PDA

View Full Version : Nice Case Mod for Phantom 1 Converter

buttasuperb
03-06-2003, 11:09 PM
Anyone who owns a Phantom 1 converter knows that the one problem with it is that you have to manually line up the connects to put it in the Neo. It's not really a big problem, but it is annoying. Luckily a person by the name of Tiptonium over at neo-geo.com came up with a nice case mod for the Phantom. You can view what he did here.

http://www.neo-geo.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=004209

First things first, you have to get a cheap and common Neo Geo cart that you would be willing to saw almost in half. I used a Fatal Fury Special that I had that was in terrible shape. Not a big loss, I can get another one in much better shape for 30-40 bucks.

Then you have to open it up and take out the boards. Now what makes this mod work and makes doing it much easier is the fact that the Phantom 1 has holes cut in it that perfectly line up with the posts in the empty Neo shell. So I put the Phantom 1 in the bottom of the case, then made marks with a box cutter on each side of the case where I would have to cut. Then I grabbed the hacksaw and cut the top off the bottom part of the Neo case as even as I could.

Then I put the case back together, so I could evenly cut off the top of the other side of the case. This part was much easier to cut, since you could use the already cut half as a guide.

Now the toughest part. You then have to put the phantom face down in the front part of the empty shell and measure where you will have to cut out a space for the audio jacks that the Phantom 1 has. Once again I used a box cutter to make marks on each side of the audio jacks where I would have to cut. Then I kinda estimated how far into the cart I would have to cut. Worked out pretty well. :-D

Then I made sure the hole I cut for the audio jacks lined up correctly with the phantom. After that was done, all I had to do was figure out something to eliminate the jagged edges from where I had cut the case. So I just used some black electrical tape and covered up all the edges. Doesn't look the nicest, but it does the job.

Then just place the Phantom 1 in the back of the case, with the posts lined up, and attach the front of the case, and boom, you got yourself a better looking, much easier to use Phantom-1.

Now all I have to do is make a label for the cart, and make an insert for the case I will put it in.

Here's some pics. (might have to cut and paste the link)

http://www.geocities.com/buttasuperb/phantom1.html

rbudrick
03-07-2003, 02:15 PM
Hi There,

Excuse my Neo ignorance, but what exactly does the converter convert? Japanaese to American? MVS Arcade to Home?

Yours,
Rob

buttasuperb
03-07-2003, 02:59 PM
It lets you play MVS carts on a home system. Saves money in the long run with certain Neo Geo games. :)

beamrider1984
03-13-2003, 08:23 PM
Butta,

I also read what Tiptonium wrote and it got me thinking. Then, after reading what you wrote, it made me think even more.

I should be getting a Phantom 1 here in the next week or so, so I think I will use your post as a guide to make a case for it. I'm not sure if Tip actually went into detail on how to do so, but it seems to be pretty straightforward :-D

I just wish Ray would put them in a case. No offense to him, but for as much as the damn thing costs........

Bill :D

I also forgot to add. Is it easier to use a Home or MVS cart to do the case? Seems that an MVS would be easier due to the cases having screws in them.

buttasuperb
03-17-2003, 04:32 PM
You have to use a homecart for it. The MVS cart will not fit in the home system, which is the reason for the phantom in the first place.

beamrider1984
03-17-2003, 07:06 PM
Butta,

I realized once I posted my reply/question that you meant a Home Cart case. One of those not thinking before posting kind of symptoms. :embarrassed:

Thanks for the post though. I should be getting a Phantom 1 this week sometime from the Neo-Store. Now to find a "victim" to sacrifice for a case....... :-D

ManekiNeko
03-17-2003, 07:42 PM
Hey, Bill! It's good to see you here, man. This is Jess, by the way, in case you didn't know.

JR

beamrider1984
03-19-2003, 07:01 PM
Hey, Bill! It's good to see you here, man. This is Jess, by the way, in case you didn't know.

JR

Heya! :D

Just some Neo chat. Still deciding which Neo cart is to go "under the knife" for my project.