PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro Zoombox - $299 Video Projector

Goblin
11-23-2005, 05:07 PM
I just saw a comercial on TV and went to the Tiger/Hasbro to check out this product. They are releasing a cheap video projector. I wonder if anyone will be getting this to hook up to a console:

http://www.hasbro.com/tigertoys/pl/page.zoombox/dn/default.cfm

I'm not considering getting one, but I once had to bring a projector home from work for an offsite meeting, so while it was in the house I hooked it up to my x-box and played halo 2 on wall with life size opponents. It was a really cool experience. A press release I located elswhere on the site puts the price at $299, so I'm sure someone will end up doing the same for that price. I wonder what the quality will be like.

Joker T
11-23-2005, 05:16 PM
Cool, but it probobally does have awful video quality, it does not even look like it has Compononet, DVI, HDMI or S-video but as far as a big screen experience I guess it is okay.

unwinddesign
11-23-2005, 05:26 PM
I have a Dell Projector from a few years back. In 480i, even through component, most things look really crappy. If it's not in progressive scan, forget it. Composite cables are a nightmare with the thing -- running colors, blurry edges -- just a mess. Palatable, yes. But after seeing 480p on it, which looks excellent, it was hideous and unplayable.

CaryMG
11-26-2005, 08:43 AM
GREAT find, Goblin !

Finally -- a huge sized ultimate hangable video display!

And at that price. they'll positively fly off of the shelves!

I'm SO getting one!

Later!
:) :) :)

slip81
11-26-2005, 09:14 AM
This might not be a bad idea for a portable tv so to speak. Sure the video quality may look pretty bad a big sizes like 55" and up.

But if you got it set to something smaller like 32" or under it might be okay. And even though that's not a huge size, if your main use for it is to take it over a friends house so you don't have to play Halo on a 19" CRT it may actually be pretty useful.

CYRiX
11-26-2005, 11:13 AM
You can always just move it closer to the wall if u want a clearer image.

mikeetler
11-26-2005, 04:17 PM
Just saw them in Target. Might be worth keeping an eye on as a future clearance item.

Damaniel
11-28-2005, 01:21 PM
There's a link on the page to the specs -- if you go there, they list the resolution as 557 x 234 pixels. That's really low resolution -- less than half the resolution of broadcast NTSC if I recall correctly, so I can't imagine that the image quality is going to be any good. Too bad, since I'd really like to get a projector, and the price is certainly right. :)

its_hey_ma
11-28-2005, 10:35 PM
If anyone is interested in a projector, look at mine in the buy/sell section. Its a sony and has real good picture, especially when hooked up through my component cables. Not much more than this one for $300 either

smokehouse
11-29-2005, 04:21 AM
Iíve seen this thing running in videos and it looks terrible. Dim, washed out colors and low, low resolution. I guess you could get away getting it for an 8 year old but thatís about it.

googlefest1
09-26-2006, 12:42 PM
has anyone tried this ? -- the bulb looks like an off the shelf halogen -- thats a good sign

is the picture realy that bad -- i havent seen one yet in action

Half Japanese
09-26-2006, 09:46 PM
It looks like ass. My philosophy is if you're spending a couple hundred on something, get the best you can afford, not the cheapest piece of shit out there.

googlefest1
09-28-2006, 07:18 AM
you can get that particular projector under 100$ if you look hard enough thats why im wondering about it

if some one here had a source for chinese projectors that would be the best - but all i can find are manufacturer sources that require you to buy 200 units - i just want one

anyone own or has seen a Ally PTV01B?

jonjandran
09-29-2006, 08:42 AM
you can get that particular projector under 100$ if you look hard enough thats why im wondering about it

if some one here had a source for chinese projectors that would be the best - but all i can find are manufacturer sources that require you to buy 200 units - i just want one

anyone own or has seen a Ally PTV01B?
At www.lumenlab.com they are in the process of getting units manufactured in China. It will have DVD resolution and good rightness and best of all a $30 replacement bulb that lasts 6000 hours.

The thread talking about it is here:

http://www.lumenlab.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11150

The thread starts out with the projector they were going to import but it wasn't good enough so the owner has flown to China and started production of a better one. The last 2-4 pages talk about it.

It will be avaliable in October.

googlefest1
09-29-2006, 04:05 PM
ooh - i have to check this out - thanks

MegaDrive20XX
10-01-2006, 09:54 AM
I remember the first time I saw a projection TV. It was hooked up to a SNES with Street Fighter II Turbo at a local store. That was a great moment. Yet this, not too shabby on the price. I'd like to see some consumer reviews however.