PDA

View Full Version : Genesis / Turbografx-16 games on PS3

sabre2922
09-22-2006, 03:28 AM
might not be the newest news but what the hell;

Ken Kutaragi also mentioned PlayStation 3 will be able to download and playback classic 16-bit Mega Drive (Genesis) and PC-Engine (Turbografx) titles, it is also possible to play a small fee to play certain time-limited game demos.

http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm

mmm Turbografx on PS3 damn I miss my old Turbo and NINJA SPIRITS I even liked Kieth Courage in Alpha Zones :D [/quote]

FantasiaWHT
09-22-2006, 07:31 AM
oooh I get to be the first one to say it...

They're ripping off Nintendo again!

LOL

jajaja
09-22-2006, 07:40 AM

LOL

lol i was just thinking that, how many comment will come that says "ripoff!!!!1" :)

Nice that PS3 also gets this feature. Looking forward to see what else their online system got.

poloplayr
09-22-2006, 08:28 AM
Sony makes me gag daily now...Classic games from Sega and TG16...Hmm...Where have I seen this before???...Oh, wait...

jajaja
09-22-2006, 08:34 AM
Sony makes me gag daily now...Classic games from Sega and TG16...Hmm...Where have I seen this before???...Oh, wait...

In the stores back in the days, on Ebay, in various pawnshops/gamestores today etc, why?

Captain Wrong
09-22-2006, 08:36 AM
Umm...before all you Nintendo fanboys get your panties in a twist, I'm pretty sure you could download Genny and TG16 games to the Dreamcast in Japan a long time before the Wii was even on the drawing board.

At any rate, Nintendo is hardly the company that invented emulation. I think it's safe to say it was a matter of time before everyone picked up on it.

B - Mark
09-22-2006, 11:32 AM

LOL

The ripping off Nintendo is back.

Now, is ready for the rip off art.

After the ripping off Analogy Stick from Nintendo 64, Sony ripping off the Classic games from Wii´s Virtual Console.

Neo Rasa
09-22-2006, 11:58 AM
Rampant ripoff related crimes these days.

PC Engine is not the exception.

Wait, we have to PAY for timed demos? No one's going to go in on that when they can pay $50 a year for Live and get all the demos they want for free and play them for as long as they want.

c0ldb33r
09-22-2006, 12:16 PM
Umm...before all you Nintendo fanboys get your panties in a twist, I'm pretty sure you could download Genny and TG16 games to the Dreamcast in Japan a long time before the Wii was even on the drawing board.
I've never heard of that - I couldn't see it - where would you save them to? VMU's aren't really big enough.

7th lutz
09-22-2006, 01:03 PM
This shouldn't help the ps3 to get more people to buy the ps 3. The dreamcast had t-16 and genesis games that were able to be downloaded. It didn't out sega in getting more dreamcasts out. It is based on what gamers want that aren't downloadable. In japan, downloaded games are a bonus.

The wii has a big advantage over the ps3 for games being downloaded. The ps 3 has genesis and tg-16 and the wii has nes,snes, n64, tg-16 and genesis. In Japan, gamers want nes, snes, tg-16 games more then genesis games. If was based on downloading games, Japanesse gamers want the wii for downloading games not the ps 3.

Outside of Japan, there is no clear cut winner for downloading games. The wild card is if the virtual game console has nes, snes, and n64 games that weren't released in the states and are able to be download in america.

MegaDrive20XX
09-22-2006, 03:35 PM
mmm Turbografx on PS3 damn I miss my old Turbo and NINJA SPIRITS I even liked Kieth Courage in Alpha Zones :D [/quote]

I'm not helping by doing this, but let's give your memory a better look at that game as it's truly meant to be...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v129/Akumajo22/NS.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v129/Akumajo22/NS2.jpg

8-)

I am surprised Sony is letting, *Gasp* nay say, 2D older games on their new PS3? They just want a piece of the N action..

Guru of Time and Space
09-22-2006, 03:35 PM
This shouldn't help the ps3 to get more people to buy the ps 3. The dreamcast had t-16 and genesis games that were able to be downloaded. It didn't out sega in getting more dreamcasts out. It is based on what gamers want that aren't downloadable. In japan, downloaded games are a bonus.

Yeah, uhm... where is everybody getting this information from? It's not true.

-GoTaS

Anthony1
09-22-2006, 03:41 PM
Hopefully, more people being able to try out TG-16 games will be a good thing. Alot of people never played a TurboGrafx-16, and now maybe they will get exposed to it. Then that might spur them on to actually track down a real TG-16 and some real hu cards. :)

Captain Wrong
09-22-2006, 04:22 PM

-GoTaS

Just because you've never heard it before, doesn't mean it's not true.

I'm 99.999% sure I read this in an old issue of the Official Dreamcast Magazine. IIRC, the games were somehow saved on the VMC in some kind of compressed format. I don't think the serivce lasted for too long. I remember it was mentioned before the Sega Smash Pack disc was announced.

Now, this may have been something that was in the works and never happened, or I could be hallucinating and making the whole thing up. However, I distinctly remember reading that because I thought it was the coolest thing ever at the time and I remember being very disappointed when that didn't make it over here.

Believe what you want though. Just like everyone wants to think Nintendo was the first company to do analog sticks and a whole host of other things, if everyone wants to think that Nintendo invented emulation, I guess that's ok too.

Emuaust
09-22-2006, 04:40 PM
To be honest why the hell does everyone bag the crap out of sony
for copying others ideas? everygame maker does the same,
there isnt any real inovavtivenss in much these days, all im worried about
is who does it properly.

Regarding the Analog stick comment, Sony may of copied N64
with releasing an analog controller but hey at least the did it right!
the 64 controller is my most hated controller of all time.

Wether I like sony or hate sony isnt really that important they
dominanted the console race due to the fact they actually do give consumers
more choice then there rivals,

Oh and Ninja Gaiden on the PS3 @_@ @_@ @_@ , Woot
ill actually be getting one now!

Haoie
09-22-2006, 05:03 PM
It really doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that innovation in gaming [at least, for certain firms], is dead.

Lord_Magus
09-22-2006, 05:07 PM
Being able to download 16bit games on the PS3 seems very unfitting to the PS3's image and is (obviously) a last minute addition.

The way I see it, Sony couldn't care less about 2D games, but seeing the positive response Nintendo and MS have had with their downloadable content, they decided to jump on the bandwagon in hope of raking in some extra dollars.

Matt-El
09-22-2006, 05:35 PM
Emuast, man, do you always write in Stanzas? ;)

Anyway, good to play old games, bad that it's "stolen", yadda yadda.

Either way, buying a 600 dollar machine to download 3 dollar games is kinda off IMHO, but whatever. I'm not getting a PS3, therefore, I don't care.

7th lutz
09-22-2006, 05:50 PM

-GoTaS
Here is the link of it being true: http://dreamcast.ign.com/articles/072/072563p1.html

See in Japan, it existed. Like I said it did.

Doom Gaze
09-22-2006, 06:50 PM
This isn't true.

Kutaragi said "a certain Mega Drive and PC Engine game".

PS3 isn't going to stop sucking, so you guys can give it a rest.

Captain Wrong
09-23-2006, 02:29 AM

-GoTaS
Here is the link of it being true: http://dreamcast.ign.com/articles/072/072563p1.html

See in Japan, it existed. Like I said it did.

WICKED BURN!!!!

*high fives 7th lutz*

honestly, I don't have a horse in this race, I just get tired of the endless Sony bashing.

sabre2922
09-23-2006, 02:46 AM
OK as much as I hate to make posts like this since I have LOTS of respect for all fellow gamers on this board I have to respond. And Im sure its ok for me too hijack my own thread since I started mmmmmmmk.

First off ; so what if Sony jumped on the EMU bandwagon after the success off Xboxlive and the positive response to Nintendos Virtual system? Let me be the first to sayDEDEEDEDEE a winner is U!
lets hate on Sony for capatalizing on others success as we all know that thats NOT nice and is a big NONO for rival companies be it videogames or automobiles or what the fuck ever.
Overall its a very big + for the "hardcore" gamers like ourselves who grew up playing these games be it downloading and playing them on the Wii/360 or yess even the evil PS3,and as Anthony1 pointed out its also a good thing that the Millions of casual gamers/PS2 up generation -i.e. graphics whores that want ONLY the PS3- they will be exposed to many classic 8-bit and 16-bit games that they otherwise would have never given a second thought about.

the Rant Strikes Back

I sometimes wonder if this board/forum should be renamed the [/b]Nintendofanclubdigitalpress[b] or something to that effect when it seems that post after post turns out to be a hate on Sony/Playstation rally no matter what the actual topic maybe about.

Return of the Rant

Finale; Dont get me wrong I luv Nintendo and many of its franchises -well mainly Zelda and Metroid- but its not like they are the only ones that provide the avid gamer with AAA games that cater to our tastes whatever they may be.

thread hijack WARNING>>>>>>>

In fact Nintendo looks to be the ONLY one of the big 3 videogame companies that are actually looking FORWARD for the next generation in terms of gameplay and experience and the other two giants are resting thier sizeable balls playing the same worn out "graphical upgrade" card thats been played over and over for the past 20 years.

If the DS is any indication gamers as a whole both hardcore and casual are ready and wanting for NEW GAMEPLAY experiences and that is exactly what the DS is providing now and the Wii will most likely provide with the next generation and IF the Wii is as successful as the DS (and I for one think it will be) the Nintendo will be #1 again, all will be well in the mushroom kingdom and Sony and Microsoft will be fighting it out for second place the way it should be...Ok so im a closet Nintendo fanboy too SO SUE ME ;)

sabre2922
09-23-2006, 02:58 AM
also theres this again not new but whatever:

Ken Kutaragi mentioned that Sony is planning to offer downloadable PSone and PS2 games, but price, titles and details are not yet available.

http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm

badinsults
09-23-2006, 04:15 AM
I play snes games on my computer with Zsnes. Of course, I am just ripping off Nintendo (although I own over a hundred snes carts).

jajaja
09-23-2006, 04:58 AM
First off ; so what if Sony jumped on the EMU bandwagon after the success off Xboxlive and the positive response to Nintendos Virtual system? Let me be the first to sayDEDEEDEDEE a winner is U!
lets hate on Sony for capatalizing on others success as we all know that thats NOT nice and is a big NONO for rival companies be it videogames or automobiles or what the fuck ever.
Overall its a very big + for the "hardcore" gamers like ourselves who grew up playing these games be it downloading and playing them on the Wii/360 or yess even the evil PS3,and as Anthony1 pointed out its also a good thing that the Millions of casual gamers/PS2 up generation -i.e. graphics whores that want ONLY the PS3- they will be exposed to many classic 8-bit and 16-bit games that they otherwise would have never given a second thought about.

Exactly my thoughts too. I wonder why on earth people turn it into something negative that Sony also gets the possibility to download old games. When Wii got it everyone was like "wow damn omg thats cool!!!!", but when PS3 got it they was like "pfff that fuckin sux! Ripoff!!". Its the exact same thing just for 2 different consoles god damnit! I dont know what car that first came with airbag, but imagine people bitching about the 2nd or 3rd car that got airbag because they stole the idea from the first car :roll:

FantasiaWHT
09-23-2006, 08:03 AM
See, I think lots of people are mischaracterizing how I and others feel. I haven't seen anybody reacting with an OMG Sony suxx0rz! attitude, nobody is criticizing them for doing it.

It's just become such a ridiculously obvious pattern of Sony's that it's laughable and worth a good chuckle to point it out each time something new (or really not so new) comes out of the Sony machine.

Lord_Magus
09-23-2006, 08:49 AM

Exactly my thoughts too. I wonder why on earth people turn it into something negative that Sony also gets the possibility to download old games. When Wii got it everyone was like "wow damn omg thats cool!!!!", but when PS3 got it they was like "pfff that fuckin sux! Ripoff!!". Its the exact same thing just for 2 different consoles god damnit! I dont know what car that first came with airbag, but imagine people bitching about the 2nd or 3rd car that got airbag because they stole the idea from the first car :roll:

I agree that what Sony is doing isn't necessarily a "bad" thing, and it's possible (though unlikely) that this service will prove to be successful. However, knowing that Sony generally isn't quite fond of 2D games, and seeing how they're trying to portray the PS3 as the all-powerful next gen console, it's quite easy to dismiss their effort as being a simple rip-off of what Nintendo and MS are doing (just like the last minute motion-sensing ability they added to the PS3's controller).

If you look at it realistically, you will see that both Nintendo and Microsoft have valid reasons for adding emulation to their systems:
Nintendo has clearly stated that they're focusing more on gameplay rather than graphics. They also have a huge back catalog of exclusive titles which will definitely appeal to hardcore Nintendo fans, casual gamers, and possibly even non-gamers, which is a large part of Nintendo's target market.
On the other hand, Microsoft is trying to bridge the gap between the PC and Console gaming worlds, and thus the 360 (essentially a living room PC) is naturally expected to have downloadable games.

Now, what is Sony's reasoning in providing this service? To simply keep up with the competition and maybe make some shift+4.

You see, I would actually respect Kutaragi (and Sony in general) if they actually stood their ground and focused on what they're most interested in achieving (graphical power), rather than trying desperately to keep up with every new irrelevant feature the competition brings up. Focus on what you do and do it well. As an example, imagine a painter using only black and white to draw his paintings. Then he sees a successful artist using color in his drawings, and decides to adopt this coloring in his own work as well. In the end, the artist may have gained some color in his paintings, but as a result he simply lost his style...

cr0n0
10-01-2006, 06:59 PM
I guess in the end, I would question myself on why I pay 600 dollars and end up playing 16 bit games on the PS3. Sony should be promoting features that will justify the price consumers will be paying for their system.

To mention the ability to play classic 16 bit games is not a ripoff in my opinion, Sony is just nervous and is pulling anything out of the bag at this point.

rbudrick
10-02-2006, 11:24 AM
Does this really surprise anyone? Did you really think SOny wasn't going to follow suit with emulation too?

Either way, they are at a big disadvantage...While they may be able to get many systems' emulation up and running, I doubt they will have ANY Nintendo systems.

-Rob