PDA

View Full Version : Which to get the Wii or GC version of zelda?

snkryo
09-21-2006, 11:49 AM
Ok, I trading in games for the gamecube version of zelda awhile ago at EBgames and I just received a call that I can switch to the Wii version. My wife plans to get me the wii for Christmas. So I have a few questions on which to get.

Which will be the better version (control wise)?

Will the gamecube version be rare since it might not be released in mass quantities?

AMG
09-21-2006, 11:57 AM
I've read that the controls for the Wii version are solid.

I imagine tons of people will be buying the Wii version now and it will be a top seller. Most likely higher than the GCN version.

I'm getting the GCN version myself.

Mayhem
09-21-2006, 12:10 PM
I'll be getting the Cube version. Not only cos I'll need it for my collection, but because I most likely won't get a Wii until after Xmas anyhow. Don't want to miss out any longer than needed!

itobandito
09-21-2006, 12:18 PM
Since I will be getting a wii at launch I am getting the wii version. However I will also be getting the cube version because it's freaking ZELDA. And I don't want to punch myself if for some reason it becomes more rare. Honestly though. I don't think it will be THAT rare, better to be safe then sorry. If your getting a wii for xmas then I would just get the cube version first. The wii version will most likely never be rare and you can get it at a later date.

Neo Rasa
09-21-2006, 12:51 PM
I can't believe the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess and the word "rare" are being used in the same sentance.

Everyone who wants it on the Wii instead already transferred their pre-order. Gamestop/EB has on average two hundred reserves per store (some have a little less, many have MUCH more). That's almost one million copies for JUST pre-orders for ONE chain. The game could not possibly hope to be rare.

rbudrick
09-21-2006, 05:53 PM
Both. Case closed. ;)

-Rob

Ed Oscuro
09-21-2006, 07:46 PM
I still need Metroid Prime 2...actually I need to beat Prime one. Then I'll think about this, and I'll decide that I'll get it when it's down to $10 or something.

Neo Rasa
09-21-2006, 08:42 PM
Both. Case closed. ;)

-Rob

At last someone who understands. :D Everyone thinks I'm crazy for going through with this.

Ed: The Prime games are extremely good, Metroid Prime 2 has been $19.99 for a while now. Go for broke.

SkiDragon
09-22-2006, 08:51 PM
I just had a neat idea that will never materalize. It would be cool if game saves would transfer between versions. So, I could start the game on Gamecube, "upgrade" to Wii, put in my memory card and continue from where I left off.

I just heard something rather strange and kind of disturbing. Apparently, they made Link right handed in the Wii version in order to match most people's hand motions. They should let you choose in case left handed people would rather have it the original way. But that's a rather minor issue. It seems that in order to switch the "handedness" of Link, they got lazy and decided to mirror the entire game for the Wii. I dont know if this has been confirmed, but that seems crazy to have one game be completely the mirror image of the other.

drewbrim
09-22-2006, 09:10 PM
Both. Case closed. ;)

-Rob

Ditto. Oh, and the chance of any zelda game for a nintendo console being rare is inconceivable.

Niku-Sama
09-23-2006, 01:01 AM
Ditto. Oh, and the chance of any zelda game for a nintendo console being rare is inconceivable.

theres a first time for any thing

JJNova
09-23-2006, 02:48 AM
I'll be getting the Wii version, although I want to tell you to get the Gamecube version and not support Nintendo's decision to change 25 years of tradition, and suddenly make Link right-handed because some pansies can't adjust. We lefties have been adjusting for thousands of years, let us have our one damn game!

Plus, it's a polygonal character in a virtual environment, it's not like when you swing with the sword, he has to have delayed reactions because he's forced to follow the rules of physics. Oh well. Support left handed link, buy the GC version! :P

Neo Rasa
09-23-2006, 02:57 AM
I just heard something rather strange and kind of disturbing. Apparently, they made Link right handed in the Wii version in order to match most people's hand motions. They should let you choose in case left handed people would rather have it the original way. But that's a rather minor issue. It seems that in order to switch the "handedness" of Link, they got lazy and decided to mirror the entire game for the Wii. I dont know if this has been confirmed, but that seems crazy to have one game be completely the mirror image of the other.

I don't buy this at all because the screenshots its based on were issued a long ways apart from each other. Enough so that it's probably a finished version of the same level with some elements turning a different way/whatever.

That said, as a 3D game, wouldn't being able to choose the handedness by horizontally reflecting the player model work without messing up anything else?

Given the nature of the Wii controller I would hope that's standard issue for any game where you're directly controlling an onscreen avatar.

Richter
09-25-2006, 08:12 PM
kinda OT, but still about the game

anyone know when this game takes place?

Fuyukaze
09-26-2006, 04:27 PM
If you can only get one version, get it for the system you want it on most. If thats the gamecube, that's not a bad idea as you already are familer with the controler. If you pick the Wii you'll have another game for your new system and one more reason to become familer with the controler. Ether option's a good one.

Mayhem
09-26-2006, 05:25 PM
kinda OT, but still about the game

anyone know when this game takes place?

After Wind Waker but before Link to the Past I believe. So maybe Nintendo will let us know how Hyrule dried out if that's the case.

SarKenobi
09-26-2006, 09:24 PM
I'm getting both! Probably will only play one of them though.

snkryo
11-10-2006, 11:26 AM
I decided to get the Wii version because my wife is getting me a Nintendo wii for the holidays. :)

NintendoMan
11-11-2006, 09:41 AM
I still need Metroid Prime 2...actually I need to beat Prime one. Then I'll think about this, and I'll decide that I'll get it when it's down to $10 or something.

Shit, why stop there, wait until you can get it for free, or you find it laying on the side of the road or something.

I will be getting both, I have had the GC version reserved since like Nov. of 05.

CosmicMonkey
12-02-2006, 11:38 PM
After seeing the video reviews of TP, I really want to play this game. But, tbh, I'm not sure I want to get a Wii atm.

Therefore, I reckon I'm gonna get a nice pearl white GC and the cube version of Zelda. While I'm at it, I might even get WW and actually complete it this time!

NoahsMyBro
12-03-2006, 08:04 AM
At the risk of being chased out of the DP community by rampaging crowds wielding torches and pitchforks (hopefully to be given shelter by a guy spilling hot soup in my lap), I have to admit I've never really played any Zelda at all.

In college I spent about 5 minutes playing a friend's original Zelda on the NES, and just didn't 'get' it.

The only videogame RPG I've ever really spent any time with was Skies of Arcadia on the Dreamcast, and I didn't think it was as terrific as most people seem to think.

Now, having said all that - there seems to be a lot of excitement and hype about the new Zelda on the GC/Wii. If I decide to give it a try, would I even understand what's going on, having no previous Zelda knowledge? Or would this be like jumping in very late to a multi-episode TV or Movie series?

joshnickerson
12-03-2006, 09:02 AM
You don't really need any previous knowledge to jump into the game, since they (for the most part) tend to be self-contained episodes. There will most likely be plenty of referrences to Ocarina of Time (since it's sort of a sequel to the N64 game), but I doubt it would ruin your experience.

slip81
12-03-2006, 11:18 AM
I plan on getting the Wii version also, but not for a while since I don't have a Wii and won't get one till about June or whenever I get my tax return.

Gentlegamer
12-03-2006, 12:13 PM
I'll be getting the Wii version, although I want to tell you to get the Gamecube version and not support Nintendo's decision to change 25 years of tradition, and suddenly make Link right-handed because some pansies can't adjust. We lefties have been adjusting for thousands of years, let us have our one damn game!

Plus, it's a polygonal character in a virtual environment, it's not like when you swing with the sword, he has to have delayed reactions because he's forced to follow the rules of physics. Oh well. Support left handed link, buy the GC version! :PI don't understand why Twilight Princess (and all other Wii games similarly situated) can't have a "left/right hand option" available via game option screen to accomodate different players. [/late response]

NE146
12-03-2006, 12:33 PM
I don't understand why Twilight Princess (and all other Wii games similarly situated) can't have a "left/right hand option" available via game option screen to accomodate different players. [/late response]

'Course JJNova is a Wii Zelda bitch now so I guess he figured it out eventually :p

smokehouse
12-03-2006, 12:57 PM
For some reason I cans see the GC version being worth some cash some day. The Wii version will probably far out sell it in the future and the GC version will probably only be available for a short time to appease GC owners...

I'll probably pick up the GC version, leave it sealed and put it on a shelf somewhere...

JJNova
12-03-2006, 06:56 PM
Yessir. Zelda has consumed every available moment i have with the television. Between fighting my wife to stop playing Wii Bowling, and her watching some sappy movie. The game is awesome. I'm claiming it as Game of the Year. Although I still get upset to see everything in the game is mirrored. In reference to my original post, both Zelda and ...

ok. Hold on. This might be a spoiler for people, so I want to post this warning here. Skip the rest of my post if you don't have the game yet. Thanks.

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ****************************
************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ****************************
So like, both Ganon and the offspring of Zelda also have their Triforce birthmarks reversed. It's annoying to me, as a long time fan of the series, to see things like this. I know most people would look at it as a miniscule moment in the games, but of course when something involves the Triforce, there is a cutscene that focuses on said birthmarks. So when I see that Zelda and Gannon(dorf) are now left handed, while my Hero of Time is currently right handed, it still irks me. I know this is just a rant and rave, but at least I have a place like DP to do it, and still seem somewhat sane for my crazy video game infatuation.

diskoboy
12-03-2006, 08:50 PM
easy awnser - both!

I'll play the Wii version, and keep the GC version shrinkwrapped because it'll probably be rare later on.

bangtango
12-03-2006, 10:54 PM

That is right. I think what the people who are using the word "rare" mean to say is that when it is all said and done, the GC version will probably cost more in a game store, on these type of forums or on Ebay than the Wii version. That is their opinion, anyway, but only time will tell. It could even be said the Wii version would end up being worth more, because it is supposedly a "better" and more "definitive" version. At least if you believe Nintendo.......

When people decide which version of a new game to buy, solely based on how "rare" it might be someday or how much it will be worth down the road, sometimes they can end up "outsmarting" themselves.

Zap!
12-03-2006, 11:08 PM
I will be getting both, I have had the GC version reserved since like Nov. of 05.

I can totally understand getting both if you are a hardcore collector. But if you're not, why get both? It's the same game with diffeerent controls (and different handed Link's).

snkryo
12-13-2006, 09:55 AM
So did anyone just get it for the wii or gamecube or for both systems?

segagamer4life
12-13-2006, 10:06 AM
FYI... circuit city has the GC version for 37.99 this week... got it..

geneshifter
12-13-2006, 10:07 AM
I got the Wii version and I'm glad I did. Except for the sword swinging, which is kind of a gimmick and adds little, the rest of the controls make it more fun IMO. Lots of fun stuff to do. And, I have been fishing my fool head off :)

s1lence
12-13-2006, 10:13 AM
I have the Wii version and picked up the GCN version yesterday. I don't know why but I figured why the hell not.

snkryo
12-13-2006, 01:19 PM
Which is better?

s1lence
12-13-2006, 01:22 PM
I havent had a chance to play the GC version yet so I'm not sure.

Richter
12-13-2006, 01:33 PM
Which is better?
Neither, both offer the same game, same content. Only difference is the type of controller

segagamer4life
12-13-2006, 03:13 PM
Cool news, glad I opted for the GC version.

NE146
12-13-2006, 05:16 PM
Neither, both offer the same game, same content. Only difference is the type of controller

And one is apparently "flipped"

TurboGenesis
12-13-2006, 06:48 PM
For some reason I cans see the GC version being worth some cash some day. The Wii version will probably far out sell it in the future and the GC version will probably only be available for a short time to appease GC owners...

I'll probably pick up the GC version, leave it sealed and put it on a shelf somewhere...

ebay already has this game selling above retail!

JJNova
12-13-2006, 08:43 PM
Stop commenting on topics you know nothing about.

;)

.Goomba24
12-13-2006, 08:50 PM
I think I am going to stick with the GCN version, since my "library" isn't good at ALL. I don't even own a Wii yet, but I have played TP at my friend's. I wasn't too crazy about it, but I only played it for 5 minutes.

Richter
12-13-2006, 09:48 PM
Stop commenting on topics you know nothing about.

;)
oh shush! :P

Leo_A
12-14-2006, 08:43 AM
Not to mention that only the Wii version has widescreen support. And I think only the Wii version can do 480p but I'm not sure.

Lady Jaye
12-14-2006, 11:40 AM
Since I don't have a Wii and only have a regular TV anyways, I went for the Cube version.

Got it at my friend's store -- apparently, it was a good thing I called in Tuesday to have a copy put aside because last night when I went to get it, Frank told me that people have been calling his store for the game -- apparently the GCN version quickly sold out in most stores in the city.

And since I've been playing Ocarina of Time lately on the Cube, I had no problems picking off on the control scheme -- although I still find it weird to use the tiny red B button to wield the sword.

NintendoMan
12-14-2006, 11:57 AM
I can totally understand getting both if you are a hardcore collector. But if you're not, why get both? It's the same game with diffeerent controls (and different handed Link's).

Bingo! I am a hardcore collector. I actually was kind of dissapointed that the game was coming out for WII, at first. Not anymore though, I'm sure it's better on the wii with all the added controls.
I'll probably just keep the game shrinkwrapped like one of the previous posts said.

njiska
12-14-2006, 11:39 PM
Straightout go with the GC version. I waited in the cold for 11 hours to get my Wii and Zelda and all i can say is, it's shit. The game is bloody great but the controls are unnessicary. it feels like a game to be played with a normal controller and if nintendo had allowed this option it would've been great, but they didn't so fuck it play the GC version, you'll be happy, it's how the game was meant to be played.

bangtango
01-01-2007, 10:33 PM
I'm grabbing a near-mint copy of the GameCube version tomorrow for $30, which a friend of mine played for all of an hour. She preordered it over a year ago and figured she waited that long for the damn game, she might as well play it. My friend didn't enjoy it all that much and she is selling it to me.