PDA

View Full Version : PS2 RPG's - would you consider them a part of the collection

Joelius
11-15-2005, 09:19 AM
I'm in a little personal dilemna, I'm strapped for cash. So I guess here's my question to you all. Are Strategy RPG's (Makai Kingdom, Phantom Brave, etc.) considered a part of an RPG collection. I mean, I take pride in having many a RPGs for the PS2 that many don't, but would these Strategy RPGs kinda be considered their own little genre from the standard turn based RPGs?

Sylentwulf
11-15-2005, 09:31 AM
Without a doubt I consider them RPG's.

Some games like the zelda series I don't consider RPGs at all while some people do, but the PS2 SRPGS are without a doubt considered RPG's by me at least.

Thing is, ANY genre can be broken down farther and farther. Final Fantasy X, Xenosaga, and Star Ocean could be considered movie rpg's if you want to be technical since there is FAR more watching than playing in those, so do they count?

Joelius
11-15-2005, 09:33 AM
touche

Guess I'll have to find some other things to get rid of for some cash.

Scoots
11-15-2005, 09:36 AM
dude it's your collection, why would you care what other people think. questions like this drive me crazy.

tritium
11-15-2005, 09:44 AM
Nope. I consider SRPG to be a different genre. Namely because I dislike them =)

I also consider Action RPG's like zelda a different Genre.

But I do like zelda.

I think it depends on the collector's view.

anagrama
11-15-2005, 09:57 AM
I'm 100% with Scoots on this one - set your own parameters, there's no hard and fast rules to collecting, and asking other people to define what you collect is ridiculous.

kevin_psx
11-15-2005, 09:58 AM
dude it's your collection, why would you care what other people think. questions like this drive me crazy.

YEP! If you don't play it - why keep it? - is my policy.

Austin
11-15-2005, 11:36 AM
No, absolutely no way they're RPGs!

....or, just kidding. ;) I'd count them more than I would, say, a Zelda game, or an action-rpg. But if you do decide to clear out any of them (I'm missing Stella Deus, Makai Kingdom) I'd certainly be interested in taking them off your hands. Let me know if you decide to sell.

Snapple
11-15-2005, 11:56 AM
If me saying that SRPGs are not RPGs will keep you from selling your house, then no, they're not RPGs.

tylerwillis
11-15-2005, 12:04 PM

But I do like zelda.

I'm with tritium... in my collection db, I define out
Strategy RPGs
Traditional RPGs (turn-based variant)
Action RPGs

But I consider them all to be part of my overall RPG collection. But it's your deal.

tritium
11-15-2005, 12:11 PM

But I do like zelda.

I'm with tritium... in my collection db, I define out
Strategy RPGs
Traditional RPGs (turn-based variant)
Action RPGs

But I consider them all to be part of my overall RPG collection. But it's your deal.

Whoooo Someone agreed with me!!! that's a first.

Anyway, I agree with the general consensus that you buy what you like to play FIRST. for example, I collect DC games, and I bought all the RPG's first, and working on the fighters second, everything else can wait. =)

Sylentwulf
11-15-2005, 12:57 PM
I didn't think we were defining a genre, or telling him what to collect and what not to collect, just stating our opinions :)

I tend to have very few game categories myself when I think of what type a game is.
Sports, RPGs, Action/adventure, ummm...... Puzzle games, Music Games, fighting games, fps/war games.

Think that just about covers every game I can think of off the top of my head.

Aussie2B
11-15-2005, 02:05 PM
They're definitely RPGs to me. I'd be quicker to include them as RPGs than adventure stuff like Zelda, Crystalis, Secret of Mana, etc.

kevin_psx
11-15-2005, 04:05 PM
Forget genre - I order my games alphabetically

A B C D E F G - now I know my ABC's - aren't you proud of me? LOL

maxlords
11-15-2005, 07:52 PM
I agree with tritium and tyler. They're a variation on RPGs but not traditional RPGs. And if you like them...keep em. If you don't, sell.

Daria
11-15-2005, 11:00 PM
SRPG, yup it's definately part of an all around RPG collection. If you want to specialize in traditional RPGs only then by all means go for it. But why argue genre classification just to validate your purchases? If you don't enjoy the games, or type of games then sell them off and help fund the purchases of turn based games you'll have fun playing.