PDA

View Full Version : Mario Kart DS (Talk about your races with friends on DP)?

Cmtz
11-14-2005, 09:01 PM
Anyone here get lucky and was able to get an early Mario Kart game?

It goes on sale on Tuesday.

Thetik
11-14-2005, 10:15 PM
i dont got it..but i want it! I dont have a DS though, not really sure if its worth the money, but when i saw the review for that game it made me jelous :roll: why cant PSP make any good games.. :(

suckerpunch5
11-14-2005, 10:35 PM
got it

dbiersdorf
11-14-2005, 10:54 PM
why cant PSP make any good games.. :(

Why would you need any good games? We have all those wonderful UMD titles to choose from!

JJNova
11-14-2005, 11:21 PM
It actually went on sale today. Release day was today. It can be legally purchased today. No street day is broken if purchased today.

I know not where your information comes from, but it is not correct.

If you asked an EB employee, and they told you tomorrow, that's because EB receives theirs through 1 Day Priority mail, and that's when they will be get the game. So stand outside of the building and watch for the mailman.

Walmart on the other hand won't have theirs until the 17th. So go harass one of their employees all day to check the back of the stockroom.

Oh, and no, I wont have mine until tomorrow, because EB has mine.

Six Switch
11-14-2005, 11:27 PM
i should be getting mine tomorrow,and going online with it.

vahn401
11-14-2005, 11:27 PM
It actually went on sale today. Release day was today. It can be legally purchased today. No street day is broken if purchased today.

I know not where your information comes from, but it is not correct.

If you asked an EB employee, and they told you tomorrow, that's because EB receives theirs through 1 Day Priority mail, and that's when they will be get the game. So stand outside of the building and watch for the mailman.

Walmart on the other hand won't have theirs until the 17th. So go harass one of their employees all day to check the back of the stockroom.

Oh, and no, I wont have mine until tomorrow, because EB has mine.

My local EB, Best Buy, Toys R' Us and Circuit City all said november 15

Jive3D
11-14-2005, 11:29 PM
I got it at the Nintendo World Store today. I hung out there for about 3 hours playing online with a buddy of mine - until they kicked us out b/c the store closed.

The Wifi stays ON though when the store is closed, so you could sit outside the store and be gaming all night!

I'm at home - playing it now. It's awesome.

My Nintendo Wifi 'friend code' is now in my sig if anyone wants to play against me!

Guyver03
11-14-2005, 11:40 PM
I've had it for a few days. EB managers recieved a free copy from Nintendo and mine just happened to show up last friday or so. Definately fun...should be a good time for all. :)

XxMe2NiKxX
11-15-2005, 12:10 AM
Can't sleep, Yoshi will eat me...
Can't sleep, Yoshi will eat me...

I'm getting it Tuesday.

Nesmaster
11-15-2005, 03:08 AM
Hope somewhere has it today, most places are saying the 16th or 17th!!! :(

Mayhem
11-15-2005, 05:31 AM
I'll be buying it as soon as I hit the US on the 19th :)

Jive3D
11-15-2005, 08:17 AM
I dont want to start up another topic for this but maybe we need to...

Let's try to get all of our NWC friend numbers on here so we can set up a Mario Kart DS - DP Tourny!

GrandAmChandler
11-15-2005, 08:47 AM
Wireless Router - Check
Mario kart DS Preorder - Check

Time Set aside to waste away life with red turtle shells and free internet play. - Check

My Gamestop said it would be in today after lunch. 8-)

JWKobayashi
11-15-2005, 09:42 AM
Got mine yesterday at Best Buy. Their ad showed that it would not be in until 11/16, but they had about 20 copies on the shelf on 11/14.

I played online w/ a friend of mine last night... ALL night. There are just so many play modes, and they all kick ass.

My only gripe is with the matching up online. It's kind of a pain in the ass to play with a friend, and since we only knew each other w/ the game, we couldn't play with more than 2 people.

Anyway, the game kicks ass. If you have a DS, buy this game.

Rogmeister
11-15-2005, 10:16 AM
JJNova wrote:

That's odd...I was at a Wal-Mart yesterday and saw the game in their DS display case... :D

gamegirl79
11-15-2005, 01:15 PM
I am picking this up tonight after work at Circuit City. My wireless router has been begging me to play this game! LOL

s1lence
11-15-2005, 02:41 PM
Picked mine up at walmart of all places today. Pretty good stuff so far.

Zach
11-15-2005, 03:34 PM
Got it at the fourth store I checked today.

Media Play? Nope.

CompUSA? Nope.

GameStop? Nope, and they suck.

EB Games? Booyah!

classicb
11-15-2005, 03:54 PM
I dont want to start up another topic for this but maybe we need to...

Let's try to get all of our NWC friend numbers on here so we can set up a Mario Kart DS - DP Tourny!

good idea. I was thinking the same thing. I already added you to my friends list. maybe I'll see you online.

I have WiFi everywhere I go

home: check
work: check
coffee shop: check
capital park (including most of downtown Sacramento): check
Bar: check (if I'm playing poorly late at night I might be doing a little drinking and driving at the bar.

great game can't wait to see you all online

edit:

just in case I change my sig I'll post it here in this thread

386606 518814

Beefy Hits
11-15-2005, 03:58 PM
Picked it up but won't be online much as I have to go to school or a coffeeshop.

Friend # is270642396310
Name is Greg

Edit: Doh! Wrong number earlier. Corrected.

snes_collector
11-15-2005, 04:12 PM
Wireless Rounters are not even availible where I live. You guys are lucky. And no, I didn't pick the game up, hopefully I'll get it for Christmas though.

goatdan
11-15-2005, 04:21 PM
There is already a friends list that I am maintaining here. (http://www.digitpress.com/forum/posting.php?mode=editpost&p=839472)

classicb and Beefy Hits, shall I add you?

PDorr3
11-15-2005, 04:22 PM
Wireless Rounters are not even availible where I live. You guys are lucky. And no, I didn't pick the game up, hopefully I'll get it for Christmas though.

you dont NEED a wireless router to play. Just get the wifi connector for $35, and just hope you have a pc and not a mac.

XxMe2NiKxX
11-15-2005, 04:40 PM
Mario Kart DS AM GET.

My friend ID is:

I AM LOOKING DESPRATELY FOR PEOPLE TO PLAY AGAINST. THE RANDOM CHALLENGER THINGEY DOESN'T FIND PEOPLE FOR ME.

classicb
11-15-2005, 04:50 PM
Mario Kart DS AM GET.

My friend ID is:

I AM LOOKING DESPRATELY FOR PEOPLE TO PLAY AGAINST. THE RANDOM CHALLENGER THINGEY DOESN'T FIND PEOPLE FOR ME.

I'll be on tonight around 7pm PST

make sure you post your ID in the thread goatdan has going too

Perkar
11-15-2005, 05:08 PM
i just snagged it. don't have a wireless router so i'm gonna have to pick up the USB dongle pretty soon.... gonna see if it'll work at a random hotspot later tonight too....

NE146
11-15-2005, 05:16 PM
Just got it today. I get home real late though...

Drexel923
11-15-2005, 07:42 PM
Got it this morning and played all day. The game is awesome. The amount of tracks is amazing, and I love the inclusion of the older tracks too. I mostly played single player, but I also played multi with my cousin (local...not wifi)...we played all of the modes, all of which had the full amount of bots, and the game played flawlessly.

I can't wait to try it online...I actually have a wireless router, but I don't feel like going throught the trouble of hooking it up securely...also, when my cable modem crashes (which seems to happen alot lately), I have to set up everything all over again :( I ordered the dongle thingy from Nintendo and just got an email saying it was shipped, so expect to see me online in a couple days :)

ubersaurus
11-15-2005, 07:46 PM
I got it after work, and immediately hopped online with it.

Totally easy experience, and the online play was smooth and totally awesome.

I've been going through the grand prix mode, naturally, and that's certainly been a blast too. But multiplayer is definitely the star of this show, like all mario karts.

Six Switch
11-15-2005, 08:17 PM
i am picking this up tomorrow and i am pretty happy,everyone seems to dig it so far.

GrandAmChandler
11-15-2005, 10:46 PM
I got this today, but between many things in "life" I must hold off from playing it for a couple days.

Expect to see this guy online and kicking K3V & Drexel923's butts by this weekend.

[/talking shit]

-Chris

classicb
11-15-2005, 11:08 PM
The only thing I wish it had at this point is multi player Grand Prix mode.

Still easy to call this the best Mario Kart to date.

Nesmaster
11-15-2005, 11:38 PM
Just picked it up and been registering some codes, but I cant find a single person under any mode... :(

edit: ya i know the site says problems... bah! :(

jdc
11-16-2005, 06:50 AM
I'm picking up the Mario Kart bundle when it arrives this week, hopefully today. With a little luck, the DS will be a special color. Goodbye PSP!

K3V
11-16-2005, 09:10 AM
I got this today, but between many things in "life" I must hold off from playing it for a couple days.

Expect to see this guy online and kicking K3V & Drexel923's butts by this weekend.

[/talking shit]

-Chris

Bring it, beeotch! Are you going to post your friend code or what? LOL

philosophyst
11-16-2005, 12:51 PM
I got mine yesterday and it's a blast. The dongle thing is coming from Nintendo so I have to wait for that before I can go Wi-Fi with it. Oh well, it will give me a chance to practice up. :)

Slipdeath
11-16-2005, 01:02 PM
Does anyone want to race, and lose?

PDorr3
11-16-2005, 01:07 PM
I am trying to hold off on buying the game until sun-mon, that way I have something fun to do while waiting online for the 360 for 5 hours. I think the time would go faster if the game was fresh and new to me :)

Chronodriftersx
11-16-2005, 01:30 PM
I'm picking up the Mario Kart bundle when it arrives this week, hopefully today. With a little luck, the DS will be a special color. Goodbye PSP!

Supposed to be Hotrod Red colored right?

Emuaust
11-16-2005, 01:58 PM
Yeah I picked this game up a day early in Aus and I have to say wow, I was up all night playing this baby.

It really makes you feel ripped off if you hav Double dash as that was really lacking on the kind of extras this game has.

11-16-2005, 02:08 PM
I had some problems with my setup, but it just took a couple of force manual tries to get connected. I haven't experienced any lag yet while in game.

njiska
11-16-2005, 05:08 PM
Just got it now and my DS wifi adapter will be arriving next week. Sweet.

NintendoMan
11-16-2005, 06:18 PM
Got it yesterday. I can only say this game is so amazing!!! I love the Wi-Fi too, no lag whatsoever!! I'll post my buddy code later too.

Famidrive-16
11-16-2005, 06:25 PM
Best Buy didn't have Mario Kart or the USB thingy. Is it out yet?

philosophyst
11-16-2005, 06:53 PM
Best Buy didn't have Mario Kart or the USB thingy. Is it out yet?

I got my "USB thingy" directly from the online Nintendo store. I have heard that is the only place you can currently get it. As for Mario Kart, yep, it's out! :D

Six Switch
11-16-2005, 09:28 PM
i got it and it is pretty awesome.only thing is i think my connection sucks.i can connect,but after looking for a game for more than five minutes i just turn it off.i'll have to try it again later.

Daniel Thomas
11-16-2005, 11:12 PM
Just picked up my copy tonight. The biggest problem was the weather - we've been hit with a sudden wind-chill smack from Old Man Winter, and we didn't even get hardly any snow! Getting anywhere outside requires you to triple-layer everything.

But Mario Kart DS is terrific. Clearly the best game on the DS and a superb game all around. I played a few online matches and was surprised by how smooth and consistent it was. I was expecting something similar to Dreamcast online (you know, 56K), but these matches are just as responsive as if everyone were together.

goatdan
11-16-2005, 11:12 PM
All right, my quick review of this so far is:

- This is the best Mario Kart ever. It fixes everything that was wrong with the N64 version and the few things I didn't so much like about MK:DD, finally throws in missions and really gets a LOT right.

- Online play is very cool, but I HATE how Nintendo didn't build in anything for people that were losing. My record is 0 - 3, and if it wasn't for disconnects it would be at least 2 - 4, but probably 3 - 3.

Overall, until I get some sort of league on here going where I know you all won't disconnect, I love the offline component but aren't so fond of the online one.

JJNova
11-16-2005, 11:43 PM
I'm tired of watching a guy fgall off the track to immediately reappear farther up ahead of me, instantly.

I hate watching someone else drive through a wall.

I hate when someone drives into the gravel (which slows you down immensely) then when I pass them they seem to warp and appear ahead of me on the track.

If it's lag, then that's a terrible thing on my behalf. But if the game is going that way, I will disconnect. There's no chance of my winning. It's like playing Dr. Mario on the kaillera network against someone in Australia, but you're playing on an AUstralian server. You have no chance to win.

I haven't heard about people hacking and/or cheating in Mario Kart DS yet, but it sure as hell seems like it at times.

Sorry, but if you were playing me and I disconnected, that was the reasoning behind it.

goatdan
11-16-2005, 11:47 PM
I haven't seen anything that you've described. Every multiplayer race I've been in, they have been very close and it seemed fair the entire time. Usually, as a good Mario Kart is, it is determined in the last few seconds. But out of those games that I've been winning, almost every time even when they look just like that, "You have been disconnected." Makes the online relatively worthless.

It *should* give you an automatic loss regardless of reason. I mean, the win-loss record shouldn't matter that much, but it is obvious that people are protecting it by any means possible, and that means ruining otherwise great games.

Ah well. I'm happy tooting around in Grand Prix for now ;)

By the way, if anyone reads this I'll update the Friend's list tomorrow. I've got so much to do right now, it's crazy!

classicb
11-16-2005, 11:59 PM
I haven't had any of those problems yet and I've played a lot of games so far online both random and against people here on DP. It's been great fun and like goatdan said it normaly comes down to the last turn.

I do wish the matching wasn't so random so you could find and pick people I mean even the friends list is random. I guess Nintendo decided to keep it simple like Mario Kart.

NE146
11-17-2005, 12:02 AM
Yeah I haven't had either of those problems. I guess I'll avoid the blind public races and stick with playing against DP members over in #vbender :)

classicb
11-17-2005, 12:05 AM
Yeah I haven't had either of those problems. I guess I'll avoid the blind public races and stick with playing against DP members over in #vbender :)

yeah those were some good games I like how you re created your avatar for you kart symbol

goatdan
11-17-2005, 12:26 AM
Yeah, I've ONLY played via the worldwide, and only a handful of times. Hopefully, people realize it doesn't really matter -- I mean, I'd rather be 1-100 then 1-0.

Ah well, so far so good. I keep trying friends, but no one is on when I am :( I think you're all just scared!

Chronodriftersx
11-17-2005, 12:31 AM

yeah those were some good games I like how you re created your avatar for you kart symbol

There is a custm paint thing but I forgot where I read about it or how its accessed ;)

classicb
11-17-2005, 12:33 AM

There is a custm paint thing but I forgot where I read about it or how its accessed ;)

go to Options / Edit / Emblem

Nesmaster
11-17-2005, 12:37 AM
At first I was a bit mad when I lost, but it really doesn't matter since every race comes down to the last half a lap, and who gets what item, ect.

I just wanna play some people from here :P

philosophyst
11-17-2005, 12:39 AM
I've seen where other players are just "bouncing" around the screen like spastic. I'm not sure if they have a special car unlocked that I don't or what the deal is. Has anyone else seen this?

philosophyst
11-17-2005, 12:40 AM
At first I was a bit mad when I lost, but it really doesn't matter since every race comes down to the last half a lap, and who gets what item, ect.

I'll play ya! :D

Chronodriftersx
11-17-2005, 12:42 AM
I've seen where other players are just "bouncing" around the screen like spastic. I'm not sure if they have a special car unlocked that I don't or what the deal is. Has anyone else seen this?

Sounds like someone who's mastering mt's and ssmt's

slip81
11-17-2005, 12:54 AM
Got mine today, great game so far.

I love the missions too, definately adds a little more depths to the game. Not that it really needed it, but now that it's there its nice to have something else to do to hone your skills and take a break from racing.

Anyone know if the missions unlock things?

Nesmaster
11-17-2005, 03:43 AM

I'll play ya! :D

That's the problem, when i'm playing i won't read the thread :P

we need to get a schedule up, and time when most of us are available ;)

Six Switch
11-17-2005, 08:08 AM
i only got to play online once,and of course the people had 17 wins so they rocked me.

and i guess nobody plays mario cart at 1 in the morning.i had my ds searching the whole time i was writting a psych paper last night and i didn't find one game.oh well

slip81
11-17-2005, 08:23 AM
Is it just me, or is that new ink weapon pretty useless?

Whenever I get sprayed I just look down and navigate via the map. So far I've been attacked with that thing about 7 or 8 times and have yet to loose speed/hit something.

Six Switch
11-17-2005, 09:31 AM
i have done that too,doesn't really bother me.

Drexel923
11-17-2005, 11:00 AM

Whenever I get sprayed I just look down and navigate via the map. So far I've been attacked with that thing about 7 or 8 times and have yet to loose speed/hit something.

Its more useful in single player. I've noticed that when I use it, the CPU oppenents in front of me slow down and usually crash into banana peels, shells, etc.

classicb
11-17-2005, 11:45 AM
Just in case some of you didn't know this when you are online a blue symbol will appear above your wifi signal strength when you have friends online. When I see it I normaly go look for a friends game and find one.

goatdan
11-17-2005, 12:28 PM
Just in case some of you didn't know this when you are online a blue symbol will appear above your wifi signal strength when you have friends online. When I see it I normaly go look for a friends game and find one.

Aha! I was wondering what that was all about. I was in other games, and that started flashing and I didn't know what to think. That means that I've literally *just missed* friends games!

classicb
11-17-2005, 12:47 PM

Aha! I was wondering what that was all about. I was in other games, and that started flashing and I didn't know what to think. That means that I've literally *just missed* friends games!

yeah its also good to know so you don't just sit there for 15 mins hoping to find a friend game when no ones online.

11-17-2005, 01:27 PM
So far I've had no real problems with warping and such. I have seen me hit a box while me and someone else are side by side and me not get the box but the other guy does. I guess he was just a tad in front of me. And also bumping other people doesn't have as big an effect as in GP mode.

NE146
11-17-2005, 01:31 PM
The best way to get to play friends is to have an active up to the second conversation where you both start searching at the same time. That's why the #vbender chatroom is a great place to get some friends games going. :)

goatdan
11-17-2005, 02:58 PM

Its more useful in single player. I've noticed that when I use it, the CPU oppenents in front of me slow down and usually crash into banana peels, shells, etc.

Personally, I like that Inker thing. While it doesn't do too much, and yes you can just look at the bottom screen, the bottom screen doesn't necessarily show you everything. I got inked in one of the multiplayer games I was playing, and I had been taking a turn really tight and it got me to pull out of it early and lose a little time realigning. It isn't as devastating as a red turtle shell or a shrink all enemies attack, but it definitely isn't completely pointless.

An interesting note -- hit a speed-up after getting inked (either on the ground or using a mushroom) and the ink comes off your windsheild.

classicb
11-17-2005, 04:29 PM

the last half lap is almost a chess match. I won one game that I was leading in the last half lap by letting myself fall into second when I saw one of the people in the back had picked up a winged blue turtle shell. I let him take the hit and I got the win. My favorite victory so far.

also note to self I need to start playing more of the GP mode because it seems a lot of people have karts and people I haven't unlocked yet.

goatdan
11-17-2005, 05:53 PM
the last half lap is almost a chess match. I won one game that I was leading in the last half lap by letting myself fall into second when I saw one of the people in the back had picked up a winged blue turtle shell. I let him take the hit and I got the win. My favorite victory so far.

Yes. Another thing that I've done a few times in those games where people disconnected from me (grrr) was the pack was all pretty close, so I purposely fell into fourth with only two pick ups to go. On the first, you get something good, like a Star or a shrink or whatever, and you don't use it until right before you pick up the last one. That way, you still get a good thing for being in last, but you just got an advantage. I've used this a few times to make up distance at the end.

It's tricky though. If you're too far back, you can use items and still be in last place.

Jasoco
11-18-2005, 12:10 AM
I got it today and I am loving it so far for the most part.

One thing I really love is all the references to Super Mario Bros 3. The desert level with the sun in the sky that attacks you and the red piping and jumping firesnakes. The Airships attacking the castle.

Also more references to Mario 64 with the Tick Tock Clock. Peaches castle but this time in the gardens.

And Waluigi Pinball kicks ass!

What I really would have loved to see is levels referencing Mario Bros 1 and 2. Especially a Bowsers Castle full of white bricks, spinning firebars, lava pits. Basically what's there but with a SMB1 theme. Or the neat -3 levels with the cliffs and mushrooms.

And the classic levels are awesome. But I never played the GBA version so the GBA ported levels are new to me. I gotta get that game.

So what all is unlockable in this game? I've already gotten Daisy and Dry Bones as well as played all through he 50cc cups. Any new sets of levels? What all characters? I saw a R.O.B. while online in my first game. That was cool.

Also, question, why is it when I'm online I am so freaking slow? The other people always seem to jump ahead of me. I don't mean the special speedy start you can do, but normal starting people still beat me. No matter what character I use.

NE146
11-18-2005, 12:42 AM
Also, question, why is it when I'm online I am so freaking slow? The other people always seem to jump ahead of me.

You need to learn the mini turbo boost and use it a LOT....or die ;)

videogameking26
11-18-2005, 12:49 AM
Got it...great game :-P

Nesmaster
11-18-2005, 07:44 AM
Just had a round with Cmtz... stop running into my bananas LOL

Hopefully we can get a 4 way going tonight, since it's friday :)

Also, question, why is it when I'm online I am so freaking slow? The other people always seem to jump ahead of me.

You need to learn the mini turbo boost and use it a LOT....or die ;)

Yeah that, and stalk someone for a few seconds and you'll get a drift boost :P. If you can effectively pull off the powerslide boost, you will be fair game :D

Jasoco
11-18-2005, 11:50 AM
I'm a master at poweslides and I used to be able to master the quick boost at start by hitting gas just as the race starts, but now I can't! Did they change it? Everyone else does it but me!

Also, Dry Bones may be slow but in a race he kicks ass on accelleration.

I now have three different karts per character. Dry Bones' tank is awesome looking.

But 150cc is wow super fast. I finally got a silver cup. No more gold for me. I was doing awesome through the first three courses then totally sucked when I got to the GCN Luigi's course on the Retro Mushroom Cup. I still want a SMB looking level! NES graphics like that Tennis court! Here's hoping for it in the Revolution Mario Kart. (It'll come. It's inevitable.)

And about time they put in single player computerized opponents in battle mode.

I love the bullet. Shoots you ahead running through everything in its path.

And you gotta love those blue shells. Once they're fired they have their target locked. So if you are 2nd place and someone launches one. You can still take out the first place kart and the blue shell will still go after him leaving you to launch yourself forward even more. Wheeeeeeee...

Mario Kart kicks ass as always.

philosophyst
11-18-2005, 12:07 PM
I'm a master at poweslides and I used to be able to master the quick boost at start by hitting gas just as the race starts, but now I can't! Did they change it? Everyone else does it but me!

Hit the gas right when the "2" in "3-2-1" is about to disappear. ;)

classicb
11-18-2005, 12:10 PM
And you gotta love those blue shells. Once they're fired they have their target locked. So if you are 2nd place and someone launches one. You can still take out the first place kart and the blue shell will still go after him leaving you to launch yourself forward even more. Wheeeeeeee...

I was playing somebody from DP online in a head to head match and we were on our final half a lap and I had a blue shell and I tried to slow down to get him in front of me so I could blow him up but it didn't work and we both ended up stoped in the middle of the track so I blew us both up and it was a no item race to the finish (which I lost).

see you all online tonight its been fun.

also I wish there was a stat for ties because I've had at least a dozen of those.

Daniel Thomas
11-18-2005, 12:48 PM
One feature I really wish Nintendo included was the ability to upload replays of online races. There have been some terrific races between us...at least on the ones where I'm not slamming into every wall and green pipe. Good glayvin, I can be a clutz sometimes.

I'm impressed at how challenging the one-player modes are. 50cc is easy, but 100cc is much tougher. I've won gold on Mushroom, Flower, and Star, and I'm so damned close to getting the Gold in Special, but I keep getting knocked around on Bowser's Castle and Rainbow Road (which, incindentally, is the best RR ever). I don't think I'll be getting ROB anytime soon.

NE146
11-18-2005, 01:16 PM
There have been some terrific races between us...

Except for the time you disconnected on our race :(

;)

Six Switch
11-18-2005, 02:09 PM
so my record was 1-5.i am playing a game and in the the third game of the round,i won the first two.my game freezes and it says the connection is lost so i go to check my record and it is 1-4.

how that happened,i have no idea.

people are good online,i am not.play with me if you want an easy win.

Needle
11-18-2005, 02:21 PM
Has anyone started to notice the character balance is a bit skewed? I was talking to my good friend about it earlier, and over the past 48 hours I've also seen some slight issues on the worldwide network.

It seems most people with killer records on the network are using either Yoshi or Luigi right now. I don't know what it is about those two characters, but the winner of the races in the games I've played is almost always a Yoshi or Luigi driver.

I almost never see anyone take heavy-type karts. That pretty much rules out Bowser, Wario, and Donkey Kong.

I've been sticking with Daisy recently, as she has a very high drift rating, however I'm getting frustrated with her apparent lack of speed. Also, despite her high item rank, I always seem to get mushrooms when I could really use something a bit more destructive. Sigh!

In any event, I'm going to crash the DP chat room and see if I can't find some folks to play with.

11-18-2005, 04:08 PM
I've completed the game. I can now choose from 36 karts per character. And I opened Daisy, ROB, Waluigi, Dry Bones, and uhh, maybe thats it.

I mostly use luigi, but now that I've opened up every kart per character it really doesn't matter who I pick as long as I pick a good kart to match.

Besides, so what if everyone picks the same kart, just like every MK game out there some characters were suited better for road racing and some for battle mode. In the past I'd use bowser to race and toad to battle. However bowser is no where near as good in this game as most in the past, his top speed just isn't as good, plus you can't bump people as far off course in wifi mode. But I guess thats ok, because I remeber there was no way to win 150cc in the SNES version unless you got a heavy high speed guy. But now you can beat 150cc with most any kart.

philosophyst
11-18-2005, 05:15 PM
I don't think I have much (if anything) unlocked yet. What exactly needs to be completed in order to unlock different Karts and/or characters?

I've been spending too much time racing online instead of trying out the single player mode.

Let me know if you know. ;)

classicb
11-18-2005, 05:40 PM
What exactly needs to be completed in order to unlock different Karts and/or characters?

Let me know if you know. ;)

I was going to type it out but this is easier

http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/ds/code/920788.html

philosophyst
11-18-2005, 05:50 PM
I was going to type it out but this is easier

http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/ds/code/920788.html

Wow, very informitive, thanks a lot for posting the link!!

davidbrit2
11-18-2005, 05:52 PM
I've found that Yoshi with his Cucumber kart is an extremely effective combination. That kart has a really high item stat, and if you're playing against opponents, let's face it, the game is basically an item fight that goes to the person who gets the best weapons and has the best acceleration. His drift turning radius is really bad in the Cucumber, though, so don't expect to get much use out of the boost turn. But you won't need it much, seeing as the acceleration and handling stats are extremely good.

Daniel Thomas
11-18-2005, 10:35 PM
There have been some terrific races between us...

Except for the time you disconnected on our race :(

;)

Actually, the batteries finally cut out. The red light was flashing for the better part of an hour, and I was really stretching it. It wasn't my fault, the coffeeshop (Plan B) was playing The Misfits.

Jasoco
11-18-2005, 11:50 PM
Hit the gas right when the "2" in "3-2-1" is about to disappear. ;)Weird. It used to be press right when the green light hits. Oh well. I got it to work. Thanks! :)

Nesmaster
11-19-2005, 12:08 AM
Hit the gas right when the "2" in "3-2-1" is about to disappear. ;)Weird. It used to be press right when the green light hits. Oh well. I got it to work. Thanks! :)

Yup, I didn't get it either until I read the thread. I kept trying it the old fashioned way, right before go. I thought I was the only one who didn't know how to do it :P

Jasoco
11-19-2005, 12:14 AM
Thanks for the suggestion about Yoshi's Cucumbr Kart. It worked wonders on 150cc. :D

You know, it's funny. When the first Mario Kart came out on the SNES years ago, I remember one thing that stands out. It was the first time I ever saw one of Mario's enemies portrayed as the good guy. Lakitu. The flag waver. The light holder. Before that game, Mario was the good guy and his enemies were always his enemies. MK changed everything. It was then I knew that there was more to the Mario universe than we thought. Bad guys as we knew them were stereotypes! A Goomba was always the enemy. A Koopa was always the enemy. Stereotypes! Mario Kart changed all that and showed that a Goomba can choose whether it wants to be bad. A Koopa can choose whether it wants to be good. It showed that the Mario universe was bigger than we really thought.

Think about that. :)

Chronodriftersx
11-19-2005, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the suggestion about Yoshi's Cucumbr Kart. It worked wonders on 150cc. :D

You know, it's funny. When the first Mario Kart came out on the SNES years ago, I remember one thing that stands out. It was the first time I ever saw one of Mario's enemies portrayed as the good guy. Lakitu. The flag waver. The light holder. Before that game, Mario was the good guy and his enemies were always his enemies. MK changed everything. It was then I knew that there was more to the Mario universe than we thought. Bad guys as we knew them were stereotypes! A Goomba was always the enemy. A Koopa was always the enemy. Stereotypes! Mario Kart changed all that and showed that a Goomba can choose whether it wants to be bad. A Koopa can choose whether it wants to be good. It showed that the Mario universe was bigger than we really thought.

Interesting post I thought along similar lines. Also Mario Party has a similar feel in that way.

Jasoco
11-19-2005, 12:26 AM

Interesting post I thought along similar lines. Also Mario Party has a similar feel in that way.

Actually, any game after MK does this way. Before MK, all enemies were enemies. There were no good enemies. Then MK came along. Showed that former enemies could still get together and have a good time. Racing. Later came party games. In Mario 64 we had a good Koopa Troopa. Good Bob-ombs. Mario RPG had good enemies as well. As did the Paper Marios. It's amazing. I'm glad Nintendo decided to break down the stereotype wall.

classicb
11-19-2005, 03:40 AM
JJNova you are the man. I've never been hit by so many green shells nor have I ever drove in reverse to try to win a race. Even though I only won 1 out of 8 races they were some of the best races I've had so far.

JJNova
11-19-2005, 03:51 AM
JJNova you are the man. I've never been hit by so many green shells nor have I ever drove in reverse to try to win a race. Even though I only won 1 out of 8 races they were some of the best races I've had so far.

Oh yeah, I definitely enjoyed our matches. I liked how I slowed down with that blue shell, and instead of passing me, you pulled up next to me and parked right there in the mud. I was laughing so hard. Damn that screen that shows what the other guy is holding.

Oh yeah, and I like to pride myself on my green shell capabilities. Too bad it really doesn't win me too many victories against DarkStraw.

pacmanhat
11-19-2005, 01:09 PM
Grrr...I just played my first online match, and after winning the first two races, the other players dropped out. It may have been a lag out or two, but it reeks of sore-losership. That kinda ruined my online experience, at least for the time being.

Besides that, though, this game is PHENOMENAL. I can't wait to unlock some more stuff and see what else this game has to offer.

Also, can anyone give me some advice on beating Mission 1-8? For the life of me, I can't seem to get the 'slide boost' to work at all. :(

classicb
11-19-2005, 01:38 PM
Grrr...I just played my first online match, and after winning the first two races, the other players dropped out. It may have been a lag out or two, but it reeks of sore-losership. That kinda ruined my online experience, at least for the time being.

that happens more times than not. Its better to just play against people here on DP since most everyone stays untill the end. I've only had maybe one or two people drop out here on DP and I would guess even those were to connection failures.

11-19-2005, 01:44 PM
Who gets what item last really doesn't decide a match. I've had people get spike shells when I'm in the lead about to cross the finish line and still won. It can help but it doesn't make all the difference. If you're a good enough racer you can make due, maybe you're far enough ahead, or maybe you know how to avoid it. Whatever the case the game isn't all about items.

slip81
11-19-2005, 05:08 PM
Is it possible to have WiFi battle matches, or is straigt racing the only option for online?

davidbrit2
11-19-2005, 05:20 PM
Is it possible to have WiFi battle matches, or is straigt racing the only option for online?

Just straight 4 race GP mode style play.

ubersaurus
11-19-2005, 06:16 PM
So, while having a comfortable lead in bowser's castle on 150cc today, I am hit by a first place shell. In midair. Knocking me into the lava, just long enough to get passed.

Rainbow Road, I figured, I can catch up easy here. Well, near the beginning, Koopa knocks me off the track. I respawn, JUST in time to get hit with a bullet bill, and knock right back off. I spent the next two laps catching up with an endless stream of gold mushrooms and bullet bills, but near the end, having gotten back into 4th on the tail of the 3 leaders, lightning strikes when I pick up a weapon, and thusly I have no way of catching up.

I'm speechless.

goatdan
11-19-2005, 10:57 PM
Also, can anyone give me some advice on beating Mission 1-8? For the life of me, I can't seem to get the 'slide boost' to work at all. :(

Slide boost ->

Hit the hop button (right shoulder) while starting a turn. While you are sliding press left -> right (or right -> left) with the second direction being the direction you're turning in. Do this once, and you'll see blue sparks. Do it twice and you'll see red sparks and you'll do a slide boost and speed up.

Honestly, I've found that rarely in real races does doing a slide-boost work for catching you up. The other boosts are much more useful. That having been said, that's the way to do it ;)

Daniel Thomas
11-20-2005, 01:37 AM
The trick is often knowing when to use powerslide boosts, and when not to. Some of the snakier racetracks practically require it, but many of them don't. The key is to treat the powerslides as one of many skills you can use, and much of it depends on which characters you use (and which karts, once you have all 36 unlocked).

Nesmaster
11-20-2005, 01:39 AM
Thanks for the game NE146 :). Some of those were @_@ close! :P

NE146
11-20-2005, 01:43 AM

No problem... was fun! :D I got creamed as usual LOL

Damn you guys have got a lot of GAMES under your belt already.. what was your record like 60 games total already? X_x :)

Nesmaster
11-20-2005, 02:10 AM

No problem... was fun! :D I got creamed as usual LOL

Damn you guys have got a lot of GAMES under your belt already.. what was your record like 60 games total already? X_x :)

so far i'm at 50 wins 28 losses :P

joshnickerson
11-20-2005, 03:33 PM
Just picked it up, but I have no Wi-Fi access yet. I guess I'll end up ordering the dongle from Nintendo.

Other than that, I'm digging the single player mode. I especially love the Retro Cup. There's just something enjoyable about playing the Luigi's Speedway track from Double Dash on my little DS.

Jasoco
11-20-2005, 07:15 PM
This game really really really really needs a lobby and messaging features. It's a pain to always end up in random battles. You can't say "Hey, Bob. Meet me for a game." It's more like "Hey, Bob. If we're lucky, we'll get paired up."

5 wins and 12 losses.

Six Switch
11-20-2005, 07:32 PM
i have yet to play with anyone from dp,i hope to change that soon.

11-20-2005, 08:44 PM
I've never had a problem grouping with people I wanted to. If I did have problems thats what the locks on the friends roster is for. If you lock a name its all but 100% sure you'll connect with them. But I do wish there was a lobby, we have chat software but we have no reason to use it.

DarkStraw
11-20-2005, 10:40 PM
although i dont think the items determine the outcome by themselves i think they might be a bit overpowered, i mean it dosent matter how far ahead you get because the person in back will get good items, it makes your effort to get ahead kind of pointless. What i do sometimes is stay behind intentionaly around the middle of the race and doge the bananna peels and fake boxes, and bid my time untill i get a really good item like a star, then i hold it till race is almost over (ran past the last of the item boxes) and use it.

Jasoco
11-21-2005, 03:21 AM
Locking isn't good enough. I have real friends that I know in person. We like to play together too. How do I know when I connect whether I'm going to get one of them or one of you guys? I want a way to CHOOSE who I play against! At least from groups of friends!

Smooth move, Nintendo.