PDA

View Full Version : PSP's stolen...:(

jonjandran
10-13-2006, 07:42 PM
Well after all the drama in my life this year I finally got to take a vacation with my wife and 2 boys.

We decided to go to Los Angeles. Straight flight from Atlanta, arrived in LA and got a nice hotel room in Hollywood. We decided to walk down to a Mexican restaraunt to eat.

Two hours later we get back to our room and go to bed. The next mrning we get up and get ready to go and start looking for the kids Psp's and they are missing. One was in my laptop case and the other in the kids backpack.

What's strange is nothing else was touched. The Ipod was still there , the $2500 laptop still there, the $500 digital camera, Sony headphones, everything else.

WTF ? Who would have broke in the room and stolen 2 Psp's and left everything else ?

And they were both version 1.5 Psp's with new custom faceplates and 2gb Memory sticks. And one had a custom 4500mah battery.

Well the vacations ruined for the kids and I'm not so happy either.

People suck. :(

LiquidPolicenaut
10-13-2006, 07:56 PM
Man, hat sucks Getting something stolen is never a good thing :( When you arrived, you dropped off your bags right away in the hotel and they stayed there ever since? No chance they may have been stolen if the bags were anywhere else with you? When was the last time you saw them? I'm with you on this about stealing just the PSPs and leaving some of the more expensive stuff you mentioned sounds odd....

jonjandran
10-13-2006, 08:00 PM
Man, hat sucks Getting something stolen is never a good thing :( When you arrived, you dropped off your bags right away in the hotel and they stayed there ever since? No chance they may have been stolen if the bags were anywhere else with you? When was the last time you saw them? I'm with you on this about stealing just the PSPs and leaving some of the more expensive stuff you mentioned sounds odd....

Yea the Psp's were with us on the flight. We put them in our carry-on luggage.(laptop bag and backpack). Then we got our bags and got a rental car and left the airport and went straight to the motel. Then 1 hour later went to eat. Then came back and went to bed.

It's weird. All I can think of is the door didn't close all the way when we left to eat and a kid snuck in and just went for the game systems ?

Bratwurst
10-13-2006, 08:04 PM
Hotel theft is pretty common, I hope you brought it up with the front desk/manager right away, you might get hit again if you're still there.

jonjandran
10-13-2006, 08:25 PM
Hotel theft is pretty common, I hope you brought it up with the front desk/manager right away, you might get hit again if you're still there.

Yea I talked to the Manager and got the standard " We're not responsible for items left in the room" bullcrap. To which I informed him that just because I carry a sign saying "I'm not responsible if you piss me off and I kill you" that doesn't relieve me of responsibility if I kill someone. He didn't seem to like that.

And I told him I would probably call the police before I left if it wasn't found, and he definitely wasn't happy about that. Then I mentioned the BBB and he started to get real unhappy with me.

Well they're gone and nothing will bring them back and they are just material things. But I hate people stealing things from me , I mean I help a lot of people and give a lot of my time and energy for others. So this hurts a bit.

And when I was taking care of my dad earlier this year in Atlanta (he has cancer) my car was broken into at the hospital and $4000 worth of stereo equipment was stolen.

It hasn't been a fun year. :(

Slate
10-13-2006, 09:05 PM
What the, Who would just walk in and JUST steal the PSPs and leave an iPod, AND a digital camera? (Forget the laptop, The camera and iPod could have been taken a bit easier)

You might want to check in with the local game stores and see if there was anyone who traded in two PSPs. It's a long shot, I know.

norkusa
10-13-2006, 11:08 PM
I bet it was someone working inside the hotel that did it. I mean, who else would have access to your room? I hear it's pretty common for hotel employees to do shit like that too with all the out-of-towners they got going thru the place. That's why they probably left all the other stuff, so it wouldn't be so obvious and that you'd second guess yourself.

Bratwurst
10-13-2006, 11:46 PM
And I told him I would probably call the police before I left if it wasn't found,

I wouldn't wait, I'd get the police involved asap. Ask around, see if anyone else renting rooms was stolen from. Light a fire under the manager's ass, what can they do, kick you out?

It could very well be someone working for the hotel, or even more likely, someone staying there that lifted the keys from the cleaning lady or elsewhere. Vacationers are picked on because thiefs figure they won't bother looking into it especially if they have to leave the next day.

Which hotel are you staying at anyway Jon?

dairugger
10-14-2006, 05:52 AM
coming from someone who worked in the hotel business for more than five years, im betting on housekeeping, or a houseman that stole your psps. this happens alot, and they didnt take anything else so that it wouldnt be obvious, and maybe in their eyes serious. im thinking theyre betting on you not getting the police involved. which is what you should do..

and if you complain enough, and ask for the gm (general manager) and threaten to contact corporate- they should reimburse you the cost of your equipment, and most likely throw in a comp night or weekend for the trouble! Ive seen this happen- and this is how you have to follow through on it-cause theyre betting on you just sucking it up! Ive seen many cameras, laptops, and other stuff stolen- and all of it was replaced! let us know what happens.

dairugger
10-14-2006, 05:55 AM
btw- security should have tapes of the corridors! and if theyre using electronic locks- the system keeps track of who made a card for your room, and the door keeps track of what key opened it - either guest (itll show what associate made the key and at what time it was made and used) or housekeeping.

The Shawn
10-14-2006, 06:07 AM
My wife worked in the Hotel industry for a while, and she fired a LOT of housekeepers for stealing! It's true man think about it? Only the PSP's? They were hoping you wouldn't notice till' you were on your merry way.

Make a stink NOW! before you leave. Just cause a big scene in front of other patrons and the Manager. You'll get results. Your talking 700 bucks worth of YOUR shit, you have a right to. I'd accuse the hotel staff of the burgalary in front of everyone!!

Hope you get em' back dude, cause that sucks.

segagamer4life
10-14-2006, 09:39 AM
I bet it was someone working inside the hotel that did it. I mean, who else would have access to your room? I hear it's pretty common for hotel employees to do shit like that too with all the out-of-towners they got going thru the place. That's why they probably left all the other stuff, so it wouldn't be so obvious and that you'd second guess yourself.

damn people suck.. sorry for your loss man, I have been stung like most of us have, by the theft bug.... it sucks no matter how you look at it.

diskoboy
10-14-2006, 11:41 AM
That sucks, dude.

I'm also willing to bet dollars to donuts that someone in housekeeping stole it. Another $1000 says if you were in LA, they were illegal aliens.

So you may wanna threaten to get INS/ICE (whatever the hell they're called now) involved - it works every time..

Muscelli
10-14-2006, 11:49 AM
basically.. what everyone else said.. Keep fighting the guy until you get compensation.. Do everything you can

jonjandran
10-16-2006, 06:38 PM
Well I'm at a loss here.

The GM and I spent 1 hour looking through the tapes of Thursday night and Friday morning and Nothing. We see my family and I leaving and coming back but nothing else near our door.

There's only on strange time where the maintenance man pushed a rollaway by my door and it totally blocks the camera view for a few minutes and he disaapears.

But this guy is old and has worked at the Ramada for 8 years the manager said. And he lives here and has no family. And I don't think there was enough time to do any searching.

So I have no clue. Called the airport Lost and Found and nothing there. Bu I know for a fact I put them in the carry-on.

Well guess I'll just save up for more :(

FantasiaWHT
10-17-2006, 01:27 PM
Hate to be the asshole, but there's always the possibility that your two boys did something with them that they won't admit to.

jonjandran
10-17-2006, 11:08 PM
Hate to be the asshole, but there's always the possibility that your two boys did something with them that they won't admit to.

Not even a question. These guys are perfect with their games and systems. Plus I put one in the Laptop case and then watched my oldest put the other in his case.

And my boys NEVER leave my sight. I don't trust strangers especially in LA.

norkusa
10-18-2006, 12:03 AM
It's gotta be that cleaning man. From what you've described, it sounds like you're 100% positive the PSP's were still in your bags when you got to the hotel. Later, the PSP's are gone and the only time the surveillance cam is obstructed is when the cleaning man (who has access to every room in the hotel) conveniently places the cart in front of it for a couple minutes. Yeah, it was him.

Just because he's old doesn't mean he couldn't have done it. I used to work in a bingo hall for a while. Those old people are fucking kleptos.

jonjandran
10-18-2006, 12:06 AM
It's gotta be that cleaning man. From what you've described, it sounds like you're 100% positive the PSP's were still in your bags when you got to the hotel. Later, the PSP's are gone and the only time the surveillance cam is obstructed is when the cleaning man (who has access to every room in the hotel) conveniently places the cart in front of it for a couple minutes. Yeah, it was him.

Just because he's old doesn't mean he couldn't have done it. I used to work in a bingo hall for a while. Those old people are fucking kleptos.

Sure could have been. But that would have involved accusing someone whom I wasn't 100% sure was guilty. And I couldn't do that. :(

evil_genius
10-18-2006, 12:58 AM
(Pointless racist comment removed. -Flack)

The Shawn
10-18-2006, 08:20 AM
Man it was the old dude, so what, accuse the fucker. Yeah he's worked there 8 years and lives at the place. Great opputunity to make some x-tra coin on out of towners. Why do you think he's still there?

Nobody lasts that long cleaning rooms on the salary they pay.Or mopping floors for that matter.

dylan0228
10-18-2006, 08:56 AM
Yeah, I`d contact the police & have them watch the surveillance tapes. They`ll see what happened & make the old man sweat it! Was there any opportunity for anyone to rummage through your stuff on the plane after you put them away? I`d even consider pressing charges against the hotel. Just because their policy states it`s not there responsibility, doesn`t mean the law sees it that way. Good luck & keep us posted, but definitley pursue this right now!

Damaramu
10-18-2006, 07:06 PM
He's probably already pawned one for some Thunderbird and saving the other for grandkid's Christmas present.

carlcarlson
10-18-2006, 09:50 PM
i used to work at wal-mart, and the old employees that had been there for 10 or more years were the ones who stole the most. I understand you not wanting to accuse a potentially innocent man, but I say you gotta risk it, you owe it to yourself.