PDA

View Full Version : Next Gen not impressed with 360

sabre2922
11-22-2005, 11:50 PM
----------------------------------------------------------
Anyway. You see the most basic problem. Out of eighteen games, eight are maybe worth paying attention to; six of those actually have something to do with the system itself; two or three are actually original in some sense, and none of them actually provide any demonstration for what the system has to offer over current hardware, OR EVEN HARDWARE FROM TWO GENERATIONS AGO, aside from how pretty everything looks. -from next gen.com
---------------------------------------------------------

Ugh harsh words :hmm:

...more proof that the DREAMCAST WILL NEVER DIE O_O
from the same article:

--------------------------------------------------------
By most accounts Project Gotham is really amazing to look at, and plays exactly like the earlier games, which themselves were basically just enhancements on Metropolis Street Racer for the Dreamcast.-next gen.com
-----------------------------------------------------------

PDorr3
11-23-2005, 12:03 AM
Well I say give it time. Look at the ps2 launch games, and look at where they are now. Theres plenty of time to improve, however I must say that many of these games do ALMOST look like they are from the current generation. Im buying the system for exclusives though, if it werent for elder scrolls 4 being in the 360 I probably wouldent be interested in it much.

sabre2922
11-23-2005, 12:12 AM
I have to admit that my interest in actually buying a 360 has diminished faster than my love life in the last year :embarrassed: :puppydogeyes: :sob:

Ive decided to stay with my still new slim model PS2 and ever present DC for the long run since 90% of the mutliplatform games that will be released on the 360 will be released on the PS2 in one form or another anyway and Im sure some of the so-called "exclusives" like Ridge Racer 6 will be there for the PS3 launch also.

MAYBE Oblivion and a REAL TIGER WOODS UPDATE might change my mind but its highly doubtful.

Kroogah
11-23-2005, 12:25 AM
Moved. Xbox 360 posts go in the Modern Gaming forum, dude.

AMG
11-23-2005, 01:13 AM
----------------------------------------------------------
Anyway. You see the most basic problem. Out of eighteen games, eight are maybe worth paying attention to; six of those actually have something to do with the system itself; two or three are actually original in some sense, and none of them actually provide any demonstration for what the system has to offer over current hardware, OR EVEN HARDWARE FROM TWO GENERATIONS AGO, aside from how pretty everything looks. -from next gen.com

Ouch, pretty brutal words about the X360. But to be honest, this is just the start of things. You really can't judge a console on it's launch games alone. The PS2 is a perfect example of that.

sabre2922
11-23-2005, 01:20 AM
Moved. Xbox 360 posts go in the Modern Gaming forum, dude.

yeah hah old habit of posting on the classics forum I havent broke yet.

Enixis
11-23-2005, 06:22 AM
I tried out the system at the local gamestore and i've not been impressed one bit. The games look like they could have been done on an xbox utilising its full potential.

Captain Wrong
11-23-2005, 07:56 AM
As many have noted, this is fairly typical talk for a new console, at least as far as the games go. I can't remember anyone being totally blown away at launch time with any console.

However, I am noticing more dissatisfaction with the actual content of the games. Here's hoping we've reached a point with graphics where high quality is a given and people will start focusing on new and original game ideas again.

(I'm not holding my breath.)

anagrama
11-23-2005, 08:00 AM
I can't remember anyone being totally blown away at launch time with any console.

Soul Calibur.

Kejoriv
11-23-2005, 08:00 AM
[quote="Captain Wrong"]I can't remember anyone being totally blown away at launch time with any console.
[quote]

I dont know about anyone else, wen I first saw N64 in the stores I was totally away. I mean a 3-D Mario was so cool. But, you gotta remember I grew up on Atari and Nes, I didnt play much Snes when it was current.

kevin_psx
11-23-2005, 08:29 AM
"the system has nothing offer over current hardware, aside from how pretty everything looks". -from next gen.com
Isn't that true since the 80s? NES was Atari but replaced black backgrounds with detailed pictures. SNES was NES with more colors - think Mario Allstars. N64 = SNES w/SuperFX 3D but better. And so on. Same old games but prettier.

GrandAmChandler
11-23-2005, 08:36 AM
I can't remember anyone being totally blown away at launch time with any console.

Soul Calibur.

I second that. Also, Dynasty Warriors 2 was the sole reason I purchased a PS2 on launch day.

jdc
11-23-2005, 08:50 AM
Well....the first game that I ever saw running on an N64 was Super Mario 64, which blew me away because it was heads and tails above anything that preceded it. (The first game that I bought was Diddy Kong Racing and I was blown away by the "coldness" of the snow worlds!)

The first game that I saw on the Dreamcast was Soul Calibur, which likewise blew me away for the same reasons. It was far superior than anything that preceded it.

You shouldn't expect to be blown away to the same degree when you see the Xbox 360. We've seen close to this level for several years now. The 360 games do look super detailed though and there is a difference, but not as big a one....yet. Give it a few years and you'll crap your pants.

kevin_psx
11-23-2005, 09:06 AM
I was blown away by Amiga's 16-bit graphics. Not impressed by PS1. Nor N64. Watching my nephews play - they looked bored.

Final Fantasy 10 was amazing. And so are the human characters in X360 games. But good graphics don't make a good game. X360's games are nothing I enjoy. I don't like sports or FPSes.

That's why it's unimpressive.

Crazycarl
11-23-2005, 09:16 AM
yea this is really harsh review, and early to boot. i mean this is along the same lines of reviewing a show on its pilot episode. before they get a chance to get their footing they have the floor ripped out from under them.

Captain Wrong
11-23-2005, 09:26 AM

Soul Calibur.

I knew someone was going to say that. :)

I was talking about an entire launch, not just one game. IIRC, the rest of the DC launch was pretty much panned.

s1lence
11-23-2005, 09:29 AM
OMG the early released games arent that impressive OMG, danger danger will robbinson.

Give me a break. The system is brand new of course the games aren't going to be that amazing. Look at some of the early PS2 games. Pop-up and fill in all over the place. (Summoner is a prime example) Its amazing when reviews show the extreme distaste for Microsoft. :roll:

YoshiM
11-23-2005, 10:59 AM
OMG the early released games arent that impressive OMG, danger danger will robbinson.

Give me a break. The system is brand new of course the games aren't going to be that amazing. Look at some of the early PS2 games. Pop-up and fill in all over the place. (Summoner is a prime example) Its amazing when reviews show the extreme distaste for Microsoft. :roll:

True it's early but c'mon, show the gaming world something at launch that makes people want to open their wallets and join the "next gen" aside from the "EKSBAWKZ TREE-SIDDY is TEH KEWL" factor.

But that could be just me being jaded. Pretty much after the Dreamcast everything else that launched just seemed average. I didn't get my Xbox until almost a year later (and used) and I did't get my Cube until a couple months after Wind Waker came out (also used).

Kid Ice
11-23-2005, 11:29 AM

Soul Calibur.

I knew someone was going to say that. :)

I was talking about an entire launch, not just one game. IIRC, the rest of the DC launch was pretty much panned.

NFL2K was pretty impressive at that time, as was Hydro Thunder.

esquire
11-24-2005, 11:03 AM
As many have noted, this is fairly typical talk for a new console, at least as far as the games go. I can't remember anyone being totally blown away at launch time with any console.

Wasn't Halo a launch title? That of course was an amazing release at launch. Overall, I thought the Xbox had a pretty good release - Halo, PGR, DOA3, Oddworld, and Amped to name a few.

As far as being blown away, Call of Duty 2 is simply beautiful and has amazing gameplay, as is Kameo. The AI in COD2 is tough, and very adaptive. I know COD2 is available on the PC, but the only console its is available on is the 360. The other COD2 game, Big Red One, is a different game altogether.

Arkaign
11-24-2005, 11:14 AM
I think the article was honest but incomplete, and should not be taken overly seriously.

(1)- More games will inevitably come, and the best is certainly not here now. PGR3 is probably the most noticably 'next-gen' title available as yet.

(2)- Microsoft will fix the problems, and apparently a .65nm version of the cpu is on the way for a replacement revision. The kinks will get ironed out.

(3)- As developer emphasis shifts dramatically over to 360, the millions of Xbox owners will almost be forced to upgrade, in order to continue to play their favorite game series. This will ramp up the installed base pretty quickly. By xmas '06 there will probably be too many games to play, instead of the situation now where a lot of early adopters are buying games simply because of the lack of choice.

(4)- As launch lineups go, it could have been better, but damn I know I've seen MUCH worse.

So, in the end, it's just a silly article. 360 owners, party on and enjoy your new gaming goodness. I hate Microsoft (and most corporations), hated my Xbox, and would rather own a new pair of jeans than a 360, but I have absolutely nothing against Xbox fans. Ideally, everyone who buys a console, I want them to be satisfied and gaming away happily.

ManciGames
11-24-2005, 01:35 PM

No way. I was blown away by SC II, Sonic Adventure (the whale stage blew my mind), NFL 2K, even Trickstyle. All of those games were leaps and bounds above Playstation.

zerohero
11-24-2005, 07:44 PM

Which is the exact reason why not to rush out, spend all your money, and buy one just yet.

esquire
11-25-2005, 03:23 PM
"XBOX 360 has nothing on Atari 2600"

http://www.forbes.com/personaltech/2005/11/23/microsoft-xbox-videogames-cx_el_1123oldgames.html?partner=yahootix

The author raises some valid questions (the whole forced-bundled packages is def not cool), but the "limited number of consoles at launch" deal is pretty common practice at this point. Yeah, Dragonstomper is a great game, but he goes on to rave about it for 3 paragraphs. And he uses Human Cannonball as an example of how original games used to be, when it's a better example of horrible they can be.

The first thing I thought after reading the article was, "Did the author even play anything on the 360?" Seriously, after all his ranting and raving, there is no mention whatsoever as to whether or not he has even tried the system. :roll:

davepesc
11-25-2005, 03:35 PM
I would say the 360 is the first "next generation" I'm not blown away by.
My Gaming timeline:
Atari 2600: Wow, I can control shit on TV!
NES/SMS: Wow, scrolling screens, detailed characters and TWO BUTTONS!
GEN/SNES: Wow, Listen to the music, look at all the colors, realistic sports games!
PS1: Wow, 3D!
PS2: Wow, good looking 3D!

And now we have the 360: Meh, somewhat nicer looking 3D, I guess.

I know this doesn't say anything about gameplay, but that's not what draws you in, that's what keeps you around.

Slipdeath
11-27-2005, 10:16 PM
I tried out the system at the local gamestore and i've not been impressed one bit. The games look like they could have been done on an xbox utilising its full potential.
No way the current xbox could run call of duty 2. The problem here is that the current gen looks so good that new and better textures and details are not very impressive at first. You really need a sit down with it to fully experience it. I don't really know what everyone was expecting, was it photorealism? I don't know I wasn't even expecting toy story graphics.