PDA

View Full Version : Removing Super Glue from plastic?

Toefur
02-28-2003, 10:40 PM
I ordered a new 72 pin connector for my NES to replace the bad one that it currently has. I started to take it apart tonight and have found that someone has super glued (or maybe used model cement) the black cartridge bracket down. I'm thinking that the previous owner may have replaced the 72 pin connector especially since all the screws on the shielding were missing. Anyway I can't remove the black plastic cartridge bracket now becuase of this. Does anyone know of a safe way to remove or disolve the super glue with out destroying anything else in the process?

jonjandran
03-01-2003, 07:04 AM
I'm pretty sure they sell a super glue remover at hardware stores.
Like Lowes or maybe it was Auto Parts Stores?
My wife says varnish stripper would work but I don't know if that would hurt the motherboard.

bargora
03-02-2003, 04:59 PM
I believe that acetone dissolves "super glue" (cyanoacrylate) adhesives.

Whether acetone dissolves mother boards and such, I don't know.

CrazyImpmon
03-02-2003, 06:02 PM
Acetone- better get clothpin for your nose. Only 2 things worse than acetone: grinding fresh horseradishes and 2 weeks old dead fish left lying in the sun.

bargora
03-02-2003, 06:38 PM
Funny, I don't remember acetone being quite that bad in organic chem lab. We used it to rinse glassware to ensure that there was no water residue clinging to the glass after soap & water washing.

Acetone, BTW, is the main ingredient in many nail polish removers.

Toefur
03-02-2003, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the replies. I might have to try that. Maybe a dab of nail polish remover where the super glue is would loosen it up enough that I could break the seal with doing damage to the bracket or the motherboard?

rbudrick
03-07-2003, 01:22 PM
Yep, that was my Suggestion, acetone/nail polish remover. WOrks better on not-totally-dried-yet glue but will eventually wear through hardened glue. An exacto knife used carfeully in addition to this will help.

-Rob