PDA

View Full Version : Rare PS2 Games?

shadow77110
09-27-2006, 11:16 PM
What rare PS2 games are there? I was thinking:
-Rez
-Klonoa 2
-Gitaroo Man
What are some others that you guys know of?
By the way, do you think I should try and talk some video shop guys to sell me Rez and Klonoa 2, since I can't find them anywhere else where I am.

sayin999
09-28-2006, 01:39 AM
Definetly Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

norkusa
09-28-2006, 01:54 AM
There are at least a dozen threads on this subject already. Try using the search option and check those out.

BTW, Rez and Gitaroo ain't rare. They were re-printed by GQD last year and you can find used copies for sale in just about any Gamestop.

Going strictly by print numbers though, Dual Hearts from Atlus is said to be the rarest PS2 game. Supposedly less than 5,000 copies were made.

yok-dfa
09-28-2006, 06:05 AM
Going strictly by print numbers though, Dual Hearts from Atlus is said to be the rarest PS2 game. Supposedly less than 5,000 copies were made.

I think Polaroid Pete would be the rarest game. As far as i know only a few copies have made it to the public before they pulled the title because of some disagreement about copyrights...

yok-dfa
09-28-2006, 06:11 AM
Oh and BTW if you want to know if a game is rare, search ebay for it. If none show up, there is a chance it *might* be rare:

Rez has 47 copies on ebay.com right now
Gitarooman has 26 copies on ebay.com right now
Klonoa 2 has 5 copies on ebay.com right now
Dual hearts: 17 copieso on ebay.com right now

dojosky
09-28-2006, 08:50 AM
dual hearts isnt too rare i can find it at game shops around me here where did u get the print run numbers from ? thanks !

Trebuken
09-28-2006, 08:56 AM
Firefighter FD18 was listed as rare on another thread.

Some others that I have found are rare (for the PS2) are:

Gradius II+IV
Sky Odyssey
Rayman 2 Revolution

It's all relative I suppose...
I think the rarest PS2 games would only make it to R3 in terms of a DP guide.

Later,
Trebuken

Oobgarm
09-28-2006, 09:33 AM
99.9% of all PS2 'rarities' are a result of regional supplies.

At best, a harder to find PS2 title would rank R5, I think. I haven't started to apply the rarity numbers to the guide, but it is something I intend on doing in the near future.

Even though there are tons of threads on this, I'll add my 2 cents. These are ones I personally haven't seen in a long time.

Casper: Spirit Dimensions
Crimson Sea 2
Dark Summit
Dino Stalker
Disney Golf
Dropship: United Peace Force
Ephemeral Fantasia
Escape from Monkey Island
ESPN: MLS Extra Time
ESPN: NFL Prime Time 2002
EverBlue 2
Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel
Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly
Firefighter F.D.18
Frequency
Fur Fighters: Viggo's Revenge
G1 Jockey 3
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
GTC Africa
Kya: Dark Lineage
Malice
Mystic Heroes
Pirates: The Legend of Black Kat
PK: Out of the Shadows (Disney's)
Portal Runner
R.A.D.: Robot Alchemic Drive
Ribbit King
Rumble Racing
Secret Weapons Over Normandy
Shifters
Sitting Ducks
Soccer America International Cup
Speed Kings
Sub Rebellion
Theme Park Roller Coaster
Top Gear Daredevil
Tsugunai: Atonement
Unison: Rebels of Rhythm and Dance
WhiteOut
Wrath Unleashed
X-Squad

Perkar
09-28-2006, 10:59 AM

agreed 100%

and in your list... i count at least 7 of those titles sitting in my store right now, most of which have been sitting there for some time. so yeah... rarity at this point in the ps2's life is definitely a regional thing.... once games done being produced, and you're only able to procure titles from ebay and such (which admittedly will be a very long time from now), things might start to even out a tad.

kentuckyfried
09-28-2006, 11:36 AM
I always assumed that Naval Ops by Koei was rare, but I see several listings for it on ebay, though it seems to never really reach high price points either.

devils advocate
09-28-2006, 11:44 AM
I know this may be slightly off topic, but it still relates.

I think a rarity level for a game is almost a moot point. It's also open for interpretation. The DP lists are the best thing we, as gamers have, but I still think that as this hobby grows, it will need an overhaul.

IE. Psychic detective for the PS1 is rated as an R8. But, the chances of finding it in the wild are much higher than say, an R8 for the Vectrex etc.(just an example, insert your favorite comparison here). While the rarity rating doesn't really show it, the value does seem to reflect it. Obviously demand plays its part as well.

For the most part, collectors are applying a higher value for a higher rating. Now, as with any hobby this is not always the case. Nor is the rarity level always accurat, as we could all certainly find a few games in the database that are way off.

When I was younger, I was fortunate enough to have a friend who owned a card store, and he was one of the contributors to Beckett magazine for Hockey.
I think there system for valuing is quite good. Not perfect, but a step up from what we have.
They evaluate their market on a montly basis(obviously too much for our hobby, as the $$ are not there to support it yet...YET) by taking dealer and private sales into account. Rarity never plays a part of it. The market reflects value. Not rarity. While the manufacturers may produce a card in very limited numbers, it may still have low demand. Hence, a low value.
They also use a hi/low value scheme. Very useful. It takes bargain shopping into account and full retail.
IE. 10 people bought from Ebay for game X
10 People found it in the wild
10 people from game stores.
Take the Ebay prices, shave off the bottom 10% and the top 10%, and that gives you a fairly good going HIGH rate.
Take the wild finds and do the same.
Now, you may have game x which goes for 50USD on the high side, with no shopping around searching etc. BUT it may go for 15USD on the low side, and you could expect to find that only with some luck, AND extensive shopping. With those 2 prices in mind, you could judge what kind of "deal" you have found on the game you are looking for.

It kind of takes the rating for a game, and puts it in the markets hands, and out of the "rarity" judicators. Whether that is good or not is in the eye of the beholder.

I'm just uneasy about the rarity guide, as it's decided upon by very few people. I think they do a great job, and the DP guide is the only one I use.. For now.

I just think it's "off" in a lot of cases. Final fantasy VII for example. It has seen a huge price increase lately. It can go between 5075 used on Ebay. It doesn't change the RARITY of it, but obviously the demand is higher, whether people like it or not. The market reflects, what the market can bear. Tis the law of supply and demand. Now, we also know that with some shopping we can find it for five bucks even. Well the DP guide rates the rarity low, which is obviously accurate, as the game was a trillion seller or something crazy. BUT, it does show a value of 15-20 bucks or something. (I can't remember exactly, but somewhere around there). Well, that's not exactly the real value is it? It could have a value as HIGH as 75usd or as low as 5-10 USD. Showing that, also shows the collectors/buyers the volatility of said game. Some games will have a high fluctuation between their high/low values repectively, and some will not. The ones with a high spread between the high/low will show market instability, which accounts for threads that I see of people saying "I can't believe FFVII is going for 75 bucks. I got mine for five, OR "that price will come down, it's just an Ebay anomale"... And it very well might, or it might not. Again, the updates from inputters will show the trending.

Anyways, just my two cents on helping our hobby.
Regards, Julian

s1lence
09-28-2006, 11:56 AM
Well Disgaea used to be hard to find until the recent reprinting.

I could see Metal Saga being a hard one to find in the future, but atm I don't think there is truely a "rare" PS2 title.

Kroogah
09-28-2006, 11:58 AM
The prices in the DP guide are meant to be friendly, collector-to-collector prices. Not current market value, for all the reasons you just stated in your comparison to Beckett's.

We all prefer trading, anyway. :D

The Shawn
09-28-2006, 12:06 PM
The prices in the DP guide are meant to be friendly, collector-to-collector prices. Not current market value, for all the reasons you just stated in your comparison to Beckett's.

Agreed!!

devils advocate
09-28-2006, 12:06 PM

But when I look in our buy/sell forum, I see lots of good deals, lots of "going prices", and lots of overpriced stuff. Very reflective of having a hi/lo system, isn't it?

Friendly, collector to collector sales are great, and we have lots here. But I don't see too many people GIVING away their Stadium events or DKC comp cart, right?

While we may have lots of collectors trading, they still trade with "perceived value" in mind, generally. I have not heard of too many Combat carts traded for Quadrun, have you? And if it did happen, I would consider that as being part of the 10% of false valuing that you shave off when doing stat tracking.

So it still applies, I would say. And is still very reflective, IMHO.

devils advocate
09-28-2006, 12:10 PM

I guess what I meant is;

Using a hi/lo system doesn't change or deter what goes on between collectors. Collectors and gamers know WHAT they will spend, and often WHAT OTHER people have spent.

So, we already have this system, we just don't use or document it.

devils advocate
09-28-2006, 12:11 PM

But when I look in our buy/sell forum, I see lots of good deals, lots of "going prices", and lots of overpriced stuff. Very reflective of having a hi/lo system, isn't it?

Friendly, collector to collector sales are great, and we have lots here. But I don't see too many people GIVING away their Stadium events or DKC comp cart, right?

While we may have lots of collectors trading, they still trade with "perceived value" in mind, generally. I have not heard of too many Combat carts traded for Quadrun, have you? And if it did happen, I would consider that as being part of the 10% of false valuing that you shave off when doing stat tracking.

So it still applies, I would say. And is still very reflective, IMHO.

devils advocate
09-28-2006, 01:20 PM
After some research,LOL The DP guide shows Final Fantasy VII with a $ value of 10usd complete. I'll take as many copies as people are willing to give me for 10 bucks. Yes, I would resell them. All to Ebay they would go. The guide doesn't differentiate between Ebay sellers and hobbyists does it? So, therefore, the value is completely incorrect.

What could happen here, is that a new collector may see that amount, and offer to trade his copy for a copy of something else with the same DP value, and ultimately, whether money was traded hands or not, be somewhat ripped off in a trade. While he still may be happy with his trade, and love the new game he got back. The fact is, he could of received so much more. And, if he finds that out afterwards, it may slightly turn him off from our wonderful hobby.
And so, in the end, the guide that was designed to enhance our hobby for enthusiasts, (be them financially based collectors OR pure gamers with no care of making money) may actually do the opposite. That would be sad.

devils advocate
09-28-2006, 01:49 PM

One last thing, and I'll let it go.

Would you TRADE me four complete non GH copies of Final Fantasy VII for my one complete copy of Devils Crush?

Probably not. (And if you want, I'll gladly do it, in a heartbeat!!!) . So it shows how skewed one single set price can be.

In MHO , I think DP should either use a reflective value system, or none at all. Just my opinion. Either would be great. The market value have decided themselves for years, with or without documentation. The only thing a skewed price can do, is hurt the uneducated!!

I usually hear people refer to the DP guide as a rarity guide, NOT a price guide. If it truly is only a rarity guide, why are there any prices listed whatsoever.

Again, please don't think I don't value all of the DP's "staff" inputters. They are invaluable, and often spot on with rarity levels. I just think the PRICES are completely skewed, and can only possibly confuse people.

theshizzle3000
09-28-2006, 01:49 PM
Well Disgaea used to be hard to find until the recent reprinting.

I could see Metal Saga being a hard one to find in the future, but atm I don't think there is truely a "rare" PS2 title.

Yeah I could see Metal Saga becoming rare ,but I have this notion that a long time down the line Katamari Damacy may become rare because for a while it fell under the radar and its a really good game so it could end up being a similar case as River City Ransom for the NES

devils advocate
09-28-2006, 02:09 PM
Just for shits and giggles, I posted a trade thread in our buying/selling forum, for exactly the deal I mentioned. Let's see the reaction. :)

Slate
09-28-2006, 06:21 PM
Firefighter FD. 18 is harder to find, but i called 20 EBs/gamestops within about a 60 mile radius and i found 2 copies, so if you're looking for something just call around, you'll find it within a month if not the same day.

Oh and i saw a copy of Sitting Ducks at an EB, didn't buy it though.

As long as you're looking for it, You'll find it.

Spartacus
09-28-2006, 09:42 PM

That's an extremely low number! I've never seen the game browsing my area, but there's quite a few available on Ebay and some of those are new, so I'm thinking that number may be off.

I agree. Thank goodness online auction sites help mitigate uneven distributions!

At best, a harder to find PS2 title would rank R5, I think. I haven't started to apply the rarity numbers to the guide, but it is something I intend on doing in the near future.
Even though there are tons of threads on this, I'll add my 2 cents. These are ones I personally haven't seen in a long time.

I remember reading a favorable review for Kya at Gamecritics.com when it first came out and when I went searching for a copy it was already being dumped on Ebay. There was a ton of them available then and there seems to be a ton of them available now. That's the only one on your list I would have doubts about not being common. It's fun to speculate on the subject though. I have a few to toss out that don't turn up often in my parts nor are they flooding Ebay.

Aero Elite
Adventures of Cookie & Cream
ChoroQ
Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis
Lethal Skies Elite Pilot
PTO IV
Shadow Hearts
Silent Line: Armored Core
Victorious Boxers
Wizardry: The Forsaken Land
Heroes of Might and Magic
LEGO Racers 2
Micro Machines
Piglet's Big Game
Ys: The Ark of Napishtim

roushimsx
09-28-2006, 10:20 PM
It's fun to speculate on the subject though. I have a few to toss out that don't turn up often in my parts nor are they flooding Ebay.

Aero Elite
Adventures of Cookie & Cream
ChoroQ
Lethal Skies Elite Pilot
Shadow Hearts

(did a little snipping)

Are Aero Elite and Lethal Skies enjoyable? I've been eyeballing them and debating picking them up.

Cookie & Cream has been on my hitlist for a long time now but the only copies I scare up in the wild are loose :( That's going to be an ebay buy for me.

I passed on a Jurassic Park Operation Genesis but got curious about it and did some reading up on it online. Found out it was totally my cup of tea, went back to buy it, and it was gone. CURSES :(

Shadow Hearts is getting reprinted by GQD (and its price at Gamestop went up from $25 used to $40 used) and you can buy the trilogy for $100 new from them (mine should be coming soon...I can't wait to finally play them :) ).

For all of the shit that ChoroQ got in the reviews, I loved the hell out of it. I loved it more than Road Trip, and Road Trip was pretty awesome. :)

Finally, I hope Ys doesn't wind up being too uncommon/rare. Everyone should be able to pick up a copy and play it :( The english voice acting and cg sucks, but there's a few codes you can input to have japanese dialogue with english subtitles, PC version's cinemas, and enable warping between towns to eliminate backtracking later in the game.. good lord is it a bucket of awesomeness then.

Kid Ice
09-28-2006, 10:33 PM
After some research,LOL The DP guide shows Final Fantasy VII with a $ value of 10usd complete. I'll take as many copies as people are willing to give me for 10 bucks. Yes, I would resell them. All to Ebay they would go. The guide doesn't differentiate between Ebay sellers and hobbyists does it? So, therefore, the value is completely incorrect.

So is it fair to say it's "worth" the $60 or so it's going for on ebay? Keep in mind this is a game that must have sold in the millions.

It's seems like every time this conversation comes up it's "ebay ebay ebay". Silent Hill sells on ebay for fifty bucks. So now someone is trading it in buying and selling, and someone offers Gunstar Heroes for it...and that's not good enough! Now it takes more than Gunstar Heroes to get Silent Hill. What kind of crazy shit is that?

D_N_G
09-28-2006, 10:47 PM
Micro Machines is definitely hard to find, this is not V4 but just plain MM

norkusa
09-28-2006, 10:52 PM
Are Aero Elite and Lethal Skies enjoyable? I've been eyeballing them and debating picking them up.

I dunno about Lethal Skies since I've never played it (see used copies everywhere though), but Aero Elite is really good. Made by Sega and it plays a lot like the Aero Wings game for Dreamcast. My only gripe with it is that the land textures and buildings look cheap. Other than that it's pretty fun and focuses a lot on flying technique rather than combat. Great flight sim.

You can also play it with the Hori flight stick controller too.

Alucard79
09-28-2006, 11:26 PM
I was curious about this topic so I hit Ebay and started searching for some games that I thought were hard to find. (I'm not saying "rare") A few others that I didn't see mentioned on the replies that are actually getting hard to come by are:

Obscure
World Of Outlaws 2002
The Guy Game
MDK 2
Echo Night Beyond
Ring Of Red

I forgot to search this one, but I think Samurai Western may be tough to find too.

EricRyan34
09-28-2006, 11:31 PM
Grand theft auto 3

devils advocate
09-28-2006, 11:36 PM

So is it fair to say it's "worth" the $60 or so it's going for on ebay? Keep in mind this is a game that must have sold in the millions.

It's seems like every time this conversation comes up it's "ebay ebay ebay". Silent Hill sells on ebay for fifty bucks. So now someone is trading it in buying and selling, and someone offers Gunstar Heroes for it...and that's not good enough! Now it takes more than Gunstar Heroes to get Silent Hill. What kind of crazy shit is that?

Well, you're right. It is crazy shit. But, it's crazy market shit! LOL. How can Bre X or Nortel be worth hundreds one day, and zilch the next. Speculation, I suppose. Probably similiar to how SH went up or FFVIII. And demand as well.

Anyways, even in our own buy/sell forum, where it was pointed out to me that people tend to sell more "collector to collector" with less regard for high end prices was proven wrong. I made a post in the buy/sell forum regarding a trade for devils crush for 4 copies of FFVII. The trade was laughed at basically, (as it should have been by CURRENT TRENDING AND SPECULATION/DEMAND) and one of the first comments was by a gamer who quoted going Ebay rates!!! And from personal correspondance, I believe the poster to not really give two hoots about it, but still used that price as a GUIDELINE for the games current worth. As it should be.

Most PS2 games were printed in huge numbers. Yes, including Disgaea. But the Ebay, or perceived value is high, as the demand is strong. Demand, is usually MORE important than scarcity. A Wayne Gretzky Rookie card had a very high print run, and there is still thousands upon thousands in Near mint shape. Not even counting the cards in lesser grades. But, DEMAND pulls the interest of nominal and major collectors alike. You could equate that to the average gamer and the fanatic I suppose.

So which is really in higher demand? The Dual Hearts game with an apparent low print run, or FFVII with a print run in the millions? I think we can guess!

So again. The reason I think the DP guides values should reflect the current market or not be there at all is for just occasions such as SH or FFVII where people seem to think just because there are huge quantities available that should supply the demand and therefore keep the price relatively low. Well, that is obviously not the case right now. Even in our own buy/sell forums people are associating a premium price to FFVII or SH because of increased demand for whatever the CRAZY reason.

I guess even though Gunstar Heroes is a great game, obviously with less copies produced, with the RARITY GUIDE PROPERLY REFLECTING THAT, FFVII is just in higher demand overall with our own buy/sell forums Ebay, and even gaming stores reflecting that trend. It could change tomorrow. But it would only change with an increased supply, or a lower demand

devils advocate
09-28-2006, 11:38 PM

Well, you're right. It is crazy shit. But, it's crazy market shit! LOL. How can Bre X or Nortel be worth hundreds one day, and zilch the next. Speculation, I suppose. Probably similiar to how SH went up or FFVIII. And demand as well.

Anyways, even in our own buy/sell forum, where it was pointed out to me that people tend to sell more "collector to collector" with less regard for high end prices was proven wrong. I made a post in the buy/sell forum regarding a trade for devils crush for 4 copies of FFVII. The trade was laughed at basically, (as it should have been by CURRENT TRENDING AND SPECULATION/DEMAND) and one of the first comments was by a gamer who quoted going Ebay rates!!! And from personal correspondance, I believe the poster to not really give two hoots about it, but still used that price as a GUIDELINE for the games current worth. As it should be.

Most PS2 games were printed in huge numbers. Yes, including Disgaea. But the Ebay, or perceived value is high, as the demand is strong. Demand, is usually MORE important than scarcity. A Wayne Gretzky Rookie card had a very high print run, and there is still thousands upon thousands in Near mint shape. Not even counting the cards in lesser grades. But, DEMAND pulls the interest of nominal and major collectors alike. You could equate that to the average gamer and the fanatic I suppose.

So which is really in higher demand? The Dual Hearts game with an apparent low print run, or FFVII with a print run in the millions? I think we can guess!

So again. The reason I think the DP guides values should reflect the current market or not be there at all is for just occasions such as SH or FFVII where people seem to think just because there are huge quantities available that should supply the demand and therefore keep the price relatively low. Well, that is obviously not the case right now. Even in our own buy/sell forums people are associating a premium price to FFVII or SH because of increased demand for whatever the CRAZY reason.

I guess even though Gunstar Heroes is a great game, obviously with less copies produced, with the RARITY GUIDE PROPERLY REFLECTING THAT, FFVII is just in higher demand overall with our own buy/sell forums Ebay, and even gaming stores reflecting that trend. It could change tomorrow. But it would only change with an increased supply, or a lower demand

Oobgarm
09-29-2006, 07:38 AM

I remember reading a favorable review for Kya at Gamecritics.com when it first came out and when I went searching for a copy it was already being dumped on Ebay. There was a ton of them available then and there seems to be a ton of them available now. That's the only one on your list I would have doubts about not being common. It's fun to speculate on the subject though.

That's proof of my regional supply comment. I based my list above on what I haven't seen in my area for a while. I didn't bother to check ebay at all-I just went through the list and selected the titles that stuck out to me.

I have a few to toss out that don't turn up often in my parts nor are they flooding Ebay.

Lethal Skies: Elite Pilot
Wizardry: The Forsaken Land
Heroes of Might and Magic
Micro Machines
Piglet's Big Game

I did a bit of editing to your list. I think those are also getting more difficult to find. Especially Micro Machines, which I've only seen one time at a store...the time I bought my copy. It was the last one, and I haven't seen any since.

Oobgarm
09-29-2006, 07:43 AM
I was curious about this topic so I hit Ebay and started searching for some games that I thought were hard to find. (I'm not saying "rare") A few others that I didn't see mentioned on the replies that are actually getting hard to come by are:

Obscure
World Of Outlaws 2002
The Guy Game
MDK 2

Yeah, those are making their way towards 'hard to find' territory. Especially World of Outlaws.

I forgot to search this one, but I think Samurai Western may be tough to find too.

I don't think so. It was part of the huge TRU sale a while back, so they'll be around for a while. The game wasn't really in demand at all from what I can tell, so the sellers who picked them up to resell will probably sit on them. If you want to use ebay as a reference, there are at least 10 of them on there right now, not counting ebay stores. I see them at game stores here locally, and at Best Buy.

Kid Ice
09-29-2006, 05:22 PM
I made a post in the buy/sell forum regarding a trade for devils crush for 4 copies of FFVII. The trade was laughed at basically, (as it should have been by CURRENT TRENDING AND SPECULATION/DEMAND) and one of the first comments was by a gamer who quoted going Ebay rates!!! And from personal correspondance, I believe the poster to not really give two hoots about it, but still used that price as a GUIDELINE for the games current worth. As it should be.

Don't go by people laughing at stuff in buy/sell...people will post anything just to hear the sound of their own fingers typing. If I had a dollar for every time some nitwit threadcrapped in B/S I could buy everything on the first page of that forum. Plus it wasn't open that long. The problem with that experiment is that it is just that...would you really trade your Devils Crush for 4 FF7s? Not likely that someone will take you up on that, but not totally impossible either. I mean what your saying is "WOULD ANYONE TAKE THIS FAKE DEAL", and the answer is no, so you say "SEE!!"

roushimsx
09-29-2006, 05:42 PM
Yeah, those are making their way towards 'hard to find' territory. Especially World of Outlaws.

I've yet to find a copy of World of Outlaws 2002 in the wild and I've been looking every single time I go to the game store at every game store I go to for over a year now :(

norkusa
09-29-2006, 06:03 PM
I've yet to find a copy of World of Outlaws 2002 in the wild and I've been looking every single time I go to the game store at every game store I go to for over a year now :(

Man, I guess I got lucky finding that one. About a year ago right after I found out it was hard to find, I went on Gamestop's site to see if there were any copies near me. A store a few miles from me had a nice, complete copy for $18, so I went there that night and snatched it up. Haven't seen any others since.

I wonder if its sequel "Road To Knoxville" will be just as hard to find in the future. It's a budget title, so probably not but you never know.

Daria
09-29-2006, 07:43 PM
I made a post in the buy/sell forum regarding a trade for devils crush for 4 copies of FFVII. The trade was laughed at basically, (as it should have been by CURRENT TRENDING AND SPECULATION/DEMAND) and one of the first comments was by a gamer who quoted going Ebay rates!!! And from personal correspondance, I believe the poster to not really give two hoots about it, but still used that price as a GUIDELINE for the games current worth. As it should be.

Don't go by people laughing at stuff in buy/sell...people will post anything just to hear the sound of their own fingers typing. If I had a dollar for every time some nitwit threadcrapped in B/S I could buy everything on the first page of that forum. Plus it wasn't open that long. The problem with that experiment is that it is just that...would you really trade your Devils Crush for 4 FF7s? Not likely that someone will take you up on that, but not totally impossible either. I mean what your saying is "WOULD ANYONE TAKE THIS FAKE DEAL", and the answer is no, so you say "SEE!!"

Besides who's really sitting on four copies of Final Fantasy 7?

Kid Ice
09-29-2006, 09:51 PM

I'll dig around the basement of the DP store tomorrow. Will someone have a Devils Crush for me? :)

smork
09-29-2006, 10:05 PM

Just dug one up yesterday in a random GameCrazy. First one I had ever seen. Was going to post it in "Finds" thread.

Best part of it was it was marked at $14 but rang up at $7. 8-)

qbertandernie
09-29-2006, 10:43 PM
ive had no less than 5 copies of world of outlaws, all purchased in retail centers. not to say its not rare, just my personal experience.

devils advocate
09-30-2006, 12:08 AM

I'll dig around the basement of the DP store tomorrow. Will someone have a Devils Crush for me? :)

Absolutely. I have 2 DC's and three FVIII's, but I'll do that trade in a heartbeat!! :-P

PDorr3
09-30-2006, 12:55 AM
Rez and Gitaroo man used to be the rarest titles for the system, but as said they are now more common due to reprints (although they still sell for $40 used in the likes of gamestop).

Games that are sometimes hard to come by are:

Klonoa 2
RAD: Robot Alchemic Drive
Dual Hearts
Gradius III+IV
And I never really see escape from monkey island around...

There are alot more uncommon ps2 games, but there really arent any that you cant find without a bit of hunting.

GarrettCRW
09-30-2006, 01:16 AM
Gradius III+IV

If Gradius III+IV is hard to find at times, it's mainly because it was a shmup, as well as a title released at/near launch. The crappy Toys R Us near UNLV had copies in for quite some time after its release that I repeatedly passed up largely because I didn't have a PS2 yet. Besides, it's not like the game is in short supply (or even that expensive) on the 'Bay, where prices suck for games with a reputation of being rare and/or good.

Kid Ice
09-30-2006, 08:07 AM
Absolutely. I have 2 DC's and three FVIII's, but I'll do that trade in a heartbeat!! :-P

OK NAVA's today I'll see what I can do.

Leo_A
09-30-2006, 04:21 PM
Sprint Cars: Road to Knoxville isn't the sequel to World of Outlaws: Sprint Cars 2002.

Vectorman0
09-30-2006, 04:32 PM
Do people here ever see The Document of Metal Gear Solid 2? I look for it everytime I am in a game store, yet I can never find any.

norkusa
09-30-2006, 05:05 PM
Do people here ever see The Document of Metal Gear Solid 2? I look for it everytime I am in a game store, yet I can never find any.

Document was a tough find for me. Only seen it twice in the wild. Just sold one on Ebay for $30 BIN last week but it wasn't in great shape.

Wouldn't be surprised if it starts going for crazy prices in the future considering how nuts the MG collectors are and how difficult it is to find.

shadow77110
10-01-2006, 03:22 AM

Obscure
World Of Outlaws 2002
The Guy Game
MDK 2
Echo Night Beyond
Ring Of Red

MDK 2? Never seen (or heard of that one), I've played MDK though.
All of these titles will be hard for me to find in New Zealand, the city I live in only has a few game shops. I went and bought Rez though and even got the "extra controller" (Is that what you'd call it, haven't had a go yet).

yok-dfa
10-01-2006, 05:33 AM
But isn't New Zealand a PAL country? Rarity numbers are totally different throughout the different regions (PAL / NTSC / NTSC-J).

Kid Ice
10-01-2006, 10:04 AM
The DP store only had two FF7s in the store that I saw, and they were in a glass case (one original and one GH). Also inside the case were Silent Hill, Ehrgeiz, and a couple other games I wouldn't consider especially rare.

I've argued this point before about the DP guide and about the value of games in general, and I'm beginning to wonder if I'm on the right side of it. Those of us who have lived in "DP World" for a long time now are accustomed to thinking in terms of rarity. It's still more or less that way with VCS games...RARITY=DESIRABILITY=VALUE. But I'm beginning to wonder if that model can be applied to NES or PSX games. And I'm not just talking about ebay. Toaster Nintendos have been a big seller in the DP store. Obviously there are millions of them out there.

You can argue (as I always have) that the FF7 thing is an exception to the rule, but it sure seems lately there are an awful lot of "exceptions".

Griking
10-01-2006, 12:20 PM

I would as well. I don't really care what you guys say FFVII is worth but I know what I can get for it.

shadow77110
10-07-2006, 03:46 AM
But isn't New Zealand a PAL country? Rarity numbers are totally different throughout the different regions (PAL / NTSC / NTSC-J).

Even Rarity 2 (on the rarity guide) is hard to find here, the game shops have stopped selling everything before the PS2, Xbox and Gamecube so its a pain in the ass to get even PSX games.

shadow77110
10-07-2006, 03:46 AM

Even Rarity 2 (on the rarity guide) is hard to find here, the game shops have stopped selling everything before the PS2, Xbox and Gamecube so its a pain in the ass to get even PSX games.

shadow77110
10-07-2006, 03:48 AM

shadow77110
10-07-2006, 03:56 AM
Yes, I do realise raritys are different for different formats.
But even Rarity 2 (on the rarity guide) is hard to find here, the game shops have stopped selling everything before the PS2, Xbox and Gamecube so its a pain in the ass to get even PSX games. It just seems like the PAL rarity is x2 for getting them in NZ unfortunatly.

shadow77110
10-07-2006, 04:03 AM
Crap, stupid computer crashed, can a moderator please delete all but the first post above?

kentuckyfried
10-07-2006, 07:44 AM
The DP store only had two FF7s in the store that I saw, and they were in a glass case (one original and one GH). Also inside the case were Silent Hill, Ehrgeiz, and a couple other games I wouldn't consider especially rare.

I've argued this point before about the DP guide and about the value of games in general, and I'm beginning to wonder if I'm on the right side of it. Those of us who have lived in "DP World" for a long time now are accustomed to thinking in terms of rarity. It's still more or less that way with VCS games...RARITY=DESIRABILITY=VALUE. But I'm beginning to wonder if that model can be applied to NES or PSX games. And I'm not just talking about ebay. Toaster Nintendos have been a big seller in the DP store. Obviously there are millions of them out there.

You can argue (as I always have) that the FF7 thing is an exception to the rule, but it sure seems lately there are an awful lot of "exceptions".

It sure does seem that the majority believes that FF7 is worth far more than guide price, myself included, which would make the guide price the price that needs to be adjusted. Personally I'm in the opinion it should be around 35-40.

There are some R1's that have a pretty high guide value, N64 LOZ:Majora's Mask at R1 20$ as an example, I can't remember the game but I'm pretty sure I picked up an R1 35$ game the other day.

I've been told repeatedly by a friend that the guide price is a 'low buy' price, not a retail price, which I believe as well. As the reigning guide expert in this thread, is this true?

On another note, I've noticed in trades that people have often respected the guide price instead of the lower ebay price point, in support of your argument.

Neo Rasa
10-07-2006, 11:27 AM
I must be the luckiest person in the world regionally, since every "rare" game people have suggested I see several copies of in the stores around here.

The only PS2 games so far I'd say could become rare are Robot Alchemic Drive, Gradius III and IV, and Firefighter F.D. 18.

NO ONE should be mentioning Gitaroo-Man or Rez since Game Quest Direct did official reprints of them that are cosmetically identical. You can order them factory sealed right off their site if you want or get the "used" ones that are shipped to Gamestop/EB (though as someone who's worked there for years and still works there I'd advise supporting that company as little as possible).

shadow77110: MDK2 was released on the Dreamcast and PC during the Dreamcast's launch. It's one of the raddest action games ever made. A better 3D Contra game than Legacy of War and Contra Adventure combined. Gigantic bosses, tons of enemies to blast with little slowdown, lots of gameplay variety. Developed by Bioware also.

Later on it got a PS2 port called MDK2: Armageddon with reduced difficulty, significantly more jagged graphics, and longer loading times. It's not really worth getting, and honestly I don't know if I'd consider it rare either as I see it in the store here pretty often.

Same for Echo Night: Beyond (the Gamestop in West Long Branch, NJ still had these sealed for $19.99 last time I checked) and Ring of Red (I see at least one used in reat shape in every GS/EB here).

I do agree that of those, Echo Night will become pretty hard to find in the next few years. Not so sure about Samurai Western as it's still available new in stores.

I addition with Atlus games, a lot of people don't realize you can still get them straight from the source. You can get order Samurai Western and many other of their games off their page right now, which I think will keep them from truly becoming hard to find for some time now.

roushimsx
10-07-2006, 12:17 PM
I addition with Atlus games, a lot of people don't realize you can still get them straight from the source. You can get order Samurai Western and many other of their games off their page right now, which I think will keep them from truly becoming hard to find for some time now.

Something else a lot of people don't realize is how awesome Atlus' online store and support is. I emailed them Friday afternoon before a holiday about ordering coverart, a box, and the collector's items to complete a loose Digital Devil Saga I picked up at a Gamestop. 30 minutes later they replied with a full cost breakdown (it was like $11 :) ) and a week later I had all of the stuff I ordered + a bunch of extra demo discs and soundtracks that they just tossed in because they're awesome.

Also, yesterday I reached a personal goal and found a complete copy of The Adventures of Cookie & Cream. FINALLY :D (only $10, too!). Grabbed Micro Machines too because it was cheap ($8) and I liked previous games in the series. Even if it doesn't wind up being rare down the road, it's frickin' Micro Machines :)

Sounds like NJ is the place to be to stock up on the goodness. I can't find a World of Outlaws to save my life :(

Kid Ice
10-07-2006, 03:19 PM
I've been told repeatedly by a friend that the guide price is a 'low buy' price, not a retail price, which I believe as well. As the reigning guide expert in this thread, is this true?

It is stated in the guide that prices are on the low side.

Neo Rasa
10-09-2006, 09:56 AM
Sounds like NJ is the place to be to stock up on the goodness. I can't find a World of Outlaws to save my life :(

Haven't seen that one in a month or so but it definitely popps up here now and then. Gamestop hasn't caught on either so it's like $4.99 used last time I checked.

roushimsx
10-09-2006, 03:04 PM
Haven't seen that one in a month or so but it definitely popps up here now and then. Gamestop hasn't caught on either so it's like $4.99 used last time I checked.

I'll have to pay closer attention to those bins when I shop. I haven't spotted it in there or on the shelf yet, but I'll keep looking :)

GameCollector
06-09-2007, 05:08 AM
i think Ephemeral Fantasia is really rare!

Neo Rasa
06-10-2007, 12:38 AM
The only copy of Ephemeral Fantasia I've ever seen in my entire life is the one I own. A sealed one I kept stored away in the store I worked at at the time until the price dropped sufficiently.

GameCollector
06-10-2007, 03:56 AM
yep its really rare!

sabre2922
06-10-2007, 04:16 AM
The ONLY copy of Gradius 5 ive seen in my area is the copy that I picked up last year.

same goes for Rtype Final but then again there are only two stores that sell videogames in my area :embarrassed: not including pawnshops.

Pascal
06-10-2007, 04:44 AM
the japanese Gradius 5 limited Version is really rare ! The us version is common !

smork
06-10-2007, 07:45 AM
The only copy of Ephemeral Fantasia I've ever seen in my entire life is the one I own. A sealed one I kept stored away in the store I worked at at the time until the price dropped sufficiently.

I've seen LOTS of those in the past year. I've only spent maybe 4 weeks in the states in the past year and a half and so only been to a few gamestores, but it seemed I saw a copy in almost every store. (Note -- these mostly have been GameCrazy stores). I think it's just another regional thing.

I'm personally of the opinion that there aren't any real rare PS2 games. Slightly uncommon, perhaps, but rare? No. Perhaps many of the Atlus games are getting harder to find, but really, not so terribly hard. Nothing at all like the rare games from previous generations!

gepeto
06-10-2007, 10:09 AM
What are you guys thought on radian 3 I see only limited copies even though it is fairly new.

sabre2922
06-10-2007, 10:17 AM
Was Raiden 3 released in the U.S. ? the reason I ask is that I have NEVER seen a copy of it in my area.

and I desperately want to pick up a copy to add it alongside my beloved RAIDEN PROJECT PSX longbox edition:rocker:

heybtbm
06-10-2007, 10:31 AM
Was Raiden 3 released in the U.S. ? the reason I ask is that I have NEVER seen a copy of it in my area.

Raiden 3 was a potential rarity here in the US (as was discussed here in its own thread last month). However...Walmart struck a deal with UFO to make Raiden 3 a $19.99 budget title at their stores nationwide. You can go into any Walmart and see stacks of these. Raiden 3 is definitely not rare or hard to find anymore (this is not a bad thing at all IMO).

fahlim003
06-10-2007, 10:38 AM
The Red Star just came out quite recently and I've not seen it on a shelf anywhere since I got my copy on release day here in Canada (which I might add was delayed a bit).

Some other titles I'd say are rare in my area:
Robot Alchemic Drive
Escape from Monkey Island
Gungriffon Blaze
Culdcept
Zone of the Enders 2
Skygunner

Speaking of Raiden 3, I seem to see at least one copy per store. I think that's partly due to the higher price but it's maybe not as uncommon as The Red Star methinks.

Steve W
06-10-2007, 05:30 PM
I've found Raiden III in Best Buy, Fry's Electronics, and in the game section of a computer store called MicroCenter. I've never seen it in Wal-Mart, since I can't stand that place.

That computer store, MicroCenter, has a dedicated videogame section. They've always got titles there in the PS2 section that I've never seen before. It reminds me of all those dreams I have about stumbling across some odd game shop with all sorts of titles I've never heard of before.

gepeto
06-10-2007, 06:20 PM
I think there needs to be a universal wordwide stoppage of applying the word rare to a game until universal standards can be set up defining what makes a rare game rare.

One problem I had and still have to this day is when I started out hunting the minute I heard the word rare tied to a game it was stuck in my mind I had this urge to get it or I might miss out. That my friend is a costly problem and a major problem in the world of collecting. I was going over some lists in this post and went to three gamestops all that had alot of games on peoples lists.

Without much effort I saw rad, chrono q,pirates lobc,ribbit king,echo night new for 9.99,obscure ,the guy game, etc.

I think we need to file down and sharpen the process and maybe ask the question first sorta put it out there and if a certain number of people say they see (sorta a BOLO) it then take it falls from possible rare status. I remember someone talking awhile back on how mentioning something was rare before actually knowing is viral and bad.

I went out and saw kya mint I picked it up and then the next store I went to I saw 3 copies. I actually had the trade demo and liked it but I think alot of people are wasting money being misinformed.

I wouldn't know where to begin to investigate but I think we need to designate someone or a group to be an authority on it.
Questions that need to be asked.
Does 30 plus copies in tennessee and 0 in maryland make a game rare.
Does launch titles that are hard to find in the consoles 6 year make them rare?
I saw a sorta lowbudget straight to video game called made man hilarious I know that is a low print run will it be rare?

Sorry just thinking outloud:)

Steve W
06-10-2007, 08:13 PM
Choro Q has been mentioned as rare, but Dallas's Fry's Electronics stores literally have a hundred on their shelves across their 4 locations. So many in fact that they've put them on sale right now for $6.99. If 'rare' means 'dirt common', then sure, it's rare.

Overbite
06-10-2007, 09:12 PM
Definetly Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

Thats not rare, thats just expensive. My local Gamestop has 4 copies of it for $70 each

smork
06-10-2007, 10:08 PM
Choro Q has been mentioned as rare, but Dallas's Fry's Electronics stores literally have a hundred on their shelves across their 4 locations. So many in fact that they've put them on sale right now for $6.99. If 'rare' means 'dirt common', then sure, it's rare.

Yeah, that's a really far from rare game. I've seen literally hundreds of Choro Q as well.

I agree with Gepeto -- we need some sort of informed way of calling something rare. Actual print numbers would be a nice start to that.

mailman187666
06-11-2007, 10:32 AM
the rarity guide has been updated in the PS2 section and it says the rarest game is the Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence LE (R5). I took a look at the list and it seems pretty accurate to me. Check it out, it may be some help.

Pascal
06-13-2007, 05:32 AM
where can i find the rarity guide?

sabre2922
06-13-2007, 08:07 AM
we need some sort of informed way of calling something rare. Actual print numbers would be a nice start to that.

You know maybe the whole rare Xbox/GC/PS2 games thing doesnt do overall justice to the subject of what may bring more value to the last-gens games on said systems.

OK ill try to explain.

I think that many PS2 games will be worth more $$$ as time goes on not bc they are "rare" in the sense of actual low production numbers but since some will be in MUCH MORE DEMAND than more common games.

Sure some Xbox1 and GC games will be sought after as well.

Im sure that Capcom vs. Marvel 2 will stay at a hefty price when compared to say madden2005 obviously even though C vs. M 2 was released on the Xbox1 and GC also.

now about Capcom vs. SNK 2 PS2 ? the copy I picked up is the ONLY copy ive seen in over a year. How common or uncommon is this game?

Oobgarm
06-13-2007, 08:14 AM
now about Capcom vs. SNK 2 PS2 ? the copy I picked up is the ONLY copy ive seen in over a year. How common or uncommon is this game?

BORDERLINE uncommon. That's pushing it. It's got a '2' rating in the guide. The only reason you don't see it out there a lot is because there isn't much demand for it. If they start selling for a large amount of money(doubtful), expect the market to fill up quickly.

Oobgarm
06-13-2007, 08:15 AM
where can i find the rarity guide?

http://www.digitpress.com/DP/cmf/search.cmf

It used to be on the forum page, but is now only linked on the main digitpress.com home page.

Pascal
06-16-2007, 04:09 AM
thanks !

mobile2k
06-16-2007, 10:31 AM
Spamz is not a rare PS2 game.

CelticJobber
08-30-2007, 03:43 AM
Will variant covers be considered rare or valuable one day?

Just for example, WWE Smackdown VS Raw 2007 on PS2 was sold at Circuit City (and possibly Best Buy) with a bonus DVD of WWE previews. On the bottom edge of the front cover it has an orange strip that says "includes bonus disc" (not a sticker, its printed on the cover) are variants like this sought after in the collector's market?

Oobgarm
08-30-2007, 07:19 AM
I'm gonna say no.

There will be a few isolated incidents of people wanting every variant, but on the whole, you're not going to see a lot of interest, even in the collector market.

The only incidents where something like that is going to be prevalent is when the game was not a high-profile release like a WWE game. RPGs and niche titles will see the most action in that regard.

orrimarrko
08-30-2007, 11:14 PM
Thats not rare, thats just expensive. My local Gamestop has 4 copies of it for $70 each

It's expensive because it kicks ass, not because it's rare. Because it kicks ass, people hang on to their copies. Thus the price hike, and the perception that it's rare.

roushimsx
08-31-2007, 12:12 AM
It's expensive because it kicks ass

I so strongly disagree about its ass kickingness. Honestly, if it weren't for the music, I probably would have grown to love the game. Sometimes, very rarely, bad music CAN completely ruin a game for someone. :(

Anyone seen the going prices of SMT: Nocturne on eBay as of late? Jesus christ, it's enough to make me want to part with my copy + guidebook.

norkusa
08-31-2007, 12:54 PM
BORDERLINE uncommon. That's pushing it. It's got a '2' rating in the guide.

To call MvC2 a step above the most common PS2 games like Madden or GTA is a bit ridiculous. The game isn't rare by any means but it's not *that* common. It's a '3' at the very least.

G-Boobie
08-31-2007, 01:16 PM

Yeah, Ebay is just as often a problem as it is a help.

I remember being able to find deals out there in the wild. Now, all anyone with ANYTHING of value has to do is boot up Ebay and they immediately have a perceived value.... It sort of takes away the thrill of the hunt. It's not just games, obviously, but since that's what we collect....

Pezcore343
08-31-2007, 01:26 PM
Isn't ICO a pretty rare ps2 title? I know it can still be found in a select few GameStops if you're lucky, but those are usually the stores out in the boonies who have 5 customers a week.

heybtbm
08-31-2007, 01:36 PM
Yeah, Ebay is just as often a problem as it is a help.

I remember being able to find deals out there in the wild. Now, all anyone with ANYTHING of value has to do is boot up Ebay and they immediately have a perceived value.... It sort of takes away the thrill of the hunt. It's not just games, obviously, but since that's what we collect....

This is so true. One of the local used video game stores here in Madison uses ebay as a pricing guide (regardless of the items condition). It usually results in a few good laughs everytime I stop in.

"$49.99 for the scratched up, disc only, Greatest Hits copy of SotN? Um...no thanks."

Kitsune Sniper
08-31-2007, 01:44 PM
Isn't ICO a pretty rare ps2 title? I know it can still be found in a select few GameStops if you're lucky, but those are usually the stores out in the boonies who have 5 customers a week.

I believe it got a GameQuestDirect reprint, so it's not -that- rare anymore. My local Gamestop has a "new" copy for $20.

Also, MvsC2 is a horribly broken game with truly awful music. (The only other Capcom game which features music that's a lot worse is SF3: Third Strike.) It's not worth even close to $15.

mailman187666
08-31-2007, 01:45 PM
It's expensive because it kicks ass, not because it's rare. Because it kicks ass, people hang on to their copies. Thus the price hike, and the perception that it's rare.

In my opinion, just because there is a lot of copies of a game like Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 that have been produced and sold in stores doesn't mean it isn't rare. Like what was said before, everynody wants to hang onto thier copies, meaning that available copies become harder to find. If nobody wants to get rid of thier copy of the game, it is going to be considered rare because the amount of available copies are slim. So maybe the game itself isn't rare, but the availability of the game could probably be considered rare.

heybtbm
08-31-2007, 02:04 PM
The only other Capcom game which features music that's a lot worse is SF3: Third Strike

WHAT?

You are in the severe minority with that opinion. Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike has one of the best fighting game soundtracks...ever. The Dudley, Ken/Alex, and Elena stage songs ARE the best fighting game songs ever. Madness!

Kitsune Sniper
08-31-2007, 02:25 PM
WHAT?

You are in the severe minority with that opinion. Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike has one of the best fighting game soundtracks...ever. The Dudley, Ken/Alex, and Elena stage songs ARE the best fighting game songs ever. Madness!

Are you sure you don't mean Second Impact? Why did they choose really bad hip-hop for third strike? I can't stand the game because of the music.

Edit: Gah, veering dangerously off-topic here. Sorry. >_>

Pezcore343
09-01-2007, 01:11 AM
i know that my gamestop has one copy of jurassic park operation genesis for ps2 which is listed at 49.99 used. so i'm assuming it's quite rare since i doubt there is much demand.

evil_genius
09-01-2007, 02:58 AM
Yeah cuz I play fighting games for the music.

Dave Farquhar
09-01-2007, 01:37 PM
This is so true. One of the local used video game stores here in Madison uses ebay as a pricing guide (regardless of the items condition). It usually results in a few good laughs everytime I stop in.

"$49.99 for the scratched up, disc only, Greatest Hits copy of SotN? Um...no thanks."

Eventually people who sell collectibles either learn that condition and variations matter, or they end up sitting on a really big pile of overpriced inventory. For now eBay has made things a lot worse--and for all collectibles, whether you're into video games or anything else.

Another thing that people forget is that eBay listings have people from literally all over the world looking, which is a lot different from something sitting in a glass case in a corner shop. If they want an eBay price, odds are they're going to have to sell on eBay. That's what a small camera shop where one of my friends used to work learned. The owner found he could get higher prices on eBay than the local market would support, so any time I walked into the store, there Mike was, plinking away on his Thinkpad on eBay. Eventually he closed the shop and now he just runs his business on eBay and all he has is some warehouse space.

I'm sure we all have stories where we picked something up, asked how much, and the person said, "I saw one for a hundred on eBay." It doesn't happen to me EVERY weekend, but it happens often enough. The funny thing is, usually when I find something that actually is valuable, it's priced really cheap.

Kevincal
09-01-2007, 01:59 PM
World of Outlaws: Sprintcars 2002

It's a great racing game too... Goes for about $50 used on eBay last time I checked, but it's been awhile...

MarioMania
09-01-2007, 02:15 PM
If MvsC2 is like in the $70 range at Gamestop and like $90 on ebay...Why dosn't the DC version sell that high, DC version is better

roushimsx
09-01-2007, 02:55 PM
If MvsC2 is like in the $70 range at Gamestop and like $90 on ebay...Why dosn't the DC version sell that high, DC version is better

Probably because everyone that has a DC and likes the game has either picked it up already or has pirated the hell out of it.

G-Boobie
09-01-2007, 10:44 PM
.....For now eBay has made things a lot worse--and for all collectibles, whether you're into video games or anything else.

Another thing that people forget is that eBay listings have people from literally all over the world looking, which is a lot different from something sitting in a glass case in a corner shop. If they want an eBay price, odds are they're going to have to sell on eBay. That's what a small camera shop where one of my friends used to work learned. The owner found he could get higher prices on eBay than the local market would support, so any time I walked into the store, there Mike was, plinking away on his Thinkpad on eBay. Eventually he closed the shop and now he just runs his business on eBay and all he has is some warehouse space.

.... The funny thing is, usually when I find something that actually is valuable, it's priced really cheap.

Yeah, exactly my point.

I don't think there's a local used video game shop around that doesn't do the majority of their business via Ebay; either through sales or the acquisition of new stock. I know that a lot of members here own or work at local shops; correct me if I'm wrong.

The REAL problem with Ebay is that the 'Ebay price' ends up becoming the standard; which is why people have Gamestops with FOUR copies of MvC2 at what, seventy bucks? And someone, having seen that game sell for that price on Ebay, will gladly pay it for the convenience of not having it shipped, and think they got a deal.

If I find a valuable game for cheap, it's usually because I'm trolling pawn shops or thrift stores. Has anyone made a notable score from a Gamestop or local store lately?

Promophile
09-01-2007, 11:14 PM
Has anyone made a notable score from a Gamestop or local store lately?

In the last 4 years I've found 2 R7+ Playstation games at Gamestops (Psychic Detective and Zoop) as well as UFO Defense and Bust a Groove 2.

Pezcore343
09-02-2007, 12:59 AM
I made quite a few deals at Gamestop recently, but only because I was digging through the playstation and n64 boxes in the back room and got the games for 85% off. Although not many of them were terribly rare.

thjufgikig
09-03-2007, 04:12 AM
Polaroid Pete, it is a great game.

Bojay1997
09-03-2007, 01:45 PM
Polaroid Pete, it is a great game.

That was never released unfortunately.

colicub
09-03-2007, 02:26 PM
Well, since I live in the UK, I can only think of PAL releases that are rare (or even uncommon) but they have to include:

Freak Out! (aka Stretch Panic. It's made by Treasure which already makes it collectable, but the different covers and the fact that it didn't do too well make it quite hard to find)
Rez (yeah, I know it was re-released in the US, but not over here, so it's still quite hard to find)
Gradius III & IV (getting really hard to find, even though it's not that good)
Gradius V (Treasure and Konami, combined with pretty low print run make this potentially valuable)
La Pucelle: Tactics (I've only seen this game for sale about twice)
Psychonauts (ok, maybe not overly rare, but it's destined to become a future classic)
Space Channel 5 (been looking for this for months, still a pain to find)
Space Channel 5 Part 2 (I bought my copy from Australia, the company I bought it from went bust, and it took me MONTHS to track down another!)

It's also probable that a lot of the late-release or budget games that are quite good or memorable are liable to be rare, such as the Gunbird Special Edition or Ninjabread Man.

As ever, YMMV.

RadiantSvgun
09-03-2007, 03:25 PM
In the future, all those Shin Megami Tensei games will be rare.

norkusa
09-03-2007, 03:36 PM
In the future, all those Shin Megami Tensei games will be rare.

Not unless Atlus keeps reprinting them.

roushimsx
09-03-2007, 04:53 PM
Not unless Atlus keeps reprinting them.

Hopefully they do keep printing them and drive the price down on those copies of Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga. More people need to be enticed into playing 'em. They drove the price down on Persona 2 and both Devil Summoner and DDS2 are cheap as beans right now, but Nocturne and DDS are fairly prohibitively priced (as far as used games go).

Promophile
09-03-2007, 06:51 PM
Hopefully they do keep printing them and drive the price down on those copies of Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga. More people need to be enticed into playing 'em. They drove the price down on Persona 2 and both Devil Summoner and DDS2 are cheap as beans right now, but Nocturne and DDS are fairly prohibitively priced (as far as used games go).

I find it funny that the price of Persona 1 has skyrocketed to 60+. Just a few years ago it was ~20 dollars.

yok-dfa
12-27-2007, 03:24 PM
Anyone have an idea what rare PAL PS2 titles are?

misfits859
12-27-2007, 04:15 PM
I find it funny that the price of Persona 1 has skyrocketed to 60+. Just a few years ago it was ~20 dollars.

On a similar and slightly related note, I've noticed that Persona 3 has been creeping up slightly lately on ebay. I haven't noticed any in the stores in my area lately either.

ScourDX
12-28-2007, 07:27 PM
Uncommon PS2 games

- Castle Shikigami
- Mister Mosquito
- Way of the Samurai 2
- Virtual on Marz
- Ecco the Dolphin
- Growlanser: Generations Deluxe
- Growlanser: Heritage of War
- Stella Deus
- Ar Tonelico: Melody of Elemia
- Metropolismania
- Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil
- King of Fighter 00/01
- King of Fighter 02/03
- Monster Hunter
- Steambot Chronicles
- Super Bust-A-Move 2

yok-dfa
12-29-2007, 04:37 AM
Uncommon PS2 games

I assume these are all NTSC?

josekortez
12-29-2007, 06:38 AM
I assume these are all NTSC?

Yeah, although I don't know about Castle Shikigami 2 and Metropolismania. I've been to several Gamestops and even though both games are now down to $5.99 used, I've seen several copies just lying around there, although I keep buying duplicate copies of CS2.

yok-dfa
12-29-2007, 10:06 AM
Both Castle Shikigame 2 and Metropolismania exist in PAL format too. I think only these games do not exist in PAL:

- Virtual on Marz
- Growlanser: Generations Deluxe

Three-P
12-29-2007, 03:43 PM
Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Ico, and that's all I can think of.

G-Boobie
12-30-2007, 04:33 AM
On a similar and slightly related note, I've noticed that Persona 3 has been creeping up slightly lately on ebay. I haven't noticed any in the stores in my area lately either.

Yeah, it's an Atlus game. Even reprints go for ridiculous amounts on the aftermarket.

I saw a horribly beaten copy of Nocturn at a Gamestop a couple weeks ago; the used price tag said eighty bucks. Its a sad, sad world.

gepeto
12-30-2007, 08:04 AM
I went by a gamestop and saw jurassic park for the ps2 selling used for 49.00. I was like wow that is high for that game.

coreys429
12-31-2007, 02:55 AM
Grand theft auto 3

How is this rare?

coreys429
12-31-2007, 03:12 AM
Nascar: Dirt to Daytona rare one to find, as well as MX 2002 with Rickey Carmichael. BMX XXX in my area was hard to find for the longest time.

Oobgarm
12-31-2007, 06:28 AM
Uncommon PS2 games

- Way of the Samurai 2
- Virtual on Marz
- Ar Tonelico: Melody of Elemia
- Metropolismania
- King of Fighter 00/01
- King of Fighter 02/03
- Monster Hunter
- Steambot Chronicles
- Super Bust-A-Move 2

These may be borderline uncommon in the future, but easily locatable with a bit of looking-perhaps with Growlanser being the only exception if we're considering the deluxe version.

xfrumx
01-01-2008, 12:59 PM
Yeah, it's an Atlus game. Even reprints go for ridiculous amounts on the aftermarket.

I saw a horribly beaten copy of Nocturn at a Gamestop a couple weeks ago; the used price tag said eighty bucks. Its a sad, sad world.

I saw a decent condition copy for $55 or $60, wish i bought it.

Mangar
01-05-2008, 02:32 PM
It took me trips to five different Gamestops/EB Games before i found a copy of Theme Park Rollercoaster. One had it in the computer, and me and an employee looked for about 20 minutes before we gave up. The store i finally found it in, an employee checked his computer and told me they had none. I looked anyway, found a box - and WHAM.. Got me a copy for 9.99. Has a noticeable scratch on the DVD, but works fine.

Thats the rarest I've seen. I've seen one copy of G1 Hockey in the wild, but didn't pick it up. Also Heroes of Might and Magic I seen at only one of the stores i've been to. (Also picked that up with Culdcept)

TonyTheTiger
01-11-2008, 01:25 PM

I think the "rules of the game" so to speak have changed and I would attribute that to the growing prominence of the video game industry. Think about what it was like back in the 70s and early 80s. Video games were essentially electronic toys. I don't think anybody back then imagined things would progress to the point where the industry would eventually rival Hollywood in production values and profits. Fast forward a little bit and now you have a number of rare Atari games. So what? Some of them suck. But that doesn't matter because collectors care about the hunt. It's thrilling to score something others can't. The number of collectors outweigh the number of rare Atari cartridges so that drives the value up. But here's the thing: In general, it's only collectors who are fighting over these games.

Now consider how big video games have become. The initial assumption from a collector is that newer games are being printed in higher quantities so they won't be worth as much. Why? Because even though Dual Hearts may have had a printing of only 5,000 that's probably enough to keep collectors happy. They may be right. Dual Hearts may have a small print run but the prices may stay low. I bought a Dual Hearts recently but unless all of a sudden people start thinking "OMG amazing game!" I doubt it will become particularly valuable. But for $8 what do I have to lose?

Now look at FFVII. Millions of copies. But millions of people wanting those copies, perhaps? Not to burst anyone's bubble, but collectors matter very little now in determining prices. The gamer, however, numbers in the millions and collectively determine the value of something even if it may not be rare by the standards of a collector or the DP guide.

Let's look at a handful of games that are notorious on Ebay. Radiant Silvergun, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Akumajo Dracula X: Rondo of Blood, Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy VII. By all accounts, these are far from the rarest of the rare. Some like PDS may not be super easy to find but there are other games that are rarer and actually cheaper. What do all these games have in common, though? Answer: They all rule. They're all genuinely good (if not great) games. What this tells me is that while collectors think in terms of rarity, gamers think in terms of quality. People know Chrono Trigger rules. People therefore want Chrono Trigger. The number of gamers bidding is higher than the number of copies on Ebay at any given point so the prices stay up. Collectors don't factor in at all. While collectors may be scrambling for the R7s, R8s, and R9s that show up on occasion, they are far fewer in number than the millions who want Chrono Trigger.

Explain to me why not too long ago in the DP store I bought Raystorm (R7) for twenty bucks but at the same time there was a boxed copy of Chrono Trigger (R2) sitting in a case for one hundred and twenty bucks? RARITY = DESIRABILITY = VALUE may work in a collector's market but in a gamer's market QUALITY = DESIRABILITY = VALUE. Rarity becomes incidental. The rarer it is, the higher the prices will go but that depends a lot on how many gamers actually want the thing.

In fact, Dragonball GT: Final Bout is probably the best example even though it doesn't qualify as a good game. If I remember correctly, the original Final Bout printing numbered around 10,000. That's roughly where PDS falls I think. Both are R6. Not exactly common but not impossible to find either. Nobody cared about the game. I certainly didn't when I rented it (I was a Dragonball fan before it was cool to be one). But lo and behold, DBZ went to Cartoon Network and exploded. Now everybody wanted this mystical game just because it was Dragonball. These weren't collectors. They were crazy DBZ fanatics.

I have some friends who are highly dedicated to playing games. But I guarantee that if we were browsing old games in a pawn shop, each costing $5, they would flip right past Stadium Events, Tengen Tetris, Fun & Games, and a Cheetahmen II and pick up a Mike Tyson's Punch Out instead. In general they don't know what any of these games are. They would notice a DKC Comp cart or a Star Fox Super Weekend because those are special versions of high profile games. They'd notice a Panzer Dragoon Saga or a Rondo of Blood because of their notoriety. But for the most part, it's not gamers competing over Cheetahmen II cartridges. Collectors need to get the idea out of their head that their demand alone is what determines value. There are too many gamers out there now. Those are the people that determine value. The only time collectors have that much power over prices is when there are so few known copies of something that the game may as well not even exist.

Conclusion: The average gamer doesn't want an old crappy Atari game but he does want Chrono Trigger.

roushimsx
01-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Anyone seen the price of Ace Combat Zero on ebay recently ($50+ used)? God damn, what happened there?

Futurama has also been on a hell of an upswing over the last few months. :(

gepeto
01-12-2008, 10:28 PM
I am not sure about rare but 2 weeks ago I saw raw danger a budget game priced at 12.99 used. I went today and saw 8 used all with the same day sticker. The game looks different but I can't believe 7 people traded that game in the last week.

Bojay1997
01-13-2008, 12:54 AM
Anyone seen the price of Ace Combat Zero on ebay recently ($50+ used)? God damn, what happened there?

Futurama has also been on a hell of an upswing over the last few months. :(

I have sort of a system now for determining when price bumps are going to happen on Ebay for PS2 games that I haven't bought yet. It seems to start when Amazon runs out of copies. Amazon is usually the last or one of the last on-line retailers to have most PS2 games in stock. At that point, I usually have a couple of weeks to try and find a copy at an indie game shop or Circuit City in a "bad neighborhood". Still, Ace Combat Zero isn't hard to find at Circuit City and I'm pretty sure TRU still has it in many stores. I think part of it is just that people are kind of lazy when it comes to looking at alternative sources for games and will just assume if copies on Ebay are being listed with BINs of $50, then that is what the game is worth.

roushimsx
01-13-2008, 06:24 AM
Still, Ace Combat Zero isn't hard to find at Circuit City and I'm pretty sure TRU still has it in many stores.

It's still full price at pretty much every B&M store I've seen it at...I've been waiting for the price to drop forever. Figures.... I just picked it up at $30 yesterday and happened to chance across a copy for $20 today at a store that totally did not have a copy the last time I checked. Ended up picking it up and returning the $30 copy. :)

Jehuty
01-13-2008, 07:59 AM
Speaking about Pal games , these are a few that seem quite difficult to find.

Valken
Atlantis 3
Shadow Hearts
Drakengard 2
Shadow of Memories
Silent Scope