PDA

View Full Version : I'm One of *Them* Now

Ascending Wordsmith
08-05-2002, 08:44 AM
I recently returned from Virginia after visiting some relatives. One of which owns an XBox. I never played one before; even with the displays in various department stores, there were just too many kids around to wait for the system to become free. As luck would have it, I actually got to play an XBox uninterrupted. The games; Halo, Max Payne, Project Gotham Racing, and Crazy Taxi 3. The system is better than I expected in all areas; fluent movements, superior sound, great capabilities (listening to Cheap Trick while playing Project Gotham Racing is great!), and excellent visuals. I used to shy away from Microsoft's creation, but now I want more... and I intend to get it.

With so many people hating the XBox, those who actually like the system get drowned out. Well, I'm one of them now; I think the system, in a lot of respects, is better than the Playstation 2, which leads the market. Yeah, it's big and it's heavy, but who cares? If you don't have the energy to lift an XBox, don't worry about video games. Go grab yourself a Kit Kat bar and a sandwich! The system has more than my respect; it's got a reserved space on the shelf next to my Playstation 2. :D

http://www.musicianshop.com/Images/xbox.jpg

Arcade Antics
08-05-2002, 11:31 AM
How is Crazy Taxi 3? The build they had at E3 had a lot of slowdown and some polygon problems, but I was hoping it was merely a result of an unoptimized demo version.

If they fixed those issues, I need to go buy it :D

GENESISNES
08-05-2002, 12:21 PM
The games; Halo, Max Payne, Project Gotham Racing, and Crazy Taxi 3. The system is better than I expected in all areas

sorry dude, but looks like those are the only good games for xbox. all of the others suck! (with the exception of TJ&E 3 coming out for it. WHY XBOX SEGA???? WHY??!?!?!)and plus, Max Payne is also for PS2![/quote]

jaybird
08-05-2002, 12:54 PM
Of course GENESISNES speaks from experience since he owns an Xbox & has played all the games on it to give his observation.

There are plenty more good games for the Xbox besides those listed. You'll have no problem finding enough games to keep you entertained. Besides, you'll always have your PS2 to fall back on if you do get bored.

As far as Crazi Taxi's slowdown, all I have played is the demo from Xbox magazine, but I've read that it does slow down in the new "Las Vegas" stage.

BHvrd
08-05-2002, 01:21 PM
Man, i'm so happy for you, cause I know how you feel. Xbox really is the best system, and is such a nice change of pace.

There are so many games on Xbox that break out of the "me too" mode that other consoles have been drowning in for years.

If you want hardcore, pulse pounding games that don't say they're sorry for being groundbreaking, then you got the right system.

Also I must say, the Xbox is best enjoyed with a good setup, if you're playing an Xbox on a 19" tv with no stereo then you're missing out on 90% of the experience.

Xbox is meant to be used on a large screen with at least s-video, and dolby digital with kick ass speakers, and a sub is a must. Xbox is worth upgrading your entire home theatre setup, it's da bomb! I get chills when that little girl screams in Hunter: The Reckoning!

Enjoy your box!

buttasuperb
08-05-2002, 01:40 PM
Xbox really is the best system,

is it really?

i dont think it comes close to the following systems.

nes, snes, genesis, saturn, dc, psx, ps2, neo geo.

so that would make it the 9th best system.

really?

Arcade Antics
08-05-2002, 02:13 PM
...and is such a nice change of pace.

There are so many games on Xbox that break out of the "me too" mode that other consoles have been drowning in for years.

Uh, so, you've never owned, played, or otherwise heard of the Dreamcast?

:lol:

Anonymous
08-05-2002, 03:21 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the Xbox became the next dreamcast. It's got plenty of off-the-beaten-path games, sega support, and groundswell of homebrew titles/programs in the works. Once cracked, it's going to be more hacker friendly and more powerful than the DC ever was, and it's already on its way to being more popular than the DC (in the masses eyes) which means more people programming for it.

Even the Controllers are similar heh. Everybody seems to have forgotten how much flak the DC controller got when the DC was first released.

Raedon
08-05-2002, 04:19 PM
The DC controller is actually really good.. I don't care for the XBox controller..

Though this is based on my limited (play at wal-mart for 30 seconds) knowledge..

Ascending Wordsmith
08-05-2002, 04:39 PM
My friends, I'm aware of the other systems some of you have listed, and yes, they are all great. Each has their own wonderful capabilities and excellent game libraries. I'm just stating that the XBox is the newest console on my "Amazing Consoles" list. Being the most powerful console ever produced coupled with a few remakable perks puts it high on my list.

@ Arcade Antics

The game played fine as far as I remember. I didn't make it too far in the game (I suck) to notice anything out of the ordinary. Other than that, the gameplay is superb. Oh yeah, I still love the Dreamcast. I still don't see what went wrong; great games, excellent visuals, etc. but people didn't catch on. Now Sonic lives on a Nintendo console, and it disgusts me! :x

@ BHvrd

Thanks for the tips and the vote of confidence, but I don't own it yet. I gotta set aside some funds (the easy part) and talk to the girlfriend (the treacherous part) before I can set up my ultimate entertainment center. Once I get everything together, the XBox will be added to my other consoles. It all hinges on the little woman! :lol:

@ Butta

You've got a good list there:

nes, snes, genesis, saturn, dc, psx, ps2, neo geo.

I would've left the Neo Geo off however. At $600, I'd rather just find an arcade with SNK cabinets! :wink:

buttasuperb
08-05-2002, 05:50 PM
ok i should put neo geo aes if you can afford it. but its not 600 dollars. i got mine boxed for 300 with 3 games. you can probably find em cheaper than that on ebay once in a while.

Raedon
08-05-2002, 06:45 PM
$200 for a 10 year old Console!! :indeed: Mamma-Pajama!!

lol, Neo-Geo is like cart collecting on crack..

how are you able to afford that Butta? I'm not hurting for money but you add a Neo-Geo into my collection and next thing you know I'd be walking the streets collecting cans, holding up signs.

buttasuperb
08-05-2002, 06:48 PM
youre damn right, a $200 console with the best fighting games on the planet, with still plenty more to come.

for right now i just have a few of the cheaper carts, and KoF 98. anything else i want to play now, i use neo rage. when i get rich, ill start to get games like samurai shodown 4 and metal slug 3.

part of the reason i got one, is that as soon as i saw one as a youngin, i wanted one. then i saw the price and figured id NEVER get one. now that i can somewhat afford one, i had to get it.

Revolt
08-05-2002, 08:31 PM
Maybe i should checkout ebay for a neogeo. I always wanted one..........ohwell :cry:

CrazyImpmon
08-06-2002, 05:01 AM
Personally I don't like XBox. There isn't any game that I wanted to get save for Halo and I don't have room on my shelf for that black and green tank. It's original controller were also way too big for my comfort. I know there's a small version but I haven't tried it.

The minute I bump my Atari 5200 off for room is when there's a must-have XBox exclusive that appeals to me.

Dire 51
08-06-2002, 05:35 AM
I have yet to see a single XBox game I'm even slightly interested in playing.

YoshiM
08-06-2002, 07:55 AM
That's great! Hope you enjoy the system. It looks like its got potential. For me, I was thinking about getting it myself, but Nintendo roped me in again so I'm getting a Cube. If X-Box had more games I was interested, maybe. The only one thus far that got my attention was Morrowind, but I got that game to work on my 600 MHz PC decently. I am curious about that mech game that comes with a 70 button control panel.

MarkM2112
08-06-2002, 11:33 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the Xbox became the next dreamcast.

By this, do you mean that it will be the next system to die an early death? I really WANT to like this system, but it doesn't have a lot to offer me...

MankeyMan
08-06-2002, 04:08 PM
I've had far too many problems with all the microsoft software that I've used. And yes I am talking about OS's, and yes they did fuck up, lots. I had a brand new PC with windows 95 on it 6 years ago. I turn it on, and its fine. A week later, windows deletes part of itself. I call the helpline and am kept on hold for 40 minutes, before I speak to someone who's only suggestions is... 'Have you tried resetting it?' This has happened lots of times, even with new windows versions (95+, 98 etc). One time it erased my work, which I had spent around 15 hours doing. I was mightily pissed off and its not funny. Stop laughing.

*me beats all those laughing at him with his old computer*

Now then, where was I? Ah, yes. There is no way I'm going to waste money on something that:

1) Costs 200
2) I've seen fuck up almost every time I've played it (twice, but one out of two is not good)
3) Is made by a company with a track record so bad, it makes stepping in dog shit seem like a good thing.

Just my personal experience anyway.

Achika
08-13-2002, 04:49 PM
Hmmm.....Xbox/Microsoft is a very touchy subject with anyone here, whether you are a die-hard fan or not.

I admit, I was swung by the awesome graphics of DoA3 so I got a XBox on launch day. It crashed and burned a week later. I returned it for a working one and have only taken it back out to play another once or twice over the next few months. But nearly everyday the Xbox in our store gets the classic Microsoft BSoD. Even after using the refresh disc. Harddrive? Pfft. You fill it up with saved games and your box WILL start to crash when you play games.

It's alright. So far, this year hasn't been as good as it could have been. It does not have a lot to offer for many different audiences. Granted, games like DoA 3, Halo, Oddworld, Project Gotham and maybe 2-3 others a visually stimulating, but nothing new. Xbox did get the best console port of Max Payne. Games like Toe Jam & Earl 3, Panzar Dragoon Orta, and DoA Volleyball are coming out as XBox exclusives, but the only thing that's hurting them, is they are not out now. Lots of people are getting rid of them, not caring what's in the future. They want what's now.

Like I said, it's alright for some people it's alright but that doesn't mean it's for me. I've only got 5 games. I'm bored with them. I bought some so I could have something to play or thinking the game would be great but it turned out that they were mediocre sequels. 1 I bought on release day and haven't played. I'm getting 2 games free from Microsoft for the retailers program, but it's nothing special to me. I probably trade them in for DC games.

This next statement is a generalization from Xbox owners that I help everyday, and not intended to offend anyone on this site:
The Xbox is directed at males ages 20-40 that like sports and cars.

There I said it. Look at all the car/racing inspired games that are on the system. I also help many people that are disappointed in the system, thinking they would have had a ton more games and many more genres. There are families who have this as a family system, and no one can play games, because there are no 'E' rated good adventure games for kids.

Zadoc
07-19-2006, 01:56 AM
Hmmm.....Xbox/Microsoft is a very touchy subject with anyone here, whether you are a die-hard fan or not.

I admit, I was swung by the awesome graphics of DoA3 so I got a XBox on launch day. It crashed and burned a week later. I returned it for a working one and have only taken it back out to play another once or twice over the next few months. But nearly everyday the Xbox in our store gets the classic Microsoft BSoD. Even after using the refresh disc. Harddrive? Pfft. You fill it up with saved games and your box WILL start to crash when you play games.

It's alright. So far, this year hasn't been as good as it could have been. It does not have a lot to offer for many different audiences. Granted, games like DoA 3, Halo, Oddworld, Project Gotham and maybe 2-3 others a visually stimulating, but nothing new. Xbox did get the best console port of Max Payne. Games like Toe Jam & Earl 3, Panzar Dragoon Orta, and DoA Volleyball are coming out as XBox exclusives, but the only thing that's hurting them, is they are not out now. Lots of people are getting rid of them, not caring what's in the future. They want what's now.

Like I said, it's alright for some people it's alright but that doesn't mean it's for me. I've only got 5 games. I'm bored with them. I bought some so I could have something to play or thinking the game would be great but it turned out that they were mediocre sequels. 1 I bought on release day and haven't played. I'm getting 2 games free from Microsoft for the retailers program, but it's nothing special to me. I probably trade them in for DC games.

This next statement is a generalization from Xbox owners that I help everyday, and not intended to offend anyone on this site:
The Xbox is directed at males ages 20-40 that like sports and cars.

There I said it. Look at all the car/racing inspired games that are on the system. I also help many people that are disappointed in the system, thinking they would have had a ton more games and many more genres. There are families who have this as a family system, and no one can play games, because there are no 'E' rated good adventure games for kids.

Wow, I bet you feel kind of silly for that post now.

Vinnysdad
07-19-2006, 02:21 AM
Wow this thread is 4 years old. I wonder if the person you quoted is even still around. LOL

Emuaust
07-19-2006, 04:20 AM
the xbox can be bought for $99.95AUD at alot of retailers
as of this week, with my MS rep informing me that all hardware
and software support will be finished at the end of the year. :angry:

erehwon
07-19-2006, 07:11 AM
I picked up a brand new xbox two months ago and I've been pleased with it. The first game I beat on it was Panzer Dragoon Orta. That is a really good looking game. I have several more Sega games for it like Gunvalkyrie and both Otogi 1&2.

Right now is a good time to pick up games for it since retailers are droping prices. I got Half Life 2 for $9 at Circuit City. I picked up Jade Empire for $10 from Sears. TRU also has some good deals.

Lady Jaye
07-19-2006, 07:28 AM
Achika is still around, but not as much as before.

As for quoting a 4-year-old post and hold it against its author: hmm, so what's your point, Zadoc? Wow, I bet you feel kind of silly for quoting her now.

NintenDk
07-19-2006, 08:52 AM
Of course GENESISNES speaks from experience since he owns an Xbox & has played all the games on it to give his observation.

Thanks I know who to ask when I should get wondering about Xnox meself :sob: :P

Eternal Tune
07-19-2006, 11:00 AM

Thanks I know who to ask when I should get wondering about Xnox meself :sob: :P

God, I wish I could speak the English like you...... :sob: :P

BROKEN!

smork
07-19-2006, 11:33 AM
Hey, I still don't much like the Xbox, and I own a cuppla them.

Then again I am a DC fiend these days....

Zadoc
07-19-2006, 11:57 AM
As for quoting a 4-year-old post and hold it against its author: hmm, so what's your point, Zadoc?

Obviously how wrong the author proved to be with time. (Not to mention the lie about the bsod, that one had me rolling!)

Wow, I bet you feel kind of silly for quoting her now.

Why should I?

NintenDk
07-19-2006, 11:59 AM
As for quoting a 4-year-old post and hold it against its author: hmm, so what's your point, Zadoc?

Obviously how wrong the author proved to be with time. (Not to mention the lie about the bsod, that one had me rolling!)

Wow, I bet you feel kind of silly for quoting her now.

Why should I?

I agree zadoc lets quote the girls and then have them tell us we feel silly for such and such purpose. :-D

God, I wish I could speak the English like you...... :sob: :P

BROKEN!

honest typographical error, if you follow me :angel: :angel: :wink 2:

suckerpunch5
05-20-2008, 11:29 AM
bump for a old post that I found entertaining. I do like the xbox, and the games listed by the OP are pretty good games. I wonder if the original xbox will gain a dreamcast-like following? Probably not, given the backwards compatablility of the 360. anyways . . .

carlcarlson
05-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Wow, there were some annoying people in this thread...

Anyway, I'm still not crazy about the Xbox. The generalization Achika made about it being geared towards 20-40 year olds who like sports and cars really rings true for me. It seems like all the games are crappy testosterone games. There are maybe 20 games out of the whole library I would want.

And no, this isn't an anti-MS post, I own a 360 and have played it almost exclusively since I got it. Aside from the obvious hardware problems I think MS did a great job with their second generation system.

udisi
05-20-2008, 01:40 PM
wow, way to revive a 6 year old thread.

mregashu
05-20-2008, 01:49 PM
Riiiisssseee From The Grave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

skaar
05-20-2008, 02:07 PM
I live. Again!

*grabs pitchfork*

c0ldb33r
05-20-2008, 07:29 PM
Wow... while we're at it let's see if there are any more old posts we can dig up...

I recently returned from Virginia after visiting some relatives. One of which owns a Colecovision. I never played one before; even with the displays in various department stores, there were just too many kids around to wait for the system to become free. As luck would have it, I actually got to play a Colecovision uninterrupted. The games; Donkey Kong, Zaxxon, Turbo, and Q*Bert. The system is better than I expected in all areas; fluent movements, superior sound, great capabilities (listening to Michael Jackson while playing Turbo is great!), and excellent visuals. I used to shy away from Coleco's creation, but now I want more... and I intend to get it.

With so many people hating the Colecovision, those who actually like the system get drowned out. Well, I'm one of them now; I think the system, in a lot of respects, is better than the Atari 2600, which leads the market. Yeah, it's big and it's heavy, but who cares? If you don't have the energy to lift a Colecovision, don't worry about video games. Go grab yourself a Kit Kat bar and a sandwich! The system has more than my respect; it's got a reserved space on the shelf next to my Atari 2600.

By the way, I hope that quote gets some mad props, it took forever to do :D

TheDomesticInstitution
05-20-2008, 07:52 PM
Wow... while we're at it let's see if there are any more old posts we can dig up...

By the way, I hope that quote gets some mad props, it took forever to do :D

Yeah that sounds like some strange viral marketing hocus pocus. Insert system or game of your choice.

I love my XBOX. I'm not a Microsoft fan by any means though... as I own an apple computer and don't (and won't) own a 360 for the foreseeable future.
got it late in it's lifespan, and now that it's a dead system I'm picking up all the games for cheap. I have about 75 right now, and while it may be a heavily male oriented system... I don't play a lot of sports games or racing games and have found much to enjoy. On the other hand, while we're making generalizations... it can be said that the GC was a system for people who like kids games, and the PS2 is a system for people with erections for anime.

When I happen across "revived" posts... I often wonder about these long gone members who have 2000+ posts and why they left. It seems there are quite a few of them.

Steve W
05-20-2008, 09:32 PM
There's actually a decent amount of games on the original Xbox I've found. I can't stand sports games or racing games, but I personally have over 200 titles across most genres. Yes, most are a bit heavy on the testosterone, but I like and appreciate that in comparison to the GameCube, which was my first purchase of the last generation of consoles. Now you can pick up used games dirt cheap, it's a good one to snatch up and pick up a bunch of quality games for. Too bad I still can't find a copy of Barbie Adventures (the rarest game on the system) to round out my collection.

Icarus Moonsight
05-21-2008, 01:13 AM
And no, this isn't an anti-MS post, I own a 360 and have played it almost exclusively since I got it. Aside from the obvious hardware problems I think MS did a great job with their second generation system.

If you mean they did a great job getting many good games on a system that convulses and shits itself at random intervals like a epileptic and brain damaged Labradoodle; you'd be correct sir. ;)

Microsoft has a ways to go, but they are just about there. I just picked up an Xbox this last December and I think I'm up to about 25 games for the system. Mostly, thanks to their current cheapness. For me, I got into the system at the right time. If I was a launch customer I'd be more than a little ticked off at this point. Now, I can actually enjoy the system rather than lament and regret it. It took all the way to the last few weeks of 07, but I am also "One of *THEM* Now" too. LOL

The 1 2 P
05-21-2008, 02:05 AM
The xbox was a great system, one of my top 3 actually(along with the Nes and PS1). It had a ton of great games that many have tried to side step in vain with idiotic statements such as "all that system has is Halo".

Just to name a few of it's great games: Halo 1 and 2, Star Wars: Knights of The Old Republic 1 and 2, Star Wars: Jedi Academy, Star Wars: Jedi Outcast, Star Wars: Republic Commando, Otogi 1 and 2, Fable, Elder Scrolls 3, Ninja Gaiden, Ninja Gaiden Black, Doom 3 and Farcry. Of course, thats just a small sample but you get the idea.

Also, the xBox had the greatest online multiplayer community in existence and that legacy continues today in the 360. The Xbox shall go down as one of the greatest US made systems of all time.

swlovinist
05-21-2008, 09:35 AM
US made? I thought they were manufactured overseas like everything else :)

Xbox owner here, with about 200 games. I mostly collect it now because the games are going real cheap, and deals can be made everywhere. The Xbox was a very decent console, unfortunately shortened early by Microsoft. While it was doing well that the second spot of the console race, It made me pissed that MS decided to stop production in 04/05 along with have a serious shortened lifespan of new games coming out. If I was a consumer that bought a new Xbox that year, I would have been pissed. I think that the system will be remebered fondly, though it had some serious gaps in it library, espically traditional RPGs. Lets hope that Microsoft does not pull the same stunt with the 360 and pull the plug after 5 years, only when the 360 is getting some serious backage by consumers. I am still waiting for them to do a remodel....

PentiumMMX
05-21-2008, 10:16 AM
I used to think it was stupid until 2003, when I first played a demo of Project Gotham Racing 2, and in 2006, when I finally tried the Xbox version of Soul Calibur 2. I now own one, and have what I consider a decent-sized collection (Nearly 10 games so far). I like it a lot more than Gamecube.

smork
05-21-2008, 11:21 AM
These "Video Games" will never catch on. Just a passing fad -- how many people even own a Pong console or a Channel F, anyway?

I'll stick to playing Mousetrap and Candyland, thank you. None of this modern mumbo-jumbo for me.

s1lence
05-21-2008, 02:30 PM
These "Video Games" will never catch on. Just a passing fad -- how many people even own a Pong console or a Channel F, anyway?

I'll stick to playing Mousetrap and Candyland, thank you. None of this modern mumbo-jumbo for me.

Don't forget Sorry.....that totally PWNS GTA IV.

diskoboy
05-21-2008, 02:57 PM
I was one of those people who, pre-launch, though the first Xbox would fail miserably. I really did...

But then they announced Jet Set Radio Future, and said it would be an Xbox exclusive, and then I had to have one. I was about to pretty much give up the hobby after the failure of the Dreamcast. But the Xbox had some great titles from the get-go, and proved it wasn't just another typical console.

To me, the Xbox picked up from where the DC left off.

And I still think either version of Ninja Gaiden are better than all 3 Halo games, combined.

TheDomesticInstitution
05-21-2008, 03:11 PM
And I still think either version of Ninja Gaiden are better than all 3 Halo games, combined.

I can get behind that. I think Ninja Gaiden, will be a fairly valuable title in the future (being that it's XBOX exclusive). I haven't played Halo 3 and I haven't finished part 2 yet... but they seem to be more of the same... just with incremental improvements.

modest9797
05-21-2008, 03:29 PM
Welcome to the club!

NE146
05-21-2008, 04:33 PM
For the record, I now have probably around 11 original Xboxes (some are broken).. 3 of which I bought in just the past year alone.

I defiintely do think they're amazing consoles :)

modest9797
05-21-2008, 06:11 PM
For the record, I now have probably around 11 original Xboxes (some are broken).. 3 of which I bought in just the past year alone.

I defiintely do think they're amazing consoles :)

At first I thought it said games. Damn, that's a nice "hoard" :hail:

Sothy
05-21-2008, 07:51 PM
/me sets watch for reminder to bump this thread in the year 2012