11-24-2005, 05:58 AM
no content

Sylentwulf
11-24-2005, 06:09 AM
Tagging this for future reference.

tylerwillis
11-24-2005, 07:07 AM
Drakengard is probably borderline.
IGN claims that Future Tactics: The Uprising is a SRPG.

Both listed on RPGamer:
Dark Angel: Vampire Apocalypse
Magic Pengel: The Quest for Color.

Trebuken
11-24-2005, 05:21 PM
Monster Hunter?

Maybe...

Later,
Trebuken

lendelin
11-24-2005, 10:40 PM
Tylerwillis and Trebuken, great checking! Thanks a lot.

I updated the list. Future Tactics, Magic Pengel, Dark Angel, and Monster Hunter are added, and I put Drakengard in the Borderline category.

I missed these games indeed, but one game was unknown to me and I had to look it up: Dark Angel Vampire Apocalypse. One of the early RPGs I completely overlooked.

At the end of its lifecycle, the PS2 will have more RPGs than the PS1, probably 100 to 110 which is pretty amazing. (around 80 PS2 exclusives) I never thought the number of RPGs for the PS1 would be topped.

Trebuken
11-25-2005, 03:07 PM
EB/Gamestop are having their Buy 2 Get 1 sale this weekend so I went RPG hunting (your fault for giving me the idea). Came across one more (yes I bought it), that isn't on the list...
It's borderline...though I might lean toward putting it in an action category, I think it could work as an RPG.

Devil Kings.

Though I think if this were included you'd then have to look at the Castlevania Games, and maybe even Dynasty Warriors...and then Devil May Cry....

Maybe someone who had played it can be more definitive about it.

Later,
Trebuken

stressboy
11-25-2005, 03:22 PM
Thanks for this. I have been looking for a good RPG list.

lendelin
11-25-2005, 10:39 PM
Devil Kings.

Though I think if this were included you'd then have to look at the Castlevania Games, and maybe even Dynasty Warriors...and then Devil May Cry....

Maybe someone who had played it can be more definitive about it.

Later,
Trebuken

Devil Kings is a straightforward Dynasty Warriors clone, it is as clonelike as it can get. If included you'll end up with all Dynasty Warriors as a 'RPG,' and then there is indeed no line anymore for Onimusha and Devil May Cry and possibly even Madden NFL.

I'll buy Devil Kings as well. :)

I added the two RPG Makers (II and 3). A tough call as well, but if you can 'design' your own RPG and play around with it, it is a RPG. If it looks, walks, and quacks like a duck, it should be probably on a duck list.

lendelin
11-27-2005, 03:13 AM
Added Gladius as a Strategy RPG.

shoes23
11-27-2005, 03:41 AM
I was under the impression that Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone was an action game. I think that it needs to be removed.

swlovinist
11-27-2005, 12:02 PM
Excellent list for people. I had a question, where to the Romance Games, PTO IV, and Naval Ops Warship Gunner and Commander fit?

sisko
11-27-2005, 12:57 PM
I highly disagree with Future Tactics.

It's more of a Worms clone than anything. In fact, it doesn't really have ANY RPG elements what so ever. If it simply MUST be in the list, put it in the borderline section.

Also, some fancy highlighting might be nice (eg red for bad games, green for good ones)

lendelin
11-30-2005, 12:09 AM

It's more of a Worms clone than anything. In fact, it doesn't really have ANY RPG elements what so ever. If it simply MUST be in the list, put it in the borderline section.

Also, some fancy highlighting might be nice (eg red for bad games, green for good ones)

Future Tactics is certainly a unique blend of RPG-strategy elements and action lacking 'traditional' subtle and sophisticated movement calculation, but it is still more on the strategy side: a turn-based battle system and limited movement justifies to put it in the strategy genre albeit it is a new take on it.

About indicating bad and good games: I'm not going there due to unavoidable BIG discussions. :) Someones FF X is someones Orphen. The intent was just to deliver a nice, ready to go cut-and-paste list, and then everyone is free to pick and or to delete. It isn't a popal, ultimate list by any means, just complete and inclusionary as possible. Borderline cases and very thin lines between genres are a given.

lendelin
11-30-2005, 12:19 AM
I was under the impression that Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone was an action game. I think that it needs to be removed.

Thanks guy. You're right. I put it in the borderline category. I have the game, read previews and reviews, but never played it; I put it just from a feeling level and past misperceptions on the list, but checking reviews again it is certainly not a RPG; otherwise Devil May Cry and the two Lord of the Rings by EA should be included as well.

You could even argue it shouldn't be in the borderline category, but well, let the feelings dominate if in doubt. :)

sisko
11-30-2005, 12:34 AM

Future Tactics is certainly a unique blend of RPG-strategy elements and action lacking 'traditional' subtle and sophisticated movement calculation, but it is still more on the strategy side: a turn-based battle system and limited movement justifies to put it in the strategy genre albeit it is a new take on it.

Then by that logic, Worms 3D definitely needs to be added to the list, and likely Worms Forts (haven't played the latter).

Biff_McFresh
11-30-2005, 12:46 AM
Good list.

*Tagged for future reference*

yok-dfa
11-30-2005, 03:28 AM
Excellent list for people. I had a question, where to the Romance Games, PTO IV, and Naval Ops Warship Gunner and Commander fit?

If Naval Ops Warship gunner makes it to the list, then Seek & Destroy should be added too. That is much more like an RPG than the former...

Oobgarm
11-30-2005, 07:46 AM
A couple notes before I list what I have in the DP Online Guide master file:

It's tough to categorize games now that they've started to borrow RPG elements to give the title some length and depth. I've tried to categorize them as best as I can, but I'd love to hear what everyone thinks.

I have Magic Pengel and games of that ilk (like Monster Rancher) listed as Life Development titles since they focus on creating/raising a character and fighting with the a'la Pokemon Stadium. Magic Pengel blurs the line...it has RPG elements in it, but they aren't the main focus of the game. Even the package classifies it as an adventure game.

I never saw the Fullmetal Alchemist games as RPGs. They're more like beat-em-up type games, IMO.

Heroes of Might and Magic and Gladius are what I consider 'Action Strategy', or what the DP guide refers to as 'Battle-centric'. I wouldn't consider them full-blown RPGs. Could Future Tactics fit in here?

Anyway, here's the list, broken down by classifications.

First Person RPGs:

Eternal Ring
King's Field: The Ancient City

MMO RPGs:

EverQuest: Online Adventures (I'd consider the 7-day trial more of a demo)
EverQuest: Online Adventures: Frontiers
Final Fantasy XI: [w/Hard Disk Drive]
Final Fantasy XI: Chains of Promathia
Monster Hunter

Third-Person Real-Time RPGs, Hack-and-Slash:

.Hack 1: Infection
.Hack 2: Mutation
.Hack 3: Outbreak
.Hack 4: Quarantine
Arc the Lad: End of Darkness
Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II
Bard's Tale, The: Song of the Bard
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
Champions of Norrath: Realms of Everquest
Champions: Return to Arms
Dark Angel: Vampire Apocalypse
Dark Cloud
Dark Cloud 2
Demon Stone: Forgotten Realms
Dual Hearts
Evergrace
Forever Kingdom
Legion: Legend of Excalibur
Orphen: Scion of Sorcery
Radiata Stories
Shining Force NEO
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
Summoner
Summoner 2
Virtua Quest
Warriors of Might & Magic
X-Men Legends
X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse
Ys: The Ark of Napishtim

Turn-Based and Turn-Based Strategy RPGs:

Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
Ephemeral Fantasia
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Grandia 2
Grandia Xtreme
Growlanser: Generations
Growlanser: Generations Deluxe
InuYasha: The Secret of the Cursed Mask
Jade Cocoon 2
Kingdom Hearts
La Pucelle: Tactics
Legaia 2: Duel Saga
Legend of Alon D'ar, The
Lord of the Rings, The: The Third Age
Magna Carta: Tears of Blood
Makai Kingdom: Chronicles of the Sacred Tome
Mega Man X: Command Mission
Nightmare Of Druaga: Fushigino Dungeon
Okage: Shadow King
Phantom Brave
Romancing SaGa: Ministrel Song
RPG Maker 2
RPG Maker 3
Shadow Hearts
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Shaman King: Power of Spirit
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Shining Tears
Stella Deus: The Gate of Eternity
Suikoden III
Suikoden IV
Suikoden Tactics
Tsugunai: Atonement
Unlimited SaGa
Wild Arms 3
Wild Arms: Alter Code F
Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land
XenoSaga: Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht
XenoSaga: Episode II: Jenseits von Gut und Bose

Turn-Based/Battle-Centric

Gladius
Heroes of Might and Magic: Quest for the DragonBone Staff

drummy
11-30-2005, 10:21 AM
This thread is awesome. I've been looking for some real-time RPGs. Thanks.

lendelin
11-30-2005, 10:31 PM
Oobgarm, great list ---about Fullmetal Alchemist: I'd leave them in there.

There are two games I overlooked which are in your list --- Virtua Quest and Legion: The Legend of Excalibur. I have to look them up and then decide if they should be included or not.

RPGs are hard to define nowadays, and the lines to adventure and action adventure games are awfully thin sometimes.

lendelin
11-30-2005, 10:37 PM

Then by that logic, Worms 3D definitely needs to be added to the list, and likely Worms Forts (haven't played the latter).

I never played Worms 3D (puts his head down in shame) -- but then I have around 70% of the games on the RPG list and played only about 20% as well (puts his head up again). :)

Future Tactics is certainly a down-toned RPG startegy game, but still the turn based strategy battle system and the limited strategic movement of the characters with the overall elusive 'RPG-feel' justifies that it is on the list, I think.

lendelin
12-04-2005, 03:48 AM
I added Legion Legend of Excalibur and Virtua Qest, and removed the trial version of Everquest Online Adventures (thanks Oobgarm!, btw, the only game missing in your list is Front Mission 4).

Since I made a list for me anyways which games I have and for which games I have or miss a strategy guide, I put an asterisk behind the games which I believe never saw a published guide. (for the titles marked as having a guide I own the guide or checked if there was a guide published)

Please correct the titles marked as haven't a published guide if you know better!

It is amazing, btw, how many of the Atlus published titles don't have a guide: Wizardry, Dual Hearts, Stella Deus, Tsugunai Atonement, the two Shin Megami Tensei Devil Sagas, and the new Magna Carta.

Oobgarm
12-05-2005, 02:22 AM
Your assessment of RPGs strat guides is spot-on.

Thanks for pointing out Front Mission 4; I'll have to check my guide file and find out why it wasn't on the list.

MightySlacker
12-09-2005, 10:43 PM
I don't think Drakan and Demon stone should be borderline - they are action/rpg's in the baldur's gate style.

Also, what about the 2 Dynasty Tactics games? They are strat RPGs kinda like the style of Front Mission 4

I would also vote for Might and Magic as a strategy RPG, but I can see how its borderline.

Also, what about Graffiti Kingdom? isn't it a magic Pengal sequel?

Dave

shoes23
12-11-2005, 10:23 PM
I don't think Drakan and Demon stone should be borderline - they are action/rpg's in the baldur's gate style.
Dave

Demon Stone is not an RPG. It is straight up a hack n' slash game in the shadow of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers or King Arthur. It is simply an action game in the Forgotton Realms universe.

blissfulnoise
12-13-2005, 06:29 PM
Graffiti Kingdom came out a month or so ago. It's the sequel to Magic Pengel.

However, i'm not so sure those should be RPGs. If they are, better open the door to stuff like Monster Rancher.

MightySlacker
12-23-2005, 10:13 PM
Dave

Demon Stone is not an RPG. It is straight up a hack n' slash game in the shadow of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers or King Arthur. It is simply an action game in the Forgotton Realms universe.

Ah - guess I was misinformed/thinking of something else. I'd also say that Drakan compares a lot better to the Summoner games.

Borderline adds: Goblin Commander/Alien vs Predator Extinction. unless RTS can't be strategy rpg's.

Also, this list is gonna get huge next year. I can think of 10-15 RPGs I'm actively anticipating, which doesnt includes games I don't know about/crappy ones tha twill also be released.

Dave

xmagxus
12-26-2005, 07:34 PM
Are you sure dark angel is an RPG ( i dont mean dark angel the tv show game)

But I mean EBGAMES had it listed as an RPG a long time ago when they sold it and I saw it in the store once and almost bought it for 10 dollars but it really doesnt look like an RPG it sounded more like an adventure game or something.

If it is a real RPG then it seems I dont have a complete current gen RPG collection afterall, so I kinda hope it isnt lol >.>

MightySlacker
12-27-2005, 09:57 PM
Also, what makes Duel Masters different than say Yu-Gi-Oh type games? Sorry if that's an ignorant question, but I've never played any of them

Dave

Howie6925
01-02-2006, 09:44 AM
* = no published strategy guide
King’s Field: The Ancient City*

:hmm:
:?
I have the strategy guide for this game

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b226/Howie6925/Picture029.jpg

MightySlacker
01-11-2006, 11:33 AM
You can now officially add Wild Arms 4 to the list

Dave

djbeatmongrel
01-11-2006, 11:51 AM
what about Culdcept?

lendelin
01-12-2006, 01:17 AM
Howie, thanks for the information, I appreciate it! I corrected the King's Field guide listing.

I added Wild Arms 4.

Does anyone know if Unlimited Saga got a guide?

lendelin
01-12-2006, 01:18 AM
what about Culdcept?

Nah, it is more of a board/puzzle game with a RPG touch, I think.

MightySlacker
01-12-2006, 09:43 AM
I posted this a little while ago, but what about Dynasty Tactics 1 and 2? I dont see how you could consider them different strat RPGs than say a front mission 4.

Dave

xmagxus
01-13-2006, 12:46 AM
I still am wondering - is dark angel REALLY an rpg? EBgames had it listed as one awhile ago and a lot of people seemed to have gone off that but to anyone who has played the game is it REALLY an rpg and not just some action/adventure game?

Lemmy Kilmister
01-13-2006, 01:10 AM
How 'bout the Dynasty Tactics games? They're both strategy RPGs, and damn good ones at that.

Sylentwulf
02-03-2006, 08:21 AM
Grandia 3, and shin megami tensei lucifers call can be added.

Oobgarm
02-03-2006, 08:27 AM
Grandia 3, and shin megami tensei lucifers call can be added.

Lucifer's Call was released in the US as SMT: Nocturne.

hezeuschrist
02-03-2006, 11:48 AM
Tales of Legendia comes out in a week or so, and Grandia III comes out on valentines day. Suikoden V is also scheduled for this spring as well... I hope they don't jack that one like they did IV :(

And yes, Unlimited Saga got a guide.

EDIT: Holy crap, I knew spring was going to be worse than I thought.

Tales of Legendia - Feb. 7
Grandia III - Feb. 14
Drakengard 2 - Feb 14
MS Saga: A New Dawn - Feb 21
Shadow Hearts: From the New World - Mar. 7
Suikoden V - Mar 28
Kingdom Hearts II - Mar. 30
Atilier Iris: Eternal Mana 2 - Apr. 25 (That can't be right, the JP release is in May)

Then there is the ever looming Final Fantasy XII, Xenosaga III, Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria, and Phantasy Star Universe. And I thought I was catching up :(

lendelin
02-08-2006, 12:22 AM
Updates: Grandia III and Tales of Legendia are added, and the guide status of Unlimited Saga was changed (thanks, hezeuschrist)

Yep, the RPGs for the PS2 are like mail: it keeps coming and coming with no end in sight, it could drive a sane man crazy. The PS2 will have the most extensive RPG library of all consoles.

MightySlacker
02-08-2006, 12:02 PM
Atilier Iris: Eternal Mana 2 - Apr. 25 (That can't be right, the JP release is in May)
(

Actually, I think the japanese release was last may - I'm almost certain its out. I've had the soundtrack for about 6 months now :-)

And did the 2 Dynasty Tactics games get added?

Dave

lendelin
05-04-2006, 06:56 AM
Added:

MS Saga*
Shadow Hearts FTNW
Drakengard 2
Kingdom Hearts 2
Atelier Iris 2
Steambot Chronicles*

If someone knows if there is a published guide for MS Saga and for Steambot Chronicles, please post and let us know.

Daria
05-04-2006, 11:42 AM
Ugh... I am not looking forward to cracking down on my PS2 collection.

And small point but it's Romancing SaGa with a capital G.

For my own personal list I included Culcept, ICO, and Shadow of the Colossus under borderline. But then maybe I just needed an excuse to have them. >.>

tylerwillis
05-04-2006, 12:57 PM
Don't forget Metal Saga (http://www.tylerwillis.com/2006/04/25/metal-saga/) - came out at the same time as Atelier Iris 2.

lendelin
05-05-2006, 06:51 AM
Don't forget Metal Saga (http://www.tylerwillis.com/2006/04/25/metal-saga/) - came out at the same time as Atelier Iris 2.

Done. Thanks guy. I also added Suikoden V. I think that's it for last month. 99 and counting...:) (I listed Metal Saga as not having received a guide...at least I couldn't find one or an anouncement for one)

lendelin
05-05-2006, 07:01 AM

That's why I started earliy. I have around 70 of them, hardly one which was released in the last year or so. I never buy them for more than $20.

This RPG library will be much more extensive than the one for the PS1....and around 70% of the games got a guide, too.

A small point but it's Romancing SaGa with a capital G.

Thanks, I corrected it. I'm very sticklish when it comes to little things like that, so I really appreciate it.

For my own personal list I included Culcept, ICO, and Shadow of the Colossus under borderline. But then maybe I just needed an excuse to have them. >.>

We all make up excuses to buy more games. RIGHT??? :) To be a game fanatic is tough. People think it is fun and one long vacation, but we know it's not all smile and sunshine. :)

PapaStu
05-05-2006, 07:08 AM
I was on top of PS2 RPG's (even though I wasn't playing them) for years... I've not bought one except Kingdom Hearts 2 in about a year and a half. I'm SO not looking forward to filling the gaps once i'm that solvent again to just buy games.

Raedon
05-05-2006, 08:23 AM
Added to my DP RPG blog.. great topic.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/weblog.php?w=220

Daria
05-05-2006, 10:52 AM

That's why I started earliy. I have around 70 of them, hardly one which was released in the last year or so. I never buy them for more than $20.

This RPG library will be much more extensive than the one for the PS1....and around 70% of the games got a guide, too.

Well I've got 50 of 'em. At least I'm at the halfway point, and luckily I've virtually no intrest in game guides. I do buy the double jump ones because they're so nicely done though.

I too snatch up 20 dollar games with a few "gotta play right now" exceptions.

tylerwillis
05-05-2006, 01:12 PM
Intriguing, I'm at 51, although in addition I have a number of titles that are GC/XB versions. Looks like I have a ways to go.

lendelin
07-17-2006, 01:50 PM
I added "Final Fantasy XI: Treasures of Aht Urhgan" to the list. As far as I kmnow, there was no guide released for it.

Thank goodness the RPG flood came to a stop in the last two, three months. A break to catch up with buys during summer sales time.

aaronpetrosky
07-17-2006, 05:27 PM
I was just looking for a list of RPGS for ps2 thanks. Great work. This made my day.

unwinddesign
07-17-2006, 08:05 PM
You could put Deus Ex: the Conspiracy in the "borderline" section. It has a lot of RPG elements, mixed with traditional shooting.

I'm sure anyone else who's played the game would agree with me on that. It's certainly close to being an RPG, although not 100% full blown.

lendelin
09-01-2006, 08:40 PM
I added Disgaea 2 and Xenosaga III, and didn't put Dirge of Cerberus in the Borderline category despite its strong RPG background.

Both added games saw a guide...and in case you missed it, yep, what a monster of a 600-page-guide Disgaea 2 got from Doublejump. :)

Audigy
09-11-2006, 02:53 PM
As far as I know, Unlimited SaGa didn' get a strategy guide. *tosses an asterisk to the OP* :)

lendelin
12-03-2006, 09:46 AM
NOTE: This new system is really nice! It looks great and works great (MUCH faster than the old one). To everyone involved in this laborous process: THANKS!

I updated the list:

Added were
Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria
.hack GU (also available in Deluxe Pack)
Tales of the Abyss
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner
Final Fantasy XII (also available in Deluxe Pack)
Phantasy Star Universe

which brings the total number to 108.

All of the recently released games have guides; two of them (FF XII and .hack GU) are also available in deluxe packs.

I corrected an information about Unlimited Saga. To my knowledge there was no guide published in the US for this game. If you know better please let me know (best with a pic).

lendelin
12-03-2006, 09:48 AM
As far as I know, Unlimited SaGa didn' get a strategy guide. *tosses an asterisk to the OP* :)

Thanks, Audigy, you were right! :)

lendelin
12-05-2006, 03:50 PM
I added 'River King: A Wonderful Journey' because it is essentially the same game as the Harvest Moon games just centered around fishing instead of farming.

Also added:

-Justice League Heroes, an action-RPG in the same vein as Baldur’s Gate and Champions of Norrath, which has the same developer (Snowblind Studios);

-Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, an action-RPG, a straightforward beat-em-up and dungeon crawler in the same vein as the two X-Men Legends games from the same developer (Raven).

River King didn't see a published guide.

This brings the total number of games up to 111.

lendelin
01-10-2007, 02:26 AM
I aded Graffiti Kingdom to the list since Magic Pengel is also already listed. (Tough case, I know)

In the borderline category I added the so-called breeding RPGs Monster Rancher 3 and 4 and EVO.

The only game for which a guide was published is Monster Rancher 3 to my knowledge. If you know better, PLEASE post and let us know.

lendelin
01-31-2007, 03:26 PM
I added Ar Tonelico and Rogue Galaxy. I didn't see a published guide offered for Ar Tolenico, so...if you know better let us know.

Question: I removed the deluxe pack-note from Dot Hack GU. I remember to have read something about a deluxe pack for this game and made even a note, but can't find a thing about a deluxe set offering now. Maybe it was a cancelled EB/GS offering? Let us know if you have any information on this.

I included a listing of the games available in a deluxe box set with the extra content at the end of the list. If you find mistakes or left-outs or have suggestions for more useful descriptions, please shout and scream!

On a sidenote, what is exactly the deal with the cooperation between Prima and Doublejump? When I bought some time ago the guide for SMT Devil Summoner I noticed that the alleged Doublejump book was published by Prima although this publisher wasn't on the cover. Same goes now for the new Rogue Galaxy guide, in both cases the copyright is with Prima. The Devil Summoner guide was never offered on the Doublejumb website, however, Rogue Galaxy is.

The guides seem to be great efforts; my Q: is Prima using the fantastic image of Doublejump among RPG-players to sell guides? Are the authors of the guides still slected and hired by Doublejump or Prima? Who is in charge for the content of guides, Doublejump or Prima?

heybtbm
01-31-2007, 07:36 PM
On a sidenote, what is exactly the deal with the cooperation between Prima and Doublejump? When I bought some time ago the guide for SMT Devil Summoner I noticed that the alleged Doublejump book was published by Prima although this publisher wasn't on the cover. Same goes now for the new Rogue Galaxy guide, in both cases the copyright is with Prima. The Devil Summoner guide was never offered on the Doublejumb website, however, Rogue Galaxy is.

The guides seem to be great efforts; my Q: is Prima using the fantastic image of Doublejump among RPG-players to sell guides? Are the authors of the guides still slected and hired by Doublejump or Prima? Who is in charge for the content of guides, Doublejump or Prima?

According to the Doublejump website (forums):

The staff at Doublejump write the guides and Prima publishes them. Also of note is that Sony now requires Doublejump to publish their guides in the standard 8 1/2" x 11" format. No more fat, little guides for DJ (which is a good thing IMO).

I just picked up the Rogue Galaxy guide (and game of course) this afternoon and it comes in at a hefty 384 pages. If this guide would have been made in the smaller format, it easily would be their largest one to date. The amount of information contained is amazing. I think all RPG fans should buy Doublejump guides if for nothing else than to support a company that is full of people who love the genre...even if you don't usually do the "guide thing".

eternalblue81
02-01-2007, 06:46 PM
Question: I removed the deluxe pack-note from Dot Hack GU. I remember to have read something about a deluxe pack for this game and made even a note, but can't find a thing about a deluxe set offering now. Maybe it was a cancelled EB/GS offering? Let us know if you have any information on this.

Yes, there is a special edition version of .hack//GU that I believe was a GS/EB exclusive. It comes in a larger cardboard box that includes the game, a figurine of the character Haseo, and Terminal Disc, which has a video digest of the prevous .hack games.

Daria
02-01-2007, 06:51 PM
According to the Doublejump website (forums):

The staff at Doublejump write the guides and Prima publishes them. Also of note is that Sony now requires Doublejump to publish their guides in the standard 8 1/2" x 11" format. No more fat, little guides for DJ (which is a good thing IMO).

I just picked up the Rogue Galaxy guide (and game of course) this afternoon and it comes in at a hefty 384 pages. If this guide would have been made in the smaller format, it easily would be their largest one to date. The amount of information contained is amazing. I think all RPG fans should buy Doublejump guides if for nothing else than to support a company that is full of people who love the genre...even if you don't usually do the "guide thing".

I normally hate guides, but love what Double Jump has been putting out. However I think it really stinks that Sony's being nazi asshats over the format. It was nice having a guide that fit on a normal bookshelf.

lendelin
02-02-2007, 05:01 PM
Yes, there is a special edition version of .hack//GU that I believe was a GS/EB exclusive. It comes in a larger cardboard box that includes the game, a figurine of the character Haseo, and Terminal Disc, which has a video digest of the prevous .hack games.

Thanks, guy, you were right and my dim memory correct. I added the deluxe set to the listing. Strangely, I've never seen that thing. It comes with an Haseo action figure and a "Terminal Disc." Someone who has the set might be able to clarify what is on this disc for a more accurate description in the listing?

I changed slightly the deluxe set lists at the end with more accurate and detailed content. This might be very helpful since we all know the evergreen Qs of collectors hunting after the WD sets for the PS1-RPGs like "what the hell was exactly in there?" :)

EDIT: Sorry, I overlooked in your quote about the disc the part "which has a video digest of the prevous .hack games." I edited the list accordingly. Thanks guy.

lendelin
02-02-2007, 05:11 PM
I normally hate guides, but love what Double Jump has been putting out. However I think it really stinks that Sony's being nazi asshats over the format. It was nice having a guide that fit on a normal bookshelf.

Same here (not exactly, I love guides :) )...but I liked the bookformat of the recent Doublejump guides a lot (granted, very small print) like I loved the WD guides for Alundra and Lunar. I'd even opt for hardcover guidebooks like we have in Japan or had in the US from WD for Arc and Vanguard Bandits; but then, probably the market isn't lucrative enough for such elaborate guides in hardcover.

(BTW, Daria, I loved your collections in the Dragon Quest and Zelda threads! :) VERY IMPRESSIVE.)

However, I doubt what you and heybtbm said about Sony. It is probably PRIMA that insists on a magazine format for (what else?) money reasons, not Sony. Sony has no power over companies who publish guides.

Daria
02-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Same here (not exactly, I love guides :) )...but I liked the bookformat of the recent Doublejump guides a lot (granted, very small print) like I loved the WD guides for Alundra and Lunar. I'd even opt for hardcover guidebooks like we have in Japan or had in the US from WD for Arc and Vanguard Bandits; but then, probably the market isn't lucrative enough for such elaborate guides in hardcover.

(BTW, Daria, I loved your collections in the Dragon Quest and Zelda threads! :) VERY IMPRESSIVE.)

However, I doubt what you and heybtbm said about Sony. It is probably PRIMA that insists on a magazine format for (what else?) money reasons, not Sony. Sony has no power over companies who publish guides.

Well whoever's decision it was. It stinks. :Ž

(thanks for the compliment though!)

heybtbm
02-02-2007, 05:31 PM

The info on Sony making the decision comes directly from the source...the people at Doublejump...

http://www.doublejumpbooks.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=4709.0

lendelin
02-02-2007, 05:53 PM
The info on Sony making the decision comes directly from the source...the people at Doublejump...

http://www.doublejumpbooks.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=4709.0

Oh geez, I forgot that Sony published the game. I think Level-5 when I think about Rogue Galaxy, not Sony at all.

You might be right. If "Sony asked for it," then the ball is in Sonys half albeit still the guide-publisher makes the final decision and has to hold grounds in the business-dealings with the game-publisher.

It might be not so clear, though, to blame Sony. Isn't it very convenient for Doubejump to say that Sony insisted on the format than to say that it was PRIMAS decision since they have a publishing cooperation with them?

Sony is a powerhouse, but so is Prima. I'd think they have enough leverage to push for a format they want...towards Sony AND Doublejump. :)

The reason I'm so mistrustful about the alleged Sony pressure is the SMT Devil Summoner guide. The game publisher changed (Atlus), but not Prima and Doublejump producing in the same new format (except for the first Disgaea guide). I don't know, but maybe Atlus pushed for the mag format as Sony did? I doubt it. Seems more likely that Prima with all its distribution power isn't a friend of the book format.

heybtbm
02-02-2007, 06:18 PM
Sony is a powerhouse, but so is Prima. I'd think they have enough leverage to push for a format they want...towards Sony AND Doublejump. :)

Sony has the ultimate (and final) say in anything related to games, guides, accessories released on any of their systems. If you want to release your PS2, PSP, or PS3 product...you have to play by their rules. I'm not offering a commentary if this is good or bad, I'm just pointing out the way this industry works.

Seems more likely that Prima with all its distribution power isn't a friend of the book format.

You're probably on to something there.

lendelin
02-03-2007, 01:32 PM
Sony has the ultimate (and final) say in anything related to games, guides, accessories released on any of their systems.

Oh Lord, I won't even respond to that because it is ridiculous.

However, as a publisher for a specific game, Sony has the final word for a licensed guide. But I doubt heavily that Sony pressured for a larger guide format.

The reason: let's use some common sense. After the first Disgaea guide, DJ published six guides exclusively in book format, among them SMT Nocturne (game publisher: Atlus) and Genji (game publisher: Sony). NIS, Atlus, and Sony felt obviously very comfortable with the successful format. If I were to believe the Sony-pressure-tale, Atlus and Sony suddenly transformed into a larger format pressuring company after Prima took over distribution.

It doesn't make sense! I wouldn't be surprised if NIS transforms into a mag- format-loving company as well after giving their ok for three guides in book size; and this has nothing to do with Prima, of course.

I don't know if the guy on the DJ forum reperesents DJ or not. If he does, the statement that Sony asked for the larger format is the dumbest thing he could say. It is not only false it is dumb because it is a cheap weaseling-out-strategy in order to avoid problems with the new cooperator Prima although it is obvious what's going on. It is a Doublejump-Prima decision, nothing else. Just ask him in response if Atlus insisted on the new format, too, and if isn't a remarkable coincidence that the format-change falls together with the new cooperation with Prima.

eternalblue81
02-03-2007, 04:28 PM
Thanks, guy, you were right and my dim memory correct. I added the deluxe set to the listing. Strangely, I've never seen that thing. It comes with an Haseo action figure and a "Terminal Disc."

No problem. Happy to add toward the list. I was wondering if it would be helpful if the games that were only sold in deluxe/special edition form, like Dragon Quest VII, Magna Carta, and those that had the choice between standard and deluxe like Growlanser and .hack//Gu were differently marked?

By the way, I'm a gal, not a guy. :)

heybtbm
02-03-2007, 05:14 PM
Oh Lord, I won't even respond to that because it is ridiculous.

However, as a publisher for a specific game, Sony has the final word for a licensed guide. But I doubt heavily that Sony pressured for a larger guide format.

The reason: let's use some common sense. After the first Disgaea guide, DJ published six guides exclusively in book format, among them SMT Nocturne (game publisher: Atlus) and Genji (game publisher: Sony). NIS, Atlus, and Sony felt obviously very comfortable with the successful format. If I were to believe the Sony-pressure-tale, Atlus and Sony suddenly transformed into a larger format pressuring company after Prima took over distribution.

It doesn't make sense! I wouldn't be surprised if NIS transforms into a mag- format-loving company as well after giving their ok for three guides in book size; and this has nothing to do with Prima, of course.

I don't know if the guy on the DJ forum reperesents DJ or not. If he does, the statement that Sony asked for the larger format is the dumbest thing he could say. It is not only false it is dumb because it is a cheap weaseling-out-strategy in order to avoid problems with the new cooperator Prima although it is obvious what's going on. It is a Doublejump-Prima decision, nothing else. Just ask him in response if Atlus insisted on the new format, too, and if isn't a remarkable coincidence that the format-change falls together with the new cooperation with Prima.

Believe whatever you want. Doublejump books said themselves (several times on their own forums) that Sony requested the larger size. If you want to continue with this bizarre conspiracy rant...go ahead. I'm done here.

lendelin
02-04-2007, 05:30 AM
Believe whatever you want. Doublejump books said themselves (several times on their own forums) that Sony requested the larger size. If you want to continue with this bizarre conspiracy rant...go ahead. I'm done here.

We have very different concepts of "bizarre" and "conspiracy"...and "rant." What I described is neither bizarre nor a conspiracy but a very normal business relationship and business deal based on realism and not naivite. The former takes business with critical rationalism, the latter takes statements at face value.

lendelin
02-04-2007, 05:43 AM
No problem. Happy to add toward the list. I was wondering if it would be helpful if the games that were only sold in deluxe/special edition form, like Dragon Quest VII, Magna Carta, and those that had the choice between standard and deluxe like Growlanser and .hack//Gu were differently marked?

By the way, I'm a gal, not a guy. :)

I'm sorry, gal! :)

Your suggestion makes a lot of sense. I think Dragon Quest VIII, Magna Carta, and Star Ocean were only sold in the special packages.(??) All the other titles wree available in standard or deluxe if I'm not mistaken.

lendelin
02-06-2007, 06:35 PM
I wanted some more information for my RPG list and added to the titles the developer, publisher, and release date over the last two weeks...so I thought why not posting this additional information as well. Hope some of you find it useful and the list as readible as before.

QUESTION: Was SMT Digital Devil Saga sold only in the deluxe set or available in a standard edition as well? I thought it was sold in both editions but I'm not so sure anymore.

eternalblue81
02-07-2007, 07:36 PM
QUESTION: Was SMT Digital Devil Saga sold only in the deluxe set or available in a standard edition as well? I thought it was sold in both editions but I'm not so sure anymore.

I'm almost positive it only came out in the cardboard box version. I seem to recall some people were kinda miffed about it retailing for $55 instead of $50 and didn't think it was worth it for just cardboard box and soundtrack. Not too sure since I haven't seen any yet in stores, but I think that Ar Tonelico is only going to be available in deluxe form with the artbook.

Another form of variants that might be considered are the RPGs that were also released as Greatest Hits. Might also be noted that Star Ocean was available without the cardboard box when the GH version came out. It had the instruction booklet on the outside back of the case under the plastic.

These are the only PS2 RPG Greatest Hits that I am definite about:

Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance
Dark Cloud
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Kingdom Hearts
Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht

Really like seeing the developer, publisher, and release dates on the list. Still easy enough to skim through with the bolded titles. Nice job!

lendelin
02-07-2007, 09:36 PM
I'm almost positive it only came out in the cardboard box version. I seem to recall some people were kinda miffed about it retailing for $55 instead of $50 and didn't think it was worth it for just cardboard box and soundtrack. Not too sure since I haven't seen any yet in stores, but I think that Ar Tonelico is only going to be available in deluxe form with the artbook.

Another form of variants that might be considered are the RPGs that were also released as Greatest Hits. Might also be noted that Star Ocean was available without the cardboard box when the GH version came out. It had the instruction booklet on the outside back of the case under the plastic.

These are the only PS2 RPG Greatest Hits that I am definite about:

Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance
Dark Cloud
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Kingdom Hearts
Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht

Really like seeing the developer, publisher, and release dates on the list. Still easy enough to skim through with the bolded titles. Nice job!

eternalblue, I really appreciate your input! I made a note for Star Ocean in the deluxe set list about the GH version coming without the box. (You are right, I forgot about it) I'll keep an eye out for Ar Tonelico if it is only available in the deluxe set, and for SMT Digital Devil Saga I have to look further into it. I'll make changes when i know for sure. Keep those informations and suggestions coming! :)

Yeah, now that the list is a bit elaborate (much more detailed than I ever intended), it makes sense to add the Greatest Hits games as well. I looked them up on the official Playstation website, and you missed only three games: X-Men Legends, LOTR Third Age, and Champions of Norrath. Thanks again for the suggestion and the list!

Looking through the Greatest Hits list confirmed what we all know: those movie licensed games still pay off, mediocre or bad gameplay, great sales. Well, Enter the Matrix set a new example in the very old tradition. Chronicles of Narnia as Greatest Hits?? Even Cabela Big Game Hunter got a GH edition, not of course Dragon Quest VIII. Shooting deer is still more popular than saving princesses and talking to kings transformed into green trolls. Should we blame the world for all this? Absolutely.

lendelin
02-10-2007, 08:47 PM
I made two corrections: Ar tolenico is (at least so far) sold only in the deluxe set (game plus hardcover artbook, the soundtrack CD is a pre-order goodie from NIS and not part of the set); SMT Digital Devil Saga was also sold only in the deluxe edition.

That makes only three games available in deluxe and regular versions: FF XII, Growlanser, and dot hack G.U. (well, plus Star Ocean if accounted for the GH version).

If Ar tolenico will be eventually available in a regular edition, I'll change the note in the list.

carlcarlson
02-11-2007, 11:17 AM
digital devil saga also had that deluxe box set edition as well. I don't know if you'll want to mention that. and as long as you are getting elaborate, it might be cool if you listed what exactly came with each game. for instance, phantom brave came with a soundtrack as well as the normal stuff. someone happening on that game at a used shop would want to know that. either way, great guide, I use it often!

eternalblue81
02-11-2007, 12:08 PM
digital devil saga also had that deluxe box set edition as well. I don't know if you'll want to mention that. and as long as you are getting elaborate, it might be cool if you listed what exactly came with each game. for instance, phantom brave came with a soundtrack as well as the normal stuff. someone happening on that game at a used shop would want to know that. either way, great guide, I use it often!

All deluxe versions are below the regular RPG list, along with what came included. Totally forgot about Phantom Brave, though! There were two different versions of Phantom Brave, one that came with a music CD, and one without. Both versions came in regular PS2 cases and the only outward way of checking which version is on the back, in a circle above the bottle it would say "Special Edition" or not. Or I suppose the item number on the spine, where an "S" is added after SLUS-20955.

carlcarlson
02-11-2007, 12:47 PM
ah, I hadn't seen the added content at the bottom. and I guess I was wrong about dds, I thought there was a regular version that just had the cardboard box, and a deluxe box set version that had another outer sleeve as well. was the soundtrack for dds in a paper sleeve?

lendelin
02-16-2007, 12:42 PM
carlcarlson and eternalblue, thanks so much for your input! I wasn't at all aware about Phantom Brave. I checked my sealed copy and obviously I have the non-CD version.

I made a separate list for games in regular cases with extra content. I wanted the games in deluxe sets/cardboard boxes still separately listed. Myabe there are more games like Phantom Brave available in two versions in regular cases? Thanks again for this important information. I just used your detailed information, eternalblue, and listed it. I hope I can trust you? ;)

calcarlson, my copy of DDS is still sealed so I can't tell if the CD is in a paper sleeve. However, I saw pics of the deluxe set in which the CD is in a blank white paper sleeve...so I guess it is.

carlcarlson
02-16-2007, 01:08 PM
alright cool. now here's another question. the dds box set has a place for both dds games, but it only came with dds 1 correct? what went in the other slot? I just got a copy of the dds box set and it has this sort of outer sleeve thing advertising dds 2. was that the placeholder, and if so, was anything in it?

lendelin
02-16-2007, 01:38 PM
alright cool. now here's another question. the dds box set has a place for both dds games, but it only came with dds 1 correct? what went in the other slot? I just got a copy of the dds box set and it has this sort of outer sleeve thing advertising dds 2. was that the placeholder, and if so, was anything in it?

It came only with Digital Devil Saga 1. The other slot in the so-called "art-box" is for Digital Devil Saga 2 which has to be purchased separately and was just empty. The entire set came in a slip cover which reads "Deluxe Box Set" and on its back also lists which items are included in the set.

carlcarlson
02-16-2007, 01:46 PM
so what is this sleeve thing that I got? It's basically like the cover to a hardback book, and it is advertising dds 2.

lendelin
02-17-2007, 12:22 PM
so what is this sleeve thing that I got? It's basically like the cover to a hardback book, and it is advertising dds 2.

I don't know. Mine is still sealed, and as long as I don't play it I keep it that way. When I described the content for the list I looked around on ebay, found and saved a pic and read the back of my copy...yeah, it came with this sleeve thingie; it can't be what they described as "artbox" for the two games since that thing is cardboard and visible in the slip cover.

lendelin
02-17-2007, 12:35 PM
I corrected the guide entry for SHADOW HEARTS. It was listed as having a guide, but actually there was no guide published in the US as far as I know. I think there was a mini-guide published by Brady but in the UK only.

Sorry about that. Don't know how that mistake happenened. :) I updated my personal lists and noticed that I had the game checked as owning the guide. Well, I looked and looked and didn't have the guide on the shelves, and I can't remember ever owning it. (and despite hundreds of guides I usually can still remember if I owe one).

BTW, I noticed that the the two guides for Shadow Hearts Covenant and Shadow Hearts From the New World are a bit on the more expensive side. Both go on ebay for $25 to $30, on Amazon used even higher. Pretty high for guides just published one year and two years ago.

lendelin
02-20-2007, 01:23 AM
LINK EBAY:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230092609468&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=013

For $50 I would have violated my rule not to spend more than $20 for a RPG since I've never even seen one of those. But at THIS price? Some people just...well, no comment. The game was just released 4 months ago, c'mon people.

First time I actually saw this Haseo action figure.

lendelin
03-26-2007, 09:00 PM
I added the Action/RPG Shining Force EXA (Sega, Sega) which was released just a couple of days ago to the normal RPG category.

For all you guide maniacs, there is a guide released for the game by Brady.

A heads up:
Circuit City has some pretty good games on clearance in their bargain bins for some time now, among them Grandia III, Xenosaga III and Tales of Legendia for $16.96 each. (Also in the bins is Final Fantasy XI for the Xbox 360 for the same price and Onimusha Dawn of Dreams)

...not as good as a $5 or $10 sale, but still worthwhile checking it out.

carlcarlson
04-05-2007, 02:45 PM
i was just looking through gamespots rpg database, and there are still a few rpgs coming out for the ps2 yet. oddly enough, they are all slated to be released within a month of each other. dawn of mana is may 22, odin sphere is may 29, atelier iris 3 is may 15, and persona 3 is in june. grimgrimoire is also supposed to be out in june, though its rts (nippon ichi though). anyway, i think that's pretty exciting, because all of those games look pretty good, and I can't wait to play persona 3. does anyone know anything about these games?

heybtbm
04-05-2007, 04:30 PM
I can't wait to play persona 3. does anyone know anything about these games?

Based on the Gamestop/EB website, it looks like we will be getting the "Fes" special edition of Persona 3 when it's released this summer. Persona 3: Fes is a directors cut of the game that adds 30 hours after the final boss. The Fes Edition will be released in Japan in 2 weeks. Pretty cool.

Daria
04-05-2007, 06:10 PM
You know I really want to be excited over these titles. Especially Persona 3, but The PS2 RPGs I've played so far (minus DQ8) have all proved to be so bland I find it hard to care anymore.

lendelin
04-06-2007, 09:47 PM
You know I really want to be excited over these titles. Especially Persona 3, but The PS2 RPGs I've played so far (minus DQ8) have all proved to be so bland I find it hard to care anymore.

My attitude towards the titles as well. I have to say that my enthusiasm for RPGs decreased this console generation which has nothing to do with game quality. It is just that my gaming habits shifted from adventure games and RPGs towards...oh...the...shame...racers and tennis games. In particular racing games.

While Metropolis Street Racer and GT 3 and 4 with their rich gameplay value turned me into a fanatic who finished even Moto GP 3 (Xbox) and Burnout 3, I finished only a handful RPGs. At times I find the flood of RPGs truly overwhelming anyway. I have around 90 of the games now, and my reaction to new RPG announcements is simply "ANOTHER title to add to my list?" :)

...but I have to say that FFX and in particular Dragon Quest 8 were spectacular, some of the best gaming experiences I've had. DQ 8 captured perfectly the feel of the old Dragon Warriors, the gameplay, story, characters, and humor matched and was in balance. The game is a truly special treat.

BTW, I got lucky and got two deluxe sets of dot hack G.U. Rebirth, and put one of them up on ebay with detailed scans of the box and inserts. The link is here for the ones interested what exactly in the box and how the action figure and disc look:

http://cgi.ebay.com/hack-G-U-Vol-1-Rebirth-SP-EDITION-NEW-Playstation-2_W0QQitemZ110112226934QQihZ001QQcategoryZ62053QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

...but I have also to say that I'm looking forward to Persona 3, not with the old enthusiasm, but with warm feelings nevertheless.

lendelin
04-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Darias comment provokes a Q which goes for RPGs of the PS2 but also for game libraries in general of specific consoles: IS MORE BETTER? or from a game development standpoint, is it better to rush a game and get more of them or polish it to great gameplay value and get less releases? or from a economical standpoint, is it better to publish more of the same with minimal risk or publish a bit less following some new risky paths?

On the one hand we got an incredible library to choose from with numerous titles even for the niche like the tactical strategy RPGs, on the other hand we have to sift through mediocre titles which look and play awfully similar; sometimes I get the feeling that the quality of the top titles certainly didn't improve compared with the smaller libraries of the NES or SNES.

heybtbm
04-07-2007, 08:26 AM
Darias comment provokes a Q which goes for RPGs of the PS2 but also for game libraries in general of specific consoles: IS MORE BETTER? or from a game development standpoint, is it better to rush a game and get more of them or polish it to great gameplay value and get less releases? or from a economical standpoint, is it better to publish more of the same with minimal risk or publish a bit less following some new risky paths?

I think a good example of this is extra long development cycle of Final Fantasy XII. Final Fantasy had essentially 11 games of turn-based battle systems that were all very similar. I loved the FF battle systems and when I found out that FFXII would be dropping random battles and only let you directly control 1 character, I was skeptical and a bit disappointed. When the game was released, it only took me an hour or so before I realized this was the best FF battle system yet. Square-Enix took a "risky path" by taking their game play in a different direction and ended up reinvigorating a stale franchise in my eyes.

Another perfect example of long development paying off in the end is with Resident Evil 4. It may have took 5 years to produce, but the end result is one of the best games ever made.

Aussie2B
04-07-2007, 12:56 PM
On the one hand we got an incredible library to choose from with numerous titles even for the niche like the tactical strategy RPGs, on the other hand we have to sift through mediocre titles which look and play awfully similar; sometimes I get the feeling that the quality of the top titles certainly didn't improve compared with the smaller libraries of the NES or SNES.

One thing that has to be considered is that the RPG libraries for the NES and SNES were essentially cherry-picked for us. It's not so much a matter of the companies producing less games as it is the fact that we more or less were only presented with what the best Japan had to offer (I mean this more in the sense that, of what we did receive, it was only top tier RPGs from Japan, rather than us receving ALL of the best Japanese RPGs, which was certainly not the case). In Japan, Squaresoft, Enix, and others were pumping out RPGs like there was no tomorrow. These days, since PlayStation and now PS2 even more so, we're experiencing what Japan has for years. While there are still some RPGs that don't get localized, the ratio is far slimer, so we're getting closer to experiencing EVERYTHING that Japan has to offer in terms of RPGs. Now we're stuck sifting through the mediocre titles as well.

Xexyz
04-07-2007, 04:59 PM
Not a new title to add, but minor corrections involving the two Shining Force titles. Neo and EXA were both developed by Neverland, not Amusement Vision or any other internal Sega studios.

lendelin
05-13-2007, 11:03 PM
Not a new title to add, but minor corrections involving the two Shining Force titles. Neo and EXA were both developed by Neverland, not Amusement Vision or any other internal Sega studios.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it. You are absolutely right, and I corrected the data. (meaning added Neverland as a developer for Shining Force EXA and Neo)

lendelin
05-13-2007, 11:19 PM
I added the following four games:

Dawn of Mana. Square Enix, Square Enix, 5/22/07.
Odin Sphere.* Vanillaware, Atlus, 5/22/07.
.hack//G.U. Vol. 2: Reminisce.* CyberConnect2, Bandai Namco, 5/8/07.
Atelier Iris 3: Grand Phantasm.* Gust, NIS America, 5/29/07.

Except for Dawn of Mana, none of the games got a published guide. However, since three games will be released in two and three weeks, I'll keep my eyes open if there are indeed guides coming out for those games. It were the first time that a Dot hack game would not get a guide.

If you have information that Odin Sphere, dot hack GU 2 or Atelier Iris 3 has a guide, please let us know.

I'll also watch if the upcoming release dates for the games are correct.

HEADS UP: Not only Grandia III, Xenosaga III, and Tales of Legendia ended up in the Circuit City bargain bin, but DISGAEA 2 for $16.96 as well since last week. Certainly a good price for a game that usually goes for $50.

By this time they are probably all gone, but it never hurts to check after awhile since restocking is unlikely but sometimes indeed happens.

ANOTHER HEADS UP: A couple of weeks ago CC had for all games $16.96 and cheaper a special 25% price discount for a week, and the $17 games dropped to $12.50. I assumed that CC makes price adjustments for about a week or so and was surprised to learn that they do it for up to 30 days. (which means that I got 3 RPGs and other games for $12.50 although I just made it on the 31st day after purchase)

If you bought a game and notice a price reduaction within the next 30 days, get the receipt out and do a price adjustment.

lendelin
05-14-2007, 03:00 AM
I forgot to mention another bargain:

AMAZON is selling Phantasy Star Universe for the PS2 for $9.99 for two days now, and sold for a couple of days Marvel Ultimate Alliance (PS2) and Justice League Heroes (PS2) for $14.99.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance is up to its old price ($30) and Justice League is slightly more expensive ($20) but it is worthwhile to check periodically since Amazon is known for dropping the price again, sometimes even cheaper than the old bargain price.

lendelin
05-26-2007, 01:20 PM
Just a heads up:

The so-called "GameDay Sale" from EBGames/GameStop (started today) for NEW games offers for PS2-RPGs the best bargains of the sale:

RPG Maker 3 $15
Champions Return to Arms $15
Harvest Moon A Wonderful Life SE $15
Final Fantasy XII Collector's Edition $30

The stores got well stocked since last week, so to find these games in store is very very likely.

In particular RPG Maker and Champions are for these prices a bargain. I can't remember when I saw RPG Maker 3 new in a store, not to mention for this price. (was used usually around $30)

The sale is also ONLINE since yesterday evening. Here is the link:

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/gamedays/Default.asp?cookie%5Ftest=1&

If you use the discount code SAVER when ordering, shipping is free. Like in the store you only pay sales tax.

...and if you got sick and tired of RPGs you can always pick up the "Real World Golf" oversized package with club and motion sensor controller and strap for the bargain price of $20 (Xbox and PS2, offered only in-store, original price $70, dropped to $40, never saw it for this price). Is a "true" golf simulator a "true" RPG? I really don't know and I don't wanna know. :)

lendelin
06-17-2007, 09:34 AM
Just a heads up:

Amazon sells Justice League Heroes for the PS2 for $12.99. If your order is $25 or higher, there are no shipping charges, and, like always, no tax. (Strategy guides (like the new one for Dawn of Mana) are good fillers, and are in most cases cheaper than in-store prices of GS, EBGames, or the electronic chains; also cheap sports games from $2 to $4 are great to use as fillers.)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009H7UJI/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20

Not a bad price for a game to fill up your RPG collection.

lendelin
06-19-2007, 08:48 PM
Another heads up:

Amazon sells Marvel Ultimate Alliance for the PS2 for $12.99 as well.

Link:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000G7YX4G/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20

lendelin
06-25-2007, 10:49 AM
Another heads up about an Amazon deal: (hope you don't get sick and tired of it)

Final Fantasy XII regular edition for $22.99. Order additionally a $3 sports game and shipping is free, and like always no sales tax.

http://www.amazon.com/Square-Enix-P2SQE-662248904078-Fantasy/dp/B000F5IH2I/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-1178912-0550515?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1182786310&sr=1-1

These Amazon deals won't last long. Usually they go back to the old price after 24 or 48 hours. If you don't want to wait until you get the game for $8 or $10 in a year or two, now is the time to get it it.

carlcarlson
06-25-2007, 10:59 AM
thanks for all of these heads-up. I appreciate them, as I'm sure others do as well.

vaportransmitter
07-05-2007, 08:04 PM
Wish I would of found this sooner. I have an almost identical list saved on my comp.

Some titles to consider:

Castlevania: Curse of Darkness (Konami) / Castlevania: Lament of Innocence (Konami) - I'm always trying to find a reason to add these games. It has experience, levels, equipment, storyline, stats... but I still dunno if they should be counted.

Colosseum: Road to Freedom (Ertain) - I've never played. Looks like a hack n slash. Many places have classified it as an RPG.

Digimon World 4 (Bandai) - Hack n Slash RPG. Plain and simple.

Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel (Interplay) - Hack n Slash RPG. Plain and simple.

Gauntlet: Dark Legacy (Midway Games West) - Arcadey Hack n Slash.

Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows (Midway Games) - More traditional Hack n Slash RPG.

Pirates: Legend of the Black Kat (7 Studios) - Hack n Slash RPG of sorts, haven't really played it.

----

Samurai Legend Musashi is an RPG and should not be in borderline.
Furthermore, I remember hearing that monster Rancher EVO was an RPG this time around that abandoned many of the simulation elements of the previous games.

I've never understood why Harvest Moon (and RIver King for that matter) were considered RPGs. Enlighten me.

lendelin
08-22-2007, 12:31 AM
I added:
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3. Atlus, Atlus, 8/14/07. (Got guide from Doublejump in book format)

The game was also added to the list of special editions:
08) Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3. The cardboard box contains an art book and a soundtrack CD in a regular white slip cover. Sold only in the deluxe set.

It seems that this won't be the last deluxe set we get for a PS2-RPG; Wild Arms 5 will come in one (scheduled for end of this month) and Growlanser: Heritage (scheduled for September) will get a deluxe set in the tradition of the Working Designs special editions.

I think the collector's edition stuff gets a bit out of hand; an additional art book alone with a CD doesn't justify a price increase of ten dollars. It seems that the special edition policy is a way to keep the price up to $50 for a niche genre like RPGs at the end of a consoles life.

I liked the NES and SNES times better when we had hardly collector editions; for RPGs it is still harmless (nine out of 130 so far), but for other genres it is certainly exaggerated.

BTW, the games themselves in the deluxe sets are identical with the regular editions. There is only one game which has a different cover art, manual, and disc label from the regular version. (FF XII)

lendelin
08-29-2007, 12:45 PM
Added:

Wild Arms 5. Media Vision, XSEED, 8/28/07. (guide from Prima)

Added to the list of deluxe sets:

10) Wild Arms 5. The cardboard box (“Series 10th Anniversary Edition”) contains an art book covering the entire span of the series. Sold only in the deluxe set.

According to the publisher (XSEED) the game is only available in the set. Although the press release stresses this this goes for launch titles only, I doubt that the game will see a print run sold without the art book and box. However, if the game will be sold in a regular version without the box I change the entry of the deluxe set list.

lendelin
09-11-2007, 09:16 PM
Added:

Standard RPG list:

.hack//G.U. Vol. 3: Redemption.* Cyberconnnect2, Bandai Namco, 9/11/07. (No guide)
Growlanser: Heritage of War.* Atlus, Atlus, 9/18/07. (No guide)

Deluxe set list:

06) Growlanser: Heritage of War. The cardboard box includes a hardcover art book, a multi-media disc with art and music from the game, a keychain, two lenticular cards, and three pins. Sold only in the deluxe set.

Updated # of games: 123

carlcarlson
09-12-2007, 02:07 PM
I added:
[b]
BTW, the games themselves in the deluxe sets are identical with the regular editions. There is only one game which has a different cover art, manual, and disc label from the regular version. (FF XII)

Actually I think Star Ocean 3 LE adds some extra content which was later included in the Greatest Hits re-release. The cover art is different as well.

Aussie2B
09-12-2007, 04:31 PM
There's no such thing as a limited edition of Star Ocean 3. There's just the original release, which were all in the cardboard boxes, and the Greatest Hits release. It's confusing because so many people threw out or lost the outer box, and then you'll see the game in just the case with the pink cover being sold as "complete".

The original release and the Greatest Hits version also have the same gameplay content. Square Enix made it even more confusing by talking about "extra features" on the back of the box. Japan got two different versions of the game - the original and the Director's Cut, but the US only got the Director's Cut in all versions.

Oh, and just for the sake of completeness, there was a limited edition of the original Star Ocean 3 in Japan. When the game first came out, it was released with a clear white case, and there was a cool picture on the underside of the cover which you'd see through the plastic when you open the case up. I think they sold a ton of them, though, so it really wasn't that "limited".

Sothy
09-12-2007, 07:46 PM
i dont think mmorpg games should count.

Raedon
09-12-2007, 11:16 PM
MMORPG console collecting got old faster then my GC broadband adapter.

carlcarlson
09-13-2007, 07:56 AM
There's no such thing as a limited edition of Star Ocean 3. There's just the original release, which were all in the cardboard boxes, and the Greatest Hits release. It's confusing because so many people threw out or lost the outer box, and then you'll see the game in just the case with the pink cover being sold as "complete".

The original release and the Greatest Hits version also have the same gameplay content. Square Enix made it even more confusing by talking about "extra features" on the back of the box. Japan got two different versions of the game - the original and the Director's Cut, but the US only got the Director's Cut in all versions.

Oh, and just for the sake of completeness, there was a limited edition of the original Star Ocean 3 in Japan. When the game first came out, it was released with a clear white case, and there was a cool picture on the underside of the cover which you'd see through the plastic when you open the case up. I think they sold a ton of them, though, so it really wasn't that "limited".

wow, I never knew that. Here I was always looking for the "regular" version. I'd get a lot on ebay with Star Ocean and be disappointed when it was the same ol LE I already had. HA! I guess I shouldn't have questioned a guy who calls himself the Tri-Ace super fan!

lendelin
10-21-2007, 12:49 AM
I have a Q for you RPGrs: Since I have limited experience with RTS games and strategy RPGs, I'm really not sure if we should add GrimGrimoire and the new Soul Nomad & The World Eaters to the RPG list, let it be in the regular list or in the borderline category? What are your thoughts about it?

I know that both are RTS games, on the other hand they have a distinct RPG fantasy setting and atmosphere to them. I feel a bit strange to have Disgaea in the list but not Soul Nomad. Maybe in the Borderline list?

I removed Dirge of cerberus from the borderline list despite its strong RPG story background -- the gameplay goes really more in the direction of Devil May Cry, I think. (haven't played it yet, though)

I added Final Fantasy XII to the Greatest Hits list. I don't know if it is released yet as a GH game; it is scheduled for October 31st.

vaportransmitter
10-21-2007, 09:32 PM
Soul Nomad is a StrategyRPG. GrimGrimoire is an RTS. I would consider putting GrimGrimoire in the borderline list, since it's story heavy and has a RPG-feel. Soul Nomad is part of the list.

You still need to add the ones from the post I made a few posts ups.

lendelin
12-17-2007, 09:29 AM
Added to the regular list:
1)Soul Nomad & The World Eaters. Nippon Ichi Software, NIS America, 9/25/07.
2)Musashi Samurai Legend (changed from borderline list to the regular list)
3)Digimon World 4. Bandai, Bandai, 6/1/05.

Added to the borderline list:
1)GrimGrimoire.* Vanillaware, NIS America, 7/26/07.

Additionally, I removed the MMORPGs from the regular list and put them in a separate list after the borderline category. They really shouldn’t be in the regular list, and the entries include all FF XI games (added was FFXI: Wings of Goddess), Everquest Online games, and Monster Hunter.

lendelin
12-17-2007, 09:32 AM
Soul Nomad is a StrategyRPG. GrimGrimoire is an RTS. I would consider putting GrimGrimoire in the borderline list, since it's story heavy and has a RPG-feel. Soul Nomad is part of the list.

Sorry to respond so late, but I was out of the country for six weeks with limited Internet access.

Completely agreed. I followed your suggestions and updated the list. (See the update post above)

lendelin
12-17-2007, 09:35 AM
Wish I would of found this sooner. I have an almost identical list saved on my comp.

Some titles to consider:

Castlevania: Curse of Darkness (Konami) / Castlevania: Lament of Innocence (Konami) - I'm always trying to find a reason to add these games. It has experience, levels, equipment, storyline, stats... but I still dunno if they should be counted.

Colosseum: Road to Freedom (Ertain) - I've never played. Looks like a hack n slash. Many places have classified it as an RPG.

Digimon World 4 (Bandai) - Hack n Slash RPG. Plain and simple.

Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel (Interplay) - Hack n Slash RPG. Plain and simple.

Gauntlet: Dark Legacy (Midway Games West) - Arcadey Hack n Slash.

Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows (Midway Games) - More traditional Hack n Slash RPG.

Pirates: Legend of the Black Kat (7 Studios) - Hack n Slash RPG of sorts, haven't really played it.

----

Samurai Legend Musashi is an RPG and should not be in borderline.
Furthermore, I remember hearing that monster Rancher EVO was an RPG this time around that abandoned many of the simulation elements of the previous games.

I've never understood why Harvest Moon (and RIver King for that matter) were considered RPGs. Enlighten me.

Musashi Samurai Legend should be indeed in the standard RPG list and not in the borderline category. I updated the list accordingly.

Digimon World 4. It is indeed an action RPG which plays much like FF Crystal Chronicles. I guess the Digimon title threw me off, I added it to the standard RPG List. THANKS!!

About your other suggestions:

This goes in a direction I tried to avoid, namely the definition of a RPG since you address important fusion categories. No matter how we define a RPG (from a minimum definition to a maximum definition) and/or identify specific elements as necessary but not sufficient elements of a RPG (e.g. statistics for characters, leveling up by various methods of increasing these statistics, menu-driven combat systems, and others), there will always be hard to define cases, borderline cases, and exclusions of games we actually want to include and vice versa.

The fusion categories strategy/RPG, action/RPG, adventure/RPG, and simulation/RPG are not only the result of insufficient genre definitions which plague videogames since their origins (the unfortunate and non-sensical ‘arcade game’ comes to mind), but are the result of design development in the last twenty years towards hybrid games as well. Even sports games nowadays have trivial RPG elements, and the separation lines between the genres are awfully thin at times. (Thinking about Alundra, the Zelda games, or Shadow of the Colossus.)

In the end we can only evaluate certain RPG-elements of specific games if they dominate or are pushed into the background in order to flavor a certain genre of a game.

Castlevania games: nah, otherwise we should include Devil May Cry and many other games too. One or two elements we’d identify as necessary for an RPG isn’t enough to be recognized as an RPG, otherwise we might include Madden games as well. (otherwise I share your enthusiasm for Castlevania games completely, from the first NES Castlevania to Curse of Darkness the series is one of my all-time favorites. Too bad that the first Devil May Cry was what Castlevania LoI should have been - bad Konami, great Capcom!) :)

Fallout Brotherhood of Steel. The similarities to Baldur’s Gate are clear since the same game engine is used, but the few RPG-elements (exploration, leveling up with upgrading armor and weapons) are clearly minor and the action elements are emphasized. It is a hack’n slash game with RPG elements added as nice spices, but the action dominates to such a degree and in particular the story is pushed into the background to such a degree that I wouldn’t put it even in the borderline category.

Same as the above goes for the two Gauntlet games. To add some collecting elements and customization elements to an otherwise button mashing hack’n slash fest spiced up by some weak story isn’t enough to make a game a RPG. I regard the three games as much a RPG as the original Gauntlet or the new Ninety-Nine Nights.

Harvest Moon and River King: my weak defense/justification is to be as inclusionary as possible, and the weakest justification for listing them is the agreed fusion category simulation/RPG which is out there. I can’t justify the listing with gameplay elements since I never played a Harvest Moon game. Maybe you can argue for the inclusion or exclusion from the list, and others can provide their input too. I’d have no problems to remove them or putting them in the borderline category.

lendelin
12-19-2007, 11:13 PM
Added to the MMORPG list:

Final Fantasy XI: Vana’diel Collection 2008.* Square Enix, Sony Online Entertainment, 11/20/07.

lendelin
12-21-2007, 08:00 PM
Added to the standard list:

Digimon World: Data Squad.* BEC, Bandai Namco, 9/18/07.

According to reviews a bad RPG, but nevertheless a RPG.

lendelin
12-29-2007, 12:23 AM
Just a heads up, not so new anymore but still available and an attractive offer for some of you:

$19.99 at GS/EB Games: (new)
Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner
Shin Megami Tensei Digital Devil Saga 2

$19.99 at Walmart:
GrimGrimoire
Shining Force Exa
Rogue Galaxy

(NOTE: Rogue Galaxy is at Target, K-Mart and Sears between $9 and $20, and Circuit City has it since yesterday for $20))

rapstyle
12-29-2007, 05:23 PM
Nice list,well done,XD:

eternalblue81
12-29-2007, 05:25 PM
I'd just like to add that anyone looking for Final Fantasy XII for cheap might want to check out their local Toys R Us. They recently clearanced it to 9.98 and through 1/1 they have a half off sale for clearance games under $10. I couldn't help but buy one for $5 even though I already have the GS collector's version, so now I have a regular version in my collection, too.

lendelin
12-30-2007, 09:55 PM
I have a Q:

Today I noticed that "Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Special Edition" is a Greatest Hits game although it is not listed in the official PS2 site as such. (I added the title to the Greatest Hits list)

The Q is if the Greatest Hits version belongs into the category "regular cases with extra content" as well. On the cover it says 'Includes Bonus Disc.'

Does anyone of you have this version of the game or played it and can give some information which new gameplay content the Special Edition includes and what the content of the bonus disc is?

This way we could decide if the title belongs in two categories. (extra content/greatest hits)

Wolfrider31
12-31-2007, 08:12 AM
What about Okami as borderline? It's styled so much after Zelda and most consider that in the RPG category.

lendelin
12-31-2007, 01:44 PM
I bit in the sour apple and bought today the Marvel Ultimate Alliance Special Edition which is the Greatest Hits version as well. (im not interested in GH versions otherwise)

There seems to be no expanded game content (unlike the Gold Edition of the game for the 360), but it includes a making-of DVD with trailers of the game.

I added the title to the category 'Regular Cases with extra content.'

The game (GH) is $14.80 at Walmart.
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u104/lendelin/Marvel1.jpg

lendelin
12-31-2007, 01:48 PM
What about Okami as borderline? It's styled so much after Zelda and most consider that in the RPG category.

I wouldn't include it. The inclusion would open a box of other "adventure" games like Shadow of the Colossus and many others.

lendelin
01-22-2008, 03:15 AM
Just a heads-up:

It seems that we'll get in March an interesting RPG. The game is Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis, a quirky, and so it seems fun Japanese RPG developed by Gust and published by NIS.

Unusual about the game is that it will get not only one, but two DIFFERENT deluxe sets. It will be only sold in the deluxe box that all retailers get, containing a mini-poster and a soundtrack CD. (similar box like Magna Carta or Ar Tonelico) Retail price is $39.99.

The second deluxe set is an exclusive release from ROSENQUEEN. It contains the soundtrack CD and mini-poster as well, however, it comes additionally with a Jess figurine and comes in a special, limited collector's box. It does NOT contain the regular deluxe box retailers will get...which makes it TWO sets to buy if you go for a complete RPG set for the PS2.

To get the 'regular' box won't be a problem, I guess, and I'll wait when it gets cheaper; but the exclusive Rosenqueen release might be hard to get in 6 months for the release price of $49.99 (think the $40 to $50 price increase of the Gamestop/EBGames exclusive box for .hack GU volume 1 with the figurine) Shipping is $7, which makes it $57 altogether.

The limited special edition can be pre-ordered from Rosenqueen. LINK:
http://www.rosenqueen.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=219&HS=1

Trebuken
01-22-2008, 03:09 PM
huh...I always thought of Okami as an RPG, but I can see why you would not include it....tough call for me...I like it in the RPG category myself.

Wolfrider31
01-22-2008, 03:15 PM
What about Heavenly Guardian?

lendelin
01-22-2008, 03:34 PM
Added to the category 'Regular Cases with Extra Content:'

03) Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. Limited Edition. Available in a standard edition and in an edition with a soundtrack CD. The front covers of the two versions are indistinguishable. The first printing contains the CD with the comment on the back cover “Includes Limited Edition Soundtrack CD,” whereas the second printing was released without the CD.

lendelin
01-22-2008, 03:39 PM
What about Heavenly Guardian?

I remember reading about it in preview sections, but it is not released yet in the US. I can't remember anything about the gameplay and if it qualifies as a RPG. Do you have any information about it?

heybtbm
01-22-2008, 04:20 PM
Added to the category 'Regular Cases with Extra Content:'

03) Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. Limited Edition. Available in a standard edition and in an edition with a soundtrack CD. The front covers of the two versions are indistinguishable. The first printing contains the CD with the comment on the back cover “Includes Limited Edition Soundtrack CD,” whereas the second printing was released without the CD.

Has this been confirmed? It doesn't make much sense seeing as Atlus had tons of the Nocturne CD's left over. They printed more soundtrack CD's than they did games and ended up giving them away free with orders from the Atlus.com store.

Also, there was only 1 printing of SMT: Nocturne according to Atlus USA themselves. Unless you've personally seen the different covers, I'd hold off "officially" updating the RPG list. There is a huge bootleg industry for rare games, I wouldn't be surprised if this is a boot. Atlus has been very clear about how many printings SMT: Nocturne received (which was 1).

Daria
01-22-2008, 04:35 PM
I normally don't care for the NIS exclusive "packages" as they're usually just a bunch of memorabilia bundled together for an exorbarent price. But the Mana Khemia set isn't any more expensive than any other new game and that outer case would look... impressive on the shelf. Figures not half bad either. I'm tempted to pre-order it.

lendelin
01-22-2008, 05:42 PM
Has this been confirmed? It doesn't make much sense seeing as Atlus had tons of the Nocturne CD's left over. They printed more soundtrack CD's than they did games and ended up giving them away free with orders from the Atlus.com store.

Also, there was only 1 printing of SMT: Nocturne according to Atlus USA themselves. Unless you've personally seen the different covers, I'd hold off "officially" updating the RPG list. There is a huge bootleg industry for rare games, I wouldn't be surprised if this is a boot. Atlus has been very clear about how many printings SMT: Nocturne received (which was 1).

I'm afraid the entry is correct. I wasn't aware of it either, but I'm sure one of our fellow RPG-DPers has the version with the CD.

Before I made the entry I looked around on various RPG sites which mentioned it frequently. I then looked around on ebay, and the CD-version with a double disc case was offered a lot. I then found this picture in the completed listings:

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u104/lendelin/SMTNocturne.jpg

It says indeed on the back cover "Includes Limited Edition Soundtrack CD." Also, the CD version was released with the security strip on top of the case, while the later version without the CD doesn't have the security strip. If that can count officially as a second printing, I don't know. It was referred to as such very often.

Too bad that the thing exists. I have the two versions of Phantom Brave and Marvel Ultimate Alliance, but not Nocturne. I got the non-CD version from a Gamecrazy sale new for $18 some time ago, it is still sealed, and thought I lucked out considering the price for the game today. That is why I never looked around on ebay or other sites and didn't notice that the CD version exists.

One thing is for sure: I won't pay $90 for the CD version, that is out of the question. It would just irk me to no end to pay so much money.

I assumed I'm only two games short of all the PS2 RPGs, and now there are still the two deluxe sets for Mana in March, Baroque will be released in one month, and now last but not least this damn CD version. :)

lendelin
01-22-2008, 05:47 PM
I normally don't care for the NIS exclusive "packages" as they're usually just a bunch of memorabilia bundled together for an exorbarent price. But the Mana Khemia set isn't any more expensive than any other new game and that outer case would look... impressive on the shelf. Figures not half bad either. I'm tempted to pre-order it.

Same here. It is not like the $90 Growlanser Deluxe set, and the packaging looks just too cute. :) Besides, it is its own version in its own package and not just a bundle thrown together which comes with the game.

Wolfrider31
01-22-2008, 05:55 PM
I remember reading about it in preview sections, but it is not released yet in the US. I can't remember anything about the gameplay and if it qualifies as a RPG. Do you have any information about it?

I'm not sure, it looks a little action-adventurey in the oldschool Zelda vein. I'm planning on picking it up though. I'll let you know when I get a chance to play it.

heybtbm
01-22-2008, 06:12 PM
I'm afraid the entry is correct. I wasn't aware of it either, but I'm sure one of our fellow RPG-DPers has the version with the CD.

Before I made the entry I looked around on various RPG sites which mentioned it frequently. I then looked around on ebay, and the CD-version with a double disc case was offered a lot. I then found this picture in the completed listings:

It says indeed on the back cover "Includes Limited Edition Soundtrack CD." Also, the CD version was released with the security strip on top of the case, while the later version without the CD doesn't have the security strip. If that can count officially as a second printing, I don't know. It was referred to as such very often.

Too bad that the thing exists. I have the two versions of Phantom Brave and Marvel Ultimate Alliance, but not Nocturne. I got the non-CD version from a Gamecrazy sale new for $18 some time ago, it is still sealed, and thought I lucked out considering the price for the game today. That is why I never looked around on ebay or other sites and didn't notice that the CD version exists.

One thing is for sure: I won't pay $90 for the CD version, that is out of the question. It would just irk me to no end to pay so much money.

I assumed I'm only two games short of all the PS2 RPGs, and now there are still the two deluxe sets for Mana in March, Baroque will be released in one month, and now last but not least this damn CD version. :)

Wait a minute. I'm confused. The only version of Nocturne is the version that comes with the soundtrack CD. There wasn't a "non soundtrack CD" version. What I was doubting in my original post was the existence of a "non soundtrack CD" version. The picture you provided (as well as the bulk of your post I'm quoting above) just shows the version of Nocturne that everyone has. Am I missing something?

It's not really a big deal, it just seems like we're having two totally different conversations about the same thing.

My understanding:

Nocturne (with soundtrack CD) = exists. This is what I have.
Nocturne (without soundtrack CD) = rumor. No evidence supporting its existence.

Daria
01-22-2008, 06:19 PM
Well... Lendelin says that he owns a non-cd version of the game and that it was factory sealed without a security strip. That just screams a Game Quest Direct reprint.

lendelin
01-22-2008, 06:31 PM
My understanding:

Nocturne (with soundtrack CD) = exists. This is what I have.
Nocturne (without soundtrack CD) = rumor. No evidence supporting its existence.

AHHH...:) For you the early release was the regular version and not in doubt, for me the later non-CD version was the regular one and I doubted the early CD release. Lucky you, I don't have the CD version.

Here is a pic of the later release without CD:

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u104/lendelin/SMTNocturneBack.jpg

I bought it new and on sale from Gamecrazy about a year and a half after its release, it is still sealed. I suspect Daria is right, it might be a GameQuestDirect reprint, I think I remember darkly that this was the case. The non-CD-version was released when Sony didn't use the security strip anymore.

heybtbm
01-22-2008, 06:55 PM
Here is a pic of the later release without CD:

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u104/lendelin/SMTNocturneBack.jpg

Wow. A non-CD version does exist. I stand corrected.

For what it's worth, Atlus has posted on their old forums that there never was a GQD reprint of Nocturne. I'm beginning to question if that was truly a "fact" or not.

I've always had the version with the soundtrack. I bought it on Nocturne's release day (sometime in Oct. 2004) at Gamestop.

esquire
01-22-2008, 09:24 PM

Make that 3 games short if you don't have Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of the Illuminus, as you don't have it listed on the first page. I completely forgot about this until I saw it at the local Gamestop. A brief check on IGN shows it was released 11/20/07, but I don't recall seeing it until recently.

http://ps2.ign.com/objects/890/890126.html

lendelin
01-22-2008, 11:19 PM
Make that 3 games short if you don't have Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of the Illuminus, as you don't have it listed on the first page. I completely forgot about this until I saw it at the local Gamestop. A brief check on IGN shows it was released 11/20/07, but I don't recall seeing it until recently.

http://ps2.ign.com/objects/890/890126.html

Are you a sadist? ANOTHER game to get? :)

Seriously, thanks a lot!! I completely overlooked the game, never saw it, I can't remember reading a review about it. I will update the list when I'm sure about the release date and do some more checking. IGN says indeed November 20th.

Did you buy it new from GS or used? Maybe the release was delayed and IGN didn't update the entry.

esquire
01-22-2008, 11:47 PM
Are you a sadist? ANOTHER game to get? :)

Seriously, thanks a lot!! I completely overlooked the game, never saw it, I can't remember reading a review about it. I will update the list when I'm sure about the release date and do some more checking. IGN says indeed November 20th.

Did you buy it new from GS or used? Maybe the release was delayed and IGN didn't update the entry.

I didn't buy it, I just saw it on the shelf.

lendelin
01-22-2008, 11:48 PM
esquire, thanks again! I checked, and it seems indeed that the game was released on November 20th. IGN says it is also on xbox 360, but I couldn't find it anywhere for the 360. Only for the PS2 and PC...btw, CC and BB don't have it offered online, but amazon, GS/EB, and many other retailers.

I added to the regular list:

Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of the Illuminus.* Expansion pack to Phantasy Star Universe. Sonic Team, Sega, 11/20/07.

bcks007
01-23-2008, 05:24 AM
Does anybody know if Duel Masters has another version?
I got a used copy from someone on ebay, it was in a double cd case, that included a limited edition dvd for this game.
The extra dvd, is not a official ps2 disc with slus code. It has tips on how to play the actual video game, kinda like a learn to play this game video.

It seems to have the same artwork as the normal version. My copy was missing its free trading cards though.:grumble: So i will prolly snag a new version in the future.

Could be another version of this game?, or what?
This person would have had to take it out of a single cd case, and put it in a double cd case if it wasn't a double cd version of this game. So im unsure about it. Maybe other people have this limited edition dvd aswell.:-/

Daria
01-23-2008, 09:45 AM
I went ahead and preordered Mana Khemia, but I'm curious. The description Rosenqueen has posted claims Mana is the 5th Atelier Iris game starting with Eternal Mana, however I thought this was only the forth game. Was one not localized? I know there's more Atelier games for the Marie series... but not for Iris. I'm confused.

lendelin
01-23-2008, 01:05 PM
I got a used copy from someone on ebay, it was in a double cd case, that included a limited edition dvd for this game.
The extra dvd, is not a official ps2 disc with slus code. It has tips on how to play the actual video game, kinda like a learn to play this game video.

It seems to have the same artwork as the normal version. My copy was missing its free trading cards though.:grumble: So i will prolly snag a new version in the future.

This person would have had to take it out of a single cd case, and put it in a double cd case if it wasn't a double cd version of this game. So im unsure about it. Maybe other people have this limited edition dvd aswell.:-/

Very interesting. My new copy ("Limited edition" on the front cover) has the trading card package, but not a bonus CD. I never heard of it either, but that doesn't say much. Can you post pics? Does it mention on the covers something about a bonus DVD?

lendelin
01-23-2008, 01:12 PM
I went ahead and preordered Mana Khemia, but I'm curious. The description Rosenqueen has posted claims Mana is the 5th Atelier Iris game starting with Eternal Mana, however I thought this was only the forth game. Was one not localized? I know there's more Atelier games for the Marie series... but not for Iris. I'm confused.

This might be a typo, and I'm confused as you are. I know that there are other games in the Atelier-series which never made it outside of Japan, but I never heard of a fourth Atelier Iris besides the three localized PS2 games.

If they are correct, maybe a game for a handheld, pre-PS2 game for the Saturn, PS, PC or SNes?

bcks007
01-23-2008, 09:26 PM
Very interesting. My new copy ("Limited edition" on the front cover) has the trading card package, but not a bonus CD. I never heard of it either, but that doesn't say much. Can you post pics? Does it mention on the covers something about a bonus DVD?

It seems to be the same cover as the normal cover, my roommate has this game aswell, so i just compared the 2. Doesn't mention any extra cd.
I could get pic of the cd if you thats what you wanted, yes? Prolly wouldn't be till next week, since i need to use someone else's scanner for that.

lendelin
01-24-2008, 03:39 AM
I went ahead and preordered Mana Khemia,...

Thank godness we pre-ordered in time; it is already out of stock. It seems that it was indeed limited to 1000.

I didn't buy a second one to resell. I expect that the set will be offered a plenty on ebay, this set got enough publicity. The dot Hack GU VOl. 1 set on the other hand flew under the radar, didn't get publicity, and was sold by Gamestop/EBGames exclusively for $40 6 months after its release, that is if you were lucky to find one.

I'd be still interested how many of the dot hack GU Vol.1 sets with figurine were produced.

bcks007
01-24-2008, 04:17 AM
Noooooooooooo, crap you sure it was out of stock already? I just got paid, and was planing to get it paid for today.:grrr::puppydogeyes:

lendelin
01-24-2008, 11:14 AM
Noooooooooooo, crap you sure it was out of stock already? I just got paid, and was planing to get it paid for today.:grrr::puppydogeyes:

Sorry, but yeah, it is out of stock already. Link:

http://www.rosenqueen.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=219&HS=1

I guess you'll get it almost for the same price on ebay in late March. There will be a lot of offers on ebay, and this will probably deflate the price. But then...you never know...

lendelin
01-26-2008, 02:52 PM
For the sake of consistency, collecting aspects, and for the non-completionists who still want to make sure that they have everything included in the original release, I added entries to the category 'Regular cases With Extra Content.'

If you have information about different versions of the following games (that means standard releases without the 'extra' content), please let us know. Also please shout, scream, and trample with your feet if you know about other games which came with extra content in regular cases.

I also corrected slightly the entry for Dragon Quest VIII. I forgot to mention that the game came with a playable demo of FFXII.

01) .hack Part 1: Infection. Sold only in this version with extra content. Includes a bonus DVD with an anime movie of the series.

02) .hack Part 2: Mutation. Sold only in this version with extra content. Includes a bonus DVD with an anime movie of the series.

03) .hack Part 3: Outbreak. Sold only in this version with extra content. Includes a bonus DVD with an anime movie of the series.

04) .hack Part 4: Quarantine. Sold only in this version with extra content. Includes a bonus DVD with an anime movie of the series.

05) Digimon World 4. Sold only in this edition with extra content. Included is a trading card of ‘Dorumon’ in clear plastic wrapping.

06) Digimon World: Data Squad. Sold only in this edition with extra content. Included is a pack of Digimon stickers.

07) Duel Masters. Sold only in this edition with extra content. Includes a pack of ten cards in gold wrapping.

08) Fullmetal Alchemist 2: Curse of the Crimson Elixir. Sold only in this version with extra content. Includes a bonus DVD with two episodes of the anime series.

10) Mega Man X: Command Mission. Sold only in this version with extra content. Included is a Mega Man trading card.

13) Suikoden Tactics. Sold only in this edition with extra content. Included is a soundtrack CD of the Suikoden series.

14) Wild Arms: Alter Code F. Sold only in this version with extra content. Included is a bonus DVD with episode 1 of the anime series.

CORRECTION Dragon Quest VIII:
The cardboard box contains a playable demo disc of Final Fantasy XII. Sold only in the cardboard box.

bcks007
01-26-2008, 05:02 PM
Stuff that comes with extras.

Growlanser: Generations, has a alternative box art, I seen it sold on ebay, the person claimed he got it from working designs. So it may be very rare, or there is the possibility of that person lying. I saved those pics of what it looks like, seemed very legit. Too bad i didn't win that auction. Not sure if it was sold to the general public.

Inuyasha: The Secret of the Cursed Mask, comes with some trading card, i didn't get my card, as i got it used, i believe it mentions it on the back of the box.

Shadow Hearts. This is kinda big, i can provide pics if needed, don't own this, but got pics. There is a, "Not for Resale" version of this game, people got it for pre-ordering Shadow Hearts: Covenant. The discs for normal and NFR are rumored to be the same, but the case, and manual are both different.
Its fairly easy to find on ebay.

Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sprach Zarathustra. There is different cover versions for this, im not sure if its a messed up color version, or a on purpose color version, but its quite shiny.(there is a name for this) I've seen this a few times on ebay. No pics of it. :(

Thats all i know for now. :)

lendelin
01-26-2008, 09:33 PM
Stuff that comes with extras.

Growlanser: Generations, has a alternative box art, I seen it sold on ebay, the person claimed he got it from working designs. So it may be very rare, or there is the possibility of that person lying. I saved those pics of what it looks like, seemed very legit. Too bad i didn't win that auction. Not sure if it was sold to the general public.

I pre-ordered it from WD but have the common, everywhere pictured cover of the box. Never saw another box art. Please post pics so we can decide if its legit.

Inuyasha: The Secret of the Cursed Mask, comes with some trading card, i didn't get my card, as i got it used, i believe it mentions it on the back of the box.

I bought it new, and it doesn't have a trading card inside. The front and back cover don't mention a card at all. (which is usually the case). To put it into the list we'd need the assurance of someone who bought it new and a pic of the back cover/trading card.

Shadow Hearts. This is kinda big, i can provide pics if needed, don't own this, but got pics. There is a, "Not for Resale" version of this game, people got it for pre-ordering Shadow Hearts: Covenant. The discs for normal and NFR are rumored to be the same, but the case, and manual are both different.
Its fairly easy to find on ebay.

Although this wouldn't go under regular cases with extra content becasue it is a cover and manual variation, it is nevertheless interesting. (like disc label variations I wouldn't include because it gets very complicated then); nevertheless this is of interest for lots of guys on here. Would be nice if you could post a pic. (I remember the preorder deal, though, but didn't think it came with a cover variation)

Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sprach Zarathustra. There is different cover versions for this, im not sure if its a messed up color version, or a on purpose color version, but its quite shiny.(there is a name for this) I've seen this a few times on ebay. No pics of it. :(

I'll have to look into this. If I'm VERY VERY sure, I'll include it of course, because this might count as extra content if it is a shiny thingie card (=expert lingo) on top of the regular cover.

Thats all i know for now. :)

Thanks for the input. Like always, it is much appreciated.

fuchikoma
01-26-2008, 10:30 PM
http://www.xenolegacy.net/?subaction=showcomments&id=1155935952&archive=&start_from=&ucat=&

Xenosaga's official price has dropped to $39.99 in USD. In addition to that, a variety of preorder gifts are available at different stores. Game Stop and EB Games are reciving an art book (size and page count are unknown), Best Buy will have a limited edition lenticular cover, and Game Crazy will be handing out a large poster of T-ELOS.

Pretty sure that it's a removable insert and not stuck on in any way. Though if its factory sealed...

lendelin
01-26-2008, 10:35 PM
bcks007, I just checked and there is indeed a cover version of Shadow Hearts.

It says "Promotional Copy Not For Resale" in a white border on the front cover. You're right, probably from the pre-order deal with Covenant. It seems that the manual and disc label are identical with the standard version, though, I checked four pics and that seems to be the case.

It is an interesting variation but doesn't qualify to put in the list, though. Nevertheless, thanks a lot for the heads-up!!

lendelin
01-26-2008, 10:42 PM
http://www.xenolegacy.net/?subaction=showcomments&id=1155935952&archive=&start_from=&ucat=&

Pretty sure that it's a removable insert and not stuck on in any way. Though if its factory sealed...

Thanks a lot for the heads up, that clears it up. I wouldn't put the BB edition with a lenticular cover in the list then, though, because this seems to be then more of a cover variation. Unless, of course, the lenticular cover is just on the regular cover as a bonus insert, then it might belong in the extra content list.

bcks007
01-27-2008, 06:19 AM
I bought it new, and it doesn't have a trading card inside. The front and back cover don't mention a card at all. (which is usually the case). To put it into the list we'd need the assurance of someone who bought it new and a pic of the back cover/trading card.

Well now you gotta add it, cause i found a pic of both versions online. I own the trading card version btw, i was gonna ask you for a pic of the non-trading card version, but i found a nice picture of it on someones ebay auction. :) The only way to tell which copy you have is to check the back of the box or possibly pending your slus and pdss numbers not matching the ones on my copy.

Do you know if this got a 2nd printing?

Can you please check your copy of Inuyasha: The Secret of the Cursed Mask, and tell me if these match or are different on your copy.

On the side of my case, it says SLUS 20913P (i never noticed the P at the end till i checked my copy, just now) Is that the same for you?

It also says, Item #18026, under the slus on the side of the case, please check your's for this number, different or same?

Now i doubt these will be different, but i would like you to check your disc of Inuyasha, on the rim of the disc, you will find a PDSS number, mine is PDSS-011845, yours the same? (it should be, these usually only get changes on GH copys of games)

My disc says SLUS 20913, yours should be the same.

These pics where gotten from gamefaqs.
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/7/919487_back.jpg

Spine pic,
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/7/919487_60536_spine.jpg

For the Growlanser: Generations box art, and Shadow Hearts box, and manual variants i will need to upload them somewhere before i can post them, I might trying uploading on my geocities account real soon.

For the Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sprach Zarathustra different artwork, i heard you got the special artwork only with that special version of that, you don't get the normal artwork for it. I've also seen it sealed, so i really think it should count, cause it is a variant that is worthy of being sought after. :)

lendelin
01-27-2008, 10:53 AM
Well now you gotta add it, cause i found a pic of both versions online. I own the trading card version btw, i was gonna ask you for a pic of the non-trading card version, but i found a nice picture of it on someones ebay auction. :) The only way to tell which copy you have is to check the back of the box or possibly pending your slus and pdss numbers not matching the ones on my copy.

Do you know if this got a 2nd printing?

Can you please check your copy of Inuyasha: The Secret of the Cursed Mask, and tell me if these match or are different on your copy.

On the side of my case, it says SLUS 20913P (i never noticed the P at the end till i checked my copy, just now) Is that the same for you?

It also says, Item #18026, under the slus on the side of the case, please check your's for this number, different or same?

Now i doubt these will be different, but i would like you to check your disc of Inuyasha, on the rim of the disc, you will find a PDSS number, mine is PDSS-011845, yours the same? (it should be, these usually only get changes on GH copys of games)

My disc says SLUS 20913, yours should be the same.

For the Growlanser: Generations box art, and Shadow Hearts box, and manual variants i will need to upload them somewhere before i can post them, I might trying uploading on my geocities account real soon.

For the Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sprach Zarathustra different artwork, i heard you got the special artwork only with that special version of that, you don't get the normal artwork for it. I've also seen it sealed, so i really think it should count, cause it is a variant that is worthy of being sought after. :)

Nice job! I'll add Inuyasha to the list with extra content, and it is at the same time the fourth one in the list which was released without the extra content.

The SLUS # of my case (w/o the card): 20913 (no P at the end)
Item # 18026 (same)
SLUS and PDSS numbers on disc: same as yours

The only difference between the versions is therefore that the one with trading card has a SLUS number with an additional P on the spine of the case. (besides the more important and more obvious back cover)

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u104/lendelin/InuyashaFinal.jpg

About Growlanser Generations: Interesting are the different cover variations and disc label variations although it wouldn't make it to the list. In particular WD is notorious for having lots of variations of both. (thinking about the PSX RPGs)
Very important were if the box art of the outer box of the deluxe set had variations, this should be mentioned in the list. I doubt it very much though.

Xenosaga III: If the lenticular cover is a removable insert in addition to the regular cover, then it will be indeed added to the list. This certainly qualifies as extra content and goes beyond the common cover variation. I have to look into it.

Thanks again, nice job, I appreciate it! Inuyasha in particular is very helpful. When I did the list I just checked my games, and since my Inuyasha doesn't have a card I overlooked it. Interesting is now if the other games I listed came only with the extra content or got a standard release as well.

lendelin
01-27-2008, 11:22 AM
Added to the list "Regular Cases With Extra Content."

09) Inuyasha: The Secret of the Cursed Mask. Available in a standard version and in an edition with a trading card. The front covers of the two versions are identical. The edition with extra content has on the back cover "Includes Exclusive Limited Edition Inuyasha Trading Card," and the SLUS number has an additional 'P' at the end. (SLUS 20913P)

lendelin
01-27-2008, 11:56 AM
I checked my games which I added as having regular cases with extra content for the SLUS numbers.

There are two more games which have a 'P' added to the number, namely Wild Arms Alter Code F and Digimon World 4. This suggests that both were released as standard versions without the extra content as well. (DVD anime movie and trading card, respectively)

IMPORTANT:
If someone of you has a version of these two games without the extra content (no bonus items mentioned on the back cover, no imprint on the front cover about a bonus disc of Wild Arms Alter Code F), please let us know.

Wild Arms Alter Code F: SLUS 20937P
Digimon World 4: SLUS 20836P

Your copies should have the same numbers w/o the P.

bcks007
01-28-2008, 07:07 AM
I just remembered another version of a game i have thats different. I checked gamefaqs to see if i had the normal version, but i do not.
It is Fullmetal Alchemist and the Broken Angel. Anyway whats so special about it, is that i bought it from Canada, big deal right? Well its quite different the the normal NTSC/UC release.

First off, its spine slus is SLUS-20994-F, its slus on the disc is SLUS-20994-F, and it comes with 2 manuals, one in English, other in French.

I own quite a few games for the ps2, approaching 700, and this is the first and only game I've ever gotten with -F at the end. I've bought many games from canada sellers. I have came across 2 other games that did come with a french manual and a english manual, those games where The Getaway: Black Monday and TimeSplitters: Future Perfect. Neither one of those are special or different then there ntsc normal verison, far as i can tell, besides getting a extra manual.

I don't think this -F at the end of the slus is common at all for canada copys of ntsc games, is it?

Can you check your pdss, upc, item number or any other numbers if applicable and let me know them, i will compare them with my copy.

Maybe you should open up a Miscellaneous category for the the odd ones that i keep finding? I think its good idea to do that. I guess i gotta get a picture of this now, unless you can find some info on it, hope so. :)

Oobgarm
01-28-2008, 07:51 AM
I've never seen a -F on an SLUS catalog number, nor have I heard of it before. A pic would be much appreciated.

Generally, the P on the end denotes a 'premium' or 'promotional' release. Copies of Shadow Hearts and Midway Arcade Treasures that say 'NOT FOR RESALE' have that one the spine, too.

bcks007
01-28-2008, 08:33 AM
I've never seen a -F on an SLUS catalog number, nor have I heard of it before. A pic would be much appreciated.

Generally, the P on the end denotes a 'premium' or 'promotional' release. Copies of Shadow Hearts and Midway Arcade Treasures that say 'NOT FOR RESALE' have that one the spine, too.

Wow, i didn't know that about either of those 2 games, since i don't own either.
I've heard there is a 'NOT FOR RESALE' of each of the Midway Arcade Treasures 1-3, this true?
I've also noticed there seems to be a Orange Artwork version called Midway Arcade Treasures 1, which is different then the Midway Arcade Treasures, see pic of normal,
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/4/917854_front.jpg

It looks more like the Midway Arcade Treasures 2 and Midway Arcade Treasures 3 artwork versions.
Could this Orange box version, be the 'NOT FOR RESALE' version?
If not, does the 'NOT FOR RESALE' versions of it look like the gamefaqs pic i posted?
If you need to find the Orange color version artwork, i know its almost always listed on ebay.

Do you know of any other 'NOT FOR RESALE' ps2 games?
I know of ATV Offroad Fury 2, Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec and Shadow Hearts.
I've also heard about Midway Arcade Treasures 1-3 and L.A. Rush possibly having those, but ive not seen these, and can't confirm on them, can you?

Oobgarm
01-28-2008, 09:39 AM
Midway Arcade Treasures 1 looks just like the one above and has a large red box on the front that says "NOT FOR RESALE". The orange looking one is just a reprinted version to look like Treasures 2 & 3. I think Shadow Hearts is the same with the box on the front. I've not seen it (or the others you mention), so I have no idea on them.

The Sony ones are different, as they have special catalog numbers. The GT3 one is PBPX, I know for certain-it's probably different since it has an entirely different cover. The ATV one, I dunno, since I've not personally seen it either.

This should be split off into it's own topic, methinks.

lendelin
01-29-2008, 01:46 PM
I just remembered another version of a game i have thats different. I checked gamefaqs to see if i had the normal version, but i do not.
It is Fullmetal Alchemist and the Broken Angel. Anyway whats so special about it, is that i bought it from Canada, big deal right? Well its quite different the the normal NTSC/UC release.

First off, its spine slus is SLUS-20994-F, its slus on the disc is SLUS-20994-F, and it comes with 2 manuals, one in English, other in French.

I own quite a few games for the ps2, approaching 700, and this is the first and only game I've ever gotten with -F at the end. I've bought many games from canada sellers. I have came across 2 other games that did come with a french manual and a english manual, those games where The Getaway: Black Monday and TimeSplitters: Future Perfect. Neither one of those are special or different then there ntsc normal verison, far as i can tell, besides getting a extra manual.

I don't think this -F at the end of the slus is common at all for canada copys of ntsc games, is it?

Can you check your pdss, upc, item number or any other numbers if applicable and let me know them, i will compare them with my copy.

MY copy of Fullmetal Alchemist Broken Angel has a 'regular' SLUS number (20994), same on the disc. The PDSS number is PDSS 013235.

Maybe you should open up a Miscellaneous category for the the odd ones that i keep finding? I think its good idea to do that. I guess i gotta get a picture of this now, unless you can find some info on it, hope so. :)

Then we'd go into cover variations, manual variations and disc label variations. To make a reliable (!), complete list and not merely an anecdotal and selective one of those is lots of work and goes beyond what I intended to do; but PLEASE keep these informations coming if they refer to RPGs, it is very interesting and informative for lots of collectors even if we don't put it in a comprehensive list!

Same as the above goes for the Canadian variations, after all this is a list of US releases. I know that Canada is basically slightly more than an expansion of the United States, but we should draw a line there. :) (For all of you Canadians and Quebecois PLEASE do not engage now in the fashionable 'You Americans'-bashing! I'm a German citizen living in the US and the remark is ironic. If bashing is necessary, please rant about short-sighted Germans who have no culture.) :)

Questions remaining:

Digimon World 4 without a card? I found a pic (scan) of the backcover on gamefaqs with no card mentioned (I have the card variation), so in all likelihood a relase w/o the card exists. Before i put it in the list I'd like to have more confirmation, though.

Wild Arms Alter Code F without the DVD? I haven't seen a release on which the DVD isn't mentioned on the front cover and backcover, and i looked around on various RPG sites and ebay.

Xenosaga 3 with lenticular card? No news yet, haven't seen one.

Duel Masters with extra DVD and not only the trading card? Nothing new here either except for your heads up, would be great if you could post a pic at one point, this would be an important addition to the list.

bcks007
01-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Yeah, been busy sorry, will work on getting pics up this evening maybe.
For Duel Masters i have no idea if this is a true add in, or possibly some other disc from a strat guide, tips guide cd, extra, i have a bunch of those, but they came with there own cases. The seller could have very well, took the single duel masters case, and gutted it, and put everything in a double case, there is no way to tell, without finding a new copy of this, or new artwork, or finding another source of where this extra cd came from.

For Xenosaga 3 with lenticular card, i don't think it comes with lenticular card, but the acctual artwork around the case is lenticular.(shinny) I've seen a pic once, wish i would have saved it.

eternalblue81
01-29-2008, 10:48 PM
I really regret not getting the Best Buy exclusive cover version of Xenosaga III. I bought the game the day it out, and was pretty tempted by it, but wound up getting it at Gamestop so I could buy the guide with it for 20% off and get the preorder artbooklet. I figured I could probably find a cheap used copy of it with that cover later on, but I've never seen it since.

Anyone that's looking for the BB cover, it's not just a lenticular version of the normal Xenosaga III cover. It has T-ELOS, the same image as is used on the Xenosaga III strategy guide.

lendelin
01-29-2008, 11:08 PM
I really regret not getting the Best Buy exclusive cover version of Xenosaga III. I bought the game the day it out, and was pretty tempted by it, but wound up getting it at Gamestop so I could buy the guide with it for 20% off and get the preorder artbooklet. I figured I could probably find a cheap used copy of it with that cover later on, but I've never seen it since.

Anyone that's looking for the BB cover, it's not just a lenticular version of the normal Xenosaga III cover. It has T-ELOS, the same image as is used on the Xenosaga III strategy guide.

Can you remember if the cover was a removable lenticular card? or 'just' a cover variation of the game? If it was a removable insert then it should be in the list for extra content.

I got my copy from CC for $13 when it was on sale. I didn't know about the BB cover until bcks007 mentioned it.

lendelin
01-30-2008, 12:22 AM
The only useful thing I found googeling about the XENOSAGA III COVER is from a xenosaga 3 message board (besides our thread which came up pretty often):

Source (post #42):
http://xenosaga3.namco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106&page=5

Quote:
"The Best Buy's Lenticular cover is nothing more than a lenticular pencil-board thing slipped in between the regular cover and the game case's clear plastic, and then the whole thing shrinkwrapped. I picked mine up at Best Buy in the release week. It's a limited run and therefore you may not find it anymore in the store now. It can look 'fake' in a picture because it's just a plastic lenticular insert placed on top of the regular cover, more like an add-on."

This suggests it is indeed a removable insert as an add-on to the regular cover and should put in the list with extra content.

I'd like more confirmation before I update the list.

bcks007
01-30-2008, 01:14 AM
MY copy of Fullmetal Alchemist Broken Angel has a 'regular' SLUS number (20994), same on the disc. The PDSS number is PDSS 013235.

Questions remaining:

Digimon World 4 without a card? I found a pic (scan) of the backcover on gamefaqs with no card mentioned (I have the card variation), so in all likelihood a relase w/o the card exists. Before i put it in the list I'd like to have more confirmation, though.

Wow, i see the pic at gamefaqs, can you get a pic of your copy? Just so we know the other version looks like?

Also for Fullmetal Alchemist Broken Angel, my PDSS number is 016565, which is different then yours. So yeah, what can we do about this? I will have to get scans from a person i know who owns a scanner, for this game, and the Duel Masters extra cd i found.
Gonna see what i can do to get those other pictures i promised uploaded somewhere tonight, if i host them on my geocites site, could you copy them, and put them up somewhere else? I don't want those pictures to crash the bandwich there, i will see what i can do.....

bcks007
01-30-2008, 02:45 AM
Lets try this out. 8-)

Here is the back pic for Shadow Hearts, notice the different upc. For some reason i forgot to save a front pic, and I've never seen the spine pic.

CD and Manual pic, is the cd supposed to have a -P on it? Notice the manual is indeed different.

Time for some crazy Growlanser Generations Alternate Artwork.
Pics 3 and 6, are those from the regular version of the game, or deluxe set or neither? I don't own either, so i don't know, i just saved those pictures from the same ebay listing. Also please compare the upc to the normal edtion, it doesn't match the deluxe set, but im unsure for the norm.

Thats all the cool pics i got for now.:-P

lendelin
01-30-2008, 04:25 AM
Here is the pic of my copy of Digimon World 4 with card:

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u104/lendelin/02DigimonWorld4x.jpg

Your cover variation of Growlanser Generations is interesting. Never saw this one before. WD is well known for doing cover and disc label variations, though, but I didn't expect to see two different variants for the soundtrack CD as well which are different from mine. If yours are from the deluxe set or special items individually sold or single giveaways, I don't know.

Here is my copy and the soundtrack CD which are from the deluxe set pre-ordered from Working Designs directly. (a direct pre-order from WD came with an extra set of cards and a pin, not a lousy t-shirt)

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u104/lendelin/00Growlanser1.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u104/lendelin/00Growlanser2.jpg

Here is also the backcover of my Shadow Hearts, the UPC code is indeed different from your promotional copy. Good to know that the cover and manual are different, and that even the CD has the promotional 'P' with the SLUS number.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u104/lendelin/01ShadowHearts.jpg

bcks007
01-30-2008, 04:37 AM
Your post count is elite btw. :wink 2:
lendelin, would you mind saving my pics, and uploading them somewhere that isn't going to run out of bandwich?

Btw, None of your pics showed up?

Good to know that the cover and manual are different, and that even the CD has the promotional 'P' with the SLUS number.

I think you miss understood me. I don't see a -P on that game disc version of shadow hearts, im not sure if it should or not, i was only asking about it, from other people, who own this 'not for sale' version.

lendelin
01-30-2008, 01:12 PM
lendelin, would you mind saving my pics, and uploading them somewhere that isn't going to run out of bandwich?

Btw, None of your pics showed up?

I can see my pics fine, I upoad them from Photobucket and haven't had a prob with it. They don't show up?

Here are your pics, I resized them. You can remove the pics from your posts.

Growlanser Generations variants (originally posted by bcks007):

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u104/lendelin/8Zbcks007GrowlanserFinal.jpg

Shadow Hearts Promotional Copy 'Not For Resale (originally posted by bcks007):'

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u104/lendelin/9Zbcks007ShadowHeartsFinal.jpg

Inuyasha Back Cover with Trading Card (originally posted by bcks007):

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u104/lendelin/1Zbcks007Inuyasha_back.jpg

eternalblue81
01-30-2008, 08:30 PM
Can you remember if the cover was a removable lenticular card? or 'just' a cover variation of the game? If it was a removable insert then it should be in the list for extra content..

I couldn't really tell because the games were in Best Buy's security cases.

Your cover variation of Growlanser Generations is interesting. Never saw this one before. WD is well known for doing cover and disc label variations, though, but I didn't expect to see two different variants for the soundtrack CD as well which are different from mine. If yours are from the deluxe set or special items individually sold or single giveaways, I don't know.

This is a promo mock-up version that Working Designs made, but wasn't used for the game's release. I remember seeing Vic Ireland (either it's him or some other former WD employee) selling it with explanation in an ebay listing.
*edit*I found a finished listing for one here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140193250669

I think you miss understood me. I don't see a -P on that game disc version of shadow hearts, im not sure if it should or not, i was only asking about it, from other people, who own this 'not for sale' version.

I can confirm from my copy that the disc simply has SLUS 20347, as does the spine. There isn't any P following the SLUS number on either. The only distinctions seem to be that the cover and instruction book cover both say "Promotional Copy Not for Resale" and the different UPC number.

bcks007
01-31-2008, 03:48 AM
A few questions.

Is Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. Special Edition, the only version of greatest hits, or is there a normal version of GH's for this game?

Is there only 1 version of FF11? The pics i seen of it on gamefaqs, say not for resale on the case of the game. Why would it say this, if the only way to get ff11 was with the boxed HD package?
Are all loose copys i see on ebay, the Not for resale version?

lendelin, thanks for hosting those pics for me. :) Plus showing your pics you got.:popcorn:

Did you see the other info i post for Fullmetal Alchemist and the Broken Angel?, you didn't comment on it, so im not sure.....:angel: I really think you should add this one, the PDSS is different..... Everything about it is different.:villagepeople: Yes i will get pics eventually for this.

For Growlanser Generations, was the soundtrack pics i posted, different then yours?

My next days off from work, i will my best to get those other items on a scanner, so i can post them.

bcks007
01-31-2008, 07:44 AM
Another question that puzzles my mind.

For the anybody that opened there copy of hack//G.U. Vol. 1//Rebirth. Special Edition, the so called "Terminal Disc", is that a actual ps2 disc, that got a scus, or slus number? Or just some dvd? I really don't know, and would like to know this please.:?

bcks007
01-31-2008, 10:39 AM
Questions remaining:

Will this work?;)

lendelin
01-31-2008, 11:20 AM
A few questions.

Is Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. Special Edition, the only version of greatest hits, or is there a normal version of GH's for this game?

Is there only 1 version of FF11? The pics i seen of it on gamefaqs, say not for resale on the case of the game. Why would it say this, if the only way to get ff11 was with the boxed HD package?
Are all loose copys i see on ebay, the Not for resale version?

lendelin, thanks for hosting those pics for me. :) Plus showing your pics you got.:popcorn:

Did you see the other info i post for Fullmetal Alchemist and the Broken Angel?, you didn't comment on it, so im not sure.....:angel: I really think you should add this one, the PDSS is different..... Everything about it is different.:villagepeople: Yes i will get pics eventually for this.

For Growlanser Generations, was the soundtrack pics i posted, different then yours?

My next days off from work, i will my best to get those other items on a scanner, so i can post them.

1. "Marvel Ultimate Alliance Special Edition" with the DVD was only released in the Greatest Hits packaging, and it was the only Greatest Hits release the game got.

2. The Qs about FF11 I cannot answer since I haven't any of them. I'm not interested in MMORPGs although I have the two Everquest games and Monster Hunter. Maybe someone else could?

3. Your two Growlanser Generations soundtrack CDs were both different from mine. (I posted a pic of my CD)

4. I commented on your Broken Angel variation (ironic Canada remark :) ) It seems that it is an interesting variation but won't make it in the list since it is a Canadian release; it seems that the only extra content is anyway a manual in French; BUT as Oobgarm said, a pic would be nice since he never saw a SLUS number with a "F"; and the guy is much more knowledgeable than I am.

5.THANKS A LOT for the additional Digimon World picture! I think it is safe now to correct the entry; with the P - slus number and the Digimon series it was very likely that indeed a version w/o the card existed; but I'm very careful to add entries so we can be all assured that it is a reliable list. With the pic from Gamefaqs and your pic now we can be pretty sure that the version w/o the card exists.

Correction in the list "regular cases with extra content:"

05) Digimon World 4. Available in a standard version and in an edition with a card of the Digimon ‘Dorumon’ in clear plastic wrapping. The front covers of the two versions are identical. The edition with extra content has on the back cover “Includes Exclusive Limited Edition Trading Card,” and the SLUS number has an additional ‘P’ at the end. (SLUS 20836P)

lendelin
01-31-2008, 01:28 PM
Another question that puzzles my mind.

For the anybody that opened there copy of hack//G.U. Vol. 1//Rebirth. Special Edition, the so called "Terminal Disc", is that a actual ps2 disc, that got a scus, or slus number? Or just some dvd? I really don't know, and would like to know this please.:?

It has the SLUS number 21480 in the lower left corner of the front cover. Mine is still sealed, but I guess it is a DVD which can be played on every DVD player.

lendelin
01-31-2008, 01:51 PM
This is a promo mock-up version that Working Designs made, but wasn't used for the game's release. I remember seeing Vic Ireland (either it's him or some other former WD employee) selling it with explanation in an ebay listing.
*edit*I found a finished listing for one here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140193250669

eternalblue81, thanks for the clarification about the cover variation of Growlanser Generations. This cover is indeed tempting, would be nice to have it.

bcks007
01-31-2008, 01:52 PM
It has the SLUS number 21480 in the lower left corner of the front cover. Mine is still sealed, but I guess it is a DVD which can be played on every DVD player.

:cheers: Awesome, now i really want it since its a official disc. Slus 21480 wasn't taken by another game on sony index, and for some reason they forgot to even list it. :) Makes me wonder how many others they've missed for ntsc ps2 games. Thats the 3rd "new", but not really, disc they've forgot to list.

In case you don't know about it, its here.
http://www.sonyindex.com/index.htm

Any chance i can see a pic of the slus 21480? Is the entire case sealed?, or just the terminal disc? If its the case is sealed,can you get a picture of where it says the slus. But if it the terminal disc is the only thing sealed, and it has a disc sleeve or something cool around it, with the slus on it, i would love to see that, please.....

lendelin
01-31-2008, 02:22 PM
:cheers: Awesome, now i really want it since its a official disc. Slus 21480 wasn't taken by another game on sony index, and for some reason they forgot to even list it. :) Makes me wonder how many others they've missed for ntsc ps2 games. Thats the 3rd "new", but not really, disc they've forgot to list.

In case you don't know about it, its here.
http://www.sonyindex.com/index.htm

Any chance i can see a pic of the slus 21480? Is the entire case sealed?, or just the terminal disc? If its the case is sealed,can you get a picture of where it says the slus. But if it the terminal disc is the only thing sealed, and it has a disc sleeve or something cool around it, with the slus on it, i would love to see that, please.....

Thanks a lot for the link to the site, I didn't know about it. This is very helpful indeed!!

Here are pics from the Terminal Disc, still had scans of it since I sold three sets on ebay awhile back.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u104/lendelin/DOTHACKInsertFINAL.jpg

bcks007
02-02-2008, 06:27 AM
Nice Pics, btw that picture i linked for Digimon World 4, the without the card version, i managed to win that copy on ebay today. :) So in a few days, i can confirm its slus and pdss, and all that good stuff. :2gunfire:

esquire
02-05-2008, 08:17 PM

For the sake of consistency, collecting aspects, and for the non-completionists who still want to make sure that they have everything included in the original release, I added entries to the category 'Regular cases With Extra Content.'

If you have information about different versions of the following games (that means standard releases without the 'extra' content), please let us know. Also please shout, scream, and trample with your feet if you know about other games which came with extra content in regular cases.

07) Duel Masters. Sold only in this edition with extra content. Includes a pack of ten cards in gold wrapping.

I picked up Duel Masters today new for $4.99 at Best Buy. It does not say Limited Edition on the front or the back, nor is the Booster Pack included as with the Limited Edition. SLUS 20924

lendelin
02-05-2008, 10:04 PM
I picked up Duel Masters today new for $4.99 at Best Buy. It does not say Limited Edition on the front or the back, nor is the Booster Pack included as with the Limited Edition. SLUS 20924

Thanks a lot for paying such close attention! These kind of contributions (like the ones from bcks007, eternalblue and many others) make the list better and reliable! (Thinking about it, slowly I found this list impressive myself thanks to all the corrections and informations we got.) :)

Correction:

07) Duel Masters. Available in a standard edition and in a limited edition with a pack of ten cards in gold wrapping. The version with extra content has “Limited Edition” and “Free Booster Pack Inside!” on the front cover. The SLUS number (20924) is the same for both versions.

There we have a premium edition w/o the additional P in the SLUS number.

I have seen so many times Duel Masters very cheap but never paid attention to the two versions until I added the cases with extra content to the list. I guess it is time to grab this version as well. At least it is one of the cheapest RPGs around together with Suikoden Tactics and one of the Arc the Lads.

bcks007
02-06-2008, 05:55 PM

Awesome, is there any way you could get us a pic of the box front, and back, and disc?
Can you let us know the upc for it? Maybe its different then the upc for limited edition version, will make it easier to track down if it is. :-D
Can you check your disc for the pdss on the rim?(6 digits) I wanna compare it to the limited edition version of the disc.

I checked ebay last night for any copys of the normal version that you got, but couldn't find any, there was a lot of stock photos though, so it could be there, just not visible.

This still doesn't explain where i got that extra cd from.:hmm:

esquire
02-13-2008, 09:14 PM
Here's another possible add, "Swashbucklers: Blue vs. Grey"

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/838/838459p1.html

Categorized as an action adventure RPG. The premise looks good, but the reviews are not.

bcks007
02-14-2008, 03:04 AM
Got my copy in today, i can confirm its, Digimon World 4: SLUS 20836 (the no card version) Just need the other now.....

Anybody got a pic of the newly found Duel Masters variant?:band:=to make noise so someone actually answers this question, possibly the person who made this claim......:snipersmile:

bcks007
02-19-2008, 06:00 AM
Time for some new info. :rocker:

I just found out about this site, http://www.rfgeneration.com/
So i checked its Canada section hoping to find info on Fullmetal Alchemist and the Broken Angel the Canada version, but didn't find anything usefull, until i saw this. 8-)

The Canadian version of Front Mission 4.
http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/getinfo.pl?ID=U-072-S-06541-A
The disc pic,
http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/games/U-072/gs/U-072-S-06541-A.jpg

Normal usa version,
http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/getinfo.pl?ID=U-072-S-06540-A

If you notice the Part #: SLUS-20888-F, and different artwork, mainly French words. Different UPC also then the usa version.

So i hope people believe me about the Fullmetal Alchemist and the Broken Angel version now.

Also there seems to be 2099 total results for Canada ps2 games, and 2094 total results for usa ps2 games. So Canada has at least 5 other different releases that the usa didn't get, and 6 when you count Fullmetal Alchemist and the Broken Angel.
Its gonna take awhile to search through all the lists to find the French games and what the other 4 released Canada games are. If anybody has some spare time to do that, please post those 4 Canada only games here, please.:sob:

lendelin, so will you add Fullmetal Alchemist and the Broken Angel, and Front Mission 4 to the variants section now?:cheers:

bcks007
02-19-2008, 06:13 AM
Here is a tad more info then esquire provided for Duel Masters.
Duel Masters,
http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/getinfo.pl?ID=U-072-S-10690-A
Sadly no pics of it.

Duel Masters [Limited Edition], in case you want to compare numbers.
http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/getinfo.pl?ID=U-072-S-11150-A

lendelin can you ask esquire, to post a picture of this? He doesn't seem to respond to anything i ask him about this game.:grrr:

bcks007
02-19-2008, 06:58 AM
Final Fantasy X-2 got a Canada release.

usa version,
http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/getinfo.pl?ID=U-072-S-03930-A

canada version, SLUS-20672-F
http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/getinfo.pl?ID=U-072-S-03931-A

disc,
http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/games/U-072/gs/U-072-S-03931-A.jpg

And so did Final Fantasy X, wtf surprise.

usa version,
http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/getinfo.pl?ID=U-072-S-03920-A

canada version, SLUS-20312-F
http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/getinfo.pl?ID=U-072-S-03921-A

The disc for some reason doesn't have the -F on it, or it could be a wrong link, but here is a back cover pic, that clearly shows its french. It could also not have a -F because they hadn't decided to do that on canada games yet, its cleary different then other canada variants.
http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/games/U-072/bb/U-072-S-03921-A.jpg

:devilish:

Star Trek: Conquest, is also another Canada released game, its not a rpg, i know, just thought i would share the knowledge. :)
http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/getinfo.pl?ID=U-072-S-16141-A

Twisted Metal Head-On: Extra Twisted Edition, also appears to have a canada version. Never seen the usa pic of the case, so im not 100% sure on this one.
http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/getinfo.pl?ID=U-072-S-16311-A

esquire
02-22-2008, 09:41 PM
Lendelin: I saw your other thread regarding your complete collection. I almost there myself, but I am not going to be collecting duplicates such as regular edition and a limited edition, just the LE.

Anyways, when I saw your pics, I noticed something strnage about your "Stella Deus" Artwork. It is completely different than mine, and I don't believe I've ever seen yours. Your artwork of course has 1 character on the cover with the title in the middle. Mine has 7 characters surrounding each other with the title at the top. I've only seen it this way before. Did you buy yours online, perhaps from an overseas seller or from Canada.

BTW, mine has a SLUS 21132 designation.

Here's what mine looks like:

http://i9.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/c9/73/22c9_1.JPG

FYI, if you want my standard edition Duel Masters, let me know as I bought a LE version brand new on ebay. I also have the standard version of Digimon World 4, w/o the card, but I am going to hold onto that until I can find the one with the card. But that can be yours too if you are interested down the road.

BCKS007: I haven't responded as I have been real busy at work and the last thing I have is time to take a picture (my camera is crappy), upload it and post it here. If I have time this weekend, I'll try to do it along with my Stella Deus.

MYSTERY SOLVED: The artwork of Stella Deus can be inverted/reveresed. Lendelin's version must have been bought used and the prior owner reversed thee artwork.

lendelin
02-22-2008, 11:18 PM
Final Fantasy X-2 got a Canada release.

usa version,
http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/getinfo.pl?ID=U-072-S-03930-A

canada version, SLUS-20672-F
http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/getinfo.pl?ID=U-072-S-03931-A

disc,
http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/games/U-072/gs/U-072-S-03931-A.jpg

And so did Final Fantasy X, wtf surprise.

usa version,
http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/getinfo.pl?ID=U-072-S-03920-A

canada version, SLUS-20312-F
http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/getinfo.pl?ID=U-072-S-03921-A

The disc for some reason doesn't have the -F on it, or it could be a wrong link, but here is a back cover pic, that clearly shows its french. It could also not have a -F because they hadn't decided to do that on canada games yet, its cleary different then other canada variants.
http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/games/U-072/bb/U-072-S-03921-A.jpg

:devilish:

Star Trek: Conquest, is also another Canada released game, its not a rpg, i know, just thought i would share the knowledge. :)
http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/getinfo.pl?ID=U-072-S-16141-A

Twisted Metal Head-On: Extra Twisted Edition, also appears to have a canada version. Never seen the usa pic of the case, so im not 100% sure on this one.
http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/getinfo.pl?ID=U-072-S-16311-A

Thanks for all the work you invested and let us know these interesting variants. However, the list covers only AMERICAN RELEASES, therefore They shouldn't be included in the list from page 1.

However, I'm very sure Oobgarm and many others are very interested. In a post in this thread you you could make a complete list like the original one, and you could periodically update it.

I still haven't found Xenosaga 3 with the BB lenticular card, one day we will and can confirm it. :)

lendelin
02-22-2008, 11:23 PM
FYI, if you want my standard edition Duel Masters, let me know as I bought a LE version brand new on ebay. I also have the standard version of Digimon World 4, w/o the card, but I am going to hold onto that until I can find the one with the card. But that can be yours too if you are interested down the road.

Thanks so much for the offer. I really appreciate it. I'm certainly interested. Could you send me a PM, and then we can make the deal?

esquire
02-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Here's another possible add, "Swashbucklers: Blue vs. Grey"

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/838/838459p1.html

Categorized as an action adventure RPG. The premise looks good, but the reviews are not.

Lendelin: See above. You never responded. I think you are short one game on the list - Swashbuckers - Blue vs. Grey.

lendelin
02-23-2008, 09:54 PM
Lendelin: See above. You never responded. I think you are short one game on the list - Swashbuckers - Blue vs. Grey.

Sorry for the delayed response. I remember looking the game up when you posted about it.

Dang, that is really a tough call. I read the review carefully, but are there enough RPG elements in there? Might be indeed a game for the borderline category. Maybe someone who has played it can shed light on this?

I keep the game in mind for the list and made a note.

In any case, THANKS for the info. I completely overlooked the game, and I'll buy it for sure despite its bad review grades. Unusual stuff like we get sometimes for a console at the end of its life.

hush
02-24-2008, 04:44 AM
this is a fantastic list i have something to work off im just glad some of these titles made it to the land downunder
keep up the good work

bcks007
02-26-2008, 02:24 AM
Is any of the Naruto: Ultimate Ninja 1-3 rpgs? I've never played any of them, i doubt they are. They look more like fighting games.

But the Naruto: Uzumaki Chronicles and Naruto: Uzumaki Chronicles 2, kinda look like rpgs. Someone who's played them or looked into them more, should deiced. It has hit points, but other then that, i know nothing about it.

Now for a rpg, everyone has over looked, that came out this month!!, I think its still a rpg, unless the formula of this game has changed for its 3rd ps2 game.

Innocent Life: A Futuristic Harvest Moon (Special Edition)
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/image/937373.html

Persona 3: FES also got announced today, i wonder if there will be 2 version of FES, like in japan. Anybody know??

fuchikoma
02-26-2008, 05:18 PM
i wonder if there will be 2 version of FES, like in japan. Anybody know??

Nope, just one. No limited edition either.

lendelin
02-27-2008, 11:01 PM
Is any of the Naruto: Ultimate Ninja 1-3 rpgs? I've never played any of them, i doubt they are. They look more like fighting games.

But the Naruto: Uzumaki Chronicles and Naruto: Uzumaki Chronicles 2, kinda look like rpgs. Someone who's played them or looked into them more, should deiced. It has hit points, but other then that, i know nothing about it.

Nah, the Uzemaki Chronicles seem to have even a bit less of RPG elements to them than other action games with slight RPG elements to give them more flavor. If we'd include them all the games in the Onimusha and Devil May Cry series have to be included as well. (but again, there is character growth, buying skill possibilities, and attributable skills, which shows again how often gameplay elements are used traditionally attributed to RPGs)

Now for a rpg, everyone has over looked, that came out this month!!, I think its still a rpg, unless the formula of this game has changed for its 3rd ps2 game.

Innocent Life: A Futuristic Harvest Moon (Special Edition)
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/image/937373.html

Thanks so much for the heads up. I overlooked it completely. I'll add it. Together with the upcoming four releases I think posting my pics was pre-mature. :)

Innocent Life: A Futuristic Harvest Moon. Special Edition.* Natsume, Natsume, 2/12/08.

Just a quick informative summary about upcoming releases:

Baroque.* Sting, Atlus, 3/18/08.
Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis. Gust, NIS America, 3/18/08.
Chaos Wars.* Idea Factory, 0-3 Entertainment, 3/18/08.
Persona 3 Fes.* Atlus, Atlus, 4/22/08.

I'll be on the lokout for published guides for these games.

Persona 3: FES also got announced today, i wonder if there will be 2 version of FES, like in japan. Anybody know??

So far I know there will be only one, the last Japanese one. Atlus announced recently that it will be a double disc release (the original Persona 3 and Fes). Good news about the price: MSRP $29.99.

lendelin
02-28-2008, 10:49 AM
Just a heads up:

METAL SAGA and STEAMBOT CHRONICLES are $14.99 (new) at GS/EBGames,
not online, b&m only.

Not as good as the TRUS sale a year and a half ago go when both games were $9.99, but still a good deal.

Trebuken
02-28-2008, 02:39 PM
Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis.* Gust, NIS America, 3/18/08.

Why do these all have the same release day? Isn't that odd? Is it odd also that we are not hearing about any releases later in the year?

Aussie2B
02-28-2008, 02:52 PM
Chaos Wars hasn't even been officially announced by O~3 Entertainment yet, so that date is just what GameStop is pulling out of their ass. They've been doing that for a long time and just delaying it over and over as necessary. While it may ship on the 18th, I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets canned altogether, but I'm hoping it won't.

Where did that date for Mana Khemia come from? o_O GameStop says the 31st, and NIS America is saying late March.

bcks007
02-29-2008, 06:31 AM
Thought i would mention i found 2 more Canada releases. 1 is a rpg, the other is not. Just wanted the Canada rpg list to be more complete.

Samurai Legend Musashi (not sure why its not called, Musashi: Samurai Legend)

http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/getinfo.pl?ID=U-072-S-07941-A

Plus this not rpg, Lego Star Wars.

http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/getinfo.pl?ID=U-072-S-06821-A

bcks007
02-29-2008, 09:39 PM
Just a quick informative summary about upcoming releases:

Persona 3 Fes.* Atlus, Atlus, 4/22/08.

I'll be on the lokout for published guides for these games.

http://rosenqueen.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=230

lendelin
03-01-2008, 12:34 PM
http://rosenqueen.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=230

I removed the asterisk from the Mana Khemia title.

I pre-ordered the special collector's box for the game from Rosenqueen, but forgot about the guide from Doublejump. THANKS!

lendelin
03-01-2008, 12:39 PM

Why do these all have the same release day? Isn't that odd?

The release dates have to be taken with a grain of salt. Baroque is scheduled for mid-March, Mana Khemia's release dates range from mid-March to the end of March according to different sources (NIS says late March), and with Chaos Wars we have to wait and see. Could be mid March, could be one or two months later, could be that it won't be released. Persona 3 Fes is scheduled for the second half in April.

The release dates for these games aren't hammered in stone. These titles aren't exactly Halo 3 for which release dates for the publisher are very important because gamers will stand in line to get them on release day.

The exact dates are just for me to be on top of things for the list.

Is it odd also that we are not hearing about any releases later in the year?

You never know, but I guess this might be the last wave of RPGs for the PS2. We might get one or two more later this year.

lendelin
03-08-2008, 08:26 PM
To announce an addition to the list of Deluxe Sets:

I added pictures for the deluxe packages and cardboard boxes with their various special items. The highlighted link to the pictures for each game is after the text for the title in the list "Deluxe packages and Cardboard Boxes with Extra Content."

The pictures aren't intended to archive the contents of the games with downloadable 2MB high quality scans for each item; rather, I put several pictures in one big picture so we have an easy visual overview of the box covers, game covers, and in particular the various contents of the deluxe sets.

Nevertheless, I think the pictures have a very good quality and provide an instant and better overview about the deluxe packages than the text. They are intended as a companion to the descriptions.

I thought pictures might be helpful to make sure everything is in collector's packages if bought used. This goes in particular for the Dot hack package and the two Growlansers, but for the others as well.

If some of you (like me) bought in retrospect the PS1 Alundra and Lunar pakages used, you know what I'm talking about. :) Besides, they are just nice to look at.

The vast majority of the pictures are scans from me. Because some of my games are sealed, I downloaded pictures for Persona 3 (from RPG Fan or RPG Gamer) and Digital Devil Saga for some of the inserts since I could only scan the outer boxes. I used only pictures with very good quality.

Hope you find the addition helpful and enjoyable.

lendelin
03-09-2008, 09:28 PM

While putting pics up for the Deluxe Sets I remembered this question posted ONE YEAR ago which I couldn't answer becasue I didn't want to open my copy (Was it already one year ago?)

carlcarlson, you were absolutely right. The paper sleeve was indeed the placeholder for Digital Devil Saga 2 in the Collector's Box advertising the game.

Since my copy is still sealed I couldn't make scans, but I came across good quality scans on the web and remebered your question. I added the scans of the front cover (DDS 2) and back cover (Stella Deus) in a second picture link.

BTW, I had no idea how much the price went up for a sealed copy of the box. Last time I checked (some time ago) it was around $80, and now it goes from $130 to $150.

I'm glad I didn't open it, and I'm glad I got it for ten dollars 3 years ago. I want to play Nocturne first anyway.

lendelin
03-09-2008, 10:02 PM
...the so called "Terminal Disc", is that a actual ps2 disc, that got a scus, or slus number? Or just some dvd? I really don't know, and would like to know this please.:?

In the process of putting the scans up for the pictures of the special edition sets, I read on the back cover of the box that the disc is indeed a "Playstation 2 system exclusive disc." I guess I should read the covers of the box sets once in awhile. :) That's probably the reason it got a SLUS number. I'm glad that I remembered your question from some time ago.

bcks007, I put for Growlanser Generations the soundtrack CD variants you provided on a pic and linked to it. (links are in the list for the Deluxe Sets) I put also on the same picture a game cover variant, and some pictures of pre-order goodies WD gave out if the box set was directly ordered from them.

Unfortunately, I forgot one game cover variant. While loking for your old post, I came across the rare cover you and eternalblue81 mentioned. I'll put the pic up and link to it as well.

The rare cover variant wasn't used in the deluxe set. But it would be interesting to know if the third variant pictured ("Pictures2" - link in the list) was used in the deluxe set or if it was only sold as a stand-alone game.

bcks007
03-10-2008, 03:39 AM
Hmm, i don't quite understand. Where did the pictures from your Pictures2 link come from? I don't think I've ever seen them.

Did you get your Duel Masters. Limited Edition yet?
I've not found a copy on ebay, and im dieing to see what it looks like, and know its upc, so i can ask other sellers who are using stock photos for it.

lendelin
03-11-2008, 03:10 AM
Hmm, i don't quite understand. Where did the pictures from your Pictures2 link come from? I don't think I've ever seen them.

Did you get your Duel Masters. Limited Edition yet?
I've not found a copy on ebay, and im dieing to see what it looks like, and know its upc, so i can ask other sellers who are using stock photos for it.

I have the Cover variant form Mobygames. The link is

http://www.mobygames.com/game/ps2/growlanser-generations-deluxe-edition/cover-art

I've never seen it either. It is either very rare, or in the end just from a promo advertising or maybe GG has a dual-sided cover like Magna Carta and Stella Deus? My copy is still sealed, so if you or someone else has an opened copy and could check would be great. Maybe it was pre-mature to picture it as a cover variant.

I have the Dual Masters Limited Edition (opened), I'm missing the regular version. If you need information about the Limited Edition let me know.

Wraith Storm
03-11-2008, 07:03 AM
I just checked my copy of Growlanser Generations and yes it does have a reversible cover with that picture. The picture is also the cover of the instuction booklet as well.

I didn't notice Xenosaga III listed as having variations. However, it does have a cover variation that I saw at Best Buy upon its release. It's the same cover art as every other copy but it was one of those "poor mans holograms". I don't know what they are actually called but its one of those "bumpy" or "ridged" surfaces and as you turn it side to side the image shifts or changes.

lendelin
03-11-2008, 07:58 AM
I just checked my copy of Growlanser Generations and yes it does have a reversible cover with that picture. The picture is also the cover of the instuction booklet as well.

Thanks so much for clearing that up! I corrected the description of the pic. To declare this a variant was certainly premature. :)

I didn't notice Xenosaga III listed as having variations. However, it does have a cover variation that I saw at Best Buy upon its release. It's the same cover art as every other copy but it was one of those "poor mans holograms". I don't know what they are actually called but its one of those "bumpy" or "ridged" surfaces and as you turn it side to side the image shifts or changes.

We discussed that in the thread, I believe it exists, but to put it officially in the list of regular cases with extra content I'd like to verify it with a pic. (see above)

I made a note of it, ready to go

15) Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sprach Zarathustra. Available in a standard version and in an edition with a special front cover exclusively distributed by the retailer Best Buy. The lenticular card is a removable insert on top of the regular cover and has the character T-Elos pictured.

I asked at a local Best Buy, but the game cannot be ordered anymore. If any of you has this version with the lenticular card, please let us know with a pic.

bcks007
03-11-2008, 08:01 AM
I have the Cover variant form Mobygames. The link is

http://www.mobygames.com/game/ps2/growlanser-generations-deluxe-edition/cover-art

I've never seen it either. It is either very rare, or in the end just from a promo advertising or maybe GG has a dual-sided cover like Magna Carta and Stella Deus? My copy is still sealed, so if you or someone else has an opened copy and could check would be great. Maybe it was pre-mature to picture it as a cover variant.

I have the Dual Masters Limited Edition (opened), I'm missing the regular version. If you need information about the Limited Edition let me know.

For Duel Masters, i thought you made a deal to get the newly found version? I have the common limited edition already, i want to see the uncommon one.

lendelin
03-11-2008, 08:17 AM
For Duel Masters, i thought you made a deal to get the newly found version? I have the common limited edition already, i want to see the uncommon one.

Sorry, I misunderstood.

Nah, still haven't made the deal for the standard Duel Masters, I was so incredibly busy last week. But I sent a pm, so I hope the deal will take place and I'll get it soon.

debian4life
03-13-2008, 02:18 AM
wow...you really did your homework. Great listing and very informative.

jupitersj
03-13-2008, 06:53 PM
Thanks for all the work you invested and let us know these interesting variants. However, the list covers only AMERICAN RELEASES, therefore They shouldn't be included in the list from page 1.

However, I'm very sure Oobgarm and many others are very interested. In a post in this thread you you could make a complete list like the original one, and you could periodically update it.

I still haven't found Xenosaga 3 with the BB lenticular card, one day we will and can confirm it. :)

When Xenosaga 3 came out I picked it up at multiple stores so I could get the telos artbook plus the BB lenticular card cover. I don't have a gamecrazy near me so I couldn't get the poster however. If you need a picture of the BB Lenticular cover let me know; I can provide that for you.

lendelin
03-14-2008, 01:07 AM
When Xenosaga 3 came out I picked it up at multiple stores so I could get the telos artbook plus the BB lenticular card cover. I don't have a gamecrazy near me so I couldn't get the poster however. If you need a picture of the BB Lenticular cover let me know; I can provide that for you.

GREAT! Thanks so much!! You could post a pic in this thread. If you can't, let me know and I'll give you my email address in a pm.

lendelin
03-14-2008, 05:55 PM
For those of you who are interested in downloading the pics for the deluxe sets: I added and changed some of the pics.

bcks007
03-15-2008, 02:50 AM
I finally found a pic and auction for it. Its out of my price range at the moment, so snatch it up. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Xenosaga-Episode-III-PS2-New-Rare-Horogram-Cover_W0QQitemZ220208360177QQihZ012QQcategoryZ6205 3QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

jupitersj
03-15-2008, 12:50 PM
I'll post in and out front and back pics later tonight or tomorrow as I have to head to work in a few.. sorry i didn't earlier i forgot XD

lendelin
03-15-2008, 01:36 PM
I finally found a pic and auction for it. Its out of my price range at the moment, so snatch it up. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Xenosaga-Episode-III-PS2-New-Rare-Horogram-Cover_W0QQitemZ220208360177QQihZ012QQcategoryZ6205 3QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Thanks again for the link! With these pics and now three different sources it is safe to put the game in the list of regular cases with extra content.

Added:

16) Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sprach Zarathustra. Available in a standard version and in an edition with a lenticular cover exclusively distributed by the retailer Best Buy. The lenticular cover is a removable insert on top of the regular cover and has the character T-Elos pictured.

I'm sure I will go after it for $99. It's a bargain. :)

The prices for other games this guy has listed are borderline criminal. That's not just chuzpe anymore. $99 for GRAN TURISMO 4??? $99 for Star Ocean and Digital Devil Saga 2???...and Final Fantasy X-2 still in bargain bins for $10 is certainly a deal for $50. Holy schmoly!

lendelin
03-15-2008, 01:38 PM
I'll post in and out front and back pics later tonight or tomorrow as I have to head to work in a few.. sorry i didn't earlier i forgot XD

Thanks, not necessary anymore for verification, BUT it would be great to have good quality pics of the cover!

bcks007
03-17-2008, 01:55 AM
lendelin did you buy that copy on ebay? I would have gladly bought it if i had $100 to spend.

oremites
03-17-2008, 07:41 PM
Great list. I know making a public RPG list is difficult because everyone has a slightly different definition of what an RPG is, but this is the best list I've seen.

If you're including Warriors of Might and Magic in the borderline category (I would include it with the RPG's, but I understand why I'm in the minority on this one), you should probably include Shifters as well. It's a sequel of sorts to Warriors, and has basically the same gameplay.

Daria
03-17-2008, 08:09 PM
Yet another new RPG:

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=281838

http://www.legendra.com/media/covers/play2/chaos_wars_japon.jpg

carlcarlson
03-17-2008, 09:01 PM
hmm... another srpg? It seems those really increased in popularity in the ps2 era.

lendelin
03-17-2008, 09:11 PM
lendelin did you buy that copy on ebay? I would have gladly bought it if i had $100 to spend.

Are you kidding me? :) This price is absolutely wacko.

Let's put it diplomatically: I wouldn't pay $100 for Suikoden II not to mention Xenosaga 3 with a card on top of the cover. I'm a cheapskate, I have to be because I want too many games.

I'm patient, one day I'll get the little thing for sure for MUCH less!! :)

lendelin
03-17-2008, 09:13 PM
hmm... another srpg? It seems those really increased in popularity in the ps2 era.

With the success of Disgaea and Phantom Brave we have so many SRPGs for the PS2 like there is on no other console. I think they are around 15.

lendelin
03-17-2008, 09:17 PM
Yet another new RPG:

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=281838

http://www.legendra.com/media/covers/play2/chaos_wars_japon.jpg

Seems indeed it will get a release. Strange is that the publisher O3Entertainment hasn't the game mentioned on its website. LINK (http://www.o3ent.com/)

Baroque got pushed back awhile ago to April.

lendelin
03-17-2008, 09:37 PM
Great list. I know making a public RPG list is difficult because everyone has a slightly different definition of what an RPG is, but this is the best list I've seen.

Thanks, glad you find it helpful. We tried to be as inclusionary as possible.

If you are interested in a discussion about RPGs:

THIS (http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113388) is a bragging-rights thread but developed into a discussion about the definition of a RPG.

However, THIS (http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113452) is the appropriate thread started by Daria where you could post about your own essential categories of a RPG.

If you're including Warriors of Might and Magic in the borderline category (I would include it with the RPG's, but I understand why I'm in the minority on this one), you should probably include Shifters as well. It's a sequel of sorts to Warriors, and has basically the same gameplay.

Thanks for the proposal, I appreciate it. You are on to something here, I overlooked Shifters completely. Although it seems to have less RPG elements (more linearity) than Warriors of Might and Magic and goes into the direction of a straight hack-n-slash dungeon crawler, it should be probably included in the borderline category because of its strong RPG background.

lendelin
03-17-2008, 09:44 PM
I thought about putting more games in the borderline category thanks to proposals in this thread and other threads.

Gimme your thoughts if they should be included.

Deus Ex: The Conspiracy
Everblue 2 (that's my dangerous proposal :) )
Fallout Brotherhood of Steel
Shadow of the Colossus
Shifters
Swashbucklers: Blue vs. Grey

oremites
03-18-2008, 06:34 AM
Fallout - same category as Baldur's Gate/Champions
Shadow of the Colossus - not an RPG
Shifters - same category as Warriors of Might and Magic
Swashbucklers - borderline - I got this game solely on the fact that it uses the perk system ripped off from (or as an homage to) the Fallout PC games. I love the Fallout games.

bcks007
03-18-2008, 07:13 AM
I've never played shifters, so i have no idea on that one.

Deus Ex: The Conspiracy no
Everblue 2 (that's my dangerous proposal ) Tough call, if this is in, then SofC would be in i think. So no....
Fallout Brotherhood of Steel add to rpg list, yes
Shadow of the Colossus no
Shifters borderline i guess(not played)
Swashbucklers: Blue vs. Grey borderline

Overbite
03-18-2008, 03:36 PM
the fancy Xenosaga 3 cover is rare? I had 1 and 2 all bought when I went to Best Buy months ago and wasn't sure if I wanted to buy 3 because it was still $40 but it had a fancy cover so I bought it. It was so shiny :(

oremites
03-19-2008, 11:45 AM
I don't know if this counts, but there is the Sega Genesis Collection that has the Phantasy Star games. Sure they're ports from an older system, but so was Grandia II.

lendelin
03-19-2008, 07:24 PM
I don't know if this counts, but there is the Sega Genesis Collection that has the Phantasy Star games. Sure they're ports from an older system, but so was Grandia II.

You know, if someone makes a simple but great suggestion one didn't even consider, one feels dumb. I'm this 'one.'

oremites, you are absolutely right, thanks so much!! I'm glad you came over from cheapassgamer! :) Though it is a compilation disc with older RPGs, nevertheless it is a release for the PS2 with four full fledged RPGs and has to be included.

I added to the regular list

Sega Genesis Collection.* Backbone Entertainment, Sega, 11/7/06.

and since the compilations discs are something special I created this list with further information

Compilations with Role Playing Games

01) Sega Genesis Collection. Backbone Entertainment, Sega, 11/7/06. Among the 28 games are four classic role playing games originally released for the Genesis. Phantasy Star II from 1989, Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom from 1990, Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Milenium from 1994, and Sword of Vermilion from 1990.

Thanks again, guy! Much appreciated.

To all: I looked through the following compilation discs but didn't discover RPGs besides the ones on the Sega Genesis Collection disc. Since my pre-NES knowledge is there but limited, and I might have overlooked titles, please check if there are other RPGs on following collections:

Atari Anthology
Intellivision Lives!
Activision Anthology
Namco Museum
Taito Legends
Taito Legends 2
Midway Arcade Treasures
Midway Arcade Treasures 2
Midway Arcade Treasures 3
Capcom Classics Collection
Capcom Classics Collection Vol. 2
Sega Classics Collection
Sega Genesis Collection

lendelin
03-19-2008, 07:57 PM

Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel. Interplay, Interplay, 1/14/04.

Added to the borderline list:

Deus Ex: The Conspiracy. Ion Storm, Eidos Interactive, 3/26/02.
Shifters.* 3DO, 3DO, 6/17/02.
Swashbucklers: Blue Vs. Grey.* Akella, 1C Company/Atari, 11/20/07.

Although vaportransmitter suggested a couple of months ago to include FALLOUT in the regular list, I had my concerns; but in the meantime I think that the game is so similar to Baldur's Gate series and Champions series that it has to be included despite less emphasized RPG elements to the aforementioned games. The attributable character skills, upgrading, and story makes it a RPG to such an extent that it should be included for the sake of consistency.

DEUS EX is certainly a hybrid game and as such very special, but the
attributable character skills, the upgrading, and the keyrole of the storyline and items justifies the inclusion in the borderline category.

SHIFTERS is certainly a very very tough call as was Warriors of Might and Magic, but becasue of its strong RPG background and the sake of consistency (the Warriors already included) I added it as borderline.

SWASHBUCKLERS has just enough adventure/RPG elements (exploration, world map, item collection and a barter system, to use Daria's term) to justify the inclusion in the borderline list. To be as inclusionary as possible if in serious doubt took over the consistency principle again which is certainly appropriate for the borderline category.

My proposal of Everblue 2 lost pretty clearly against my advocatus diaboli. It was tempting to consider it because of the extensive barter system, item collecting, and the immense exploration factor....and because it is just such a great game! :)

In all these decisions the elusive "feeling" based on existing RPG elements was decisive, that means the degree of RPG elements in these games which isn't quantifiable and doesn't follow strict categories of the definition of a RPG.

lendelin
03-27-2008, 08:00 PM
Just a heads up:

Circuit City has Odin Sphere and Dawn of Mana on clearance for $16.96.

Not as good as $8.96, but not bad at all.

bcks007
03-28-2008, 04:16 AM
Can you get those prices online for those 2 games? (I need mana)

Drag0nsfyre
03-28-2008, 07:40 AM

Glad I picked up the copy I saw yesterday at Blockbuster for $14. :)
former rental but it had the manual & original case an easily removed price tag and nothing on either disc. so it was more like a nice used copy.
Now I just need to go pick up ep. I & II if I find them since I never did earlier.

bcks007
03-28-2008, 09:37 AM
Did you get the lenticular cover of Xenosaga Episode III? Not to be mistaken with the normal copy of XE3.