PDA

View Full Version : Complete RPG List for the PS2 - Updated 2017

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Drag0nsfyre
03-28-2008, 10:12 AM
Did you get the lenticular cover of Xenosaga Episode III? Not to be mistaken with the normal copy of XE3.

It was the normal one

lendelin
03-28-2008, 10:47 PM
Can you get those prices online for those 2 games? (I need mana)

Usually those games aren't available online anymore, but if they are you can get them online for the clearance bin prices.

RPGs go very fast ususally, but I'm glad that there was a halfway decent sale going on again. The last couple of months was almost nothing.

It pays off to check cheapassgamer regularly; although this time I read about this specific sale in its entiretey first on DP thanks to Machinegex. He was faster than the cheapassgamer guys. :)

However, I read about the prices for Odin Sphere and Dawn of Mana first on cheapassgamer and then immediately posted it in this thread. I like doing it this way specifically about RPG deals w/o starting new threads.

Would be great if everyone would post about great deals for RPGs immediately in this thread. Unlike the sports fanatics we RPG fanastics need certainly great sales.

Daria
03-28-2008, 10:51 PM
Well I first read about the sale here, in this thread, so thanks a lot!

I was able to pick up both Odin's Sphere and Dawn of Mana today. DoM was kind of a bonus, but I've been looking to buy Odin's Sphere for awhile now. Also picked up Brave Story for $40, wasn't anything of a steal, but PSP games are tough to find in my area, no one seems to carry RPGs for the system. Unless it's Kingdoms of Paradise or PoPoLoCrois...

lendelin
03-28-2008, 11:01 PM
Well I first read about the sale here, in this thread, so thanks a lot!

I was able to pick up both Odin's Sphere and Dawn of Mana today. DoM was kind of a bonus, but I've been looking to buy Odin's Sphere for awhile now. Also picked up Brave Story for $40, wasn't anything of a steal, but PSP games are tough to find in my area, no one seems to carry RPGs for the system. Unless it's Kingdoms of Paradise or PoPoLoCrois...

Great, I'm glad for you! I bought Odin Sphere for $40 (brrr) because I was impatient weeks ago. Certainly for both games great prices. CC sold Dawn of Mana for $50 until now.

...but I always luck out in these sales. I got two Dawn of Manas to resell, also a Starfox Assault which can be resold with profit.

lendelin
03-28-2008, 11:02 PM
Can you get those prices online for those 2 games? (I need mana)

If you didn't get Mana, let me know.

bcks007
03-29-2008, 04:31 AM
Neither game was online anymore. I also live in smal town, with nothing but 2 grocery stores, so i didn't get a chance to hunt it down in the big city.

You wanna sell me Dawn of Mana? :)

lendelin
03-29-2008, 02:35 PM
Another heads up for cheapskates like me:

This Sunday, March 30th, Circuit City has a 33% discount on all clearance games. (these are all games ending with .96, usually 16.96, 12.96, 8.96, and 4.96) I'm not sure how long this will last, usually 5 days, but it certainly starts this Sunday.

If you kept your receipts and go to CC on Sunday, they'll price adjust the games. This goes for all clearance bin games purchased within the last thirty days.

If you got only one very cheap game it may not be worth the trip considering gas money. However, I spent altogether almost $70 on clearance bin stuff, and I'll get $23 back. My Pro Evolution Soccer 2007 for the 360 was this way only $11.30.

Daria, that means you got actually Odin Sphere and Dawn of Mana for 11.30 which makes the deals sweet. Great prices for these games.

So, after price adjustment the actual prices for clearance games are:

16.96 = 11.36
12.96 = 8.66
8.96 = 6.01
4.96 = 3.33

With those new prices in mind some games might be wortwhile picking up.

lendelin
03-29-2008, 02:36 PM
Neither game was online anymore. I also live in smal town, with nothing but 2 grocery stores, so i didn't get a chance to hunt it down in the big city.

You wanna sell me Dawn of Mana? :)

send a pm.

lendelin
03-31-2008, 09:09 PM
Since Mana Khemia kept the sheduled release date and was indeed released today, I added to the regular list:

Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis. Gust, NIS America, 3/31/08.

Added to the list of Deluxe sets:

08) Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis. The cardboard box contains a mini-poster, a cheat sheet, and a soundtrack CD in a special reversible slip cover. Available only in this special edition and in the 'Premium Box.'

09) Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis. Premium Box. This was an exclusive release from the online retailer 'Rosenqueen.' The oversized "Premium Box" was produced in a limited number of 1000. It is different from the widely available special edition. First, the cardboard box is of different size and cover art. Second, it contains additionally a figurine of the character Jessica. The mini-poster and the soundtrack CD in a special slip cover are identical with the items in the special edition. Available in the special edition and in the 'Premium Box.'

EDIT:

Although I didn't receive my editions yet, I removed from the list the 09) entry about the premium box as an edition variant. Otherwise we have to include so many other titles like Suikoden V or Ar tonelico that came with a specially packaged soundtrack CD as a pre-order package but weren't part of the special sets.

It seems that the Premium Box can't be regarded as an independent edition because the game isn't part of the special packaging; rather, the common cardboard box every retailer offers comes with its entire special content separately with the oversized Premium Box (w figurine). That makes the Premium Box indeed a pre-order item; a valuable item worthwhile to have, but nevertheless nothing more than part of a pre-order package.

lendelin
04-01-2008, 02:13 AM
About the Rosequeen edition of Mana Khemia:

From looking at pictures on ebay I'm still not sure if the regular cardboard box every retailer gets is included in the Rosenqueen edition or not. Let's hope it is so we don't have to pay for the regular box as well.

It seems that the regular box with the game comes separately with the Rosenqueen box. There seems no space available in the Rosenqueen box besides the figurine.

If the game comes indeed separately from the Rosenqueen box in the widely available common retailer box, then we have to doubt if the Rosenqueen edition is an alternative edition at all; or if the oversized box with the figurine is just a pre-order goodie that comes with the game.

As soon as we know for sure I will change the text of the 09) entry if necessary. Probably I have to wait until I get my two editions.

There are already around 30 Premium Boxes offered on ebay!!

For the ones who didn't pre-order the thing I think the best time to get them is in around 4 weeks or when they can be had for under 100. Then dumb expectations of prices around 100 or 200 get the deserved blow -- even a product with a limited production run of 1000 needs a high demand to fetch high prices...but then, you never know.

My guess: they can be had probably for around 80 for some time to come because a lot of them were bought with reselling in mind.

lendelin
04-04-2008, 09:31 PM
Mana Khemia with the figurine bonus item in a box took one week to arrive at my doorsteps after Rosenqueen shipped it. (I ordered one, was charged for one, but got two today -- which is a very nice surprise)

Since I was able to have a a closer look at the content of the regular retail box, I corrected the entry for the game in the deluxe set list:

08) Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis. The cardboard box contains a soundtrack CD in a plastic case with an artwork insert and a CD cover insert. The CD cover insert is a fold-out and double-sided. On one side are two covers for the soundtrack CD, including a weapon stat sheet. The other side of the CD cover insert is a mini poster with game characters. Sold only in the special edition.

I also put pictures up for the box, game, CD, and the sides of the CD covers.

I have to say that Rosenqueen made out of one item (a soundtrack CD) five items to advertise thanks to a cover foldout and reversible sides:

- the CD
- two CD covers
- one weapon stat sheet (which is just part of one of the CD covers)
- a mini-poster

...but actually all of the above is just one Cd cover insert. :) (except for the CD itself)

If you are confused by the description in the list, maybe the pictures are helpful to clear things up.

I like the oversized special box and the figurine, I think it was worthwhile to pay ten dollars more for the bundle set.

Aussie2B
04-04-2008, 11:15 PM
I'm getting a little off topic from the subject of the list, but when you do collectors think will be the best time to pick up the original Persona 3 with FES on the horizon now? Since I skipped out on the original, I plan to get FES, but the collector in me wants to have the original as well, especially considering the deluxe package. FES has already taken a huge hit into the demand for the original, which is helpful for me at least, and I'm trying to use some educated speculation to determine when it'll be at its cheapest - now, immediately after FES's release, or a fair bit later? I suppose it's always possible that FES might stir up some new interest in the original box set, so I don't know. What do you guys think?

Regardless, it's going to be interesting seeing the value the game holds over the long-term.

Daria
04-04-2008, 11:23 PM
What is FES exactly? Is it Persona 3 with some bonus dungeons. Or like a Parallel sequel? Kind of like how there were 2 Persona 2's. I could read up on it I suppose, but whatever. :P

Aussie2B
04-04-2008, 11:32 PM
From my understanding FES is an expansion, except it has the full original game on it in addition to the new content. Supposedly it adds a bunch of gameplay hours and can almost be a semi-sequel since I think the new content expands the game past the original ending. In terms of gameplay, it should entirely replace any need to have the original, short of wanting all the extra goodies in the box. :P

carlcarlson
04-05-2008, 10:10 AM
I'd say Persona 3 will be it's cheapest in the months right after FES is released. That is when most people who look for Persona 3 will realize that FES has a bunch more content, and for about the same price. After all of the "new release" hype has died I think the original will go back up a bit because then the only people looking for it will be collectors looking for the extras. I don't think it will ever get back to where it was awhile ago, but I do think it will go up a little more.

Also, speculating on this kind of thing has proved pretty unsuccessful in the past, so take that for what it's worth.

lendelin
04-06-2008, 03:12 PM
I'm getting a little off topic from the subject of the list, but when you do collectors think will be the best time to pick up the original Persona 3 with FES on the horizon now? Since I skipped out on the original, I plan to get FES, but the collector in me wants to have the original as well, especially considering the deluxe package. FES has already taken a huge hit into the demand for the original, which is helpful for me at least, and I'm trying to use some educated speculation to determine when it'll be at its cheapest - now, immediately after FES's release, or a fair bit later? I suppose it's always possible that FES might stir up some new interest in the original box set, so I don't know. What do you guys think?

Regardless, it's going to be interesting seeing the value the game holds over the long-term.

My advice is wait and be patient to purchase the original special edition. It will become much cheaper after FES is released. First, because FES expands significantly on gameplay content it will be regarded by gamers as the 'superior' Persona 3. Second, most guys interested in the game are not after the box edition like collector's are.

Wait two or 3 months after the FES release, by this time the image of the FES edition will have decreased the price of the original.

To be patient pays off. Look at it this way: you can always pay a ridiculous over-price for a game if it doesn't get cheaper since they usually don't increase in price very fast.

I always set myself a limit of a good and reasonable price, and I just don't buy until the price comes down to my level.

Exceptions apply. The box set for Magna Carta was never on sale, and I waited more than two years to get it for $20. After two years and a half I saw in a GS the box set in perfect new condition but opened and sold used for $30. So I bought it.

As a rule you safe a lot of money if you're patient, and this money buys more games. :) Buy when it is cheap, sell when it is expensive. (Damn, what an insight, today I'm on a roll, I'm tellin' ya)

lendelin
04-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Added to the regular list:

Baroque.* Sting, Atlus, 4/8/08.

The game didn't get a published guide.

This brings the total number of games up to 127. Together with the borderline cases and MMO RPGs the total number is 147.

lendelin
04-09-2008, 12:58 AM
Just a heads up:

Amazon sells SWASHBUCKLERS: BLUE VS. GREY for $9.99, and the game is eligible for free super saver shipping. (=orders over $25) The cheapest price for the game I saw so far.

We put the game in the borderline category, and it is certainly beyond RPG collecting an interesting unique late release for the console.

LINK (http://www.amazon.com/Atari-Swashbucklers/dp/B000RW3V3O/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1207720149&sr=8-1) to Amazon
LINK (http://ps2.ign.com/articles/838/838459p1.html) to the IGN review

lendelin
04-14-2008, 01:22 PM
Another Heads Up:

The edition without the CD of SMT Nocturne is offered by Play Asia for $44.99.

LINK (http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-43-49-en-15-nocturne-50-13-70-bug.html) to Play Asia

I know it's not a bargain price but some of you might bite because

a) it is certainly cheaper than the $80 to $130 range sealed copies for the game go on ebay,

b) it is the non-soundtrack CD version some of you completists might be after.

QUESTION:
I take this opportunity to ask if there is new information about the non-CD version of the game, that means if the non-CD version is a second printing OR of the two versions were offered from the beginning after the games release.

I know that this new offering isn't a second printing because I bought my version w/o the CD almost two years ago new at a Gamecrazy, so this version isn't certainly new.

(I corrected the entry for the game in the list some time ago and emphasized the uncertainty of the version w/o the CD as a second printing)

carlcarlson
04-14-2008, 06:03 PM
I don't think the fact that this version lacks a soundtrack keeps it from being a reprint. In fact, I'd be surprised if it wasn't a reprint. I know that Atlus is supposed to have said they wouldn't do it, but still....

heybtbm
04-14-2008, 06:20 PM
I don't think the fact that this version lacks a soundtrack keeps it from being a reprint. In fact, I'd be surprised if it wasn't a reprint. I know that Atlus is supposed to have said they wouldn't do it, but still....

I'd wager that GQD finally got the go ahead from Atlus. We'll know in a month or two if that was the case. Then there's always the possibility that these could be Hong Kong bootlegs too.

lendelin
04-22-2008, 03:24 PM
Seems that Persona 3 Fes kept its street date. There is no guide that I know of.

Added to the regular list:

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES.* Atlus, Atlus, 4/22/08.

Total: 128

**Dumb Q alert: What does "FES" actually stand for?**

lendelin
04-22-2008, 03:32 PM
I'd wager that GQD finally got the go ahead from Atlus. We'll know in a month or two if that was the case. Then there's always the possibility that these could be Hong Kong bootlegs too.

So there is no new information if the version of SMT Nocturne w/o the CD was offered from the beginning? If Atlus says that was not a reprint, then the version I got around 18 months ago is just a variant offered by Atlus.

One thing is for sure: The non-CD version was released some time after the original release because it doesn't have the security strip, and I've never seen the non-CD version with the security strip.

Just asking because the uncertainty in the list irks me....and you were right pointing out that someting shouldn't be called a second printing unless it is 'official' or unofficilally confirmed 100%.

bcks007
04-22-2008, 05:51 PM
FES
Final Edition sequel

Just my guess, prolly wrong. :angel:

oremites
04-22-2008, 08:46 PM
FES is short for Festival. I don't know anything more than that.

On the atlus website, look in their forums at the Reprint topic under Nocturne. A site admin was among those commenting. He was a little vague, and I do wish they would be more open about what is going there, but I get out of the comments that there was definitely a reprint.

lendelin
05-02-2008, 02:36 AM
Just a heads up:

Amazon sells Dawn of Mana for $19.99.

LINK (http://www.amazon.com/Square-Enix-Dawn-of-Mana/dp/B000NGQ26C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1209713331&sr=1-1)

Not as good as the recent CC deal, but still decent.

gepeto
05-03-2008, 08:44 AM
I need a little help here. I was at an out of the area gamestop yesterday and I noticed a rpg for 19.99 used by I think made or publiushed by uto or ufo. It looked recent.
It looked old school. I was planning on seeing if they had it local for the by 2 get 1 but I forgot the name. of it.

Aussie2B
05-03-2008, 10:36 AM
You talking about Heavenly Guardian? It's not an RPG. It's an arcade-style action adventure kind of game, like Pocky & Rocky.

gepeto
05-03-2008, 12:34 PM
You talking about Heavenly Guardian? It's not an RPG. It's an arcade-style action adventure kind of game, like Pocky & Rocky.

Thanks it was 10 minutes to close I couldn't study it well. I couldn't find it today so I was going to go back before the sale ends. Saved me the trip.

gepeto
05-03-2008, 02:12 PM
the rpg list for the ps2 is impressive. Considering getting an rpg use to be a treat whether good or bad. The psp seems to have a bevy of ones as well. NIS of america has really stepped up. Opps I thought it was an edit. I would like a remake or handheld dragon force.

lendelin
05-28-2008, 02:02 PM
HEADS UP:

ODIN SPHERE (new) will be sold by Gamestop/EB Games for $20 starting June 2nd ("Gamedays Sale").

A full list of the games can be found in the stickied thread 'Daily Deals and Discounts' under 'Gamestop Gameday Sale' started by GrandAmChandler. There you will also find a link to a ten percent coupon for the games on sale or (if you subscribed to GameInformer) the coupon is on page 37 of the most recent GameInformer.

Certainly not a ten dollar deal, but $18 (with coupon) for a game that is sold at most places for $40 is a decent deal.

Like last year it seems that the stores got plenty of stock for this sale and they will be put on shelves not earlier than June 2nd.

NEWS:

After multiple delays, CHAOS WARS, a GS/EB Games exclusive ($40) seems to keep its street date (beginning of June). GS/EB Games online has it already listed in stock and ready to ship.

lendelin
06-02-2008, 09:06 PM
Chaos Wars kept its street date. Added to the regular list:

Chaos Wars.* Idea Factory, 0~3 Entertainment, 6/3/08.

I made a slight change to the entries in the deluxe set list for Ar Tonelico and SMT Digital Devil Saga since both were originally only sold in the deluxe sets but got a reprint sold as stand-alone games.

MarkMan
06-08-2008, 07:15 AM
Is it me or is Chaos Wars a bit hard to find at GS stores?

I checked 4 stores in my area (San Diego) and they either got 1 or 2 copies in.

lendelin
06-09-2008, 12:57 AM
Is it me or is Chaos Wars a bit hard to find at GS stores?

I checked 4 stores in my area (San Diego) and they either got 1 or 2 copies in.

I did something I usually don't do...I pre-ordered my copy (yes, I'm ashamed of it) because it is a GS/EBG exclusive and becasue it is a very late release for the PS2.

Two or three copies per store is probably realistic for the game. It is a niche game for an "older" system; but that doesn't mean it is hard to get, the demand for the game isn't very high.

Electric Blue
06-09-2008, 01:05 AM
I did something I usually don't do...I pre-ordered my copy (yes, I'm ashamed of it) because it is a GS/EBG exclusive and becasue it is a very late release for the PS2.

Two or three copies per store is probably realistic for the game. It is a niche game for an "older" system; but that doesn't mean it is hard to get, the demand for the game isn't very high.

I think demand was higher than they anticipated, it was OOS online for awhile.

lendelin
06-10-2008, 12:08 PM
I think demand was higher than they anticipated, it was OOS online for awhile.

Sometimes that happens at Gamestop; when pre-orders are fulfilled, games are not available temporarily online. So far the game is in stock online for two weeks now.

If this game will be hard to get 6 months from now, we just can't be sure. We don't know the exact print run, and we crtainly can't predict the demand.

Surprises are a plenty and the demand for a game is uncertain. Noone predicted Nocturne to be pricey (although there were speculations about it, and I suspected it too), noone thought SMT Digital Devil Saga would be so high in demand, the same goes for Suikoden, Rhapsody, and to stray into other genres Ace Combat Zero wasn't expected to get temporarily such a high price increase based on demand. You just never know although I admit that there are a lot of factors in the case of Chaos Wars which might bring up the price in the future.

lendelin
06-10-2008, 12:11 PM
I don't know about more scheduled releases for the PS2. Could it be that Chaos Wars is the last RPG for the PS2???

carlcarlson
06-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Didn't I hear that Persona 4 was still going to be released for the PS2?

oremites
06-10-2008, 02:18 PM
I don't know about more scheduled releases for the PS2. Could it be that Chaos Wars is the last RPG for the PS2???
Agetec is releasing a game this month called "Falling Stars" that is supposed to be an RPG. I don't know anything about it, though.

Atlus will be releasing "Dokapon Kingdom" in October. It's described as a board/party/RPG game, so it doesn't sound like something I'd consider a real RPG.

lendelin
06-11-2008, 09:27 PM
carlcarlson and oremites, you are correct.

Persona 4 will be released for the PS2 in Japan in July. No word yet about an American release. But my guess is it will be released in America as well with so many PS2 systems out there and the popularity of the series.

Falling Stars seems to be an RPG aimed at children and is also a PC game. IGN gives a release date of June 17th. LINK to IGN (http://ps2.ign.com/objects/142/14217316.html).

...and, yep, Dokapon Kingdom published by Atlus and also on the Wii, seems to be a mix of RPG elements and multiplayer board games. Probably won't qualify as an RPG or for the borderline category...we'll see. LINK to IGN (http://ps2.ign.com/articles/878/878735p1.html).

Thanks for the heads up, guys.

Daria
06-11-2008, 09:30 PM
Falling Stars seems to be an RPG aimed at children and is also a PC game. IGN gives a release date of June 17th. LINK to IGN (http://ps2.ign.com/objects/142/14217316.html).

Dude that looks terrible...

I want to play it!

lendelin
06-11-2008, 09:47 PM
Dude that looks terrible...

I want to play it!

LOL...bad games are irresistible.

Mason P.
06-13-2008, 09:21 AM
I have called 8 Gamestops and not one has a factory sealed copy. only a couple of them have 1 gutted copy.

EDIT: After continuing to look, I did fid one store that had one sealed copy. I made it mine. :)

lendelin
07-09-2008, 04:20 PM
Just a heads-up:

Amazon sells Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne for $30 shipped. It is the reprinted edition w/o the soundtrack CD. LINK (http://www.amazon.com/Atlus-USA-Shin-Megami-Tensei/dp/B00024W1U6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1215637944&sr=1-1)

btw, the eagerly awaited RPG Falling Stars got delayed to August 8th. A disappointment for sure. (sorry, Daria)

Nate Nanjo
07-14-2008, 08:02 AM
Hey, Persona 4 has a December release date.

lendelin
07-14-2008, 01:38 PM
Indeed, Atlus announced Persona 4 for the PS2. Release date is December 9th. Price: $39.99. Included is a soundtrack CD.

lendelin
07-24-2008, 12:42 AM
At the end of the OP I put up pictures of the regular cases with extra content. It makes life easier when you buy used games and want to make sure that the extra items are in the case.

In particular for the games with two versions the visual help is useful since in most cases the front covers are identical and only on the back covers the extra content is mentioned in small print. Besides, I know a lot of you are just curious to know how the Digimon Card from Digimon World 4 looks. :)

However, I'm missing scans from some variants. If someone of you could provide scans of the following items I would aprreciate it very much. Just send me a PM so for the sake of completeness the picture list can be finished.

1) the trading card from Inuyasha: The Cursed Mask, and also a better scan from the back cover of the game with the card.

2) the lenticular special cover (removeable) from Xenosaga III.

EDIT: A big thanks to koster who provided scans for the back cover of Nocturne with the CD and scans of the soundtrack CD! I uploaded his pictures and mine in the picture section.

bcks007
07-24-2008, 04:23 AM
lendelin,

In your bragging thread as you called it, did you know you have a picture of Sega Classics Collection, and not Sega Genesis Collection. LOL

For the new case pictures you put up, look closely at Fullmetal Alchemist 2: Curse of the Crimson Elixir disc. There is something "french" about it. See it? Might want to find a new picture for that, since this thread is for american releases. :p

If you bought that game used, the disc and the case do not seem to match up btw. I'm not sure if those pictures where from your personal collection, or just pictures you had.

If you do own that F-disc, for FMA2, could you tell me the PDSS number? I wanna compare it to the normal number.

lendelin
07-24-2008, 11:41 AM
double post

lendelin
07-24-2008, 11:42 AM
lendelin,

In your bragging thread as you called it, did you know you have a picture of Sega Classics Collection, and not Sega Genesis Collection. LOL

You're right! I will correct it. Thanks! Dang, not only did you look at the old thread, you also have the eyes of a hawk ... which is further proven by the following...

For the new case pictures you put up, look closely at Fullmetal Alchemist 2: Curse of the Crimson Elixir disc. There is something "french" about it. See it? Might want to find a new picture for that, since this thread is for american releases. :p

I should have known it! :) Once I tried to cheat a bit and I immediately was caught.

I have the game sealed and didn't want to open it. So I scanned the front cover and back cover, but online I could only find pictures of the Canadian release (?) for the Bonus DVD and game disc. Since the DVD is identical to the American release and the extra items are the important ones to be pictured (the game disc is just a space filler), I indeed cheated. I noticed the F in the SLUS number but I thought who will notice it anyway. I should have known that YOU will notice it. :)

I'll correct it as soon as I get good scans of the game disc and DVD. Promise! btw, there are only a few (5) pics I I obtained from online, and they are all correct (American releases) and pretty good quality. To get pics online of the rather obscure extra items like cards or sticker sheets is impossible anyway, and the RPG list is the only one where you can find them.

So I can't give you the PDSS number on the Fullmetal 2 disc. Just out of curiosity and lack of knowledge: what is the meaning of the PDSS numbers, and in which way are they important for collecting?

Oobgarm
07-24-2008, 11:50 AM
Just out of curiosity and lack of knowledge: what is the meaning of the PDSS numbers, and in which way are they important for collecting?

They are the identifying numbers for each individual disc revision, if I'm not mistaken. I'm actually not 100% sure, as I've not done a lot of looking into the PDSS numbers, since there's no field for it in the guide...

lendelin
07-24-2008, 01:50 PM
They are the identifying numbers for each individual disc revision, if I'm not mistaken. I'm actually not 100% sure, as I've not done a lot of looking into the PDSS numbers, since there's no field for it in the guide...

Thanks! I wonder how important they are for collecting. The SLUS numbers are obvious, but I have no idea about the PDSS numbers.

IMPORTANT: Still need scans for the following items:

1) the trading card from Inuyasha: The Cursed Mask, and also a better scan from the back cover of the game with the card.

2) the lenticular special cover (removeable) from Xenosaga III.

pooch
07-25-2008, 01:11 AM
First off, awesome list!

When I was browsing for a list like this, I remember finding one in the playstation forum on the official playstation site. Do you know the list I am referring to? Have you compared yours to it before as I remember they have more games but perhaps their definition of RPG is wider. I can dig up the thread if you want me to.

lendelin
07-25-2008, 11:32 PM
First off, awesome list!

When I was browsing for a list like this, I remember finding one in the playstation forum on the official playstation site. Do you know the list I am referring to? Have you compared yours to it before as I remember they have more games but perhaps their definition of RPG is wider. I can dig up the thread if you want me to.

Before I started the thread I looked around for useful lists at some sites, and about a year ago again to check if there is a better list than this one around.

I can't remember if I checked the list you mentioned. Would be great if you could put up the link to the thread so I can compare it.

lendelin
07-25-2008, 11:39 PM
It irks me that there is a small detail missing for the list of the regular cases with extra content. If a game had two versions I mentioned if the SLUS numbers were identical or different.

I don't have this information about SMT Nocturne. The SLUS number for the version without the soundtrack CD is 20911. Could someone of you check the SLUS number for the common version WITH the CD if they are identical?

lendelin
07-26-2008, 12:06 AM
I noticed that the only deluxe edition with different cover art for the case, disc and manual than the standard version has also a completely(!) different SLUS number.

Final Fantasy XII standard version has the SLUS number 20963, and the special edition has 21475. I made a note in the list.

For the sake of reliability and consistency, can someone check the SLUS numbers for the REPRINTS of AR TONELICO and SMT DIGITAL DEVIL SAGA?

I have only the original releases. Ar Tonelico has the SLUS number 21445P (maybe the reprint is without the P) and SMT Digital Devil Saga has the SLUS number 20974.

When checking make sure that you purchased the more recent reprints of the games.

carlcarlson
07-26-2008, 09:54 AM
I don't have this information about SMT Nocturne. The SLUS number for the version without the soundtrack CD is 20911. Could someone of you check the SLUS number for the common version WITH the CD if they are identical?

The SLUS for my version (with soundtrack) is 20911 also.

lendelin
07-26-2008, 01:23 PM
The SLUS for my version (with soundtrack) is 20911 also.

Thanks so much! I added to the list that the SLUS number for both versions is the same.

lendelin
07-30-2008, 01:56 PM
For the special lists I added the SLUS numbers for each game since they were mentioned already for the games with two versions.

I made notes about something which was new to me.

For the games in deluxe sets:

Note: The letters ‘P’ (for Premium) and ‘S’ (for Special) in a SLUS number are printed on the packaging only. The SLUS number on the game case and on the game disc does not contain these letters.

For the games in regular cases with extra content:

Note: The letters ‘P’ (for Premium) and ‘S’ (for Special) in a SLUS number are printed on the game case only. The SLUS number on the game disc does not contain these letters.

...which takes care of the question if the reprint of Ar tonelico retained the additional P in the SLUS since the actual game case in the set doesn't show it in the first place.

Hope the additions of the SLUS numbers are helpful.

btw, Falling Stars is scheduled for August 19th, price $14.99. Amazon takes pre-orders already. (not that I recommend buying it for this price)

...and just out of curiosity: I noticed that the two WD disc-labels for Growlanser Generations have at least two variants for each disc. The SLUS numbers on the discs have an additional A and B at the end. Are those referring to the variants of the disc label?

bcks007
07-31-2008, 03:50 AM
I think so. Gungriffon Blaze and Silpheed: The Lost Planet, for the ps2, both have 2 variants for the discs. At least i think there is only 2.

I believe someone told me that the discs are always the same for Growlanser Generations, and always the same for Growlanser Generations Deluxe Pack. So the "A" discs will always be in one set, and the "B" discs will always be in the other set. I have no idea if this is true or not, just going by what someone told me.-_-

pooch
08-05-2008, 02:50 AM
Here you go, I think this is the list that I found sometime ago, seems like your list is much more update than this one:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=rpg&thread.id=345670

oremites
08-08-2008, 11:21 PM
A lot of PS2 RPG news lately:

Eternal Poison, an SRPG, to be released by Atlus in November
Ar Tonelico 2 officially announced for December
Disgaea and Odin Sphere set for Greatest Hits releases.

The PS2 has a lot of life left in her yet.

dao2
08-08-2008, 11:57 PM
I think mana khemia 2 got released ><

Aussie2B
08-09-2008, 07:29 PM
I'm really amazed that Atlus and NISA and others are still cranking out localizations for PS2 RPGs. I guess they figure that their fan bases are so insanely dedicated that they'll keep buying every game at launch now matter how outdated the games and hardware may get (it doesn't help that the fans are convinced that every Atlus and NIS RPG will be worth big bucks down the road, if even it's already been proven to be a complete myth). I honestly thought that Chaos Wars would be about it. While there are a few that are multi-platform like Baroque and Dokapon Kingdom, there are still plenty of PS2 exclusives lined up.

oremites
08-10-2008, 12:23 PM
I'm really amazed that Atlus and NISA and others are still cranking out localizations for PS2 RPGs. I guess they figure that their fan bases are so insanely dedicated that they'll keep buying every game at launch now matter how outdated the games and hardware may get (it doesn't help that the fans are convinced that every Atlus and NIS RPG will be worth big bucks down the road, if even it's already been proven to be a complete myth). I honestly thought that Chaos Wars would be about it. While there are a few that are multi-platform like Baroque and Dokapon Kingdom, there are still plenty of PS2 exclusives lined up.
There are still people out there besides fanboys and speculators who are glad to see PS2 games being released. I only have a PS2 and am completely happy with it. Video games are just a hobby and there are plenty of good to great PS2 games that I haven't played yet (and they're cheap now too). I'm still having a great time so why should I feel compelled to rush out and spend hundreds on a new console and games just because my system is "outdated."

Don't get me wrong, there are good reasons for people to upgrade to the current console gen and I'm not saying people are wrong to do it. It's just that none of those reason apply to me, and I imagine there are plenty of other people in the same situation. I'm sure I'll upgrade someday. Probably when my TV goes out and I finally get around to getting an HDTV.

dao2
08-10-2008, 12:40 PM

RPGs are one of the last games that are about graphics, and the style that they bring to the PS2 (sprite clones) look awesome. Not to mention about 10x better then the shit that comes out on next-gen consoles. Even if they are like 50 pixels at least the guys look like guys not girls ;p

Aussie2B
08-10-2008, 08:25 PM
I never said there's anything wrong with supporting the older systems or that I'm not happy about the fact that the PS2 is still getting exclusives. I think it's absolutely wonderful that these companies are localizing really obscure stuff that would've never left Japan in any previous generation. I'm actually buying more of these late releases than I have with the earlier releases, since I know they're more likely to be rare and become expensive down the road. My only point is that the fervent, rabid fan base is absolutely 100% the reason why these companies think it's still profitable to localize PS2 RPGs this late into the game. They know their fan base will buy absolutely anything without even doing any research on a game just because it says "Atlus" or "NIS America" on the cover, and the foolish speculators help business even more. I do take some issue with that since lapping up anything and everything these companies dish out will only be detrimental to the advancement of the genre, as even sub-par games will get decent sales. I mean, I love 2D graphics, but most 2D RPGs on the PS2 look pathetic. The hardware is capable of so much more, but the developers know that the fans are complacent and putting in any more than minimal effort is totally unnecessary. The players should demand more for the developers in order to give them the sense that they need to strive for increasing greatness in each project, and not just in graphics but in all regards. At this rate, they're just going to crank out the exact same cookie-cutter RPGs year after year. Just look how fast they're releasing those Atelier Iris games.

oremites
08-11-2008, 06:09 PM
Aussie2B, your point about companies shoveling out crap because people keep buying it is valid, but that's pretty much true about any product you can name. I don't think that's going to change.

About the Atlus/NIS localizations - maybe it's just the case that some people like those kinds of games more than you do. People who enjoy a particular genre of games/books/movies/music/whatever can enjoy different variations on the same theme even if the games/etc. aren't all great and even if, to someone not "into" that genre, they all seem the same.

I would guess at this point that we're not going to see any ground-breaking titles on the PS2. The best we can hope for are localizations of lesser games which will be fun to try out. I don't pay attention to what goes on in the Japanese gaming world. Does anybody know if there are any top tier games that never made it over here, but still might?

Aussie2B
08-13-2008, 04:44 AM
I don't think it's a matter of shoveling out crap since I feel the stuff Atlus and Nippon Ichi localize is usually at least competent. It's more a matter of the developers putting in simply the bare minimum amount of effort into each subsequent release. And then the fans reinforce that by rushing to buy the games on day one without so much as waiting to get any impressions on the game, and then salivating over each mediocre release just as much as the titles that do deserve such attention.

It's got nothing to do with me not liking the genre either because I adore RPGs and play them predominantly. I love Atlus and Nippon Ichi, and I can have fun with just about any of their games, even if they don't leave a lasting impact. However, I think I've been playing RPGs long enough to realize that plenty of them aren't remarkable in any shape or form and don't deserve the praise and the sales that they get from young kids that are so closed-minded about games that they won't play anything that's not an RPG and will thusly worship any and every RPG that comes out. If I can tell that a game from the aforementioned companies is great, I'll buy it at the full MSRP, like Etrian Odyssey and Person 3: FES, but the other stuff doesn't warrant a pre-order. I'll buy used or on clearance for those.

lendelin
08-25-2008, 08:26 PM
I believe someone told me that the discs are always the same for Growlanser Generations, and always the same for Growlanser Generations Deluxe Pack. So the "A" discs will always be in one set, and the "B" discs will always be in the other set. I have no idea if this is true or not, just going by what someone told me.-_-

I have pics of the label variants, and we should clear that up sometime -- otherwise the statement in the list that the game (Growlanser Generations) in the deluxe pack is identical to the standrad version is wrong and needs to be corrected.

btw, I replaced the pic for Sega Classics Collection in my bragging rights thread with the correct pic of the Sega Genesis Collection. :) as seen here LINK (http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113388)

lendelin
08-25-2008, 08:34 PM
Here you go, I think this is the list that I found sometime ago, seems like your list is much more update than this one:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=rpg&thread.id=345670

Good list, thanks for the link! -- but nothing we missed and there are inconsistencies and some dates wrong, but not a bad list at all. I'm glad that our list is still the best, most informative, and most reliable out there.

lendelin
08-25-2008, 08:44 PM
I don't think it's a matter of shoveling out crap since I feel the stuff Atlus and Nippon Ichi localize is usually at least competent. It's more a matter of the developers putting in simply the bare minimum amount of effort into each subsequent release. And then the fans reinforce that by rushing to buy the games on day one without so much as waiting to get any impressions on the game, and then salivating over each mediocre release just as much as the titles that do deserve such attention.

It's got nothing to do with me not liking the genre either because I adore RPGs and play them predominantly. I love Atlus and Nippon Ichi, and I can have fun with just about any of their games, even if they don't leave a lasting impact. However, I think I've been playing RPGs long enough to realize that plenty of them aren't remarkable in any shape or form and don't deserve the praise and the sales that they get from young kids that are so closed-minded about games that they won't play anything that's not an RPG and will thusly worship any and every RPG that comes out. If I can tell that a game from the aforementioned companies is great, I'll buy it at the full MSRP, like Etrian Odyssey and Person 3: FES, but the other stuff doesn't warrant a pre-order. I'll buy used or on clearance for those.

I think you are both right. There is nothing wrong with late releases for a system because even some cheap B-Titles are sometimes surprises and turn out decent to good games, and certainly there is nothing wrong with having options in a game library. On the other hand these are mostly cheap titles in price and quality, and the good games (like Disgaea 3) switch to the newer consoles.

...and noone anyway complained about Persona 4 getting a late release. :)

Overall I think the RPGs we got in 2008 and the ones still scheduled are pretty impressive for late releases of a last gen console.

Here are the games I know of sheduled for the PS2:

Eternal Poison (November, includes soundtrack CD, a strategy RPG published by Atlus)
Ar Tonelico 2 (December)
SMT Persona 4 (December, includes soundtrack CD)

lendelin
08-25-2008, 08:49 PM
I added to the regular list:

Shepherd’s Crossing.* Success, Valcon Games, 8/19/08.
Falling Stars.* Ivolgamus, Agetec, 8/26/08.

Shepherd's Crossing was released already last week and flew completely under the radar. Until today I didn't know about it. It seems to be a cute Harvest Moon clone. Like Falling Stars (released tomorrow) it is sold for $14.99. No guides for both games.

...btw, does someone know if Persona 4 will get a guide from Doublejump?

lendelin
08-25-2008, 09:04 PM
A lot of PS2 RPG news lately:

Eternal Poison, an SRPG, to be released by Atlus in November
Ar Tonelico 2 officially announced for December
Disgaea and Odin Sphere set for Greatest Hits releases.

The PS2 has a lot of life left in her yet.

Thanks so much for the heads up! I didn't know that Odin Sphere and Disgaea are scheduled for a Greatest Hits release.

After FIVE (!) years of its release Disgaea will become a Greatest Hits title, a surprise for sure. This policy doesn't make sense to me.

bcks007
08-29-2008, 03:33 AM
lendelin, did you get Shepherd’s Crossing already? If so, i would love to know the slus for it please.

For those 2 new GH games coming out, i also heard that Okami and Maximo vs. Army of Zin, will also be a GH on or around the same time both those other 2 GH games come out. I guess i should do some fact checking, just going off what the word was when news of disgaea and odin spread around.
Maximo vs. Army of Zin is pretty old too.

bcks007
09-05-2008, 06:10 AM
lendelin, I noticed from your topic for all the ps2 rpgs you own, that the The Legend of Alon D'ar was a tad different then i had seen before. Is that a sticker on the case? or is that on the plastic if its still sealed? If its not a sticker, is it part of the artwork? This is a game i don't own yet, so im just making sure it doesn't have variants. Also what does the yellow circle thing say?

Also i didn't see any pictures for,
Arc the Lad: End of Darkness,
Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits,
Baroque,
Falling Stars,
Innocent Life: A Futuristic Harvest Moon. Special Edition,
Romancing SaGa,
Shepherd’s Crossing,
Unlimited Saga.

Plus, .hack//G.U. Vol. 1//Rebirth, and Growlanser: Generations, the normal versions.

bcks007
09-13-2008, 01:16 AM
lendelin, did you die? :p

I went to a few stores today, and saw greatest hits for Okami, Maximo vs. Army of Zin, and Disgaea... :) Still did not see Odin Sphere (GH) yet. I almost bought disgaea and okami (GH), but instead went with a few cheap ps2 games and Yakuza 2. :)

LiquidPolicenaut
09-13-2008, 09:32 AM
Well, apparently, we can add one more game to this list...Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. According to The MagicBox, Square Enix decided to finally release the game here in the US and it will be released Q4 2008. I've always wanted to play the 3D remake of this but was losing hope that it would ever be released here. Thank you SE! I now have this and Persona 4 to play through in December :)

lendelin
09-14-2008, 06:17 AM
:moon:

I went to a few stores today, and saw greatest hits for Okami, Maximo vs. Army of Zin, and Disgaea... :) Still did not see Odin Sphere (GH) yet. I almost bought disgaea and okami (GH), but instead went with a few cheap ps2 games and Yakuza 2. :)

Sorry to respond so late but I'm out of the country (in Germany, at home where I enjoy very much long missed GERMAN FOOD :) ) I'll answer the questions when I'm back in a couple of days.... btw I have Shepherd's Crossing and Falling Stars)

lendelin
09-18-2008, 05:02 AM

Added to the Greatest Hits list:

Disgaea: Hour of Darkness

Let me know when you see the GH version of Odin Sphere...unfortunately Sony doesn't update their official GH list anymore for some time now

lendelin
09-18-2008, 05:08 AM
lendelin, did you get Shepherd’s Crossing already? If so, i would love to know the slus for it please.

I'm back stuffed like a Turkey with good German food. :)

The SLUS for Shepherd's Crossing is 21798; for Falling Stars it is 21734.

lendelin
09-18-2008, 05:41 AM
lendelin, I noticed from your topic for all the ps2 rpgs you own, that the The Legend of Alon D'ar was a tad different then i had seen before. Is that a sticker on the case? or is that on the plastic if its still sealed? If its not a sticker, is it part of the artwork? This is a game i don't own yet, so im just making sure it doesn't have variants. Also what does the yellow circle thing say?

I bought it used and the sticker is on the case, not on the shrinkwrap. It is not a variant. Usually I remove stickers; but this one 'belongs' to the game from the publisher Ubisoft and for the sake of authenticity I left it on the case.

The sticker says "RPG Giveaway!" and I suspect every game had it because it refers to a foldout ad in the case. The ad is a 'buy 2, get 1 free' deal. If you bought two games from the three titles Grandia II, Jade Cocoon 2, or Alon d'Ar, you got the third one for free by sending in a proof of purchase.

If the other two titles had it I can't say for sure since I bought them used. I checked my copies and none of them had the sticker or the ad in the case.

Also i didn't see any pictures for,
Arc the Lad: End of Darkness,
Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits,
Baroque,
Falling Stars,
Innocent Life: A Futuristic Harvest Moon. Special Edition,
Romancing SaGa,
Shepherd’s Crossing,
Unlimited Saga.

Plus, .hack//G.U. Vol. 1//Rebirth, and Growlanser: Generations, the normal versions.

I didn't purchase yet Baroque and Innocent Life. I have Falling Stars and Shepherd's Crossing but didn't post the pics yet; but all the other games are there.

dot hack doesn't have a standard version. The game in the deluxe set is identical with the standard version; therefore I didn't post a pic of the game case. (the only game in a deluxe set different from the standard version is FF XII, if you have the deluxe sets for the other titles you don't need to bother with another purchase)

We have to clear up Growlanser Generations. If the labels of the two discs are different and exclusive to the stand-alone game and the game in the set then we'd have indeed two versions for this game. I'll post pics of the labels soon and maybe we can answer this question.

lendelin
09-18-2008, 05:54 AM
Well, apparently, we can add one more game to this list...Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. According to The MagicBox, Square Enix decided to finally release the game here in the US and it will be released Q4 2008. I've always wanted to play the 3D remake of this but was losing hope that it would ever be released here. Thank you SE! I now have this and Persona 4 to play through in December :)

Thanks for the heads up!

Update of upcoming releases:

Eternal Poison (November, includes soundtrack CD, a strategy RPG)
Ar Tonelico 2 (December)
SMT Persona 4 (December, includes soundtrack CD)
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories

Oobgarm
09-18-2008, 09:02 AM
Let me know when you see the GH version of Odin Sphere...unfortunately Sony doesn't update their official GH list anymore for some time now

Go ahead and add it. We got some at Best Buy, streeted for 9/11 for some reason. I didn't know they were streeting their GH re-releases.

lendelin
09-18-2008, 12:52 PM
Go ahead and add it. We got some at Best Buy, streeted for 9/11 for some reason. I didn't know they were streeting their GH re-releases.

Thanks for the heads up! I added Odin Sphere to the GH list. Could you confirm the SLUS number (21577GH) since I don't have the GH version?

Oobgarm
09-19-2008, 05:12 AM
Yep. One of the first things I looked at, actually.

lendelin
10-06-2008, 08:00 PM
Interesting: Mana Khemia will be re-released as a stand-alone game on October 28. Amazon presents it as a new release. (seen here Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Mana-Khemia-Alchemists-Al-Revis-Playstation-2/dp/B001E7MMOK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1223340065&sr=1-5)) I'll make a note of that in the list for deluxe sets.

As a rehash - these titles will come out in November and December:

Eternal Poison. Flight-Plan, Atlus, 11/11/08.
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4. Atlus, Atlus, 12/9/08.
Ar Tonelico 2: Melody of Metafalica. Gust, NIS America, 12/9/08.

Each of them comes with a soundtrack CD. Ar Tonelico 2 has additionally an artbook. All of them seem to be sold in regular cases.

Pre-order bonus items are offered by Rosenqueen for Ar Tonelico 2 (additional soundtrack CD and additional artbook) and by Amazon for Eternal Poison (artbook).

So far I haven't seen guides for these games. While SMT Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 didn't receive a guide, Devil Summoner, Nocturne, and Persona 3 got guides from Doublejump. There is no scheduled guide for Persona 4.

lendelin
10-08-2008, 12:58 PM
Just a heads up.

Baroque for the PS2 is sold by Amazon (Deal of the Day) for $16.98. The Wii version goes for the same price.

LINK (http://www.amazon.com/Baroque-Playstation-2/dp/B0011GBJO8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1223488525&sr=1-2)

Might be a general price drop to $20. If you can find it at Gamestop used and use the 20% coupon plus 10% edge card it is even cheaper.

...but $17 for a new game of this kind is certainly a good deal.

Press_Start
10-08-2008, 01:13 PM
As a rehash - these titles will come out in November and December:

Eternal Poison. Flight-Plan, Atlus, 11/11/08.
Ar Tonelico 2: Melody of Metafalica. Gust, NIS America, 12/9/08.

Each of them comes with a soundtrack CD. Ar Tonelico 2 has additionally an artbook. All of them seem to be sold in regular cases.

Pre-order bonus items are offered by Rosenqueen for Ar Tonelico 2 (additional soundtrack CD and additional artbook) and by Amazon for Eternal Poison (artbook).

Interesting. Are they pre-order offers available at GameStop? Or are the bonuses given by these websites only?

Links would be appreciated. Thanks ;)

Aussie2B
10-08-2008, 02:29 PM
Eternal Poison and Persona 4 both have soundtracks and artbooks. The CDs are in the packages, while the artbooks are pre-order bonuses. Atlus says the bonuses are available from Amazon, GameStop/EB, and Game Crazy.

With Ar Tonelico, you get a CD and artbook in the packaging, but you can get an extra soundtrack from Rosenqueen. Rosenqueen is the only option for that one. They say it's limited to so-so copies, so if you want it, sooner would probably be better than later. I assume the soundtrack is just some item previously available to Japanese consumers. Kinda silly having two soundtracks, though. I don't know why they can't just make one album with all the tracks from the game.

Thanks for the heads up on Baroque, I think I may go for that.

EDIT: The PS2 version of Baroque is showing up as $34.99 for me. o_O Maybe they already blew through however many they were offering at the discount?

lendelin
10-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Eternal Poison and Persona 4 both have soundtracks and artbooks. The CDs are in the packages, while the artbooks are pre-order bonuses. Atlus says the bonuses are available from Amazon, GameStop/EB, and Game Crazy.

Yep, the three games come all standard with soundtrack CDs, and Ar Tonelico 2 comes standard with an additional artbooklet. (probably just in the regular case)

With Ar Tonelico, you get a CD and artbook in the packaging, but you can get an extra soundtrack from Rosenqueen. Rosenqueen is the only option for that one. They say it's limited to so-so copies, so if you want it, sooner would probably be better than later. I assume the soundtrack is just some item previously available to Japanese consumers. Kinda silly having two soundtracks, though. I don't know why they can't just make one album with all the tracks from the game.

As I understood the Rosenqueen pre-order bonus items for Ar Tonelico 2 include an additional soundtrack (I agree, kinda silly to have two soundtracks), but I also thought it comes with an additional artbooklet besides the standard one...which would make it two soundtracks and two artbooklets.

LINK ROSENQUEEN (http://www.rosenqueen.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=271&HS=1)

Quote Rosenqueen: "12 pages of full color art booklet that aren't in Official Art Collection."

Is that a separate artbook? or an extended version of the artbook in the game? or even on the CD? When I read these pre-order stuff I feel like an idiot. :) Either I don't understand it, or they are intentionally vague in order to boost sales.

If someone gets TWO soundtracks and TWO artbooklets it certainly saves the trip to a symphony or the Chicago Art Museum. :)

Thanks for the heads up on Baroque, I think I may go for that.

EDIT: The PS2 version of Baroque is showing up as $34.99 for me. o_O Maybe they already blew through however many they were offering at the discount?

Sorry you missed it. But it might come back even a bit cheaper in a couple of days or weeks. I missed Innocent Life for $17 from Amazon, but I'm sure that one will be offered for the same price again soon.

lendelin
10-09-2008, 01:56 PM
Interesting. Are they pre-order offers available at GameStop? Or are the bonuses given by these websites only?

Links would be appreciated. Thanks ;)

For the link to Rosenqueen (Ar Tonelico 2) see post above, and here is the link to Amazon's pre-order for Eternal Poison:LINK (http://www.amazon.com/Eternal-Poison-Playstation-2/dp/B001DT8FUE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1223576288&sr=1-1)

lendelin
10-11-2008, 05:26 AM
Just an update of the scheduled releases for this year:

I thought the GBA remake of Kingdom Hearts will be released in 2009, but Amazon and IGN have a release date of December 2.

Besides Eternal Poison, Ar Tonelico 2 and SMT Persona 4 we'll get also this year

Kingdom Hearts RE: Chain of Memories. Square Enix, Square Enix, 12/2/08.

Slowly I really think the RPG floodgates for the PS2 will never close. :)

slip81
10-11-2008, 06:13 AM
Do we have a "best of" list for PS2 RPGs yet floating around here?

Aussie2B
10-11-2008, 11:34 AM
As I understood the Rosenqueen pre-order bonus items for Ar Tonelico 2 include an additional soundtrack (I agree, kinda silly to have two soundtracks), but I also thought it comes with an additional artbooklet besides the standard one...which would make it two soundtracks and two artbooklets.

LINK ROSENQUEEN (http://www.rosenqueen.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=271&HS=1)

Quote Rosenqueen: "12 pages of full color art booklet that aren't in Official Art Collection."

Is that a separate artbook? or an extended version of the artbook in the game? or even on the CD? When I read these pre-order stuff I feel like an idiot. :) Either I don't understand it, or they are intentionally vague in order to boost sales.

If someone gets TWO soundtracks and TWO artbooklets it certainly saves the trip to a symphony or the Chicago Art Museum. :)

Sounds to me that they're talking about the insert in the bonus soundtrack. So, yeah, they're being vague and REALLY stretching the definition of an "art book" to make it seem like people are getting more than they really will. I mean, if we were talking Atlus, we might just get a disc in a generic slipcase, but in general I expect a soundtrack to have an insert which should have a few pieces of art. I don't personally consider that a bonus beyond the soundtrack itself.

Trebuken
10-11-2008, 03:45 PM
Just an update of the scheduled releases for this year:

I thought the GBA remake of Kingdom Hearts will be released in 2009, but Amazon and IGN have a release date of December 2.

Besides Eternal Poison, Ar Tonelico 2 and SMT Persona 4 we'll get also this year

Kingdom Hearts RE: Chain of Memories. Square Enix, Square Enix, 12/2/08.

Slowly I really think the RPG floodgates for the PS2 will never close. :)

Sony has been kind with the RPG's. The PS1, the PS2, and the PSP have all been great systems for RPG's. So when will the PS3 get some more love? They need to keep up with the PS2 until the PS3 steps up its game...

Aussie2B
10-11-2008, 05:06 PM
I don't know, beyond the PS1 ports, I don't really see the PSP as being that spectacular in terms of RPGs. But that's a whole 'nother topic altogether.

Seems like the 360 is getting most of the next-gen RPGs these days. And DS is getting most of the handheld stuff.

Gabriel
10-12-2008, 01:19 PM
Anyone know anything about Eternal Poison?

I've been more than a bit underwhelmed by the tactical RPG offerings of late. I'm just happy I didn't buy Spectral Force 3, Operation Darkness, or Zoids Assault for the 360 based on how bad I'm hearing those three ended up. Eternal Poison looks interesting, but could be just as lame as the three listed above. If it's going to be another disappointment, I'd rather not waste the $40. But, by the same token, I don't want to miss a game I might really enjoy.

lendelin
10-17-2008, 06:49 PM
I 'googled' websites for lists of PS2 RPGs in order to see if our list is still the best out there. Well, it is.

I am used to cheap cut-and-paste jobs from our list claiming that it is actually the work of others, but this one on ebay from electricquarter bothered me:

LINK (http://reviews.ebay.com/Current-list-of-all-PS2-RPG-games-US-Release_W0QQugidZ10000000001471076?ssPageName=BUYG D:CAT:-1:SEARCH:4)

It is a cut-and-paste from 2006 when the list was in its infancy. It just bothers me that it has so many views, and comes pretty high up on a google search; and the "I've compiled this list.." bothered me as well.

I made then 'my own' list on ebay based on ours given Digitalpress members the credit they deserve with links to our site. I posted the main list only to give incentives to visit the digitalpress site:

LINK (http://reviews.ebay.com/RPG-List-for-the-PS2_W0QQugidZ10000000009075598)

This ebay list under my name comes higher up on Google than ours here on Digitalpress. That's why I did it, and also...well...just because of my irking feelings. :)

slip81
10-18-2008, 06:44 AM
"electricquarter" Isn't there a member here who runs an online game store by the same name?

lendelin
10-18-2008, 10:48 PM
"electricquarter" Isn't there a member here who runs an online game store by the same name?

This might be, and I also remember vaguely that there is a DP member "consulting" this ebay business.

To make my point clear: I know that the Internet lives from nonsense as much as from intelligent stuff, and it is also a broad heterogenious mixture from outright honesty to outright scams. In this cultural atmosphere "shamelessness" seems to be a very minor (almost neglectible) aspect of virtual life.

I, however (and this might be my age) still find it shameless to take credit of the work of others. To deliver a cheap cut-and-paste job and then have no shame to say "I've compiled this list..." is just a plain lie, cheap, and something I would never do. At least the source of the work should be mentioned, and the nice effort of others shouldn't be misrepresented as an own labor of love.

To have shame might be antiquated, but I still stand by it.

bcks007
10-19-2008, 05:26 AM
I picked up X-Men: The Official Game recently, in the back of the manual it has pictures for 2 games its advertising, first was Ultimate Spider-Man (GH), which i checked online for, and finally found it really has a GH version, was a bit tricky to find, but it does exist.
The other game being X-Men Legends II (GH), I've yet to find a copy of this game in GH form yet. But there is a chance this does exist.:snipersmile:

lendelin
10-19-2008, 01:49 PM
The other game being X-Men Legends II (GH), I've yet to find a copy of this game in GH form yet. But there is a chance this does exist.:snipersmile:

I saw around a year ago either an advertisement or a pictured GH version of X-Men Legends II and Dragon Quest VIII. I made a note about it, but I couldn't find GH versions of both games! It seems they might have been scheduled as GH but weren't released.

Too bad that the official GH list by Sony hasn't been updated for over a year. If you find the GH versions of both games then shout, scream, and trampel with your feet so we can update the list!!

refan
10-22-2008, 08:28 PM
I love games with cardboard boxes!!!!

lendelin
10-24-2008, 04:15 PM
Just a heads up from the weekly Gamestop ad from today:

Gamestop dropped the price for Baroque (new) to $20 ... just in case you missed out on the Amazon daily deal for $17 two weeks ago. Amazon sells it still for $30.

Used with your 10% edge card it is certainly cheaper. Unfortunately, there is no '20% off for all used games'-coupon this week for GS.

bcks007
10-25-2008, 03:32 AM
Do you know if the Ar tonelico 2, and all its goodies are still available from http://www.rosenqueen.com/?
By goodies i mean all the extra free stuff that will not come with the game unless pre-ordered from that site. The site says only 2,000 of the goodies will be made.
Help me out, i really wanna get this at a decent price and not on ebay later on for a very bad price. :(

Aussie2B
10-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Yeah, it's right there. The "Sacred Army Set". All you get extra is a second soundtrack, though, with an insert with some art that they're playing out to be an additional art book.

bcks007
10-25-2008, 04:54 PM
Yeah i get that it listed at that site, duh. I don't get if i happen to make a order, if im going to get everything in that set. Cause surely 2000 pre-orders for this has happened already, or maybe it hasn't. Thats the part i wanted to know.....

lendelin
10-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Yeah i get that it listed at that site, duh. I don't get if i happen to make a order, if im going to get everything in that set. Cause surely 2000 pre-orders for this has happened already, or maybe it hasn't. Thats the part i wanted to know.....

My limited experience with Rosenqueen but more importantly the extensive experience of others tells us that you'll get it as long as they offer it. If pre-orders exceed the supply they pull the offer immediately.

Was the same with Mana Khemia with the figurine in the box. After four days the offer was over, and I didn't hear anyone complain they didn't get the pre-order.

...so you can pre-order it without uncertainty.

lendelin
10-25-2008, 06:19 PM
I added to the introduction of the list in the OP a short list of upcoming releases with release dates. This way you have a nice overwiew what to expect for the next two months.

I think this is a better way then to look for a post in the thread.

Aussie2B
10-26-2008, 12:58 AM
Yeah, if I remember correctly, it's listed as "Out of Stock" once the supply runs out, and then they'll likely put up pre-orders for just the game without the extra soundtrack.

lendelin
11-01-2008, 02:02 PM
I have questions about cover variants:

I know (or better strongly suspect) that SMT Digital Devil Saga 2 has two covers, the yellow one and the white one. Is this true or is the cover just dual sided? (mine is still sealed so I can't check)

More importantly, does someone of you know if there are more PS2 RPGs with cover variants? (of the standard versions, not for the games already in the special lists, that means for the special edition of FF XII, and the seven games in regular cases with extra content that have mostly two different back covers)

...and also I'd like to know if there are disc label variants and/or manual variants for the games listed. (Growlanser Generations has disc label variants, maybe(!) divided into the deluxe set and standard version) Are there other games?

carlcarlson
11-01-2008, 03:35 PM
DDS 2 does have a double-sided cover. The back image is the same on both.

bcks007
11-02-2008, 01:01 AM
Picked up some new rpgs recently.

Shifters
Chaos Wars
Eternal Eyes (ps1)
The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age
Final Fantasy XI: Chains of Promathia (don't even own ff11 with HD yet) ROFL
Legaia 2: Duel Saga
King's Field (ps1)
Xenosaga Limited Edition Movie DVD (not a game, but nice) :angel:
Dark Cloud 2
.hack//G.U. vol. 3//Redemption
Falling Stars

lendelin
11-02-2008, 12:47 PM
DDS 2 does have a double-sided cover. The back image is the same on both.

Does this mean it has different covers (the yellow one and white one) on the two sides? I'm interested if the cover is just dual sided with two different covers (like for Stella Deus, Growlanser Generations, and Magna Carta) or if there are two separate cover variants for the game.

carlcarlson
11-02-2008, 01:09 PM
Does this mean it has different covers (the yellow one and white one) on the two sides? I'm interested if the cover is just dual sided with two different covers (like for Stella Deus, Growlanser Generations, and Magna Carta) or if there are two separate cover variants for the game.

I'm not sure I understand the difference between those two examples, but either way yes, one side has the yellow cover, the other has the white.

lendelin
11-02-2008, 01:20 PM
I'm not sure I understand the difference between those two examples, but either way yes, one side has the yellow cover, the other has the white.

Thanks a lot! Well, there was the possibility that the game was sold with two different covers individually; not dual-sided, but sold in two cover variants.

Thanks again for checking!

lendelin
11-02-2008, 01:24 PM
For all of you who are not interested in special editions and missed out on Mana Khemia:

The game got re-released as a stand-alone game for $19.99. Amazon (no taxes, free shipping on orders over $25) has it already in stock.

Electric Blue
11-03-2008, 12:33 PM
[QUOTE=lendelin;1455583]I have questions about cover variants:

I know (or better strongly suspect) that SMT Digital Devil Saga 2 has two covers, the yellow one and the white one. Is this true or is the cover just dual sided? (mine is still sealed so I can't check)
[QUOTE]

I have a related question. Are there sealed copies of DDS2 that display both sides of the cover? I own 3 sealed copies of DDS2, and they all have the same side of the cover (I'm at work but I believe it's the "yellow" side that's referred here).

lendelin
11-05-2008, 12:06 AM
I have a related question. Are there sealed copies of DDS2 that display both sides of the cover? I own 3 sealed copies of DDS2, and they all have the same side of the cover (I'm at work but I believe it's the "yellow" side that's referred here).

My sealed copy has the yellow cover as well. I never saw a sealed one with the white cover.

lendelin
11-08-2008, 05:06 PM
I got lucky and found a copy (new) of Xenosaga III with the Best Buy exclusive lenticular cover. I put pics up of it in the picture section. The only missing picture of all the edition variants is now the little Inuyasha trading card.

The Xenosaga III cover variant is the hardest to find of the edition variants, and not easily to find for a decent normal price.

First it was only distributed by Best Buy for a limited time, and second lots of gamers probably threw the thingie away because it is just a removeable cover on top of the regular cover.

So...if you find it someplace used...grab it! :)

bcks007
11-09-2008, 01:41 AM
You still need Growlanser: Generations Deluxe Pack and Growlanser: Generations, game disc pictures for sure. :)
Wish i owned either one.

Press_Start
11-09-2008, 04:52 PM
I got lucky and found a copy (new) of Xenosaga III with the Best Buy exclusive lenticular cover. I put pics up of it in the picture section. The only missing picture of all the edition variants is now the little Inuyasha trading card.

The Xenosaga III cover variant is the hardest to find of the edition variants, and not easily to find for a decent normal price.

First it was only distributed by Best Buy for a limited time, and second lots of gamers probably threw the thingie away because it is just a removeable cover on top of the regular cover.

So...if you find it someplace used...grab it! :)

Found one at my local Play n' Trade for $15 along with Shadowhearts: Covenant and Front Mission 3.

I'm curious how many of these were distributed?

lendelin
11-10-2008, 12:17 AM
Found one at my local Play n' Trade for $15 along with Shadowhearts: Covenant and Front Mission 3.

I'm curious how many of these were distributed?

You're lucky, congrats, it is more worth for sure (I'd say around $50). No idea how many were distributed.

It was a Best Buy exclusive, and around a year ago I let one of my local Best Buys check the availability. None of the stores in Wisconsin had one, none online.

I got mine yesterday from Best Buy directly. I never check or hunt games regularly (I'm too lazy), but a week ago I looked for the variant on ebay, one (new) was offered for $95.

Because I was in a good mood I checked Best Buy against all odds. I hadn't seen the thing in a year offered. To my surprise it was listed for $20...so I ordered it. It was unclear if they still sold it with the special cover, I didn't really expect it, otherwise I would have posted the info in this thread. Already two days after I ordered it wasn't listed anymore. Yesterday I got it and indeed it was the lenticular cover variant. Obviously a small number of rest stock appeared.

Sometimes, I guess, everyone gets lucky.

lendelin
11-10-2008, 12:36 AM
You still need Growlanser: Generations Deluxe Pack and Growlanser: Generations, game disc pictures for sure. :)
Wish i owned either one.

Ok, I have the pics for some time now. BUT before I post them in the pic section something needs to be cleared up.

IMPORTANT:

I would ask all of you who have GROWLANSER GENERATIONS if you could check your game discs!

The reason is that it might be that the disc label variations are exclusive to the deluxe edition and the standard edition. If this is the case, then we would have indeed a different game from the standard version in the deluxe set and it should be noted in the special listing.

Here are the disc label variations:

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u104/lendelin/DP%20UPLOADS/GrowlanserGenerations-27DiscsUPLOAD.jpg

In the lower left corner is the SLUS number for each disc. Logically according to the SLUS number for the game, Disc 1 and 2 should be one set, and Disc 3 and 4 should be one set.

Could you please check your discs and tell us which ones you have, and (very important) if you bought the stand alone game or if you got the game in the deluxe set? Also important is if you tell us if you bought the game used or new! (used it might be that the discs got mixed up, or the game was taken out of the deluxe set.)

This would help a lot! Two people who bought the standard edition new and two people who bought the deluxe set new would be enough to clarify if the game in the deluxe set had exclusive labels different from the standard version. However, information about used games is also helpful!

...and if you're very accurate about your games, you can check now if disc labels got mixed up if you bought the game used. Disc 1 and 2 belong together, and so does Disc 3 and 4. If you got 1 and 4, or 2 and 3, then the discs got mixed up.

bcks007
11-10-2008, 01:44 AM
Which disc(s) goes to which set?

lendelin
11-10-2008, 02:29 AM
Which disc(s) goes to which set?

Ecactly that's the question.

I forgot to mention that my game in the deluxe set which I bought new directly from Working Designs has Disc 1 (20758B, Growlanser Generations II) and Disc 2 (20759B, Growlanser Generations III).

This disc label set (groups of game characters pictured) seems to be the deluxe set labels, while the two 'single girl'-labels (Disc 3 and Disc 4) seem to be exclusive to the stand-alone version. (so it was vaguely presented on the website I got these pics from, but the information is not very reliable).

We can't be sure. It might even be that not only are these labels not exclusive to the deluxe and standard edition, they might have been even sold in all four possible combinations, that means 1 and 2, 1 and 4, 3 and 2, and 3 and 4.

So my assumption that the two discs with 'B" at the end is one set, and the two discs with "A" at the end is another set might not be correct. We just can't be sure unless gamers clear that up since we can't ask Working Designs anymore.

bcks007
11-10-2008, 05:35 AM
I know alot of Working Designs ps1 games had alot of variants. I do not think that this will be the case for there ps2 games that where made. No other ps2 games have artwork random variants.

Btw, the other 2 Working Designs games for the ps2, Silpheed: The Lost Planet and Gungriffon Blaze, both have a A and B game disc variant. Both games have different artwork on there cds, and different artwork on there cases. From the copys I've seen on ebay, both always match up.

PapaStu
11-10-2008, 08:27 AM
The WD release of Growlanser has 2 releases. From my understanding, the 'Limited' special version was the 'B' release, the regularly purchased one in stores was the 'A' release, as noted by the disc and inserts SLUS#. I've only got the WD pre-ordered special release, but I do know i've seen the 'A' release on shelves in GameStops.

Aussie2B
11-10-2008, 12:49 PM
I have the deluxe set, and it has discs 1 and 2 (the B set). I bought it used, but if I recall correctly, the person I got it from never even played it and the game case itself was still sealed in plastic.

lendelin
11-10-2008, 07:29 PM
I know alot of Working Designs ps1 games had alot of variants. I do not think that this will be the case for there ps2 games that where made. No other ps2 games have artwork random variants.

Btw, the other 2 Working Designs games for the ps2, Silpheed: The Lost Planet and Gungriffon Blaze, both have a A and B game disc variant. Both games have different artwork on there cds, and different artwork on there cases. From the copys I've seen on ebay, both always match up.

Thanks for the heads up! I didn't know that that Silpheed and Gungriffon Blaze have cover and disc label variants. I have the A label variant in both games, I wasn't even aware that there are cover variants as well.

lendelin
11-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Thanks a lot! I think it's pretty clear by now that the A-set disc labels are in the standard version, and the B-set disc labels are in the deluxe edition.

I made a note in the listing. Obviously the sentence "the game in the deluxe set is identical with the standard version" was wrong since these are not only disc label variants but came separately with both editions.

I uploaded pics of the disc label variants with their SLUS numbers (Pictures4) and also put pics up for the soundtrack CD folder, the soundtrack CD, and the manual. (Pictures3) With these pictures everything of Growlanser Generations is covered picture-wise. :)

Just out of curiosity: Does Growlanser Heritage of War also have disc label variants? I guess not since WD didn't publish it.

PapaStu
11-11-2008, 11:37 AM
I highly doubt that Generation Wars has a disc variant.

Back in the PS1 days, Working Designs had friends at Sony, who let them do the disc art variants. As those friends retired, moved on ect, those perks of theirs (along with their ability to get games approved) went down the tubes, and thusly why we never saw some of the announced WD games on the PS2. They were lucky to even get Growlanser out considering the policies that had been enacted by SCEA against 2D gaming. Besides the fact that they took too long to get games done, other companies had sprung up snatching away licenses away, or the Japanese companies were just releasing titles here.

WD was a special entity to even ponder making a label variant for games. The only other time you'll see label variants is due to a factory misprint, a new publisher taking over the title (happened with PS games, not so much PS2 games) or a GH re-release situation.

Press_Start
11-11-2008, 02:03 PM
Back in the PS1 days, Working Designs had friends at Sony, who let them do the disc art variants. As those friends retired, moved on ect, those perks of theirs (along with their ability to get games approved) went down the tubes, and thusly why we never saw some of the announced WD games on the PS2. They were lucky to even get Growlanser out considering the policies that had been enacted by SCEA against 2D gaming. Besides the fact that they took too long to get games done, other companies had sprung up snatching away licenses away, or the Japanese companies were just releasing titles here.

Where did you hear info like that?

If the 2D gaming policy was true, how were Atlus able to release Odin Sphere and GrimGrimoire on the PS2?

WD was a special entity to even ponder making a label variant for games. The only other time you'll see label variants is due to a factory misprint, a new publisher taking over the title (happened with PS games, not so much PS2 games) or a GH re-release situation.

I believe that's was they're intention from the start. Looking at the packaging with Turbo games, you release they were something that wanted to stand out. In their case, they were the gamer's company and provided us with great games most companies ignorantly wouldn't bother with.

I heard Victor Ireland started a new company but that's as far as I know. Any one know what projects he's working on now?

PapaStu
11-11-2008, 03:21 PM
Where did you hear info like that?

If the 2D gaming policy was true, how were Atlus able to release Odin Sphere and GrimGrimoire on the PS2?

I 'heard' info like that from some conversations i've had with a Sony employee that would be very in the know.
The 2D policy is not something new, it was highly pushed by Sony in the middle of the PS and PS2 lifespans. Look at early PS games, we got stuff like Mega Man Legends and Street Fighter Ex+Alpha because Sony demanded 3D games from companies like Capcom, otherwise they'd not be allowed to publish the Megaman 8's, MegaMan X7's and Street Fighters Vs Capcom type titles.

Working Designs games were shoved into limbo hell after the launch of the PS2 because they (WD) wanted to release games that didn't look like they were 'next-gen', and appearance is everything. You are in the market to tout power over This is a SCEA thing, not a SCEJ mentality. In Japan they'd release a ton of stuff that SCEA would never think of releasing here. Sony has since lightened up on this stance, because they've dropped licensing fees for the PS2 down to nothing, and thats allowing companies like Atlus and others who are still putting out 2.5D games like that to make back something before they burn a bazillion bucks on making a PS3 game, by letting them get licenses here to release them.

I believe that's was they're intention from the start. Looking at the packaging with Turbo games, you release they were something that wanted to stand out. In their case, they were the gamer's company and provided us with great games most companies ignorantly wouldn't bother with.

I heard Victor Ireland started a new company but that's as far as I know. Any one know what projects he's working on now?

WD brought a level of collectability by making their manuals and disc arts as eye catching as they were, and their sales during the PS days were out of sight. They sold better than many primary publishers at the time.

If Vic's got a new company started/formed/what have you, good for him... though unless he can get XBLA, Wiiware or PS3Store titles out, he's probably going to be in bad shape again.

Press_Start
11-12-2008, 09:46 AM
WD brought a level of collectability by making their manuals and disc arts as eye catching as they were, and their sales during the PS days were out of sight. They sold better than many primary publishers at the time.

Really? How many did they sold during those days? Which site did you find info like that?

PapaStu
11-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Really? How many did they sold during those days? Which site did you find info like that?

Vic has been pretty forthcoming with sales data in years past when you talk with him. Lunar SSSC sold a few hundred thousand copies if memory serves. Some info also used to be on the WD website before it was eaten by the internet gremlins.

TonyTheTiger
11-12-2008, 02:05 PM
I can confirm that there were approximately 300,000 copies of Lunar: SSSC sold. It was Vic's best selling game. Check my posts on page 8 of the top sticky thread in the Collector's Guide and Rarity Database forum.

I also have a wrench to throw into the machinery about Growlanser Generations. I bought a copy from a Gamestop probably 14 or 15 months ago. It didn't have all the bells and whistles of the deluxe edition but when I asked about it, the clerk said that the person who traded it in had all that stuff but since Gamestop doesn't take it they gave them back to him and just took the game. My copy has discs 3 and 4. So either there isn't a hard and fast rule with how the discs are dispersed, the person who traded in the game somehow had a mixed up copy, or the clerk was just being an idiot. Based on what I've seen, it probably is true that the discs are specific to one version or the other but keep your eyes peeled for possible exceptions.

PapaStu
11-12-2008, 02:47 PM
I'm going to venture a guess that the clerk was just being an idiot...

lendelin
11-12-2008, 07:27 PM
I can confirm that there were approximately 300,000 copies of Lunar: SSSC sold. It was Vic's best selling game. Check my posts on page 8 of the top sticky thread in the Collector's Guide and Rarity Database forum.

Based on what I've seen, it probably is true that the discs are specific to one version or the other but keep your eyes peeled for possible exceptions.

You are right that we have to be careful to declare one disc set specific to one version. I'll keep my eyes peeled for sure. Strictly speaking, I should have waited until two people report they bought Growlanser Generations new as a stand alone game and the A disc set was in there.

I checked ebay for GG. 90% offered as a stand alone have the A disc set. I'm still mistrustful, and we should be careful about this judgement call although in all likelihood we are right.

I read your posts about Lunar SSCC. Very interesting. I wasn't even aware that there is a demo disc for the game.

lendelin
11-12-2008, 08:19 PM
PapaStu is absolutely correct about the difficulties to get GG released. WD had problems with SCEA. I remember the post of a former DP member and former WD employee (who wrote the guides for Lunar 2 and Vanguard Bandits) about a conversation he had with Victor Ireland.

Ireland pointed out that Growlanser II didn't get the go because it is 'only' a 2D game, graphically not top-notch, and something additionally has to be included. WD had to add and translate Growlanser III and could Growlanser II publish only as a package. That caused of course a lot of problems for such a small developer. In the end WD, critically acclaimed, was almost a one-man show.

But we shouldn't focus entirely on SCEA which has certainly partial responsibility to make life difficult for WD. It is the tale of an industry that experiences more and more a concentration process that leaves smaller developers/publishers in a very difficult economic situation. Development time and development costs increased dramatically in the last eight years, and so did localization of already existing games. Without finacial backup by publishers, a well carved out niche, and strict cost-efficiency within the firm smaller developers/publishers are relegated nowadays to the virtual stores of Nintendo, MS and Sony. At best they can develop for handheld games.

Powerhouses like Konami and Capcom have much more leeway to develop and publish niche games, SCEA is certainly more lenient towards these companies.

SCEA's actions have to be seen as a re-action to market developments. They wanted the next-gen, 3D-top-notch-image because it is an economic necessity. It sells, it is mainstream, it is survival in a very competitive market.

In 2002/2003 2-D games did not sell well like they still moderately did in the transition phase from 2D to 3D (1995 to 2000) ... at least this was the case and so it was anticipated.

Ironically, the success of the games WD stood for contributed to its downfall. Disgaea (August 2003) sold more than expected, and that prompted Atlus and NIS to publish themselves more of the quirky traditional Japanese RPGs once thought not suitable for the American market. By the time GG got published (December 2004) the niche for WD was no longer a safe place. WD faced not only competition in the form of games, but more so of developer/publishers which didn't go the route through a localization/publishing company for the American market. Again, market developments and not only SCEA are responsible for the unfortunate fate of WD.

Images and competition, development costs and time, required big personal staff, financial backup, and subtle shifts in demand leave smaller developers/publishers in a very difficult situation.

esquire
11-13-2008, 09:51 AM
Isn't Eternal Poison officially out now? If so, it needs to be added to the list.

Has anyone picked it up?

Press_Start
11-13-2008, 10:29 AM
But we shouldn't focus entirely on SCEA which has certainly partial responsibility to make life difficult for WD. It is the tale of an industry that experiences more and more a concentration process that leaves smaller developers/publishers in a very difficult economic situation. Development time and development costs increased dramatically in the last eight years, and so did localization of already existing games. Without finacial backup by publishers, a well carved out niche, and strict cost-efficiency within the firm smaller developers/publishers are relegated nowadays to the virtual stores of Nintendo, MS and Sony. At best they can develop for handheld games.

Something always been bothering me. If Sony was giving WD a hard time, why didn't Victor go to Nintendo? I'm sure there were a few Gameboy and Gamecube titles people would have loved to come to the states.

Isn't Eternal Poison officially out now? If so, it needs to be added to the list.

Has anyone picked it up?

It did...oh shoot. It is still possible to get the bonus artbook from Gamestop?

TonyTheTiger
11-13-2008, 11:36 AM
Something always been bothering me. If Sony was giving WD a hard time, why didn't Victor go to Nintendo? I'm sure there were a few Gameboy and Gamecube titles people would have loved to come to the states.

If there is one thing about Victor Ireland, he's stubborn. That probably wasn't a bad thing for the most part. If not for his stubbornness he wouldn't have had WD spend years rebuilding the lost data for Magic Knight Rayearth. But that stubbornness also drove him to push for games despite there being 0 chance Sony would cave.

It happened with Sega. I'm pretty sure he was planning on localizing the Saturn versions of the Lunar remakes but his main contact (the guy who facilitated his relationship with Sega) went to Sony and Vic followed. But after you burn a bridge or two you find there aren't as many avenues to explore and I guess he didn't adapt well to the change. Though I don't think it's fair to lay the blame squarely on his shoulders. He was jerked around a bit and stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Sony says "Sure, do Lunar, do Silpheed, do GunGriffon Blaze, do this, do that." Then all of a sudden "Growlanser? Screw you, Vic." All the while Disgaea manages to eke by. What was Victor supposed to do? Cancel the project and eat the loss or trudge through and try to make at least some kind of profit? What he should have probably done is accepted Growlanser as a hard lesson, adapted to the obvious changes, and not pushed so hard for that old Goemon game that Sony was never going to let him do. Not doing a collector's package of Growlanser might also have been a good idea. It would have been a much easier sale to the public if he marketed the game as "2 in 1 for standard price" and not chipped away at the company's finances by trying to sell an additional (and expensive) collector's edition with a watch and other trinkets. All in all, he should have moved to another platform if that was an option or adapted to the changing tides at Sony a little better than he did.

lendelin
11-13-2008, 06:59 PM

Has anyone picked it up?

Added. I waited to make sure if the release date is correct. Amazon and Gamestop has it in stock today, so I left the release date at 11/11.

I pre-ordered it, but Amazon didn't ship it yet.

lendelin
11-13-2008, 07:11 PM
Updates:

Ar tonelico 2 got delayed. The new release date is January 20, 2009. Amazon and GS have the new release date while Rosenqueen still has mid-December.

SMT Persona 4 will get a a guide after all. Published by Doublejump, it will ship according to Doublejump on December 12. (Release date for the game: December 9) Price: $19.99

Kingdom Hearts RE seems to have no own strategy guide, but I guess the old guide by Brady for the DS game will cover it. In a strict sense the game didn't receive a guide because platform and the title of the game are different.

Aussie2B
11-13-2008, 11:47 PM
Do you guys know if the Arc the Lad Collection came into being because of the same pressures over Growlanser, or did Working Designs themselves choose to make it a package deal?

Press_Start
11-14-2008, 02:44 PM
Updates:

SMT Persona 4 will get a a guide after all. Published by Doublejump, it will ship according to Doublejump on December 12. (Release date for the game: December 9) Price: $19.99

Will Rosenqueen do a special pre-order bonus for Persona 4 as they did with Ar Tolenico 2?

Btw, everytime I tried to pay with Paypal, they forget to my apartment on the shipping address. Is anyone having this same problem?

bcks007
11-14-2008, 03:21 PM
I live in a apartment with a #number, your question didn't make sense. But I've never had a problem, in case you don't know, you should be adding your apartment number on the same line as your street address. Make sure to add # before your numbers.

bcks007
11-14-2008, 03:23 PM
O'wait, is that paypal screwing up or Rosenqueen? Paypal should have your addi saved, perhaps its loading a previous or wrong add, you might need to find out how to update or remove the other one.

lendelin
11-14-2008, 03:29 PM
Will Rosenqueen do a special pre-order bonus for Persona 4 as they did with Ar Tolenico 2?

Btw, everytime I tried to pay with Paypal, they forget to my apartment on the shipping address. Is anyone having this same problem?

There is no special pre-order bonus for Persona 4 by Rosenqueen. They sell a set which includes the Doublejump guide (nothing else) for the regular prices of the game and the guide.

Actually, the pre-orders by Amazon and Gamestop are a much better deal. They include an art book which Rosenqueen doesn't offer.

Amazon is by far the best deal. The game is $3 cheaper ($36.99) than the regular price, plus no shipping and no taxes. You get it for around $8 cheaper than from other online retailers and you get the art book. In-store purchases with taxes are also $5 more expensive than the Amazon pre-order.

Never had problems with the shipping address with Rosenqueen online orders.

Daria
11-14-2008, 05:30 PM
Do you guys know if the Arc the Lad Collection came into being because of the same pressures over Growlanser...

Yes, it did.

lendelin
11-15-2008, 06:20 AM
I need some information.

I am compiling a list of all guides for PS2 RPGs published by DoubleJump.

For the newer Disgaea Compilation guide (covers the PS2, PSP, and DS games) I need 1) the authors listed, and 2) the total page number of the guide.

Would be great if someone of you who has the guide could provide the information.

bcks007
11-15-2008, 03:27 PM
Just ask on doublejump forums, im sure you would get a quicker answer that way.

lendelin
11-15-2008, 04:36 PM
Just ask on doublejump forums, im sure you would get a quicker answer that way.

Not worth to register. I get the guide anyway shortly, but moreover I can not even add the list to the original post because the character count exceeds the limit! Too bad.

Well, the lists are certainly long in the meantime, maybe an administrator can make an exception?

I thought a list of the Doublejump guides would be nice because they are special and of particular interest for collectors.

I just do the list as a post.

lendelin
11-15-2008, 04:43 PM
Here is a list of the guides published by DoubleJump Books for PS2 RPGs. I cannot add the list to the original post because the character count exceeds the limit.

Noteworthy: Our "own" Daria (RPG maniac and collector, plush collector, cooking oil queen, and a worldly and intelligent woman) appears in the guide for Phantom Brave! (on page 243) In the interview section where RPG fans could ask questions to game designers/publishers she got printed asking if toys or plushies are planned for the game.

E. Strategy Guides by DoubleJump Books

01) Disgaea. Tim Lindquist, Iaian Ross, and Kitty. [Redmond, WA]: DoubleJump Books 2008. 272 Pages. Paperback. Book Format. Note: This is a compilation guide covering three games. "Disgaea: Hour of Darkness" for the PS2, "Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness" for the PSP, and "Disgaea DS" for the Nintendo DS.

02) Disgaea. Hour of Darkness. Tim Lindquist. [Redmond, WA]: DoubleJump Books 2003. 96 Pages. Paperback. Magazine Format.

03) Disgaea. Hour of Darkness. Special Edition. Tim Lindquist. [Redmond, WA]: DoubleJump Books 2003. 96 Pages. Paperback. Magazine Format. Note: This is an update of the original release with new content and with higher quality paper than the original.

04) Disgaea 2. Cursed Memories. Iaian Ross, Kale Harbick, and Alicia Ashby. [Redmond, WA]: DoubleJump Books 2006. 640 Pages. Paperback. Book Format.

05) Makai Kingdom. Chronicles of the Sacred Tome. Iaian Ross, Alicia Ashby, Kale Harbick, and Thomas Wilde. [Redmond, WA]: DoubleJump Books 2005. 244 Pages. Paperback. Book Format.

06) Mana Khemia. Alchemists of Al-Revis. Alicia Ashby & Kitty. [Redmond, WA]: DoubleJump Books 2008. 238 Pages. Paperback. Book Format.

07) Phantom Brave. Kale Harbick, Iaian Ross, and Thomas Wilde. [Redmond, WA]: DoubleJump Books 2004. 244 Pages. Paperback. Book Format.

08) Rogue Galaxy. Iaian Ross, Kale Harbick, and Alicia Ashby. Roseville, CA; [Redmond, WA]: Prima Games; DoubleJump Books 2006. 384 Pages. Paperback. Magazine Format. Note: The guide was co-published by Prima Games.

09) Shin Megami Tensei. Devil Summoner. Iaian Ross, Thomas Wilde, and Elizabeth Ellis. Roseville, CA; [Redmond, WA]: Prima Games; DoubleJump Books 2006. 253 Pages. Paperback. Magazine Format. Note: The guide was co-published by Prima Games.

10) Shin Megami Tensei. Nocturne. [No Authors]. [Redmond, WA]: DoubleJump Books 2004. 388 Pages. Paperback. Book Format. Note: The guide is an edited and extended localization of the Japanese guide by Enterbrain.

11) Shin Megami Tensei. Persona 3. Iaian Ross, Thomas Hindmarch, and Elizabeth Ellis. [Redmond, WA]: DoubleJump Books 2007. 264 Pages. Paperback. Book Format.

12) Soul Nomad & The World Eaters. Limited Edition. Alicia Ashby, Iaian Ross, and Thomas Wilde. [Redmond, WA]: DoubleJump Books 2007. 238 Pages. Paperback. Book Format.

Daria
11-15-2008, 05:38 PM
Noteworthy: Our "own" Daria (RPG maniac and collector, plush collector, cooking oil queen, and a worldly and intelligent woman) appears in the guide for Phantom Brave! (on page 243) In the interview section where RPG fans could ask questions to game designers/publishers she got printed asking if toys or plushies are planned for the game.

I also asked if they had any plans for porting/remaking the rest of the Marl Kingdom series for either a console collection or for handheld release. But they didn't print it. The Toys were more of an after thought.

Incidently they did include a Marona figure in the Disgaea palm figures collection.

lendelin
11-16-2008, 01:56 AM
I asked some questions over at the Doublejump forums, and Tim Lindquist was very helpful and provided the necessary information.

First, Doublejump is in Redmond, WA, so I could add the location of the publisher. (If a location is known but not given in the publication, it is common to put the location in brackets [...])

Second, I added the authors and page number for the Disgaea Compilation guide.

Third, since no authors for the SMT Nocturne guide were given, I suspected that the guide was a localization. He confirmed it. It is an extended version of the Japanese guide by Enterbrain.

Fourth, the guy is very good discovering typos! :) He immediately noticed that I had the wrong page number (214) instead of 244 for the Makai Kingdom guide. Well, there you notice the experience - proof reading is his bread and butter!

lendelin
11-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Just a heads up:

Amazon sells Baroque again for $20. Same price for the Wii version.

LINK PS2 Baroque (http://www.amazon.com/Baroque-Playstation-2/dp/B0011GBJO8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1226871189&sr=1-2)

bcks007
11-16-2008, 07:03 PM
Dokapon Kingdom is also $20 on amazon. Hope is sticks there for a bit, as im broke right now.

bcks007
11-17-2008, 05:48 PM
Eternal Poison came in today from amazon. :) It was only supposed to come with a pre-order artbook right? You can never tell what your info said after placing a order with amazon. My artbook came shirnk wrapped to the game. :)

lendelin
11-17-2008, 06:50 PM
Eternal Poison came in today from amazon. :) It was only supposed to come with a pre-order artbook right? You can never tell what your info said after placing a order with amazon. My artbook came shirnk wrapped to the game. :)

You mean in-game packaging? Or was the book separately packaged from the game?

I'll get it soon, too, probably tomorrow. With these vague descriptions lately (in particular from Amazon) you never know if we get actually edition variants or merely bonus items.

Aussie2B
11-17-2008, 06:58 PM
Amazon shrinkwraps pre-order bonuses to games just out of convenience. It's not a special edition of the game. The art book is a separate unrelated piece, and the game is the same stand-alone copy you'd get at GameStop or whatever. All copies of Eternal Poison have a second disc tray with a soundtrack, though. I imagine it'll all be the same with Persona 4.

bcks007
11-19-2008, 05:39 AM
Yeah that shrinkwrap is shit. It almost/kinda ruined my case for Eternal Poison, because of whatever heat they used to seal up the artbook to it. My case has wavy lines from on the back and front. It could have even ruined the artwork if it had got to hot. :(

lendelin
11-19-2008, 11:58 AM
Yeah that shrinkwrap is shit. It almost/kinda ruined my case for Eternal Poison, because of whatever heat they used to seal up the artbook to it. My case has wavy lines from on the back and front. It could have even ruined the artwork if it had got to hot. :(

Yep, it's just a bonus item, on the other hand I think this offer was an Amazon exclusive, and I don't expect that the price for this game will drop soon. So I think a pre-order is still justified.

Still haven't gotten my copy. Could you post the SLUS number of Eternal Poison so I can add it to the special list?

lendelin
11-19-2008, 12:09 PM
The max count of the first post was expanded. The lists are now together again in one post.

I added the list of Doublejump guides (section 2.E.).

I think it's nice to have such a list because a) these guides are something special and continue the tradition of the guides by Working Designs, and b) the count is now by 12, soon 13 with the upcoming SMT Persona 4 guide by Doublejump.

Let's face it, every guide maniac needs those Doublejump guides. :)

Special thanks to the site administrators sisko and Vectorman0 who helped promptly and efficiently with simple solutions. I appreciate your help, nice guys!

bcks007
11-19-2008, 02:57 PM
Eternal Poison (with soundtrack), is SLUS-21779.
Ar tonelico 2: Melody of Metafalica, is SLUS-21788.

Seen the artwork for ar2 already. Here it is,
http://www.nisamerica.com/images/email/at2_premium_cover.jpg

lendelin
11-19-2008, 09:00 PM
Eternal Poison (with soundtrack), is SLUS-21779.
Ar tonelico 2: Melody of Metafalica, is SLUS-21788.

Seen the artwork for ar2 already. Here it is,
http://www.nisamerica.com/images/email/at2_premium_cover.jpg

THANKS, Brandon! I added the SLUS number for Eternal Poison.

Seems Ar tonelico 2 won't get the ugly red stripe "Includes..." on the front cover which Eternal Poison and SMT Persona 4 have. Reminds me too much of GH versions.

lendelin
11-20-2008, 03:35 PM
The pictures for Eternal Poison are added. (game cover, manual, game disc and soundtrack CD)

Got it today, and the art book is pretty nice. I'm not into the whole pre-order stuff, but it's 100 pages, the pics are nice and the quality of the prints is good.

lendelin
11-22-2008, 04:53 AM
Just a heads-up:

Amazon sells Eternal Poison for $30 already! (free shipping) Just two weeks ago released it dropped by $10.

Yikes, and I thought it wouldn't drop soon.

My advice: wait longer, and soon you'll get it for $20 and cheaper!

It doesn't seem to be a bad game, though, on the contrary. It is obviously a solid, good STRPG that has its moments. A reviewer from RPGFan gave it a score of 82.

Link to the Review (http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Eternal_Poison/index.html)

lendelin
11-22-2008, 03:16 PM
I added two new special lists: VARIANTS and DUAL-SIDED COVERS with new picture sections. The pics for the dual-sided covers are new.

The Variants list is helpful, I hope. These variants are already covered in the 'deluxe set'-list and 'regular cases with extra content'-list because they are associated with special editions.

However, 'only' nine of the 29 games covered in the two older lists have variants. By making a special list for them you have a better overview of the variants you need if you have all of the deluxe sets. (so far I have six of the nine)

The variants go from different front covers, back covers, disc labels, and manuals to SLUS numbers, or all of the above (Final Fantasy XII).

If you know of more variants of any kind please let us know! (Disc labels, manuals, etc.??)

The list of DUAL-SIDED COVERS has four games I know of:

01) Growlanser: Generations (SLUS 20758, 20759)
02) Magna Carta: Tears of Blood (SLUS 21221)
03) Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2 (SLUS 21152)
04) Stella Deus: The Gate of Eternity (SLUS 21132)

Good chances that there are more games with dual-sided covers provide the games published by Atlus. I looked through my opened Atlus games (Dual Hearts, Metal Saga, Tsugunai, and others) but the following sealed ones I couldn't check:

Disgaea
Steambot Chronicles
Growlanser Heritage of War
SMT Digital Devil Saga
SMT Persona 3
SMT Nocturne
SMT Devil Summoner

If someone of you has a couple of these game opened, please check if the covers are dual-sided and let us know.

I don't know of any game who was sold with two separate front
covers besides Dual Masters,Final Fantasy XII, Marvel UA (because the Special Edition was released as GH), and Xenosaga III with its special removeable lenticular cover.

There seems to be no regular game (not asociated with some kind of extra content) that was sold with a front cover and/or back cover variant.

(PS: That the GH versions always have different covers [front, spine, back] and disc labels are a given)

oremites
11-22-2008, 09:45 PM
Good chances that there are more games with dual-sided covers provide the games published by Atlus. I looked through my opened Atlus games (Dual Hearts, Metal Saga, Tsugunai, and others) but the following sealed ones I couldn't check:

Disgaea
Steambot Chronicles
Growlanser Heritage of War
SMT Digital Devil Saga
SMT Persona 3
SMT Nocturne
SMT Devil Summoner

I checked my copies of those games and none of them had dual-sided covers.

bcks007
11-22-2008, 11:33 PM
There seems to be no regular game (not asociated with some kind of extra content) that was sold with a front cover and/or back cover variant.

Not quite, just no regular RPG game. There around 10 more that i know of, that are not rpgs with duel sided covers.

lendelin
11-23-2008, 12:15 PM
Not quite, just no regular RPG game. There around 10 more that i know of, that are not rpgs with duel sided covers.

I talked about RPGs only, but also about games with not just dual-sided covers but games with two diffferent covers sold separately.

Just curious: which are the non-RPGames with dual-sided covers you know?

lendelin
11-23-2008, 12:17 PM
I checked my copies of those games and none of them had dual-sided covers.

THANKS A LOT! This helps a lot. I think it's pretty safe to say that there aren't more RPGs with dual-sided covers then.

Gabriel
11-23-2008, 03:52 PM
Just a heads-up:

Amazon sells Eternal Poison for $30 already! (free shipping) Just two weeks ago released it dropped by $10.

Yikes, and I thought it wouldn't drop soon.

My advice: wait longer, and soon you'll get it for $20 and cheaper!

It doesn't seem to be a bad game, though, on the contrary. It is obviously a solid, good STRPG that has its moments. A reviewer from RPGFan gave it a score of 82.

Link to the Review (http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Eternal_Poison/index.html)

I got Eternal Poison for $40 as a pre-order. I don't see how a strategy RPG fan could really feel they've gone wrong with this one.

The art book was a little better than I expected. I got the game largely on the basis of the character design art I had seen, so this bonus is very nice.

The soundtrack is neat, but then again I've been known to pop in SegaCD discs just to listen to the music. It's kind of the typical gothic RPG thematic stuff. There's a fairly nice, but short, piano piece I'm fond of.

The game itself could easily fall into the trap of strategy games which seem cranked out by machine to low standards. However, it manages to avoid that. While most visuals are decidedly PS1 era, what 3D there is manages to be underwhelming, and the game is the typical modern mix of Final Fantasy Tactics plus Pokemon, there's not the feeling the game started with such a mundane concept. While playing, I get the feeling the designers had a much grander vision, but this was all they had the budget and resources to realize. Sensing this, Atlus even popped for decent voice acting. The result is a very last gen title, but still very enjoyable.

lendelin
11-25-2008, 01:39 PM
I got Eternal Poison for $40 as a pre-order. I don't see how a strategy RPG fan could really feel they've gone wrong with this one.

The game is worth the $40, however, if you get the game after two or three months for $20 or even on sale for $10 then patience would have been good advice. (I'm a cheapskate) Unless you want to play a game right away and can't wait, of course. (I haven't even played the two Disgaeas yet, and I got Disgaea for $15 and Disgaea 2 for $13, both new, around one year after their release)

lendelin
11-25-2008, 01:50 PM
I slimmed down the first two special lists, in particular the second one, the list for games in regular cases with extra content.

After compiling the variants list I noticed that a lot of the descriptions in the second special list were redundant. The second list focuses now on the extra content with brief descriptions; in the list of variants the differences between the variants are given in detail, from different back covers to spines and SLUS numbers.

I hope it makes for a better overview for those who are after the nine variants in the entire game library.

lendelin
11-25-2008, 02:39 PM
Yesterday I found coincidentally a Marvel Ultimate Alliance/Forza 2 double game/disc case for the Xbox 360 at a Blockbuster ($10); one of the compilation games that sold only with the system; and that is of course a variant of the 360 RPGs with its own cover art.

That made me think if there were maybe similar double disc games with the PS2 system sold. (?) But thinking about it, these double game/disc variants seem to be specific to the Xbox and GameCube, I can't remember a single one for the PS2.

I hope there is none with a PS2 RPG. :)

koster
11-26-2008, 02:33 AM
I talked about RPGs only, but also about games with not just dual-sided covers but games with two diffferent covers sold separately.

Just curious: which are the non-RPGames with dual-sided covers you know?
PS2 Inuyasha: Feudal Combat has a double-sided cover.

bcks007
11-26-2008, 10:45 PM
This seems like a new set. :snipersmile:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B001G0MG8W/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga appears in stock at amazon for $40. wOw

lendelin
11-27-2008, 02:36 AM
This seems like a new set. :snipersmile:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B001G0MG8W/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga appears in stock at amazon for $40. wOw

I truly hope that Persona 3 FES is not a new specially packaged set, that means a cardboard box with the Persona 3 FES logo on it plus artbook and CD inside.

The artbook and soundtrack CD are the same that came already in the Persona 3 box. Looks more like bonus items separated from the game. A cardboard box isn't mentioned, just that the game comes with the book and CD. But even as separated items, it is not a bad deal for this game with the bonus items.

I noticed too today that Digital Devil Saga was offered for $40. Although the deluxe box is pictured, there is no mentioning of it. I suspect it is the reprint of the stand alone game. If it were the deluxe set with the box I'd be all over it for this price, of course.

BTW, I added the Growlanser Generations stand alone game with the different disc labels to my bragging rights thread, plus the Xenosaga III Lenticular Cover version and Eternal Poison. LINK (http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113388)

Still missing Inuyasha with the card, Digimon World 4 without card, and Nocturne with CD, though. 3 variants missing, otherwise I have them all.

lendelin
11-27-2008, 01:19 PM
Just a heads-up before I say hello to the Thanksgiving turkey with a knife and fork:

The Amazon pre-order deal for SMT Persona 4 (with art book) got a bit cheaper. It is now $35 plus free shipping and no taxes. Cheaper than in-store for sure. If you pre-ordered already for $37, the new price will be applied.

codyz1112594
11-27-2008, 11:37 PM
A couple notes before I list what I have in the DP Online Guide master file:

It's tough to categorize games now that they've started to borrow RPG elements to give the title some length and depth. I've tried to categorize them as best as I can, but I'd love to hear what everyone thinks.

I have Magic Pengel and games of that ilk (like Monster Rancher) listed as Life Development titles since they focus on creating/raising a character and fighting with the a'la Pokemon Stadium. Magic Pengel blurs the line...it has RPG elements in it, but they aren't the main focus of the game. Even the package classifies it as an adventure game.

I never saw the Fullmetal Alchemist games as RPGs. They're more like beat-em-up type games, IMO.

Heroes of Might and Magic and Gladius are what I consider 'Action Strategy', or what the DP guide refers to as 'Battle-centric'. I wouldn't consider them full-blown RPGs. Could Future Tactics fit in here?

Anyway, here's the list, broken down by classifications.

First Person RPGs:

Eternal Ring
King's Field: The Ancient City

MMO RPGs:

EverQuest: Online Adventures (I'd consider the 7-day trial more of a demo)
EverQuest: Online Adventures: Frontiers
Final Fantasy XI: [w/Hard Disk Drive]
Final Fantasy XI: Chains of Promathia
Monster Hunter

Third-Person Real-Time RPGs, Hack-and-Slash:

.Hack 1: Infection
.Hack 2: Mutation
.Hack 3: Outbreak
.Hack 4: Quarantine
Arc the Lad: End of Darkness
Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II
Bard's Tale, The: Song of the Bard
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
Champions of Norrath: Realms of Everquest
Champions: Return to Arms
Dark Angel: Vampire Apocalypse
Dark Cloud
Dark Cloud 2
Demon Stone: Forgotten Realms
Dual Hearts
Evergrace
Forever Kingdom
Legion: Legend of Excalibur
Orphen: Scion of Sorcery
Radiata Stories
Shining Force NEO
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
Summoner
Summoner 2
Virtua Quest
Warriors of Might & Magic
X-Men Legends
X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse
Ys: The Ark of Napishtim

Turn-Based and Turn-Based Strategy RPGs:

Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
Ephemeral Fantasia
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Grandia 2
Grandia Xtreme
Growlanser: Generations
Growlanser: Generations Deluxe
InuYasha: The Secret of the Cursed Mask
Jade Cocoon 2
Kingdom Hearts
La Pucelle: Tactics
Legaia 2: Duel Saga
Legend of Alon D'ar, The
Lord of the Rings, The: The Third Age
Magna Carta: Tears of Blood
Makai Kingdom: Chronicles of the Sacred Tome
Mega Man X: Command Mission
Nightmare Of Druaga: Fushigino Dungeon
Okage: Shadow King
Phantom Brave
Romancing SaGa: Ministrel Song
RPG Maker 2
RPG Maker 3
Shadow Hearts
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Shaman King: Power of Spirit
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Shining Tears
Stella Deus: The Gate of Eternity
Suikoden III
Suikoden IV
Suikoden Tactics
Tsugunai: Atonement
Unlimited SaGa
Wild Arms 3
Wild Arms: Alter Code F
Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land
XenoSaga: Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht
XenoSaga: Episode II: Jenseits von Gut und Bose

Turn-Based/Battle-Centric

Gladius
Heroes of Might and Magic: Quest for the DragonBone Staff

im glad the3y included okage

bcks007
11-28-2008, 02:35 PM
I picked up Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection, Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES (w/Soundtrack,Artbook), and God of War II from amazon today. ;) So in a week or so, i will know if its a variant or not. :-/

lendelin
11-28-2008, 05:57 PM
Yes, let us know if the Persona 3 FES set came in special packaging or 'just' with the two bonus items separately packaged! Very important!

I bet you got the Metal Gear Essential Collection for $15 from Amazon, right? :) (Very good price for it, I have it already, but it is up to $30 again anyway)

bcks007
11-29-2008, 03:57 AM
Yeah of course i got it there, i just wish i would have had even more money to have spent. i would have picked up a few $100 ps2 batman bundles.

Btw Eternal Poison is now down to $25.95 now. *_*

Any chance that you might pick up anything from amazon? I ask cause im broke as hell right now, and Arcana Heart is at $12.95. If you getting anything, i would love to do another money for game trade like we did last time. let me know please. ;)

bcks007
11-29-2008, 04:03 AM
wth, just lost $10

Persona 3 FES with Soundtrack CD and Artbook is now $19.95 :(

lendelin
11-29-2008, 04:36 AM
wth, just lost $10

Persona 3 FES with Soundtrack CD and Artbook is now $19.95 :(

Welcome to the club. :) Ridge Racer 7 dropped to $10!! (ordered it for $20) ( I noticed the Persona FES drop too)

Another good deal: silver PS2 controller for $8! Memory card adaptor PS3 $3! Alone in the Dark PS2 $4!

lendelin
11-29-2008, 04:42 AM
Btw Eternal Poison is now down to $25.95 now. *_*

Any chance that you might pick up anything from amazon? I ask cause im broke as hell right now, and Arcana Heart is at $12.95.

PM sent!

I should have waited to buy Eternal Poison...never thought this game would drop so soon!

lendelin
11-29-2008, 01:03 PM
Here are some links to Amazon:

Persona 3 Fes w artbook and soundtrack CD (http://www.amazon.com/Persona-FES-Soundtrack-Artbook-Playstation-2/dp/B001G0MG8W/ref=br_lf_m_1000170001_1_5_img?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=videogames&pf_rd_p=464856351&pf_rd_s=center-7&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000170001&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1EJN83N2Y7PZ86TFTNPP) $19.95

Eternal Poison (http://www.amazon.com/Eternal-Poison-Playstation-2/dp/B001DT8FUE/ref=br_lf_m_1000170001_1_1_img?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=videogames&pf_rd_p=464856351&pf_rd_s=center-7&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000170001&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1EJN83N2Y7PZ86TFTNPP) $19.95

Infinite Undiscovery Xbox360 (http://www.amazon.com/Infinite-Undiscovery-Xbox-360/dp/B00149NCYW/ref=br_lf_m_1000170001_1_18_img?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=videogames&pf_rd_p=464856371&pf_rd_s=center-7&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000170001&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1BSNXK05RHJJ1TJ8377Q) $18.95

The Last Remnant Xbox360 (http://www.amazon.com/Last-Remnant-Xbox-360/dp/B001CMJAP6/ref=br_lf_m_1000170001_1_15_img?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=videogames&pf_rd_p=464856371&pf_rd_s=center-7&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000170001&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1BSNXK05RHJJ1TJ8377Q) $29.95

NON-RPG DEALS:

Sony PS2 controller silver (http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Dualshock-Analog-Controller-Silver-2/dp/B000R3OR2W/ref=br_lf_m_1000170001_1_16_img?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=videogames&pf_rd_p=464856351&pf_rd_s=center-7&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000170001&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1EJN83N2Y7PZ86TFTNPP) $8 (Gone...new price $24)

Alone in the Dark PS2 (http://www.amazon.com/Alone-Dark-Playstation-2/dp/B00113NYIA/ref=br_lf_m_1000170001_1_13_img?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=videogames&pf_rd_p=464856351&pf_rd_s=center-7&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000170001&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1EJN83N2Y7PZ86TFTNPP) $4

Ridge Racer 7 PS3 (http://www.amazon.com/Ridge-Racer-7-Playstation-3/dp/B000HCMR8E/ref=br_lf_m_1000170001_1_17_img?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=videogames&pf_rd_p=464856391&pf_rd_s=center-7&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000170001&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0TW8V70ACRJZC0SYG817) $9.95 (GONE..new price $30)

Arcana Heart PS2 (http://www.amazon.com/Arcana-Heart-Playstation-2/dp/B0013LTP4W/ref=br_lf_m_1000170001_1_3_img?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=videogames&pf_rd_p=464856491&pf_rd_s=center-7&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000170001&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=18Q4F63CJA0FF0KK93D4) $12.95

bcks007
11-30-2008, 04:07 AM
Eternal Poison $19.95 now

Also Sonic Unleashed was under $15 yesterday, but its back to normal price now.

bcks007
11-30-2008, 07:37 PM
Back to the list fo Duel sided covers that i know about. Since i finaly found my list that i wrote down ages ago.

Genji: Dawn of the Samurai
God of War
Inuyasha: Feudal Combat (i knew about this, even though i don't own it)
Jak II
Samurai Western
Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain

So not quite 10 more i know, i stoped adding to my list about a year ago, i could have ran across some more, but alas im stupid and didn't write them down if i did. :-/

These next 2 i seem to recall them having a 2nd side to there cover, but i don't own jak 3 yet, and God of War 2 is in the mail.

Can anybody confirm Jak 3 and God of War 2?

lendelin
11-30-2008, 09:18 PM
Back to the list fo Duel sided covers that i know about. Since i finaly found my list that i wrote down ages ago.

Genji: Dawn of the Samurai
God of War
Inuyasha: Feudal Combat (i knew about this, even though i don't own it)
Jak II
Samurai Western
Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain

So not quite 10 more i know, i stoped adding to my list about a year ago, i could have ran across some more, but alas im stupid and didn't write them down if i did. :-/

These next 2 i seem to recall them having a 2nd side to there cover, but i don't own jak 3 yet, and God of War 2 is in the mail.

Can anybody confirm Jak 3 and God of War 2?

Thanks, I didn't know God of War had a picture on the the other side of the cover, didn't know about Genji and Samurai Western either.

Here are the games I checked:

Jak 3 (standard version): no dual sided cover
Jak 2 (GH version) no dual sided cover
God of War (GH version) : dual-sided cover! (picture w/o PS2 logo))
God of War II (standard version) : dual sided cover! (picture w/o PS2 logo)

bcks007
11-30-2008, 09:33 PM
Jak 2 normal release for sure has it. Werid that the GH doesn't.

lendelin
11-30-2008, 11:03 PM
I added to the picture list for Inuyasha (Regular cases with extra content and variants) a pic of the Inuyasha trading card.

Thanks to Nate Nanjo who provided the picture of the card!

bcks007
12-01-2008, 04:56 PM
Eternal Poison raised a penny. :above me:

Arcana Heart doubled in price, aka back to the norm almost. Sure glad you got in on the deal before it left. :)

lendelin
12-03-2008, 05:18 AM
Added:

Kingdom Hearts RE: Chain of Memories.* Square Enix, Square Enix, 12/2/08.

The game kept its street date.

oremites
12-03-2008, 11:28 PM
Kingdom Hearts RE: Chain of Memories.* Square Enix, Square Enix, 12/2/08.

I'm curious about the strategy guide that was printed for the original version of this game - does anyone know how much the game was changed for the PS2 (other than the graphics)? That is, would the guide still be useful or were too many things changed?

bcks007
12-04-2008, 03:47 PM
Got my amazon shipment today, :)
Persona 3 Fes w artbook and soundtrack CD, is a new variant. A rather odd one, but imo it is. It comes in a box. But the box is the Persona 3 box, untill you flip it over to find a very, very different back to the box. It also has a upc that is different then the Persona 3 box, even though the boxs are 50% like each other. Not opened it up yet, will so, later tonight.

I will post more info later on, i have to go to work now. :(

lendelin
12-04-2008, 07:27 PM
Got my amazon shipment today, :)
Persona 3 Fes w artbook and soundtrack CD, is a new variant. A rather odd one, but imo it is. It comes in a box. But the box is the Persona 3 box, untill you flip it over to find a very, very different back to the box. It also has a upc that is different then the Persona 3 box, even though the boxs are 50% like each other. Not opened it up yet, will so, later tonight.

I will post more info later on, i have to go to work now. :(

Thanks for the info!

That's a surprise! I didn't even expect it comes in a box. If the box has indeed a different back cover from the persona 3 box it makes it a deluxe edition of Persona 3 Fes in its own right. (not a variant of persona 3 because it is a different game)

Just make sure that in the back of the shrinkwrapped box isn't just a one page insert over the back cover...but even in this case despite same art book and CD like in the persona 3 set, the game got its own deluxe edition! (with its own back cover or 'just' a little insert tailored towards FES if this were the case, doesn't matter, it's always an independent edition)

I ordered one from Amazon. Although it doesn't show images anymore, it is still advertised as "with soundtrack CD and artbook." So i hope I'll still get it with the box...the only reason I buy it since I have the FES stand alone game. (Actually, then I'd have a spare FES game to sell for later since the game in the set is identical with the standard version...not bad since there will be no money lost.)

Could you check the SLUS number on the box? The SLUS of the stand-alone-game is 21621. Any additional S or P on there?

btw, is this an Amazon exclusive?? Didn't see it offered by someone else, not by CC, Best Buy and Gamestop anyway.

koster
12-05-2008, 01:16 AM
Thanks for the info!

That's a surprise! I didn't even expect it comes in a box. If the box has indeed a different back cover from the persona 3 box it makes it a deluxe edition of Persona 3 Fes in its own right. (not a variant of persona 3 because it is a different game)

Just make sure that in the back of the shrinkwrapped box isn't just a one page insert over the back cover...but even in this case despite same art book and CD like in the persona 3 set, the game got its own deluxe edition! (with its own back cover or 'just' a little insert tailored towards FES if this were the case, doesn't matter, it's always an independent edition)

I ordered one from Amazon. Although it doesn't show images anymore, it is still advertised as "with soundtrack CD and artbook." So i hope I'll still get it with the box...the only reason I buy it since I have the FES stand alone game. (Actually, then I'd have a spare FES game to sell for later since the game in the set is identical with the standard version...not bad since there will be no money lost.)

Could you check the SLUS number on the box? The SLUS of the stand-alone-game is 21621. Any additional S or P on there?

btw, is this an Amazon exclusive?? Didn't see it offered by someone else, not by CC, Best Buy and Gamestop anyway.
I also ordered this game from Amazon. My copy is still sealed, but it appears to be the original Persona 3 box (SLUS 21569P) with an insert sheet on the back. The Persona 3 FES in the box has the same SLUS (21621) as the regular version.

bcks007
12-05-2008, 04:31 AM
How did you know about the page insert? I couldn't even see it had that until i opened it up tonight. It was over the back of the case, but underneath the plastic perfectly on my copy. I guess im blind. :(

Why would they add a insert with a upc even?, that's just stupid imo. :vamp:

Everything is the same. :( Just like koster said.

Not sure.

I hope you have time to cancel your order if wish, can't believe they did something so stupid like this, and i didn't see it. (feels duped) X_x

Btw,
Kingdom Hearts RE: Chain of Memories, is SLUS-21799.

lendelin
12-05-2008, 02:21 PM
How did you know about the page insert? I couldn't even see it had that until i opened it up tonight.

Just a hunch...it's not the first time and won't be the last time retailers do that.

I hope you have time to cancel your order if wish, can't believe they did something so stupid like this, and i didn't see it. (feels duped)

Nah, I won't cancel my order...and don't feel duped. I'm actually glad I ordered it. I will sell my sealed FES game for at least the price this set cost. I get an artbook and the CD, a box, and the little curious insert for free. It's actually a good deal....and I like to have the unique set with the unique insert ... better than just owning the stand alone game since the game is anyway in the box.

The set doesn't count as an edition, though, despite the insert. Amazon just exchanged the games of the Persona 3 set. If there were the FES Slus number on the box or none at all, then it would be a different matter. But as it stands, everyone of us could do what Amazon did and declare it a FES special edition.

BUT it is good to know that this set with a special insert sheet was for sale to prevent future misunderstandings; and I think it is great to own this set as a curiosity with the special insert on the back cover, far worse things developed to in-demand items in the past! Hang on to it :)

lendelin
12-05-2008, 02:52 PM
I also ordered this game from Amazon. My copy is still sealed, but it appears to be the original Persona 3 box (SLUS 21569P) with an insert sheet on the back. The Persona 3 FES in the box has the same SLUS (21621) as the regular version.

Thanks a lot! Yep, that's the old Persona 3 box with the Slus number...and that is exactly why the set can't be regarded as an edition, I think...still, very nice to have this set.

lendelin
12-07-2008, 12:00 AM
I added SMT Persona 4. Although the street date is December 9, the game ships already.

Additions:

Main list:

List of regular cases with extra content:
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4. Sold only in this edition with extra content. Included is a soundtrack CD. (SLUS xxxxx)

Noteworthy:

The game got a guide by Doublejump.

So far the dot hack series had the most entries. With this release the SMT series is on par with the dot hack series with seven games.

The list of upcoming releases grows thin (Ar tonelico 2). So far I don't know about other releases in 2009.

I also added a list with links to all RPG developers (not publishers); however, half of them are Japanese websites.

lendelin
12-07-2008, 08:12 PM
There were questions about the impact of the Growlanser Generations package on the end of Working Designs.

While searching for the websites of the developers I came across this interview with Victor Ireland from Working Designs in 2005 I remembered vaguely.

He talks about how much it hurt WD to be forced to package Growlanser II with Growlanser III together, and that the failed approval of Goemon by Sony was the final blow for the company.

Here is the link: Interview with Gamespot (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6141225.html)

jupitersj
12-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Sorry about never getting back to you with a better xenosaga lenticular picture lenadin ^^;

I haven't crawled through the rest of this thread but I did find out that disgaea non greatest hits has two US covers. One with a succubus on the bottom left on the front, and one with Laharl replacing the succubus.

Here's a tiny pic showing that variation

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/all/boxshots2/589678.jpg

Just in case this wasn't discussed >.>

lendelin
12-07-2008, 11:22 PM
Sorry about never getting back to you with a better xenosaga lenticular picture lenadin ^^;

Don't sweat. :) I got it recently and took a scan of the lenticular cover.

I haven't crawled through the rest of this thread but I did find out that disgaea non greatest hits has two US covers. One with a succubus on the bottom left on the front, and one with Laharl replacing the succubus.

Here's a tiny pic showing that variation

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/all/boxshots2/589678.jpg

Just in case this wasn't discussed >.>

Thanks so much, that's very important, I wasn't aware that there might be a cover variant out there.

I searched thoroughly but can't confirm the cover variant. Have you seen one?

This is what I found: In a Wikipedia article was mentioned that there are two different box arts for the US release. No further information.

If you enlarge the gamespot thumbnail which you cite on their website, the usual cover comes up (shown below), the one with the succubus on the bottom left corner. Gamefaqs also has a thumbnail of the cover with the screaming Laharl on the bottom left corner, but if enlarged - again - the scan shows the common cover we all have.

I looked around at ten different websites for covers of the game, none had the cover with Laharl on the bottom left corner. I looked through the ebay auctions - again, nothing. This alleged version might be a picture from a pre-release advertisement, I doubt that the game actually got this cover variant.

I never saw this version...but if someone here has this alleged version, that means a different one than the one shown below, PLEASE, let us know and post a pic of it!!

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u104/lendelin/XXXXDisgaea-UPLOAD.jpg

bcks007
12-08-2008, 05:34 AM
Kingdom Hearts RE: Chain of Memories is under $20 on amazon right now. :)

I think there could also be 2-3 varaints for this game already. Amazon has a very shnny looking artwork, mention collectiable artwork on it. I also see people mentioning something about cards, and im also guessing there is a version with none of those.

I hope someone can get info to fill me in on this....

jupitersj
12-08-2008, 01:09 PM
I actually found the thread on GameFAQs where people were discussing it (Disgaea) someone mentioned the later print runs have laharl and his friends got that but wanted succubus.

Asking on atlus forums might help

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=945236&topic=46986424

here i found the discussion

lendelin
12-08-2008, 03:12 PM

Circuit City started to sell it for $20, then Amazon followed.

I think there could also be 2-3 varaints for this game already. Amazon has a very shnny looking artwork, mention collectiable artwork on it. I also see people mentioning something about cards, and im also guessing there is a version with none of those.

The cards were a pre-order offer by Amazon. (3 postcards) Just attached to the game or something else...well, Amazon was vague about it as always.

I looked at the referred Amazon customer images here LINK (http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B001G3B0HC/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_all)

The new unopened box has a sticker, BUT it is still a sealed box..if the sticker is on the shrinkwrap it wouldn't count.

But what I really find surprising is that the cover looks indeed different. The white clouds of the standard cover are replaced by grey clouds, no idea what to do with that. (can't be that just the pic is dark)

The second question is if the cards are inside the game case or just attached on the back of the regular case and then it got resealed.

Assuming that there is indeed a release with a special cover (dark, with sticker) and cards, then we would end up with two (not three) variants because it seems the cover is associated with the cards.

lendelin
12-08-2008, 03:21 PM
I actually found the thread on GameFAQs where people were discussing it (Disgaea) someone mentioned the later print runs have laharl and his friends got that but wanted succubus.

Asking on atlus forums might help

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=945236&topic=46986424

here i found the discussion

Thanks for the link!

Again, it's all speculation and claims. I looked around further about box art images. Very often the alleged box art comes up with RP (Rating Pending), sometimes with the normal T rating...and they are always thumbnails. Very suspicious.

I'm skeptical that this cover exists; and if it were the standard later printing it would be all over the place. I certainly bought my copy one year or two yeras after it was released. (Things are a bit more complicated because of the reprint...Disgaea like SMT Digital Devil Saga got reprinted but was always readily available) IF it exists then it was an early printing, but I still have to see one to believe it.

BUT I really appreciate it that you made us aware of it! We should certainly keep our eyes peeled and look further into it. It is unlikely that this cover exists, but it is possible.

lendelin
12-08-2008, 10:44 PM

No variants, no nothing. :) BUT it was good that you alerted us with possible variants because I wasn't aware that the game comes standard with three postcards. I put it in the 'regular cases with extra content'-list. Seems you can't sell a RPG for the PS2 with some sort of something in the last hurrah days of the console.

Since I was anyway looking for clearance bin deals at BB and CC today, I checked Kingdom Hearts RE and picked one up for $20.

Every game has on the shrinkwrap the little sticker, every game has the half-holographic cover with the dark clouds, and every game comes standard with three postcards in a wrapper. I put pics up of everything in the picture list.

The cover with the whiter clouds are pre-release ad pictures; (I suspect this happened with the Disgaea cover, too) The clouds were made whiter in pre-release pics because this holographic part doesn't come over well in pics.

I guess until a GH release there won't be a variant. There might be one a couple of months from now, who knows. ...and...Amazon tried to 'sell' the standard extra items as a pre-order bonus, that's all.

lendelin
12-08-2008, 10:49 PM
Added to the list of regular cases with extra content:

11) Kingdom Hearts RE: Chain of Memories. Sold only in this version with extra content. Included in a wrapper are three postcards picturing game characters. (SLUS 21799)

I also put pictures up of the game cover, disc, manual and the three cards in the picture list. (section 4.B.)

jupitersj
12-08-2008, 11:08 PM
Couple more games and I'll have every ps2 rpg too >.< I've been picking up the last few. I'm also trying to obtain every ps2 rpg strat guide...19 more guides to go :onfire:

bcks007
12-09-2008, 04:05 AM
Check gamefaqs boards for people talking about getting there $20 copy at Circuit City and it doesn't come with the cards.
I also found out those cards are packed inside the ps2 case.

So there should be a with and without card versions. I wasn't sure about the special cover that i saw. Thats why i said there might be 3, but right now there is 2.

lendelin
12-09-2008, 05:47 AM
Couple more games and I'll have every ps2 rpg too >.< I've been picking up the last few. I'm also trying to obtain every ps2 rpg strat guide...19 more guides to go :onfire:

Great! If you have all the games I wanna see some pictures! I love to look at genre collections.I'm still missing 3 variants and seven guides, but I didn't make efforts to get the guides.

lendelin
12-09-2008, 05:56 AM
Check gamefaqs boards for people talking about getting there $20 copy at Circuit City and it doesn't come with the cards.

So there should be a with and without card versions. I wasn't sure about the special cover that i saw. Thats why i said there might be 3, but right now there is 2.

Yep, the cards are inside the case, I bought one and posted pics of them.

All the games I saw had the sticker on them, the half holographic cover which made it darker than what we ususally see in advertisements (the illustration of the manual is actually the pic used to advertise the game), and the cards inside.

Do people report that the game without the cards has a different cover, the whiter one? or is the the game without the cards sold with the same boxart?

Thanks for bringing it up!! If this is true then it has to be noted in the list and the game has to go in the variants list as well!

Well, I'll look around and keep my eyes open, still haven't seen one w/o the cards.

lendelin
12-09-2008, 03:23 PM
Today I got SMT Persona 4. One odd thing: the SLUS number is 21782B. This is the first time I see a B added on a SLUS number. P, S, and GH I understand, but B? What could a B stand for? Or does it indicate a (upcoming?) variant of the game?

btw, the artbook that came with it as a bonus item is not bad at all. Nice drawings, good pic quality, and in an oversized mag format.

bcks007
12-09-2008, 08:14 PM
B stands for bonus disc or bonus. I have a few that are like that and know of another.
Was in that way on the disc or just the case?

Goosebumps Horrorland (box with book), is SLUS-21834B. (don't own)

Backyard Football 2009 (box with book)(Walmart), SLUS-21670B for the outer box, and SLUS-21809 for the inner game. (whoever made this set, sure messed up on the slus code on the box, as its the slus code for Backyard Football 2008.)

And 1 Streetball (with bonus disc), is SLUS-21237B, the normal is SLUS-21237.

Btw what does P stand for? I've seen a few games and even own a few that have a P at the end, but i don't see anything that makes them special.

lendelin
12-09-2008, 09:58 PM
B stands for bonus disc or bonus. I have a few that are like that and know of another.
Was in that way on the disc or just the case?

The additional B is on the case and disc. Never saw that one before.

Goosebumps Horrorland (box with book), is SLUS-21834B. (don't own)

Just saw this one yesterday in a clearance bin. Because of the unusual comic book I did a price check, but it was $20...that meant 'thanks but no thanks' for me. For $10 it had been a 'maybe,' for $5 I'd have picked it up.

Btw what does P stand for? I've seen a few games and even own a few that have a P at the end, but i don't see anything that makes them special.

P stands for Premium. A couple of PS2 RPGs have it, like the two Growlanser sets, the Persona 3 set, or Digimon World 4 with the card.

There is no consistency whatsoever with the additional P, S, or B in a SLUS number. Some games with extra content have it, others don't.

lendelin
12-09-2008, 10:04 PM
Below the list of the guides by Doublejump I added a list of all the developers with links to their websites plus the number and titles of the games they produced.

It is actually pretty fun and interesting to poke around the websites, in particular the Japanese ones.

I also added this trivia remark that isn't so trivial at all, I think:

The Busiest Developers

1) Square Enix (11 games)
2) Atlus, Cyberconnect2 (7 games each)
3) Namco Bandai, Nippon Ichi Software (6 games each)
4) Gust, Konami (5 games each)
5) FromSoftware, Level-5, Media Vision, Snowblind Studios (4 games each)

Concentration Process: These 11 developers produced almost half of the game library (63 games = 47%) although they represent only 18% of the total number of developers (59). If the games by subsidiaries of bigger companies (like Career Soft and Amusement Vision) are counted as games of the bigger companies, then the trend towards concentration is even stronger.

If we'd do the same for publishers the concentration would be much higher.

bcks007
12-10-2008, 07:44 AM
I have Cabela's African Safari, which apparently is the Premium version of this game. It is SLUS-21379P. I've been searching for the normal SLUS-21379, but have yet to find it. I can't for the life of me figure out why it has a P at the end. Possibly it was gonna be a special set, but at the last second it was turned into a normal release only, what do you think?

Where did you see Goosebumps Horrorland for $20? I always like to get the tricky variants out of the way when i see them. There a pain to track down later on, cause you never know what they should have come with usually, and there quality of the items get worse if used.

For Persona 4, i bet they either have plans for another release, or possibly another artwork on the cd like working designs games.

I also had a weird thought, have you ever seen those fake greatest hits stickers that some stores put over new sealed copys to make them look like there now $20 and a GH release? Possibly at one time, maybe Dark Cloud 2 and Ico, got this treatment, and that is why some sites have claimed that GH versions of those 2 exist.
I know the game Avatar: The Last Airbender, at my local best buy has this fake sticker on it. I've checked ebay for it a few times, and all i find of a GH release are the fake sticker versions. This is really the only proof i have for why Dark Cloud 2 and Ico are listed as being GH.

I recently read about the re-release of ICO around the same time as Shadow of the Colossus, and that the manual for ICO might have changed a bit. I'm currently looking into this. I wonder how much it went for at stores when it was released, anybody know?

Press_Start
12-10-2008, 10:15 PM
Just picked my Persona 4 today and I must say I was...a bit disappointed. :(

Was expecting a similar setup to Persona 3, a nice box with game, artwork, and music when put together looks really neat. The mismatched sizes of the artbook and game makes it look at out of place compared to previous Atlus games.

lendelin
12-11-2008, 02:17 AM
I have Cabela's African Safari, which apparently is the Premium version of this game. It is SLUS-21379P. I've been searching for the normal SLUS-21379, but have yet to find it. I can't for the life of me figure out why it has a P at the end. Possibly it was gonna be a special set, but at the last second it was turned into a normal release only, what do you think?

No mentioning of someting included on the back cover? (maybe they wanted to include a gift certificate for a real lion, or worse, for an entrance ticket for the zoo?) Yeah, the additions to the Slus numbers lack any consistency.

Where did you see Goosebumps Horrorland for $20? I always like to get the tricky variants out of the way when i see them. There a pain to track down later on, cause you never know what they should have come with usually, and there quality of the items get worse if used.

In a clearance bin at Best Buy. Because of the thick comic book I was curious and would have picked it up for around $5. I wouldn't worry if I were you to get it at some point VERY cheap. Stuff like this is never in demand.

For Persona 4, i bet they either have plans for another release, or possibly another artwork on the cd like working designs games.

I doubt it. The B just refers to the CD included, I can't imagine Atlus will go for another version of very late release for the PS2.

I also had a weird thought, have you ever seen those fake greatest hits stickers that some stores put over new sealed copys to make them look like there now $20 and a GH release? Possibly at one time, maybe Dark Cloud 2 and Ico, got this treatment, and that is why some sites have claimed that GH versions of those 2 exist.
I know the game Avatar: The Last Airbender, at my local best buy has this fake sticker on it. I've checked ebay for it a few times, and all i find of a GH release are the fake sticker versions. This is really the only proof i have for why Dark Cloud 2 and Ico are listed as being GH.

I remember vaguely, not sure. But this tells you how careful we should be determining what actually exists.

I'm convinced that the Disgaea cover with Laharl is a rumor, too. Or look at the Kingdom Hearts RE cover which are out there on the web. The 'white' cover was already posted in mid-September on various game websites with a RP rating, then with the normal ESRB rating. Posted on websites, pictures of it, discussed, and in particular gamespot and gamefaqs use pre-release ad pictures from 3 months before the release and don't bother to change them if the actual cover later looks different...and years after it becomes slowly a reality.

BTW, have you seen Kingdom Hearts RE sold without the cards and/or with a different cover? That it gets sold w/o the cards is really possible because there is no mentioning of them on the back or front cover, just the sticker on the shrinkwrap. If it sells w/o the cards then it schould go in the variants list.

I recently read about the re-release of ICO around the same time as Shadow of the Colossus, and that the manual for ICO might have changed a bit. I'm currently looking into this. I wonder how much it went for at stores when it was released, anybody know?

No clue about a changed manual. The original release was $50, but I really don't know if the game got a second release.

lendelin
12-11-2008, 04:01 AM
Just a heads up:

Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories for $20 is the "Deal of the Day" from AMAZON. LINK (http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=vg_nav_hp_dotd?ie=UTF8&docId=1000208101&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=browse&pf_rd_r=0FTPA0345D7T2XBVR2H7&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=457819601&pf_rd_i=468642)

The offer lasts until Friday morning (around 1am).

Not a big deal since the game (new) is around for this price. But if you don't want to bother with ebay or some overpriced websites, Amazon offers for orders over $25 free shipping, and like always no taxes.

bcks007
12-11-2008, 04:18 AM
It's $25 for amazon to get free shipping btw.

BTW, have you seen Kingdom Hearts RE sold without the cards and/or with a different cover? That it gets sold w/o the cards is really possible because there is no mentioning of them on the back or front cover, just the sticker on the shrinkwrap. If it sells w/o the cards then it schould go in the variants list.

Yes, you must have missed my post there. ^ I can't speak for it 100%, im just going off what other people have said.

lendelin
12-11-2008, 09:57 PM
Yes, you must have missed my post there. ^ I can't speak for it 100%, im just going off what other people have said.

Nah, I read it and looked around on gamefaqs. I'm not very familiar with the site, but the few times I searched for information it wasn't very reliable. I couldn't find the related discussion...one thing is for sure, these folks create way too many threads about way too unimportant things. :)

Vague claims are not enough, I'm careful. If you or someone from this board gives the information or if I see Kingdom Hearts RE sold without the cards, then I'll put it in the variants category and make a note of it in the list for 'regular cases with extra content.'

The only noticeable difference between sealed games would then be the little sticker on the shrinkwrap.

lendelin
12-11-2008, 10:01 PM
Just to make sure noone misses this deal who does not have Disgaea 2 yet.

Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories for $20 is the "Deal of the Day" from AMAZON. LINK (http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=vg_nav_hp_dotd?ie=UTF8&docId=1000208101&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=browse&pf_rd_r=0FTPA0345D7T2XBVR2H7&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=457819601&pf_rd_i=468642)

The offer lasts until Friday morning (around 1am).

lendelin
12-12-2008, 09:18 PM
I made changes to the listings. I removed the 'Game Developers' section with links, number of games and titles. This list was just terribly long.

I replaced it with a smaller but more interesting list of "Multi-Platform Games." To list the exclusive PS2 titles would have been too long. 114 games of the entire library, that means 80%, are PS2 exclusives, an amazing number.

Here is the list of multi-platform games. If you notice mistakes please let us know. Note that PC releases and releases for handheld systems are not considered.

3. Miscellaneous

A. Multi-Platform Titles*

01) Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance (GameCube, Xbox)
02) Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance II (Xbox)
03) Bard’s Tale, The (Xbox)
04) Baroque (Wii)
05) Digimon World 4 (GameCube, Xbox)
06) Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel (Xbox)
07) Future Tactics: The Uprising (GameCube, Xbox)
08) Gladius (GameCube, Xbox)
09) Grandia II (Dreamcast)
10) Justice League Heroes (Xbox)
11) Lord of the Rings, The: The Third Age (GameCube, Xbox)
12) Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (PlayStation 3, Wii, Xbox, Xbox 360)
13) Mega Man X: Command Mission (GameCube)
14) Phantasy Star Universe (Xbox 360)
15) Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of the Illuminus (Xbox 360 Download)
16) Summoner (GameCube)
17) Summoner 2 (GameCube as "Summoner: A Goddess Reborn")
18) Virtua Quest (GameCube)
19) X-Men Legends (GameCube, Xbox)
20) X-Men Legends II: Rise of the Apocalypse (GameCube, Xbox)

*Consoles only

bcks007
12-13-2008, 03:44 AM
So i guess Sega Genesis Collection for the PsP doesn't count? :p

esquire
12-13-2008, 02:05 PM
So i guess Sega Genesis Collection for the PsP doesn't count? :p

Final Fantasy XI Online (360) too.

Also Disgaea (PSP, NDS)

lendelin
12-13-2008, 02:42 PM
bcks007 and esquire, as I noted no handheld releases. Also MMO RPGs and the borderline cases are not considered, only games in the main list.

With Disgaea and the Genesis collection I struggled, but stuck with the no handheld games rule because for others I had to list them which are really different kind of beasts.

So...releases for handhelds and the PC are excluded.

Surprising for me was (because I didn't know better) that Virtua Quest is also on the GameCube, and that Baldur's Gate II was not released for the GameCube.

Also noteworthy is that the two X-Men Legends games for the Xbox run in true 720p and look fantastic (clarity) on an HDTV. I played them on the Xbox, didn't even cross my mind to play them on the PS2.

lendelin
12-14-2008, 12:55 AM
I revised the Multiple Titles list. I could see how the MMO RPGs and the borderline cases should be included. The releases for PC and handheld systems are not considered. So, no Puzzle Quest for the DS and PSP, Monster Hunter Freedom for the PSP, Sega Genesis Collection for the PSP, or Marvel Ultimate Alliance for the PSP and GBA.

If the MMO RPGs and borderline games are included, the PS2 exclusives are 83% of the entire game library.

Here is the revised list.

3. Miscellaneous

A. Multi-Platform Titles*

01) Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance (GameCube, Xbox)
02) Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance II (Xbox)
03) Bard’s Tale, The (Xbox)
04) Baroque (Wii)
05) Digimon World 4 (GameCube, Xbox)
06) Dokapon Kingdom (Wii)
07) Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel (Xbox)
08) Final Fantasy XI (Xbox 360)
09) Final Fantasy XI: Chains of Promathia (Xbox 360)
10) Final Fantasy XI: Treasures of Aht Urhgan (Xbox 360)
11) Final Fantasy XI: Vana’diel Collection 2008 (Xbox 360)
12) Final Fantasy XI: Wings of the Goddess (Xbox 360)
13) Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone (Xbox)
14) Future Tactics: The Uprising (GameCube, Xbox)
15) Gladius (GameCube, Xbox)
16) Grandia II (Dreamcast)
17) Justice League Heroes (Xbox)
18) Lord of the Rings, The: The Third Age (GameCube, Xbox)
19) Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (PlayStation 3, Wii, Xbox, Xbox 360)
20) Mega Man X: Command Mission (GameCube)
21) Phantasy Star Universe (Xbox 360)
22) Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of the Illuminus (Download Xbox 360)
23) Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords (Wii, Download PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360)
24) Summoner (GameCube)
25) Summoner 2 (GameCube as "Summoner: A Goddess Reborn")
26) Virtua Quest (GameCube)
27) Warriors of Might and Magic (PlayStation)
28) X-Men Legends (GameCube, Xbox)
29) X-Men Legends II: Rise of the Apocalypse (GameCube, Xbox)

*MMO RPGs and borderline cases included; consoles only

lendelin
12-14-2008, 01:05 AM
Culdcept.* Omiya Soft, NEC Interchannel, 11/25/03.
Dokapon Kingdom.* Sting, Atlus, 10/14/08.
Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords.* Vicious Cycle, D3 Publisher, 11/13/07.

I added these three titles to the borderline category. They were proposed and we struggled to put them in there. But to be inclusionary I think it's safe to regard them as borderline.

The titles are board game/puzzle/RPG hybrids. Dokapon Kingdom and Puzzle Quest Challenge of the Warlords convinced me to put them in the list, and then of course Culdcept had to follow.

If you know other games of the board game/puzzle/RPG hybrid kind that should be included, let us know.

Turn-based battle systems, levelling up, experience points and use of magic, borrowed weak elements from strategy/tactical RPGs combined with board game and puzzle game elements, plus the always elusive RPG-feel of important parts of the game justify their inclusion, I think.

bcks007
12-14-2008, 05:43 PM
I think atlus has plans for Persona 4 having a 2nd cover, here is why.
If you check for the PDSS number, it is PDSS-030927 on the artwork. If you check the back of the dvd, it is PDSS-030925.
There is no reason a different PDSS number unless you have another cd artwork planed, or another release planed. Of course, it could always be canceled, or never come out. But based on the PDSS numbers not matching up, like 99.9% of all ps2 games do, then something is planed at the very least. I'm guessing they wanted a way to distinguish the bonus disc version from a none bonus disc version that might be coming out.

lendelin
12-14-2008, 10:18 PM
I think atlus has plans for Persona 4 having a 2nd cover, here is why.
If you check for the PDSS number, it is PDSS-030927 on the artwork. If you check the back of the dvd, it is PDSS-030925.
There is no reason a different PDSS number unless you have another cd artwork planed, or another release planed. Of course, it could always be canceled, or never come out. But based on the PDSS numbers not matching up, like 99.9% of all ps2 games do, then something is planed at the very least. I'm guessing they wanted a way to distinguish the bonus disc version from a none bonus disc version that might be coming out.

A release of Persona 4 without the CD is a possibility for sure. Interesting observation, I never paid attention to the PDSS numbers.

In all likelihood the new Kingdom Hearts will be sold w/o the cards, too (if not already). Nothing on the covers referring to the cards, just the sticker on the shrinkwrap.

...and...I really hope you're wrong with another Persona 4 edition. :)

lendelin
12-14-2008, 10:32 PM
At the top of the OP I added links to bragging rights threads with pics of completed RPG collections. The only two that came to mind was Daria's PS1 thread and mine for the PS2.

I just love to look at genre collections. It gives incentives to go after the games, awakens the old evergreen idea of "I should have this one, too," and brings back fond gaming memories. In particular RPGs (like 2D- platformers) seem to age very well.

If you know other threads with pics of RPG collections let us know.

Press_Start
12-14-2008, 11:23 PM
Zone of the Enders
Zone of the Enders: 2nd Runner

Don't know if these were suggested already. A search of the thread didn't turn up anything, but you never know.

Z.O.E. is an awesome mecha action/RPG produced by the one and only Hideo Kojima. Though it has an experience system, the games tend to be more action than RPG with skill and strategy known in. The graphics, by far, are the most stunning and impressive I've seen from Konami on the PS2. Make me wonder how much better the Suikoden could have been if Kojima was in charge.

Daria
12-15-2008, 09:46 AM
My Genesis collection is done as well.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82306

Although that topic should be updated with recent pictures.

lendelin
12-15-2008, 04:50 PM
Zone of the Enders
Zone of the Enders: 2nd Runner

Don't know if these were suggested already. A search of the thread didn't turn up anything, but you never know.

Z.O.E. is an awesome mecha action/RPG produced by the one and only Hideo Kojima. Though it has an experience system, the games tend to be more action than RPG with skill and strategy known in. The graphics, by far, are the most stunning and impressive I've seen from Konami on the PS2. Make me wonder how much better the Suikoden could have been if Kojima was in charge.

I loved the Zone of the Enders games, fantastic (!) games and underappreciated, one of the best game experiences I had on the PS2, with spot-on controls. However, to add them to a RPG list?? As you pointed out, weak RPG elements are thrown in to flavor the game, and it is clearly on the action side. I wouldn't regard them even borderline cases.

lendelin
12-15-2008, 04:55 PM
My Genesis collection is done as well.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82306

Although that topic should be updated with recent pictures.

Added. Great! Great to look at. The only games I have are Crusader of Centy, Sword of Vermillion, and Landstalker. I have way more shmups than RPGs for the Genesis.

I think jupitersj for the PS2 and RPG Fanatic for the PS1 should have soon also complete RPG collections...if not already. I hope you guys will post pics.

Press_Start
12-15-2008, 05:55 PM
I loved the Zone of the Enders games, fantastic (!) games and underappreciated, one of the best game experiences I had on the PS2, with spot-on controls. However, to add them to a RPG list?? As you pointed out, weak RPG elements are thrown in to flavor the game, and it is clearly on the action side. I wouldn't regard them even borderline cases.

To me if you got an experience system, then you're a RPG. To each his own, I guess.

lendelin
12-15-2008, 09:51 PM
To me if you got an experience system, then you're a RPG. To each his own, I guess.

Well, in lack of a good RPG definition it is indeed in the end 'to each his own,' or better: over 90% of the games in the main list (excluding borderline cases) are undisputed, the rest is up to everyone to include or exclude titles.

I didn't mean to be rude. But an experience system alone is not enough to make a RPG, otherwise you'd end up easily with around 100 more PS2 games in the RPG list. Even some sports games.

I think we can agree that a RPG should have some kind of statistics which define and describe certain attributes or skills of game characters, and that there should be some kind of method to influence these statistics. But beyond that? Or even these gameplay elements might be not necessary? Turned based battle systems or not? No matter how we define a RPG, you'll always end up with cases you exclude and actually intend to include and vice versa.

In the era of hybrid games (based on old genre categorizations) it is sometimes a matter of an elusive feeling which games should be regarded as RPGs.

One thing is for sure: not every game with an experience system is a RPG.

Daria
12-18-2008, 07:35 PM
RPGamer posted an interview where NIS states that X-Edge, Sakura Wars and Mana Khemia II are due to be released in 09.

http://www.rpgamer.com/features/2008/nisainterview.html

X-Edge just seems to have NIS America all over it. It features characters from Disgaea, Mana Khemia, Ar tonelico, Spectral Souls, and the Atelier series. I mean, come on, there are even Prinnies. When should we expect to see it in North America?

NISA: X-Edge is an interesting project since it's a collaboration between 3 different companies. It's pretty funny to see a little Prinny fight characters from Darkstalkers like Morrigan and Demitri.

The release date isn't finalized yet, but it's going to be in March 09.

A little birdie told us that someone was finally getting brave enough to localize a game in the Sakura Wars series, mainly the fifth game in the main series for the PS2. Would that be NIS America, and what can you tell us about the game?

NISA: Haha, your birdie knows too much. Let's just say the game is in the works by an undisclosed company. I've heard somewhere that the game should come out in '09.

So, just curious. Since the PS2 refuses to die, should we expect Mana Khemia 2 to make it over here as well?

NISA: We haven't made any formal announcements, but yes please expect to see Mana Khemia 2. The game is definitely an improvement over the original, so please look forward to it.

Daria
12-19-2008, 08:53 AM
Am I the only one really excited for Mana Khemia II?

lendelin
12-20-2008, 07:45 AM
Am I the only one really excited for Mana Khemia II?

Nope, you're not the only one, that's really good news. Terriffic that Mana Khemia will be released, and that traditional RPGs and startegy RPGs will still find their way to the PS2 in 2009. I was hoping that after Ar tonelico 2 the sequel to Mana Khemia will end up in the US as well.

I'll update the list of upcoming releases later. I'm home in Germany visiting Family until mid-January, and the struggle with a German Keyboard where the letters are a bit differently arranged is as nerve-wrecking as the last big dragon fight in Dragon Quest VIII. :)

Daria
12-20-2008, 10:36 PM
My bad. X-Edge is a PS3 game. Still.

bcks007
01-25-2009, 05:22 AM
This topic needs a life saving bump.

Ar tonelico 2: Melody of Metafalica did indeed make street date. :)

For some goods deals on amazon on a few rpgs.
Metal Saga $9.97
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000E41KXS/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

Puzzle Quest: Challenge Of The Warlords $9.97
http://www.amazon.com/Puzzle-Quest-Challenge-Warlords-Playstation-2/dp/B000SKMF1Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1232882294&sr=1-1

You back home yet Klaus?