PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 Faceplates: The new grails?

hezeuschrist
11-19-2005, 02:25 PM
I know there aren't that many Xbox collectors out there, but this new advent of interchangable faceplates for the 360 looks like it's going to create some frenzied collectors.

The E3 2005 Faceplate already goes for completely insane amounts of scratch on eBay. At the Xbox 360 Zero hour event, they're giving out Zero Hour limited faceplates. I can only imagine there will be an assload more of these things from special Microsoft functions, not to mention the readily available retail designs as well.

Anyone already planning to try and get their hands on copious amounts of Faceplates?

nik
11-19-2005, 04:23 PM
I'll stick to games, nice to know I can paint my faceplate though!

CosmicMonkey
11-19-2005, 07:39 PM
Japanese limited edition faceplates will be the ones to get. The Japanese love limited collectables, as seen with the vast amount of DC VMUs. Add to that the fact that the Japanese really don't have any love for the Xbox, and I reckon you'll have some very rare faceplates. And if they do decide they like the X360, that could make the faceplates even rarer.

There is the prospect of some very cool faceplates covered in anime designs to promote new TV/manga series. Should be quite interesting to watch.

Joker T
11-19-2005, 11:41 PM
The only one I can think that would be collectible would be the one Xbox official magazine gave away which was a limited edition E3 faceplate. You could win one for creating your own cover and sending it in.

jdc
11-20-2005, 06:11 AM
I can't see Joe Average caring much.

Collectors? You said it yourself.....everyone and their dog will be making aftermarket faceplates. There will be far too many to even bother collecting. Some will be rarer than others but to do a complete faceplate collection encompassing every "official" 360 product would be a pain.

MarkMan
11-20-2005, 07:48 AM
The E3 faceplate will definately stay rare... the funny thing is about it, it won't even fit on the retail 360s... lol.

Apossum
11-20-2005, 11:13 AM
I don't think I'll buy any of them (i think they are fairly tacky and $20 is too much) but I'm sure someone out there will be "that guy who collects 360 faceplates."

Joker T
11-20-2005, 11:16 AM
I am not a big fan of them. They kill the look of the console. They are expensive plastic skins LOL

Richter
11-20-2005, 11:26 AM
The E3 faceplate will definitely stay rare... the funny thing is about it, it won't even fit on the retail 360s... lol.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/majornelson/sets/1172633/

diskoboy
11-20-2005, 01:10 PM
Oh damn. I (I'm sure all current xbox owners got this email as well) got invited to that zero hour event. And if I didn't have to work, my ass would've been there. That sucks.

I'm probably gonna start collecting the official microsoft faceplates. But the only one I've seen is the brushed silver one. Can't wait until they make a totally transparent one.

Oobgarm
11-20-2005, 11:26 PM
I've seen brushed silver and woodgrain plates around here. I can most certainly see some of these things being collectable, but I don't think anything non-official isn't going to be as much so.

Kejoriv
11-21-2005, 10:07 AM
I will stick to the games also. $20 for a faceplate is ridicolous in my opinion.

Ed Oscuro
11-21-2005, 10:45 AM
Hmm, I'll be on the lookout for these. Can't imagine myself spending money for these right now, but I'll definitely be watching for the rare ones :-P

Lothars
11-21-2005, 01:12 PM
I would have never guessed that xbox faceplates are gonna be worth anything but I can see why it would be looking at it

very strange something i wouldn't want to pay money for depending i guess.