PDA

View Full Version : Enchanted Arms

Daria
09-12-2006, 02:01 AM
So I picked up Enchated Arms Friday night, the first Japanese RPG to be released for the 360. Despite all the mediocre reviews I've read about the game, I have to say I'm having a lot of fun thus far.

You take on the role of the predictably irresponsible, rash, and hot-headed hero-with-a-mysteriously-magical-arm Atsuma. You attend a sort of technical collage for Enchanters with your two best buds, the annoyingly popular Toya, and his bitch Makato. The game begins on the Festival of the Golem Wars, thousands of years ago the entire world waged war against each other using mechanical soldiers in ther stead. Apparently everyone went too far, enlisting the aid of the godlike Devil King Golems and nearly wiped out all traces of Humanity, I'm unsure why everyone celebrating this near mass-genocide but I digress.

Atsuma begs his friends to skip classes and check out the festivities, they relent, the city's golems go hay-wire attacking civilians, you run back to save your dog, enter a dark forbidden place you shouldn't go, drag everyone into a nasty battle with the Ice Queen Devil Golem herself, passout, lose your friends, and awaken on a quest to save the world and avenge your school buddies.... and THAT should bring us upto date.

The battle systems a little strange but fun. You fight your enemies, mostly random battles, on a 8x4 grid, there's a dividing barrier across the middle preventing you from crossing over into enemy territory and vice versa. Every action you perfrom requires "Energy Points" or EP, and you have a number of various short and long range attacks at your disposal. All characters also belong to an element. Opposing elements are both strong and weak to one another, so that adds another little bit of strategy to your battles.

You can only choose four characters to join your party, and four more can hang around in your inventory. Everyone else you recruit must stay behind in storage. Now the way this works is, everyone in your party battles and gains "Skill Points" or SP, these can be traded in for skills or used to boost your attributes. Everyone in your inventory gains EXP and levels up automatically. And eveyone in your storage is screwed. So the more you use a character they stronger they become, this also means if you rely too heavily on one team everyone else is going to suck. Mix up your parties frequantly. You can't train everyone but make sure you have back-ups incase someone dies.

The battles start off really easy, the first couple hours through will feel like cake. Every once in a while you'll fight a battle where you manage to scrap by instead of dominate, because being strategic the tide can easily turn against you. But for the most part it's retardedly easy. It does not stay that way. Couple dungeons in and the monsters get ruthless, packing some really nasty abilities. Your survival depends on your willingless to rearrange your troops. So do not get attached your characters, you will have to swap them out constantly.

That said, the whole game is based around the whole monster collecting fad. Except in this game they're called- yup. Golems. Being an Enchanter you can enlist the aid of over 100 mechanical soldiers in your battle to save the planet. You can even play online matches against a friend but I haven't tried it.

There's little else to really say, game's gorgeous. The voice acting has gotten a bad rep but I thought it was quite good save Yuki. I hate both the bitch and her voice. Oh. Right the shops. Now this is really weird, by fighting monsters you also gain TP (Transaction Points? Surely not toliet paper.) and gems. Gems are used to construct Golems, Skills, and Weapons. TP is used to purchase healing items, gems, Golem cores (a vital element in constructing any Golem), Weapon cores (same principle), and Skill cores (you get the idea). So first you'll make your purchase, then it's all "assembly required" from there.

I also want to point out how fucking annoying it is that every abbreviation in the game ends in P, and they're not even conventional abbreviations. Hit points are "Vitality Points" and as I mentioned earlier Magic is EP. There's also something else called FP that's used for combos but I don't really understand how that works just yet. And finally there's PP, which is used to perform your large-scale badass special moves. It also apears to be gained only over time and/or dealing damage to enemies. But odder still, there doesn't appear to be any way of monitering how much PP you currently have. Just how much is actually required to perform the move. Talk about confuzzlement.

Sothy
09-12-2006, 03:07 AM
gay guy plays saxaphone. got it. Im runing right out to get it.

meancode
09-12-2006, 06:00 AM
I must say, for all the mediocure reviews this is getting, I am enjoying this game a lot. I am not as far as others, but it is a solid game.

I would also like to point out that someone who doesn't like the entire turn-based RPG thing has been playing this one too, Gamereviewgod.

He has been suprising us lately though, saying he actually likes Saints Row.

slip81
09-12-2006, 06:41 AM
Sounds interesting. I'll have to pick it up after a I get through some of the many PS2 RPG's I just went crazy buying.

nik
09-12-2006, 10:24 AM

**mini spoiler**

he dies not very long into the game if you're paranoid about that.

Daria
09-12-2006, 11:13 AM

**mini spoiler**

Yeah he sticks around only long enough for the begining plot exposition and tutorial sequances.

meancode
09-12-2006, 12:03 PM

**mini spoiler**

Yeah he sticks around only long enough for the begining plot exposition and tutorial sequances.

Thanks guys, thanks a lot, you have ruined the ENTIRE game for me!

(that was a joke :P )

Daria
09-12-2006, 12:11 PM

**mini spoiler**

Thanks guys, thanks a lot, you have ruined the ENTIRE game for me!

(that was a joke :P )

You could still come back though. Not like you actually see the body.

Daria
09-12-2006, 12:12 PM
*He

Where did the edit button go anyway?

meancode
09-12-2006, 12:21 PM
I think it is gone until they move to vBB.

s1lence
09-12-2006, 01:00 PM
I need to start playing this one. I bought it when it came out, just need to set the time aside to play it.

LAGO
09-12-2006, 05:05 PM
I've been playing this game for a little while now. I'm about halfway through and I have to say this is a really fun game to me.

One thing I like is how you level your characters. You use skill points (SP) that accumulate in battle, go to the character screen and up their parameters. It gives the player a little more user control.

The only time I got remotely frustrated was when I forgot to flip a switch. Took me forever to find that stupid thing.

heybtbm
07-18-2007, 01:35 PM
FYI: The price of the PS3 version of Enchanted Arms has just been universally dropped to $19.99. I picked it up today at Circuit City. The 360 version is still $29.99 new everywhere.

norkusa
07-18-2007, 02:10 PM

It's the only reason why I bought it:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=12497&type=mov&pl=game

PDorr3
07-19-2007, 01:06 PM
Anyone scared off by the gay character dont worry (POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD) he is only with you for like the first 2-3 hours of the game, and then you dont haveto worry about him.

I rented EA and it took me about 35-50 hours to beat it, since the final boss was givng me trouble I spent about 5-7 hours of training so I would stand a chance. I would say overall the game is not as bad as reviews make it seem, it was quite enjoyable at times even if the story is completely predictable.

heybtbm
07-19-2007, 01:14 PM
I would say overall the game is not as bad as reviews make it seem, it was quite enjoyable at times even if the story is completely predictable.

I think most of the criticism is based around the idea of Enchanted Arms being a $60 game. You often see this in reviews (Gamespot and IGN) about how a game is good, but not $50 or $60 good. That's why I'll usually give most games a chance (that I have some initial interest in) when they hit $20 or less.

Oobgarm
07-19-2007, 02:26 PM
I dunno if it was a fluke or not, but I saw this used for PS3 at GameStop for a paltry $17.99.

PDorr3
07-19-2007, 02:28 PM
I think most of the criticism is based around the idea of Enchanted Arms being a $60 game. You often see this in reviews (Gamespot and IGN) about how a game is good, but not $50 or $60 good. That's why I'll usually give most games a chance (that I have some initial interest in) when they hit $20 or less.

Yes that is very true indeed, in my opinion the price of a game should not effect the final score at all due to its value decreasing over time. I do think that the price of the game should be mentioned in the review and if its worth it for the GAMEPLAY experience that the game offers, however taking off points in a review for its price is not a good idea, atleast in my opinion.

This game is totaly wprth $20, infact in gamestop I noticed the PS3 version is $20 brand new, thats a great deal for a satisfing RPG.

Juskin
07-19-2007, 05:05 PM
I found it to be an extremely generic cookie cutter rpg.

But it has its moments.

smork
07-19-2007, 10:32 PM
I didn't like it very much at all. My biggest problem with it is they forgot to put any depth in the world at all. So much there it looks like you should be able to do or explore, but can't.

Really no more than a 5/10 to me.