PDA

View Full Version : Zelda: Twilight Princess on GCN vs. Wii

Lady Jaye
09-15-2006, 10:13 AM
Aside from the screen res, are there any known major differences between the GCN and the Wii versions of Twilight Princess? Obviously, the game won't control the same way with the wiimote/nunchuk and the GCN controller, but will the game itself be differnt at all (ie. extra missions or what not in the Wii version)?

MarkMan
09-15-2006, 02:19 PM
The only difference I know now, is the release date :(

Nov. 19th for Wii

Dec. 11th for GCN.

Anthony1
09-15-2006, 02:32 PM
Personally, I think the release date is a clever ploy for Nintendo do get more of their fan base buying a Wii. With a game like Zelda, knowing that it's available out there, but you just need a Wii to play it, well every day that they can't play it is like torture. I guarantee you that this 23 day delay is going to sell them more Wii systems. There are a large number of hardcore Nintendo fanboys with GameCube's that would have gladly purchased the GameCube version, and while they really want a Wii, they were going to wait on one till later, but the fact that they are going to have to wait an additional 23 days, is going to get them to go into major debt on their credit cards. They aren't going to be able to wait. The only people that are going to be able to wait, are the people who's credit cards are already maxed out, and they have no choice. It's a brilliant but devious move by Nintendo to do that.

Lady Jaye
09-15-2006, 02:49 PM
Oh yeah, because we'd all rather not have a major Nintendo game release coming out with the Wii...

And for fuck's sake, you make it sound like the Wii version will cost twice as much as the GCN one. The price difference is $10. Now, if the only difference is the control scheme and the screen res, it's not worth it. But how do you know that it'll be the exact 100% same game on both platforms?

I want concrete info from anyone who might know if there is any difference or not in terms of game contents. And maybe no one knows right now, except for Nintendo insiders. Either way, I was asking for info, not a fucking mad rant about how it's a fucking conspiration by Nintendo...

Anthony1
09-15-2006, 03:02 PM
Oh yeah, because we'd all rather not have a major Nintendo game release coming out with the Wii...

And for fuck's sake, you make it sound like the Wii version will cost twice as much as the GCN one. The price difference is $10. Now, if the only difference is the control scheme and the screen res, it's not worth it. But how do you know that it'll be the exact 100% same game on both platforms?

I want concrete info from anyone who might know if there is any difference or not in terms of game contents. And maybe no one knows right now, except for Nintendo insiders. Either way, I was asking for info, not a fucking mad rant about how it's a fucking conspiration by Nintendo...

Damn, what are you tripping on. All I said was that I was quite a bit suprised by the fact that the Cube version is being delayed 23 days from the Wii version. I didn't say that it cost $10 more or anything like that! Excuse the F outta me!!! x_x

Lady Jaye
09-15-2006, 03:08 PM
You've been a whiny fanboy all afternoon, whining left and right about what a ripoff the Wii will be, etc. etc. etc. when in fact, it's following traditional trends in console history.

And now, I ask a simple, straight-to-the-point question, and you have to fucking threadjack it with SPECULATION on why Nintendo is delaying the GCN release. We aren't dumbasses, we can all figure out that it's a strategic decision (well, duh!). So if you don't have any CONCRETE answer to give me, stay out of this discussion.

In any case, IF I were to get a Wii in November, I'd still wait till December to get Twilight Princess to see if there's any major difference between the two releases, unless they were confirmed before that.

Anthony1
09-15-2006, 03:22 PM
You've been a whiny fanboy all afternoon, whining left and right about what a ripoff the Wii will be, etc. etc. etc. when in fact, it's following traditional trends in console history.

And now, I ask a simple, straight-to-the-point question, and you have to fucking threadjack it with SPECULATION on why Nintendo is delaying the GCN release. We aren't dumbasses, we can all figure out that it's a strategic decision (well, duh!). So if you don't have any CONCRETE answer to give me, stay out of this discussion.

In any case, IF I were to get a Wii in November, I'd still wait till December to get Twilight Princess to see if there's any major difference between the two releases, unless they were confirmed before that.

If the Wii was a total ripoff, I wouldn't be buying one. Being a little dissapointed with the launch price, and the price of extra controllers, is hardly calling it a ripoff! And as far as it being priced according to traditional trends in console history, I don't disagree with that, but I wasn't the one claiming how my system would be the most affordable, and how I was going to attrack non-gamers and how it would be below $250 and all that crap. That was Nintendo. If Nintendo wasn't boasting so much about how cheap it was going to be, I wouldn't even have blinked an eye. I guess one penny below $250 counts as below $250, but still, you get the idea.

as for me threadjacking, all I did was come in and make a comment about how I was kinda shocked by the 23 day delay. I could have started my own thread about that, but then I would have all the resident Nintendo Fanboys calling me a Bill Gates lover and a Kaz Hirai lover, which is what you guys do anyways. Around here, it appears you can't say a single thing that could be possibly interpreted as less than positive in regards to Nintendo. If you question anything about what Nintendo is doing, you get absolutely blasted. Oh well, all the hate hasn't bothered me before. I'll continue to have my opinions and I'll continue to voice them, and if people want to get their panties in a bunch over it, that's there problem.

On topic, to my knowledge, the only differences are a slight bump in textures, the 480p resolution and the use of the speaker on the Wii-Mote in addition to of course the play mechanics with the Wii controller. From the various podcasts that I've listened to from IGN and GameSpot and 1up and the Editors there that have had actual gametime with the Wii version, they actually prefer to control it with a regular Cube controller. So maybe the Cube version would be a decent version to have. Of course you know me, I'm the resident graphics whore, and high end electronics elitist on these boards, so I'll be opting for the 480p version. lol.

jajaja
09-15-2006, 04:02 PM
The only difference I know now, is the release date :(

Nov. 19th for Wii

Dec. 11th for GCN.

That early? I thought it was delayed to 2007.

Leo_A
09-15-2006, 04:09 PM
"The only people that are going to be able to wait, are the people who's credit cards are already maxed out, and they have no choice. It's a brilliant but devious move by Nintendo to do that."

Or the people that don't want to be swinging their arms around to play a Zelda title such as myself.

Garry Silljo
09-15-2006, 04:13 PM
I've only heard about control scheme differences, like casting the wii-mote like a fishing rod and stuff like that. Fortunately GameVube controllers plug into the wii, so if thats the best way to control it, I'll be set.

Side note: Yeah Lady Jaye!!!! I always love when Anthony gets a dose of truth. Let him have it.

SkiDragon
09-15-2006, 04:36 PM
Somebody said that the Wii version would only use the Wii control. I have heard no confirmation of that, but it's dumb anyway if true.
There is no reason why the Wii cant use both controls.

At the same time, there is no reason why the Gamecube version shouldn't have 480p. Where was this stated? I know its hard to get a hold of the cables, but still. How hard is it to add progressive scan when it's already in the other version?
I was hoping that the Wii cables would be interchangeable with the GC component cables. The ports do look very similar.

Right now, perhaps worse than the price of the Wii, is the fact that it has no really spectacular launch titles. Zelda doesn't count because it's not exclusive. I was going to get Metroid and wait on Zelda. Now I may end up ditching the whole this (which I have reserved) on ebay.

eggwolio
09-15-2006, 05:02 PM
This interview click (http://wii.ign.com/articles/726/726749p1.html)makes me think that there's more than just control differences. Also, Miyamoto said more recently that in the Wii version, Link is right handed, since most people will swing the sword with their right hand. In the GCN version, Link uses his left.

Anthony, I have no issues with your posts really, I'm a lurker much more than a poster and I read many of your posts all the way through. But, for the love of God, it's attract, not attrack. Sorry, that was bugging me. :)

eggwolio
09-15-2006, 05:04 PM
great, we can't edit posts and i don't know how to make a link.

hooray!

this better? (http://wii.ign.com/articles/726/726749p1.html)

heybtbm
09-15-2006, 05:33 PM
It's hilarious how everybody just assumes that they will have found a Wii by the time the Gamecube version of Zelda is released...and actually get to choose which version to get.

heybtbm
09-15-2006, 05:38 PM
At the same time, there is no reason why the Gamecube version shouldn't have 480p. Where was this stated? I know its hard to get a hold of the cables, but still. How hard is it to add progressive scan when it's already in the other version?

Nintendo confirmed at E3 that the GC version won't have progressive scan. It's mentioned in last months Game Informer.

Anthony1
09-15-2006, 05:42 PM
Anthony, I have no issues with your posts really, I'm a lurker much more than a poster and I read many of your posts all the way through. But, for the love of God, it's attract, not attrack. Sorry, that was bugging me. :)

Yeah, the lack of the edit button is really killing me. You see, my normal style is that I type things out super quick and just hit "Submit" and then later I go back and edit out all my mistakes, but with no edit button, obviously that's not possible. I can assure you that I know my grammer and whatnot, lol, but I just type crap super fast and I like to post it right away. I'm going to have to force myself to learn to use the "Preview" button more often, lol.

by the way, my use of "whatnot" was a joke, I hope you got that. LOL

Mayhem
09-15-2006, 07:03 PM
Also, Miyamoto said more recently that in the Wii version, Link is right handed, since most people will swing the sword with their right hand. In the GCN version, Link uses his left.

Being a leftie this detail had not gone un-noticed by myself that Link in all the Wii shots so far was holding the sword in his right when in every game previous he's been holding it in his left.

Having said that, I'm a fucked-up-in-the-brain leftie who can play rightie perfectly well at the same level. Needless to say I'd probably play all Wii games with the nunchuck in left and Wiimote in right anyhow. It's how I work it currently, I always have the look-around on right stick even though I'm left handed!

NintenDk
09-16-2006, 12:19 AM
a Kaz Hirai lover,

Who? LOL ;)

NintenDk
09-16-2006, 12:25 AM

Nintendo confirmed at E3 that the GC version won't have progressive scan. It's mentioned in last months Game Informer.

well there is always 480i on the gamecube version at least you can still get use out of your component cables

SkiDragon
09-16-2006, 12:53 AM
I am pretty sure 480i is the same thing as "regular" TV.

NintenDk
09-16-2006, 01:57 AM
I am pretty sure 480i is the same thing as "regular" TV.

well 480i uses the component cable that 480p uses while "regular tv" does not figuratively speaking. Its all high definition TV but not true HD 1080p like resident RGB affeciendos would say.

thats a nice choice of avatar btw :)... however I'm not sure what you mean by regular tv. If you mean a composite cable connection (red,white,yellow cable) then no its not the same.

09-16-2006, 02:43 AM
What the hell? The Gamecube version doesn't support 480p? Well, that is certainly disappointing, although I'm still holding out for the GC version since I have no plans to buy a Wii anytime soon. I just hope the GC version actually comes out. The backlash against Nintendo would probably be pretty bad if they cancelled it at this late hour, but you never know. :/

NintenDk
09-16-2006, 07:50 PM
as lonf as you have a HD capable monitor with a good refresh setting 480I should own you 8-)

JJNova
09-16-2006, 08:34 PM
Personally, I think the release date is a clever ploy for Nintendo do get more of their fan base buying a Wii.

No, not really a "clever" ploy, just basic common sense. When a Zelda game is announced, it's generally the most anticipated title of the year. Maybe not to YOU, but to the general populace that utilizes video games for entertainment (or as their life).

There are a large number of hardcore Nintendo fanboys with GameCube's that would have gladly purchased the GameCube version, and while they really want a Wii, they were going to wait on one till later..."

Hardcore Nintendo Fanboys are not going to be content with the GameCube version of the game. Nintendo fanboys want a Wii right now, although they haven't seen, smelled, touched, or ate one yet. The hardcore fanboys have already folded peices of paper to create a mock Wiimote for their wall of Nintendo. I don't understand the logic behind hardcore followers preferring the outdated version as opposed to the unknown future, which is where their blind faith shines brightest.

...but the fact that they are going to have to wait an additional 23 days, is going to get them to go into major debt on their credit cards. They aren't going to be able to wait. The only people that are going to be able to wait, are the people who's credit cards are already maxed out, and they have no choice. It's a brilliant but devious move by Nintendo to do that."
I really, really, REALLY can't comprehend how you've repeated this point on more than one occassion. If a $300 dollar purchase, that you know you will make 2 months ahead of time, really puts you in "major debt", you've probably got other things to concentrate on other than yout gaming habit. Matter of fact, if 300 dollars is a "major debt" at anytime in your life, you should probably look into putting job applications in at the other child labor factories. True, the guy that just got hurt at work and is being refused workers comp so he is feeding his 3 children and wife on just the income generated through her housemaid job and welfare, wont be able to buy one for the kiddies this christmas season. BUT, as a grown individual, that is in love with the Zelda series, if you can not possibly save 300 dollars with a two month headstart before launch, you need a work ethic.

300 dollars is not major debt. 300 dollars is collecting empty aluminum cans for 30 minutes each night after work for 2 weeks.

Anthony1
09-17-2006, 01:35 AM
JJNova: Ok man, I see you've decided to join the "attack Anthony1 at any opportunity crowd", and that's great, but you are kinda overblowing this whole thing. Let me re-explain my point and see if you still vehemently disagree with me. First, I would like to say...apologies to Lady Jaye for officially fucking up her thread, but I have to answer to this ish.

Now, the point that I was trying to make up there, and obviously I must not have done a very good job of it, but the point that I was trying to make, is that there are alot of big time fans of Nintendo that aren't quite as financially equiped as you or me or maybe anybody else on these boards. Contrary to poplular opinion, there are actually people out there that have alot of financial issues, and they can't afford to drop $366.31 at the drop of a hat, regardless if it's a new Nintendo system or not. (If you want to know how I got the $366.31, then check one of the other anti-Anthony1 threads and you will come to understand what I'm talking about) Now, these same people will definitely be getting a Nintendo Wii, in the very near future, just not at launch. They will get a Wii when they can, but they can't afford to run out and get one at launch, right in the middle of the holidays, when they need a new green machine for Billy and braces for Trixie. Not everybody has $366.31 burning a hole in their pocket. Go to that other thread, and see how many people chimed in to say that they would definitely be getting a Nintendo Wii, just not right away.

Now, I already know what you are going to say. You're going to say that those people aren't true fanboys. If they aren't willing to donate blood or sperm to get a Wii, then they aren't real fanboys, well, you can have that take if you want, and maybe they aren't the super duper hardcore fanboys, but they are still very much fans of Nintendo products. So it just comes down to degrees of fanboyism.

Now, these people that I'm talking about, they really want a Nintendo Wii, but they know that they will probably have to hold off for a while before buying one. Sometime in 2007 they will be able to get one, maybe for their birthday or something like that, but they have kids and with Christmas and everything, times are just too hard, and they just can't justify shelling out $300 plus for one right now (I'm talking tax and a extra game or accessories, etc, etc). So they really want one, but they have to put in on the backburner. Now, what they do happen to have is a GameCube. And they have been dreaming of the new Zelda for a long time, and the fact of the matter is, that Zelda really is a GameCube game anyways, so they aren't going to miss a whole helluvalot by not having the Wii version. In fact, they might get a version with controls that are better for that particular game by sticking with the Cube version anyways.

But, having said all of that, the fact that Zelda is going to be available on November 19th, and you know that there is going to be tons and tons of hype surrounding that, they are going to be well aware of the fact that Zelda on store shelves now, but they had planned to get the Cube version all along. They felt they would be fine wtih the Cube version, and eventually they would be getting a Wii, but that would be later on down the road. So they had their minds made up about getting the Cube version of Zelda, but they were totally blindsided by the fact that "THEIR" version of Zelda would be delayed 23 days or whatever. And waiting 23 days is going to fucking eat away at them. That's the problem. It's going to eat at them inside. Because, even though they aren't the hardest of hardcore Nintendo fanboys, they are still big time fans of Nintendo, and big time fans of Zelda, and they want to play the game now, they don't want to wait 23 days. But again, at the same time, they got some financial issues, and they really can't afford to drop $300 like that, when they would be perfectly happy with the Cube version of Zelda. But what some of these people are going to do, is they are going to move Heaven and Earth to figure out some kind of way to get their hands on a Wii and Zelda, because they just can't deal with waiting 23 days, and that is why I said that it's a Brilliant but Devious strategy by Nintendo.

This whole thing was just a throwaway concept anyways, and it really wasn't made out to be such a big deal, I was just throwing something out there, but if you want to trip out on the whole thing, then I guess I'll go ahead and elaborate for you. Now....Do you understand what I meant? Also, I'm not trying to knock Nintendo for that, it's a great strategy on their part and if Microsoft or Sony was in the same shoes, they would do the same exact thing. It's just a smart business practice, but it's just something that when I first saw that 23 day delay, I said, "Damn, that's going to piss alot of Cube owners off to a major degree!"

Garry Silljo
09-17-2006, 02:07 AM
JJNova: Ok man, I see you've decided to join the "attack Anthony1 at any opportunity crowd", and that's great, but you are kinda overblowing this whole thing. Let me re-explain my point and see if you still vehemently disagree with me. First, I would like to say...apologies to Lady Jaye for officially fucking up her thread, but I have to answer to this ish.

Now, the point that I was trying to make up there, and obviously I must not have done a very good job of it, but the point that I was trying to make, is that there are alot of big time fans of Nintendo that aren't quite as financially equiped as you or me or maybe anybody else on these boards. Contrary to poplular opinion, there are actually people out there that have alot of financial issues, and they can't afford to drop $366.31 at the drop of a hat, regardless if it's a new Nintendo system or not. (If you want to know how I got the $366.31, then check one of the other anti-Anthony1 threads and you will come to understand what I'm talking about) Now, these same people will definitely be getting a Nintendo Wii, in the very near future, just not at launch. They will get a Wii when they can, but they can't afford to run out and get one at launch, right in the middle of the holidays, when they need a new green machine for Billy and braces for Trixie. Not everybody has $366.31 burning a hole in their pocket. Go to that other thread, and see how many people chimed in to say that they would definitely be getting a Nintendo Wii, just not right away.

Now, I already know what you are going to say. You're going to say that those people aren't true fanboys. If they aren't willing to donate blood or sperm to get a Wii, then they aren't real fanboys, well, you can have that take if you want, and maybe they aren't the super duper hardcore fanboys, but they are still very much fans of Nintendo products. So it just comes down to degrees of fanboyism.

Now, these people that I'm talking about, they really want a Nintendo Wii, but they know that they will probably have to hold off for a while before buying one. Sometime in 2007 they will be able to get one, maybe for their birthday or something like that, but they have kids and with Christmas and everything, times are just too hard, and they just can't justify shelling out $300 plus for one right now (I'm talking tax and a extra game or accessories, etc, etc). So they really want one, but they have to put in on the backburner. Now, what they do happen to have is a GameCube. And they have been dreaming of the new Zelda for a long time, and the fact of the matter is, that Zelda really is a GameCube game anyways, so they aren't going to miss a whole helluvalot by not having the Wii version. In fact, they might get a version with controls that are better for that particular game by sticking with the Cube version anyways.

But, having said all of that, the fact that Zelda is going to be available on November 19th, and you know that there is going to be tons and tons of hype surrounding that, they are going to be well aware of the fact that Zelda on store shelves now, but they had planned to get the Cube version all along. They felt they would be fine wtih the Cube version, and eventually they would be getting a Wii, but that would be later on down the road. So they had their minds made up about getting the Cube version of Zelda, but they were totally blindsided by the fact that "THEIR" version of Zelda would be delayed 23 days or whatever. And waiting 23 days is going to fucking eat away at them. That's the problem. It's going to eat at them inside. Because, even though they aren't the hardest of hardcore Nintendo fanboys, they are still big time fans of Nintendo, and big time fans of Zelda, and they want to play the game now, they don't want to wait 23 days. But again, at the same time, they got some financial issues, and they really can't afford to drop $300 like that, when they would be perfectly happy with the Cube version of Zelda. But what some of these people are going to do, is they are going to move Heaven and Earth to figure out some kind of way to get their hands on a Wii and Zelda, because they just can't deal with waiting 23 days, and that is why I said that it's a Brilliant but Devious strategy by Nintendo.

This whole thing was just a throwaway concept anyways, and it really wasn't made out to be such a big deal, I was just throwing something out there, but if you want to trip out on the whole thing, then I guess I'll go ahead and elaborate for you. Now....Do you understand what I meant? Also, I'm not trying to knock Nintendo for that, it's a great strategy on their part and if Microsoft or Sony was in the same shoes, they would do the same exact thing. It's just a smart business practice, but it's just something that when I first saw that 23 day delay, I said, "Damn, that's going to piss alot of Cube owners off to a major degree!"

Yeah, as much as you are trying to champion the plight of the poor man, you just don't know what you're talking about. Anyone who is in the financial situation you describe knows the ways of paycheck to paycheck living and how to track every cent to last possible second of need. These people with an experienced knowledge (x amount of money) = (x amount of time) can do less than a month of waiting with no problem, standing on their heads. If they can't afford it, they will wait, they have learned.

All your bitching on prices and strategies for the greedy Nintendo to make more profits would have more impact if we didnt all know you were faking this poor man act. If you were stretched so tight, you wouldnt be planning on buying Wii with extras AND PS3 most likely with extras at launch.

SkiDragon
09-17-2006, 03:56 AM
well 480i uses the component cable that 480p uses while "regular tv" does not figuratively speaking. Its all high definition TV but not true HD 1080p like resident RGB affeciendos would say.

thats a nice choice of avatar btw :)... however I'm not sure what you mean by regular tv. If you mean a composite cable connection (red,white,yellow cable) then no its not the same.

I meant that it is the same resolution as normal TV, and is not progressive scan, like normal TV. A non HDTV can display 480i. I don't own an HDTV but I have many things hooked up with component cables, because they are marginally better than s-video and definitely better than composite.

Anthony1
09-17-2006, 11:27 AM
All your bitching on prices and strategies for the greedy Nintendo to make more profits would have more impact if we didnt all know you were faking this poor man act. If you were stretched so tight, you wouldnt be planning on buying Wii with extras AND PS3 most likely with extras at launch.

there are alot of big time fans of Nintendo that aren't quite as financially equiped as you or me or maybe anybody else on these boards

Man, our current education system is really failing our children. Simple understanding of reading comprehension has really gone down these days. It's quite sad. :(

Garry Silljo
09-17-2006, 03:49 PM

there are alot of big time fans of Nintendo that aren't quite as financially equiped as you or me or maybe anybody else on these boards

Man, our current education system is really failing our children. Simple understanding of reading comprehension has really gone down these days. It's quite sad. :(

Whatever. You either didn't see my point or refused to. Your quote admits you have more money than SOME people but doesn't eliminate all the penny pinching bitchery you've been spewing about. You can say I can't read, but the problem isn't that I can't understand what you are saying, it's that I remember what you've said before, and so I'm not buying.

I'm washing my hands of you for now. I don't have time to try and numb my brain enough to speak at you.

Got some NES to play... see ya bye.

slip81
09-17-2006, 04:21 PM
The only difference between the two versions of the game is a dungeon in the Wii version where at the end Link can fuck Zelda over Ganon's corpse.

Garry Silljo
09-17-2006, 06:02 PM
The only difference between the two versions of the game is a dungeon in the Wii version where at the end Link can fuck Zelda over Ganon's corpse.

Whats the Wii version rated again? Hot Coffee all over x_x

Wavelflack
09-17-2006, 09:44 PM

...because with the added graphics power of the Wii, they were able to go "Lucas-style" and give Link a CGI pecker that isn't flaccid around women.

Berserker
09-17-2006, 11:11 PM
Dear Anthony1,

Just give it a rest man. Please.

Sincerely,
Me

Sothy
09-17-2006, 11:17 PM
250$ is a ripoff without RGB SUPPORT

Lady Jaye
09-17-2006, 11:19 PM
Thank you all for threadjacking.