PDA

View Full Version : Why the hate for the Cube controller?

kevin_psx
11-16-2005, 05:31 PM
Kirby's Avalanche for SNES was the US version of Puyo Puyo, Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (Genesis) was the US version of Puyo Puyo 2. Both are fantastic games. :) I love Puyo Pop Fever, but I hate the Gamecube controller. I'm going to need to pick up a nice ascii controller or arcade stick or something one of these days.

Don't understand this - hate? Strong word. I prefer the standard PS2 controller - but don't think the Cube controller is terrible. It has the required analog sticks and buttons to make modern games work.

Even played Soul Calibur - ps2 or cube - I can adjust to either. I'm flexible. 'Course I do have small hands. Maybe that makes a difference???

RCM
11-16-2005, 05:42 PM
I dig all the standard first party current gen controllers. I don't understand the bitching either. Sure people can have a preference for one over the other, but all are solid.

roushimsx
11-16-2005, 05:45 PM
The dpad is atrocious and extremely uncomfortable to use, which is a large hinderance for games that either require the dpad (Ikaruga) or require the dpad for remotely accurate control (Puyo Pop Fever).

It's a great controller for racing games (it saddens me that Burnout 3 didn't make it to the cube) and anything that makes heavy use of the analog stick (with the exception of Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes, which was a clusterfuck of XFL proportions), but that dpad...jesus...it takes skill, dedication, and hard work to make a dpad worse than the playstation's, but Nintendo did it. Good job, Nintendo.

edit - oh, and thanks for quoting me out of the context of the original thread. Hugs and kissed to you, too.

ProgrammingAce
11-16-2005, 05:46 PM
I have pretty big hands, but I think the controller sucks for a number of reasons.

The C-Stick isn't half as good as the C buttons of the N-64 controller. It's a sad attempt at adding a second analog stick.

The Z-Button is probably the stupidest invention in controller history. It's nearly impossible to reach, and they didn't bother to balance the controller by putting one on the other side.

The D-Pad is impossibly small, and i have a real hard time getting the diagnals with my big thumbs.

Holding down the sholder buttons for any long length of time is carpel tunnel inducing.

Overall, i hate the controller. But that's just my two cents.

DonMarco
11-16-2005, 05:50 PM
I've had one A button go dead on me.

Other than that, it's not all that bad.

roushimsx
11-16-2005, 05:51 PM
The Z-Button is probably the stupidest invention in controller history. It's nearly impossible to reach, and they didn't bother to balance the controller by putting one on the other side.

Oh man, I totally forgot about the Z button...probably because it's in an impossibly out of the way and inconvient place.

I love the way the shoulder buttons curve and fit like a glove, but then they slapped the z button up there so your finger has to travel over the upper ledge of the R button....and then the z button is just a tiny sliver that's easy to miss if you've got moderate to large hands.

The C stick doesn't bother me; in fact i actually like that it has a smaller top because I can shift my thumb from it to the other buttons quicker. Considering the design on the R button, it's surprising that they left this one as they did...you'd expect them to make it match their left analog stick.

Oh god, and that little start button...the dot in the middle of the controller... what the hell?

njiska
11-16-2005, 06:00 PM
Reason #1: The C Stick
Reason #2: The wired cord is too short and the controller is too small.
Reason #3: THE MOTHERFUCKING C Stick.

Don't get me wrong i love the Wavebird but i fucking hate the C Stick. My friend who posts on here as James has actually gone as far as replaceing the c-stick on his wavebirds with another left analog stick.

I really don't know why they made it without a hat.

davepesc
11-16-2005, 06:17 PM
I agree with most of the complaints here, so I'll just add that I cannot, under any circumstances, hit the Y button without also hitting the A button.

sharp
11-16-2005, 07:17 PM
I don't have any problems with it except for the digital stick. As I don't play those with it, but with my Hori Fighting Stick. That it's too small, I have more problems with the M$ Controller S.

stressboy
11-16-2005, 07:47 PM
I have never had too many problems with it, but it could be because my hands are somewhat small.

Whiskers the Wonder Cat
11-16-2005, 07:48 PM
The cube controllers were a bit intimidating to me. Too many buttons, and confuses the hell out of you when playing wrestling games like WWE:DOR.

CYRiX
11-16-2005, 07:53 PM
In a world where the more buttons the better, they stick one huge ass button in the middle when they could get like atleast two buttons there.

I guess what I want to say is that the controller looks so empty and I'd rather have more buttons.

MegaDrive20XX
11-16-2005, 07:56 PM
Really? Damn, I always heard nice things about the controller. EXCEPT don't mention CVS2 to anyone LOL That's cause "Fatal" fury amongst fans..

captain nintendo
11-16-2005, 08:09 PM
I never use my wired controllers and never will.

Well besides my ASC II keyboard controller, which I find that I like using for more than just online PSO :-P

Of course nothing compares to the greatness that is the Wavebird ;)

studvicious
11-16-2005, 08:38 PM
I love the GC controller. Sure the button layout looks like a total mess, but for most games it fits well.

jdc
11-16-2005, 09:52 PM
If I could plug Cube controllers into all of my systems, current or retro, I would. Best controller I've ever used. Mainly because it fits my small hands. I like the positive feel of the sticks. The triggers are perfect. Once you get used to it you can find that Z button in a flash. The only small gripe is that I wish that the buttons had more "throw" to them.

11-16-2005, 10:10 PM
Whats wrong with the Z button? Its in the same place as the R1 button an a PS2. What is the big deal? I've never had a single problem with the controller, or any of the other system's controllers.

sabre2922
11-16-2005, 10:11 PM
I like the GC controller but the c stick is slightly akward and the D pad sucks for 2-D fighters but there arent many of those on the Gamecube anyway.

I have to admit that when I had my Gamecube I COULD NOT PLAY SPLINTER CELL WITH THE CONTROLLER the one less button setup when compared to the PS2 and Xbox is really bad for multiport games like that wich are much more easier to play with the PS2 dualshock controller and I hated playing madden or any kind of sports game with it.

Ed Oscuro
11-16-2005, 10:14 PM
I love the Cube controller...can't really imagine trying to play Resident Evil 4 with a Dual Shock, but I guess it'd work. The two-face-button design is surprisingly able - take Metroid Prime, or check out the old cancelled Hook Man E3 demo for RE4. You couldn't do Ninja Gaiden on it, though - not enough face buttons.

ClassicGameTrader
11-16-2005, 10:17 PM
The GC controller is super underrated. The first game I played on it alot was RE4 and it was AMAZING. GC has a great controller for 3D games, I haven't played it for 2D games yet but it has a great feel.

The Manimal
11-16-2005, 11:04 PM
That "Z" button or whatever makes a spring noise every time I press it. I don't like that part about the controller. I bought it new. It works though.

Ed Oscuro
11-16-2005, 11:18 PM
That "Z" button or whatever makes a spring noise every time I press it. I don't like that part about the controller. I bought it new. It works though.
That's the one right above the right shoulder trigger. Doesn't make any noise like that on mine, just a subdued click/mash noise (rather like a SNES face button, actually).

goatdan
11-16-2005, 11:24 PM
I'm big-handed, and I love the GameCube controller. I like the fact that the C-stick isn't just another analog joystick. I don't find the d-pad hard to use. And I really like the layout of the face buttons.

I agree about the Z button, which is nearly impossible to use at all.

But that's made up with the fact that the two-button approach of the triggers, in my opinion is awesome.

And whoever said that the controls on Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes sucked, I don't get it. Personally, I thought that other than the use of the Z button those were just about as good as it gets for a third person game.

Tron 2.0
11-16-2005, 11:42 PM
I have pretty big hands, but I think the controller sucks for a number of reasons.

The C-Stick isn't half as good as the C buttons of the N-64 controller. It's a sad attempt at adding a second analog stick.

The D-Pad is impossibly small, and i have a real hard time getting the diagnals with my big thumbs.

Holding down the sholder buttons for any long length of time is carpel tunnel inducing.

Overall, i hate the controller. But that's just my two cents.
Agreed even though, nintendo wanted to try some different i think it failed. Some times i perfer to use my, PS1 controller with a adapter on my GC.

Chronodriftersx
11-16-2005, 11:45 PM
That's the one right above the right shoulder trigger. Doesn't make any noise like that on mine, just a subdued click/mash noise (rather like a SNES face button, actually).

Mybe what he meant was the clicky poppy effect.

The Manimal, Hey was that what you meant?

Push Upstairs
11-16-2005, 11:53 PM
While i feel no ill towards the actual system I admit i'm not a big fan of the controller.

Lemme see...i have long fingers so the controller doesnt feel right in my hand.

Z-button. Why put a single button *there* of all places?

On the plus side,at least its not the N64 controller.

sabre2922
11-17-2005, 12:28 AM
While i feel no ill towards the actual system I admit i'm not a big fan of the controller.

Amen to that brother

Ill be prefectly content if I NEVER have to touch another horrid N64 controller again :puke:

Chronodriftersx
11-17-2005, 12:36 AM

Amen to that brother

Ill be prefectly content if I NEVER have to touch another horrid N64 controller again :puke:

:evil:

slip81
11-17-2005, 12:50 AM
I don't mind it, but for some reason after moderate to long periods of play my right hand starts to cramp up.

And I hate the C stick for baseball games, for me it's too hard to accurately throw to the correct base. But that problem is easily fixed, I don't buy baseball games for the GC.

Chronodriftersx
11-17-2005, 12:56 AM
I don't mind it, but for some reason after moderate to long periods of play my right hand starts to cramp up.
http://i23.ebayimg.com/04/i/05/60/9e/e0_2.JPG
Over at Mariokart64.com messageboard many players open up their controller and take out the clicky thing from the right hand shoulder button so they can do mt's and ssmt's without cramping problems. The end result is the shoulder button feels like the n64 should button, click without straining.

Nez
11-17-2005, 01:07 AM
Its a good controller, very versitle, yet the layout makes things simpler.

The D pad is good for what its mainly used for, items chenging weapons but for the love of god it makes pulling off anymove in Capcom VS Snk 2 EO IMPOSSIBLE. Dont even bother. Just get a ps2 addapter or better yet the DC PS2 Xbox versions.

SoulBlazer
11-17-2005, 02:12 AM
Well, I think the GameCube controller is the BEST GAME CONSOLE one EVER MADE. ;)

Maybe it's just me. :D

poloplayr
11-17-2005, 03:17 AM
i LOVE the cube controller. high-quality piece of gaming hardware and it sits just perfectly in your hands.

Chronodriftersx
11-17-2005, 03:32 AM
it works best when HELD UPSIDE DOWN during use LOL :P

everyone should know I love gamecube

kevin_psx
11-17-2005, 07:25 AM
edit - oh, and thanks for quoting me out of the context of the original thread. Hugs and kissed to you, too.

I apologize. But don't think I destroyed the original context of your message. It's clear what you meant - you love Puyo but not the GC controller.

kevin_psx
11-17-2005, 07:33 AM
Oh man, I totally forgot about the Z button...probably because it's in an impossibly out of the way and inconvient place. I love the way the shoulder buttons curve and fit like a glove, but then they slapped the z button up there so your finger has to travel over the upper ledge of the R button....and then the z button is just a tiny sliver that's easy to miss

Oh god, and that little start button...the dot in the middle of the controller... what the hell?

Don't understand your complaint? You rarely use the start - why's it matter where it's placed? But you're 100% correct about the Z button! If they had made the R button flat it's be a heck of a lot easier to reach the Z. Like the controller but hate the Z.

And D-pads - doesn't matter what system - I hate 'em. I prefer an Atari joystick or Pac-man joystick for better control!

I liked the N64 controller better than the Cube controller. A stick and trigger for your left hand & 5 buttons for your right. Awesome.

snes_collector
11-17-2005, 04:33 PM
I love the GameCube controller fells really comfy in my hands. I don't like the Xbox controller though, too big for my hands.

AMG
11-17-2005, 06:02 PM
The only thing I hate about the Gamecube controller is the pretty much worthless D-Pad. It's far too small and has a poor location.

I like everything else about the controller.

Xizer
11-17-2005, 06:14 PM
The GameCube controller is WAY better than any controller that's ever existed. Everything about it is perfect, with the exception of the D-Pad - a slight size increase would have been nice.

The PS1/PS2 controller, on the other hand, is a different story. That is quite possibly the shittiest controller ever designed.

Lady Jaye
11-17-2005, 06:47 PM
I love the GCN controller. Maybe it's because I have small hands, but it's the first controller since the Genesis that has been very comfy to me.

shopkins
11-17-2005, 07:37 PM
My only problem is the C-stick simply doesn't work for traditional first person shooters where you have two analog controls. I'm sure it was mostly the shitty game's fault, but I gave up in frustration after trying to play the first level of Die Hard: Vendetta, completely unable to hit anything.

roushimsx
11-17-2005, 07:46 PM
I'm sure it was mostly the shitty game's fault, but I gave up in frustration after trying to play the first level of Die Hard: Vendetta, completely unable to hit anything.

Oh yea, that was 100% the game's fault. If you turn on the aiming cone then it makes it the easiest FPS ever, but with it off it's one of the most frustrating and difficult.

For a good example of FPS done right on the Cube, check out 007: Nightfire. Not only is it an excellent game (as opposed to the piece of shit PC gamers got :( ), it also controls beautifully.

Other games (Timesplitters, Die Hard, etc) manage to botch the aiming in various ways, unfortunatly.

Snapple
11-18-2005, 02:38 AM
I have no problem with the A, B, X, and Y buttons, as well as the analog stick.

However, the directional pad is worthless. It's tiny, and I'm just glad I almost never have to use it.

The Z Button is completely out of place. The index finger goes on the R button, and it stays there. It cannot come up to fumble for the Z button.

The N64 controller is almost perfect in my opinion. I don't know why they tried to screw around with it so much. You don't HAVE to make major changes to a controller to prove you're staying on the edge.

Although when the Revolution comes out, everyone will wish they had the Gamecube controller again.

And don't even act like we don't KNOW the Revolution controller is going to suck until we play it. It's going to suck.

Jean-Luc Picard
11-18-2005, 06:46 AM
I like the Cube controller. It's very comfortable but it has its flaws. As it's been said, the D-pas is, in my opinion, completely useless. It's too tiny to be accurate. I already disliked it on the first GBA. Sometimes, I press rigt but because it's so small it presses down at the same time. I have several 2D games (I'm a nostalgic) on my GC and it's a shame.

The Z button is not satisfying at all either.

But I love the huuuuge A button and the analogue shoulders. Add the D-pad (borrowed from the SNES) and the trigger of the fabulous N64 controller and you get the best of both worlds.

Gemini-Phoenix
11-18-2005, 08:10 AM
The PS2 controller followed a classic design. To an extent, the Xbox controller based itself on a cross between the PlayStation and Dreamcast designs. The Cube controller tried so hard to be different from both the opposition as well as it's predecessor, the N64 controller...

The Cube controller features less buttons than the PS2 and Xbox ones for a start. That's it's first and major flaw. Secondly, it's too awkward ~ The buttons are in a 1x3 formation, whereas the other two stick to the tried and tested 2x2 (With the Xbox deciding to substitute apair of shoulders for a 3x3 configuration, which has also been tried and tested in the past)

The Cube sticks, although at the same angles as teh Xbox, are odd. You have the main stick with an unusual grip on top (Thumb slides off easially), and the "C" stick is too fiddly and has no grip. Unlike the Xbox's Controller S which features indents. The D Pad is also far too small for even children to actively use. They also do not feature the push-in mechanism that teh Ps2 and Xbox ones have (L3 and R3 on a Ps2 controller) They are as if they were put there as an afterthought just for teh sake of having them.

Lastly, the triggers on the Cube are the most annoying. Not only are they a horrible shape, but they also click. The Dreamcast and Xbox triggers are far better.

Vectorman0
11-18-2005, 08:26 AM
The PS2 controller followed a classic design. To an extent, the Xbox controller based itself on a cross between the PlayStation and Dreamcast designs. The Cube controller tried so hard to be different from both the opposition as well as it's predecessor, the N64 controller...

The Cube controller features less buttons than the PS2 and Xbox ones for a start. That's it's first and major flaw. Secondly, it's too awkward ~ The buttons are in a 1x3 formation, whereas the other two stick to the tried and tested 2x2 (With the Xbox deciding to substitute apair of shoulders for a 3x3 configuration, which has also been tried and tested in the past)

The Cube sticks, although at the same angles as the Xbox, are odd. You have the main stick with an unusual grip on top (Thumb slides off easially), and the "C" stick is too fiddly and has no grip. Unlike the Xbox's Controller S which features indents. The D Pad is also far too small for even children to actively use. They also do not feature the push-in mechanism that the Ps2 and Xbox ones have (L3 and R3 on a Ps2 controller) They are as if they were put there as an afterthought just for the sake of having them.

Lastly, the triggers on the Cube are the most annoying. Not only are they a horrible shape, but they also click. The Dreamcast and Xbox triggers are far better.

You do realize how the Cube R/L triggers work, right? There are a few different mechanisms within each one. When you pull back up until before you click, it can register how far it's being held down and then when you click, it can be used an alternate feature within a game. You could say, hold it halfway down to lock on, and then "Click" to fire. I will admit that they aren't good with games that don't take advantage of them, but it could be used very well if taken advantage of.

I do have to agree with all of your other gripes though, except I actually like the cube's analog stick, and it is by far the most accurate/precise of the three current gen systems.

Dobie
11-18-2005, 08:50 AM
The analog shoulder buttons bug me. Hardly any games use them properly--they're treated just like a PS2 shoulder button in most cases, which is not how I think they were intended to be used.

I have come to dislike the C-stick, but its not bad per se, just not as good as the Xbox S-type analog stick.

The Wavebird however, even with the above flaws, was my favorite controller of this generation. Finally, a wireless controller done right! I plan to never go back to a wired controller, and I pray every night that the Xbox 360's wireless controller is done as well. as the Wavebird.