PDA

View Full Version : Wanna be a paid games tester for EA?

Vroomfunkel
11-14-2005, 06:32 PM
Would have been my dream job about 10 years ago when 5.50 an hour seemed like good pay:

Description:
GAMES TESTERS FOR ELECTRONIC ARTS

Work can be fun..............especially when you are working for Electronic Arts, the worlds leading developer and publisher of interactive entertainment.

We have a number of contract opportunities within our Quality Assurance team, testing our latest games, including next generation Burnout, the genre defining shooter Black, and other secret projects.

We only have the most passionate people join our team & our quality bar is high.

If you play computer games, are over 18 and possess good educational qualifications, come and join us!

We are offering 3/6 month contracts

Remuneration 5.50 per hour

Please apply via jobs.ea.com or if easier, please e-mail your CV to: TO BE CONFIRMED THIS AFTERNOON

We are running a series of Assessment Centres at:

Electronic Arts
2000 Hillswood Drive
Chertsey
Surrey
KT16 0EU

Mr.FoodMonster
11-14-2005, 06:44 PM
From what I've heard, testing games is one of the worst things you can ever do, and the only reason anyone should do it is to get their foot in the door at a company. But, because its EA, I'd rather stick my foot elsewhere.

klausien
11-14-2005, 06:44 PM
NO

pacmanhat
11-14-2005, 06:46 PM
This is just for the UK then?

gamegirl79
11-14-2005, 06:48 PM
Yeah it looks like it's UK only.

I'm a little surprised at the negative reactions here...if I needed a job (and lived in the UK) I'd apply for it. The pay isn't the greatest, but it would sure beat flipping burgers or working retail until something better came along.

GarrettCRW
11-14-2005, 06:54 PM
And, just like when you join the New York Yankees, you get to keep the little bit of brain that they chop out of your skull in order to make you docile. :D

importaku
11-14-2005, 06:59 PM
Ooh what a great job. NOT

Day in & day out been paid to play EA games, id rather flip burgers to be honest.

Nothing would destroy your joy of playing games than having to play through the trash that EA churn out.

Cryomancer
11-14-2005, 07:02 PM
Why don't we organize this so everyone who gets the job is secretly working against them. Then, every game they get, report it back as crap, until they either can't release a game without it being terrible (more terrible than normal, that is), or start making good ones.

obsviouly no this won't work but it's fun to envision

importaku
11-14-2005, 07:06 PM
Hehe they would just sack the person & replace them if they kept saying the games were crap.

Which is exactly what would happen LOL ever wonder why they are only offering short term contracts hehehe

Kejoriv
11-14-2005, 08:36 PM
And, just like when you join the New York Yankees, you get to keep the little bit of brain that they chop out of your skull in order to make you docile. :D

Awesome :)

kainemaxwell
11-14-2005, 08:45 PM
Ooh what a great job. NOT

Day in & day out been paid to play EA games, id rather flip burgers to be honest.

Nothing would destroy your joy of playing games than having to play through the trash that EA churn out.
Eww, imagine playing Madden all day...
:(

klausien
11-14-2005, 08:45 PM
Didn't mean to be a dick with my earlier post. My distaste for EA spilled over into a good thread. :roll:

Anyone who is interested and in that area should grab the bull by the horns. Who knows? Maybe we will get better gameplay in the future from having DP'ers behind the scenes!

Daltone
11-14-2005, 08:50 PM
Electronic Arts
2000 Hillswood Drive
Chertsey
Surrey
KT16 0EU

Hey, I need a job, and God knows I'm anal enough to do this. If only it weren't in Surrey.

Xizer
11-14-2005, 09:07 PM
Game tester for EA? Worst job in the world? I think so.

Hell, I wouldn't play an EA game if I was PAID to do it (the Battlefield series being an exception, but hey, that wasn't developed by EA, just published)... EA developed titles suck.

Emuaust
11-14-2005, 09:08 PM
Game testing is a boring prick of a job at te best of times, why the hell would anyone want to test the majority of crap EA put out?????? @_@ @_@

Nah Ill be allright running my gameshop I think 8-)

Gapporin
11-14-2005, 09:13 PM
Man, 5.50 an hour for testing games? That's like $9.55/hour over here. I'd be all over that job.

Daltone
11-14-2005, 09:16 PM
Hell, I wouldn't play an EA game if I was PAID to do it (the Battlefield series being an exception, but hey, that wasn't developed by EA, just published)... EA developed titles suck.

Amazingly, you are paid to do it. I'm sure that as jobs go it isn't as bad as some. Even if does turn out to be hell, it's only 3/6 months and at the end of it all you can sit back in the happy knowladge of all the bugs you didn't report.

LAGO
11-14-2005, 09:42 PM
Honestly this doesn't sound like a bad job to me. Granted im in the US and theres no way I could apply for it, but it sure sounds better than a lot of ther jobs i've had.

jdc
11-14-2005, 10:29 PM
Been there, done that (4 years off and on), got the closet full of t-shirts. You don't want to beta test. You're paid to play buggy sections of video game code. It's one of those jobs that sounds "glamorous" from the outside looking in. I played for about 70 hours per week. I burned out. It's a wonder that I still enjoy videogames at all.LOL

Mayhem
11-15-2005, 05:34 AM
Huh... just down the road from me. Still, something to consider should HP dispense with my services and I get stir crazy at home.

(not that I would need the money at the point as I'd get a good layoff package)

If anything, you can try and make EA games just that little bit less shite then ;)

Mayhem
11-15-2005, 05:35 AM
Huh... just down the road from me. Still, something to consider should HP dispense with my services and I get stir crazy at home.

(not that I would need the money at the point as I'd get a good layoff package)

If anything, you can try and make EA games just that little bit less shite then ;)

Jorpho
11-15-2005, 08:09 AM
"You need to tighten up those graphics!"

Ed Oscuro
11-15-2005, 10:37 AM
Typical verbal comments from a playthrough tester working on a hot new football game:

11/21
8:25 - Big bug: this game is terrible. Was I playing a football sim just now? Looked like Pong...
8:35 - I personally indemnify EA and forswear any confidence that they will ever make a good game.
3:45 - Am I bug-testing the feedback system, or the game? I typed out all my comments and suddenly the system prompts me to enter my username and password, and then just puts up a quote of the last user.

11/22
4:45 - Odd, the announcer keeps repeating the same lines over and over. Where do I fill that in on the form..?

11/23
8:55 - Fell through the level after the ball carrier (the one with that victory dance where he spikes the ball into, erm - could that be toned down? I'm sure that bumps the game up at least one rating) and landed in the stands a minute later.
4:35 - Turns out I've been in the stands the whole time.

11/24
9:25 - The new collision system works great, but now I can't see the astroturf.
9:30 - Actually, the whole stadium is upside down now.

11/25
11:00 - Spent all morning messing around with the new live commentator updates. The audio is horrible.
1:15 - Turns out the guy who used Ghost to set up all the boxes had this pop CD in that installed custom drivers. Explains why everything sounds lousy.

11/26 (Looking forward to the weekend!)
9:45 - Audio is fixed, but now all I hear is "You talk about a quarterback that can light up a scoreboard!"
10:55 - The quarterback did that dance again, but this time on the field of scrimmage. Then the whole other team rushed him before the match started. Sadly, that didn't put him out of the game.

11/28
8:55 - More collision funs. Time to pay the piper.
4:30 - The game owns my soul.

11/29
3:35 - Hmm, the controller makes me itchy.
4:20 - Another issue found: big heads mode makes the stadium lights big, and the crowd all has big heads too but that looks awful as they're all clipping into each other.

11/30
Somebody said we'll be working on another game soon. I...cannot...allow this.

12/1
Wierd time to be working on a game, isn't it? Why was I working through Thanksgiving, and why are we putting out a game that won't appear until April, at best? Especially one that sells as strongly as this one? I think ARRGH THE PARASITE

12/2
My collision-inducing skills are the scourge of the programming department and the envy of the Q&A department. THEY DO NOT KNOW THE FULL EXTENT OF MY POWERS

12/
Itchy itchy Scott came ugly face so killed him.
TASTY.

kevin_psx
11-15-2005, 11:28 AM
Electronic Arts Chertsey Surrey

Any jobs like that in Maryland or Virginia???

Biff_McFresh
11-15-2005, 11:36 AM
"You need to tighten up those graphics!"

haha that commercial really is the lamest thing ever.

WanganRunner
11-15-2005, 11:37 AM
Gawd, I think I'd rather be a Nazi or something....

I mean c'mon....EA? Don't you sprout wings and horns the instant you sign the offer letter?

importaku
11-15-2005, 01:52 PM
Hehe maybe they can re-title the job from games tester to turd polisher.

I find it shocking that some of you would be tempted to go for it @_@ i gurantee it would destroy any love you had for videogames.

Can't they just get people in prision to beta test for EA. Hehe punish them twice LOL force them to play EA shovelware all day, evey day.

rbudrick
11-15-2005, 02:11 PM
Well, just remember, to quote some random EA exec, "It's a prvilege to work for EA, and if you don't like it, you can GET THE HELL OUT. You piece of crap." True story. :roll: :evil:

-Rob

jajaja
11-15-2005, 04:12 PM
EA mostly publish the games, not develope them. So blame the developers ;P
Anyway, how long can u test the games? It says 3 or 6 months contracts, but how many hours of total testing is possible?