PDA

View Full Version : Offensive to Gamers

2Dskillz
11-21-2005, 09:47 PM
Tycoon Guy was one of many to write "Looks like another 20 million viewers will be fed the 'video games promote violence' story tonight. Today's CSI: Miami episode will feature a group of kids who are inspired to go on a city-wide crime spree by a game that looks suspiciously like Grand Theft Auto. From the description: 'Delko witnesses a bank robbery and the CSIs soon discover that the culprits are playing out the action from the videogame 'Urban Hellraisers' on the streets of Miami. As they score points for each crime committed, the CSIs must discover what consists of getting to the next level in the game in order to stop the culprits before they strike again.'"

I find ideas like this to be rude and uninformed, and I will be writing a letter of complaint.

Johnny_Rock
11-21-2005, 09:51 PM
Since when are gamers a minority group? Its just a another shovel full of shit for the already heaping anti-videogame shitpile. And i doubt writing i letter will do anything.

Half Japanese
11-21-2005, 10:06 PM
So people outside of the Nielsen familes actually watch shows that last more than two seasons? Odd.

johno590
11-21-2005, 10:26 PM
I watched that episode tonight and it was fun to watch (as I think most CSI's are). Yeah I guess it made some of the "gamers" seem crazy or weird, but whatever, everyone has stereotypes right?

The fact is that many people play video games and not all are violent.

To me though it's just a tv show and I don't take it seriously.

zerohero
11-21-2005, 11:38 PM
Don't stop gaming, and just enjoy Xbox 360 "Jump in"...

Push Upstairs
11-21-2005, 11:56 PM
You take a series of shows seriously where any crappy video footage can be magically zoomed in and brought to 100% clarity?

That and i didnt take the show seriously because its oddly similar too a plotpoint in one of Jackie Chan's more recent movies.

The difference is that in the movie the video games were not what caused the kids to go on thier "killing spree"

slapdash
11-22-2005, 05:21 PM
Another show had a killer using a game to get ideas for his killing spree, or something like that anyway. Was it Killer Instinct maybe (if so, nice pun on the title)?

(Ah, yes, a quick Google search provides confirmation; the episode was called "Game Over" too...)

diskoboy
11-22-2005, 06:14 PM
*phew!!!*

That episode reeked of Jack Thompson. Coupled with the stench of Jerry F**kheimer, the smell is overpowering.

Thank god for Fox's sunday night lineup.

Griking
11-22-2005, 08:26 PM
In every crime story there's a "bad guy" that a particular group of people can get offended over if they have thin enough skin.

I suppose you'd rather the show was about minorities who deal drugs and kill people like most crime dramas usually are.

Joker T
11-22-2005, 10:53 PM
Sorta makes sense. They need to do something new I mean how many times can there be a crazy serial killer in these crime dramas. Video games may not have been the best choice but oh well.

Tron 2.0
11-23-2005, 04:47 AM
Leave it to the media to use.. video games as a scape goat :angry:

njiska
11-23-2005, 11:03 AM
Well at least someone in the media acknowledges it was a bad idea. A very bad idea.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/gamepolitics/138310.html
(The article referenced by GP requires a free membership to view)

I just watched the show again and my good i feel sick. The word Gamer is equivalent to Nazi.

pragmatic insanester
11-25-2005, 05:09 PM
anyone have screenshots or footage of the game in the episode? i couldn't find anything.

Arkaign
11-25-2005, 05:25 PM
How retarded, and how predictable. I have never liked any of these so-called 'crime' dramas, I mean we are up to our ears with murder, rape, theft, etc in the news and in our neighborhoods every day and every night. I sure as hell don't care to watch a make-believe show about the crap. Of course the networks will make 10 billion clones of ANYthing that gets ratings. Witness the reality tv nightmare (Survivor #487, Families forced to do without jumbo-sizing on their fatass combo meals! OMFGWTFBBQ!!), and the endless spinoffs of Law & Order, CSI, and anything else they can dilute and repeat endlessly.

This particular example is a good example of the dumbing down and knee-jerk idiocy of most mass-market consumer entertainment presentations.

Oh well, no one's forcing me to watch, thank god. To each his own.

njiska
11-25-2005, 06:48 PM
anyone have screenshots or footage of the game in the episode? i couldn't find anything.

I'll see if i can find a copy on the newsgroups for you. Once i have it i'll host it.

DonMarco
11-25-2005, 07:36 PM

I'll see if i can find a copy on the newsgroups for you. Once i have it i'll host it.
I haven't seen the episode yet, so I searched for "csi 409" over at isohunt.com.

Of all the CSIs, I'd expect this from Miami. Remember the episode last year with Tony Hawk? At least when Law & Order does anything video game-related, it leaves the viewer to draw thier own conclusions. All too often, CSI forgets that the viewers have their own opinions on things "unorthodox". Like video games, gambling, and amatuer S&M parties.

evil_genius
11-25-2005, 07:58 PM
I'm fucking pissed

exit
11-26-2005, 01:14 AM
At least when Law & Order does anything video game-related, it leaves the viewer to draw thier own conclusions.

The Law in Order series usually do that in general, that's why they are the few crim drama series (next to the Shield) I'd sit down and watch if I saw it on. I also like the fact that they will have total downer endings, instead of the usual "all loose ends are tied" endings.

I don't see why someone would watch a TV show for current events in life, especially with such a silly story, that's what the news is for last time I checked.

njiska
11-26-2005, 10:53 PM
Ladies and Gentalmen, i give you the worst TV show of the year

http://www2.ltlowe.com/~suprnova/csi.miami.409.hdtv-lol.%5bVTV%5d.avi

Xizer
11-26-2005, 11:37 PM
In every crime story there's a "bad guy" that a particular group of people can get offended over if they have thin enough skin.

I suppose you'd rather the show was about minorities who deal drugs and kill people like most crime dramas usually are.

Yeah, I would, actually. Considering the fact that minorities DO deal drugs and DO kill people.

kedawa
11-26-2005, 11:45 PM
Were people actually expecting something realistic or intelligent?

We're talking about a show about forensic investigators written by people who know next to nothing about forensics.

The mainstream media have always been laughably out of touch with reality, and there's no reason to expect that to change as soon as the subject of their medicore drivel shifts to videogames.

kedawa
11-26-2005, 11:46 PM

Yeah, I would, actually. Considering the fact that minorities DO deal drugs and DO kill people.Most of those people also play videogames, and watch movies, and eat nachos, etc.

shoes23
11-27-2005, 04:20 AM
The Star Tribune (Minneapolis newspaper) had an article in their early Sunday edition that commented on the CSI series from a legal prosecutors standpoint. They claim that the show is making it harder to prosecute defendents, because jurors are now demanding that evidence be presented in a high-tech and dramatic flair like on the TV show.

Scary thought that some Americans actually think that is the way that legal matters are handled. From what I've heard this episode didn't draw to much attention from anyone, but still people shouldn't be this influenced by a cheesy crime drama. :/

Yamazaki
11-27-2005, 08:42 AM
looks like Jack Thompson missed his chance to get into the Hollywood biz.

Jorpho
11-27-2005, 01:31 PM
Most of those people also play videogames, and watch movies, and eat nachos, etc.

What? Nachos cause violent crime!? SUE NABISCO!

Sothy
11-27-2005, 03:40 PM
Furrys got pissed off at CSI too for their portrayal of people that dress like Animals and jerk off on each other.

At least that wasnt the plot of the Video game one.

Yamazaki
11-28-2005, 04:47 AM
now that it watched it: this is probably the biggest piece of shit I ever seen in my life! even bigger shit than Ilsa, She-Wolf of the SS!

Famidrive-16
11-28-2005, 02:54 PM
Furrys got pissed off at CSI too for their portrayal of people that dress like Animals and jerk off on each other.

At least that wasnt the plot of the Video game one.

Unless it was about kids playing as Tifa a bit too much in FF7!

Anyone here seen that SVU episode about the GTA type game and the kid who killed that woman?

"What does 'L M A O' mean?"
"...laughing my ass off."
"You were LAUGHING AT A MURDER???"

Oh boy.

Aswald
12-01-2005, 04:29 PM
Unless the crooks in question were already decided to do this, and simply decided to follow the game (plot device) afterwards.

Still, it is a crummy game series.

mregashu
12-03-2005, 01:50 PM
Ehh, it's CSI. I don't expect much. Personally, I've always thought it would be a better show if the detective wore a cape and had a big bat on his chest. Than the crap they are able to do would seem more feasible.

Richter Belmount
12-03-2005, 03:50 PM
Wow these hollywood people are out to deliver a message about what video gamers are about , a true realistic and fine potrayal ( or just desperately looking for new material to put in their stupid show that will get attention/ ratings )
(insert mofoing duh here.)
A true potrayal

Aswald
12-06-2005, 01:37 PM
"RIPPED FROM THE HEADLINES; THE EPISODE EVERYONE WILL BE TALKING ABOUT!!"

Like, where?

Johnny_Rock
12-06-2005, 03:32 PM
"RIPPED FROM THE HEADLINES; THE EPISODE EVERYONE WILL BE TALKING ABOUT!!"

Like, where?

Here apparently.

Frankie23
12-06-2005, 06:49 PM
now that it watched it: this is probably the biggest piece of shit I ever seen in my life! even bigger shit than Ilsa, She-Wolf of the SS!

Hey now, I understand you're upsrt and all, but that's no reason to start dogging on Dyanne Thorne.

Mmmm... Ilsa...