PDA

View Full Version : Good News: Bought a DS, Bad News: Dead Pixel

vespertillio
11-21-2005, 12:31 PM
With all the talk about Mario Kart DS going on, I fianlly bit the bullett and got a DS. It's the teal version that comes with that Best Friend version of Nintendogs. Anyway, I notice it has a dead pixel in the upper right corner of the top screen. I know the PSP's had pixel problems, but I had not heard of many on the DS. Do you folks think I should take it back to Toys R Us and get another, or just deal with it. It's not huge if a deal, and not really noticeable except during certain screen changes.
Oh, and let me just say that Mario Kart DS rocks!! I'll add my friend number soon. I still suck at it, but it a blast to play. It also works on my 802.11b network. I heard it wouldn't work, but it seems to work great. Thanks all.

Fred

Niku-Sama
11-21-2005, 12:37 PM
i'd talk to nintendo's customer service first...they might have a better idea

ubersaurus
11-21-2005, 12:43 PM
You're in the wrong forum for this thread.

Nintendo's customer service is top notch, there's a good chance they'll replace it without any trouble.

dcescott
11-21-2005, 12:56 PM
take it back
tell them to deal with it. You kept the receipt right?

Atar1G1rl
11-21-2005, 01:12 PM
Scooting this over to the Modern Gaming forum. :)

goatdan
11-21-2005, 01:29 PM
If it doesn't bug you, don't worry about it. Some people get bugged by things like that, and some don't. I'm one that does. If I personally had a dead pixel, it would've been back immediately and / or called into Nintendo. They drive me absolutely nuts.

And the DS systems have had some dead pixel issues, but it seems to be a much lower percentage than the PSP. Sony also tries to state that dead pixels are normal, while Nintendo replaces them. LCD pixel technology still isn't perfect, but it has gotten better. The only reason that Sony has a worse reputation is how they deal with the issue.

prismra
11-21-2005, 01:36 PM
I had one that went away..strange

vespertillio
11-21-2005, 01:53 PM
I have the receipt and it's only 2 days old. I think I will try to take it back and just see if they will exchange it. Otherwise, it's not to much of a big deal.

Oh, thanks for moving this to the right forum. I'm so used to posting in the other. This is the newest modern game machine I have lol.

johno590
11-21-2005, 02:08 PM
I would take it back. No way I would just buy something for 100+ dollars and then it have something wrong with it and just be like oh well. But that's just me, I wanna get what I pay for.

Muscelli
11-21-2005, 02:29 PM
Come on dude, its just a pixel

Half Japanese
11-21-2005, 02:46 PM

Uh. No. If you're paying $150 for something, you expect it to be of a fully-working nature. I mean, it's not like buying a $1 steak dinner and having a small hair in your food. Then, you don't really have a lot of space to bitch, but $150's a different story. I had a dead pixel on the first DS I bought, and took it back. Opened the 2nd one in the store and it had a dead pixel too. 3rd time was the charm.

NE146
11-21-2005, 02:59 PM
Naturally it's up to you. :) Personally I have 3 dead pixels. 2 in the bottom, one on the top. I never notice it unless it's a blank screen or something. So.. *shrug*.

walrusmonger
11-21-2005, 03:04 PM
There's 1 dead pixel on my new 32 inch Aquos HDTV. It cost almost $1800. I am happy I only have 1 dead pixel out of the many.

I think you should give it a break. It's only 1 dead pixel, it's not worth the time or effort to go back and forth and bother the retail clerks.

unwinddesign
11-21-2005, 03:11 PM
I had one that went away..strange

This is actually a "stuck" pixel -- it's simply stuck on one color (usually blue/black), and over time, can regain its normal color spectrum.

DonMarco
11-21-2005, 06:49 PM
You got to draw the line somewhere...

njiska
11-21-2005, 07:10 PM
Get it fixed. It easy and free. Nintendo's tech support is second to none.

I speak from experience, getting a replacement DS is a breeze.

Joker T
11-21-2005, 07:15 PM
Dead pixels never really bothered me and I have one in the corner of my PSP screen. The thing that does piss me off is the little scratch on the PSP "Ring" on the back :angry:

maxlords
11-21-2005, 07:22 PM
NIntendo guarantees their systems against dead pixels if bought new, replace it. I had mine replaced at launch because it had dust under the top screen right in the center....drove me nuts. Nintendo's quality service is second to NONE.

DarkStraw
11-21-2005, 09:10 PM
I bought my DS at launch and i dropped it cracked the top screen, and since nintendo dident have a repair option at the time (since it had just launched) they gave me a new one for free. and the way the replace it is just sweet, they you contact them over the phone or something and they send you a new ds, and when you get it you send them your broken one and i think they give you a couple weeks to mail it too so i had some fun with one screen mutlyplayer for a while with my brother. it was so easy.

drummy
11-21-2005, 11:50 PM
The exact same thing happened to me, actually. I had just bought the teal Nintendogs DS. It got a red dead pixel up in the upper left hand corner. That sucked because the color was nice and much better than the typical silver one.

vespertillio
11-21-2005, 11:57 PM
Well. I took it back this eve. (Yes it bugged me each time MK started LOL ) They were cool. They were even cool when I asked them if I could charge the new one a little and test it before I left. I brought my MK game just to test a full black screen. The cashier was very friendly as was I. She didn't mind letting the replacement charge as I didn't mind her attending others at customer service as well, whatever it was they needed doing lol. Now I have my most excellent DS with no bad pixlels. I bought Trauma Center at an Eb on the way home. Wohoo, the first new (well, a year old) gen system I have bought in years. Thanks all. 8-)

V

ozyr
11-22-2005, 12:23 AM
If I had a dollar for every dead pixel I found (monitors, games systems, etc), I'd have around $10 right now.
- 2 Lynx units with 1 dead pixel
- 1 laptop with 1 dp
- 7 computer monitors with 1 dp (yes, I've got lots of monitors)

I find them to be no big deal -especially if it is only '1'. If it bothers you, take it back. If not, keep it.

Ed Oscuro
11-22-2005, 10:22 AM
Hmm...I don't think I've ever had dead pixels on a system, including a laptop where the backlight was going bad (wierd pattern on the top of the display like darkness was seeping in from the sides...looked like somebody sat on it!), both Game Gears I bought recently, the Game Boy Pocket, various monitors, and my Sega Nomad. Not a single bad pixel as far as I can see. Maybe I need to look more closely...

jdc
11-22-2005, 05:52 PM
My PSP has eight dead pixels and it's one of those things where if you don't dwell on them, they "cease to be". Even watching a movie in a dark room doesn't make them instantly noticeable. I'd be bothered by a scuffed screen more than a few dead pixels.

I'm getting the Mario Kart DS bundle when it launches, and I'm not even going to bother trying to find a dead pixel because I know that there is a great chance that there will be one or two....or eight. LOL .

kevin_psx
11-22-2005, 06:05 PM
- 7 computer monitors with 1 dp (yes, I've got lots of monitors)

Another reason CRT is better. How does one know whether a pixel is dead - or stuck?

SuperNES
11-22-2005, 06:13 PM
my DS has a deadpixel, and my flatscreen monirtor has one too. they are both in the lower right corner, but they don;t bother me too much , especially since the monitor was accidentaly sent to me instead of a standard huge CRT one!

Muscelli
12-02-2005, 04:09 PM

Uh. No. If you're paying $150 for something, you expect it to be of a fully-working nature. I mean, it's not like buying a $1 steak dinner and having a small hair in your food. Then, you don't really have a lot of space to bitch, but $150's a different story. I had a dead pixel on the first DS I bought, and took it back. Opened the 2nd one in the store and it had a dead pixel too. 3rd time was the charm.

TO each his own, I guess. Some people are more picky (not trying to insult you by saying that, but there is no other word) while others arent as concerned..

to the OP: I hear there are certian movie files (if u have a gba movie player) that are supposed to get rid of stuck pixels.. Id look into that if u have a gba movie player