PDA

View Full Version : Best ps2 shoot em ups?

Richter Belmount
10-17-2006, 03:32 AM
I just got contra shattered soldier , its a little weak on difficulty but its still a great game. Just wondering what are some others personal favs on the system.(im thinking if i want some awesome ones id have to import)

roushimsx
10-17-2006, 04:33 AM
Are you just interested in run and guns like Contra or shmups like Gradius V? :)

I'm not really well versed in run and guns on the platform, but I do enjoy the following shmups:

Domestic
Gradius V - Pretty much a no-brainer. Quite long, too. It should keep you busy for quite a while before you 1CC it :)

R Type Final - People were pretty mixed about it, but I loved it. Slower paced and generally not as good as R Type Delta, but incredibly replayable with tons of ships and alternate routes to explore.

Castle Shikigami 2 - Don't let the budget price or the balls-to-the-wall terrible voice acting scare you away! Far and away superior to Shikigami no Shiro and XS didn't bother chopping out anything this time around (tate mode is in!). Co Op is second to none (on par with Gigawing, Mars Matrix, and Ikaruga imo).

Import
Dodonpachi Daioujou - Ok, fair warning...this game is hard. It's also much more chain-focused than earlier games, which may or may not be a plus for you. IMO it's pretty much the best bullet hell shmup on the system...but your mileage may vary :(

ESPGaluda - In contrast to Dodonpachi Daioujou, this game is actually quite easy. The main challenge lies in exploiting the scoring system. If you're looking for a game that you'll be able to 1cc reasonably quickly, this is your game. On the other hand, arrange mode is actually quite difficult :)

Mushihimesama - I know the port got a lot of flack for some of the more annoying quirks (like the soundtrack reseting when you pause the game), but I had a lot of fun with the game. The variety of difficulty levels offered up radically different game experiences and arrange mode serves as a nice tutorial of sorts :)

Ibara - This one is purely about personal preference. If you like Raizing's games (such as Battle Bakraid, Battle Garega, and Armed Police Batrider), you will dig this game...otherwise you will not. Simple! :)

Psyvariar Complete - It has both Medium Unit and Revision on one disc, woo! Both are reasonably short and neither really look like PS2 games (because they were on PS1-based arcade hardware :( ), but if you're into abusing scoring systems then this collection may fit the bill. Bullet grazing fun + bullet hell + short length = Psyvariar.

I've heard really good things about Homura but I've yet to import it. One of these days.... :(

Oh, and just a warning, but watch out for XII Stag. The game sucks. Hard.

OH! and before I hit post, I figure I may as well pimp The Chikyu Boeigun 1 and 2 (Simple 2000 vol 31 and 81). They're third person over the shoulder run and guns, essentially. You fight swarms of aliens and blow loads of shit up....what's not to love? :) (the framerate can drop quite low, but honestly...who doesn't like a little slow motion to compliment a nuke hitting the side of a building, sending glass and giant alien ant body parts all over the city?)

Vectorman0
10-17-2006, 05:09 AM
Don't forget the Gradius III & IV compilation. It's the shooter I have played most on PS2, though admittedly I don't have any import shooters. Great music, great gameplay, and two on one disc. You can't go wrong.

TurboGenesis
10-17-2006, 07:20 AM
It is hard to recommend any of the Cave games as they are pretty intense-unless you are a seasoned shootie player. Some good titles otherwise would be games like Gradius III&IV, Gradius V and Castle Shikigami 2. Raiden III is also a pretty good game and is scheduled to receive a US release. Psikyo collection 3 is good for Dragon Blaze alone (play Sol Divide for some laughs LOL ). I cant really recommend Giga Wing Generations - It has its fans but is really not very well done IMHO (DC Giga Wings are far superior)

Captain Wrong
10-17-2006, 09:22 AM
Raiden III is also a pretty good game and is scheduled to receive a US release.

Really?

It'd be worth it.

I wonder if we're going to start getting more of these as I've notice Europe is getting XII Stag, Gigawing Generations, Sol Divide and others as budget titles.

I assume the poster is asking about Run n Gun games, but if not, I'd say Castle Shikigami 2 for domestics and Ibara for imports. As always, YMMV.

Austin
10-17-2006, 10:09 AM
I'm part of the R-Type Final fans party. Gradius V is amazing, but I'm nowhere near a skilled enough gamer to play it successfully.

TurboGenesis
10-17-2006, 11:51 AM
Raiden III is also a pretty good game and is scheduled to receive a US release.

Really?

It'd be worth it.

I wonder if we're going to start getting more of these as I've notice Europe is getting XII Stag, Gigawing Generations, Sol Divide and others as budget titles.

I assume the poster is asking about Run n Gun games, but if not, I'd say Castle Shikigami 2 for domestics and Ibara for imports. As always, YMMV.

XS is publishing Raiden III as well as Red Star which is priced at $19.99 and I imagine Raiden III will also be priced accordingly. I think that would be a good price for a pretty reputible franchise.

Raiden III is more traditional in game play for a new title especially when compared to the more manic type of shooties that are more commonplace in this generation. The plane does seem to move slow but any fan of Raiden should find enjoyment in III. of note the green gun is terrible.

For run & gun platform shooters I don't know of many other than Metal Slug 4/5. I beleive there was a Sega Ages Treasure collection released in Japan which would include Gunstar Heroes and Alien Soldier.

Xexyz
10-17-2006, 12:38 PM
Metal Slug Anthology is said to be coming out for the PS2 along with the Wii and PSP versions next month. I don't know how true it is, but it will be worth picking up since it will have every single arcade Slug on it (including 6).

You should check out Neo Contra too. It deviates from the traditional side scrolling run 'n gun formula for an over the head 360 degree movement view, but it's still fast paced action at it's best. Besides, if you were ever a fan of this genre from playing games like Bloddy Wolf, Heavy Barrel, Mercs, etc., then it's right up your alley.

roushimsx
10-17-2006, 09:09 PM
I really didn't get into Raiden III that much and I've been meaning to check out those Psikyo collections :( (Dragon Blaze rocked!). Gradius III and IV...eh... let's just say I almost didn't buy Gradius V because of my negative feelings towards those two titles :(

Also, I agree on Gigawing Generations. While I enjoy the game, it was a mere shadow of the awesomeness of the first two ...neither of which I really enjoyed back when I first played them, but after sitting down with them ~3 years ago and really dumping time into them, I grew to flat out love 'em

Regarding Cave games, I think ESPGaluda and Mushihimesama are good entry-level bullet hell games.

For run & gun platform shooters I don't know of many other than Metal Slug 4/5. I beleive there was a Sega Ages Treasure collection released in Japan which would include Gunstar Heroes and Alien Soldier.

Metal Slug 4 and 5 are rather awful :( Really poor level design and enemy patterns in 4 and while 5 is better in pretty much every way, it's still a rather bland game. It's even worse when you consider how much of a rush job they were in comparison to the port of Metal Slug 3.

The PS2 port of Metal Slug 3 was extremely nice (better than the Neo Geo original by far) but the only US release of it was on Xbox :( Worth picking up on the cheap if you find it used in an import shop, though :)

Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box is pretty much off the hook awesome, especially with the supported video modes, superplays, and all of the other additional content they stuffed into it. At the budget price it was released at, it's a fucking steal. :)

and this is why my wife carefully controls how much I import anymore :(

Richter Belmount
10-18-2006, 04:31 AM
[quote="roushimsx"]Are you just interested in run and guns like Contra or shmups like Gradius V? :)

I'm not really well versed in run and guns on the platform, but I do enjoy the following shmups:

Import
Dodonpachi Daioujou - Ok, fair warning...this game is hard. It's also much more chain-focused than earlier games, which may or may not be a plus for you. IMO it's pretty much the best bullet hell shmup on the system...but your mileage may vary :(

quote]
cool thanks for telling me the name dude ive seen videos of that of crazy shooter everywhere but never knew the name thanks im definaley importing that one. And I like all likes of 2d shot em ups

Richter Belmount
10-18-2006, 04:32 AM
eh.. (misses the edit button)

jajaja
10-18-2006, 04:42 AM
Raiden III is great indeed! :) Got the PAL version myself.

Neo Rasa
10-18-2006, 12:50 PM
Since they'll play on the PS2, get One and Apocalypse if you haven't yet.

Neo Contra is fun cooperatively but very very easy and has very little enemy variety compared to Shattered Soldier (though the bosses are all cool).

Captain Wrong: Is there more than one Sol Divide game? The original got a US release several years ago, it seems odd that it would get chosen now all of a sudden for a European release.

I played the demo of Red Star and it seems like it will be rad. Raiden III is more deliberate than today's shooters but well desigend.

You may want to grab the Sega Classics Collection also for its rad remake of Alien Syndrome.

roushimsx
10-18-2006, 08:11 PM
Since they'll play on the PS2, get One and Apocalypse if you haven't yet.

..and even though One's opening level is terrible, stick with the game. It really picks up once you get to the first boss fight and only gets better as you go through the game. I know too many people who threw in the towel on the first stage :'(