PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Wii to launch November 19th at $249.99

Pages : [1] 2

Anthony1
09-14-2006, 01:47 AM
Articles in the New York Times and Seattle Post that will appear in tomorrows versions will spill the beans that the Nintendo Wii will launch on November 19th for $249.99 in North America. And for the first time since the Sega Saturn a major U.S. console release will include a pack in game, Wii Sports. No word yet on one controller or two. This hasn't been 100 percent confirmed yet, but this appears legit.

kai123
09-14-2006, 01:50 AM
I don't want Wii Sports.....people talk about sony and MS shoving stuff down your throat. Wouldn't the system be alot cheaper without a game? Also I would rather have two controllers instead of Wii Sports, or maybe the regular style controller and a Wiimote.

Anthony1
09-14-2006, 01:58 AM
My apologies to PapaStu who reported this in the Japan Wii Conference Chat thread. I didn't read that thread all the way and I didn't notice that he already broke the news. My bad. Anywho, we can use this thread to discuss our reactions to the price and pack in game and other various details that will come out tomorrow.

As for my person reaction to the price, I was really, really, really hoping for $199. If it was $199, I would buy it without hesitation, at $249, it becomes more of a decision making process. $199 would have been a no brainer purchase, but now I must actually think about it for awhile. The fact that Wii sports is the pack in, does soften the blow a little bit, but for me it doesn't take it back into the "no brainer" category that $199 would have taken it. I don't purchase games, I rent them, so being forced to purchase Wii sports is not my preference. Also, I don't look at Wii sports as being a $49.99 game anyways. I think of it more like a $39.99 or $34.99 type of game.

Having said all of that, if it has 2 controllers packed in as well, then it's back into the "no brainer" category and if it has component cables packed in, that's a special bonus. But I'm thinking it's one controller and no component cables, so that brings me back to reality and back to somewhat of a dissapointment over the news. I guess we will just have to wait for all the official details.

Anthony1
09-14-2006, 02:07 AM
I forgot to mention the release date. I find it very odd that they would be releasing the system two days after the PS3. That doesn't make very much sense to me. I thought it was coming out in mid to late October, to steal the PS3's thunder. There are going to be a few gamers that would have gotten a Wii, that aren't going to be able to, because they are going to be totally broke by the 19th, because they will be in severe debt after getting the PS3. Sure there are only so many PS3's to be able to buy, so this isn't that big a factor but still. Had they come out well before the PS3, the exact opposite could have happened. You would have people who were saving up for the PS3, that won't be able to overcome the temptation for the Wii, and after buying a Wii and a couple of games and accessories, they won't have the $$$ needed for the PS3, and will have to scap their plans to get a PS3.

Oh well, I guess the good part of it for Nintendo, is the fact that there are going to be hundreds of thousands of people who really wanted the PS3, but couldn't get one, and two days later the Wii is going to be available and it's going to look mighty tempting, so that might be part of their strategy. All the empty handed gamers that miss out on the PS3, can fall back on the Wii, so maybe everything will balance out for them. I wonder if the development of Zelda played a part in this. Everything was pointing to mid October or late October and we go from that to November 19th, it's just kinda strange.

thefireflowermario
09-14-2006, 02:08 AM
no that is false, this is

http://tinyurl.com/kmsyw

EDIT BY GAC: Linkage was Wayyyyy too long. Please learn how to use http://tinyurl.com

SkiDragon
09-14-2006, 02:17 AM
That is too much. All Microsoft has to do is lower their price by $50 and they will have a much more powerful system for the same price. I expected the Wii to be the same price as every other Nintendo console at launch ($200), or more likely cheaper, seeing as though it's a bit lacking in the hardware department. The only thing that has an excuse to be expensive are the controllers. Not that I think any of the other systems are better deals, they are all too expensive. Maybe I will get a Vectrex or something instead.

MarkMan
09-14-2006, 02:17 AM
That's the Japan release date. In the link above.

December 2nd for 25,000 Y(Roughly $212 USD).

Contents include:

System
Stand
Sensor
Remote
Attachment(Nunchuck)
Batteries

Japanese system is not packaged with Wii Sports.

geneshifter
09-14-2006, 02:23 AM
Goodness, Nintendo is going to screw themselves AGAIN if they price that thing too high. The Virtual Console prices, especially for the NES titles, is crazy high in US dollars.

smork
09-14-2006, 02:32 AM
I am still quite excited!!!!

Did anybody REALLY expect the virtual console titles to be any cheaper than that? $250 is a smidge too much but i'll be getting mine on December 2.... 25K yen ain't so bad! Just hope I can get one :)

2Dskillz
09-14-2006, 02:53 AM
I know I was caught up in all of the speculation of lower prices, and the date is about a month later than I had hoped but don't you think your being harsh on Nintendo? They are still offering a next-gen experience at a considerably lower price and keeping all other games at $50 going against the new standard of $60 for next-gen titles.

As for Wii Sports: The pack-in gives great examples of the extent of the Wii-motes abilities in a easy to understand form. It follows the "getting everyone gaming" philosophy that Nintendo has been swearing to uphold.

Anthony1
09-14-2006, 02:59 AM
the "getting everyone gaming" philosophy that Nintendo has been swearing to uphold.

If they want to get everyone gaming, then they better put 2 Wii-motes in the box. If there are 2 Wii-motes in the box, then I'm very happy, and have no problems at all with the $249.99 price.

I also don't have a problem with the $249.99 price if they put Wii Sports in the box along with Component cables too. But if it's Wii Sports and a S-Video cable or some crap like that, then I'm pretty dissapointed. Wii Sports is a $39.99 title at best, and it's a game I wouldn't have purchased anyway. I'm a rental only guy, at least until games are $19.99 or so.

thefireflowermario
09-14-2006, 03:14 AM
check this out www.wii.com

thefireflowermario
09-14-2006, 03:18 AM
sry for 2x post but http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/topics/wii_preview/movie/lineup.html

NEOFREAK9189
09-14-2006, 03:48 AM
does the Wii have 5.1 audio
because I ready have Component cable from the game cube

swlovinist
09-14-2006, 03:49 AM
First of all, The Wii from the get go is not going for a graphics whore approach. I think that packing in component cables would not benifit the core audience of the Nintendo owners. I personally am happy that it does come with a pack in game and for $250. One thing that has not talked about is the operating system. Yep, you now can go on the internet, but I am sure that it will have it limitations. Opera software is also coming with the Wii. Nintendo is still thinking smart, after a few days, the PS3 will be a fond memory and will not be seen on shelves, leaving the 360 and Wii to be readily available. The download pricing scheme seems high, but hey, to the average non collector that price seems pretty good I bet. I still think the system is going to clean house this christmas IF they can have enough product on the shelves.

eggwolio
09-14-2006, 04:21 AM
The Gamecube launch was right around the same time as the Xbox, and if you remember, Nintendo offered no punishment for stores who broke street date at that time. I can only imagine that the wii will be exactly the same.

Trebuken
09-14-2006, 06:16 AM
That video was cool...I hope they have a US version; many of those Japanese flavored games seem hokey to me.

I agree that the date is a good one. No PS3's will be available. People will walk in the stores to get one, see that none are left, and pick up a Wii instead, after all it's much cheaper.

I am irked that neither Metroid 3 or Zelda look like they will be available on day 1. Zelda must be finished...it's been forever. They probably just want enough units on the street before releasing the game.

For those wanting, and able, to get both systems at launch, we need to be prepared for bankruptcy though. I usually have to work insane ours for Thanksgiving, having to wait in line or go to a midnight launch sale will likely put me in a coma.

I thought I heard about the classic games getting a facelift for launch. This might make the pricing worthwhile. 30 classics at launch? I bet there will be a Zelda in that list...

Later,
Trebuken

slip81
09-14-2006, 06:55 AM
Well, looks like I won't be buying one after all, at least not untill I can get the system without Wii Sports, or they bundle in a game I actually care about.

I like the idea of not having a pack in game, it allows you to pick a game you really want instead of being forced to get some crap.

The $249 doesn't bother me, because really, if it was $199, with no game, you'd be back up to $249 after getting a game, but at least it would be one that you wanted.

I'll get the component cable as soon as it's available though.

09-14-2006, 07:44 AM
We also have to keep in mind that the North American conference isn't until later today. Nintendo might announce a core package, more bundles, etc. etc.

About the pack in game, if it is the only way I am getting a Wii, then I'm fine with it. Besides, I was going to pick up Wii Sports anyway...so why not get it in a bundle?

09-14-2006, 07:50 AM
I'll go ahead and post this as a second post.(for some reason the edit button is not showing up) I just came across the launch line up for November 19.

Trauma Center (Atlus)
Elebits (Konami)
Machikuru Domino (Success)
Necro-Nesia (Spike)
Super Monkey Ball Uki-Uki Party Shuugoh (Sega)
Swing Golf Panya (Tecmo)
Wing Island (Hudson)
Kororinpa (Hudson)
SD Gundam REVOLUTION (Bandai Namco)
Ennichi no Tatsujin (Bandai Namco)
Tamagotchi no Pika Pika Daito-ryo-! (Bandai Namco)
Red Steel (Ubisoft)
Wii Sports (Nintendo)
Odoru Made In Wario (Nintendo)
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo)
Hajimete no Wii (Nintendo)

Of course, some will be Japan only releases. But this is a general idea of what you will be able to pick up with an extra $40-$50.

s1lence
09-14-2006, 08:48 AM
I find it funny that some of you are bitching about the ZOMG 250 dollar price tag. Its cheaper then the 360 its WAY cheaper then the PS3, but oh noes it has a pack in game that pushes the price up. I guess if you don't want the pack in game, wait because I'm sure the price will drop or they won't include a game at some point in time.

Including a game seems to make sence to selling to the masses though. Just about everytime I go to a store and a older parent/grandparent buys a system they ask if it includes a game in the box and then procede to complain that there isnt a game included.

As for the release date, I actually think its a good idea. Think about it, parent wants to buy kid new game system for x-mas. PS3 will most likely not be avalible that weekend, but HEY there is the new nintendo here and its cheaper, I'll get that.

Just my two cents.

lordnikon
09-14-2006, 09:01 AM
I find the Pricing of the Wii downloadable classic games to be absurd. 5-10 dollars is too expensive, since you can buy the actual carts for cheaper.

To put this in another perspective:

The upcoming Sega Genesis collection for the Playstation 2 will have a grand total of 31 titles (including the 3 unlockable games). This collection will be retailing for an MSRP of $19.99.

To buy all of these games on the Wii... in downloadable format... would cost you:

31 x 5 = $155.00

Yea. Crazy.

Griking
09-14-2006, 09:14 AM
I don't want Wii Sports.....people talk about sony and MS shoving stuff down your throat. Wouldn't the system be alot cheaper without a game? Also I would rather have two controllers instead of Wii Sports, or maybe the regular style controller and a Wiimote.

Wow, people seem to always find something to complain about :roll:

If you don't like sports simple, don't play it but I can't see how Nintendo including a pack in game win the Wii is anything less than great news.

GrandAmChandler
09-14-2006, 09:15 AM
I find the Pricing of the Wii downloadable classic games to be absurd. 5-10 dollars is too expensive, since you can buy the actual carts for cheaper.

To put this in another perspective:

The upcoming Sega Genesis collection for the Playstation 2 will have a grand total of 31 titles (including the 3 unlockable games). This collection will be retailing for an MSRP of $19.99.

To buy all of these games on the Wii... in downloadable format... would cost you:

31 x 5 = $155.00

Yea. Crazy.

Not everyone wants all 31 of those games..... This is designed for people to download their favorite games for a small fee. Especially for those who really are not into retrogaming at all. $5-10 for a game is not bad. I mean come on, $10 for (lets play devils advocate here) Super Metroid or Earthbound or Mario Kart 64 is not that bad!!

Also, again stop bitching about the price. It's $250 with essentially 3 games!!! The accessories are cheaper than 360, and the console is defintely less. I think everyone needs to stop whining and remember that the OTHER competition is charging $600-$700 this year for their system.

So basically, shut up, open your wallets, and play with your Wii. Long. and Hard.

09-14-2006, 10:07 AM
Including a game seems to make sence to selling to the masses though. Just about everytime I go to a store and a older parent/grandparent buys a system they ask if it includes a game in the box and then procede to complain that there isnt a game included.

I agree. Think about it, Nintendo is wanting to expand the market to older and younger players. The best way to do this is by showing how easy to use the controller is with simple games that everyone knows.

MarkMan
09-14-2006, 10:09 AM
Looks like it's all official, even though we had a sneak preview last night...

Nintendo Wii
November 19
$249.99

Nintendo plans to ship 4 million total units from launch until year's end. The Wii will be available from over 25,000 locations in the U.S. alone.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732707p1.html

All the news there.

Lots of talk about the Wii Channels and Wii connect.

Zelda gauranteed launch title, GameCube Zelda on Dec. 11th. Ouch.

All I gotta say is.

I'm preordering my shit today.

09-14-2006, 10:12 AM
The Wii connect and Mii look amazing.

http://www.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2006/09/nintendo_wiiface.jpg

fame
09-14-2006, 10:26 AM
"MSRP: $249. One price, one config, one color: white. This simplicity allows us to maximize volume throughout the Americas. Our shipment goal worldwide is 4M consoles during the 43 days between launch and Dec 31. The Americas will receive the largest share, a continuous flow of units."

Still a little upset about there being only one color.

geneshifter
09-14-2006, 10:28 AM
"MSRP: $249. One price, one config, one color: white. This simplicity allows us to maximize volume throughout the Americas. Our shipment goal worldwide is 4M consoles during the 43 days between launch and Dec 31. The Americas will receive the largest share, a continuous flow of units."

I'm upset because all Nintendo has been whining about is that Wii is for everyone, we O_O NOW, they are packaging the console with only one set of controllers. How stupid is that move I ask you ? :angry: x_x

Mr.FoodMonster
09-14-2006, 10:30 AM
Well, I've been thinking for months that it was going to be $250, and anything lower would've just been a nice bonus. What is a nice bonus, is that Wii sports is going to be a pack in. That makes me pretty happy.

So uh, are EB and GS taking pre-orders yet? :D

09-14-2006, 10:33 AM

I'm upset because all Nintendo has been whining about is that Wii is for everyone, we O_O NOW, they are packaging the console with only one set of controllers. How stupid is that move I ask you ? :angry: x_x

That seems to be the only thing that is upsetting me about the details. An extra wiimote is $39.99. Then, if you want to add the nunchuk attachment it's another $19.99. Having to pick up another controller for that much kinda knocks me out of buying another extra game.

Oh, I just read over at Engadget that the first Wii online game will be a Pokemon game. It will launch in Japan on Dec. 2, followed shortly by a US launch.

geneshifter
09-14-2006, 10:35 AM
Yes, so for a total of just uder $500 I can play double tennis. No thanks.

09-14-2006, 10:36 AM

Uh, $280 isn't quite $500 bud.

geneshifter
09-14-2006, 10:39 AM

No no, it's $265 or so after taxes for the base package. Then, around $210 for 3 more sets of the controllers. So, to play doubles tennis, close to $500.

09-14-2006, 10:41 AM

No no, it's $265 or so after taxes for the base package. Then, around $210 for 3 more sets of the controllers. So, to play doubles tennis, close to $500.

LOL Ah, I see what you're saying. Sorry about that.

geneshifter
09-14-2006, 10:44 AM

LOL Ah, I see what you're saying. Sorry about that.

No problem. I can't edit my typos with the migration and all. I am really disappointed in Nintendo for not taking FULL advantage of the current situation.

Dobie
09-14-2006, 10:52 AM
4 million consoles will be shipped! Nice! Roughly 10x the number of PS3s available. Hopefully I will be able to simply walk into a store and find one! No camping this year for me. Fall is already starting to hit around here, and is reminding me how much sitting out in cold weather sucks.

geneshifter
09-14-2006, 11:04 AM
I hope that most games do not need the nuncheck. Then, it's only closer to $400 for doubles tennis.

I'm obsessed with 4 player action since this is being bought for my nephews and they will all want to play together.

AMG
09-14-2006, 11:26 AM
I think it's funny how Nintendo have said from the beginning that this console is being aimed at the so called "non gamers." Yet it's priced higher than any Nintendo console before it. With the most expensive controllers to boot.

Will I buy one? Sure. But is $249.00 attractive to people who have no interest in gaming? No.

diskoboy
09-14-2006, 11:37 AM
I have to be the first to say - I don't like this price point and am definately gonna wait on a price drop or two.

$199 (even with Wii Sports) seems a little more fitting. Especially for a system that is barely more powerful than the Xbox 1.

geneshifter
09-14-2006, 11:37 AM
You guys should check out this page. These videos make me feel better about the price that's for sure!!!

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/topics/wii_preview/presentation/index.html

It's several pages but videos on most. Cool as ice :D

s1lence
09-14-2006, 11:47 AM
I think it's funny how Nintendo have said from the beginning that this console is being aimed at the so called "non gamers." Yet it's priced higher than any Nintendo console before it. With the most expensive controllers to boot.

Will I buy one? Sure. But is $249.00 attractive to people who have no interest in gaming? No.

And 600 dollars for a ps3 is? lol

We don't even know the price of the PS3 controllers but if they arent 50-60 bucks I would be surprised.

AMG
09-14-2006, 11:52 AM

What does the PS3 have to do with this?

09-14-2006, 11:53 AM
4CR is reporting that Zelda 1, Mario World, Donkey Kong, and Mario 64 will definately be available on launch day.

s1lence
09-14-2006, 12:00 PM

Saying that its expensive, thats all.

neuropolitique
09-14-2006, 12:05 PM
If Nintendo wanted my money they should have not only included Wii Sports, but also compentent cables, Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy, and 4 Controllers with nunchucks. And have priced it at $199. But since they seem to have their head up their ass, I won't be buying.

Don't they know that charging fair prices for shit alienates hardcore gamers!!!1??

Sorry nintendo, you blew it. Nintendo is going software only in 3 years.

09-14-2006, 12:07 PM
There are two more features that Nintendo left out today. If you go to Wii.com there are still two empty video slots for the Wii Channels! So that means there are two suprises left for the Tokyo Game Show. Wonder what they could be? My guess is something big with the DS. :)

s1lence
09-14-2006, 12:10 PM
If Nintendo wanted my money they should have not only included Wii Sports, but also compentent cables, Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy, and 4 Controllers with nunchucks. And have priced it at $199. But since they seem to have their head up their ass, I won't be buying.

Don't they know that charging fair prices for shit alienates hardcore gamers!!!1??

Sorry nintendo, you blew it. Nintendo is going software only in 3 years.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

09-14-2006, 12:15 PM
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/topics/wii_preview/movie/lineup.html

Found some new footage from some of the games being shown today. I'm really thinking that everyone is underestimating the power of this puppy.

If you watch closely...you can see some RE Wii video in there. :eek 2:

NE146
09-14-2006, 12:15 PM
It seems right in line to me for the average range of console prices ever since the Atari VCS of $199-$299.

The only ones really to break that mold were stuff like the 3DO & Neo-Geo. Or maybe the Saturn.. I forget. But still, the majority are right in that range. So we can include the Wii now.

Anthony1
09-14-2006, 12:30 PM
In regards to the price, people can see we are bitching about complaining about the price, but you have to realize that Nintendo kept saying that there system would be the cheapest and that it would be affordable to the masses, etc, etc. I find it somewhat odd, that the Wii will be their MOST EXPENSIVE home console in America ever. Super Nintendo = $199.99 Nintendo 64 = $199.99 GameCube = $199.99.

Also, the Wii is essentially a suped up GameCube with a special controller. GameCube's currently sell for $79.99 brand new. Certainly the controller costs some money, but at $249.99, Nintendo is definitely making a profit on this package, and I just think if they really, really, really wanted to appeal to the masses $199.99 would have been a better idea. $199.99 with no pack in, is much more attractive. Do you really think Wii Sports is enough of a game to sell on it's own for $49.99? I don't think so. I think Wii Sports is a $34.99 game. It's a very basic game, almost a tech demo for the Wii or a sample type game. Even if Nintendo sold the Wii with Wii Sports packed in for $199.99 I don't think they would be taking a loss. They might only have a couple of bucks profit on each unit, but I don't think they would be taking a loss at all. But with the $249.99 I think they are making a healthy profit on the Wii right from jump street, which is absolutely wonderful for them as a company, but not so great for us as consumers.

To be totally honest, this package isn't that bad a deal for me personally. Wii Sports is probably one of my most wanted Wii games period. I don't think it's a Wii game that is worth $49.99 or $44.99, but at $39.99 or $34.99 it's not a bad deal. If I was the type of person that bought new games (I have a rental only policy for any game above $29.99), I would have bought Wii Sports on day one if it was priced $39.99 or less. So for me, it's not that horrible a deal. The system is worth maybe $199 and Wii Sports is worth $34.99, so I'm only over paying by $15. So it's not that big a trajedy. I still would much rather buy a Wii with no game at all for $199.99, because I rent games anyways, so I wouldn't be buying anything until it hit the bargain bins.

Anthony1
09-14-2006, 12:32 PM
that top sentence was supposed to read:

"In regards to the price, people can't see why we are bitching about the price....."

AMG
09-14-2006, 12:37 PM

Saying that its expensive, thats all.

My point is Nintendo has priced themselves out of the non gamers they're supposed to be aiming for. Why would someone with no interest in games want to spend $250? Even if they try the Wii out and like it they most likely won't spend that kind of money for it. If they really wanted to hit the non gaming market they should have gone cheaper.

Now I do feel $250 is a good price for gamers, but that wasn't the subject of debate.

mario2butts
09-14-2006, 01:14 PM
In regard to the Wii's price being higher than the launch prices of past Nintendo consoles, we have to remember that these prices do not reflect inflation. A dollar today can buy more than a dollar 15 years ago, so its only natural that consoles today cost more than they did then. The Wii, at $249 2006 dollars is not a ripoff compared to, say, the Super NES at $199 1991 dollars.

According to this calculator (http://inflationdata.com/inflation/Inflation_Rate/InflationCalculator.asp), prices have increased by 48.98% from August 1991 to July 2006 (the latest month for which data is available). So the Super NES would have cost 199x1.4898= $296.47 in today's dollars. Likewise, the N64 would have cost $255.91, and the Gamecube $228.27 in 2006 dollars. So in comparison the Wii's price is really not that unusual or surprising.

Neo Rasa
09-14-2006, 01:18 PM
My point is Nintendo has priced themselves out of the non gamers they're supposed to be aiming for. Why would someone with no interest in games want to spend $250?

Speaking from experience, as far as people who aren't obsessed with gaming like we are go, EVERYONE who got a DS, even those who originally weren't gamers, wants a Wii. That's at least true in this region. Marketing wise, the price is flawless because it's significantly lower than the perceived competition.

Captain J
09-14-2006, 01:39 PM
In regard to the Wii's price being higher than the launch prices of past Nintendo consoles, we have to remember that these prices do not reflect inflation. A dollar today can buy more than a dollar 15 years ago, so its only natural that consoles today cost more than they did then. The Wii, at $249 2006 dollars is not a ripoff compared to, say, the Super NES at $199 1991 dollars.

According to this calculator (http://inflationdata.com/inflation/Inflation_Rate/InflationCalculator.asp), prices have increased by 48.98% from August 1991 to July 2006 (the latest month for which data is available). So the Super NES would have cost 199x1.4898= $296.47 in today's dollars. Likewise, the N64 would have cost $255.91, and the Gamecube $228.27 in 2006 dollars. So in comparison the Wii's price is really not that unusual or surprising.

excellent point! you can even go back to the vcs price of $199 and it would be over $400 today!

7th lutz
09-14-2006, 01:42 PM
The price isn't bad with the pack-in. One of the reason why I wanted wii was because of wii sports.

Captain J
09-14-2006, 01:46 PM
Nintendo is going software only in 3 years.

sheah, right, and monkeys might fly out of my butt! LOL

c0ldb33r
09-14-2006, 01:50 PM
So will a classic controller be included?

koster
09-14-2006, 01:54 PM
I'm glad that the Wii is backward-compatible with the entire Gamecube library, as I have a stack of games to finish, and more Gamecube games that I want to play.

Too bad there was no additional info on DVD playback, or a complete list of Virtual Console titles that would be available at launch.

Opera costing "Wii points" to download? :(
Internet Channel compatible with Macromedia Flash and AJAX? :)

c0ldb33r
09-14-2006, 01:59 PM
Opera costing "Wii points" to download? :(
Internet Channel compatible with Macromedia Flash and AJAX? :)
I didn't hear about that - I thought Opera came installed in ROM

GrandAmChandler
09-14-2006, 02:00 PM
So will a classic controller be included?

No, sold separately. However a Wii-mote and a Nunchuck adaptor will be included

Neo Rasa
09-14-2006, 02:02 PM
Opera download only purchase for Wii usage is a very good idea actually. By definition an adult would be setting the wheels for it to be downloaded onto a Wii into motion so that Nintendo isn't held accountable is Timmy somehow starts using it as a standard web browser and finds 18 And Dripping Volume 4 or something.

No word on the classic controller.

Also no word on DVD player capabilities, originally they said if it's going to happen, it will be via a very cheap external device. Fine with me since I have more things that can play DVDs than I can count.

Anthony1
09-14-2006, 02:42 PM
Here are some basic known facts about the Wii in North America as it currently stands.

Price = $249.99

Date = Sunday November 19th, 2006

Color = White only (for now)

Available at = 25,000 retailers in North and South America

# of units available worldwide = 4 million to 4.5 million with the majority for the North American market

Pack in = Wii Sports (includes Tennis, Golf, Baseball, Bowling and Boxing)

Controllers included = 1 nunchaku unit and 1 Wii-mote

AC Adapter = unknown exactly what type of power plug or AC Adapter it will be using, but of course it will be packed in the box

Audio/Video cables = no announcement yet, but expected to include basic audio/video cables. The ones with the yellow, red and white plugs. Yellow for composite video and red and white for left and right stereo.

SD cards for storage = not likely included

Internet Browser = Opera Browser (not included) must be purchased seperately for Wii points. Unknown how many Wii points it costs

Games confirmed for day 1 of launch = supposedly 25 games including: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Excite Truck, Call of Duty 3, Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam, Trauma Center: Second Opinion, Need for Speed: Carbon, Madden 07, Elebits, Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz, Rayman: Raving Rabbids, Splinter Cell: Double Agent among others

Games confirmed by the end of 2006 = roughly 30 titles

Prices for first party games = $49.99 or less

Prices for Vitual Console games:

NES = 500 Wii points ($5)

SNES = 800 Wii points ($8)

Nintendo 64 = 1000 Wii points ($10)

Price of a 2000 points Wii card at retail = $20

Virtual Console games confirmed for launch = Super Mario World and Super Mario 64

Virtual Console games expected per month = 10 per month

Cost of additional Wii-motes = $39.99 (Nunchaku sold seperately)

Cost of additional Nunchaku units = $19.99

Cost of component cables = unknown, expected to be $29.99 or more

Cost of S-Video cables = unknown, probably $19.99 or so

Wii games delayed from launch window = Metroid Prime 3 is now a 2007 release

slip81
09-14-2006, 02:44 PM
Also, again stop bitching about the price. It's $250 with essentially 3 games!!! The accessories are cheaper than 360, and the console is defintely less. I think everyone needs to stop whining and remember that the OTHER competition is charging $600-$700 this year for their system.

So basically, shut up, open your wallets, and play with your Wii. Long. and Hard.

The Wii is also less of a system technologically than the other two. The 360 has High Def and 5.1, and a dvd drive, HDD and component cables, the PS3 has high def, blu-ray, HDMI, 5.1 and an HDD, all of which help to justify the higher price.

The Will is basically a slightly more poweerful piece of hardware when compaired to the GCN.

Though I'm not complaining about the price, I don't like the idea of a pack period, as since the DC I haven't liked any launch line up for any system, hence why I haven't bought any at launch.

I don't like the idea of a pack in, bacuase to me, it forces you to spend money on something you may not want. If you want Wii sports, fine, it's a great price, if you don't though it's kind of like wasting money, because you'll have to spend an additional $50 just to get a game you want, when you already spent $50 for one you didn't want.

I'd rather buy the Wii for $199 without a game, and then spend the $50 on one that I want.

Also $5-10 isn't that bad for the downloadable games peope, Live Arcade games are essentially the same price, since most are 800 points, and you can only buy min 1000 for $12.95. At that rate you'd have to buy 4000 points before you'd have enough left over to get a game without getting additional points.

And since I hardly ever see anyone complain about the live arcade costs it must mean that you don't mind paying that much for downloadable games.

Anthony1
09-14-2006, 03:00 PM
In regards to the cost of the virtual console games, I don't think the prices are too outa whack, but I think they should have made it more game specific. Some random crappy SNES game shouldn't cost the same as Super Metroid. According to their system, all SNES games are $8. All NES games being $5 is a pretty good deal. N64 games being $10 is kinda weird, I'm not sure there are any N64 games that I would want to spend $10 on, just to own something that doesn't have a physical form.

I wonder if like with Xbox Live, once you purchase these games, you own them for life, as long as you use the same Gamertag or whatever. Also, it would be sweet if you could purchase the VC games and once you bought them, you could play them on both the Wii and DS, for the one price. Then it would almost be worth it. Myself personally, I would rather have the real game, and until they come out with wireless replicas of their real controllers for the NES, SNES and N64, I'm not going to purchase any of those games, even the rare ones that are too expensive to buy off Ebay. I'd rather use my PC and a USB version of the real controller.

The only way they can get me to actually buy VC games, is if they add internet multiplayer to them. Like for Mario Kart SNES.

YoshiM
09-14-2006, 03:08 PM

I love it when someone uses inflation. I used to as well but then I realized it's not really relevent. It's about current perception of value, not value based on how much things were X number of years ago.

7th lutz
09-14-2006, 03:18 PM
With the virtual console, I have no idea what the prices or the tg-16 games will be.

The only virtual game console games that mentioned at http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=6877 were:
Donkey Kong-nes
Super Mario World-snes
Super Mario 64-n64
R-type-version unclear
Ecco the Dolphin-genesis
Bomberman 94-tg-16
The Legend of Zelda

The other games that were announced were from sega on Sept. 11th.
Those were According to http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=6850 were
Altered Beast-genesis
Columns-genesis
Golden Axe-genesis
Ristar-genesis
Sonic the Hedgehog-genesis
Toe Jam & Earl-genesis

There was no price on the genesis games either. That a bit bigs me also beside the tg-16. I hope sega and Hudson will give the prices for their genesis and tg-16 games.

diskoboy
09-14-2006, 03:18 PM
According to joystiq - No DVD movie playback with the Wii. It won't effect my decision since I have 5 players laying around my house...

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2006/09/wiiboxusa.jpg

Gotta love that packaging, though.

NE146
09-14-2006, 03:38 PM
In regards to the price, people can see we are bitching about complaining about the price, but you have to realize that Nintendo kept saying that there system would be the cheapest and that it would be affordable to the masses, etc, etc. I find it somewhat odd, that the Wii will be their MOST EXPENSIVE home console in America ever. Super Nintendo = $199.99 Nintendo 64 = $199.99 GameCube = $199.99.

Why are you limiting it only to Nintendo consoles. the Genesis launched at $250 remember? So did the Atari 2600 . And I remember buying my Turbografx-16 at launch for the same amount as well!

How can it be terribly priced when the average console launch price over the past 20+ years has been $199-$299?? It fits right in there! :) All their other consoles have as well. They are consistent.

And by the way, the PSP is still $250 ;)

le geek
09-14-2006, 03:51 PM
Well, I'm pretty excited, but still hesitant. The Mii feature sounds cool, but the pricing isn't quite the no brainer I was looking for. But really, it will come down to how well the Wii version of Zelda is reviewed as well as well as trying it out for myself...

Right now I'm leaning towards a 360, but am on a C64 emu kick...

Cheers,
Ben

AMG
09-14-2006, 04:39 PM
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2006/09/wiiboxusa.jpg

Gotta love that packaging, though.

Agreed, very classy looking.

YoshiM
09-14-2006, 04:52 PM
I'm still waiting to see official word but the way things look, the $250 with Sports and one Wiimote/Nunchuck is practically set in stone. So I'll base my thoughts on that for now...

-A little miffed on price: $250 for one controller and a collection of mini games. I was hoping for $200, one controller and no game. To get a "full" controller it's $60 (remote plus chuck). I guess ya gotta pay for innovation.

-the separation of Wiimote and Chuck: So far it looks like many games are going to require the wiimote/chuck combo to play. Unfortunately Nintendo seems to have gone for the "necessary accessory" approach Sony did years back with the memory card on the PS1. You can buy a Wiimote separate but that might not help you if you want to play Call of Duty 3 with a buddy. Since the concept of the Wii is different, the "non gamer" may not know this additional purchase may be necessary, possibly causing some grief. Just package the two for $50-the nunchuck is probably gonna die before the wiimote anyway.

-extra features...why?: I could see music storage for custom soundtracks (hmm...sell music on Nintendo's online service that can be played on a DS using WiFi and a memory card...that's an idea...) but I didn't see web browsing and news/weather being an possibility or a desire. If you've got Internet access you most likely have a PC. Why would you downgrade to surfing the net on a TV? As for news-again you have your PC or you can tune in to cable/satellite/broadcast television to get info. Also how good will the weather information be? How "local" can the information get? Why use this when you can use WiiOpera to go to Weather Channel, Accuweather, etc. instead for possibly better info?

And if you don't have Internet access (or dial up) the option is now useless. I'd rather have it as a free or cheap option rather than built in

This has kinda gone from "launch day purchase" to "wait and see". My brother in law and I both have enough Gamestop credit for a fully decked out Wii (four controllers) but I had planned to purchase my own. If I like what I play and there are games I want that he'll never play, I'll probably pick a system up later.

shopkins
09-14-2006, 04:53 PM
A couple of questions I'm hoping someone can answer:

Will the Wii have internal memory to save games or will we have to buy memory cards?

Will the Wii have 5.1 Surround support? I felt a little burned when the Gamecube just came with Dolby Prologic 2, especially since my system didn't support that standard.

How will it connect to the Internet? If it's only through Wi-fi that's going to add to the cost for me, because I only have one computer and when I had Internet I connected it directly through a cable modem.

How much will the SD card cost? How much will the Opera browser cost?

I also hate that they're using a points system to disguise how much downloadable games cost. It should be right out there in U.S. dollars. Points systems feel dishonest.

c0ldb33r
09-14-2006, 05:13 PM
Will the Wii have internal memory to save games or will we have to buy memory cards?

I was thinking they'd just save to your SD card

How much will the SD card cost? How much will the Opera browser cost?

I assume we'll be able to use any old SD card. These are dirt cheap for big ones.

I also hate that they're using a points system to disguise how much downloadable games cost. It should be right out there in U.S. dollars. Points systems feel dishonest.

Not really - it's a simple conversion. I hope they'll award points for certain things, i.e. register 3 games and get 1000 free points or something like that. I supposed they could do it the same way just by saying register 3 games and get a free n64 download, but it seems less skeezy to give away points somehow.

klausien
09-14-2006, 05:18 PM
I love the knee-jerk reactions going on around here. Shame on all of you. Viewing this in perspective, this is a very good, if not great deal, and the Wii will absolutely be the hottest item this Christmas, slam dunk style.

Wii System with Remote & Nunchuck + Wii Sports - $250

Think about their price point for additional controllers:

Remote - $40
Nunchuk - $20

So, we have $250-$60=$190

Now lets say, $35 for the Wii Sports $290-$155=$155

That makes the MSRP of the Wii system alone approx $150. Add the $40 for one solitary remote, as a comparison to an XBox360 or PS3 with one controller and we have $195. The system is under $200. Everyone also seems to forget that there is a lot of tech going on in that remote & nunchuck. It is not "just a controller".

The "core", AKA neutered, systems from Microsoft and Sony are $300 & $500 respectively. Neither of them offer the full experience, and adding the eventually necessary HDD for the XBox360 later simply makes the $300 system the premium $400. It also still has a wired controller. A $500 PS3 will never have a 1080p connection or 60GB HDD no matter what you do. The only true choice is the full-price product for both systems, as you will either lose something or end up spending more in the long run. For the approximate price of a Core XBox360 with no games, you will be able to play Wii Sports AND the new Zelda on November 19th. How is that not a "no brainer"?

In addition to this shortfall, Sony & Microsoft are still taking a bath on their systems in the worst way. It is important to recognize that the "selling at a loss" phenomenon has reached upspeakable, and very dangerous (at least for Sony) levels. Nintendo is making money on the Wii even with the pack-in. And none of these "We are being ripped off because there is still only one controller" or "I don't want to pay for Wii Sports" shenanigans. Not wanting to play Wii Sports is total, unadulterated elitism. I hate sports games, but was interested in Wii Sports from day one. For anyone who knows my tastes (1,384 unique games including only about 10 or so sports games, three of which are tennis), that speaks volumes.

The average person is not adverse to a company making money on its products, nor do they even have the slightest idea of how much the gadget costs to make. Only mainstream gamers who buy every version of Madden for $50-$60 and are disappointed that "next gen" will also include best sellers that lack graphic violence and adult themes; or say, post-PSX fanboy types who think of Nintendo's IPs as being childish or "uncool" are so upset about the fact that they are set to remain number one in profits. Nintendo always makes money on their products. Fact.

I agree that the pack-in game also plays very well to the consumers' sense of value for their money. There is a full experience in that Wii box. Parents are going to love that. They have already accepted that a game and extra controller are in the cards when buying their kid a system, so the Wii softens the blow in a way that will be welcomed. Remember, we know way more about any of this than the average parent. It is purely psychological. "Oh yeah, it comes with a game, and its only $250!!!" The 18-25 set may be the largest demographic in the market, but that doesn't matter here. Said parents are also going to be the those very "non-gamer" people Nintendo hooks with Wii Sports, much like the old gun games even got my GRANDPARENTS to try and ultimately enjoy video games. It is a smart move.

Now, I can't say I'm not a bit disappointed. I would have felt it was truly perfect at $250 with the pack-in AND 2 controllers, but it sure beats what you get for the same $250 with something like the PSP as NE146 said before.

This price point is simply good business. Nintendo will not be going the route of Sega anytime soon, if ever, nor do they need to bargain basement themselves to remain solvent. The chance they took was in true innovation in the idiom, as opposed to better graphics or the "Look! Our game machine is a media center!" philosophy. They have "political capital" to spare coming out at $250 with this package. Sony thinks they have an unlimited amount of said "capital" to spend, much like a certain chief executive, and have taken a large, some say irrational, gamble. It might pay off for them, but it has the makings of a serious debacle. The people at large seem to take arrogance lightly in a political sense, but when they don their consumer robes, they need a return for their hard-earned money.

Anyone who knows me knows that I love gaming, period. I am not a Nintendo fanboy. I am just a rational person who loves their hobby and who is happy to see at least one of the industry leaders doing something to take gaming out of the doldrums it has been in. This is not a disclaimer. The writing is on the wall, and Nintendo is helping fade it, if not erase it.

jajaja
09-14-2006, 05:19 PM
Its cool that the console is regionfree like the 360 (probly mentioned before here, but i havnt read all) :) First-party games will have no region so you can import from anywhere in the world and play without a problem. I wonder what the 3rd-party developers will do.

geneshifter
09-14-2006, 05:32 PM
Thought you guys would like to know this. I just got a call from my local Gamestop and they are starting preorders for Zelda:TP Wii version tomorrow, Friday. Better get in there ASAP.

MrRoboto19XX
09-14-2006, 05:36 PM
I plan on gladly plopping down 250+ on launch day.

shopkins
09-14-2006, 05:37 PM

Remote - $40
Nunchuk - $20

This is bullshit. No game system in history, at least as far as I know, has shipped without some way to control it. One controller is an expected part of the price, not an extra.

Pack in games shouldn't be considered extras to take away from the cost, either. It's still $250.

Garry Silljo
09-14-2006, 05:58 PM
I agree with most of what klausien has said with a few minor disagreements that amount to nothing.

I wanted to add that for people who are complaining about no internal memory, though some consumers will have to pay extra to save, Nintendo has TRIED to use formats people already own. With the popularity of Digital Cameras, most people have one or more SD cards, and previous GameCube owners can still use their memory cards as well.

Also people who were hoping for an included "classic" controller, hopefully you have a Gamecube and you really don't need that then. Otherwise, It does suck a little you have to pay more. Hopefully many of these games will have alterante control schemes so players can use a game cube control if they can't afford extra controllers right away.

If I by some miracle have the money when this lauches, I'm jumping aboard right quick. I may even trade in my Cube and Xbox and all Xbox games so that I can pick this up. This is the only new console that interest me at all. PS3 and 360 have flashy graphics, sound I can't even use, and the same tired gameplay I've been ignoring for what feels like forever. This product is a bargain and truly inspiring to boot. My non-gamer wife wants one even more than I do and Wii sports to her is worht more than the system itself. She loves interactive controllers like guns or the wii-mote and she loves simple easy to understand games like bowling and Tennis. I may choose NOT to by one only to keep her off my gaming TV so that I can play.

c0ldb33r
09-14-2006, 06:07 PM
With that many systems at launch, do you think we'll need to pre-order? Or should showing up on launch day with my wallet be enough?

geneshifter
09-14-2006, 06:09 PM
I may even trade in my Cube and Xbox and all Xbox games so that I can pick this up. This is the only new console that interest me at all.

I'll buy it off you - don't trade it up!

geneshifter
09-14-2006, 06:16 PM
I may even trade in my Cube and Xbox and all Xbox games so that I can pick this up. This is the only new console that interest me at all.

er, I mean the xbox :embarrassed: I already have the gamecube.

DreamTR
09-14-2006, 07:14 PM
A few things I have to note:

A big LOL to all the idiots that honestly thought Nintendo was going to just give away their NES, SNES, and N64 library for FREE on the Wii. Anyone with half a brain could see that would be a silly business decision on their part not to charge for their older properties.

A big WTF to ANYONE complaining about prices these days. The guy who wrote about inflation hit the nail on the head, $249.99 nowadays is nothing. At the very least we have an extra game. Nintendo also knows money is made off of extra accessories. Microsoft thrives off that. Check the NPD data for Microsoft 360 Wireless Controllers and see how many have been sold. Nintendo's are going to go through the roof as well.

Compare this $249.99 price point with the XBOX Core System at $299.99 with nothing, the $499.99 PS3 with nothing, or the higher end $399.99/$599.99 models of XBOX 360 and PS3.

This system is not meant to mimic these systems. Simplistic fun has all been forgotten these days and the Nintendo DS is a marvel at what Nintendo has been able to do to gaming. At the very least, they are not forgetting about games being fun instead of this hokey "I must be realistic trip with my 1080i/P HDTV with my HDMi Cables and High End BBQROFLMAO SuperTV OMG GRAPHICS RoxoRs systems."

I mean, I even saw people complaining about cables in this thread. You realize an HDMi is nothing more than glorified component cables centralized down to one port for easier, cleaner access? Let's go out and pay $100+ for a 3 foot cable, yay! All this talk about PS3 makes me sick. It's basically a media system. Games are more movie-like nowadays, you can't deny that. The "fun" has been gone for awhile, and this new generation of gamers has grown up on super realistic 3D games and basically judging a system solely by its graphic processor, especially when improperly comparing this system to PS3, or marketing it as a "glorified" GameCube.

Bottom line, the three systems are drastically different nowadays to the point where each one will have its own strengths, and 0 weaknesses unless you are comparing game to game, and even then, it's just a storage issue. BluRay has the best storage, disks are pricey. Anyone up for a 2,000 hour RPG? Not me. 360, PS3, and Wii all have something unique to offer, but the whining and moaning about the system not being good before it has even come out is so laughable. Some of these same people ridiculed the Nintendo DS and now I can't find any naysayers for that system at all.

Fighter17
09-14-2006, 07:25 PM
$250 with a pack in game, Nintendo is going to become king this winter!

ROBOTNIK666
09-14-2006, 07:54 PM
I was secretly hoping for under $200, but $250 is great. Even better, they actually have Wii Sports as a pack-in, which means I won't have to spend extra on games.

Garry Silljo
09-14-2006, 08:03 PM

If and when that becomes an issue, I'll give you a PM.

geneshifter
09-14-2006, 08:14 PM

If and when that becomes an issue, I'll give you a PM.

Cool beans :D

kainemaxwell
09-14-2006, 08:30 PM
I'm liking the price of the Wii so far and the fact that it has a packin game (which we haven't seen with a console laugh in years) is good. Will the classic controller be seperate too?

Trebuken
09-14-2006, 08:35 PM
This is almsot as bad as listening to people talk about the price of gas.

Anyways. The only point I have not heard mention is about Wii sports. This game is clearly packed intentionally to get 'Americans' (Japanese don't get the pack in), accustomed to the new controllers, and Nintendo's, hopefully successful, gimmick.

With Zelda as a launch title I doubt Wii sports will be much more than a demonstration, as it was at E3, though it might be fun for a few days...probably more so with a few people...

Later,
Trebuken

jonjandran
09-14-2006, 08:48 PM
If the Wii is backwards compatiable with Gamecube discs would that mean that the firmware modchips will work with it ?
Hmmmmmm :-P

Daniel Thomas
09-14-2006, 09:08 PM
I must admit that I was a little disappointed at the price. $250 sounds a bit much for an over-clocked Gamecube. Then, thankfully, I discovered that Wii Sports will be included as a pack-in game. That makes all the difference for me.

I thought $200 would be fine, so $250 for console and game works. This also, I think, situates Nintendo perfectly for when Microsoft or Sony start dropping the prices on their consoles. Sooner or later, Xbox will go down to $300 (let's just forget the cheaper versions, which are completely worthless). Nintendo should be able to either a) introduce the "core" package sans game, or b) bring the pack-in model under $200 or eventually $150.

Bottom line, the Wii console will always be significantly cheaper than the Xbox 360 and the SIX HUNDRED FUCKING DOLLARS.

Wii Sports is a perfect pack-in game. It's more of a show-off than anything, and lacks the serious depth to compete with other titles. You can't move the players in tennis, for example. So it won't dethrone Virtua Tennis. but as a pack-in, it's a great introduction to the Wii.

Complaints? Sure. $40 for Wiimote and $20 for Nunchuck? You have got to be bloody kidding me. $60 for a fucking game controller? Booooo!!!! What a rip-off. So now I have to start making tactical decisions about my money. I get a couple more Wiimotes for Wii Sports and Excite Truck and maybe Sonic (if it doesn't suck eggs as usual). Then, later on, I score a couple Nunchucks for Madden and Red Steel and Zelda.

Damn. They nickel-and-dime you to death, don't they?

So, here's the final tally. For $250, you get Nintendo Wii, one controller - Wiimote and Nunchuck, Wii Sports - Tennis, Golf, Home Run Derby, Bowling, Boxing, backwards compatibility with the Gamecube library, and online capabilities. That's a very good deal. I like that deal.

I think Nintendo is going to be very successful with Wii.

Crazycarl
09-14-2006, 09:14 PM
region free

wii sports (which i played and loved)

250 price

Wii channels

yea i'm happy.

LAGO
09-14-2006, 09:23 PM
A few things I have to note:

A big LOL to all the idiots that honestly thought Nintendo was going to just give away their NES, SNES, and N64 library for FREE on the Wii. Anyone with half a brain could see that would be a silly business decision on their part not to charge for their older properties.

A big WTF to ANYONE complaining about prices these days. The guy who wrote about inflation hit the nail on the head, $249.99 nowadays is nothing. At the very least we have an extra game. Nintendo also knows money is made off of extra accessories. Microsoft thrives off that. Check the NPD data for Microsoft 360 Wireless Controllers and see how many have been sold. Nintendo's are going to go through the roof as well.

Compare this $249.99 price point with the XBOX Core System at $299.99 with nothing, the $499.99 PS3 with nothing, or the higher end $399.99/$599.99 models of XBOX 360 and PS3.

This system is not meant to mimic these systems. Simplistic fun has all been forgotten these days and the Nintendo DS is a marvel at what Nintendo has been able to do to gaming. At the very least, they are not forgetting about games being fun instead of this hokey "I must be realistic trip with my 1080i/P HDTV with my HDMi Cables and High End BBQROFLMAO SuperTV OMG GRAPHICS RoxoRs systems."

I mean, I even saw people complaining about cables in this thread. You realize an HDMi is nothing more than glorified component cables centralized down to one port for easier, cleaner access? Let's go out and pay $100+ for a 3 foot cable, yay! All this talk about PS3 makes me sick. It's basically a media system. Games are more movie-like nowadays, you can't deny that. The "fun" has been gone for awhile, and this new generation of gamers has grown up on super realistic 3D games and basically judging a system solely by its graphic processor, especially when improperly comparing this system to PS3, or marketing it as a "glorified" GameCube.

Bottom line, the three systems are drastically different nowadays to the point where each one will have its own strengths, and 0 weaknesses unless you are comparing game to game, and even then, it's just a storage issue. BluRay has the best storage, disks are pricey. Anyone up for a 2,000 hour RPG? Not me. 360, PS3, and Wii all have something unique to offer, but the whining and moaning about the system not being good before it has even come out is so laughable. Some of these same people ridiculed the Nintendo DS and now I can't find any naysayers for that system at all.

Preach it brother!

Hep038
09-14-2006, 09:30 PM
After reading some of the posts in this thread I guess I should fork over my 249.99 to nintendo and kiss their boots they charged me next to nothing to let me buy their system.

I think 249.99 is a good price point, I just find it sad people are being told not to express their opinions about the price of the console. But there are 100 page threads on the price of PS3 and the 360. :roll:

geneshifter
09-14-2006, 11:15 PM
After reading some of the posts in this thread I guess I should fork over my 249.99 to nintendo and kiss their boots they charged me next to nothing to let me buy their system.

I think 249.99 is a good price point, I just find it sad people are being told not to express their opinions about the price of the console. But there are 100 page threads on the price of PS3 and the 360. :roll:

Preach it brother

klausien
09-14-2006, 11:55 PM

Remote - $40
Nunchuk - $20

This is bullshit. No game system in history, at least as far as I know, has shipped without some way to control it. One controller is an expected part of the price, not an extra.

Pack in games shouldn't be considered extras to take away from the cost, either. It's still $250.

Twisted logic to ram home the point that complaining about the price of the Wii is completely unfounded and quite frankly, unrealistic. Of course I am aware that all systems must come with a controller. I am not a dumba$$. The main reason for my breakdown, which seems to have been lost, was that the system itself, when you add what the controller costs to the total, minus the pack-in game priced at what the consensus feels it is worth comes to approximately $200.

I did F-up what I was saying though. Edit button would have saved me there. It was supposed to be $190-$35=$155. Add the $60 back in and you get $215, which is close enough to $199.99 to say it is basically a $200 system at launch; which is truly unheard of. Confused myself. Not the best way to make a point.

The pack-in game, which has been completely absent from a LAUNCH product for over a decade, really is an extra at this point. One you are paying for, yes, but an extra nonetheless. In the case of Wii Sports, why not throw the tech demos in there for free? It would have been a waste not to.

I was also trying to emphasize that the $60 you are paying for the controller is more important than the $155 for the console itself. The little white box really doesn't matter all that much. It might be worth even less if you consider the fact that the sensor, which will most likely not be packaged with extra controllers, is part of the package.

DreamTR said it all much better in his less convoluted post. I have had a lot of pent up energy about this for a while and it exploded in my that post. I haven't been this excited about a system launch since the SNES.

Crazycarl
09-15-2006, 12:03 AM

Remote - $40
Nunchuk - $20

Twisted logic to ram home the point that complaining about the price of the Wii is completely unfounded and quite frankly, unrealistic. Of course I am aware that all systems must come with a controller. I am not a dumba$$. The main reason for my breakdown, which seems to have been lost, was that the system itself, when you add what the controller costs to the total, minus the pack-in game priced at what the consensus feels it is worth comes to approximately $200.

I did F-up what I was saying though. Edit button would have saved me there. It was supposed to be $190-$35=$155. Add the $60 back in and you get $215, which is close enough to $199.99 to say it is basically a $200 system at launch; which is truly unheard of. Confused myself. Not the best way to make a point.

The pack-in game, which has been completely absent from a LAUNCH product for over a decade, really is an extra at this point. One you are paying for, yes, but an extra nonetheless. In the case of Wii Sports, why not throw the tech demos in there for free? It would have been a waste not to.

I was also trying to emphasize that the $60 you are paying for the controller is more important than the $155 for the console itself. The little white box really doesn't matter all that much. It might be worth even less if you consider the fact that the sensor, which will most likely not be packaged with extra controllers, is part of the package.

DreamTR said it all much better in his less convoluted post. I have had a lot of pent up energy about this for a while and it exploded in my that post. I haven't been this excited about a system launch since the SNES.

it dosn't matter. their is alwasy somebody ready to bitch about anything. be happy and don't care about them.

Crazycarl
09-15-2006, 12:03 AM

Remote - $40
Nunchuk - $20

it dosn't matter. their is alwasy somebody ready to bitch about anything. be happy and don't care about them.

SkiDragon
09-15-2006, 12:14 AM
Ok, I guess the price of the console isn't too bad, but the controller price definitely is. I would forgive one for being expensive and not the other, but now both seem to be rather pricey. Even though the controller is innovative, there is not really enough going on there to justify a $60 price. And the console on its own is also not worth the 250-60 ($190) price.
I wonder if we will see third party controllers, or at least numchuck attachments or "classic" controllers.

The virtual console games are too much but I was never interested in that in the first place. Not a fan of emulation.

I already am first in line on a reservation, so now it's a question whether I keep it or ebay it. I kinda hope it sells out and can get me a nice profit.

Icarus Moonsight
09-15-2006, 04:56 AM
X_x Bitching about the cheapest next gen console being overpriced?!? *whine* Oh noes, it has a pack-in game that completely suits the new control scheme. Holy tamales... GET SOME PERSPECTIVE PEOPLE!

With that being said (sorry, couldn't help it), I am very pleased with Nintendo's announcement. November 19th is Wii Day YEA! Don't think I'll even need to preorder, with as many units as they are on track to run with there shouldn't be any shortage. Sorry eBayers :P Looks like y'all are gonna have to scalp PS3's and be happy with that.

Was rather shocked that a Japanese developed system will release in North America FIRST. @_@ Seriously, that just doesn't happen.

Region-free is also nice. Cheap as hell AND import friendly... all I can say is, "Wow, about damn time."

Now wth does Nintendo have planned for Wii/DS connectivity? :hmm: I'll bet it's real good :D

My last thought. Nintendo made us all some promises and managed to keep them all. Less than $250, check. 2006 release, check. Nunchuk included, check. Online service, check. Virtual Console games, check. Healthy stock at launch, check. Plus they are delivering things they never promised, such as a pack-in game. That is a HELL of alot better than the competition whom thrive on broken promises and missed marks, or at least it seems that way to me.

Daniel Thomas
09-15-2006, 06:28 AM
I think everybody was expecting this console to sell for $199 or less. All the hype has been on its "overclocked Gamecube" angle, so we expected things to be super-cheap.

From Nintendo's angle, they're the low man on the totem pole, price-wise, so they'll win with consumers against the competiton regardless. Better to rake in a little more profit now, since pretty much every Wii that hits the shelves (man, that just sounds wrong :P ) will sell out from now until next spring. If and when Microsoft institutes a price drop on the 360, Nintendo is perfectly situated to drop the price of Wii to keep the distance. Don't forget, there's also the option of a core system, sans game. I'd have to believe that would become an option at some point in the near future.

So Nintendo's pretty much in the driver's seat. They have the buzz, they have some really cool games, and they have the advantage with price. Microsoft and Sony (especially Sony, which is taking a bath) don't have that freedom, since they're both losing quite a bit of money on their consoles. Hmm. Perhaps the next generation technology is simply too expensive. In another age, it wouldn't be out of the question to postpone it another year. But that's all academic now.

And, yeah, I hear the complaints. The whole damn videogame industry is nickel-and-diming us to death. The extra controllers are going to be the thing that really hurts. I suppose we'll have to buy one here, one there, and build up piece-by-piece. Throw in $50 games - why we ever shell out more than $35 is beyond me - and even the Wii gets expensive. Hey, at least we're not talking about Sony, right?

Anyway, crew, if you want to head over to my blog, V - The Next Gen, I've been writing a few posts on what upcoming games I'm looking forward to this season. Obviously, the big-name titles like Zelda and Madden and Metroid will sell, but I'm curious to see what everyone else is really interested in.

ROBOTNIK666
09-15-2006, 08:05 AM
To all who complained about the launch price, here's something for you.
The Gamecube launch price was $199. Since many of you called the Wii a "souped-up Gamecube" I think it's worth paying $50 over the GCN launch price. And I say launch price, because in about six months the price will drop.

THATinkjar
09-15-2006, 09:18 AM
Nintendo have just announced that the Wii will launch in Europe on December the 8th for 179. I am very relieved that we'll be seeing the Wii this side of Christmas. As for the price, though - I am undecided as to what I think. At least Wii Sports is included, though.

It was also said that games will retail for around the 30 to 40 mark. I am also happy enough with this.

Overall, I am fairly happy. Microsoft must also be pretty pleased, too. But, as long as Nintendo do their job properly in educating the masses, then perhaps the price won't be an issue at all.

Slate
09-15-2006, 09:23 AM
Good to finally see the date and price.

And you know what, i don't care if it's $300 as long as it comes with two wiimotes, one standard controller, and the component cables.

This will be the first system i have bought at launch. 8-)

Nature Boy
09-15-2006, 09:58 AM
I personally think the pack-in game is a good idea, as I can't see it being *that* big of a seller on it's own, and this way they get software that shows off the system's uniqueness into the hands of every Wii owner.

The price also seems reasonable to me. As a Sony fan who isn't going to touch a $600 console unless he wins a lottery (and I'm not buying any tickets mind you), the idea of spending less than half that and getting a game to boot is exactly what they need to do to get my money.

The only launch games that jumped out at me though were games I've pegged for purchase for my current systems (Twilight Princess and Dual Agent).

I'll keep my eyes on the situation, see if I can find a game that excited me, and go from there, but at this point I'll wait until Halo 3 comes out, see what it's like, and *maybe* make the 360 my first next gen purchase. Maybe.

Lady Jaye
09-15-2006, 10:08 AM
BTW, the Canadian MSRP will be $279.99 and game MSRP will be $60.

I'm really, really interested by the Wii. BTW, there will be controller ports for GCN controllers on it. And Nintendo has announced a full backward compatibility with the GCN library (in comparison, how many Xbox games aren't compatible with the 360?). So if there are any incompatibility issues, they should be few and far between.

And if I get the Wii, one retro game I'm buying for sure is Paper Mario.

FantasiaWHT
09-15-2006, 10:45 AM
Three cheers for a system FINALLY coming with a pack-in game once more! Hurray!

:guitar: :hail: :cheers:

Kejoriv
09-15-2006, 11:10 AM
cant wait for it! I have a preorder at FYE. I wonder if the preorder people can get them earlier than 19th

PentiumMMX
09-15-2006, 11:16 AM
Wii is going to have a pack-in game? Too bad it wasn't sonething worth playing. But I have a solution for dealing with Wii Sports:

1. Buy a Wii
2. Tahe out Wii Sports (If it's sealed, then unwrap it)
3. Take it into Gamestop
4. Buy something you'd actualy play!

...Am I a genius or what?

Darren870
09-15-2006, 12:38 PM
Wii is going to have a pack-in game? Too bad it wasn't sonething worth playing. But I have a solution for dealing with Wii Sports:

1. Buy a Wii
2. Tahe out Wii Sports (If it's sealed, then unwrap it)
3. Take it into Gamestop
4. Buy something you'd actualy play!

...Am I a genius or what?

The trade in value is going to be like $5. Its going to be like the next mario/duck hunt.

Anyways

I am 100% pumped for this!

MrRoboto19XX
09-15-2006, 12:39 PM
I was thinking last night about the wii and its various capabilities, and this bit came up.

The wii mote with a nunchuck is essentially a gamecube controller, right? Analog stick, Z button, A, B, X, Y buttons and a D pad. This makes me think that for games requiring the nunchuck, the GC controller might be an option as a substitute controller.

Granted, this may just be a pipe dream, but Im positive that nintendo still has one or two surprises up their sleeve before launch.

jajaja
09-15-2006, 12:51 PM
Probly mentioned before, but Nintendo removed the possibility to play DVD movies on Wii. They did it to save money. No problem tho, most already have a DVD player, but i wonder how much extra it would cost if it could play DVD movies.

Kejoriv
09-15-2006, 01:15 PM
Probly mentioned before, but Nintendo removed the possibility to play DVD movies on Wii. They did it to save money. No problem tho, most already have a DVD player, but i wonder how much extra it would cost if it could play DVD movies.

exactly. so many people have dvd players. doesnt it really matter that it doesnt play dvds? How big are the discs though? Gamecube size?

jajaja
09-15-2006, 01:20 PM
I guess it still uses DVD, but just no support for playing movies.

DreamTR
09-15-2006, 01:21 PM
Robotnik wrote:

"The Gamecube launch price was $199. Since many of you called the Wii a "souped-up Gamecube" I think it's worth paying $50 over the GCN launch price. And I say launch price, because in about six months the price will drop."

Why would NIntendo drop the price to $199 before Summer? It's not like they have any competition price wise. Historically, competitors only drop their prices when they want a bigger jump on the market, (which Nintendo will have plenty of based on this price point), OR if a competitor drops the price themselves. Even if the core 360 drops to $249, Nintendo still will not drop this console price that soon, they have way too much to gain from being the cheapest system on the market with tons of downloadable exclusive titles, online capabilities, and of course, the whole games actually being fun and not a damned movie experience.

BrokenFlight
09-15-2006, 01:33 PM
I just thought I'd point something out to the people going for the "Wii60" choice, saying you can buy the two for the price of a PS3. You could actually have a PS3 and a good game for 460, as well as a high definition movie player and the same type of "revolutionary" controller as the Wii. Whereas with a "Wii60" you only have one crap game that almost no one wants and no next gen movie player.

Roll on the "troll" and "Sony fanboy" remarks. :roll:

Anthony1
09-15-2006, 01:37 PM
The Gamecube launch price was $199. Since many of you called the Wii a "souped-up Gamecube" I think it's worth paying $50 over the GCN launch price. And I say launch price, because in about six months the price will drop.

I actually completely disagree with your logic, and I congratulate you for making my following point for me. When the GameCube came out way back in the year 2001, it wasn't a souped up Nintendo 64. It was a real deal "Next-Gen" system. It had an advanced GPU from ATI, and a nice fast IBM processor. In fact, it was actually much more advanced than the PS2. Not quite as advanced as the Xbox 1, but quite a bit more advanced than the PS2. It sold for $199.99.

So here we are, 5 years later, and we get a system that is only "marginally" improved over the GameCube from a technological standpoint, and they are going to price the thing even higher. Now, I know what everybody is going to say, "But this time we get a pack in game!!" Well, yes, but does anybody really feel that Wii Sports is a true full featured game? Or is it a collection of little mini games that will keep us entertained for minutes upon minutes? lol. But seriously, as interested as I am in Wii Sports (it's actually the game I'm most interested in playing), I wouldn't want to spend more than $34.99 for it. Yet, with this package deal I have to pay $50 for it. And all this on top of the fact that the GameCube sells for $79.99 brand new, and the tech in the Wii is only marginally advanced beyond that. The fact of the matter is that Nintendo decided that they are going to make a profit from the very beginning, a healthy profit I might add. The only reason they can get away with it, is because both Microsoft and Sony are going in a totally different, and much more expensive direction.

Here is a quote from your boy Reggie:

"We will make a profit on the entire Wii proposition out of the box--hardware and software," Fils-Aime told Reuters. "That really is a very different philosophy versus our competitors. "

I would be shocked if they wouldn't be making a nice little profit with the exact same package at $199.99. Pack in included. But they want an even greater profit, and their focus group testing has shown that the system will sell just fine at $249.99 so why not make even more money. It's like you guys are celebrating the fact that Nintendo is going to make even more money off of you, I don't get it.

Also, please don't start with the "Oh, Anthony1, just go back to playing on your big HDTV's and your RGB's and your 7.1 sound, all we are interested in doing is having fun with our Wii's and we don't want your elite ass coming in here and ruining our party". If people want to have this misguided opinion of me, fine, go the fuck ahead. I'm still getting a Wii on day 1, and I will be playing some Wii Sports Tennis, and I'm sure I'll be enjoying it, but that doesn't change the fact that it's an overpriced GameCube 1.5 and that Nintendo is milking me for everything I got with the fact that I'm going to have to pay an additional $60 just to get an extra controller, and probably another $30 to get a component cable. All of a sudden this so called "cheap console" is going to cost me $366.31 with tax. I don't consider $367 to be cheap. I'm still getting it, and I'm sure I'll still enjoy it, but let's stop pretending this is cheap or some super great deal.

Fighter17
09-15-2006, 01:41 PM
Also, please don't start with the "Oh, Anthony1, just go back to playing on your big HDTV's and your RGB's and your 7.1 sound, all we are interested in doing is having fun with our Wii's and we don't want your elite ass coming in here and ruining our party". If people want to have this misguided opinion of me, fine, go the fuck ahead. I'm still getting a Wii on day 1, and I will be playing some Wii Sports Tennis, and I'm sure I'll be enjoying it, but that doesn't change the fact that it's an overpriced GameCube 1.5 and that Nintendo is milking me for everything I got with the fact that I'm going to have to pay an additional $60 just to get an extra controller, and probably another $30 to get a component cable. All of a sudden this so called "cheap console" is going to cost me $366.31 with tax. I don't consider $367 to be cheap. I'm still getting it, and I'm sure I'll still enjoy it, but let's stop pretending this is cheap or some super great deal.

I consider $367 cheap compair to $599 for a PS3 without any extra stuff. For $367 with a extra controller and component cables, plus a free game, that's good.

Anthony1
09-15-2006, 01:53 PM
I consider $367 cheap compair to $599 for a PS3 without any extra stuff. For $367 with a extra controller and component cables, plus a free game, that's good.

Damn, you must be making a heckuva lot more $$$ than me, because in my neck of the woods, $367 isn't cheap by any stretch of the imagination. Heck, even $199.99 wouldn't be cheap to me, it would be understandable, but it wouldn't be cheap. Now, if the Wii was $149.99 and had Wii Sports packed in, then that would be cheap. I would actually consider that cheap, but $367 for the Wii and extra controller and component cables isn't cheap.

I guess I need to find a new job, because $249.99 isn't cheap to me. It might be cheaper than the alternatives, but you can't compare them directly. 2 of them are next-gen and 1 of them isn't. It's like comparing apples to oranges.

Nature Boy
09-15-2006, 02:06 PM
and that Nintendo is milking me for everything I got

How can you rant on the one hand about people having a bad opinion of you and then come right out and say your buying something even though you think you're getting taken to the cleaners? How can I have a good opinion of someone who just blindly buys whatever the industry wants to sell him? You're a freaking Lemming! (and that's the bad kind, corrupt from sequelitis, not the good "hey check out this new game Lemmings" kind).

Lady Jaye
09-15-2006, 02:09 PM
As others have pointed out, the Wii's price point is actually faithful to traditional console launch prices (and that's without accounting for the inflation of the past 20 or 30 years). It's the same thing EVERY SINGLE TIME a new console comes out: at first, its MSRP is at a premium price point.

If you wanna game on the cheap, you should never opt to be an early adopter. That was true 20 years ago (in the late 80s, those of us who couldn't afford a NES or whose parents refused to pay that much money for videogames, gamed on their old Atari 2600 or Colecovision) and it's still true today. You don't wanna dish out a few hundred dollars for a brand-new, just-released system? Stick with the previous generation of systems (GCN, PS2, Xbox) and wait for a couple of years before upgrading.

I really don't see what's the fuss with the Wii's launch price, especially when compared to the X360 and PS3's MSRP.

jajaja
09-15-2006, 02:14 PM
It feels like Nintendo hyped the price to be damn cheap, but when the price got out many got pissed and "shocked". So if you have to pay ~$350 to be able to play 2 player, its not cheap anymore. Compared to PS3 its cheap yes, but in generaly and how Nintendo was promoting the cheap price (before it got known) its not cheap.

I never really understood the phrase milking tho. If you dont want to spend the money on something, just dont buy it. Its actually that simple :)

jajaja
09-15-2006, 02:18 PM
But $249 for the console itself isnt a bad price i'd say.

norkusa
09-15-2006, 02:24 PM
Wii is going to have a pack-in game? Too bad it wasn't sonething worth playing.

Wow, you really know allot about a game that you've never played before. What other unreleased games aren't worth playing?

Anthony1
09-15-2006, 02:26 PM

How can you rant on the one hand about people having a bad opinion of you and then come right out and say your buying something even though you think you're getting taken to the cleaners? How can I have a good opinion of someone who just blindly buys whatever the industry wants to sell him?

You can have whatever opinion of me you want. And I'm not saying that I'm getting taken to the cleaners, it's just all this shit adds up, and adds up quick. You start off with the base price of $249.99 and that's not too bad, but of course my little boys are going to want to play, and they are going to need two controllers, so now, I'm pretty much forced to buy a second controller or deal with the wrath of my little boys being dissapointed that they can't play too. So then you add a extra Wii-mote $39.99 and a extra Nunchaku $19.99, and I might as well view it in 480p, assuming some of the games run in 480p, so I might as well get the component cables $29.99 (I'm guessing they'll be $29.99 hopefully it's not even more than that). Then the guy at the counter starts ringing everything up, and whoila, He says, "That will be $366.31 sir".

Certainly, nobody is holding a gun to my head forcing me to buy it, but come on, you need a second controller unless you live all by yourself. I have two little boys that are both going to want to play, Heck, I might actually have to get 3 extra controllers so my wife can play as well, and we can play doubles. So I might actually get into the $400 range. Damn, now it's really starting to get pricey! @_@

BrokenFlight
09-15-2006, 02:41 PM
No, it's not bad.

But it's going to be $340 for the same pack over here.

The remote RRP is 30 and the nunchuck RRP is 15. 45 ($85) for a controller isn't good value.

jajaja
09-15-2006, 02:49 PM
No, it's not bad.

But it's going to be $340 for the same pack over here.

The remote RRP is 30 and the nunchuck RRP is 15. 45 ($85) for a controller isn't good value.

Ye, same here. Price in Europe is set to 249 euro which is about 330 US dollars. Im sure its more like like $380 in my country, and that is just for the console itself.

Anthony1
09-15-2006, 02:54 PM
Why are you limiting it only to Nintendo consoles. the Genesis launched at $250 remember? So did the Atari 2600 . And I remember buying my Turbografx-16 at launch for the same amount as well!

Your location says Seattle, did you live in another country back in 1989? Here in the U.S. the Genesis launched at $189.99 with Altered Beast as the pack in. The TurboGrafx-16 launched at $189.99 too, I think, or maybe it was $179.99, with Keith Courage in Alpha Zones as the pack in. I know it was either $189.99 or less. The Turbo came out in August of 1989 and the Genesis came out in September of 1989. I remember it pretty well, because I bought my TG-16 that December, and I got a Genesis in February of 1990.

jajaja
09-15-2006, 03:03 PM
Well, $250 in 1978 (or when 2600 got released) was alot more money than it is today. Same goes for Genesis in 1989.

Lady Jaye
09-15-2006, 03:04 PM
http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

If your console cost you 179.99 in 1989, it'd cost 295.97 in 2006 dollars.

LAGO
09-15-2006, 03:57 PM

How can you rant on the one hand about people having a bad opinion of you and then come right out and say your buying something even though you think you're getting taken to the cleaners? How can I have a good opinion of someone who just blindly buys whatever the industry wants to sell him?

You can have whatever opinion of me you want. And I'm not saying that I'm getting taken to the cleaners, it's just all this shit adds up, and adds up quick. You start off with the base price of $249.99 and that's not too bad, but of course my little boys are going to want to play, and they are going to need two controllers, so now, I'm pretty much forced to buy a second controller or deal with the wrath of my little boys being dissapointed that they can't play too. So then you add a extra Wii-mote $39.99 and a extra Nunchaku $19.99, and I might as well view it in 480p, assuming some of the games run in 480p, so I might as well get the component cables $29.99 (I'm guessing they'll be $29.99 hopefully it's not even more than that). Then the guy at the counter starts ringing everything up, and whoila, He says, "That will be $366.31 sir".

Certainly, nobody is holding a gun to my head forcing me to buy it, but come on, you need a second controller unless you live all by yourself. I have two little boys that are both going to want to play, Heck, I might actually have to get 3 extra controllers so my wife can play as well, and we can play doubles. So I might actually get into the $400 range. Damn, now it's really starting to get pricey! @_@

Ok, you're complaining about a price point because of all the extra shit you want to buy ... not the actual $249.99 price point.

Anthony1
09-15-2006, 04:15 PM
Ok, you're complaining about a price point because of all the extra shit you want to buy ... not the actual $249.99 price point.

We are now towards the end of page 6 of this thread. If you check the first 5 pages, you'll see that I've complained about the $249.99 price as well LOL

Since you obviously haven't read all that, here is a synopsis of it:

Seriously though, it's not that the $249.99 price is so horrible in and of itself, it's the fact that Nintendo has been going on and on about how cheap this thing was going to be, and how it would be so affordable to attrack a mass audience, and how it would be below $250. Well, they got 1 penny below $250, so I guess they really followed through on that, but you know what I mean. They kept bragging about how their console was going to be so cheap, and then it ends up more expensive than the GameCube. I think the GameCube is a great comparison, because alot of people are talking about inflation, and I really don't think inflation has been that huge in the last 5 years. Also, the GameCube was brand new technology, it wasn't a Nintendo 64 1.5. It was brand new, state of the art technology at the time it was released, technology aimed at going head to head with the PS2 and Xbox 1. While the Nintendo Wii is essentially a souped up GameCube. Even Nintendo themselves will admit that the Wii is a suped up GameCube. The GameCube sells brand new for $79.99 and I would guess they are making a small profit on that $79.99 version. So if you consider that, they are making a pretty huge profit on this $249.99 package.

From a business standpoint, you have to hand it to them, they know that plenty of people will buy it at $249.99 and they are making a very good profit from the very beginning. I just wished they gave us the option to get the system by itself for $199.99. If the system was available by itself for $199.99, I really wouldn't have anything negative to say at all. I guess I thought that $199.99 was guaranteed, so the $249.99 thing caught me off guard. As for Wii Sports, I think it's a $34.99 value, and I don't buy games, I rent them, so I would have never bought it. For me, I'm paying $50 more than I would want to, $50 that would have gone towards getting a extra controller and a component cable.

Garry Silljo
09-15-2006, 04:26 PM

We are now towards the end of page 6 of this thread. If you check the first 5 pages, you'll see that I've complained about the $249.99 price as well LOL

Maybe people would read your rants more closely if you didnt have to write a god damn novel every post. I don't blame anyone who skims past your endless babble.

SkiDragon
09-15-2006, 04:42 PM

By that logic, if the Wii is 100x as powerful as the NES, we should all pay $20,000 for it.

Technology makes these things cheaper. That's why Gamecubes go for $80-$100 now.

eggwolio
09-15-2006, 04:48 PM
Technology makes these things cheaper. That's why Gamecubes go for $80-$100 now.

Well, that and the fact they removed the digital video port.

LAGO
09-15-2006, 04:50 PM

Seriously though, it's not that the $249.99 price is so horrible in and of itself, it's the fact that Nintendo has been going on and on about how cheap this thing was going to be, and how it would be so affordable to attrack a mass audience, and how it would be below $250. Well, they got 1 penny below $250, so I guess they really followed through on that, but you know what I mean. They kept bragging about how their console was going to be so cheap, and then it ends up more expensive than the GameCube. I think the GameCube is a great comparison, because alot of people are talking about inflation, and I really don't think inflation has been that huge in the last 5 years. Also, the GameCube was brand new technology, it wasn't a Nintendo 64 1.5. It was brand new, state of the art technology at the time it was released, technology aimed at going head to head with the PS2 and Xbox 1. While the Nintendo Wii is essentially a souped up GameCube. Even Nintendo themselves will admit that the Wii is a suped up GameCube. The GameCube sells brand new for $79.99 and I would guess they are making a small profit on that $79.99 version. So if you consider that, they are making a pretty huge profit on this $249.99 package.

From a business standpoint, you have to hand it to them, they know that plenty of people will buy it at $249.99 and they are making a very good profit from the very beginning. I just wished they gave us the option to get the system by itself for $199.99. If the system was available by itself for $199.99, I really wouldn't have anything negative to say at all. I guess I thought that $199.99 was guaranteed, so the $249.99 thing caught me off guard. As for Wii Sports, I think it's a $34.99 value, and I don't buy games, I rent them, so I would have never bought it. For me, I'm paying $50 more than I would want to, $50 that would have gone towards getting a extra controller and a component cable.

Actually I have read all 6 pages of the thread. I also know that you've basically been complaining about the price from the get go, but your latter argument seems to be honed on all the extra stuff you have to buy to play it instead of the $249.99 price point.

Ok so Nintendo's new system has a slight graphics upgrade, but I wouldn't necessarily call it GC 1.5. The freaking controller is motion detectable. That in itself changes the scope of playable games.

Also if you compare prices to the other current gen system that is uot now, the 360, it is cheap. $250 + game vs. $400 - game. You could even put it up against the core system and it would still be cheaper.

I just don't understand how come people aer complaining about how expensive something is when it happens to be $150 cheaper than the closest competitor.

Nature Boy
09-15-2006, 04:55 PM
Certainly, nobody is holding a gun to my head forcing me to buy it, but come on, you need a second controller unless you live all by yourself. I have two little boys that are both going to want to play, Heck, I might actually have to get 3 extra controllers so my wife can play as well, and we can play doubles. So I might actually get into the $400 range. Damn, now it's really starting to get pricey!

Nobody *needs* anything. If the price of that second through fourth controller is too much money and you don't feel right buying the system without them (the kind of decision I applaud - knowing up front how much the whole thing will cost to make you satisfied) then, well, DON'T BUY THE SYSTEM. Wait for a deal (we all know they're coming, right?). You've got a 360, don't you? Spend a fraction of the cost of the Wii and buy yourself a couple of games you can play with your family!

If we all act like consumers we should win because they'll have to charge what we'll pay. If we all act like cheese eating fanboys who have to buy the next Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft machine just because it's out then they win because we'll end up paying whatever they want us to.

bunbunz23
09-15-2006, 05:00 PM
I really believe the price is fair compared to the other next gen systems. Nintendo stuck by it word stating the Wii will be cheap and I believe it is cheap comparing it to Xbox 360 and PS3. The pack in game is okay with me becuase not everyone will be able to buy the system and a 50 dollar game. It sucks on Christmas to get a new game system and have no game to play becuase you parents can afford only so much. That was the feeling I had when my parent bought me a SNES system without Super Mario World for my 13th birthday but could not afford a game.

Garry Silljo
09-15-2006, 05:48 PM
I really believe the price is fair compared to the other next gen systems. Nintendo stuck by it word stating the Wii will be cheap and I believe it is cheap comparing it to Xbox 360 and PS3. The pack in game is okay with me becuase not everyone will be able to buy the system and a 50 dollar game. It sucks on Christmas to get a new game system and have no game to play becuase you parents can afford only so much. That was the feeling I had when my parent bought me a SNES system without Super Mario World for my 13th birthday but could not afford a game.

Thank you for mentioning that. I keep saying that having ANY pack in title is a great idea. I hated when they stopped doing it and I hope it becomes the standard again.

CosmicMonkey
09-15-2006, 05:55 PM
http://play-nintendo.com/news/images/wiikiosk.jpg

Official Demo Kiosk mock-up.

DreamTR
09-15-2006, 05:56 PM
Anthony1: If the system is too much, and your kids want controllers and the latest games and it "adds" up as you say, try comparing that to the "additional" costs of extras for any next gen system. My advice to anyone "complaining" about the price being expensive, and still bringing up the graphics remark, go buy a PS2, XBOX, or GameCube, and wait 5 years for the Wii to go down to $80 like the GameCube.

A NEW system by definition is going to be expensive. This system's new technology and extra features make it worth the price. It has technology that brings back the FUN in gaming just like the DS. The DS is weaker technology wise than the PSP, but how fun is that little handheld??? Exactly. You'll regret NOT buying a Wii.

klausien
09-15-2006, 06:04 PM
I was thinking last night about the wii and its various capabilities, and this bit came up.

The wii mote with a nunchuck is essentially a gamecube controller, right? Analog stick, Z button, A, B, X, Y buttons and a D pad. This makes me think that for games requiring the nunchuck, the GC controller might be an option as a substitute controller.

Granted, this may just be a pipe dream, but Im positive that nintendo still has one or two surprises up their sleeve before launch.

Not going to happen for the same reason that StarFox Command on the DS is stylus only. It is a cop out and defeats the purpose. For instance, Zelda will not work with a GC pad on Wii. It may be possible to play GC games with the remote/nunchuck combo, but why would you? That is doubtful anyway as that it what the classic controller is for.

One thing they haven't talked about much is DS connectivity. You know it will be part fo the deal. It should definitely function as a controller for NES & SNES game.

09-15-2006, 06:25 PM
One thing they haven't talked about much is DS connectivity. You know it will be part fo the deal. It should definitely function as a controller for NES & SNES game.

Maybe even act as a way to take your NES or SNES games with you. Sort of like an iTunes iPod thing.

Kid Ice
09-15-2006, 06:31 PM
Seriously though, it's not that the $249.99 price is so horrible in and of itself, it's the fact that Nintendo has been going on and on about how cheap this thing was going to be, and how it would be so affordable to attrack a mass audience, and how it would be below $250. Well, they got 1 penny below $250, so I guess they really followed through on that, but you know what I mean.

Do ya?

So...uhhh....you were wrong, but we "know what you mean". OK. And if you expect a state of the art console to sell for less than $200 at launch, you're just stupid. OK?

They kept bragging about how their console was going to be so cheap, and then it ends up more expensive than the GameCube.

Did they?

The console costs fifty dollars more. Gas costs three times as much. Go figure.

I think the GameCube is a great comparison, because alot of people are talking about inflation, and I really don't think inflation has been that huge in the last 5 years.

Do ya?

If YOU don't think inflation has been that huge, I guess that means to the rest of us that it hasn't.

Also, the GameCube was brand new technology, it wasn't a Nintendo 64 1.5. It was brand new, state of the art technology at the time it was released, technology aimed at going head to head with the PS2 and Xbox 1.

Was it?

IIRC Nintendo said the exact opposite.

While the Nintendo Wii is essentially a souped up GameCube. Even Nintendo themselves will admit that the Wii is a suped up GameCube.

Is it?

If you can show me a place where Nintendo admits this I will send you my boxed Vectrex 3D imager. And all my boxed VCS games. And my Radiant Silvergun. And my testicles.

The GameCube sells brand new for $79.99 and I would guess they are making a small profit on that $79.99 version. So if you consider that, they are making a pretty huge profit on this $249.99 package.

Does it?

Uhhh....huh?

From a business standpoint, you have to hand it to them, they know that plenty of people will buy it at $249.99 and they are making a very good profit from the very beginning.

Do they?

Yes! So what is the other standpoint they are supposed to be looking at this with?

I just wished they gave us the option to get the system by itself for $199.99.

Do ya?

I wish I could get just the white shiny case for $30 with no internals, cables or anything else. Oh well I guess Nintendo fucked me.

If the system was available by itself for $199.99, I really wouldn't have anything negative to say at all.

Would ya?

I would. I think they should sell it for a dollar.

I guess I thought that $199.99 was guaranteed, so the $249.99 thing caught me off guard.

Do ya?

I mean imagine, it's $50 more than you speculated. Perish the thought. Guess what...the PS3 is about $300 more than I expected.

As for Wii Sports, I think it's a $34.99 value, and I don't buy games, I rent them,

Do ya?

So according to this math the system is now $15 above your expectations. If you ask me "Wii Sports" is *absolutely worthless* (but still better than a demo disc), and the system itself is well worth what they are asking.

so I would have never bought it.

Wouldn't ya have?

For me, I'm paying $50 more than I would want to, $50 that would have gone towards getting a extra controller and a component cable.

Would it?

Let's have Nintendo price everything around what *you* would buy. Frankly I don't see very many children sitting around the Christmas tree crying because there's no component cable. It's a toy for kids, dummy.

jajaja
09-15-2006, 06:32 PM
I really believe the price is fair compared to the other next gen systems. Nintendo stuck by it word stating the Wii will be cheap and I believe it is cheap comparing it to Xbox 360 and PS3. The pack in game is okay with me becuase not everyone will be able to buy the system and a 50 dollar game.

Here in Europe (atleast where i live) the core version of the 360 is already cheaper than what the Wii will launch at. The core version is now at about $300 and the Wii will cost cost about $330 - $380 here when it gets out, i can guarantee that 99%. The premium version is about $465, so if Wii launches at $380, its not really that big of a price difference. The PS3 pre-order price is currently at $860 tho hehe ;)

I agree that the pack in game is great! I wonder why they stopped with this in the first place. Possibly to cut the costs, but still..

s1lence
09-15-2006, 06:54 PM
Well said Kid Ice LOL

Anthony1 is making all sorts of friends today.

ty896
09-15-2006, 07:19 PM
In my mind Nintendo is on track to deliver more than anyone could have expected 2 years ago.

This is NEW technology people. Maybe it's all hype, but this isn't Sony so it may very well not be.

Why shouldn't Nintendo make a 'healthy' profit off the early adopters? The fact is, if the big N deliverers the Wii in the numbers forcasted, ANYONE will be able to walk into a store and for $290 get everything (system, cables, Wiimote & 'chuck, Wii Sports and extra Wiimote) you need for a great NEW experience for you and a buddy. [I assume you won't need an extra 'chuck to play tennis]

This is important, the numbers that is, because if you think you can just assume that $600 will get you a PS3 for Xmas...well I hope you have a direct line to the fat man at the pole.

Common sense should tell you that by the time the Ebay profiteers take their cut, the AVERAGE price for that $600 PS3 is going to be much closer to $1000, if not much higher.

<HR>

Now having said all this, I doubt very much that I will get one at launch. I haven't ruled it out, but if Anthony1's prediction of a 360 core price drop comes true...well I really want to play Dead Rising.

If not at launch, then with the first price drop or maybe a new color. Are the extra Wiimotes going to be available in colors?

I did buy a DS at launch, still have it, still love it. But I remember that first $20 drop came pretty fast. It would not have killed me to wait.

But for those of you who feel Nintendo is gouging you with the whole profit thing...the flaw in Anthony1's logic is that MS is already losing money pretty fast on the 360. If anyone will be in a position to lower prices in the near to mid term, it will most likely be a company that has positive margins to soften the blow of reduced revenue.

kainemaxwell
09-15-2006, 08:02 PM
Hell, far as we know also Nintendo could come out with the basic Wii 6 months from now. :)

norkusa
09-15-2006, 09:32 PM
I think it's kinda funny that people are saying they're surprised at the price. Nintendo said it was going to be under $250. Did anyone here honestly think that didn't mean $249.99?

Garry Silljo
09-15-2006, 09:48 PM
I think it's kinda funny that people are saying they're surprised at the price. Nintendo said it was going to be under $250. Did anyone here honestly think that didn't mean $249.99?

I was more or less hoping for 249.98 or even 249.95, but those damn jerks think they deserve to profit off of their products. Bastards. Every Penny counts and now I can't handle and an extra cent or six. Damn them for packing in a game, I really wanted to buy it cheaper and then just have a new shaped Gamecube and no Wii games. Damn Shame this pricing.

For the stupid, that's sarcasm up there.

swlovinist
09-15-2006, 10:29 PM
The bottom line is that the system is still the cheapest choice of the next gen of systems. I guess if people want to bitch about the price, then they can just stick with their 360 or buy a PS3. The Wii will be a good system, and will be at least heavily supported by Nintendo. There is alot of bitching about the system, and I guess everyone has an opinion on this one. I dont care about people's opinions, as long as they stay out of my way when I go and pick one of these up on day one. The best thing to do when a price is too high is to simply not buy it. I have chosen this system as my system to buy this holiday.

Pico956
09-15-2006, 11:29 PM
What's up with Gamestop not taking pre orders for systems, but only taking them for the games?

s1lence
09-15-2006, 11:47 PM
What's up with Gamestop not taking pre orders for systems, but only taking them for the games?

Probably because they need to figure out the allocation of systems per store and what bundles are going to be made avalible.

FantasiaWHT
09-16-2006, 12:04 AM
It feels like Nintendo hyped the price to be damn cheap,

Nintendo hyped the price to be "no more than $250"

NintenDk
09-16-2006, 12:39 AM

well theres your answer mr. creepy avatar up top.

Anthony1
09-16-2006, 12:40 AM
Man, you guys are giving my takes way too much run. I know your reactions are all negative towards my takes, but still. You really shouldn't be giving me this kind of run. I practically feel like some kind of celebrity or something. Why do you guys care so much about what I think? I'm just one more opinion in a sea of assholes, and my opinion doesn't matter one iota. So if I come on here, and make a comment about something, you can take a look at it, and agree or disagree, but why is this thread turning into a "Let's see what Anthony1 has to say next and thing gang up on his ass and try to poke holes in every one of his comments".

If I really bother you people so much, your best reaction would be to totally ignore me until I go away. I also find it kinda funny that there is so much vitriol in regards to all my takes considering I'm one of the people that is actually going to be buying a Wii on day 1. Sure, I might be bitching a bit about this or that, but the bottom line is on Day 1, I'll be standing there, handing over $366.31 to somebody in front of a cash register, and I'll be walking out of the store, with my Wii, my component cable, and my extra Wii-mote and Nonchaku. I'll drive straight home, plug the shit in, and immediately start playing some Wii Tennis. Then after that I'll probably try out the Golf game. It looks pretty sweet.

Again, you can complain about something Sony is doing, and you will get patted on your back, you can complain about Microsoft, and you'll get alot of "here, here's", but you complain about Nintendo in any way, shape or form, and you get nothing but vilification and revilement from the house that Mario built, and it's millions of converts which a good percentage seem to reside on these boards. People think I'm anti-Nintendo or something, yet I'm going to be contributing $366.31 of my hard earned money to them, the first day that it's possible. I've stated a million times that the SNES is my favorite system of all time, and that does happen to be a Nintendo system. Remember when we did the votes for the DP top 100 games? Well, my top 15 picks were filled with Nintendo's finest. I can love a company, and respect a company, but I can complain about something as well. Sure, I would love to just get the system and the controller for $199, but that isn't going to happen, this is a thread discussing all about that, and I can voice my opinion about it, and I don't understand why I'm just getting hammered over it. Oh well, if I'm the guy you love to hate I guess it's better than being the guy you totally ignore. :/

boatofcar
09-16-2006, 12:45 AM
Man, you guys are giving my takes way too much run. I know your reactions are all negative towards my takes, but still. You really shouldn't be giving me this kind of run. I practically feel like some kind of celebrity or something. Why do you guys care so much about what I think? I'm just one more opinion in a sea of assholes, and my opinion doesn't matter one iota. So if I come on here, and make a comment about something, you can take a look at it, and agree or disagree, but why is this thread turning into a "Let's see what Anthony1 has to say next and thing gang up on his ass and try to poke holes in every one of his comments".

So you type these dissertations and you don't want people to respond? That's pretty silly.

norkusa
09-16-2006, 12:50 AM

well theres your answer mr. creepy avatar up top.

Same difference. "No more than $250" or "Less than $250" is always going to be $249.99.

If Nintendo planned to sell it for $199.99, they would have said "no more than $200".

Anthony1
09-16-2006, 12:51 AM
So you type these dissertations and you don't want people to respond? That's pretty silly.[/quote]

I don't mind people responding, that's what takes are all about. You put your takes out there, and people react to them. But it seems the reactions are so much based on what's in the actual takes, and alot of times some key things in my takes are being totally ignored. Many are only focusing on anything negative I have to say, and completely ignoring the fact that I'm still going to be in line buying this thing on day 1. I mean really....If I hated Nintendo so much, and if I hated the Wii so much would I be buying one? Hell no. I'm buying one, cause I'm excited about the Wii, and what gaming goodness it might hold, but that doesn't mean I can't complain about certain aspects of it, and everyone is just focusing 100 percent on anything negative I have to say, like Nintendo and the Wii can have absolutely no faults, and that it's the most perfect product of all time.

Garry Silljo
09-16-2006, 12:56 AM
If I really bother you people so much, your best reaction would be to totally ignore me until I go away. I also find it kinda funny that there is so much vitriol in regards to all my takes considering I'm one of the people that is actually going to be buying a Wii on day 1. Sure, I might be bitching a bit about this or that, but the bottom line is on Day 1, I'll be standing there, handing over $366.31 to somebody in front of a cash register, and I'll be walking out of the store, with my Wii, my component cable, and my extra Wii-mote and Nonchaku. I'll drive straight home, plug the shit in, and immediately start playing some Wii Tennis. Then after that I'll probably try out the Golf game. It looks pretty sweet.

Eh, your only buying it on day one because your a damn snob who wants to brag that you get EVERYTHING on day one. If it was a $2,000 super machine that only played MineSweeper and nothing else, you would buy it on day one just to brag that you did, and in 8,000,000,000p to boot!

Anthony1
09-16-2006, 01:04 AM
Eh, your only buying it on day one because your a damn snob who wants to brag that you get EVERYTHING on day one. If it was a $2,000 super machine that only played MineSweeper and nothing else, you would buy it on day one just to brag that you did, and in 8,000,000,000p to boot!

Oh God, I just knew it would be my man Garry to play the "Snob Card". Look bro, you have a great disdain for me, and everybody on DP is well aware of that, you don't have to keep coming in with your snide remarks. Again, if you hate somebody, you actually "give" them power over you. Anytime you "hate" somebody, you are letting them know that they have power of you. I'm flattered to know that I mean so much to you.

Come here and let me give you a big kiss!!! :-P

Garry Silljo
09-16-2006, 01:12 AM

Oh God, I just knew it would be my man Garry to play the "Snob Card". Look bro, you have a great disdain for me, and everybody on DP is well aware of that, you don't have to keep coming in with your snide remarks. Again, if you hate somebody, you actually "give" them power over you. Anytime you "hate" somebody, you are letting them know that they have power of you. I'm flattered to know that I mean so much to you.

Come here and let me give you a big kiss!!! :-P

I'm not your man, and the only power you have is the power to disgust me. Nothing worth bragging about, but bragging is what you're all about so you'll take it I guess. I don't know why you think you mean a lot to me. All your name means to me is "warning: headache." That about sums it up.

SkiDragon
09-16-2006, 01:31 AM
Shut up.

The Shawn
09-16-2006, 07:44 AM
I find the price right about on-line.

Just want to point out that I was looking at my Intellivision box the other day from 1980 and it still has the price sticker on it. It says :Woolworth $249.99 And that was 26 years ago.
:D

geneshifter
09-16-2006, 09:44 AM
Have you guys seen the pcis of the Wii dev kits? No? Well, take a looksy:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/15/wii-developer-kit-shot-in-the-wild-many-luigi-green-with-envy/

I can't wait to get one of these off ebay :D

Crazycarl
09-16-2006, 10:17 AM
I just thought I'd point something out to the people going for the "Wii60" choice, saying you can buy the two for the price of a PS3. You could actually have a PS3 and a good game for 460, as well as a high definition movie player and the same type of "revolutionary" controller as the Wii. Whereas with a "Wii60" you only have one crap game that almost no one wants and no next gen movie player.

Roll on the "troll" and "Sony fanboy" remarks. :roll:

have u played the game. I did, and it was fun as hell. And as soon as everybody plays it they will be hooked on it forever.

Kid Ice
09-16-2006, 10:34 AM
If I really bother you people so much, your best reaction would be to totally ignore me until I go away.

I've been trying that for about three years now. It doesn't seem to be working.

geneshifter
09-16-2006, 11:16 AM
If I really bother you people so much, your best reaction would be to totally ignore me until I go away.

Ziiiiiiiiing LOL

FantasiaWHT
09-16-2006, 11:16 AM
All your name means to me is "warning: headache." That about sums it up.

Had to laugh at that one. If he gives you a headache don't waste your time reading his posts and posting in his threads.

NintenDk
09-16-2006, 07:44 PM
I like reading those long posts sometimes when I need to make time dissapear on the fly and theres just the right touch of irony to them every so often.

comrade
09-16-2006, 08:28 PM
Just to interupt the arguing.

Will I be able to use my 20" dell monitor with the wii? Using vga or something? I thought i might run into trouble because of the wiimote?

Jumpman Jr.
09-16-2006, 08:35 PM
I will be buying a Wii at launch, along with Twilight Princess.
$249 US is an amazing price for a console these days. If you don't like the price, don't buy it.
The price of the spare controllers is kind of high, but it isn't going to stop me from buying at least one.
Isn't a wireless 360 controller $50? What is the difference with the Wii?
Oh yeah, the Wii's controller is ubelievably innovative.

geneshifter
09-16-2006, 08:58 PM
Just to interupt the arguing.

Will I be able to use my 20" dell monitor with the wii? Using vga or something? I thought i might run into trouble because of the wiimote?

The system has a sensor bar to orient the controller in space so no worries!

Princess-Isabela
09-16-2006, 09:46 PM
the misleading concept on these boards by some people is that they are calling Wii a Gamecube 1.5 - in my opinion this is a truly next generation system, its not a gamecube, its not anything else, this is the problem - next generation for many people means - better graphics, which is kind of sad.
I own 360, will own PS3 and of course Wii(which is the system I'm most excited about), and hopefully people will start to see what potential Wii will hold within(Virtual Console is the another reason - playing Super Mario World Yoshi's Island, Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario 64, Paper Mario, Paper Mario 2, Super Paper Mario on the same system!, hopefully Dracula X for PC-Engine - how cool that would be?)
I cant wait, $250 is great price for Wii, buying on day one with Zelda Twilight Princess, Metal Slug Anthology, maybe Red Steel or Excitetruck.

geneshifter
09-16-2006, 10:05 PM
I cant wait, $250 is great price for Wii, buying on day one with Zelda Twilight Princess, Metal Slug Anthology, maybe Red Steel or Excitetruck.

Another vote for Zelda and Metal Slug Anthology

:-P

Daniel Thomas
09-16-2006, 10:32 PM
Hear, hear! I've been pointing out Metal Gear Anthology on V. It looks like SNK Playmore has really come up with a good formula for classic games. It's important that this title becomes a hit, or at least sells reasonably well. Not only would it encourage more 2D classic games on Wii, it may force Nintendo to adopt more realistic prices for its VC lineup. Why bother paying $10 a pop when you can get a quality compilation disc for $40?

As to VC, I'd have to believe that at some point in the future, Nintendo would move towards a monthly subscription fee, instead of charging per-game. I'm not sure how that would break down, in terms of royalties, and it may not happen if gamers adopt the current iTunes setup.

I think what Nintendo needs to do is offer new incentives, like Microsoft's Live Arcade. $10 for a N64 game seems a bit steep, especially since it's sitting on my computer for free. But if you add in online multiplayer - BOOM! That's a deal. Emulators offer online play, so there really isn't a technical problem that couldn't be overcome.

The only problem that I can think of is competition with the current Wii lineup. If we can all play Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart 64 online multiplayer, would we be as eager to embrace the new Wii Mario Kart? Would we even be buying as many new games? Give me online matchups of Contra, Gunstar Heroes, Herzog Zwei, Super Bomberman 2, Mario Kart....I think that would suck up all my game time.

I don't know why no one in the "videogame press" has bothered to ask about this. Certainly there's someone, somewhere who has answers, or at least someone in authority who would listen to ideas.

Anthony1
09-17-2006, 12:27 AM
$10 for a N64 game seems a bit steep, especially since it's sitting on my computer for free. But if you add in online multiplayer - BOOM! That's a deal. Emulators offer online play, so there really isn't a technical problem that couldn't be overcome.

The only problem that I can think of is competition with the current Wii lineup. If we can all play Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart 64 online multiplayer, would we be as eager to embrace the new Wii Mario Kart? Would we even be buying as many new games? Give me online matchups of Contra, Gunstar Heroes, Herzog Zwei, Super Bomberman 2, Mario Kart....I think that would suck up all my game time.

I don't know why no one in the "videogame press" has bothered to ask about this. Certainly there's someone, somewhere who has answers, or at least someone in authority who would listen to ideas.

I agree with you 100 percent. In another thread, talking about which Wii games are online, I specifically was asking if Nintendo is going to be smart enough to make sure that some of the VC games will have online mutiplayer. Especially something like Super Mario Kart or Tecmo Bowl. That would be the real draw for me. I doubt I'll be buying any of the VC games, primarily because either I already have the real cartridge, or I have the rom on my PC or PSP, if I really wanted to play it, but the thing that would get me to actually buy it would be online mutiplayer. I know that this can be done on the PC via emulation as well, but I would just prefer to do it on the Wii, with more players available to play and most likely a smoother experience.

The point you bring up about it creating too much competition for the current Wii games is a good one, because online Super Mario Kart would be tremendously compelling for me. As would many other Super NES two player games, like Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Contra 3: Alien Wars and stuff like that. Imagine 2 player F-Zero, with no split screen. (I'm not sure if F-Zero even has a two player mode with split screen, but I would imagine that they could add a 2 player online mode, and not need to involve any split screen, plus it would be pretty sweet to also have the option of controlling your F-Zero hovercraft with the Wii-mote similar to Excite Truck.

Garry Silljo
09-17-2006, 01:31 AM
primarily because either I already have the real cartridge,

How can this be? you don't buy games, you only rent. Oh yeah, you're a god damn liar that's how. I thought you were just annoying but it turns out your a god damn liar too. I apologize for underestimating you.

Anthony1
09-17-2006, 01:43 AM

How can this be? you don't buy games, you only rent. Oh yeah, you're a god damn liar that's how. I thought you were just annoying but it turns out your a god damn liar too. I apologize for underestimating you.

If you are paying $29.99 for old SNES and NES carts, then you need to find a better supplier! LOL

Garry Silljo
09-17-2006, 01:48 AM

If you are paying $29.99 for old SNES and NES carts, then you need to find a better supplier! LOL

Where the hell did you get that price from? I never threw out any numbers or even said I was buying at all. You just can't stand not having a valid comeback so you'll through out anything.... pathetic.

Anthony1
09-17-2006, 02:00 AM
Where the hell did you get that price from? I never threw out any numbers or even said I was buying at all. You just can't stand not having a valid comeback so you'll through out anything.... pathetic.

Dude, I've said a million times already that I have a rental only policy for any game above $29.99. And to be totally honest, that's more for new games, because I've gotten some Neo-Geo AES games that have cost me more than $30, but that's just because I can't rent Neo-Geo AES games at the places I rent games at. I pay $3.50 per month to rent Xbox 360 games, and I can pay $3.50 per month to rent Nintendo Wii games and $3.50 per month to rent PS3 games, or PS2 or Xbox 1 or GameCbue. So I will rent games for extended periods of time. Like I've been renting Oblivion for like 5 months now. At only $3.50 per month, I don't mind renting something long term. I've examined the economics of it, and it just doesn't make sense for me to buy a game unless it's $29.99 or less. This has alot to do with the fact that I will play a game alot for 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 months, but I normally don't play them longer than that, I usually move onto something else. So that is the whole breakdown on my "Rental Only" policy. If a game is $29.99 or less, then it might, with the key word being "might", it might make sense to actually buy it. But sometimes even in that case it makes sense to rent it. But at $19.99 or less, then it really makes alot more sense to buy it.

As for the SNES and NES and N64 games, I have tons of loose carts for those systems, and I can pull them out and play them when I want, thus I don't have a very compelling reason to be downloading VC games. But if they do add multiplayer functionality to them, then that could really change things for me, and I would definteily pay $8 for Super Mario Kart download if they add multiplayer to it.

Garry Silljo
09-17-2006, 03:32 AM

Dude, I've said a million times already that I have a rental only policy for any game above $29.99. And to be totally honest, that's more for new games, because I've gotten some Neo-Geo AES games that have cost me more than $30, but that's just because I can't rent Neo-Geo AES games at the places I rent games at. I pay $3.50 per month to rent Xbox 360 games, and I can pay $3.50 per month to rent Nintendo Wii games and $3.50 per month to rent PS3 games, or PS2 or Xbox 1 or GameCbue. So I will rent games for extended periods of time. Like I've been renting Oblivion for like 5 months now. At only $3.50 per month, I don't mind renting something long term. I've examined the economics of it, and it just doesn't make sense for me to buy a game unless it's $29.99 or less. This has alot to do with the fact that I will play a game alot for 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 months, but I normally don't play them longer than that, I usually move onto something else. So that is the whole breakdown on my "Rental Only" policy. If a game is $29.99 or less, then it might, with the key word being "might", it might make sense to actually buy it. But sometimes even in that case it makes sense to rent it. But at $19.99 or less, then it really makes alot more sense to buy it.

As for the SNES and NES and N64 games, I have tons of loose carts for those systems, and I can pull them out and play them when I want, thus I don't have a very compelling reason to be downloading VC games. But if they do add multiplayer functionality to them, then that could really change things for me, and I would definteily pay $8 for Super Mario Kart download if they add multiplayer to it.

Alright, my mistake then. I heard you say a million times about a rent only policy, but this is the first time I can recall that any numbers were affixed to it. I'm sure they exist somewhere so I won't ask you to provide the exact instance. I don't feel like looking for them either. I retract any earlier comments I made regarding this policy and any contradictions that I thought I had seen.

jajaja
09-17-2006, 04:05 AM
the misleading concept on these boards by some people is that they are calling Wii a Gamecube 1.5 - in my opinion this is a truly next generation system, its not a gamecube, its not anything else, this is the problem - next generation for many people means - better graphics, which is kind of sad.

Nintendo said themself that Wii isnt a nextgen console, but a newgen console hehe. The console itself isnt really nextgen tho, only the controller.

Princess-Isabela
09-17-2006, 04:26 AM

Nintendo said themself that Wii isnt a nextgen console, but a newgen console hehe. The console itself isnt really nextgen tho, only the controller.

exactly - next/new gen ~ appropriate word for Wii, not something degrading value of the system like one and half just because its weaker in power then its competitors if any.

Icarus Moonsight
09-17-2006, 04:41 AM

Funny I thought Wii was a next gen console because it is Nintendo's next generation hardware succeding the GameCube. Silly me.

Really though, saying that Wii isn't next gen because of a perceived lack of graphics power only reveals how shallow and single minded one is. I can not understand this "take" at all.

I think the idea of modified VC games to support online multiplayer is a damn good one. If Nintendo hasn't thought of it already they really need to take a hard look at it. I hope the guys who wrote code for them documented and commented code well. If they did it wouldn't be very hard to "update" the VC stuff to do online MP. Some games may not have to be altered much that were multiplayer on the original system, but split screen games would be a bit more complicated and have to be reworked for full screen play. Or at least I'd think so. Hell if they added a leaderboard system for single player games that would be sweet. When there is a lack of a score they could use time. Give some gusto to speed run games like Zelda, Metroid, Castlevania and Metal Gear. I hope they designed VC to be flexible enough to do all this, really I do. Maybe the limited release of VC games (30 at launch, 10 more a month) suggests they are doing this already. Hell I'm sure they could have dumped the archives online and had most if not all their library avaliable at day one if they were going with straight ports.

Y'all can't see me but, I'm crossing my fingers... and my eyes, and toes...

Icarus Moonsight
09-17-2006, 04:52 AM
Forgot something regarding VC games. Will Nintendo have the balls to translate games to be played in regions where the game was never released? Dragon Quest V & VI spring to mind... and Alcahest... Oooo Sin and Punishment *swoons* and oh hell, I could go on, and on and on some more.

*crosses legs* and cause crossing your legs is kinda girly *crosses testicles too* LOL

geneshifter
09-17-2006, 06:23 AM
Forgot something regarding VC games. Will Nintendo have the balls to translate games to be played in regions where the game was never released? Dragon Quest V & VI spring to mind... and Alcahest... Oooo Sin and Punishment *swoons* and oh hell, I could go on, and on and on some more.

I'll add one: Star Ocean (super famicon)

I've FINALLY been playing this on my PSP since the de_jap guys translated it and I love the story just like the other games in the series. I would love to play it on a big TV instead of my PSP.

jajaja
09-17-2006, 07:33 AM

Funny I thought Wii was a next gen console because it is Nintendo's next generation hardware succeding the GameCube. Silly me.

Really though, saying that Wii isn't next gen because of a perceived lack of graphics power only reveals how shallow and single minded one is. I can not understand this "take" at all.

I havnt tried Wii myself, but from the screens and videos i've seen the gfx doesnt look that much better than GC. Afaik "next generation" means the 1 step up or how i shall say. The gfx on Wii isnt exactly 1 step up if you know what i mean. The controller is tho. Therefor, i would count it as a next-gen system, even if Nintendo themself doesnt call it that hehe. It belongs in the "PS3-360-Wii" group.

ianoid
09-17-2006, 10:14 AM
Alot of whining going on here, but most of the gamer/collectors here will eventually have all the consoles- launch or 10 years down the line. That being said, I haven't been more excited about a launch ever. I'll pre-order or whatever I can do to get a Wii console at it's earliest. This looks like one of the coolest innovations since Dual Shock controllers.

You can bet that only one controller will be packed in. And I'm happy for a pack-in game, at least with respect to stratefy, unlike some around here. I think Nintendo is making the right move for the general population.

The pack in title may actually be your $29.99 title- it probably won't have the depth of your regular sports titles. I would consider it a small expense in the cost of the launch price. This early in the product cycle, you're paying for hardware.

Just about every console sold these days has one controller and no component outs. The companies hope to improve their profits at launch with sales of all the full price bells and whistles. They have to enjoy it for a year- at which point used product and 3rd party product elbows them out a bit.

I think that PS3 will be considered high end. The price is overly exclusive for Johnny American Buyer. I'm really hoping the eventual war is 360 vs. Wii, and that will hardly be a war. More like a peaceful coexistance and competition. PS3's stuggling in the background should be enough to keep 360 and Wii on it's toes. I'll buy a PS3 eventually, but unless they have some killer app I don't know about, there could be no hurry.

comrade
09-17-2006, 12:07 PM
Will I be able to buy some VGA Wii cables on launch? Any word?

Anthony1
09-17-2006, 05:41 PM
Will I be able to buy some VGA Wii cables on launch? Any word?

Probably not. In fact, I don't think the 360 VGA cable was available right away either. Supposedly not every single Wii game will be 480p, Nintendo isn't requiring that, so there might be a problem with that as well, from a VGA standpoint. If you can somehow get your hands on a XRGB2 or XRGB3, you can almost assuredly use a Nintendo D Terminal cable for the Wii from Japan, but that's alot of drama just to get the thing working in RGB. At some point, I'm sure a 3rd party will try to make some type of VGA Adapter for the Wii, but it could be more of a cheap transcoder than anything. (Like many of the PS2 ones that you can buy). They do have transcoders that will take a component signal and covert it to VGA, but those aren't cheap either. We are just going to have to wait and see on this.

Wavelflack
09-17-2006, 09:34 PM
Good grief. It seems that everyone at DP is simultaneously beginning their menstrual cycle.

boatofcar
09-17-2006, 10:35 PM
I just want to say that if the Wii gives me free online Tecmo Super Bowl, I will never have to buy another system, ever.

Is any of this online-multiplayer-of-old-games talk actually substantiated anywhere?

j_factor
09-18-2006, 01:49 AM
I'm pretty disappointed in the price. I think it's $50 too expensive. And especially with those comments from Reggie about profitability... it seems a little insulting that they're jacking up the price so that they can make more of a per-unit profit, when no one else does that.

On the inflation thing... look again at those prices of Nintendo consoles adjusted for inflation. You see a clear pattern, the cost is going down each generation. Nintendo is now bucking that trend. Technology is supposed to get cheaper over the years anyway -- look at the original price tag of the first IBM adjusted for inflation, and you'll see a price few would pay for even a fancy PC today. The fact is, even adjusted for inflation, Wii is more expensive than Gamecube was. That seems to go against their hype of bringing in nongamers and all that. They're expanding their audience by being more expensive?

360 and PS3's price tags are moot. Nintendo was supposed to be going out on their own with this one, not competing with MS and Sony, going after the casual gamers and the nongamers and etc. To defend Nintendo with "well PS3 is still $600 OMG" belies that, IMO.

Besides, even Sony isn't marking their consoles UP for profit. Yeah, I already mentioned that bit, but it really bugs me. It wouldn't bug me if it was $199 and they still made a small profit on each console, but that they're now upping the price for the purpose of unit profits is really annoying.

The other thing that still bugs me, and I know I'm repeating myself, is all their hype about bringing in new people to gaming. I think this pricing (along with a few other things) goes against that hype. If they really want to do that, they need to be cheaper, not only compared to their competition, but compared to themselves in the past.

When they first revealed the controller, I was very excited. Excited not only for the possibilities in new gameplay experiences, but also excited for Nintendo. It seemed like a bold move, a new Nintendo. Anyone else remember when Brain Training and other budget priced, "non-gamer" games hit DS in Japan and caused crazy demand/sales? Nintendo was like, "see, this is what we're going to do with Revolution." And now that the Wii launch is approaching, it looks like every single game will be $50, and the only game that replicates that kind of appeal at all is Wii Sports. How is Nintendo going to duplicate the success of the DS if their console only pays lip service to what's made DS so successful? It's true that DS didn't have those things at launch, but DS also didn't do shit at launch, and I thought they wanted to do it right out of the gate this time.

I think the bottom line is that Nintendo just isn't being aggressive enough. They should've announced the pricing at E3, right after Sony. They should've made it $199 with two controllers and Wii Sports. They should've made the controllers cheaper. They should've developed a Wii equivalent of Brain Age and had it ready for launch. They should've lowered their licensing fee and made a huge announcement about it. They should've lowered the price of games to $40. And they should (perhaps they will) kick off their new console with a huge marketing blitz.

If Wii were doing all of those things, the war would be over before it began. They would've sold every unit they could produce for a long time, and would be well on their way to dominating the market quickly. And I think all of those are things Nintendo could've afforded to do. Instead, they're being almost lackadaisical in their approach.

I'd always considered it cynical when people were saying that no Nintendo console has outsold the previous, and the same will likely happen again. But how many converts does Nintendo really expect to win over with this? The controller was supposed to be an aspect of the overall package that attracts people to the system, but instead it seems like they're resting on the controller as their sole selling point. Even if the Wii does end up outselling Gamecube, I don't see Nintendo truly expanding and pulling out of their little corner (which is something I was foreseeing a few weeks ago). If they do, it will only be because of fuckups from the other sides (MS/Sony).

Maybe I'm only really pissed about the price because they took so damn long to announce it, and with that kind of time and buildup they should come out with an announcement that blows us away. $250 isn't terrible by any means, but when you have all that price-related hype, you should deliver with a price point that is exceptional. Maybe my expectations are too high. But I do still think, from a non-personal point of view, that this is a mistake. I don't think Wii will live up to its promise.

If this post seems schizophrenic, it's because that's the nature of my feeling towards the Wii. Exciting and disappointing; a hope and a letdown. Both daring and lethargic, brilliant and retarded at the same time.

Now. With all that said, I may still buy a Wii early on, maybe even at launch (which would be a first for me). But only because the initial lineup looks so damn good to me. I could see this being another Saturn, in that I adopt a console and adore its library, while being continually pissed at the company that brought it.

I guess the only other thing I can say is, we'll see.

Spycee
09-18-2006, 09:53 AM
They should've made it $199 with two controllers and Wii Sports. They should've made the controllers cheaper. They should've developed a Wii equivalent of Brain Age and had it ready for launch. They should've lowered their licensing fee and made a huge announcement about it. They should've lowered the price of games to $40. And they should (perhaps they will) kick off their new console with a huge marketing blitz.

No, you're wrong. They should've made the Wii for FREE, with four wiimotes, the sports compilation AND Zelda TP. AND they should've included a 10$ in the box, so we can buy another game (because of course ALL the games should've been 10$).

;)

If Nintendo make a big profit at 250$, it's fine with me if that helps them to continue to do what they're good at : innovation. They are in business to make a profit and that's ok for me. They (successfully) tried to offer something cheaper than the others that would still be fun.

What I find funny is that many people who are angry at Nintendo because of the 249$ are people that bought more than one PS2 because it broke, and some bought up to 5 PS2 @_@ Talk about a company making a lot of money from the gamers LOL

I don't understand why it should have been 199$ without the sports game. Maybe 229$, but not much less, it's clearly not a 50$ game. And at 20$, I would've bought it anyway.

Hi, my name is Spycee, and I'll buy a Wii on day one :cheers:

sirhansirhan
09-18-2006, 01:44 PM
Besides, even Sony isn't marking their consoles UP for profit. Yeah, I already mentioned that bit, but it really bugs me. It wouldn't bug me if it was $199 and they still made a small profit on each console, but that they're now upping the price for the purpose of unit profits is really annoying.

I think that generally speaking you make your points very clear and well (though I do not agree with them), but this one seems particularly glaring to me. It isn't nearly as bad as it used to be, but remember when Best Buy would sell whatever was hot and new each week at way below what they themselves were paying for it, so as to drive people in the store? It sounds nice, but it is a far too aggressive business practice in reality, and absolutely fucks every other retailer in the process--not just independents, but everyone. Maybe this isn't the best example, but I was a manager at a Borders when Harry Potter 5 came out, and while we were only making pennies profit on each copy sold (on what was to surely be our best-selling book of the year; exponentially so, even), we lost an assload of customers to Target and Best Buy who had it priced below cost, and these customers even got the idea that our pricing was ridiculous, despite that we were A) making almost no profit, and B) would have been driven bankrupt if our best-selling item of the year was sold substantially below cost.

The point is, that is what Sony and Microsoft are doing now. I'm all for letting Nintendo make a profit out of me if it keeps them in business. Back in the worst of the Best Buy selling-under-wholesale days I'd knowingly and willingly pay up to $10 more for a DVD/whatever on the day of release, just to support the retailers who I actually like, instead of some shit splat chain that fucks its employees, fucks its customers, and fucks the economy.

Bronty-2
09-18-2006, 02:24 PM
The point is, that is what Sony and Microsoft are doing now. I'm all for letting Nintendo make a profit out of me if it keeps them in business. Back in the worst of the Best Buy selling-under-wholesale days I'd knowingly and willingly pay up to $10 more for a DVD/whatever on the day of release, just to support the retailers who I actually like, instead of some shit splat chain that fucks its employees, fucks its customers, and fucks the economy.

Amen. Only reason nintendo is healthy as a company right now is because they aren't giving away their product, unlike the other two. If everybody gives away and loses an assload of money on hardware in an attempt to purchase market share, you sooner or later end up with only one company in the industry because the others go bankrupt or get out of the industry to focus on something more profitable.

It's exactly what sony is doing with the ps3. They are giving away a blu ray player to try to win blu ray / hddvd market share. And they could be fucking themselves over in a big way if their plans don't pan out.

I'd rather have three healthy companies making reasonable profits - better for everyone in the long run.

Bronty-2
09-18-2006, 02:28 PM
I'm pretty disappointed in the price. I think it's $50 too expensive. And especially with those comments from Reggie about profitability... it seems a little insulting that they're jacking up the price so that they can make more of a per-unit profit, when no one else does that.

I'm surprised at the reactions. Personally I was expecting 229 with no pack in, so 249 with wii sports is fine by me.

There was no way it was ever going to be 199, you people were dreaming. If they start at 199 at launch, where do they go from there? They leave themselves no room for the inevitable price cuts later on.

geneshifter
09-18-2006, 02:34 PM

I'm surprised at the reactions. Personally I was expecting 229 with no pack in, so 249 with wii sports is fine by me.

There was no way it was ever going to be 199, you people were dreaming. If they start at 199 at launch, where do they go from there? They leave themselves no room for the inevitable price cuts later on.\

Look, a lot of people were thinking this based upon Reggie's statements about bringing it to the masses and how it was the most affordable Nintendo ever. Plus, the Wii name thing, about bringing gaming to everyone. Then, they show us what we'll be getting for $250 and it's a game that plays several people but the bundle only comes with 1 stinking controller?

Also, Nintendo has a track record of releasing their consoles at $199 forever, you probably know. PLUS, when Nintendo had been asked about the possible price some time ago, they criptically said for us to look at the past launches and we would get the idea. So, I feel all this emotion about the price is their own fault.

Bronty-2
09-18-2006, 05:41 PM
I suppose that's true, you make some good points, so perhaps I was a little offbase in saying 199 was dreamland. But personally I didn't expect 199 for a second. Besides, you have to remember that these are global companies. 199 USD ain't what it was before Dubya took over, for better or for worse (that's an argument for another time but the fact is the USD has declined). To the extent that nintendo's costs are in yen, it takes more USD to break even/ make a profit than it used to.

Bronty-2
09-18-2006, 05:42 PM
I suppose that's true, you make some good points, so perhaps I was a little offbase in saying 199 was dreamland. But personally I didn't expect 199 for a second. It isn't the 1990s anymore. Besides, you have to remember that these are global companies. Their costs and revenues go beyond the US dollar. 199 USD ain't what it was before Dubya took over, for better or for worse (that's an argument for another time but the fact is the USD has declined). To the extent that nintendo's costs are in yen, it takes more USD to break even/ make a profit than it used to.

Bronty-2
09-18-2006, 05:44 PM
I suppose that's 8-) true, you make some good points, so perhaps I was a little offbase in saying 199 was dreamland. But personally I didn't expect 199 for a second. It isn't the 1990s anymore.

Besides, you have to remember that these are global companies. Their costs and revenues go beyond the US dollar... 199 USD ain't what it was before Dubya took over, for better or for worse (that's an argument for another time but the fact is the USD has declined). To the extent that nintendo's costs are in yen, it takes more USD to break even/ make a profit than it used to.[/quote][/quote]

Bronty-2
09-18-2006, 05:44 PM
I suppose that's true, you make some good points, so perhaps I was a little offbase in saying 199 was dreamland. But personally I didn't expect 199 for a second. It isn't the 1990s anymore.

Besides, you have to remember that these are global companies. Their costs and revenues go beyond the US dollar... 199 USD ain't what it was before Dubya took over, for better or for worse (that's an argument for another time but the fact is the USD has declined). To the extent that nintendo's costs are in yen, it takes more USD to break even/ make a profit than it used to.

comrade
09-18-2006, 06:30 PM
I recently bought a tv that outputs in 540p and 1080i. I'm pretty sure the Wii only outputs 480. Am I gonna run into problems?

s1lence
09-18-2006, 06:37 PM
I recently bought a tv that outputs in 540p and 1080i. I'm pretty sure the Wii only outputs 480. Am I gonna run into problems?

540p? O_O

Trebuken
09-18-2006, 06:48 PM

I doubt it. Your TV will likely scale the image or upconvert if your lucky. Might give you black bars....but I doubt it. I think the Wii games are expected to be widescreen, may have an impact as well...

540 p is a resolution that does not come up with TV's much, sounds like an LCD.

Later,
Trebuken

comrade
09-18-2006, 06:53 PM

I doubt it. Your TV will likely scale the image or upconvert if your lucky. Might give you black bars....but I doubt it. I think the Wii games are expected to be widescreen, may have an impact as well...

Later,
Trebuken

Well the tv is a widescreen.
http://reviews.cnet.com/Toshiba_26HF66_CRT_TV_26/4507-6481_7-31884746.html?tag=nav

There it is if you need to see proof.

(off topic question*) Will this tv play xbox 360 games correctly? I know they output at a native 720 and 1080i, right? :roll:

(this is all for my husband so any help is appreciated)

Trebuken
09-18-2006, 07:54 PM
Theat Toshiba TV will play everything fine. Built in HD-Tuner is a nice addition too.

Later,
Trebuken

cyberfluxor
09-19-2006, 10:21 AM
I could have sworn I submitted a response to this yesterday. Oh well.

I don't mind the system being $250 even if they toss in a sports game. It's a machine that does wonders and will have some great titles so a low balling price like that for entertainment isn't that bad. It'll have some very unique games I'm sure and things that'll entertain for hours just as well as for say a PS3 or Xbox360 title. I know there's a lot of Nintendo haters and dreamers but there's going to be some nice stuff that comes out of this system for sure so just keep an eye on it. :)

Anthony1
09-20-2006, 01:11 AM

I have a Sony HDTV that does 540p and 1080i. That's actually pretty coming with older HDTV's. If you give it a 480p signal, it will transcode it to 540p, so you don't need to worry about it. What you do need to worry about, is what it does with a 720p signal. For example, my crappy Sony takes a 720p signal and downconverts to 540p. So when I use my Xbox 360 on that TV, I have to make sure that I have the resolution set to 1080i. So just make sure you have things set to 1080i or 480p and you should be cool. Also, it's not a guarantee that your set downcoverts 720p to 540p like mine does, but if it's an older HDTV, then it might.

Anthony1
09-20-2006, 01:21 AM

Later,
Trebuken

Actually alot of older HDTV's do 540p and 1080i, the reason for that, is that half of 1080 is 540, so it's just a cheaper way for them to do it. Early HDTV tuners would do 540p and 1080i too, to make it more simple and cheap, and the early HDTV's followed that. The big downside with 540p, is that alot of these HDTV's would take a true 720p signal and downconvert to 540p, and you loose a ton of resolution when that happens. Sometimes I hook my 360 up to my older Sony HDTV, and I forget to change the resolution from 720p to 1080 in the 360's menu. And I'm sitting there, playing my 360, and it looks like ass. then I realize that I forgot to switch it back to 1080i, then once I switch it back to 1080i, it looks great again, lol.

The thing that really sucks is that 6 months after I bought my Sony, they changed that model, so that the new ones would take a 720p signal and upconvert to 1080i rather than downconvert to 540p. Unfortunately, I just missed that, so I'm stuck with this crappy one. Oh well, shiznit happens. Eventually I'll upgrade to a true 1080p model, and remember anybody that is buying a 1080p set, remember that only like 2 out of 10 1080p sets can actually accept a full 1080p signal from the HDMI input. The Sony SXRD's are ones that do the full 1080p signal, so when you have a PS3 game like Gran Turismo 1080p or whatever the hell they are calling that remake, with a Sony SXRD, you would actually get the full 1080p signal in it's true form.

(note: 1080p is pretty meaningless when it comes to movies, because movies are 24 frames per second, and it's kinda complicated, but just know that you don't need true 1080p input to take advantage of 1080p movies, but with PS3 games, that's a different story, and with 1080p "video", it's a different story)

Princess-Isabela
09-20-2006, 02:36 AM
which model do you have?
and we'll see how PS3 will handle hefty 1080p, so far we've seen basically is ps2 game with slightly upgraded graphics in details(gt4), that 1080p might be just supported by 1/20 library like xbox and ps2 had(and what a coincidence - the only ps2 game that supports 1080i - is gt4!).
we'll see...

sabre2922
09-20-2006, 07:47 AM
$249.99 is a good price WITH a pack in game.

Even though the big N stated over and over that the Wii would be under $250.00 US like a few others here I was really hoping for a $199.00 base console price....but well see.

Now the supposed price of the virtual console games NES to N64 is too expensive IMO.

Daniel Thomas
09-20-2006, 11:02 AM
Don't worry. We'll just wait for the emulators to appear, and then burn a couple disks and use those.

If Nintendo offered, oh, I dunno, online multiplayer for VC, then I'd jump. Without it, no dice.

playgeneration
09-20-2006, 04:34 PM
I think the price is far too much really, nintendo made big promises about being affordable to everyone and thts just not the case. The are supposed to be innovative, why not be innovative with more than just the controller?. Some people have said well if was $200 they couldnt have a price cut, but why should they have a price cut, its not the law that they should. It should have been cheap from the start, then people would have bought the console and a load of games at the same time, making nintendo more money in the long run. Now people will buy a console perhaps one extra game, and may not buy a second controller for ages since its so expensive.
I was really excited about the Wii after E3, but now the more i see the more im dissapointed. A lot of the things Wii promised, low price, innovative games etc are already being delivered by another console - PS2. I can see PS2 outselling the three next generation consoles for quite a while yet.

studvicious
09-20-2006, 05:51 PM
I really can't understand why so many people are crying about the price. They said that it would cost no more than $250. Did you HONESTLY think that it would sell at some magic number waaaaaaaaaay below $250??

PS3 - $600
Xbox 360 - $400
Wii - $250

Put yourself in the mind of a parent buying a Christmas present for little Johnny. They see those 3 prices - which one do you think they'd pick?

Sorry it's not free. Here's a tissue.

suppafly
09-20-2006, 08:04 PM
I really can't understand why so many people are crying about the price. They said that it would cost no more than $250. Did you HONESTLY think that it would sell at some magic number waaaaaaaaaay below $250??

PS3 - $600
Xbox 360 - $400
Wii - $250

Put yourself in the mind of a parent buying a Christmas present for little Johnny. They see those 3 prices - which one do you think they'd pick?

Xbox 360 w/o hard disk: 290 US
Wii: 250 US

Its not like theyre giving them wiis away for free...I agree that 250 isnt CHEAP. Not expensive, but NOT cheap definitely

$199 Wouldve been very nice indeed

Garry Silljo
09-20-2006, 08:07 PM

PS3 - $600
Xbox 360 - $400
Wii - $250

Xbox 360 w/o hard disk: 290 US
Wii: 250 US

Its not like theyre giving them wiis away for free...I agree that 250 isnt CHEAP. Not expensive, but NOT cheap definitely

$199 Wouldve been very nice indeed

You mentioned that there is no hard disk but you left out there is no pack in game and a wired controller. These factors make a big difference to some comsumers.

Anthony1
09-21-2006, 12:33 AM

PS3 - $600
Xbox 360 - $400
Wii - $250

When you look at the Wii's price in comparison to the PS3 and 360, yes, it looks to be the cheapest and most affordable system. But the problem is, the comparison isn't valid. Sure they might all be video game systems, but that's pretty much where the comparison ends. Nintendo is charging $250 for it, because their focus groups tell them that they will sell enough units at that price and they can get away with it. They are going to make a very nice profit at that price. I can guarantee you they didn't make a profit when they sold the SNES, or the Nintendo 64 or the GameCube. They might not have taken huge losses on those systems, but they didn't make a profit on day 1. This is the first time they are actually making a profit on day 1. They didn't have to do that, but they feel that they can get away with it this time, and I don't blame them. They can get away with it. The reason they can, is because the PS3 is $600 and the 360 is $400. That allows them to get away with it.

But trying to compare the Wii to the PS3 and XBOX 360 is just not valid. The Wii isn't even next-generation hardware. Key word being "hardware". It might have a next gen philosophy, a next gen controller, but it's not next gen hardware. It's a souped up GameCube. Let's call a spade a spade. Just look at Madden 07 for the Wii. Heck Madden 07 for Xbox 1 looks better than that. So it's obviously not next-gen hardware. Of course that doesn't mean it won't be tremendously fun, and very enjoyable to play. But we are talking about the price of the unit, and whether or not the $250 is really justifiable. Personally, I don't think it's as great a value as it might appear to be. I'm going to buy one on day 1, but that's just because I'm a video game freak and I can't help myself. But it's not a really great value. It's not a horrible value either, it's just not a great value.

If the PS3 was $400 and the Xbox 360 was $300, I can guarantee you the Wii would be $199.99 or even less. But because those other two systems are priced so high, Nintendo can overcharge for the Wii and get away with it. Again, I don't blame them at all, they are out to make money,and they are going to do whats in their best interests. But as a consumer, and a cheap ass consumer at that, it doesn't mean I have to celebrate it :)

Princess-Isabela
09-21-2006, 12:54 AM
Microsoft representative at Tokyo Game Show pointed out interesting thing:
Xbox 360 Core Pack with 2 games bundled there(Ninety Nine Nights and PGR3) will hit stores at 29,000 yens, which is close to being it $250!
they mentioned that 360 there, is being sold cheaper than Wii itself!
thats a great value(you're getting 360 system basically at below $200 level point!).
this is for Japan only though(they are doing that to boost interest in 360 there).

kentuckyfried
09-21-2006, 12:55 AM
It's all frivolous spending anyways, it's not like buying milk or gas or insurance or anything :)

I'll be buying a wii, probably paying 300 canadian dollars.

zerohero
09-21-2006, 01:14 AM
Well,

The 249 makes me think a bit longer about buying it at launch as many have said, but I probably will. It just sucks that the xbox is around the same price and can easily compete with the Wii.

All that said, the Wii will more and likely dominate this christmass.

zerohero
09-21-2006, 01:27 AM

I dont get it? Since when did people start disliking him?

SkiDragon
09-21-2006, 02:11 AM
One shouldn't claim a Cadillac is inexpensive by pointing to a Ferrari.

sabre2922
09-21-2006, 02:43 AM
A lot of the things Wii promised, low price, innovative games etc are already being delivered by another console - PS2. I can see PS2 outselling the three next generation consoles for quite a while yet.

I agree with this for the most part as I think both the Wii and Playstation2 will sell more than the next-gen machines especially PS3 if only for the lack of overall # of systems available at launch oh and THE HIGH PRICE TAG @_@

Hell I still see the PS2 sold out at my local Walmart almost all of the time when there are always at least 2-3 Xbox360 systems on the shelf.

Its strange but I read a print article recently how the transition from current gen to next gen doesnt seem to be as alluring to the casual gaming public when compared to back when the PS2 was released.
I know its not easy for all of us fellow gamers here at DP to understand nor fully comprehend but the majority of the gaming public really cant tell MAJOR differences between Xbox360 games (yes even toptier games) and current gen games wether it be PS2,Xbox or Gamecube.

My point is this: The majority of casual gamers seem to be perfectly happy with thier current gen system -specifically PS2- and IMO are looking for something more than slightly prettier/shinier graphics and that is what the Wii will provide.

Sure the Wii isnt a true "next-gen system" as far as the hardware goes BUT its the software and innovation that will bring many casual and new gamers into the fold.

This all means that I see the future being very bright for both the PS2 and the Wii, and a very slooow start for both the next-gen powerhouses Xbox360 and especially Playstation3.

A few examples.

the PS2 provides just about everything a casual (and even hardcore gamer) could want -
#1. Low affordable price
#2.a LARGE library every kind of genre INCLUDING innovative titles: Guitar hero,Okami and many more.
#3.continued 1st and 3rd party support , sorry Xbox and GC.
#4.plays DVD movies that all but the hardcore technophiles are perfectly happy with until Blue-ray or HDdvd becomes more affordable and actually has GOOD MOVIES TO WATCH.

The Wii provides the innovation plus nice graphics that I believe will be more of a driving force for a true transition from current generation to the next generation than the sheer graphical prowess of something like the PS3.

I think many so-called hardcore gamers will be very surprised at how long the PS2 will actually last and at what will most likely be the biggest comeback in videogame history from Nintendo with the Wii.

zerohero
09-21-2006, 06:21 AM
I guess I expected the TOTAL amount of buying a Wii and a few extra's like Zelda and another controller to be 249...

But I honestly do feel that Nintendo does, and will apeal to the cansual gamer for some strange reason. I can actually see my mom playing this thing vs the 360 or PS3 in the near future.

FantasiaWHT
09-21-2006, 08:19 AM
I can guarantee you they didn't make a profit when they sold the SNES, or the Nintendo 64 or the GameCube. They might not have taken huge losses on those systems, but they didn't make a profit on day 1. This is the first time they are actually making a profit on day 1.

Are you sure on that? Everything I've ever read said that Nintendo has always made a profit right off the bat on their systems.

Neo Rasa
09-21-2006, 11:08 AM
I can guarantee you they didn't make a profit when they sold the SNES, or the Nintendo 64 or the GameCube. They might not have taken huge losses on those systems, but they didn't make a profit on day 1. This is the first time they are actually making a profit on day 1.

Are you sure on that? Everything I've ever read said that Nintendo has always made a profit right off the bat on their systems.

Yeah he's incorrect, systems in general were sold at a profit from the major console manufacturers. The first notable excapeion was the PSX, wherein Sony decided pretty late in the game to sell it at a loss in order to undercut the Saturn. If people wonder why there's such a high crap to quality ratio on the Sony systems, it originates here as this is the first major example in the industry of selling the system at a loss and making the real revenue off of licensing fees and selling development kits.

Mayhem
09-21-2006, 12:12 PM
Certainly during the computer days of C64, Spectrum, Amiga and so, they were definitely sold at a profit.

Anthony1
09-21-2006, 06:54 PM
Yeah he's incorrect, systems in general were sold at a profit from the major console manufacturers. The first notable excapeion was the PSX, wherein Sony decided pretty late in the game to sell it at a loss in order to undercut the Saturn. If people wonder why there's such a high crap to quality ratio on the Sony systems, it originates here as this is the first major example in the industry of selling the system at a loss and making the real revenue off of licensing fees and selling development kits.

I don't think so, again, I said that they may have sold for slightly more than what it cost to bring it to market, but they weren't profit generators from Day 1 like the Wii is going to be. Way back in August of 1991 when the Super Nintendo first launched, the SNES was state of the art technology. Far more advanced than the Genesis or TG-16 and it had Super Mario World packed in, and I think an extra controller too (although I'm not certain on the extra controller part). But fitting all that in for $199.99 was pretty amazing back then when it first was released. If Nintendo was making a profit on the SNES way back then in 1991, it was an extremely small one. Like less than 3 percent. When the Nintendo 64 launched in September of 1996 for $199, again, it was state of the art technology. You know how much money they spent designing that system with Silicon Graphics? Alot. This time a game wasn't packaged in, but still, if the N64 was making a profit at launch, it was extremely minimal.

Same thing with the GameCube in 2001. People seem to forget that the GameCube was much more advanced than the PS2 or Dreamcast. Sure, it might not have been as powerful as a Xbox, but the Cube was pretty much state of the art when it was released. You have to remember that it costs money to bring these systems to market. It isn't just the cost of the system itself, and the packaging and all that, it's getting it from conception to the point when it hits retailers shelves.

All 3 of those systems were sold either at a loss (probably not a huge loss, but still) or at a very minimal profit. The difference with the Wii, is that Nintendo is making a pretty considerable profit on the Wii from Day 1. This is pretty much unheard of in the realm of home video game consoles. It's been the "Give away the razor to sell the Blades" theory for a long time now. This is the first time that somebody is actually making some real money on the Razor on day 1. And if your Nintendo, then you should be extremely pleased with this, because the system is going to sell regardless. So for Nintendo, this is wonderfull news.

zerohero
09-21-2006, 07:18 PM
How can it be the "Wii" with only 1 controller in the box? :(

Andred
09-21-2006, 07:30 PM
The difference with the Wii, is that Nintendo is making a pretty considerable profit on the Wii from Day 1.

I've agreed with most everything that you've said so far but I have to point out that you have no way of knowing that it is making a "pretty considerable" profit. They simply said that it was a profit. There is absolutely NO data to tell us how much. They could be making $0.47 on these things and that's still profitable or they might only cost $50 to make it and they're making $200 (yes, that's an exaggeration) on each console. We simply don't know and therefore can't speculate. That's my only objection. Otherwise, spot on.

business
09-21-2006, 09:04 PM
N-Sider.com has a Wii calculator up on the site. Pretty nifty.

http://www.n-sider.com/newsview.php?type=story&storyid=2440

Looks like I will be spending $397.46 on the 19th.

Neo Rasa
09-21-2006, 09:12 PM
I really don't understand why this is up for debate. Nintendo itself claims to have never sold a system at a loss. This was reported on numerous sites and magazines whenever it was stated (about a year ago?). This isn't an earth shattering revelation they'd need to exaggerate or lie about as they would be called on it immediately if that were the case.

They work towards optimization instead of putting a ton of super expensive hardware individual pieces of hardware under the hood (even the N64, despite its advanced technology, accomplished this by the time the actual home system was released, with most of the consumer expense coming from the cartridges themselves). You're also making some pretty big assumptions about the build of the Wii when we basically have no real information about what's inside it besides IGN.

Also, naturally the profit margin on the hardware probably isn't gigantic, you even mention that yourself. It being a small profit doesn't invalidate its existence. From a business standpoint, ANY profit is better than a loss, unless your Microsoft and have saved up enough money ahead of time that you can afford to hemmorage it for an entire console generation and then some. Sony rode the current of this method successfully throughout the PS1 and PS2 and while they have the market and by far the most popularity, I think in the generation after this consoles in general will be more efficiently assembled.

Anthony1
09-22-2006, 12:36 AM
I've agreed with most everything that you've said so far but I have to point out that you have no way of knowing that it is making a "pretty considerable" profit. They simply said that it was a profit. There is absolutely NO data to tell us how much. They could be making $0.47 on these things and that's still profitable or they might only cost $50 to make it and they're making $200 (yes, that's an exaggeration) on each console. We simply don't know and therefore can't speculate. That's my only objection. Otherwise, spot on.

Well, it's pretty easy to determine that their profit is considerable, when you consider what a Wii is. It's an enhanced GameCube. A souped up GameCube. Nintendo currently sells brand new GameCube's for $79.99, and they are likely making a small profit off of them, even at that price. So let's say for argument's sake that it cost them $60 to manufacture a GameCube (it's probably quite a bit less by now). With the Wii being a souped up Cube, you would have to expect that while it costs more than $60 to manufacture, it probably doesn't cost a tremendous amount more. Let's just say for the sake of argument that it costs them double to manufacture a Wii (probably costs them less, but lets be on the safe side). That would take it to $120. Then let's look at the controller and nunchaku. The controller sells individually for $39.99 and the nunchaku sells for $19.99. That's $60 total, but I'm guessing they manufacture it for less than half that, but lets be generous and say it's half. Ok, that's $30. Now we are at $150.00. The AC Adapter, included cables, packaging, Wii Sports disk an manual, probably cost less than $20, but lets be on the safe side and say that it costs $20. That takes us to $170. Now, to be extra safe, lets add another $10 on top, just for any extra things we might be forgetting. Ok, now we are at $180. Personally, I think it doesn't even cost them close to $180 to bring that package to market, but for the sake of argument, I'll agree that it's $180. Then they have to sell it to retailers. The retailers get a cut. Normally retailers buy consoles for a few dollars less than retail and don't make anything off it, but with Nintendo talking about how they are making a profit from Jump Street, they have to give the retailer a cut too, or they would piss them off to a large degree. I'll say that retailers get to purchase the Wii for about $235 and sell it for $249.99.

So if you conisder all that, then Nintendo is likely making somewhere in the neighborhood of $55 profit off each Wii sold. If you do the math, $54.9978 is 22 percent profit on the $249.99 product. For a video game console launch, 22 percent profit is definitely considerable. Now, you can say that I pulled all those numbers out of my ass, and you would be right, but..... There have been reports on various websites that the Wii costs about $170 to manufacture, sure these reports are unsubstantiated, but $170 is right in line with my $180 prediction. You can consider my numbers to be total bullshit, and nowhere near the truth, but I'm guessing I'm within 10 percent of a correct guess on either side of the equation.

j_factor
09-22-2006, 12:43 AM
I suppose that's true, you make some good points, so perhaps I was a little offbase in saying 199 was dreamland. But personally I didn't expect 199 for a second. Besides, you have to remember that these are global companies. 199 USD ain't what it was before Dubya took over, for better or for worse (that's an argument for another time but the fact is the USD has declined). To the extent that nintendo's costs are in yen, it takes more USD to break even/ make a profit than it used to.

The US dollar may be weak in the global market right now, but so is the yen. The US-Japan exchange rate is actually about even with what it was in 2001.

Gamecube launched in Japan for 25000 yen (approx. $215 then) and in the US for $199.
Wii is launching in Japan for 25000 yen (approx. $215 today) and in the US for $249.

Last time, we got our systems cheaper (which is the norm), but this time we're paying more than the Japanese. Granted, Japan doesn't get Wii Sports with their systems, but the cost on that game ain't $35+.

Neo Rasa
09-22-2006, 01:22 AM
Actually that just reminded me of something. I think Nintendo will REALLY be making their hardware profit off controller sales in the US.

GarrettCRW
09-22-2006, 01:25 AM
I'll say that retailers get to purchase the Wii for about $235 and sell it for $249.99.

This is about the only thing in your last post that I even begin to agree with. Target got $8 per PS2 sold at launch, IIRC. (The games and other goodies had a significantly higher margin, hence why everyone down the supply chain encourages game and accessory sales.)

But the claims about the Wii being little more than a Gamecube 1.5? Please stop. You've been bitching about this system seemingly since Nintendo said that the Wii wouldn't satisfy your inner (and outer) graphics whore. You ain't big on the Wii. We get it. Now deal.

Until this thing launches, and we get more info on what makes it tick, there is absolutely no way any of us can accurately estimate the money per system Nintendo is making. What we do know is that it's a hell of a lot more than Sony is taking in for the PS3, and probably more than Microsoft with the 360. Besides, as Joe would say, the bottom line is the games. Are they fun? Do they bring something new to the table? That, ultimately, is what will win the day in this generation, not whining about the cost of System A vs. System B or whether or not one company is screwing us over with accessory prices (hint: they all are!). To paraphrase a wiser man than I, It's about the games, stupid.

Neo Rasa
09-22-2006, 01:30 AM
We can't at this point since the only games coming out that there are several screenshots of are by Ubisoft or have a graphical style that defies what most people are looking for (i.e., not photorealistic graphics).

Princess-Isabela
09-22-2006, 01:46 AM
even if Nintendo is making profit, well.........GOOD FOR THEM!

Icarus Moonsight
09-22-2006, 02:15 AM
All this shit is getting real stupid; "Wii isn't next-gen", "Waaaa, it's too expensive", "OMG, evil nasty Nintendo is making a PROFIT!!! Those bastards!", "Pack-in game? That's an antiquated practice now isn't it? Boo to Nintendo!" and all the other pointless dribble being oozed into an otherwise worthwhile thread. It's all well and good to disagree... but first be sure your standing on firm ground before sharing your opinions. Otherwise, you just end up playing asshat on the internet.

Saber had an excellent point that seems to have been washed over by BS. The casual gamer IS having a difficult time seeing the generational improvement from last to this. Hell, I'm having a problem seeing a marked improvement to tell you the truth and I've been rockin' a joystick for 20 years now. While Wii may not have the technical horsepower you'd expect in a next-gen system, I find it refreshing that Nintendo rather than making Wii a hardware increment over the Gamecube chose to focus on something the consumer would instantly see as an obvious difference... Interface!!! Nintendo must have realized that something different would have to be done to hit that wow-factor that the previous generations of gaming systems have produced with pretty eye candy. Semiconductors are reaching their limit in power (barring a revolutionary new technology that allows them to tap more power out of them of course). Why else do you think that CPU's are multi-core these days? It's not because it's the most cost effective way to improve performance, but rather the only way.

Look at Wii again and tell me, it is not worth $250. Wiimote tech is a huge leap forward, and anyone can experience this when the kiosks hit stores. I have a feeling there will be lines in retail aisles full of people waiting to see what this "updated Gamecube" can do. Think that I'm high? Think again. Parallel the DS to Wii, they are quite simular. Both are technologicly inferior to the competition it all aspects except INTERFACE! I'll admit, I thought the DS was going to be horrible. A veritable trainwreck that could only visit the Virtual Boy at Christmas and be excluded from all Nintendo family functions forever due to it's suckitude. And nearly two years latter where are we now? Exactly. If it wasn't for the DS I'd probably join right in with the bitch squad, but the DS experience I've had this last year has helped me to trust Nintendo and see where they are going with the whole Wii thing.

This post will be avaliable in it's unabridged book form this Monday morning @ 7am EST at amazon.com. My apologies to Anthony for messing around in his balliwick of longer-than-hell-sayz-they-should-be posts.

FantasiaWHT
09-22-2006, 07:22 AM
Anthony, I agree with your analysis about the earlier systems, but you are basing your entire argument that the Wii is making a much more significant profit than any of Nintendo's previous systems on the mere SPECULATION that the Wii isn't a significant improvement over the Gamecube.

Can't buy that one yet. There's a chance it may turn out to be true, but as of now it's pure speculation.

Anthony1
09-22-2006, 03:17 PM
All this shit is getting real stupid; "Wii isn't next-gen", "Waaaa, it's too expensive", "OMG, evil nasty Nintendo is making a PROFIT!!! Those bastards!", "Pack-in game? That's an antiquated practice now isn't it? Boo to Nintendo!" and all the other pointless dribble being oozed into an otherwise worthwhile thread. It's all well and good to disagree... but first be sure your standing on firm ground before sharing your opinions. Otherwise, you just end up playing asshat on the internet.

I'll go ahead and assume that all of the above comments are directed at me. The reason I make my threads long, is to make a real attempt at not having my statements and comments "mis-interpreted". Unfortunately, it appears that this is impossible, because everybody seems to come away with the general idea that I'm anti-Nintendo and anti-Wii and all that crap. I'll say it once, and I'll say it a thousand times, I'm buying a Wii on day one, and I sure as heck wouldn't be buying one, if I wasn't excited about getting one. I'm not going to drop $300+ on something that I have no interest in. I'm very excited about the possibilities of gaming on the Wii.

At the same time, that doesn't mean that it's impossible for anything about the Wii to bother me or slightly irritate me. Take the Star Wars prequels for example. I'm a huge Star Wars fan, and I actually like all 3 prequels. But I can also nitpick the living hell out of all 3. Overall, I like all three movies, even Phantom Menace, but I can also give you a long list of things about those movies that bother me to no end. The Wii is very similar. I like the Wii, and plan on getting one the second they are available. I'm going to spend over $350 on Wii related items on that first day. But it doesn't mean that every single thing Wii related is sunshine and rainbows. Sure I would love the Wii to be cheaper, and sure I would love the Wii to be a little more powerful, but that doesn't mean I'm anti-Wii or anti-Nintendo. I don't understand why some of the people in this thread are getting this impression. I'm not sure they are really reading my actual posts, or reading one or two sentences, and then immediately forming some opinion that I'm anti-Nintendo. It's like they read one or two sentences, get really mad, and then hit the quote button and immediately start attacking me.

Also, regarding Nintendo making a profit, I could care less if they are making a profit. That's their business. I'm not crying about that in the least. Somebody questioned whether or not they were really making a profit and how much of one, and I gave my opinion, but I'm not saddened in any way that they are making a profit from Jump Street. Good for them. I'm not anti-capitalism or anything like that.

Garry Silljo
09-22-2006, 04:40 PM

I'll go ahead and assume that all of the above comments are directed at me. The reason I make my threads long, is to make a real attempt at not having my statements and comments "mis-interpreted". Unfortunately, it appears that this is impossible, because everybody seems to come away with the general idea that I'm anti-Nintendo and anti-Wii and all that crap. I'll say it once, and I'll say it a thousand times, I'm buying a Wii on day one, and I sure as heck wouldn't be buying one, if I wasn't excited about getting one. I'm not going to drop $300+ on something that I have no interest in. I'm very excited about the possibilities of gaming on the Wii.

At the same time, that doesn't mean that it's impossible for anything about the Wii to bother me or slightly irritate me. Take the Star Wars prequels for example. I'm a huge Star Wars fan, and I actually like all 3 prequels. But I can also nitpick the living hell out of all 3. Overall, I like all three movies, even Phantom Menace, but I can also give you a long list of things about those movies that bother me to no end. The Wii is very similar. I like the Wii, and plan on getting one the second they are available. I'm going to spend over $350 on Wii related items on that first day. But it doesn't mean that every single thing Wii related is sunshine and rainbows. Sure I would love the Wii to be cheaper, and sure I would love the Wii to be a little more powerful, but that doesn't mean I'm anti-Wii or anti-Nintendo. I don't understand why some of the people in this thread are getting this impression. I'm not sure they are really reading my actual posts, or reading one or two sentences, and then immediately forming some opinion that I'm anti-Nintendo. It's like they read one or two sentences, get really mad, and then hit the quote button and immediately start attacking me.

Also, regarding Nintendo making a profit, I could care less if they are making a profit. That's their business. I'm not crying about that in the least. Somebody questioned whether or not they were really making a profit and how much of one, and I gave my opinion, but I'm not saddened in any way that they are making a profit from Jump Street. Good for them. I'm not anti-capitalism or anything like that.

Are you tired? You've done a lot of back peddling.You bitch about things in one post, and then claim not be bothered by them in the next, and repeat on an endless loop. What's worse is you repeat the same stuff over and over and when some one doesnt agree with you, you take disagreement as not understanding, and then say it again, and again, and again. I'm confused ... do you yhink Wii is a soped up Gamecube????? Please, don't answer that.

BrokenFlight
09-22-2006, 05:21 PM
Are you tired? You've done a lot of back peddling.You bitch about things in one post, and then claim not be bothered by them in the next, and repeat on an endless loop. What's worse is you repeat the same stuff over and over and when some one doesnt agree with you, you take disagreement as not understanding, and then say it again, and again, and again. I'm confused ... do you yhink Wii is a soped up Gamecube????? Please, don't answer that.

I don't know why you think you mean a lot to me.

Do you honestly not know? Nearly every post you've made recently has been attacking Anthony. I'm not going to take sides but you're getting pretty annoying.

Anthony1
09-22-2006, 05:49 PM
You bitch about things in one post, and then claim not be bothered by them in the next, and repeat on an endless loop.

Well, the things that I've been "supposedly" bitching about, like the $249.99 price, and the power of the system, I don't think I would qualify them as bitching, more like gripes. Sure, I would prefer no pack in and a $199.99 price, and I would also prefer the system to be more of a real next gen system, but these are just minor gripes. They really aren't that big of a deal. Reactions to my posts have made them a big deal, and I've come back in to defend my original takes. The reason why I'm not bothered by them, is because they were never that big of a deal in the first place. It's just more general whinning if you will.

It's like somebody bitching about the price of gas before filling up their tank with 89 octane. The big mistake is that I did it in a forum with alot of hardcore Nintendo lovers and every little gripe I had was turned into me being a huge Anti-Nintendo guy. So when the posts popped up, telling me to fuck off and such, I tried to kinda defend myself.

Lord_Magus
09-22-2006, 06:17 PM
Unlike their competition, Nintendo focuses on optimizing and properly desiging their systems, something which undoubtedly takes a large amount of time and effort. (http://wii.nintendo.com/iwata_asks_vol1_p1.html) Who is naive enough to overlook that they managed to cram a system 2-3 times more powerful than the Gamecube in a shell which doesn't exceed the size of 3 DVD cases?

Anyway, the bottom line is this: Nintendo makes quality hardware. Although the Wii may not be the powerhouse the 360 and PS3 are, using the Gamecube as the base for the Wii has allowed Nintendo the following advantages:

1) Nintendo can actually make a profit on their systems from day one, and not lose millions of dollars by essentially buying their position in the marketplace
2) The consumer doesn't have to pay out of the ass for the Wii
3) Reliability. You won't need to spend even more money fixing the console every few months
4) Instant backwards compatibility without any hassles
5) Easy game development and low development costs (many companies have felt encouraged to make games for the Wii because of this).
6) Last time I checked, the Wii dev kit will be sold for as low as $2000. Combined with 5, this implies increased 3rd party support.
7) The console doesn't look like a redesigned PC :P

So in the end, both Nintendo and the consumers benefit from it. You may not be getting the graphical power of its competitors, but you'll be getting a system powerful enough to produce high-quality games, which is all that matters. If anyone here isn't happy with playing games that look 2-3 times as good as Resident Evil 4, then maybe you should examine your eyes or simply switch to PC gaming instead. ;)

Garry Silljo
09-22-2006, 07:54 PM
Well, the things that I've been "supposedly" bitching about, like the $249.99 price, and the power of the system, I don't think I would qualify them as bitching, more like gripes. Sure, I would prefer no pack in and a $199.99 price, and I would also prefer the system to be more of a real next gen system, but these are just minor gripes. They really aren't that big of a deal. Reactions to my posts have made them a big deal, and I've come back in to defend my original takes. The reason why I'm not bothered by them, is because they were never that big of a deal in the first place. It's just more general whinning if you will.

So you are defending the use of certain adjectives against you instead of the actual allegations? Bitching, griping, whinning. Do you realize these words all mean the same thing? Honestly, I know my being annoyed by you annoys others, and I try to stay awya, because for someone who thinks there is a dark well drawn line between words that mean the same thing, you can't win. However, since you post this tripe almost EVERYWHERE, the only way to avoid you is to not come here at all. I like it here. I'll just try harder to stomach you ..... and figure out your new English.

For those of you who don't enjoy my bitching about Anthony, I'm not bitching... I'm whinning .... Good save huh Anthony! :roll: