PDA

View Full Version : Walmart is going to cause riots w/their 360 rules!

Ulticron
11-21-2005, 08:15 AM
I have the lovely misfortune of working at Walmart and I just found this out yesterday. They've decided to be a bit nazi like in their sales of the 360. First off if you're in line and you go to the bathroom, or leave it for any other reason you lose your place in line. Second you can't have anyone hold your place in line. Today the district manager is calling our store manager and everyother store manager in the district and will most likely be dumping off more rules.

I remember things being alot more civil at Walmart when the first XBox came out. Of course Walmart has gone from being pricks to outright jerkoffs these past few years. I remember the first XBox launch because I was working that night and I called dad from work an asked him to come down an sit in line and pick me up one. Everyone that came in time got a number and that was that, no fighting, no you're screwed if you get up to go to the bathroom.

Somehow I just see fights breaking out at Walmart because of this kinda stuff.

Whiskers the Wonder Cat
11-21-2005, 08:28 AM
It's like da Jingle All Da Way!

GET DA TURBO MAN DOOLL!

Whiskers the Wonder Cat
11-21-2005, 08:28 AM
*Double post

klausien
11-21-2005, 08:32 AM

Good. Maybe some of that d-bag sect of people known as career retail managers will learn a stern lesson. No offense meant to anyone who happens to work retail here (I have done plently of time at Funcoland, and had a very cool boss there), but you all know the kind of people I'm talking about. Take it out on the store not the customers, jerks.

There is no reason to do it this way other than posturing. I hate people like that.

Kejoriv
11-21-2005, 09:01 AM
Well that sucks, I went to the Walmart near my house. Its a pretty busy store. Spoke with the electronics manager there, they are getting 2 systems, one of each on launch day. Im really glad I asked and didnt wait in line at 5am on the 22nd. :)

johno590
11-21-2005, 09:14 AM
What are they going to have security guards standing next to the line?

Someone will put their foot out of the imaginary line, and one of the guards will be like "Sir, you're going to have to go to the back, I saw you're foot, it was clearly over the line."

Now I doubt they're going to be that strict, and they probably will bend the rules a little bit, unless the district manager will be there the whole time.

GET DA TURBO MAN DOOLL!

That movie is funny, I usually watch it around christmas time every year.

SlayerX
11-21-2005, 09:18 AM
That's what happens when you shop at Walmart, they close other business, supe up their stores, and run the marketplace...

If you didnt know, I am anti-walmart. I think i've bought 2 items there this past year. Couldve bought them elsewhere, but everywhere else was sold out.

Boycott Walmart, or screw over the industry... ;)

Whiskers the Wonder Cat
11-21-2005, 09:37 AM
There's K-Mart, and Wal-Mart.

I'm still waiting for O-Mart.

davidbrit2
11-21-2005, 10:01 AM
http://www2.gvsu.edu/~brittedg/temp/soupnazi.jpg

NO XBOX 360 FOR YOU. NEXT.

gepeto
11-21-2005, 10:28 AM
It is happening all over, the game stores I went to yesterday had people piss off wanting to get a refund on there large deposit so they can go camp out somewhere. A logistical nightmare. I was sad wacthing the managers go through the deposit receipts trying to figure out what was able to be refunded. Totally stressed. It is too time consuming.

Forget the ps2 launch this is the worst handling of a System launch I have ever seen. The game stores corperate management has left the store's crew to fend for themselves.

I have never seen so many people who paid for launch systems come away empty handed. I see no point of a midnight release stores staying open into the wee hours for what 20 sales. Every launch I been involved I at least the paid people got theres and the subsequent shippments were delayed.

I wish there was a way to make microsoft pay.
To make matter worse you see Paris Hilton walking with her xbox 360 probably free and she never put a dime in microsoft pocket buying games , live etc. I have never bought a game or system based on a star endorsing it.
It totally sucks.

Jibbajaba
11-21-2005, 10:31 AM
To make matter worse you see Bea Arthur walking with her xbox 360 probably free and she never put a dime in microsoft pocket buying games , live etc. I have never bought a game or system based on a star liking it.
It totally sucks.

Really? I bought my PSP based solely on the fact that it was endorsed by Rue MacLanahan, and I couldn't be happier. O_O

Chris

exit
11-21-2005, 01:38 PM
My store said they aren't going to release them until 7 a.m. despite Wal-Mart ads saying otherwise, I'm just glad I don't have to work tonight and have to be the one to tell people that. I remember the Midnight release of the Harry Potter book, people were crowding around them like vultures and that was for a god damn book. I can't even begin the imagine what will happen with the 360.

Snapple
11-21-2005, 01:40 PM

GET DA TURBO MAN DOOLL!

I'M NOT A PERVERT!

googlefest1
11-21-2005, 01:46 PM
i dont understand why people get so crasy over these things - what happend to patience

this is not a product release story but last year nov 25th (black friday) in CT there was a walmart (or best buy) that had thier door smashed open by an angry mob becasue they didnt open the door exactly at what ever the opening time was

chrisbid
11-21-2005, 02:28 PM
the district manager doesnt give a damn, its not like he is the one that will have to clean up the piss/shit left by customers that wont get out of line

hezeuschrist
11-21-2005, 02:59 PM
Insane. This is completely retarded.

K-Mart isn't even GETTING any, let alone lines for any of them or anything. My Gamerush store only got half of its Premiums which seems like a god send considering we didn't even get our Cores. I was going to buy a core but it seems they simply aren't making that many hard drives. They're sold out entirely on the web and aren't going to be in stores anytime soon either.

I can't imagine how much shit MS is going to take for this. The media will put a fucking smile on and say, "Oh, it's the new hot christmas item! haha, back to you Chuck" without actually pointing a finger at how horribly this is being handled.

Maybe it was a bit naieve of me to think I'd actually be able to find a premium, but camping out for 14 hours IN Meijer? Jesus, how are you going to eat, or go to the bathroom? One parent there had his child there since 10am... didn't the kid have school today? What the hell?

The Brown Eye
11-21-2005, 03:33 PM
I went to the EB Games in Menomonee Falls WI (which is right next to a Walmart) today at 2PM and there were already 9 people in line. It's not exactly warm out there right now, so that makes it all the more amusing!

-hellvin-
11-21-2005, 04:01 PM
This whole thing is just sad.

The worst store of all has to be mine:

BEST BUY

We got around 50 pro and 12 core and they BUNDLED EVERY SINGLE ONE. They increased the core price to almost 700 dollars adding in the harmony remote and hard drive among other things. The pro package they have anywhere from 800 - 1000. It's just rediculous seeing the amount of greed and bullshit they're just trying to shove down people's throats.

In the end, they'll pay for it anyhow. I garuntee people who only want the pro system will come RIGHT BACK and return all of the shit they threw in there and massacre the numbers for the store that day. Hey, it's there funeral. I've pretty much given up on buying one. Mostly, it's just too expensive, but if I had the oppurtunity, I'd probably still get one regardless, mostly because my old xbox died. With the amount of calls I've gotten today, it looks like there's going to be way more pandemonium over this than I really thought there ever was going to be. Unless I somehow get REALLY lucky, I highly doubt I'll find one ANYWHERE after getting off work tomorrow at 2pm. Should be interesting seeing a lot of pissed off people at 9am being forced to buy those dumb bundles.

gepeto
11-21-2005, 04:23 PM

BEST BUY

We got around 50 pro and 12 core and they BUNDLED EVERY SINGLE ONE. They increased the core price to almost 700 dollars adding in the harmony remote and hard drive among other things. The pro package they have anywhere from 800 - 1000. It's just rediculous seeing the amount of greed and bullshit they're just trying to shove down people's throats.

In the end, they'll pay for it anyhow. I garuntee people who only want the pro system will come RIGHT BACK and return all of the shit they threw in there and massacre the numbers for the store that day. Hey, it's there funeral. I've pretty much given up on buying one. Mostly, it's just too expensive, but if I had the oppurtunity, I'd probably still get one regardless, mostly because my old xbox died. With the amount of calls I've gotten today, it looks like there's going to be way more pandemonium over this than I really thought there ever was going to be. Unless I somehow get REALLY lucky, I highly doubt I'll find one ANYWHERE after getting off work tomorrow at 2pm. Should be interesting seeing a lot of pissed off people at 9am being forced to buy those dumb bundles.

Can they do that? the sunday add said nothing about a bundle pricing. Are they telling the people before they wait for hours?

captain nintendo
11-21-2005, 04:25 PM

BEST BUY

Your joking right? They bundled every single one :hmm:
Safe to say that I will not be checking there. :roll:

-hellvin-
11-21-2005, 05:43 PM

BEST BUY

Can they do that? the sunday add said nothing about a bundle pricing. Are they telling the people before they wait for hours?

Nope, they bundled them all, and the employees are blantantly lying about it on the phone, saying they have 20 pro and 10 core like the ad. False advertising and it's really irked me they're pulling bullshit like that. I would have bought the 400 system, a lot of accesories and several games but no: fuck all employees. I just hope they get mass returns for trying to give the shaft to the poor people who wait outside all night and find out they're being forced into a 800 purchase around 8am when they hand out tickets.

kevin_psx
11-21-2005, 05:45 PM
"Talking to voters reveals the flaw with pure democracy." - Winston Churchill - not an exact quote

I bet he was thinking of nutso Christmas shoppers when he said that! You have to be stupid to wait for hours to get an X360 - or PS2 - or Harry Potter book - or Cabbage Patch doll.

Christmas is supposed to be fun! What's fun about wasting 10 hours of your life sitting in front of a store??????

@_@

jcheatle
11-21-2005, 06:05 PM
There's K-Mart, and Wal-Mart.

I'm still waiting for O-Mart.

Not O-Mart, S-Mart. As in "Shop smart. Shop S-Mart." Heh.

Sometimes I'm glad I'm po' and don't have to worry about fighting crowds of insane parents.

Speaking of which, anybody ever seen any old videos of people fighting over Cabbage Patch Kids? I think I saw it on one of the VH1 80s specials. People with claw marks and gouges and kids getting run over. Just nuts.

Push Upstairs
11-21-2005, 06:46 PM
I read all this and all i can do is smile and yell "MERRY CHRISTMAS!" :D

I'm pretty unaffected by any of this as

A. I never buy a system at launch.
&
B. I'm getting an XBOX...not a 360.

Shit like this happens *EVERY SINGLE YEAR*. Something gets low #'s (PS2) or some toy is the hot item (remember Tickle me Elmo?)

All i can say is that i am very glad i don't work in a store that carries any game systems because i know for the next month the #1 question is going to be "Do you have any 360's?"

Let the excessive bidding on empty boxes begin!

Jibbajaba
11-21-2005, 07:39 PM

BEST BUY

Nope, they bundled them all, and the employees are blantantly lying about it on the phone, saying they have 20 pro and 10 core like the ad. False advertising and it's really irked me they're pulling bullshit like that. I would have bought the 400 system, a lot of accesories and several games but no: fuck all employees. I just hope they get mass returns for trying to give the shaft to the poor people who wait outside all night and find out they're being forced into a 800 purchase around 8am when they hand out tickets.

What i assume will happen is that the store will not let them return items from the bundle. The bundle may all be under one SKU, and you won't be able to return one thing without returning everything.

Chris

kedawa
11-21-2005, 08:01 PM
Boycott Walmart, or screw over the industry... ;)I have a better idea. Take advantage of every possible loophole in their return policy and screw walmart. Back when I was in college, I could make rent just by buying stuff and returning it.

DigitalSpace
11-21-2005, 08:39 PM
Makes me glad I wasn't planning on getting a 360 anytime soon. I still have a backlog on every other console I own.

Still, Wal-Mart's policy is nuts. Why couldn't they just use a damn numbering system? Jeez. And I'm not surprised to hear that stores are getting greedy with bundle purchase requirements too.

Despite the fact that I'm not getting one, I still wish good luck to anyone trying their luck tonight or later tormorrow.

-hellvin-
11-21-2005, 09:08 PM

BEST BUY

What i assume will happen is that the store will not let them return items from the bundle. The bundle may all be under one SKU, and you won't be able to return one thing without returning everything.

Chris

No. That's not how they bundle stuff there. All the bastards do is shrink wrap it together then print individual barcodes for each item using a telxon and stick it on the plastic. So they bring it up front, cashier scans all skus (some of them have almost 10 damn skus) and that's that. Unless they really pull something whorish outta their hat such as a "no return" policy, I think some, but not all will return lots of stuff.

zerohero
11-21-2005, 09:30 PM
I have the lovely misfortune of working at Walmart and I just found this out yesterday. They've decided to be a bit nazi like in their sales of the 360. First off if you're in line and you go to the bathroom, or leave it for any other reason you lose your place in line. Second you can't have anyone hold your place in line. Today the district manager is calling our store manager and everyother store manager in the district and will most likely be dumping off more rules.

I remember things being alot more civil at Walmart when the first XBox came out. Of course Walmart has gone from being pricks to outright jerkoffs these past few years. I remember the first XBox launch because I was working that night and I called dad from work an asked him to come down an sit in line and pick me up one. Everyone that came in time got a number and that was that, no fighting, no you're screwed if you get up to go to the bathroom.

Guess you guys will be holding your pee for a while....

rayearthknight
11-21-2005, 10:24 PM
The Wal-Mart here in Southaven has only 25 systems. There are sixty or so people camping out in a line that snakes out from layaway. I took one look at all of them and thought "you people are nuts." I didn't want to even think what time the first person in line got there.

Things are WORSE over at the local Circuit City. They won't open until 10 AM tomorrow and they have 13 systems: 5 premum and 8 cores. My comment to them: you are going to have a bloodbath.

Apparently, the system is out of stock on line at EB, Amazon and Gamestop. I don't know, I think there will a price war on Ebay starting in the next 40 minutes (EDT).

I still think this is a controlled "shortage"--you can't tell me otherwise. Micosoft, like Nintendo when the N64 came out, knows the demographics and how the system will sell. I mean..geez, the media is just praising the 360 like it's a new form of energy or something.

Don't quote me, but I'll bet we're gong to hear all about fights and thefts surrounding the release of the Xbox 360
Let's hear it for capitalism!

kainemaxwell
11-21-2005, 11:04 PM
Gah, work should be intresting having loads of people walking in for a 360 then...

zerohero
11-21-2005, 11:26 PM
Xbox 360 "Jump in"!

-hellvin-
11-22-2005, 12:30 AM
I can't even wait for the hostile morning tomorrow. It's gonna be an interesting 6am shift! Better get some caffine for the long haul ;D.

Nez
11-22-2005, 12:34 AM
I drove by the local (hellvins) BB on my way to work, yes I'm at work now. Even though BB doesn't open up till 8 there were quite a few at 10:30 pm along with 3 major news crews. Man do I feel sorry for those fools. I'm shure none are aware of this BS bundling.

neo-zen
11-22-2005, 01:33 AM
i sat in wal mart for 12 hours. (from 12 to 12)
i had a blast, alot of people has brought portable systems and we all linked up.
the wal mart i was at moved it from layaway to the mcdonalds.
so we had food and no one was fighting over spots in line.
the bad thing was i felt bad for all the kids that wanted the system and didnt get it.
they had 22 premium
and 26 cores
4 hard drives
and most of the controllers and stuff was already gone.
after we left the midnight launch we drove around all the stores to see the chaos.
it was crazy to see everyone camped out in this cold weather.
at least we had a place to stay warm and food.

Jasoco
11-22-2005, 01:46 AM
Insane. This is completely retarded.

K-Mart isn't even GETTING any, let alone lines for any of them or anything. Maybe YOURS isn't. MINE got over 2 dozen all together.

Thankfully I don't get the pleasure of working tomorrow morning. I go in at 4PM. By then they'll most likely be gone.. Well, we'll see.

The Manimal
11-22-2005, 12:40 PM

i'd just piss on the floor. the line will open up REAL quick :)

Truffle
11-22-2005, 01:39 PM
WOW!
I wanted to get my BF one for Christmas....but now im so happy I cant afford it.

Ill buy him a shit-load of XBox/ Sega Master System games instead :P

I would love to see some footage of people going insane for Furby/Elmo/ Cabbage Patch Kids/beany babies or any of that crap. I always found it funny reading the news the day after.
I remember an old woman biting a little kid for a Furby LOL

Doonzmore
11-22-2005, 02:20 PM
My advice:

Buy a Neo Geo instead.

Slate
11-22-2005, 02:48 PM
My local walmart got 18 360s in. 14 cores, 4 premiums. All sold out. Now, an employee DID say that 360s would be coming in everyday (And i hope they do!) But then, it's just a rumor.

joshnickerson
11-22-2005, 04:14 PM
The only system launch I ever attended was the Gamecube's, back in 2001. Since the Wal-Mart I was at was in a small town, there weren't too many people in line, and at about 10 o clock, they actually assigned us all numbers and just told us to come back around midnight.

But I can't see myself doing it again. I mean, I honestly don't mind waiting a few months to get a system anymore. And I certainly can't see myself getting into a fight over being one of the first.

Any word on how it went at your store, Ulticron?

drummy
11-22-2005, 05:06 PM

GET DA TURBO MAN DOOLL!
LOL That made me smile.

The Great Dane
11-22-2005, 06:08 PM
Geez, I can't wait to see what will happen at stores for the launch day of the PS3 O_O

kevin_psx
11-22-2005, 06:09 PM
Boycott Walmart, or screw over the industry... ;)I have a better idea. Take advantage of every possible loophole in their return policy and screw walmart. Back when I was in college, I could make rent just by buying stuff and returning it.

Don't Walmarts ban frequent returners?

poe
11-22-2005, 06:52 PM

BEST BUY

Chris

No. That's not how they bundle stuff there. All the bastards do is shrink wrap it together then print individual barcodes for each item using a telxon and stick it on the plastic. So they bring it up front, cashier scans all skus (some of them have almost 10 damn skus) and that's that. Unless they really pull something whorish outta their hat such as a "no return" policy, I think some, but not all will return lots of stuff.

Actually, corporate caught wind of this today and did one of their "URGENT:KNOCK THAT SHIT OFF" bulletins. By the sounds of it, just a few stores were doing that. Returns won't be a problem, considering both corporate's stance and the fact that some news outlets caught wind of that, too. Still not as bad as, I think it was Gamestop, bundling a 42" plasma with one of their packages.

Our store's launch went as painlessly as only having 32 Prems and 10 Cores could go. One guy walked in at 8:10 (we opened at 8), bitching because there weren't any consoles for him when we told people it would be first come first serve (which all went to people lining up starting at 6 PM the night before).

captain nintendo
11-22-2005, 07:01 PM
I just wanted everyone to know that even though I did not arrive in time to actually get a 360. My Wal Mart handled things extremely well and everybody seemed happy about the way they did it.

Jasoco
11-22-2005, 09:51 PM
At 6AM this morning people were camped outside of Kmart. So they opened the doors 2 hours early for a few minutes just to sell them all to the campers.

By 8AM they were all gone. Not even the department manager could keep one aside. Even if I had been in the department at opening this morning I wouldn't have even been able to keep one for myself.

Not getting one was inevitable. But I really wish I had gotten one just to resell. eBay's got them up really high now.

Icarus Moonsight
11-24-2005, 12:15 AM
Since when has Wal-Mart ever expressed an interest to ensure their customers safety? Being among the top OSHA violators I'd say never... not to mention that Wal-Mart security executes suspected (need not be actual) shoplifters with relative impunity... with out a trial no less. I'm more shocked by your shock that Wal-Mart don't care.

Ulticron
11-24-2005, 07:33 AM
Posted by: zerohero

I had to work that day so I didn't even bother with it.

Posted by: joshnickerson

The only system launch I ever attended was the Gamecube's, back in 2001. Since the Wal-Mart I was at was in a small town, there weren't too many people in line, and at about 10 o clock, they actually assigned us all numbers and just told us to come back around midnight.

But I can't see myself doing it again. I mean, I honestly don't mind waiting a few months to get a system anymore. And I certainly can't see myself getting into a fight over being one of the first.

Any word on how it went at your store, Ulticron?[/b]

I can't remember if I told you on Trillian or not Josh but the whole lose your spot in line deal got canned, I think Kory had alot to do with that. Two days before the midnite rush he was going around the store talking about how unfair it was and how if he didn't get a 360 he was just going to kill all the management there LOL ! When I came in that morning he was there in line with a friend of his that he was using as a seat holder and he came and went as he pleased and ultimately got one. I was just glad he got one, not for the fact it kept him from a killing spree, just that he really wanted it, more to the point we can both laugh at the fact that Phil didn't get one at all anywhere!

On a side note I fully intend on making the 400 mile trek so we can go to the launch of Revolution together. I don't care if we're the only 2 ppl in line. It will still be fun.

EDIT:

Posted by: Acidic_Pain

Since when has Wal-Mart ever expressed an interest to ensure their customers safety? Being among the top OSHA violators I'd say never... not to mention that Wal-Mart security executes suspected (need not be actual) shoplifters with relative impunity... with out a trial no less. I'm more shocked by your shock that Wal-Mart don't care.

I'm not shocked that walmart doesn't care, I should know that better than anyone considering I've wasted almost 5yrs of my life being their slave. I'm just shocked at how insanely obsurd they continue to become.[/quote]

Gamereviewgod
11-24-2005, 09:05 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/23/xbox.scuffle.ap/index.html

Anthony must be one of them psychic people....

joshnickerson
11-24-2005, 09:43 AM
On a side note I fully intend on making the 400 mile trek so we can go to the launch of Revolution together. I don't care if we're the only 2 ppl in line. It will still be fun.

Dude, the only reason you want to be at the launch is so you can shout out "VIVA LA REVOLUTION!!!" :P

SoulBlazer
11-24-2005, 09:09 PM
Well, what did they EXPECT? The people waiting in line wanted to use a numbering system that THEY came up with? :hmm: Or am I missing something?

I thought by 'first come first serve', it ment that whoever was in line first got served first. Is'nt that normaly how it works? x_x