PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL XBOX 360 Camping / Launch Day Stories (renamed)

PDorr3
11-20-2005, 10:06 PM
This is the thread to share your stories on your camp for the XBOX 360 as well as your story on how you got it etc. I know some people are ALREADY camping stores such as Best Buy. I myself am going to Target tuesday morning at 3AM to hopefuly get my system at the 8AM opening. I will have plenty to tell hopefuly when I get back. Anyone else camping it tomorrow?

The gear I'm bringing:

Nintendo DS & Games
PSP (If I can find my charger)
Portable DVD player and the lord of the rings return of the king
Warm clothes (includes trench coat)
Cellphone
Some magazines

(Edit: I renamed the topic to make it the official 360 launch thread -- great idea Pdorr! -Flack)

njiska
11-20-2005, 10:41 PM
Good luck in your hunt. I myself will simply be walking into a store at midnight tomorrow to pick up mine, but hey to each there own.

Goodluck keeping your systems powered.

PDorr3
11-20-2005, 11:08 PM
My friend just spoke to me and said he was at best buy today and people had 2 tents set up outside the store for the 360 launch. So this is a heads up for people who plan on going to best buy, check your store tomorrow and see just hpw many people are camping there and then judge accordingly after that.

exit
11-20-2005, 11:18 PM
The Wal-Mart I work at said they aren't going to release them until 7am, despite the newspaper saying Midnight. There are going to be very unhappy people that night.

Anexanhume
11-20-2005, 11:44 PM
My local wal mart released our xbox's at midnight when I wa there. Sadly, money shortages bar me from reliving that experience again this time around. Next time I'll be out of college and too old to do that sort of thing. :(

hezeuschrist
11-21-2005, 07:30 AM
I plan on heading to Meijer sometime this afternoon to start the haul. I work early mornings (at work now), and have to get up at 4am... so I get out at 2pm and get to take a nap from 3-5 or 6 hopefully. I'll call right when I get out of work and see if anyone is lined up yet. If theres a bunch of people already i'll just try my luck during lunch tomorrow. I work in Detroit and there are a bunch of Kmarts around here, I can't imagine them getting too much traffic.

THATinkjar
11-21-2005, 08:15 AM
The gear I'm bringing:

Nintendo DS & Games
Cellphone
Some magazines

My first thought was... do you really need an Xbox 360? My second thought was... don't fall asleep for one moment! My third thought was similiar to my first.

Good luck in your camping though :)

jdc
11-21-2005, 08:28 AM
Why camp?

You'll be able to get one easily. They aren't backwards compatible. That's enough to keep Joe Walmart out of the mix. Even preorder wasn't necessary. Our local game shop asked me which one I wanted....yesterday. I could have been playing it this morning. They were shocked when I told them "no thanks", since they know that I love my Xbox.

*wags finger* "Not til Elderscrolls" LOL

Apossum
11-21-2005, 08:40 AM
Why camp?

You'll be able to get one easily. They aren't backwards compatible. That's enough to keep Joe Walmart out of the mix. Even preorder wasn't necessary. Our local game shop asked me which one I wanted....yesterday. I could have been playing it this morning. They were shocked when I told them "no thanks", since they know that I love my Xbox.

*wags finger* "Not til Elderscrolls" LOL

erm....it is backwards compatible.

anyway, I'm going to call Wal-mart to see how many they are getting in and if they are doing a midnight launch. if they're aren't getting much, then I'll be in line at Best buy tomorrow at 6 A.M.

yok-dfa
11-21-2005, 09:10 AM
erm....it is backwards compatible.
Erm, no it isn't. Some titles are emulated in software, but i wouldn't call that backwards compatible...

Kejoriv
11-21-2005, 09:14 AM
Im going to Target at 4am on Tuesday morning. It opens up at 8am. The store is getting 30 systems of each. Wish me luck. Its suppose to be cold and rainy :(

ClubNinja
11-21-2005, 10:57 AM
Why camp?

To get one "first". To make an event out of it. System launches are a lot like tailgating parties for gaming geeks. I have tomorrow off and could definitely do this camping out deal, but I'm unfortunately not interested in the system. I wish I had camped out for the Dreamcast though, but I was too lazy and just picked one up about a week after launch.

Jibbajaba
11-21-2005, 11:28 AM
Why camp?

To get one "first". To make an event out of it. System launches are a lot like tailgating parties for gaming geeks. I have tomorrow off and could definitely do this camping out deal, but I'm unfortunately not interested in the system. I wish I had camped out for the Dreamcast though, but I was too lazy and just picked one up about a week after launch.

I camped out for the PS2 launch, and it definitely made it a cooler experience than just waiting. OF course, Sony fucked up the PS2 launch so bad that if I hadn't have camped out, I would have had to wait until after Christmas that year. But anyway, camping out for a system is just a fun thing to do.

Chris

marcus12024
11-21-2005, 12:09 PM
I enjoy being in a very small Canadian city at times like these. When Dreamcast was released, I walked into Microplay after my afternoon classes on launch day and picked up a system w/Soul Calibur. No reservations/pre-orders/etc.

I did the same with my N64 and GameCube. I'll check tomorrow about 360, but I won't be buying one. I'm guessing I could make a good chunk of change by ebaying several systems, since there'll be a ton that don't sell.

devils advocate
11-21-2005, 02:50 PM
I enjoy being in a very small Canadian city at times like these. When Dreamcast was released, I walked into Microplay after my afternoon classes on launch day and picked up a system w/Soul Calibur. No reservations/pre-orders/etc.

I did the same with my N64 and GameCube. I'll check tomorrow about 360, but I won't be buying one. I'm guessing I could make a good chunk of change by ebaying several systems, since there'll be a ton that don't sell.

Well Marcus,
It could be different this time. Since people are already camping out in Winnipeg, and places like Future Shop here have already pre sold most of their consoles, I already know of a few who are going to Brandon with that idea in mind. I think it's 50 or so allotted there.

orrimarrko
11-21-2005, 03:03 PM
I may have missed something here, and I'm not trying to de-rail the thread (honestly), but since it was mentioned...

(Serious question)

It was mentioned that the XBOX 360 was not backwards compatible.

Are you saying that the XBOX 360 will not play the XBOX discs?

I know that typically that is what's implied by "backwards compatible", so this may seem like a stupid question.

However, I'm completely shocked if it's accurate.

Anyone?

Thanks,
Orri-

Drexel923
11-21-2005, 03:12 PM
I may have missed something here, and I'm not trying to de-rail the thread (honestly), but since it was mentioned...

(Serious question)

It was mentioned that the XBOX 360 was not backwards compatible.

Are you saying that the XBOX 360 will not play the XBOX discs?

I know that typically that is what's implied by "backwards compatible", so this may seem like a stupid question.

However, I'm completely shocked if it's accurate.

Anyone?

Thanks,
Orri-

The Xbox 360 will only play a select number of original Xbox games. Here's a list:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm

It may or not improve over time.

So technically, the Xbox 360 is backwards compatible...just not fully.

As to the camping out being fun thing...I did it for the Gamecube launch with my 3 college roomates and we had a blast.

hezeuschrist
11-21-2005, 07:00 PM
The Xbox 360 will only play a select number of original Xbox games. Here's a list:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm

It may or not improve over time.

It will improve overtime, and at a very rapid rate.

And I'd like to turn this into the "It's only 7pm but I'm already dicked out of a 360 at launch" thread. Why? Because I have a decent work ethic and refuse to call in to work tomorrow to snag a console. I work from 6am to 2pm in Detroit.

Here's the situation in my area, not including the obviously backordered to hell GameStop, EB, etc.

Best Buy - About 8 billion within a half mile of me. All open at 9am, screwed.

Meijer - Only getting 10 systems each, only 4 Premiums. Premiums camped out since 10am, and this was one of the most pathetic things I've seen. How many 20-something people? None. All parents that took the day off work to camp the damn thing for christmas. Great, you love your kid, but do your job for christs sake. Even MORE pathetic? One parent had his 10 year old kid there. It's Tuesday, and last I checked "Day Before Xbox360 Launch" wasn't an official holiday.

Wal-Mart - No 24 hour stores anywhere near me. Screwed.

K-Mart: Not even getting the damn thing.

Target: Opening at regular hours, far past 6am... Screwed.

Now, I'll be able to snag a Core from my GameRush store... but what good will it do me? We have no HD's or Component Cables, and I'm not too keen on ordering that crap online so it MIGHT show up in 2 weeks. Oh, and I just called my store. We didn't even get the [censored] Cores IN. Day before launch, no systems. ABSURD.

So what now?

MarkMan
11-21-2005, 07:51 PM
Live from a Best Buy line in San Diego, California.

I lined up at 2 PM and they won't start selling them til 9 AM tomorrow. Its all good though I have about 10 friends here waiting in line as well and keeping me company.

Good stuff.

hezeuschrist
11-21-2005, 07:54 PM
Any word on them forcing bundles?

buttasuperb
11-21-2005, 07:55 PM
I think my best bet is gonna be Target. I called the closest one to my house, they said they are handing out tickets at 7am and opening at 8. They also said there's no one lined up yet. The other closest target said they are just doing first come first served at 8am and people are already lining up.

Best Buy is just gonna be nuts I think, I'm not even gonna try there.

I dunno, maybe TRU would be a decent option.

I really don't know why I need to get one of these things right now, but I do...

edit: and it seems Walmart decided to take their phones off the hook, since both of them around here is just a busy signal, haha.

Living in a busy area makes this all the more tough.

edit2: got through to walmart, they only have 10 core and 4 premium and aren't sellin till 7am tomorrow, giving out numbers at 6. damn that's some low numbers.

Joker T
11-21-2005, 07:59 PM
This is the thread to share your stories on your camp for the XBOX 360 as well as your story on how you got it etc. I know some people are ALREADY camping stores such as Best Buy. I myself am going to Target tuesday morning at 3AM to hopefuly get my system at the 8AM opening. I will have plenty to tell hopefuly when I get back. Anyone else camping it tomorrow?

The gear I'm bringing:

Nintendo DS & Games
Cellphone
Some magazines

Good luck Getting the 360 what games are you getting?

SlayerX
11-21-2005, 08:09 PM
At work today, I think we got 8 or 9 in. Apparantly 30 people asked home electronics about them, and its first come first serve basis. If I wanted one, and had the money, I could go in there early and buy them all, just to piss people off, but yeah. <10 consoles for >30 people = >20 angry customers LOL Unfortunatly I have to work at 10am tomorrow, and the store opens at 9, so ill have to hear bitching and moaning all day tomorrow

ManciGames
11-21-2005, 09:13 PM
I've never seen a launch quite this nuts. I thought PS2 was bad...

I went by the local Wal-Mart after work. They had 20 units and 24 people in line at 5:30.

So, I called a Wal-Mart out in BFE. I mean, this place is really in the stix. So, the lady says they have 10 units and 12 people in line.

Drove by a Best Buy. Already a line forming for 9 tomorrow.

Is it just me, or are people going a little crazy with this thing?

Post your launch madness reports here. Share in the nuttiness!

diskoboy
11-21-2005, 09:30 PM
DAMMIT!! I got the call this afternoon I was dreading.

"....Your 360 will be with eihter the third or fourth shipments, somewhat close to the middle of December."

I would go camping tonight, if A.) I didn't have to work tomorrow. B.)I didn't already put $150 down on my system already.

I'm surprisingly dealing with this quite well. I just cant bare to watch G4 tonight. With any luck, the Wal-Mart by where I work will still have one in around lunch tomorrow. It's in a really poor part of town.

Wish me luck - I'll need it.

pacmanhat
11-21-2005, 09:39 PM
I feel really, really lucky right now...

I called the GameCrazy I had it reserved at, who seemed somewhat despaired at their horrible lack of shipment (4 systems, 50 reserves). He said that he just had someone claim his last core system, but there was a guy at another store nearby who had extra Cores and owed him a favor.

To make a long story short, this particular GameCrazy employee personally took my reserve money, brought it to the other store himself, and arranged the entire thing so I could get one at launch. A Core System obviously isn't my first choice, but there's very little in the bundle besides the hard drive that I really wanted anyway. I picked up a HDD while I was out this afternoon (for some reason, it's rated "E"), and I'm set for midnight.

To summarize: I've encountered what might be the kindest game store employee ever.

Mr.FoodMonster
11-21-2005, 09:55 PM
Damn man, what a nice guy. Make sure you hook him up or tell his managers what a great guy he is.

Well, I was around tonight with no intention of getting a 360. I went into Gamestop and the kiosk they had in the back was running Quake 4, and had a pile of games next to it. Turned out, one of the guys bought a 360 and some games, busted out his games early, and started playing them because he had the key to the machine. I got to play some of that, and PD0. Once the place got some people in there, they put it back to how it was, but it was still cool. Also happened to be the two cool guys that I met last week working, so we talked for awhile. A security guard for the strip mall came in an was asking if they were staying open and if people would be camped out, because there were ALREADY people outside of best buy, and target at 7:30. Teh Crazies. So, I'm willing to bet my 3 friends that were on a quest for 360 arent going to come home happy. Although, another one of my friends has a great plan. Sam's club is getting a bunch in, and they didnt take reserves. Because they open at 8, they figured they couldn't get in until then. Wrong. The guy works for a business that has a biz account there, and you can go into the store an hour before it opens to the public. So, they are going to be in and out before the general public can be in there. I dont know what games they are getting in, but it must be something.

pacmanhat
11-21-2005, 10:11 PM
Damn man, what a nice guy. Make sure you hook him up or tell his managers what a great guy he is.

I'm pretty sure he is the manager. But I'm pretty sure I know where I'm gonna be buying all my new games from now on. :)

comrade
11-21-2005, 10:37 PM
My local walmart is a madhouse right now. I live in a small town. It isnt really so much of a small town, but a small area where few people live. Anyway, I went over with a couple of friends to check out how many people were there and what not. As soon as we get there a lady stops us and says, "are you here for the xbox 360?" So we say yes and she hands us a ticket and leads us back to customers service where we discover a line of about 75 people. This was insane, especially for my small town. It seemed like the line went on forever. So we knew right then we werent going to be picking up one of these bad boys tonight, but we decided to wait with a few other lucky friends before we headed out for the rest of the night. My friend said that he had been waiting since 6 a.m. this morning, and he wasnt even close to the front of the line. He also mentioned that the walmart was only getting 43 consoles in, 20 being premium and 23 being core. That seemed like a lot to me at the time, but then I realized that most of the people in line werent even going to be getting what they have been waiting so long for. So after we were there for a good two hours, just hanging out, a lady approaches my friend B.J. She says in a very nerveous voice, "the manager told me that you were the last person in line to recieve a premium package?" So, B.J. agrees and asks her what he can help her with. She then says, "well my boyfriend really wants one of these things, and im too late to get the one he wants. I have $675 to give you if you will wait in line until midnight, then buy the last premium package for me." I was stunned, how could anyone fork over that much money on such a new console? I just found it amazing. So, to cut to the end of the story, B.J. is now $675 richer and still waiting in line at wallyworld for someone elses xbox 360.

Oh, and im waiting for Christmas to pick mine up. I just thought I would add in my little x360 related story. :)

njiska
11-21-2005, 11:42 PM
I got it. Oh it's so sexy

hezeuschrist
11-22-2005, 05:10 AM

Excellent, so you must have been in the first five.

Unfortunately, I wasn't in the first anything. Already sold out wall to wall here. Completely boned, and my store didn't even get the Cores in yet :(

esquire
11-22-2005, 06:49 AM
Well, I went to my local Target around 4 am, and there were around 15 people in line. Someone told me that they only had 9 units - 3 premium and 6 core, but they might be getting more by morning. I decided to stick it out, and it paid off. I was lucky number 13 in line and got the second from last unit, albeit a core system. They ended up having 2 premiums and 12 cores. At about 6:20 am, the manager came out and gave away all the tickets for the systems so we could leave and come back after 8 am opening time. (It was freezing here in Michigan, and it didn't help that I had drank a large Tim Horton's Coffee before standing in line).

Anyways, in addition to the ticket for the system, everyone (regardless of whether you were getting a system) got a coupon from Microsoft & Target to save $20 on a 3rd XBOX 360 title when you buy 2 others. Choices are: Madden, Tony Hawk, Gun, DOA4, Kameo, COD2, NFS Most Wanted, PDZ, King Kong and NBA Live. The coupon is only good for today. This works out as I want COD2, PDZ and Kameo. There is also a $10 off XBOX Live 12 month coupon ($69.99 - $10) when you buy a wireless controller for $49.99. Not that big of a deal.

All that being said, I think Target did things right. They didn't get a lot of systems like Best Buy, but they gave something back to the consumer ($20 off a game!) and let everyone go early, rather than keeping them standing in line until 8 am. Kudos to Target.

EDIT: Apply for a Target Credit Card and get 10% of all your purchases today. I did and saved another $58 of the system, extra controller and games.

GrandAmChandler
11-22-2005, 07:03 AM
I was stunned, how could anyone fork over that much money on such a new console? I just found it amazing. So, to cut to the end of the story, B.J. is now $675 richer and still waiting in line at wallyworld for someone elses xbox 360.

Did you see the PS2 launch? $300 systems going for almost 3 times the original amount. I expect far worse this year

njiska
11-22-2005, 10:27 AM

Excellent, so you must have been in the first five.

Unfortunately, I wasn't in the first anything. Already sold out wall to wall here. Completely boned, and my store didn't even get the Cores in yet :(

Well have a drink on me.

Actually the store i got it had had 10 premiums. I was the first one to walk out with one.

milhouseOFpain
11-22-2005, 11:21 AM
anyone that purchased a system at a Best Buy forced to buy a bundle?

blissfulnoise
11-22-2005, 11:34 AM
Lines formed at all outlets around me around 6:00 PM local.

I'll be damned if I'm going to go stand in the cold for 14 hours for a system without a single 5 star (or even 4 star) title.

That said, my wonderful mother in Tennessee did a walk in at the PX on Fort Campbell at opening and scored a Premium.

Merry Christmas!

drewbrim
11-22-2005, 12:30 PM
I just rolled into a toys r us in a shady part of town on my lunch break and walked out with a premium package. Hooray for comercially destitute areas!

Kejoriv
11-22-2005, 12:30 PM
I waited in line at Target in Danvers, Massachusetts. They received 14 total systems. 8 premium. 6 core. I got there at 4:15am and was the 11th in line. The first few people in line were there since 9pm. There were rumors that there were 9to 30 systems. No one really knew. At 7:15, 2 managers came out of the store and told us the total number. Then went down the line and handed out cards. One card was for premium, with a description, price and number and other card was for core. Needless to say the first 8 people received the premiums. The store opened up at 8, everyone was calm and nice, walked up to electronics counter and picked up the sytem with Need for Speed. I already ordered a premium thru Walmart.com, this is just to tie me over till I get it. Once, I get the premium, Im selling the core on Ebay or Craigslist.

s1lence
11-22-2005, 12:33 PM
anyone that purchased a system at a Best Buy forced to buy a bundle?

Nope, they did have bundles offered but you didnt need to get one.

I got mine this morning in Appleton Wisconsin. It was about 20 degrees with a nice single digit wind chill. I got there at about 5am. I was number 29 in line and the store was getting 40 of the good 360s. Met a couple cool guys in line, a couple people had tents and propane heaters too. I brought my DS to play but it was just too damn cold.

At about 7:30 they handed out numbered tickets for the systems so we could leave which was sweet cause I was hungry. Came back to the store at about 8:30, was let in the store at 8:45 and had my 360 in hand at about 9.

It was a good time as most system launches are, I just wish I lived someplace warmer. :D

shaggy
11-22-2005, 01:05 PM
Man!! You guys are nuts!! I'm not freezing my balls off in the freezing cold to get a system. On another note it would be kind of cool to be a part of the waiting in line festivities!!! Still not freezing my nuts off for something I can get months later in a warm store (and possibly at a reduced cost)! @_@

gepeto
11-22-2005, 01:06 PM
I held fast and said I wasn't going to do it but broke down last night at 3.00am. It was cold at least 40 degrees
and raining to boot. The in store spys had the

sale stock at 24 premiums 9 cores. I was number 16.
About 5:30am We suggested to hand out tickets to the people there to hold our spots. The number 24.

The female mgr arrived at 7.00am Circuit city opened at 10.00 the manager was clueless. No voucher system. people that were rejected at other stores started arriving from all over. Now 200 people for 33 systems. The mgr tried to play us by talking about first come first serve no voucher system. I said yeah your right , First come first serve not first one to bum rush the door. If that is the case I could have arrived at 10 minutes to 10.

Basically the 24 stuck together briefly and was like if
we get ours first or no one does. The situation was getting bad because people were there from 3:00pm yesterday.

The mgr call the police. The police sided with us 24 with tickets go in first. Then everybody else for the last 9 or so we thought. They started letting people in 5 at a time i was number 16. but I started noticing some people in the first coming out with 2 premiums. Totally f-cked up. It threw the count off. The store then decides to let 16-24 in.

they direct us to the table that was displayed in front with the games and accessories. I say where is the systems they say at the cashiers line. I look over 20-24 already bum rushed the cashiers line. I try to go over this guy is trying to sell accessories and holdin us up. I'm like let me get the systems first. I go to the cashier line I hear the stock tell the one that these were the last 4 I tell her our numbers is lower than the one she is ringing up therefore we should get one first. The cashier has an attitude she says get in her line she will guarentee one. She ran her mouth until the stock boy told her that is it.

All the time the higher numbers was throwing money at the cashier and getting the hell out with the system. The cashier goes to the other cashier takes the last premium one and rings me up. I am happy but I feel like shit because the 24 should have had a system.

number 1-15 should have said they were going to buy 2 if they were plannng to do it.

Some rich guy arrives at 8:00 sat in there hummer. Someone in the 1through 15 group
came out with an extra and slide it to them.
Totally outrageous.

Although it was fun. The ending left a bad taste in my mouth. I won't do it again.

Neil Koch
11-22-2005, 01:16 PM
Not really a big launch story, but I work at the Target headquarters and they have a bunch of 360's set up (along with those Midway cabinets and Flashback 2s) and I got some free promo stuff like mousepads, keychains and shirts...

Dobie
11-22-2005, 01:43 PM
Well here's my first, and hopefully last, camping experience...

I decided to camp out at a Fred Meyer's by my house. Rumor had it that they had ten total systems, 8 premiums, opening at 7:00 AM Tues. I decided to roll in about 6:00 PM Mon to scope things out, maybe grab some food and/or coffee, then go back home until 10:00 PM or so... that is until I saw three dudes already in line. As soon as I saw them, I went to my car and grabbed my chair, and sat down with them. 13 hours before the purchase time. @_@

The store was totally cool, letting us stay inside the cart recieving area, and the four of us played board games and cards as the line slowly got bigger. I sent pics of my indoor camping spot to my friends freezing their butts off at other locations. By 11:00 PM, there were 8 of us. There was some debate by the employees whether or not they should let us stay inside the cart area (with the warmth of heaters) the whole night, but the manager said no. So, outside to the sub freezing temperatures we went.

As the night went on, and things got colder, people kept driving up to us, wanting to get in line. We'd tell them there were ten systems, but only 8 premiums that we knew of, and they'd keep on driving. At about 2:00 AM a 65 year-old grandmother got in line. She was a hoot! Real energetic, and just a great lady. About an hour after her, another gal, probably 30 or so got in line for the last system.

The group of ten was real friendly, everybody knew who got there when, so we just kind of huddled in a circle, talking and taking turns in the warmth of cars. As 6:00 AM rolled around, we all packed up our stuff, and got in an actual line, because a bunch of stragglers started showing up hoping to land a system. When tickets came out, sure enough, there were 8 premiums and 2 core. The two ladys ended up with the core systems, and were a bit dissapointed, but I think they were happy just to land SOMETHING, after the hordes of people at other places were leaving emptyhanded.

It was a totally cool experience overall. I'm freaking tired, and haven't slept in 30+ hours, but it was totally worth it. Plus, the grandmother found a coupon as we walked in that said if we spent $100, we got a free turkey! So we all grabbed a coupon and left with a 20 lb turkey to boot! How's that for a launch-day promotion? LOL

ManciGames
11-22-2005, 01:52 PM
Well, here we are. The craziest launch I've ever witnessed...

Got to Target at 4:30. 50 people in line for 40 units. Went to Best Buy. 100 people in line for 65 units. And again, it's like 4:30 in the a.m., with sleet, wind, and rain...

So, I went to Toys R Us at 4:45, was 13th in line, and figured I had myself in a good position. The store people wouldn't tell us how many units they had, so we all just sat there. I started a list of names of all the people in line so that bums couldn't come late and work their way up front. At about 6:30, I actually forced the outer doors open and made a guy come out and talk to us. I explained to him that we were out in the cold and rain, and that all we wanted to know was how many there were so that we could go home if there weren't enough. Told us that he didn't know how many there were. Idiots... Rumor goes around that there are only 8. I find that hard to believe and hold out till 7:30, when a guy finally comes out and says they got 16 (great! I think...), but that they did 8 pre-orders last week, so there are only 8 left. I immediately called bullshit as I knew that they did not do a pre-order program. The employees obviously poached those 8 systems. There has to be some kind of rule against that, wouldn't ya think?

Anyway, me and a guy I met up with in the line went to the local mall, went past a group of 10 guys waiting at the main entrance, and snuck in a construction entrance. Sat down as number 1 and 2 in line in front of FYE. At 8:30, the manager comes and tells us that all they have are pre-orders. Friggin' eh... So, I went to work. Tired as hell, and with nothing to show for it.

The irony of it all is this: I checked my Best Buy Online pre-order and it said that it was delivered to my babysitter this morning. Hilarious. I'm happy, but pissed at the same time.

dcescott
11-22-2005, 01:57 PM
I dare not to meddle with the hardcore on launch day. Considering I am fighting a cold/sore throat and I still have to work or it piles up on me.
I did see a handful of folks camped outside Gamestop here in North of Fort Worth. It looks like they pulled out a HD TV and was gaming right on the sidewalk. The store front is on a corner of a strip mall across the street from WalMart.
It was about 10pm monday night when I saw this. 40 degrees F, and they are thumbing away at a game. My thoughts are they pulled out the demo xbox 360 thing right outside the door and had a field day. There was approx 7-12 people there.

GameSlaveGaz
11-22-2005, 03:20 PM
Well, here we are. The craziest launch I've ever witnessed...

Got to Target at 4:30. 50 people in line for 40 units. Went to Best Buy. 100 people in line for 65 units. And again, it's like 4:30 in the a.m., with sleet, wind, and rain...

So, I went to Toys R Us at 4:45, was 13th in line, and figured I had myself in a good position. The store people wouldn't tell us how many units they had, so we all just sat there. I started a list of names of all the people in line so that bums couldn't come late and work their way up front. At about 6:30, I actually forced the outer doors open and made a guy come out and talk to us. I explained to him that we were out in the cold and rain, and that all we wanted to know was how many there were so that we could go home if there weren't enough. Told us that he didn't know how many there were. Idiots... Rumor goes around that there are only 8. I find that hard to believe and hold out till 7:30, when a guy finally comes out and says they got 16 (great! I think...), but that they did 8 pre-orders last week, so there are only 8 left. I immediately called bullshit as I knew that they did not do a pre-order program. The employees obviously poached those 8 systems. There has to be some kind of rule against that, wouldn't ya think?

Anyway, me and a guy I met up with in the line went to the local mall, went past a group of 10 guys waiting at the main entrance, and snuck in a construction entrance. Sat down as number 1 and 2 in line in front of FYE. At 8:30, the manager comes and tells us that all they have are pre-orders. Friggin' eh... So, I went to work. Tired as hell, and with nothing to show for it.

The irony of it all is this: I checked my Best Buy Online pre-order and it said that it was delivered to my babysitter this morning. Hilarious. I'm happy, but pissed at the same time.

Toys R Us did end up doing pre-orders at nearly the last minute. Normally, we don't because we aren't guaranteed the proper number of units, but 3-4 weeks ago, an email came down from corporate allotting very small numbers of presells per store. My store was allowed to presell 12. Some only 8, some 16. We got 22 consoles in, so after the presells we had 10 (6 premium, 4 core) left to sell to the public.
There was one guy who started camping at noon yesterday. When I walked into work at 530 he was sitting there in a lawn chair w/blankets and my ex-boyfriend from middle school was keeping him company. (small world, eh?) Anyway, my ex wasn't staying. When I got out of work at 1030, there were 3 people out there, and they ran and hid in their cars because someone drove by and egged them. I am so glad I don't work Tuesdays.
My boyfriend's GameStop didn't even get enough to cover pre-orders. People can only pick up their consoles by invitation only. I'm glad I don't work at GameStop. I know how pissed off some people are gonna be.
People in Medford, MA are going crazy for the 360. I still had customers begging and pleading to preorder last minute. LOL.

Congrats to all the people who successfully got one on launch, and all the power to you if you did something crazy.

gepeto
11-22-2005, 03:42 PM
What happened?

I preorder a 360 at gamecrazy I pay it off.

234.00 debit. 50.00 credit cards rest in store credit trade ins.

The Gamecrazy mgr tells me I won't get one at launch and tells me there is no sure date of when I am going to get one but I am on the next shipment.

I get caught up in the hype I stand in line for 8.0hrs to get a 360 at circuit city I get one.

I decided to go to gamecrazy to buy some games and accessories. and get my 234.00 that was on my debit card credited to my account. The clerks calls the manager the manager says the can't refund a deposit. Some crap about waiting for my preorder to come in and waiting for them to sell it.

I think this is total bullcrap. I understand trade in credit but why can't you recredit a debit card? Now I have a preorder system a system and no games. I didn't want to use my store credit until I talked with the mgr face to face.
i know my wife is gonna kill me. She thinks some money is going to credited. I can justify a system and some games not $800.00-900.00 just out there. I have never meet a store that cannot somehow refund a deposit How can you hijack someones money like that? Is it legal?

GrandAmChandler
11-22-2005, 04:16 PM
Thats bullshit. I'd head back there, speak to the manager in person, if not contact the district manager & then corporate ASAP. Threaten to get people fired. Take everyone's name down & their position title.

As long as your card has a visa or mastercard symbol on it, is should be able to be refunded, no problem. May take a couple days to show up, but it can be done.

Me thinks the manager doesn't want all these preorders refunded, having his sales goal NOT MET for the week, due to returns / refunds.

You better head back there ASAP and do something about this. That is too much money to be wasted.

RCM
11-22-2005, 04:36 PM
That totally sucks. Raise some hell, call corporate HQ. Fucking bastards. I barely buy from Gamestop or Gamecrazy. I hate that they sell used games and all sales go to them as opposed to going back to the developer. Piracy is a problem and so is GS and GC.

If you end up being forced to buy the system boycott the store and sell the system on ebay. I'm sure you'll make your money back if the system is indeed in such short supply.

Slipdeath
11-22-2005, 05:34 PM
So I arrived at walmart around 4:30 or so to find a line of about fifteen people. They had said that they had 18 systems. After waiting for a while a manager came out and said they had 12 core and 6 premium. This was around 6:15.

I decided not to waste my time so I headed straight to Costco and saw some huge lines at Circuit City, Best Buy, and Compusa on the way. When I got there, there were three people there. Soon after and employee came out and pointed at the sign that said they only had 24 bundles and no one could camp. They decided that they would start passing out tickets at nine to do a random drawing at 10:30. I actually ended up getting my ticket around 8.

So to waste some time I decided to head to Sears. There were about 14 people in line. I found out that their shipment did not come in and they were taking down names. So I wrote my name and cell number. After that I decided to walk around the mall and get some breakfast and Jack in the Crack. I came back to Costco around 9:15 to find 70 people or so waiting.

By 10:25 there was over 200 names in the drawing (you needed a Costco card to enter). After the 10th person I just sat down and put my head down. I almost shat myself when they called me up (I was #12). The bundle came out to 517 with tax. It had a premium system, an extra wireless control, play and charge kit, and kameo. Not bad if you ask me. :D

milhouseOFpain
11-22-2005, 05:52 PM
7pm arrive at Best Buy

9pm Best Buys (fairview heights, il) tells customers they have to buy a bundle priced $180 over system price to get a 360

10pm we are now told that as long as we purchase $600 worth of 360 "stuff" we will be ok

12am new bundles options are given to us, these include an XBOX tote bag ($50) and a 2 year service plan ($50 which is 100% profit)

4am employees begin to hand out line tickets, i am told that if i continue to question their policy i will be refused service

5am me and 2 of my friends call 2 local news channels and tell them what is going on

530am news channel 4 shows up and interviews people. newcaster tells us what Best Buy is doing is illegal and tells us he will call attorney general

7am Best Buy customer service line opens. i am told Best Buy policy is not to force a customer to buy anything.

8am manager shows up having seen the news and starts to be a dick. "if you dont like the policy go buy a system on ebay for $1000"

830am manager back peddles and says that we can now once again buy whatever we want as long as it costs $600

9am i walk in and buy just the XBOX premium system and say that i am not buying anything else today and probably nothing more in the future (this is most likely not true). Manager oks my purchase gives me a free soda and a free $10 rewards program card for free

http://www.kmov.com/
here is the news channel that showed up, right now they have a 2 minute clip on the front page covering the story

heybtbm
11-22-2005, 06:04 PM
After reading the 360 launch day stories and hearing a few firsthand, a prediction:

Someone gets shot during the melee of the PS3 launch.

You heard it here first.

-hellvin-
11-22-2005, 06:05 PM
Well, I don't have a camping story but I was there to help out with the opening sale at my best buy. Since I merchandise media, I mainly just chilled and watched and got stuff out of the back when people needed it. The first guy in line had been there since 2pm the previous day. There were already too many people in line when I arrived and one of the managers would only let me unbundle 3 premiums and 5 cores.

After the place opened, they let in about 10 at a time and the unbundled systems were snatched up FAST. After that, they started ripping open the cheap bundles and selling just the system. After about ripping open 10 premiums, the GM came over and said no more. After that, only one guy got really pissed about it, most everyone else just bought bundles. Some people even snatched the 1,000 dollar bundles right up.

The one complaining guy was hilarious though. He was saying what bullshit the false advertising was, ect, ect and no matter what he said the GM would just say "This is all we have left." Ugh...BB is so fucking bastardish and greedy. The people there just make me sick. Of course two of the managers set aside systems for themselves. Oh well, whatever. If I even had a shot in hell of grabbing a system now, it would go straight the fuck to ebay with the prices it's racking up.

Guess I'll have to wait a year to play my old xbox games again =\.

Mattiekrome
11-22-2005, 06:07 PM
milhouseOFpain, wow man thats a shitty story. Hopefully they will be reprimanded for doing that. Hell, you might even get some free 360 st00f from it...

I dont have any 360 stories, except for my boss's son had a 360 preordered from Gamecrazy, and they called him earlier this week and said that he was #6 on the list, and they were only getting 4 systems in, so basically tough luck. But I've heard of this happeneing to several others, so no big news there...

Does this mean I can finally go to wal-mart and see the 360 in action for myself? or are they all still shut down?

-hellvin-
11-22-2005, 06:11 PM
Best Buy

Ya know, it's really not fair what they did to customers at all. Especially when you're on my side of the thing and see how they just took advantage of everything. Everyone well knew that they were obligated to sell 20 pro and 10 core just like the ad said, but blatantly refuse to let you buy the product.

It's a double edged sword though because you know some people in the line (not all, but some) are going to throw it right on ebay, just like the guy this morning who bitched and whined then returned every single accessory at customer service, lol. Even still, it's just a really low and dirty thing for BB to do and it's reasons like this I could never go back into sales for them. I'll sit around in the back and handle inventory, but that's it.

buttasuperb
11-22-2005, 07:23 PM
I went to Target about 630 this morning. About 5 minutes later, an employee comes out and says they have 32 systems and will count out the first 32 so people can go home or elsewhere to try and get a system. That was courteous.

Head over to Walmart, already sold out.

Go to Kmart, no one's there (a good or bad sign) A manager comes to the door and tells me they sold them already, despite the fact I was told on the phone they would not be on sale until 8am. Good stuff.

Head over to TRU, not too many people outside. As soon as I get out of my car, some dude walking back to his car tells me not to bother, they only have 9 systems.

Go to Best Buy around the corner, only a few people out there (again, a good or bad sign) Turns out they opened at midnight, despite the fact the local Best Buy ad said the Ford City BB would be the only one open at midnight. BB employee says they just didn't advertise it for that store. Nice.

Go to Sears right around another corner. There's about 5 people there. I ask them if Sears is supposed to get any systems. The answer, "Yea, four" Great.

Head over to Compusa for one last shot before work, and there's a sign on the door saying 360's are sold out.

FAIL.

diskoboy
11-22-2005, 07:47 PM
And I just wanna give a big "FUCK YOU!" to all those assholes who bought a 360 and put it up on eBay, immediately.

I hope you all get your nuts cut off, then get thrown into a pool of rubbing alcohol and salt.

And if you're retarted enough to buy one on eBay for even $1 over the retail price.... You're just an idiot. Plain and simple.

Ebay should make a policy that they won't accept auctions on new video game consoles until they have been on the market for at least a month. Becuase since the advent of eBay, every console launch from now on, will be like todays.

A chaotic mess.

PDorr3
11-22-2005, 08:06 PM
got to target at 3:30 AM and there were people with tents camping, there were 42 people on the list already and they were getting 44 in, so I said fuck it since I knew I wouldent be able to get a premium system. Went to sam's and there were 2 spots left but you had to be a fucking business member (not just a member but you gotta own a business) which I though was bullshit. I went to k mart and they were only getting 6 in and none left, and walmart was closed again by the time I got there. I didnt even try going to besy buy because I know there was really no chance there since I already saw 3 tents up the day before. Called PC Richards and no luck with that.
I will now be stalking all the stores and finding out when their next shipment comes in, and then Im going there a couple of hours before they open.

petewhitley
11-22-2005, 08:39 PM
It's really frustrating that Microsoft went for a worldwide launch; that's the main reason we're looking at too few systems for the demand (those conspiracy theories are complete bullshi*t). I would have gladly picked one up but I wasn't about to stand in line for any length of time to get one, or pay anything above retail. As such, I'll probably pick one up whenever I see one, and that's one less person that will be buying games for this thing in the month of November.

Sniderman
11-22-2005, 08:57 PM
And I just wanna give a big "FUCK YOU!" to all those assholes who bought a 360 and put it up on eBay, immediately.

LOL Yes, I'm laughing at you, for your sour grapes is amusing to me. It's like that for EVERY HOT TOY, ferchristsake. Remember the Tickle Me Elmo brouhau? Beanie Baby melees? For frack's sake, after every CGE, there are TONS of auctions for whatever new "exclusive" games were just released earlier that day. (I've heard some even race back to their rooms to post their auctions using their laptops.)

Saw this during the PS2 release (Anyone here remember the auctions for "a brand new PS2 box only?") and during the release of the first Xbox. Anyone who managed to get their hands on a system and able to find someone braindead enough to pay $1,000 for it on eBay - I salute them. 'Tis the American way.

Life is hard. Buy a helmet. LOL

kainemaxwell
11-22-2005, 09:20 PM
That Best Buy story sucks. At my store we had people calling us or asking us through the gate if we had 360's when we opened and what time did we open. Sold off our pre-orders we had throughout the day.

Tonight someone called my store yelling how his 360 died 5 minutes after he started playing it and demanded a refund or exchange. We told him we couldn't and told him to call Microsoft's warrenty number. After speaking too fast to understand he hung up.

Mr.FoodMonster
11-22-2005, 09:45 PM
After hearing all this, all I want to do is one thing.

Put a PS3 on reserve ASAP.

drewbrim
11-22-2005, 09:58 PM

LOL Yes, I'm laughing at you, for your sour grapes is amusing to me. It's like that for EVERY HOT TOY, ferchristsake. Remember the Tickle Me Elmo brouhau? Beanie Baby melees? For frack's sake, after every CGE, there are TONS of auctions for whatever new "exclusive" games were just released earlier that day. (I've heard some even race back to their rooms to post their auctions using their laptops.)

Saw this during the PS2 release (Anyone here remember the auctions for "a brand new PS2 box only?") and during the release of the first Xbox. Anyone who managed to get their hands on a system and able to find someone braindead enough to pay $1,000 for it on eBay - I salute them. 'Tis the American way.

I'm with Tim on this. I personally can't understand how anyone could keep one if they know how much some idiots are willing to pay for one on the bay. Keep it, for what? To be one of the first on your block to play it? Like you don't have anything else to play? Don't have enough to do this time of year? If you have a job you're probably busy, if you have a family you're definitely busy, if you're a student you're definitely supposed to be busy (studying and whatnot). So why not sell, net a grand, and grab one in Feb/March when they are readily available.

I was lucky enough to grab one and you better believe I'll be slangin' that shit like crack rocks in the next few days/weeks.

MarkMan
11-22-2005, 10:14 PM
I'll post pictures later... fun launch line at Best Buy in San Diego.

diskoboy
11-22-2005, 10:31 PM

Saw this during the PS2 release (Anyone here remember the auctions for "a brand new PS2 box only?") and during the release of the first Xbox. Anyone who managed to get their hands on a system and able to
find someone braindead enough to pay $1,000 for it on eBay - I salute them. 'Tis the American way.

I don't think it's fair since 95% of gamers are kids who normally have to use their parents' money in the first place.

So there was never a toy YOU wanted for christmas and couldn't find? I'm sure there was... Did your parents go on eBay to buy it $500 over retail? Probably not. They probably didn't think you were worth that much. So you like to piss off little kids because you're Mr. greedy son-of-a-bitch? More power to you. You know, there are times I'm desperate for cash, but I'll be damned if I upset a young kid who saved up for months to buy the machine when it came out. It's called a 'Job'. Fuck a bunch of ebay.

Again, Fuck you if you bought one just to turn around and sell it on ebay. I'm sick of watching these crying kids (and even some teens! - go figure.) on the news. And if you're one of them (even if you're a kid)... Again - Balls, Alcohol, salt.... I'd love to see it.

Me? I could care less. I get mine 2 weeks from today. I pre-ordered mine early. Maybe sooner if the shipments come at a steady pace. I'm not worried. It's you people with no fucking scruples...

Oh - and you may not care now... Wait until you have kids. See what your opinion is then when they start crying to you because some greedy SOB puts a normally affordable item your kid wants, on ebay.. Try telling your kid what you just told me.

Sniderman
11-22-2005, 10:52 PM
Wait until you have kids. See what your opinion is then when they start crying to you because some greedy SOB puts a normally affordable item your kid wants, on ebay.. Try telling your kid what you just told me.

Gladly.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/81/Verucasaltness.jpg
"But daddy, I want an Xbox360 NOOOOOOOWWWWWW....."

*Ahem*

No.

LOL LOL LOL

Joker T
11-22-2005, 11:01 PM
Yeah some of the kids are a bunch of spoiled assholes but whatever let them have their fun with it LOL

milhouseOFpain
11-22-2005, 11:05 PM
i was upset becuase the Best Buy said nothing about bundles (i checked all the fine print) and then when we got there they told us one thing and continued to flip flop the story for the next 12 hours ending our chance to get one anywhere else.

they can sell the 360 in a bundle with an El Camino and a pack of smokes for all i care as long as thats what they advertise/tell you when you get to the store.

dont blame ebay, dont blame the sellers, dont blame the stores. if someone is willing to pay double retail for something that is their right. thats what is great about our country, you have the right to remain stupid.

rick24890
11-22-2005, 11:10 PM
Kid starts crying cuz he doesn't get his 360 on Nov. 22? Smack him and tell him crying isn't gonna get him shit. If I bought one, you bet your sweet ass that sucker would be on eBay the second I reached a computer. 1000 on eBay- 400 for system = free system 3 weeks later + 200 in my pocket for spending the night on the concrete. Seriously, I think within 3 weeks you can find atleast 4 at every electronics store in your area. The price is gonna keep sane people from buying it after the next 2 shipments or so. I'd go so far as to say you'll probably find some sweet post-christmas packages. If you're droppin 400 on your kid you're spoiling them and that whining/crying noise you hear is your own fault. You buy anything they want as soon as they start crying? Now you see why people eBay shit, cuz it works, I would never spend more than a dime over retail on something that came out that day.

I would agree that sellin it is a d-bag move for that teen that has been saving for years for it, but 3 more weeks of waiting won't kill them. Hell, when I was a kid I had to wait for the first price break, waiting 3 weeks won't kill anyone.

Schenley
11-22-2005, 11:30 PM
I cannot believe people are freaking out over this. I just saw an auction on Ebay that went for over $10,000.

The world is going insane.

studvicious
11-22-2005, 11:37 PM
Wait until you have kids. See what your opinion is then when they start crying to you because some greedy SOB puts a normally affordable item your kid wants, on ebay.. Try telling your kid what you just told me.

back in the day my parents would've given me the big >> LOL if I had asked for a $400 game system. And I surely wouldn't have cried about it. That's life - not everyone has the change for the "affordable" 360.

Ninja Blacksox
11-22-2005, 11:57 PM
Anybody who DOESN'T sell his/her 360 on Ebay is a moron.

Seriously. You'll be able to find these things EVERYWHERE in January.

I'm with Sniderman.

Boo hoo to the rest of you.

-A Boy

undead455
11-23-2005, 12:03 AM
they can sell the 360 in a bundle with an El Camino and a pack of smokes for all i care

I would buy that bundle for sure if I saw it LOL

GrandAmChandler
11-23-2005, 02:09 AM
Mine is scheduled to come in the mail before Dec. 1st via walmart.com. If my order does not get cancelled, Is it going on Ebay? Damn right it is. It would be stupid not too. Like everyone else said, come superbowl time these will be everywhere!!! Hence I turn $400 into somewhere along the lines of $600-$1000, I have absolutely no issues in doing this. In fact, I even encourage it. It means that you have a decent grasp on basic economics, and you are using that knowledge to your advantage.

Things I do NOT encourage

Stampeding in stores to get a "hot" toy
Forcing bundles upon customers
Misleading customers in any way.

It's officially THE gift of the 2005 Holiday season.

Lothars
11-23-2005, 02:20 AM
After hearing all this, all I want to do is one thing.

Put a PS3 on reserve ASAP.

I agree fully at least that's what im doing
I probaly will get a 360 eventually

but definitly going to preorder the ps3

just not sure if i want to wait in line lol

it's all good though.

Oobgarm
11-23-2005, 02:32 AM
My fiancee Eternal Tune and I were going to get two of them from Game Crazy, but the whole shortage fiasco left us with the possibility not getting one in time for Christmas (as they're presents). So the decision was made to camp at Best Buy.

We got there at 5:30PM on the 21st to notice there were about 5 people already there. One dude had been there since 2PM. We set up our chairs and began the wait. We knew that there was a minimum of 20 systems, since the Sunday ad said so. A few more people showed up, friends of the people in front of us. We figured that since everyone in line still fell under the magic number of 20, it wan't a problem. Her parents stopped up to drop off some stuff for us, and noticed that the people a couple spots in front of us had brought a tent. A buddy of ours(goes by Jhikan on these here forums) came up around 7:30 just to hang out, and then decided to get Best Buy's financing so he could get a system too. Then, Tune's parents arrive with a newly-purchased tent for the three fo us. At that point, the line was still less than 20 people. Some folks even ordered pizza while waiting.

Best Buy employees came out and checked out the line, but none of them would disclose how many systems there actually were. The thread posted about how many each store would get told me that this particular location was getting 44 premiums and 12 cores, but we couldn't be for sure.

We stayed in the tent for the entire night, only hopping out when we heard commotion. There was a good amount of Zoo Keeper, Mario Kart DS, and Lumines to keep us occupied when we weren't trying to catch a few winks. A clever individual made a list of the people in line, so we knew who was where. I think a good portion of the line formed after midnight. At 5AM, a guy came out and told us that they would be giving out tickets at 6AM, and told us there were 42 premuims and 12 cores. A lot of people showed up close to 6AM, and the fellow keeping the list made sure that people got on the list as they showed up until the list was full. The list proved to be invaluable, as the Best Buy employee took the list and made it gold-he was going to follow that list to ensure that everyone who was on it would get one. We ended up being numbers 10, 11, and 12. One lady(a parent) bought the #4 guy's spot in line for $100. A couple of guys that showed up around 6AM tried to tell the BB employee that they were there all night and no one wrote their names down, but the guy basically told them they were out of luck.

At 6AM, they let three people inside at a time to place an order. Tickets were handed out, and we were told to return at 9AM so we could pick them up. They had set up tables inside the breezeway and placed all of the accessories and games on tables. They picthed upsells and addons, but did not force anything. I was able to order the premium system by itself, and she was able to get the premium system and Kameo. We then went to her house to warm up and nap, and came back at about 8:40 to get back in line to go inside. We got our stuff and made it out within ten minutes. The Bengals' kicker was there playing people at Madden for $15 donations to charity. We didn't hang out to see, we had completed our mission and wanted to go home and sleep.

It was a cold, drizzly, windy night. We avoided the wind and drizzle with the tent, but it was still really, really cold. Our feet were probably the bearer of the brunt of the temprature, as they were numb or close to it. I felt kinda bad for the people who only brought a sleeping bag. We got our systems, and we aren't sick from being out in the cold(not yet at least LOL), so that's all that matters.

A trip back to BB late in the evening showed that they sold out of Call of Duty 2, and that they had promo DVDs with coupons inside for $10 off games and accessories. Snagged a few of them for later purchases. ;)

Eternal Tune
11-23-2005, 09:04 AM
My fiancee Eternal Tune and I were going to get two of them from Game Crazy, but the whole shortage fiasco left us with the possibility not getting one in time for Christmas (as they're presents). So the decision was made to camp at Best Buy.

We got there at 5:30PM on the 21st to notice there were about 5 people already there. One dude had been there since 2PM. We set up our chairs and began the wait. We knew that there was a minimum of 20 systems, since the Sunday ad said so. A few more people showed up, friends of the people in front of us. We figured that since everyone in line still fell under the magic number of 20, it wan't a problem. Her parents stopped up to drop off some stuff for us, and noticed that the people a couple spots in front of us had brought a tent. A buddy of ours(goes by Jhikan on these here forums) came up around 7:30 just to hang out, and then decided to get Best Buy's financing so he could get a system too. Then, Tune's parents arrive with a newly-purchased tent for the three fo us. At that point, the line was still less than 20 people. Some folks even ordered pizza while waiting.

Best Buy employees came out and checked out the line, but none of them would disclose how many systems there actually were. The thread posted about how many each store would get told me that this particular location was getting 44 premiums and 12 cores, but we couldn't be for sure.

We stayed in the tent for the entire night, only hopping out when we heard commotion. There was a good amount of Zoo Keeper, Mario Kart DS, and Lumines to keep us occupied when we weren't trying to catch a few winks. A clever individual made a list of the people in line, so we knew who was where. I think a good portion of the line formed after midnight. At 5AM, a guy came out and told us that they would be giving out tickets at 6AM, and told us there were 42 premuims and 12 cores. A lot of people showed up close to 6AM, and the fellow keeping the list made sure that people got on the list as they showed up until the list was full. The list proved to be invaluable, as the Best Buy employee took the list and made it gold-he was going to follow that list to ensure that everyone who was on it would get one. We ended up being numbers 10, 11, and 12. One lady(a parent) bought the #4 guy's spot in line for $100. A couple of guys that showed up around 6AM tried to tell the BB employee that they were there all night and no one wrote their names down, but the guy basically told them they were out of luck.

At 6AM, they let three people inside at a time to place an order. Tickets were handed out, and we were told to return at 9AM so we could pick them up. They had set up tables inside the breezeway and placed all of the accessories and games on tables. They picthed upsells and addons, but did not force anything. I was able to order the premium system by itself, and she was able to get the premium system and Kameo. We then went to her house to warm up and nap, and came back at about 8:40 to get back in line to go inside. We got our stuff and made it out within ten minutes. The Bengals' kicker was there playing people at Madden for $15 donations to charity. We didn't hang out to see, we had completed our mission and wanted to go home and sleep.

It was a cold, drizzly, windy night. We avoided the wind and drizzle with the tent, but it was still really, really cold. Our feet were probably the bearer of the brunt of the temprature, as they were numb or close to it. I felt kinda bad for the people who only brought a sleeping bag. We got our systems, and we aren't sick from being out in the cold(not yet at least LOL), so that's all that matters.

A trip back to BB late in the evening showed that they sold out of Call of Duty 2, and that they had promo DVDs with coupons inside for $10 off games and accessories. Snagged a few of them for later purchases. ;)

Right now, I masturbating on both systems.

Anyways, being inside and NOT outside, I'd say it was a grand ol' time. So many hours ago, I'd say "damn you Microsoft, why the hell am I out here?"

The only thing I have to add is, Best Buy was giving out some promo stuff early on. I got a 360 pen and note pad. And finally people at GameCrazy suck. I fought all day with them to get my pre-order monies back. Gah!

Jibbajaba
11-23-2005, 11:09 AM
I found this listing on Craigslist this morning. I don't know wy I am putting it in this thread; I just didn't think it needed it's own thread.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/ele/113229926.html

Chris

esquire
11-23-2005, 09:39 PM
After reading the 360 launch day stories and hearing a few firsthand, a prediction:

You heard it here first.

It got pretty close to that with the XBOX 360 launch. As posted in the other thread that got locked:

Police restore peace after Md. shoppers war over Xbox 360 (http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051123/BIZ04/511230462&SearchID=73227377046092)

Also, I heard on the local radio and from the manager at my local EB that the Gamestop in Hamtramck, Michigan (a city/enclave in the middle of Detroit) was robbed during their midnight opening/launch. Apparently, the manager was tied up and all of the 360 consoles were stolen. It appears no one was hurt, but I imagine a gun or knife was used in the robbery. If I can find a link, I'll post that one too.

Yamazaki
11-24-2005, 08:23 AM
Lol! Crazy Americans!

I hope that will not happen here in Japan.

Does anyone remember how it was when the Xbox came out in Japan??

GrandAmChandler
11-24-2005, 09:40 AM

You heard it here first.

It got pretty close to that with the XBOX 360 launch. As posted in the other thread that got locked:

Police restore peace after Md. shoppers war over Xbox 360 (http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051123/BIZ04/511230462&SearchID=73227377046092)

Also, I heard on the local radio and from the manager at my local EB that the Gamestop in Hamtramck, Michigan (a city/enclave in the middle of Detroit) was robbed during their midnight opening/launch. Apparently, the manager was tied up and all of the 360 consoles were stolen. It appears no one was hurt, but I imagine a gun or knife was used in the robbery. If I can find a link, I'll post that one too.

HAHAHAHAH That is 45 minutes from me. I find it hilarious because Elkton has a bad reputation for being "hickish" So I can assure that the store manager MOST LIKELY wasn't the brightest crayon in the box ;)

What did he think was gonna happen? People were gonna march in line single file on a first come first serve basis? I hope he loses his job due to poor management decisions.

Mr.FoodMonster
11-24-2005, 11:27 AM
Yeah, I heard about that on the radio as well. A bunch of PSP's were stolen as well. I heard that they were tied up with a telephone cord, and that just adds humor to the situation.

MarkMan
11-24-2005, 01:09 PM
Here's some pictures from the XBOX 360 camp out in San Diego.

Chula Vista Best Buy to be exact... camped out at 2 PM on the 21st... until 9 AM the next day. Ended up taking slots 3-12 with my friends. We even set up a Tekken 5 tournament on the side lol.

http://static.flickr.com/24/66517263_3ffb15042f.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/30/66517264_c93f745feb.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/30/66517266_eabbf4c034.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/25/66517265_7d5dfa4c00.jpg

GameSlaveGaz
11-24-2005, 02:27 PM
Of all the bickering over the morality of selling new consoles on ebay for exorbitant sums only days after its launch reminds me of my boyfriend's get rich quick sceme. With all the hype over the 360, the hype over the PS3 will be identical if not more, so as soon as reserves are announced for it, he's going to reserve a console and a bunch of games and accessories, then once launch time comes around and people are crazily scrambling to get their hands on one, he's going to put his pre-order up for sale and watch the offers roll in. Sure it's pretty sneaky, but it's a great idea. It's the American way to turn a profit any way you can. I don't know why people are so upset about it. Stores do the same thing. Especially when a product is in high demand and they mark up the price because they know people will still buy it and they'll make even more money. It's also why there are never any sales or discounts on consoles, so that the companies can turn a profit, because the price they have to pay to buy consoles from the manufacturers isn't that much less than retail price. Retailers only make a buck or two off every console they sell. That's why we don't even get employee discounts (even though Toys R Us only gets a cheap, lame-ass 10%)

Can you really blame people for wanting to make money? Sometimes it's just plain greed and sometimes they really need the extra dough to get by, but making money is the American way, and you can complain all you want but it's never gonna change.

Yamazaki
11-24-2005, 08:29 PM
I mean I'm gonna try to get a PS3 directly here in Japan and sell it off on Ebay.

why not? you just fulfiil the people's demand.

SlayerX
11-24-2005, 08:42 PM
After reading all of the whining posts about kids crying because they didn't get a system, here's what i'm going to do at Revolution and PS3 launch. I'm going to go into work early (if I'm working or not), and I am going to buy however many systems I can afford. If I have $2000 in the bank, Ill spend $2000 on the released console. Just to piss off those kids, and give them a reason to cry. Ill buy all of the systems that my work has, I'll keep one, and put the rest up on ebay. Just to piss them off even more. 8-)

Yamazaki
11-25-2005, 02:13 AM
If they give you more then one.

When the Dreamcast sale started in Japan, a friend got one, but was not allowed to buy another one!

Six Switch
11-26-2005, 03:13 PM
Of all the bickering over the morality of selling new consoles on ebay for exorbitant sums only days after its launch reminds me of my boyfriend's get rich quick sceme. With all the hype over the 360, the hype over the PS3 will be identical if not more, so as soon as reserves are announced for it, he's going to reserve a console and a bunch of games and accessories, then once launch time comes around and people are crazily scrambling to get their hands on one, he's going to put his pre-order up for sale and watch the offers roll in. Sure it's pretty sneaky, but it's a great idea. It's the American way to turn a profit any way you can. I don't know why people are so upset about it. Stores do the same thing. Especially when a product is in high demand and they mark up the price because they know people will still buy it and they'll make even more money. It's also why there are never any sales or discounts on consoles, so that the companies can turn a profit, because the price they have to pay to buy consoles from the manufacturers isn't that much less than retail price. Retailers only make a buck or two off every console they sell. That's why we don't even get employee discounts (even though Toys R Us only gets a cheap, lame-ass 10%)

Can you really blame people for wanting to make money? Sometimes it's just plain greed and sometimes they really need the extra dough to get by, but making money is the American way, and you can complain all you want but it's

never gonna change.

your boyfriend is a genius.

i saw a few 360s yesterday,all cores though.

Yamazaki
11-27-2005, 09:24 AM
whats up with all these "dress up as santa"-auctions you see on Ebay?

linked to some cars or even houses for several million dollars???

pacmanhat
11-27-2005, 03:47 PM
Just found out that had I stuck w/ my original reserve and not picked up a core on launch, it'd be there for me in another week or so from now (probably, anyway). It made me wonder for a while if I should've held out...but I think I made the right choice. It's the same system, and that matters more than the extra junk that comes with it.

heybtbm
11-27-2005, 08:04 PM
It made me wonder for a while if I should've held out...but I think I made the right choice. It's the same system, and that matters more than the extra junk that comes with it.

Sounds like someone is trying to rationalize a bad impulse purchase. I wouldn't call the $100.00 HD and $50.00 wireless controller "junk".

I don't think anyone who bought a core this past week did so for any other reason than they had no choice. I can't imagine anyone passing up the $400 system for the $300 version.

Don't feel bad though, I'm sure every "Core" package buyer has been trying to convince themselves of the same thing all week.

PDorr3
11-28-2005, 01:18 AM
Im waiting for all of these rumors to come true for the next shipment. Many people are saying stores will get their next shipment in on tuesday because that would be 1 week from launch. I will be calling up stores monday night and tuesday morning to see if they got any shipments.

dojosky
12-01-2005, 06:14 AM
yeah i heard that there might be a shipment coming in on Friday and some other said the 16th of December but as you know it can be false information but keep on checking as I am since gamecrazy didnt guarantee my pre ordered system on launch date dammit :angry: ....Good luck !

PDorr3
12-05-2005, 11:51 PM
so who else here will be camping out at beat buy on the 17th/18th? Im getting there as early as I need to to make sure I get one. Hopefuly I can get one before then so I dont gotta wait out in the freezing cold.