PDA

View Full Version : Has a game ever turned you on to a band?

shopkins
09-15-2006, 05:54 PM
Some types of games like skateboarding and racing games have featured licensed music for a while now. Since people don't usually buy games based on or even with knowledge of the music in them, they seem a likely medium to expose people to stuff they haven't heard.

Recently, I learned to slightly tolerate Theory of A Deadman after playing Indigo Prophecy. Before the game, all I knew was they came from the same garbage heap as Nickelback.

But a game actually got me interested in one of my favorite artists. There was this PSX skating game, Street Sk8er, that had a song by Weston called "Liz Phair." Sort of a stalkery love ode to her and her songwriting ability.

"You look so pretty in your video,
And you write better songs, than anyone I know."

It was really the only thing I liked about the game, and I played it for a while just to listen to it. I didn't get in to Weston, but I wanted to see what he was babbling about so later I bought "Exile In Guyville" by Liz Phair and now she's one of my favorite female songwriters.

Also from a skating game, one of the Dead Kennedy's songs, "Police Truck," was in a Dreamcast Version of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater. That helped get me interested in them. Tony Hawk three had "Ace of Spades" in it, too, and that helped me get interested in Motorhead.

What bands or artists have you discovered through games?

Imstarryeyed
09-15-2006, 05:56 PM
Yes Incredible Crisis for the PS1 turned me onto the Tokyo Ska Paradise, these guys are great!

Richter
09-15-2006, 06:55 PM
Jet Grind Radio - Guitar Vader

Jasoco
09-15-2006, 07:06 PM
I have every song from Ouendan in its original Japanese Pop version. They all rock.

Other than that, no. I do have "Justified" from the end of Dead Rising by Drea, and "Late Goodbye" from Max Payne 2 by Poets of the Fall, but I don't like any more of their songs.

Usually it's just one song and that's it. I RARELY like all or even 25% of an artists songs. (Not counting classic stuff like Queen, Styx, Billy Joel, Genesis...)

Alucard79
09-15-2006, 07:13 PM
:rocker: Apocolypse on PS had videos playing in the background that were of System Of A Down before they were well known. It got me to listening to them. I think it was Test Drive 4 (maybe 5) on PS that had videos you could unlock that had Fear Factory. I really liked their music and bought a few of their cd's after hearing it. My favorite was pong though, who could ever top the famous tune of beep...boop...blip.... \^_^/

Synergy
09-15-2006, 07:19 PM
The first Tony Hawk's Pro Skater had "New Girl" from The Suicide Machines on it. Since then, I've listened to more of their stuff and like it.

Flack
09-15-2006, 07:30 PM
One great one for me was Test Drive 5. I was already into Fear Factory, but that game introduced me to Pitchshifter and Junkie XL.

The Tony Hawk soundtracks have always been good. I remember discovering Speedealer, Powerman 5000 and Fu Manchu through them.

Kid Ice
09-15-2006, 08:41 PM
N2O- The Crystal Method

Anthony1
09-16-2006, 12:58 AM
Yep, Road Rash for the 3DO has turned me on to several bands.

Paw
Swervedriver
Soundgarden
Therapy?
Monster Magnet
Hammerbox

All of that is early 90's grunge/Nirvana type music, but after playing Road Rash for the 3DO awhile back, I remembered how much I loved that soundtrack, even though that's not my normal musical style. I especially like the Paw album, "Dragline". Swervedriver has a couple of cool albums and of course Soundgarden. The other's aren't quite as good, but they have some good songs that fit in with the rest of the soundtrack. The funny thing is, the soundtrack only plays during the start up screens, and the menu screens, it doesn't actually play while you are "in game".

RARusk
09-16-2006, 01:09 AM
In my case it was not a band but a composer:

"Hitman 2: Silent Assassin" - Jesper Kyd

When I popped in the demo into my PS2 and ran it, I was floored by the main title at the menu screen. The music sold me on the game as much as the game itself did. I own the promotional music disc for "Hitman 2" (has about half of the music but has some of the best parts including the incredible main title), the "Hitman: Contracts", and "Hitman: Blood Money" CDs. Jesper Kyd rocks. Seriously.

You can also go to his website at www.jesperkyd.com (http://www.jesperkyd.com).

dgordon86
09-16-2006, 01:15 AM
Don't forget maximum carnage.

Green Jelly!

"hello jello, green jello!"

Cambot
09-16-2006, 02:18 AM
FIFA 2004 (I think)

Zeca Pagodinho
Tribalistas

nate1749
09-16-2006, 02:24 AM
Infected by Bad Religion in guitar hero. I had heard of them, but only knew of one other song by them.

Sylentwulf
09-16-2006, 08:24 AM
Etro Anime from the Megaten DDS game is GREAT. Other than that, not muych.

Ed Oscuro
09-16-2006, 06:30 PM
Funny this topic should pop up; I always enjoy the music from Apocalypse (PS1, Bruce Willis), and while it's essentially an advertising vehicle for popular bands (of 1998...er, 1997? POE got top billing...) there's some decent stuff on it, although the only band recognizable today is System of a Down. Fun game; disappointing non-ending.

DigitalSpace
09-16-2006, 06:43 PM
-GTA: Vice City got me into Anthrax.
-GTA: San Andreas got me into Boston and Heart.
-Burnout 3 got me into silent drive, Eighteen Visions, and Rise Against.
-Crazy Taxi got me into Bad Religion.

Mr.FoodMonster
09-16-2006, 07:12 PM
Frequency/Amplitude got me into Freezepop.

heyricochet
09-16-2006, 08:58 PM
Yes Incredible Crisis for the PS1 turned me onto the Tokyo Ska Paradise, these guys are great!

Really? I love them, I have to get this game now. Is it used a lot in the game?

Half Japanese
09-16-2006, 11:03 PM
But a game actually got me interested in one of my favorite artists. There was this PSX skating game, Street Sk8er, that had a song by Weston called "Liz Phair." Sort of a stalkery love ode to her and her songwriting ability.

"You look so pretty in your video,
And you write better songs, than anyone I know."

It was really the only thing I liked about the game, and I played it for a while just to listen to it. I didn't get in to Weston, but I wanted to see what he was babbling about so later I bought "Exile In Guyville" by Liz Phair and now she's one of my favorite female songwriters.

Fucking A. I don't listen to a lot of the stuff I liked off of it anymore, but I used to love the Street Sk8er soundtrack. If you do branch out and check out Weston, most of their stuff is solid except for "The Massed Albert Sounds." That one's way too overpolished (despite their claims in the liner notes that each song was recorded in 2 takes or less). Oddly enough, the version of Liz Phair in Street Sk8er isn't on any of their albums to my knowledge. It appears in an overproduced form in the aforementioned Massed Albert record, and it's nowhere near as good.

Also, respect for the mention of Guitar Vader, although I haven't liked anything else of theirs as much as their JGR tracks.

One interesting tidbit about licensed music in games: Microsoft recently lost a lawsuit from the band Ink & Dagger for 3 songs that appeared on the Amped soundtrack without the band's permission. To quote a short piece on it:

THE FEDERAL court case of Ink & Dagger v. Microsoft has been settled, both parties have confirmed.

In October we reported that Ryan McLaughlin, former drummer of the vampire-dressing punk act, had sued Microsoft, accusing Bill Gates' corporation of copyright infringement for using three songs without permission from the group's 1998 CD "The Fine Art of Original Sin," on a snowboarding video game, "Amped," for Microsoft's XBOX system.

McLaughlin's bandmates Don DeVore, Josh Brown, Jennifer Layne Park and the estate of late singer Sean McCabe later got involved in the lawsuit.

Terms of the settlement, believed to include a cash payout to the band, are confidential. "All the plaintiffs are more than satisfied with the outcome," was all the band's attorney Conor Corcoran would say yesterday. A Microsoft spokesman said the case has been "successfully resolved."

RCM
09-16-2006, 11:37 PM
Frequency/Amplitude got me into Freezepop.

I talked to Liz from FP and she told me they're finishing up their new album. Can't wait to listen!

Gapporin
09-16-2006, 11:43 PM

Really? I love them, I have to get this game now. Is it used a lot in the game?

They did the entire soundtrack.

I so want that OST.

delafro
09-17-2006, 06:50 AM
I'll second you on "Ace of Spades" in Tony Hawk 3. Man, that was awesome. Currently, I'm playing Gran Turismo 4, and there is some good music in there. I like "So Long Baby Goodbye", has kind of a rockabilly sound to it, and somehow it really works while driving your suped-up RX-7 at Fuji Speedway.

The Shawn
09-17-2006, 09:19 AM
Don't forget "Immortal" In Deadly Aliance by Edema. That song really rocks. :rocker:

Iron Draggon
09-17-2006, 09:45 AM
Road Rash 3D turned me on to alot of bands. After I got the soundtrack CD, I bought several albums from most of the bands featured on it. I think it's a good idea to feature new bands without much of a following yet in video games.

Gemini-Phoenix
09-17-2006, 10:11 AM
Feeder's early stuff can be heard on Gran Turismo. Now I can't listen to certain Feeder tracks without thinking of Gran Turismo III (Just A Day; Seven Days In The Sun; Buck Rogers) ~ Same for Garbage's "As Heaven Is Wide" from Gran Turismo. I would say that this was possibly the turner for me, and I probably wouldn't have known about Feeder if it wasn't for playing these games

Whilst not exactly turning me onto these bands, it was also great to hear some classics in Wipeout III, such as Paul Van Dyk's "Avenue". I also love Motorhead's "Ace Of Spades" in Tony Hawk III which is an all time favourite and a certified classic track and well suited to the game.

And don't forget Guitar Hero which probably has had the biggest influence on me. Some bands and songs I already knew, but that game opened up some new doors for me and turned me on to other bands. From The Ramones "I Wanna Be Sedated", Bad Religion's "Infected", The Exies "Hey You", Audioslave's "Conchise", The Donna's "Take It Off", Incubus's "Stellar", Burning Brides "Heart Full Of Black", and Helmet's "Unsung"

The game also sparked new interest in older tracks that I once loved listening to my parent's old 7 inches ~ Killer Queen; Ziggy Stardust; More Than A Feeling; Smoke On The Water; And Iron Man are all songs that I have grown up with

Nice to hear some tracks that I play on a daily basis too. Higher Ground, No One Knows, Fat Lip, and Take Me Out are just a few that have been belted out over and over in recent times

Kroogah
09-17-2006, 10:33 AM
THPS1:
Even Rude
Goldfinger (heard of them, never heard 'em)
The Ernies

THPS2:
Styles Of Beyond
Fu Manchu

THPS3:
AFI (heard of them, never heard 'em)
Ozomatli
The Adolescents
The Nextmen
Mad Capsule Markets

THPS4:
Aesop Rock
Agent Orange (heard of them, never heard 'em)
Flogging Molly
Haiku D'Etat
The Faction

THUG:
S.O.D.
Busdriver
J-Live
Juggaknots
L.A. Symphony
The Herbaliser
Refused
Rise Against
Social Distortion (heard of them, never heard 'em)
Stiff Little Fingers (heard of them, never heard 'em)

THUG 2:
The Melvins (heard of them, never heard 'em)
Joy Division (their early years anyway)
The Dead Boys (heard of them, never heard 'em)
The Germs (heard of them, never heard 'em)
Libretto

THAW:
Sham 69 (heard of them, never heard 'em)
Fatlip
Breakestra (heard of them, never heard 'em)

heyricochet
09-17-2006, 11:32 AM
Nice to hear some tracks that I play on a daily basis too. Higher Ground, No One Knows, Fat Lip, and Take Me Out are just a few that have been belted out over and over in recent times

Higher ground messes me up because I play the bass, which is slap bass in that song and my mind always wants to play that completely different line when I play that song.

j_factor
09-17-2006, 10:57 PM
I think WipEout probably got me into all those groups that are featured on it. I'd heard Prodigy before, but the rest was new to me.

Jet Grind Radio got me into Guitar Vader (I bought three of their albums), and Jet Set Radio Future kind of made me buy Cibo Matto's album (though I already knew them).

Twisted Metal 4 introduced me to Cirrus, which I became a big fan of.

killersquirel
09-17-2006, 11:10 PM
The Bally Midway arcade game Journey Escape got me into one of the greatest bands of all time Journey.

Don't stop believing...

-mike

PFCHudson
09-17-2006, 11:36 PM
DDRmax2 and DDRExtreme got me into 4 Strings. They are a really cool techno/electronica group. Their sound harks back to the early nineties. So I can re-live those glory days, lol.

Ian

briskbc
09-18-2006, 01:28 AM
Well, I haven't actually purchased an album from any of these bands but that's just because I haven't found anything used.

SSX Tricky - Bonecracker by Shocore
BurnOut 3 - Just Tonight.. by Jimmy Eat World

graboid9
09-18-2006, 01:50 AM
Im right ther with you anthony1... Paw on road rash 3DO. Road rash for the 3DO was the first game i bought that had full songs on it. I went from 16 bit bleeps and bloops the full on songs and it amazed me.

Captain Wrong
09-27-2006, 08:41 AM
Even better, I got into Jurassic 5 because an Official Dreamcast Magazine Demo disc had the video for Quality Control on it. (Too bad their albums have been a steady decline since then.)

Half Japanese
09-27-2006, 02:27 PM
Even better, I got into Jurassic 5 because an Official Dreamcast Magazine Demo disc had the video for Quality Control on it. (Too bad their albums have been a steady decline since then.)

Hell yeah, I remember that and have that demo lying around here somewhere. I had only heard them previously on Jet Grind Radio. At least the new J5 album isn't as boring as the new Cut Chemist (neither of which I would buy, but both of which I have to hear at work).

I almost forgot to mention that the Xbox mech game Phantom Crash had a killer Japanese soundtrack. That's where I first heard Electric Eel Shock, though I think they're the only band on there with releases outside of Japan. All things considered, and soundtrack nonwithstanding, that's easily the best mech game on the Xbox.

Daniel Thomas
09-28-2006, 02:31 AM
Jet Grind Radio - Guitar Vader

Yeah, I was just gonna say that. Jet Set Radio had a couple of great GV songs, and at the time they had a page on mp3.com which included free downloads of all their albums up to that point. It was a great opportunity to check them out, and score a pile of free music at the same time.

Which reminds me, I really need to buy the rest of their music so I'm caught up. The most recent one I have is 2001's From Dusk (a great album, btw).

2Dskillz
09-28-2006, 06:35 AM
Way of the Warrior - White Zombie

Omnikron The Nomad Soul - David Bowie

Daltone
09-30-2006, 03:54 PM
Duke Nukem - A Time To Kill made me go out and buy a Stabbing Westward album. Like a lot of people, the THPS soundtracks got me interested in a lot of bands too. Technically, Loaded on the Saturn was the first time that I heard Pop Will Eat Itself, although I didn't know it at the time.