PDA

View Full Version : Sony CEO : PS3 under $400

Arkaign
11-22-2005, 06:55 PM
This should put out the flames about PS3 being considerably more expensive than 360. If it comes to pass that you get a HDD with the unit for $399, I'm in .. I was going to buy a Blu-Ray player for movies anyway. If it's something like a 'core' unit for $399, I might decide to wait a while.

Oh, and also particularly interesting .. "the console will come with a bundle of games, movies and TV shows."

Nice ;) Well, if the games are interesting at least. I'm the guy who actually played the SMS maze game that came up if you had no cart/card in the thing lol.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=13145

my apologies if this is already posted, please delete if this is so.

njiska
11-22-2005, 07:10 PM
This is what's known as a "Last Ditch Effort". Sony's recieved an enormous amount of Flak in the past month and now they need to start saving face.

If the annoucment is in fact true (CEO tend to know fuck all about what's actually going on think Bill Gates' Halo 3 comment) then Sony is gonna go bankrupt if Blu-Ray fails.

They really are banking the company on their new format.

Arkaign
11-22-2005, 07:19 PM
Heheh Sony can go bankrupt and I won't care, just want me some 1080p LOTR Trilogy, Original Matrix, Fight Club (smash, splat, lol), Batman Begins, etc.

I think Microsoft has been pretty smart with producing so many accursed 'core' systems. Charging $100 for a 20 gig drive is one way to start accumulating a ton of profits :) Sony will surely rip people off as well ..

Joker T
11-22-2005, 09:44 PM
Sounds okay to me as it was rumored to cost over $400.

Sylentwulf
11-23-2005, 06:32 AM
I can't see how they would release it for MORE than that. Any console that has or will be released for more than $400 just CAN'T Succeed IMO. Unless they lower the price of it within 1-2 months.

I say they should release it for $600, let all the damned launch day morons buy it up, and then lower it to $400 after 1 month. You KNOW a ton of people would still buy the damn thing on launch day.

Arkaign
11-23-2005, 09:33 AM
I can't see how they would release it for MORE than that. Any console that has or will be released for more than $400 just CAN'T Succeed IMO. Unless they lower the price of it within 1-2 months.

I say they should release it for $600, let all the damned launch day morons buy it up, and then lower it to $400 after 1 month. You KNOW a ton of people would still buy the damn thing on launch day.

lol so true LOL

Ebay search on x360s is pretty insane, getting up to $1k+ now. Oh well, if the buyer is happy with it, fine by me.

Ed Oscuro
11-23-2005, 10:12 AM
This is what's known as a "Last Ditch Effort". Sony's recieved an enormous amount of Flak in the past month and now they need to start saving face.
Are you saying that they originally were going to release it for hundreds more, but because a few things that geeks (such as I, and random people in my city) follow happened Sony feels the need to make amends?

Ed Oscuro
11-23-2005, 10:15 AM
If it comes to pass that you get a HDD with the unit for $399
From your own link:

Some speculation has emerged over whether the content Stringer refers to might ship on a built-in hard drive on the PS3, but the firm has already stated that the console won't ship with an internal hard drive - instead offering users the option of adding one using a 2.5" hard drive bay on the back of the machine.
It's not impossible that there could be a version bundled with one, but that'll cost extra ;)

dreams
11-23-2005, 11:33 AM
While the topic was accurate at the time of creation, new details have surfaced to show that the statement was actually never made.

In an effort to prevent the further spreading of the inaccurate information, I am locking this topic and redirecting all conversation here (http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=74840).