PDA

View Full Version : The Arcade reborn into the 21st century? Maybe!

Raedon
09-20-2006, 12:50 PM
Been looking into this, might just be something getting really warm! Wish the dream good luck!

Blog 1 (http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=13876054&blogID=169774141&MyToken=37579b68-6b76-4045-8d4f-2a5463e58e46)

Blog 2 (http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=13876054&blogID=170290915&MyToken=37579b68-6b76-4045-8d4f-2a5463e58e46)

rbudrick
09-20-2006, 03:35 PM
Crap, myspace is blocked here at work. How about a summation?

-Rob

heyricochet
09-20-2006, 05:27 PM
Basically a guy wants to start an arcade and make it a big center with a BYOC lan, import games sales and such. I dunno, it sounds like what people have tried to do before, but I've never heard about a successful venture in the arcade business recently. The only places I know about is a laser tag arena with mostly redemptions and a ITG machine, Funspot which is classic arcade Mecca, and Tokyo Game Action which is a bemani arcade.

These are all not even within an hour of each other, and its all I can think of besides I guess any Dave and Buster's, or Jillian's which are bars. Thats really the future of arcades, is bars where they have 10 copies of golden tee and other games and everyone gets drunk and plays games. The kid market is all in redemptions machines, and the teenager market is very narrow really only encompassing bemani.

Blanka789
09-20-2006, 10:17 PM
I would definitely be into something like this, although I doubt one would ever be close to where I live.

Raedon
09-20-2006, 10:43 PM
Not thinking HUGE here, like a big lan center. That isn't the thing really. Dave and Busters kinda goes the wrong way. It is a family joint, you bring your kids or girl. This is something new. More adult, more serious. High scores really do bring fame in this dream.

If you know the people involved then you know things are moving out of the ether of a dream into the land of could happen.

heyricochet
09-21-2006, 12:54 AM
Dave and Busters a family joint? Its definitely a bar. Goto www.daveandbusters.com and they talk about happy hour and everything on the front page.

The problem with high scores is that its not really a thing mainstream people care about. Hell, I'm obviously not a mainstream gamer since I'm here and I'm not a high score person. I dunno, I just would never see that taking off in a big way and going national.

Raedon
09-21-2006, 04:04 AM
I think video games are an untapped spectator sport. I'm willing to do the life gamble here.

Raedon
09-21-2006, 04:08 AM
I guess this should have gone into 'modern gaming' so if a mod could do the truffle shuffle please.

googlefest1
09-21-2006, 08:07 AM
dave and busters is more like a tgi fridays -- which to me is not a bar

- i also don't think high scores are that big any more

- video games could be a spectator sport but i dont think the games we have today would cut it

swlovinist
09-21-2006, 09:57 AM
Dave and Busters is kind of both. Yes it serves beer, but it can also house pizza parties. The one I went to in Stockton promoted pizza birthday parties. The whole arcade thing is mostly nostalgia for us and I think will never catch on by any other generation other than the one that grew up with it. Back then games were limited by technology availability. Now, you have a bizillion choices on WHERE to play video games. Billy Joe Bob is not going to trek anywhere(with gas prices the way they are) and pop 50 cents a game. As for high scores, I think that the generation that grew up with it still cares, but as for games....it has almost completely disappeared. Long live games such as Geometry Wars that still promote high score!

diskoboy
09-21-2006, 10:09 AM
Arcades do need to make a comeback. I miss the days of meeting your pals next to the cockpit pole pole position and when $5 in quarters would last you several hours. If you were good, it could almost last the whole day.

Hardware and game prices themselves just got to expensive (thanks inflation!) I remember when I saw the first 50 cent game (to play - not the rapper), I remember being hesitant to play because of the price. And the game was Dragon's Lair, if that says anything..

Every other game in the arcade was 25 cents... What makes this game so much better besides it was fully animated?

If they could intigrate todays tech with yesterdays style gameplay, and find a way to keep prices around 50 cents a game, arcades could definately make a comeback. High scores for example... You could make the games in your arcade internet ready. Make multiplayer games where people at home could play people in arcades (Sega tried this with Alien Front Online which had great potential - but the DC and the Sega name had been fairly tarnished by this time). High scores could be posted on websites instead of just the machine. There are tons of things that could be done to revive the industry.

I just think people have given up trying. The arcades have had 3 heydays as it is... People would just rather stay home and play. Maybe the industry should take a hint from XBLA.

Okay - done babbling.

GaijinPunch
09-26-2006, 11:05 PM
Arcades do need to make a comeback.

True dat, but they will not... ever. Mainstream gamers taste have all migrated to games that are:

-easy
-require time, rather than ninja-like skills
-suck

It is the sad thruth (although I'm sure most people here, especially in the Classic Gaming forum don't fall into that category).

The other part is the economics behind it. There's a reason arcades have survived in Japan. Standard play is 100 yen (a dollar for all intents and purposes). With fighting games where a credit lasts an average 3-4 minutes, they can actually make money. They're also catered for adults, so make money on food and cigarette sales. Dave & Busters would be the exception in the US, but obviously not the norm.

Richter Belmount
09-26-2006, 11:07 PM
yikes! fat and goth rikku