PDA

View Full Version : Classic vs. Modern Gaming

digitalpress
11-18-2005, 03:11 PM
It's been awhile since we've changed things up here, allow me to explain.

As of five minutes ago, the old general "Video Gaming" forum was re-named "Classic Gaming" and this new forum "Modern Gaming" was born. While we're not fans of splitting forums up into tiny pieces, this simple division will allow people interested in ONLY the new stuff to chat away about the latest games and industry developments in the modern section. Meanwhile, the historians and long-time gamers can continue to reminisce about the games of yesteryear in the classic section.

I fought this off for as long as I could, but with the burst in new systems and an influx of members really keen to talk about them, it seems the time is now to satisfy both sides. And if you happen to be an "all era, all system" gamer like myself and most of the moderators, it's just one extra forum to check out. We spend most of our days clicking links here anyway so what's one more link to click, right?

I tried to make it as simple as possible, with PS2 being the cutoff point. This cutoff point will obviously change over time, and as systems are phased out they'll jump over the fence from the modern area to the classic area and away we go.

Hope you enjoy the change!

SoulBlazer
11-18-2005, 03:15 PM
I understand the desire to fight it off, Joe, but like you I think with the XBox 360 and other systems coming out in the next year it's probaly for the best.

I'll be posting in both forums, of course. :D

Keep up the good work around here!

goatdan
11-18-2005, 03:23 PM
I understand it, although I'd rather have it the other way myself. Of course, I'll still keep checking both.

philosophyst
11-18-2005, 03:30 PM
This is a great idea as far as I'm concerned. Thanks Joe! :D

njiska
11-18-2005, 03:39 PM
Any system launch is bound to generate a lot of threads and discussion. I'm glad you decided to dedicate a new forum to modern discussion rather then simply cramming all of the 360 threads into one offical thread like you did with the PSP.

This way everything is nice and sorted and nothing is run together.

Good call.

Damaramu
11-18-2005, 03:49 PM
I like it, Joe. Thanks! :D

anagrama
11-18-2005, 03:52 PM
I was in favour of this the last time it was mooted, and it's good to see it implemented now :)

The Brown Eye
11-18-2005, 04:03 PM
I'm definitely in favor of this. It'll make it a lot easier to get to the good stuff. Thanks! :)

badinsults
11-18-2005, 04:12 PM
I am glad to see this happen.

christianscott27
11-18-2005, 04:44 PM
at long last! man if i had a chase the chuckwagon cart for every time i've brought this up.

seriously though i think its a good thing. nothing wrong with the retrogaming roundtable having a retro gaming section.

boatofcar
11-18-2005, 05:07 PM
Joe, I didn't want to say anything in the past because I knew about your opposition to this idea, but I really want to thank you for doing this.

blissfulnoise
11-18-2005, 05:20 PM
I'll also chime and and say I think this is a great idea.

koster
11-18-2005, 05:27 PM
Thanks for doing this, although I guess now the 'Off-Topic' forum description will need updating
("If it doesn't have anything to do with classic or modern gaming, it's going here!")

PDorr3
11-18-2005, 05:27 PM
While I would prefer the old way, I guess this is for the best since the 360 will be stirring alot of commotion around here.

Iron Draggon
11-18-2005, 05:28 PM
I think it's a great idea too. Much appreciated.

Jumpman Jr.
11-18-2005, 05:34 PM
I'd prefer the newer stuff in a different forum. I'm not into the newer era consoles so, to me, the threads about them just clutter things up.

drwily008
11-18-2005, 05:35 PM
Tis a great idea and has long in the waiting.

Thank you Joe!

s1lence
11-18-2005, 06:54 PM
With all the new system crap threads this is perfect. :D

Goodwill Hunter
11-18-2005, 06:58 PM
I was going to post a topic about classic game compilations on the newer systems, but now I don't know where to go with it...

Just kidding! I like this idea...it will be interesting to see how this turns out and what unintended effects occur.

Rich

Felixthegamer
11-18-2005, 07:18 PM
I liked having all the video game talk in one forum, but I understand why you did this. Most people seem in favor of it and like you said, it is another forum to check so it is no big deal :)

tynstar
11-18-2005, 07:23 PM
I think it is a good idea but I think the modern gaming forum should be PS1 - current.

LAGO
11-18-2005, 07:36 PM
i'll just throw in a +1 positive feedback.

Mattiekrome
11-18-2005, 07:53 PM
I like the idea Joe. I'm a big fan of the older pre- PS2/GC/XBOX era, so now it wont be quite as "jumbled" with all kind of theads for every system everywhere... nice :D

SkiDragon
11-18-2005, 08:08 PM
Im not sure iif I like this or not. Perhaps once all the new systems have "dug in", the lists should be recombined?

pacmanhat
11-18-2005, 08:26 PM
I like this new setup a lot...having old and new mixed together was sometimes a bit...strange. To me, at least.

Sylentwulf
11-18-2005, 08:32 PM
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bday: :bday: :bday: :bday: :villagepeople: :bday: :bday: :bday: :bday:

petewhitley
11-18-2005, 08:53 PM
This is a change that I've long desired but never spoke up about. Very much needed and appropriate.

Anthony1
11-18-2005, 09:03 PM
I think this is a great idea. Also, I think the cutoff is at the perfect point. Dreamcast belongs in the classic section and PS2 and newer in the Modern section.

As time goes by, the PS2 can fall into the classic section, and so on and so forth.

I'm perfectly cool with this.

donkeykong1
11-18-2005, 09:26 PM
I think that was an excellent move. this makes it easier to look through the threads. There has been toomany topics concernibg the newer systems and it was making it hard to stir clear from them in search for some classic gaming topics. Very well done indeed.

Mr.FoodMonster
11-18-2005, 09:43 PM
Awesome, I'm actually really glad for this. Even though I'll check out both of them, its just nice to have them in their own separate places. Good choice :D

The Manimal
11-18-2005, 10:13 PM
Does Dreamcast belong in the "Modern" forum? If not, boooo - it makes it seem like it's of a different generation.

Dr. Morbis
11-18-2005, 10:56 PM
Thank you! I'm so glad you did this. DP is now the perfect forum to talk about retrogaming. I've long grown tired of the umpteen thousand next-gen thread titles I had to wade through to find some discussion on the games/systems I'm interested in.
:D

johno590
11-18-2005, 11:00 PM
This is a very good change. People who want to read just classic stuff, can do so, and the same for current.

If you wanna read both, look at both. Simple enough.

Stark
11-18-2005, 11:09 PM
Is this a permanent change or just until the 360 flops? LOL

Flack
11-18-2005, 11:13 PM
Is this a permanent change or just until the 360 flops? LOL

It's as permanent as anything on the Internet gets.

zektor
11-19-2005, 12:48 AM
I think this is an excellent idea Joe. It will make things easier for everyone in the long run in my opinion. Like the wise man once said, "Game On!"

poopnes
11-19-2005, 01:15 AM
I guess I'm in the minority. I liked the mumbo jumbo of new and old. Games are games for me. I'll just have to have two index tabs open in Firefox.

SkiDragon
11-19-2005, 01:19 AM
I thought of another idea. I doesnt bother me too much either way, but is there a way to have a third forum that would automatically mix the other two? I am mostly interested in older stuff, but like to get news for the new stuff, and I tend to get it here.

jdc
11-19-2005, 05:53 AM
Change is good. It keeps people on their toes. Great idea. It took me aback when I noticed it. LOL

Gemini-Phoenix
11-19-2005, 06:11 AM
Where do you draw the line at what is modern and what is classic? To me, anything before the PlayStation is classic, and the N64, Dreamcast and all the current and next gen consoles are classed as modern.

It makes sense though. After all, not all of us own NES's, and get bored of reading Mark III this, Famicom that... Likewise, fo rthe rest, tehy don't have to put up with filtering through pages of X360 and Revo stuff...

At any rate, it'll at least clear up the first page of each forum, as it tends to get full a bit quick. Now that load is shared between both

evildead2099
11-19-2005, 06:52 AM
I tried to make it as simple as possible, with PS2 being the cutoff point.

So we're setting 128-bit systems as the benchmark? What about the Sega Dreamcast?

digitalpress
11-19-2005, 08:24 AM
Does Dreamcast belong in the "Modern" forum? If not, boooo - it makes it seem like it's of a different generation.

Big boos for me then :)

The only reason I left it in the classic section is because all of the others are actively supported by their manufacturers. It seems easier to me to remember what goes where when you just think "is this a currently supported system?".

MrSmiley381
11-19-2005, 10:51 AM
Schwing!

Rockin' job. Your decisions are always just too good. What's next? Free money Mondays?

I wish. Anyway, this is definitely the right way to go.

Captain J
11-19-2005, 11:00 AM
i think the cutoff was perfect! great idea!

SoulBlazer
11-19-2005, 01:06 PM
I guess that means we're not going to see Dr. Mobius and a lot of other great posters in the Modern Gaming forum, then, since they are only interested in Classic stuff and I'm mostly into modern stuff. :(

Oh well, every change has it's drawbacks.

pacmanhat
11-19-2005, 01:12 PM
Didn't see this discussed anywhere else...is the 'modern' section going to need its own 'finds' thread? Or should I post my modern finds in the Classic section?

§ Gideon §
11-19-2005, 02:06 PM
Question for the administration: Can you allow users to link topics to both forums at their own discretion? (I see this from time to time when a topic is moved.) Anyway, I'm sure there (hhttp://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73728) are (http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=74413) plenty (http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73711) of (http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=74503) topics (http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=74167) that (http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=74442) could (http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=74386) go (http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=70489) either (http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73970) way (http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=68322). :D

Anyway, count me in the group that's happy to see this decision. I'll be reading both forums of course, but it's nice to have things organized.

Arqueologia_Digital
11-19-2005, 03:29 PM
Good idea. This new name identifies better the forum.

Cheers,

Matías

Gapporin
11-19-2005, 05:01 PM
I thought of another idea. I doesnt bother me too much either way, but is there a way to have a third forum that would automatically mix the other two? I am mostly interested in older stuff, but like to get news for the new stuff, and I tend to get it here.

Simply click on "View all posts since last visit" on the main page. These will put all the new topics from every forum in one simple list. Less clicking that way. :)

KingCobra
11-19-2005, 09:06 PM
I'm kinda new, though been lurking for years ;)

Sounds fine to me really, as IMO the DC was kinda the last arcade home console, though it wasen't that long ago, it fits right in with the retro old stuff.

PS2 and up is fine.

goatdan
11-19-2005, 11:41 PM

Just in general, I doubt it would be easy to implement, and harder to moderate because how would posts to the third thread get sorted? You would have to state "start a classic thread" or "start a modern thread" and the confusion would be high on that. It's a very good idea, but I think would take much more customization than I think anyone has time to do.

As I mentioned before, I'm really not a fan of this idea as I really only follow one forum per board I'm a member of. I have already come to the conclusion that I'm going to be spending most of my time on these boards on the modern sites, which is odd as my collection definitely centers in the classic era... but I have always come here to read interesting opinions about the stuff now classified as modern, and look at the rest when I see a topic that catches my interest. I probably won't actively watch the classic section because my main areas of interest -- Jaguar and Dreamcast -- I do a lot of posting about on other boards.

I'm getting used to the change, but it's definitely odd. Heh, in the long run, it'll probably save me some time, so I guess from that standpoint it's a good thing ;)

SkiDragon
11-20-2005, 12:50 AM
I was thinking that the "third list" would be read only. It would simply link to all the topics in the two "main" lists, and have no unique topics of its own, and would not allow topics to be posted. When clicking on a topic, one would in reality be redirected to the other list. I cant imagine how this would be too hard to implement.

8bitcrooner
11-20-2005, 01:42 AM
This is a great idea! Things will be so much more defined.

hydr0x
11-20-2005, 05:00 AM
thx, now all the stupid current gen battles won't annoy me anymore :D

drummy
11-20-2005, 08:38 AM
I didn't mind the Video Gaming forum, where it was both classic gaming and modern gaming in one place. It was convenient to see someone talking about about a NE Sgame or something, and then going to someone about the 360. That's my two cents.

kedawa
11-20-2005, 08:49 AM
I guess it's okay, although it knd of conflicts with the whole 'it doesn't have to be old to be a classic!' thing.

Where would we discuss new games for classic systems, compilations of classic games for modern systems, or series/genres that span the imaginary boundary seperating modern and classic?

Kim Possible
11-20-2005, 09:05 AM
Thank you.

Kim doesn't like wading through endless posts about modern systems and other bring stuff to find the good classic threads. Plus it will cut down on the amount of threads I have to wade through to find the modern discussions I am interested in.

I'm sure any of the minor confusions and conflicts that will arise will work themselves out.

Thank you,
Kim :love:

video_game_addict
11-20-2005, 10:18 AM
I like it split! 8-)

digitalpress
11-20-2005, 04:02 PM
I guess it's okay, although it knd of conflicts with the whole 'it doesn't have to be old to be a classic!' thing.

How does it conflict? We have the same charter as always. Only the location of the threads has changed.

Where would we discuss new games for classic systems, compilations of classic games for modern systems, or series/genres that span the imaginary boundary seperating modern and classic?

The split is really easy (PS2 and up, "modern"). If your discussion crosses that timeline then choose whichever forum you feel is more relevant. As I've stated before, those kinds of topics will stay wherever the poster starts 'em.

hbkprm
11-20-2005, 06:17 PM
nice, now we'll stand the test of time

Lothars
11-20-2005, 11:09 PM
It's a great decision Joe but It's definitly going to take alot of getting use to

I normally just have the two windows open but that's ok :)

I really like it makes it very nice and clean

Thanks again Joe

Austin
11-21-2005, 06:44 AM
I'm also a fan of the split forums. I'll be checking both, of course, but it's good to keep all the like posts together.

The Manimal
11-22-2005, 12:10 PM

Big boos for me then :)

The only reason I left it in the classic section is because all of the others are actively supported by their manufacturers. It seems easier to me to remember what goes where when you just think "is this a currently supported system?".

Ahhh

Then it should be explicitly stated :P

klausien
11-22-2005, 08:00 PM
Excellent idea, truly excellent, but the Weekday Finds topics are going to be all kinds of screwed up for a while, unless people split their finds!