PDA

View Full Version : Echolocation kid has a Wii

Mr.FoodMonster
09-16-2006, 05:39 PM
I'm sure some of you have heard about the kid that got eye cancer when he was a kid and figured out echolocation to get around in the news the past week or so. Well, on ellen the other day (I have no idea what day) he got a Wii WITH Twilight Princess, along with some other stuff. While I know he boasts that he can play games, I dont know how well he actually can, but this is pretty intresting. I just find it hard to believe that Nintendo has a Wii and TP finished ready to give out 2 months before the release date.

YouTube (crappy quality) link here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrkbI_TDOnQ

chicnstu
09-16-2006, 06:35 PM
Why did his mom say "I never let him see me cry"?

And an even bigger question, why did the blind guy say "Oh, Nintendo Wii? I saw that on the internet."

How can he see the stuff on the internet using sound, I hear nothing coming from my monitor.

I'm not saying he's fake (you can see that his eyes are messed up), it's just hard to believe anything on T.V. now.

JJNova
09-16-2006, 08:37 PM

And an even bigger question, why did the blind guy say "Oh, Nintendo Wii? I saw that on the internet."

How can he see the stuff on the internet using sound, I hear nothing coming from my monitor.

I'm not saying he's fake (you can see that his eyes are messed up), it's just hard to believe anything on T.V. now.

Opera 9. I see plenty of stuff on the internet through my ears. The browser talks to you for people with limited site, or like me, that re just plain lazy.

Neo Rasa
09-16-2006, 10:53 PM
II just find it hard to believe that Nintendo has a Wii and TP finished ready to give out 2 months before the release date.

You're right, they push a button and the systems just materialize out of thin air in stores ten minutes before launch.

Anexanhume
09-16-2006, 11:11 PM

Because, the whole idea was that neither he nor his mom limited him by the conventional definition of sight.

Mr.FoodMonster
09-16-2006, 11:33 PM
I just find it hard to believe that Nintendo has a Wii and TP finished ready to give out 2 months before the release date.

You're right, they push a button and the systems just materialize out of thin air in stores ten minutes before launch.
Well, if you're going to be a dick for no reason, I guess I'll back myself up a bit.

First off, the chip production started not even a month ago. Just the chip. Who knows what else has yet to start or finish production, we don't. The rumored reason as to why it's coming out in November is because Twilight Princess wasn't close enough to completion to come out any sooner, and Nintendo PROMISED that to be a launch title. I also think that if the game had gone gold, had units pressed, and were waiting to be given away, we'd know something about that. I also think we'd see a lot more of them being given away, like in this case. I think if we were talking 2-3 weeks before the launch, that would be understandable, but concidering it's still 7 weeks away, I just don't buy it.

qbertandernie
09-17-2006, 01:50 AM
this is kind of off color, but maybe they figured he couldnt play it anyway, and just made a demo with sound. the wii wouldnt really have to work well, just make sounds with each movement of the control.

im going to repent now....

Ed Oscuro
09-17-2006, 02:05 AM
this is kind of off color, but maybe they figured he couldnt play it anyway, and just made a demo with sound.
There's a bit of a flaw in the theory that game companies make one-off demos for events like this.

Judging from the clip, they used a pre-release system for the giveaway. Just because they aren't making the chips on a large scale until basically now doesn't mean that they don't have any available for special promotions.

Towlie2110
09-17-2006, 08:44 AM
So wait, how the hell can he click his tounge and tell the different pixels on the tv screen when he plays video games? In the vid he was playing a fighting game and he wasn't even looking at the screen.

Maybe he clicks to listen to his friend press his controller pad. Yeah that's plausible...

joshnickerson
09-17-2006, 09:32 AM
Nah, I've read about other blind kids who are able to play games, based on the game sounds, timing, and pure trial and error. One of the few good segments on Attack of the Show featured one such player beating the snot out of Kevin in Mortal Kombat or something like that, then they had a second blind player come in and then they both played against each other.

Just goes to show that if you put your mind to it, you can do anything, no matter what.

Iron Draggon
09-17-2006, 09:41 AM
Nintendo has been doing demos of the Wii by pure magic, they don't have any pre-production demo units for that.

Towlie2110
09-17-2006, 02:01 PM
I can see blind people beating games like Punch out (It's been done) and maybe being good at simple 1 v. 1 fighters. But I just can't see him playing a game like Red steel or aiming the bow in zelda.

Maybe he can sell the system and buy some real eyes

Ed Oscuro
09-17-2006, 02:12 PM
Nah, I've read about other blind kids who are able to play games, based on the game sounds, timing, and pure trial and error. One of the few good segments on Attack of the Show featured one such player beating the snot out of Kevin in Mortal Kombat or something like that, then they had a second blind player come in and then they both played against each other.
Exactly. They even showed this kid playing a one on one fighter; I don't see how you can get any more explicit than that.

Seems pretty amazing to consider that they are running in their mind a simulation of the game - i.e. calculating how far they must be from their opponent, especially when you consider that their enemy is moving around as well.

Roi
09-17-2006, 02:58 PM
What about the poop European kids Nintendo :( !

09-17-2006, 03:26 PM

You're going t hell, dude.

jajaja
09-17-2006, 04:24 PM
Real eyes will come on the market some day. They experiment with some stuff and they got a blind guy to see some stuff. Off-topic, i know :P

Really cool that he got a Wii. Eventho he might not be able to fully enjoy it he have 4 brothers and sisters. The console itself is most likely finished, but i wonder about the Zelda game. Maybe its some final beta that was compiled just for him?

tholly
09-17-2006, 04:30 PM

You're going t hell, dude.

yea, if this kid is truly not a fraud (he appears to really be "seeing" with his ears) then that was a horrible comment.....if he really can see and is just lying, then he is a dick.....

...either way, if this is true, then that kid is amazing....

Towlie2110
09-17-2006, 07:03 PM
I meant it as more of a joke about how much you could sell a wii for before launch. And the stupidity of man not to wait a couple days.

But still, I just cant possibly see him playing a game that requires aim and precision

JJNova
09-17-2006, 07:07 PM
I just find it hard to believe that Nintendo has a Wii and TP finished ready to give out 2 months before the release date.

Well, if you're going to be a dick for no reason, I guess I'll back myself up a bit.

First off, the chip production started not even a month ago. Just the chip. Who knows what else has yet to start or finish production, we don't. The rumored reason as to why it's coming out in November is because Twilight Princess wasn't close enough to completion to come out any sooner, and Nintendo PROMISED that to be a launch title. I also think that if the game had gone gold, had units pressed, and were waiting to be given away, we'd know something about that. I also think we'd see a lot more of them being given away, like in this case. I think if we were talking 2-3 weeks before the launch, that would be understandable, but concidering it's still 7 weeks away, I just don't buy it.

I don't know where you have gotten your news, but apparently you aren't a Nintendo Fanboy, so I'll set it straight. Nintendo has had all the chips necessary to produce the Wii since June. Even if oth ATI and IBm had production issues, I'm sure enough were shipped to make one unit for one boy. Also, Twilight Princess was nearly finished last year, as an interview with Aumo (Auma? the Zelda director) explained in Nintendo Power late last year. Shortly after E3, Iwata (Nintendo President) announced that the Wii would go on sale just before Thanksgiving in order to launch with Christmas spending. So in essence, it only makes sense for them to be producing both the Wii and Twilight Princess already.

Especially since Gamestop's and EB's are getting their Wii Kiosks.

Kitsune Sniper
09-17-2006, 07:12 PM
I'm probably the only one that would call this kid a Daredevil.

tholly
09-17-2006, 08:42 PM

that's how i tried to explain it to ppl, but i couldn't find anyone that actually saw daredevil besides me....

Mr.FoodMonster
09-17-2006, 09:09 PM
I don't know where you have gotten your news, but apparently you aren't a Nintendo Fanboy, so I'll set it straight. Nintendo has had all the chips necessary to produce the Wii since June. Even if oth ATI and IBm had production issues, I'm sure enough were shipped to make one unit for one boy. Also, Twilight Princess was nearly finished last year, as an interview with Aumo (Auma? the Zelda director) explained in Nintendo Power late last year. Shortly after E3, Iwata (Nintendo President) announced that the Wii would go on sale just before Thanksgiving in order to launch with Christmas spending. So in essence, it only makes sense for them to be producing both the Wii and Twilight Princess already.

Especially since Gamestop's and EB's are getting their Wii Kiosks.
That is correct, I'm not a fanboy of any kind. And I do thank you for those corrections, looks like I was wrong. Also, GS and EB has Wiiosks? When did they start getting them in?

Wavelflack
09-17-2006, 09:58 PM
I think it would be fun to make "trick" games for blind people. You know, where it SOUNDS like you are playing Zelda/ Mario/ whatever, but in actuality the onscreen imagery is something degrading to the player. In other words, all of the sound effects, dialogue, and musical score from Zelda are simply overlaid onto a game about visiting interstate rest areas and poking dudes in the ass, or something like that. You could even have an option so the blind kid's face is mapped to the character.

Just imagine the entertainment value!

(blind kid) "Hey guys! I just unlocked new moves! The old guy told me how to thrust!"

("friends") "Cool! You don't mind if we make a video of you playing this, right?"

The Shawn
09-18-2006, 07:56 AM
I think it would be fun to make "trick" games for blind people. You know, where it SOUNDS like you are playing Zelda/ Mario/ whatever, but in actuality the onscreen imagery is something degrading to the player. In other words, all of the sound effects, dialogue, and musical score from Zelda are simply overlaid onto a game about visiting interstate rest areas and poking dudes in the ass, or something like that. You could even have an option so the blind kid's face is mapped to the character.

Just imagine the entertainment value!

(blind kid) "Hey guys! I just unlocked new moves! The old guy told me how to thrust!"

("friends") "Cool! You don't mind if we make a video of you playing this, right?"

That's .................Just....................Wrong...

X_x

Kitsune Sniper
09-18-2006, 10:01 AM

that's how i tried to explain it to ppl, but i couldn't find anyone that actually saw daredevil besides me....
I meant the comic, I've been reading it for years. :P

Towlie2110
09-20-2006, 08:06 PM
The comic is much better than the movie.

And that scenario was hilarious.

You people need to lighten up.

Sothy
09-20-2006, 10:04 PM
Yeah I had a blind chick that came into our game store once in awhile. She would often call up and ask for a specific game.

I always wondered like if she asked for Contra 3 and I just gave her another game and said it was... would she know?