PDA

View Full Version : How do I get the best picture quality from my Xbox360

Kejoriv
11-23-2005, 01:45 PM
Alright I have a 32" Philips TV.
3 years old - 27 inch screen
Not a flat, hdtv, plasmc or any of that.
Nice tv.

What can I do to get the best picture quality from my Xbox 360? Should I get the Xbox 360 S-Video AV Cable? Or just stick with what it comes with?

Thanks for the help.

Zing
11-23-2005, 01:57 PM
Component > S-Video > Composite.

Lock topic.

MuppetMaster
11-23-2005, 01:58 PM
If your useing the standard AV cables then YES you should upgrade to the S-Video cables. If your using the HD component cables (RBG) then NO those are better than using S-Video.

Kejoriv
11-23-2005, 02:01 PM

Lock topic.

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/258821.asp

Would that work (aka look a lot better) even on a regular tv? Im pretty sure my tv has those outputs on the back. Thanks for all the help, Im pretty clueless when it comes to this kind of stuff. Only output and input I know...well..thats for a topic for the Happy Hours Pub.

heybtbm
11-23-2005, 04:03 PM

Lock topic.

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/258821.asp

Would that work (aka look a lot better) even on a regular tv? Im pretty sure my tv has those outputs on the back. Thanks for all the help, Im pretty clueless when it comes to this kind of stuff. Only output and input I know...well..thats for a topic for the Happy Hours Pub.

The cable that you linked to is just a combination "component/composite" cable. If you don't have component jacks on your TV this cable won't be any different that a normal composite cable.

Component = HDTV...look for a set of red, green, and blue RCA jacks on the back of your TV.

Composite = Look for a single yellow RCA jack on your TV.

Like the guy posted before...

component > S-video > composite

My opinion is that S-video isn't that much better than composite when dealing with tube TV's and game consols. This may not be true with the 360, but is certainly true with GC/PS2/Xbox.

ubersaurus
11-23-2005, 05:23 PM
Component jacks, if they are on your tv, are the way to go. I've seen em on non-HD machines.

Kejoriv
11-23-2005, 06:27 PM
Component jacks, if they are on your tv, are the way to go. I've seen em on non-HD machines.

Yea, thats what I have and Im gonna have to get that cord this week.

njiska
11-23-2005, 06:29 PM
So does anyone with a VGA cable know if it will do proper Widescreen or Letterbox?

Trebuken
11-23-2005, 06:36 PM
Plug it into you computer monitor...forget that primitive TV of yours.

VGA --> Component --> SCART --> S-Video --> Composite

Any word on DVI or HDMI cables?

Later,
Trebuken

njiska
11-23-2005, 06:37 PM
Plug it into you computer monitor...forget that primitive TV of yours.

VGA --> Component --> SCART --> S-Video --> Composite

Any word on DVI or HDMI cables?

Later,
Trebuken

No digital support, HOWEVER it's been rumoured that there maybe support for it in the future. DVI would just make sense.

jdc
11-23-2005, 06:42 PM
Up until now I've used simple ol' gold-tipped Monster Cables on a regular tube tv and it kicks ass.

As of this Sunday I'll be using a new plasma tv with either S-video or component, depending on the switchbox that I can buy. I had a dilemma. Do I buy a new 360 when Elderscrolls isn't out yet, or do I buy a plasma tv and make all of my existing consoles look incredible? The plasma won since we just finished our new gaming room two nights ago. It should be scary.

Nez
11-23-2005, 09:31 PM
Up until now I've used simple ol' gold-tipped Monster Cables on a regular tube tv and it kicks ass.

As of this Sunday I'll be using a new plasma tv with either S-video or component, depending on the switchbox that I can buy. I had a dilemma. Do I buy a new 360 when Elderscrolls isn't out yet, or do I buy a plasma tv and make all of my existing consoles look incredible? The plasma won since we just finished our new gaming room two nights ago. It should be scary.

Why go plasma? DLP is the way to go, its more reliable, has betterscreen quality, and is much cheaper.

Oh and if you have a 360 you should definitly buy at least a HD CRT monitor I purchased a 27 inch HD CRT TV for $420.

Arkaign
11-24-2005, 12:00 AM
I 2nd the 'avoid plasma' sentiment. My brother has a 42" Plasma from 2003 that has had light/medium use as a spare TV, and it's picture has NOTICABLY degraded over the small time that he's had it.

For large (40"+) .. DLP > *, and LCD > Plasma

For smaller .. CRT > *

Trebuken
11-24-2005, 05:12 PM
I wouldn't by anything that cannot display in 1080P. I would look for something that upconverts as well. PS3 will support 1080P and likely HD-DVD and Blue-Ray will as well. It'll cost more but it will also be future proofed to some degree. DLP is cool, but some of the new flat screens (not sure if they are 'plasma') are very nice though. I usually do not like anything that I can see the pixels in when I stand right in front of it...DLP is great, but I prefer the JVC IDLA TV's, though they are not 1080P. Have not gotten up to date with the new crop of 1080P sets...maybe when my car is paid for...

Later,
Trebuken

njiska
11-24-2005, 05:33 PM
I could give a rat's ass about 1080p, but i will say DLP is the way to go.

Plasma's are better nowadays then they were 2 years ago because the old units actually leaked. DLP on the other hand is a solid tech a step up from LCD and it really is beautiful.