PDA

View Full Version : Disinformation buster: Sony CEO didn't reveal pricing

Ed Oscuro
11-23-2005, 10:54 AM
Giving this a new topic so more people will see it.

"Comments published in a CNN article yesterday purporting to be from Sony CEO Howard Stringer regarding the planned pricing for PlayStation 3 have been removed after it emerged that he had not said anything on the question.

The article, which is attributed to FORTUNE senior editor Peter Lewis and was published on the CNN Money website, referenced a new interview with Stringer which has been published in Fortune magazine."

Here's the article itself:

http://money.cnn.com/2005/11/21/technology/playstation_fortune_112805/

Correction: An earlier version of this story appeared with statements erroneously attributed to Sir Howard Stringer, CEO of Sony Corporation, regarding pricing and availability of the PS3. Stringer has not commented publicly on how much the PS3 is expected to cost, or how soon it will appear in the US after the Japanese launch in spring 2006.

The earlier pricing information is re-iterated here: Early Blu-Ray players could cost $1000, and the latest info is that from Mr. Kutaragi saying the machine "will be expensive."

njiska
11-23-2005, 11:04 AM
No big suprise here. It would be foolish to set the price tag this far in the future anyways.

Sylentwulf
11-23-2005, 01:48 PM
Bummer. I'm still thinking this thing is gonna cost around $500 for a base model (if they have packages, which I imagine they would) with one wirelss controller, no HD.

No way I'll ever pay more than $250 for a console myself. Good thing I have a huge PS2 backlog that just keeps growing to keep me busy :)

Arkaign
11-23-2005, 11:35 PM
Doh LOL

Just goes to show that 'information' from sites even as well-respected as Fortune or CNN can be completely and utterly false. In summary, nothing can ever be believed until it is cold, hard, absolute physical FACT. Ever.

Yeah I fully expect that $499 is probably how this will turn out. I know I'm not buying one at that price, no matter what it has/does.

devilman
11-23-2005, 11:39 PM
Yeah I fully expect that $499 is probably how this will turn out. I know I'm not buying one at that price, no matter what it has/does.

If they come up with one that does back rubs and cooks dinner, I'll take it at that price.

Arkaign
11-23-2005, 11:45 PM

If they come up with one that does back rubs and cooks dinner, I'll take it at that price.

LOL :)

With everything Sony and Microsoft have been promising for this next-gen round, I wouldn't be that surprised if that were in the fine print somewhere!!

Anyhow, price-point and features that would sway me :

If I can get a HDD (even a crappy one, if I have no other choice), the ability to install Linux, 1080p movie playback ..

for $399, I'm in.

Until then, I wait. Perhaps summer '07. I have a monster of a PC, and I do my gaming there or on classic consoles, I have already had and happily parted with Xbox and PS2.

Joker T
11-24-2005, 12:07 AM
Sony should make a game system that has have SOME features and sell it for $299. I mean seriously MS and Sony
you think we can afford all this?

Gaming is an expensive hobby LOL

Arkaign
11-24-2005, 12:14 AM
Sony should make a game system that has have SOME features and sell it for $299. I mean seriously MS and Sony
you think we can afford all this?

Hehe, yeah, it's truly expensive. I wonder though, if you factor in things like inflation, median household income, median age of gamer, etc, when the 'golden age' of gaming was..

I mean we had $99 NES for a long time, same with Genesis and SNES. I guess that might be my guess .. back in the SNES/Genesis heyday of 16-bit. $100 systems, $30-$40 new games.

DonMarco
11-24-2005, 11:02 AM
Sony should make a game system that has have SOME features and sell it for $299. I mean seriously MS and Sony you think we can afford all this?

But at least now it's in HD!

... sigh.

Lothars
11-24-2005, 03:30 PM
so true,

I expect the pricing of the ps3 to be exactly like the xbox 360

no more no less

RCM
11-25-2005, 12:36 AM
with everything that sony is promising i'd expect the PS3 to be expensive. That said, I don't see it being much more than the 360.