality and the buttons were very stiff. I tried Tapper and Rampage and thought it was a very unfulfilling experience. Just buy the the console Midway arcade treasures for $20 or less and have more fun.

evil_genius
11-15-2005, 03:09 PM

@_@

omg I think it just moved a little

sharp
11-15-2005, 04:16 PM
I think the idea would be usefull to make mame-cabinets for sale. Problem with these is the games are limited and from what heard here the quality is poor. I think it could sell well if the made it better quality and with a hd and cd-rom in the back so you can install extra games which could be sold separatly or in multi-packs. I think if the industry would do that it could be a success.

SegaAges
11-15-2005, 04:49 PM
Wait, so you guys are telling me that this:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000BUDFVA.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS260_.jpg

is total crap?

This is selling got 6k.

I have seen dedicated Tekken 3 Cabs like this go for more. I think this price is about what I would personally pay for a cab of this nature even if it was NOT emulated.

ClubNinja
11-15-2005, 04:55 PM
Total crap.

sharp
11-15-2005, 11:11 PM
Total crap.

No surprise that someone who write his name in gay-pink thinks it crap.

InsaneDavid
11-16-2005, 12:57 AM
Wait, so you guys are telling me that this:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000BUDFVA.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS260_.jpg

is total crap?

This is selling got 6k.

I have seen dedicated Tekken 3 Cabs like this go for more. I think this price is about what I would personally pay for a cab of this nature even if it was NOT emulated.

Ehem, you should read the thread, my post in particular...

The "Arcade Legends" large cocktail has been at Costco for a couple years now, I'm fairly sure it runs a derivitive of the Ultracade FE built upon MAME (using StarRoms). The sticks aren't all that great but the Trakballs were solid.

Now the "Dream Authentics" cabs, from the pictures, look to use real arcade parts and are based upon some of the more popular "modern" MAME cabinet designs. Those probably have a PC inside, again, running a derivitive of MAME with StarRoms.

I don't think the issue here is "I can't build a MAME cab so I'll get THIS" the issue is that if people are going to put up $500 - $4000 for a preassembled "multicade" they should be getting QUALITY. (as with everything) I'm sure most people that notice the poor quality of the lower cost items will look at $500 for that, then look at $500 worth of gaming elsewhere in the electronics department and spend their money there instead.

The middle paragraph is most important.

Also I don't see how ClubNinja can make a comment about it as it isn't instore yet and there are no details about the cab itself at the present time.

Let's be honest, the two lower priced cabinets are really just REALLY BIG Jakks TV Games controllers. If you have any Tilt arcades in your area, all their games go up for sale around this time of year, and this year it seems like most branches really want to move their product.

Example: Two years ago Sega Super GT (two seat most standard version) was $18,000 PER SEAT. Last year it was $15,000 PER SEAT. This year it's $8,000 for BOTH SEATS. They have a Tekken 5 for $1,400 and a Tekken Tag for $350. Cheaper arcade games can be found but they require CONSTANT MAINTENANCE - which is why a MAME cabinet (even a small cocktail like the one I'm cutting my MAME cab teeth with) is a better alternative unless you know your way around a genuine arcade cabinet. (so glad I don't do that anymore) LOL

Tron 2.0
11-16-2005, 01:30 AM

@_@
Blah can some body say roms :P

donkeykong1
11-16-2005, 01:31 AM
Are these things in the Electronics section, or toys? I looked for it at my closest Target, but it ain't there....... :/

It's in the electronics section, and not all targets have them on display.

ClubNinja
11-16-2005, 10:38 AM
Total crap.

No surprise that someone who writes in broken English would toss a homophobic stereotype into a perfectly innocent discussion. FYI, dude, it's "Light Red", not "Gay-Pink". Furthermore, there is no option for "Straight-Pink", so I don't think it's fair to pigeon-hole the color pink in this situation.

And:

Also I don't see how ClubNinja can make a comment about it as it isn't instore yet and there are no details about the cab itself at the present time.

Because I think it's crap and have the right to opinion? I don't care if these cabs wash my car, do my taxes, pay the mortgage, and/or tickle my prostate - I think they're crap. So what?

Kids. Take this stuff more lightly.

Garry Silljo
11-16-2005, 11:35 AM
I disagree with you there ClubNinja. If they pay the mortgage I will definately purchase one. I do believe however this feature was omitted, so I'm not interested.

Leo_A
11-16-2005, 12:34 PM
Your opinion is pretty useless if that they're not even in stores yet to try.

Unless you've tried it your opinion has about as much merit as his does about the color pink you use for a username.

Sanriostar
11-16-2005, 12:41 PM
I played it last night, and these have got to be the most Ghetto-assed things I've possibly ever played in my life! :(

It's like an arcade machine made out of *paperboard* with a dinky 13" monitor playing watered-down ports. I killed Sinistar twice on a 3 ship game! That's not supposed to happen! NO VOICE IN WIZARD OF WOR!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry: :angry: The only good thing I got from it was having some kids watch me play Robotron and hearing some compliments from them.

Avoid this at all costs!!!

ClubNinja
11-16-2005, 02:22 PM

Another well-written statement. Look - I was not trying to be either serious or useful. Forget I said anything.

Oh, and during lunch, I visited the local Target to try one of these things. Seriously - I spent about 20 minutes on the task. Very educational and provided lots of insight on the Target arcade games.

Total crap.

chadtower
11-16-2005, 04:05 PM
I took a look at the specs. I will check one out on my way home as there is a Target 5 mins from my house.

Based on what I see, the way Target manufactures its furniture, and what I have been told by a close friend who has played one...

...if they put this thing in the bathroom, I would put a quarter in the urinal and piss in the cabinet.

In fact, if they put it in the electronics section, I may still put a quarter in the urinal and piss in the cabinet.

The thing is about as comparable to a quality cabinet as a great cheese steak is to a 9 inch turd on a bulky roll.

Captain J
11-16-2005, 05:35 PM
...if they put this thing in the bathroom, I would put a quarter in the urinal and piss in the cabinet.

ROFL

GrandAmChandler
11-16-2005, 06:08 PM

ROFL

He's not kidding. It's that bad. The quality is laughable, and offensive to retro gamers everywhere.

davidbrit2
11-16-2005, 08:24 PM
The local Target got one of these in, so I got to give it a few test runs. I wouldn't say it's total rubbish, but it's certainly not worth $500 by any stretch of the imagination. My primary complaint is that the picture quality on that TV is such crap. The image was too bright, causing the colors to be washed out pretty bad. If they had used a 17" TV with s-video, it probably would have looked a lot nicer. And the sticks and buttons just don't feel as sturdy as they ought to be.

Arkaign
11-16-2005, 10:10 PM
Man I can't believe no one commenting on teh Neo Geo thing didn't say anything about the ONE FREAKING CONTROLLER :(

What's the point of SNK fighters if you can't have 1v1s?

InsaneDavid
11-17-2005, 03:42 AM
Man I can't believe no one commenting on the Neo Geo thing didn't say anything about the ONE FREAKING CONTROLLER :(

What's the point of SNK fighters if you can't have 1v1s?

That cabinet (which is a rip off of the tabletop MAME cabinet that Lunacade sells - which is terribly overpriced there as well since it's about $15 worth of lumber - the base package is about $700 (http://www.lunacade.com/)) is a smaller unit designed for the single player, sometimes referred to as a "bartop" cabinet.

If people want home arcades without the home authentic arcade maintenance I suggest heading over to http://www.MAMEworld.net and picking up some knowledge. Do Google searches for MAME cabinets and see what others have built. Most MAME cab builders that have sites will gladly help and give advice. Yeah, not everyone can do it, but as most MAME builders will say on their sites "I had no woodworking experence" or "I didn't own a soldering iron" but with some time and determination you can have a custom cabinet for way less than that Target arcade crap. I've said it many times, when it's said and done my MAME cocktail is going to run me about $350 total and the bulk of that comes from buying an I-PAC convertor and a display.

InsaneDavid
11-17-2005, 04:01 AM
Oh, almost forgot.

For those of you who said that ALL the cabinets that Target is selling are total crap even though all you've played have been the "play Midway" or whatever junk cab, here's some information on the "Arcade Legends" standup...

http://www.hammacher.com/publish/10648.asp

It's all real arcade parts, arcade monitor, and even if it is using a solidstate board inside to play the games, all that stuff can be converted over to MAME for a few bucks. The coin door on those does not work but it CAN be wired to the credit leads on an I-PAC as long as it has the mechs inside. Most of the games listed fall under StarROMs. It's what we call a "home use MAME cabinet."

I'd wait for an apology but it'll never come. :roll:

ClubNinja
11-17-2005, 09:13 AM

Right. That's because the thing is still playing ROMs. The biggest selling point is that it could be converted to MAME with little effort. MAME is still ROMs and ROMs are still no fun. So, I still think it's total crap, just maybe in a decent cabinet. Convert that sucker to a real JAMMA cabinet, buy some boards, and THEN you'll be cooking.

Arcade Antics
11-17-2005, 09:34 AM
Why would you even want an apology in the first place?

People are discussing their opinions of various "arcade" games in the thread. Nobody hurled insults at you, and you didn't design any of these machines (and if you did, most of us would be waiting for an apology ;) ), so... why wait for an apology? @_@

Memo to Leo: they ARE in stores to try. We've tried them. They're crap. LOL

Lighten up, folks.

Arcade Antics
11-17-2005, 09:38 AM
It's surprising that you feel the need to insult someone here. If you can't post without insulting other forum members, please don't post at all.

swlovinist
11-17-2005, 09:46 AM
I specialize in collecting crappy video games, and I am not going to consider it. At first, I thought everyone was bagging on the arcade because it was not tall enough, THEN I PLAYED IT. Try thinking of the first Atari Flashback doing an emulator of midway games. The Graphics are not even close, let alone gameplay. Robotron plays well with the double joystick, but Tapper looks like pure horsecrap. I agree with others, Save your money and go buy Midway Arcade Treasures for any system, along with an X-Arcade Joystick. Hell, build a MAME Cab and do it some justice. The arcade cab is the cheapest piece of crap I have ever seen someone trying to sell. I cannot even believe what they were thinking, other than cashing in. If I was one of the original programmers of these games, I would be offended. Seriously, Stay away at all costs.

InsaneDavid
11-17-2005, 11:58 PM

Because my VirtualOn Twinstick ate my soul and I have nothing else to hope for. :bawling:

Arcade Antics
11-18-2005, 09:31 AM

Because my VirtualOn Twinstick ate my soul and I have nothing else to hope for. :bawling:
LOL I'll gladly trade you Milhouse's soul for that twinstick.

Captain Wrong
11-19-2005, 06:50 PM
Alright. I went to Target this afternoon specifically in search of this Midway cab. (Ended up finding Darkstalkers for a PSP I don't own for $7.50. Heh.)

Plain and simple...

Shit sandwich.

Really, whoever said this was like a Jakks plug and play stick was giving this waaaay too much credit. This is more like one of those funky NES clones with all the poorly coded games that look similar to games you know but aren't. These games aren't emulated, they're some really poorly done ports.

And talk about flimsy! Oh man. I think the "Pac Man" cabinet I made from an old refrigerator box when I was 8 was sturdier than this pressboard monstrosity.

Wow. Just depressing. Avoid avoid avoid!

Edit: just noticed the pic everyone linked to upthread now shows the correct Taito game rather than the Neo Geo one. Heh. I'd like to see one of eithe of those in action though after having hands on time with the Midway one, I fear the worst. And, as someone else noted, a NeoGeo with one controller is about as useful as tits on a nun.