PDA

View Full Version : Snowboard Kids (DS)

PDorr3
11-22-2005, 07:11 PM
This game is released tomorrow, and I was hoping it would turn out to be a fairly good game. Gamespy reviewed it and gave it a 3/5 (60%) mainly saying its a good game, only it came out at the wrong time because of mario kart. I dont think he should give it a lower score because of that though...

Nintendo power gave it a 7.5 out of 10, but I havent read the actual review. I loved the original snowboard kids on n64, and despite them changing the character models I was wondering if this game is worth picking up.

Snapple
11-22-2005, 07:21 PM
I don't own a DS, but the original Snowboard Kids games were fantastic. Basically like Mario Kart, but it's a snowboarding game, and a ton of fun. I completely couldn't get into SSX, which everyone told me was fantastic, but SBK I did.

Nintendo Power has one of the worst review systems of all time though. I wouldn't go by that. I remember back in the day, they graded on a scale that went up to 5.0, and every single game got between like a 3.5 and a 4.5. Bebe's Kids probably got something like a 3.4.

If SBK DS turns out to be a bad game, then Nintendo (or whoever made it) screwed up royally. Because even a direct port could've been a fantastic game.

petewhitley
11-22-2005, 07:56 PM
If SBK DS turns out to be a bad game, then Nintendo (or whoever made it) screwed up royally. Because even a direct port could've been a fantastic game.

Ugh. I disagree. I thought it was brainless, pointless, and fun-less. It wasn't critically acclaimed, so try before you buy.

Joker T
11-22-2005, 09:42 PM
I never owned a N64 do the DS is a great way to play the stuff I missed. This could be fun but I agree that it is launching at the wrong time.

GameNinja
11-22-2005, 10:49 PM
I really liked the game and have been excited for the DS release ever since hearing about it. If I had the money I would certainly pick it up. I hope it is only as good as i remember it ( I played the n64 version in like third grade- the same time I thought Quest 64 was one of the best games ever so, SBK might not be so great nowadays...)

heyricochet
11-22-2005, 11:09 PM
I played SBK in like 7th grade, and I thought it was awesome, rebought it a year ago, still awesome. Also have SBK2 but haven't gotten around to playing it cause I've been trying to beat SBK first.

Mayhem
11-23-2005, 12:16 AM
The original SBK was funless and pointless? Per-shaw here... it was brilliant. More played and better imo than MK64 especially with four player at the controls. Looking forward to the DS version here :)

THATinkjar
11-23-2005, 02:31 AM
Gamespy reviewed it and gave it a 3/5 (60%) mainly saying its a good game, only it came out at the wrong time because of mario kart. I dont think he should give it a lower score because of that though...

IGN have said much the same thing.

It sounds like SBK DS is just as good as SBK on the N64 - question is, how good was that? Pick it up if you liked the original, is my bet.

petewhitley
11-23-2005, 03:29 AM
More played and better imo than MK64 especially with four player at the controls.

@_@ @_@ @_@
To each his own ...

videogameking26
11-23-2005, 04:47 AM
Picking mine up later today..never played the N64 version, can't wait to try this out

goatdan
11-23-2005, 08:53 AM
More played and better imo than MK64 especially with four player at the controls.

@_@ @_@ @_@
To each his own ...

I don't know... personally, I would agree with that. Then again, I HATED MK64 with a passion thanks to the unfair AI. SBK seemed to have fair AI, but in my opinion also didn't match the greatness of Diddy Kong Racing.

I'm interested in SKDS, but it will be at least until I find a used copy before I actually pick it up.

PDorr3
11-23-2005, 10:08 AM
SBK was one of my favorite games years ago. I loved the race tracks (they really were designed well) and I never found the item weapons to be overly cheap or useless. To me mario kart 64 was something to be played in multiplayer with friends, while SBK was still enjoyable vs the AI.

I will definitly be buying this once I can get a used copy or get it cheaper on ebay, eventhough I am sad they ditched the awsome character designs from the N64 games and replaced them with more anime like designs, also the voice acting sounds very annoying in the videos.

IGN gave this game a 6.2

jdc
11-23-2005, 07:07 PM
Man oh man, the hours that I spent on Snowboard Kids was astronomical, especially racking up scores in that halfpipe. Once I unlocked Sinobin (that ninja) it was great.

The DS is looking better and better. I can hardly wait to get mine!

Mayhem
11-23-2005, 07:48 PM
Bought it today, it was in the boxes supplied to stores but not out on any shelves yet heh. Not opened it to have a go yet, but will later tonight :)

THATinkjar
11-24-2005, 03:28 AM
Bought it today, it was in the boxes supplied to stores but not out on any shelves yet heh. Not opened it to have a go yet, but will later tonight :)

I'm dying to hear what you think. The reviews are pretty lukewarm, but then, they all seem to be digging at the fact it isn't Mario Kart DS...

Mayhem
11-25-2005, 02:05 PM
For sure it isn't Mario Kart, but it's a great multiplayer title. Hell this got more N64 time than MK64 did! It was that and Smash Bros and Goldeneye.

Having had some time to play now, it's more like SBK2 than 1, and they've changed the shot function so that you have a bar built up from doing tricks than you use to earn the shot. You now only pick up items on the track. Interesting new way of doing stuff.

The bottom screen is used for the map and also to activate the special signature trick moves you can pull off when the shot bar power is at maximum. Some tracks don't require to you come first, just earn a certain of points on the way down from doing stuff.

So far, so good. Need to play it in multiplayer though to get the full effect! If only it was wifi as well... anyhow I'm liking it because I was a SBK nut. Sure there's a couple of niggles so far I might get used to (or not) but it's worth more than the reviews so far have given it.

Famidrive-16
11-25-2005, 04:30 PM
I'll be checking it out... SBK1&2 were great...

PDorr3
11-28-2005, 12:21 AM
So has anyone else played this besides mayhem? I just dont trust the reviews on websites because they are all comparing it to mario kart sadly.

Lothars
11-28-2005, 01:26 AM
I've actually never played SBK 1 or 2 on the 64 but im definitly interested in trying out this game

hmm I might have to go and take a look for it

:D

Snapple
11-28-2005, 01:38 AM
I finally saw some screenshots of the DS SBK, and wow, they totally changed the characters. They used to be funny looking cartoon kids with gigantic noses, and now they're completely generic anime-style kids. That's disappointing.

I hope the gameplay itself remained mostly as fun as the original though.

Notice the difference in art-style.

Original:
http://n64.icequake.net/mirror/slaanesh79/Box_Art/Cart_Boxes/Snowboard%20Kids%202%20(U).jpg

New:
http://www.gamesarefun.com/games/ds/snowboardkids/art02.jpg

Looks like night and day to me.

THATinkjar
11-28-2005, 03:25 AM
I've actually never played SBK 1 or 2 on the 64 but im definitly interested in trying out this game

hmm I might have to go and take a look for it

:D

The DS has consumed your life, Jon :) I always knew it would. I remember the days when you were holding off buying... Ah, those were the days! SBK will make 7 games, right?