PDA

View Full Version : Wii and IGN, who the heck is writing this stuff?

Niku-Sama
10-18-2006, 03:03 AM
now that this place is up i can copy and past this from another board i wrote it at, it dont rant often but this tuck way out for me for some reason and i HAD to say something, i wrote this origonally here (http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=482219)

alright something stuck way out to me at something at IGN, every time i read something there i see osmething dumb as hell.

i am looking at IGNs Wii "wins and loses"

seccond page, first loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by a douche bag IGN writer
Loss: Decidedly Un-Mainstream $250 Price Tag and Expensive Controllers
For a console that was promised as "small, quiet and affordable," Wii will only debut at $50 less than the basic Xbox 360. But even that price point is deceptive, especially since the system ships with the multiplayer-centric Wii sports, but includes only one Wii remote and nunchuk. Buyers who want to enjoy Wii Sports Tennis for four will need to spend an extra $39.99 per Wii remote. Three Wii-motes will add another $120 to the $250 price tag for a grand total of $370. Don't get us wrong - even with all these accessories the Wii is still cheaper than a stripped PlayStation 3 - but when you tack on the cost of additional Wii-motes, there's simply no way Wii is "mass market friendly," as some Nintendo executives would have us believe.

first off $50 saved is $50 saved with supposedly a pack in sports game pretty basic but you get atleast a game with your Wii, do you get a game with a basic 360? and then theres the controllers. sure you buy 3 more wii controllers and it'll cost $120 but how many people are going to go out and buy 3 more controlers? the rich people thats who, or atleast the ones who are going to take this to parties and such, some one might need on average to buy 1 extra for a sibling or friend that comes over alot. and you know i guess Wii's $40 a controller is more in IGN land to $50 360 controllers, Wii controlers are wireless so whats the big woop?

this is how i see it

1 Wii + 3 Controllers + 1 Good Game = ~$410
I dont know about memory cards for wii or even if theyre gonna use em.

1 Basic 360 + 3 Controllers + 1 Good Game = ~$490

both are +/- a few bucks.

i donno, i had to rant about it nd the Gaming forum i use is down, again.
Consoles is what i do in my spare time, i collect, i range from Pong to PS2 and for some reason (go fig) stuff like this gets on my nerves

MarkMan
10-18-2006, 03:55 AM
The thing I think you're forgetting is the $19.99 price of the Nunchuck part of the controller. The Wii-mote is $39.99 yes. So that means $60 per Wii controller. Now if we do the math over it will look more like this:

Wii
$249.99 - System
$49.99 - Game
$39.99 - Wii-mote
$19.99 - Nunchuck
$39.99 - Wii-mote
$19.99 - Nunchuck
$39.99 - Wii-mote
$19.99 - Nunchuck
Total: $479.92

XBOX360 Core
$299.99 - System
$59.99 - Game
$49.99 - Wireless Controller
Total: $509.95

So the different is only like $30. Which while it's good to save $30, it's pretty much nothing. The Wii will use and support memory cards, but I'm not sure if they will be required as it has 512 MB flash memory.

MarkMan
10-18-2006, 03:57 AM
Forgot to add:

All in all, it will be pricey whatever route you take this next gen. And God bless you to those who are buying all 3 systems(I am one of them).

Daria
10-18-2006, 07:53 AM
So what about people who are playing with friends, but those friends are gamers and likey to bring along their own controllers? I can see at launch having to buy for myself the system and one extra controller (so me and my boyfriend can play together).

On the other hand you never really need four controllers for xbox either, as most multiplayer games are online. Which is the problem I have, there really aren't any games I can play with my boyfriend without having to buy a second 360 altogether. That's where the wii becomes mass market friendly.

GrandAmChandler
10-18-2006, 08:48 AM
The thing I think you're forgetting is the $19.99 price of the Nunchuck part of the controller. The Wii-mote is $39.99 yes. So that means $60 per Wii controller. Now if we do the math over it will look more like this:

But most games don't use the nunchuk attachment. Over time I will be getting more chuks, but for now one will do. Possibly two.

LAGO
10-18-2006, 09:20 AM
One thing posts like this assume is that a person will have to buy four controllers so everybody else can play. Will it really be that big of a socker if *gasp* more than one person has a Wii? That means if that person where to play then they would bring their own remote ... what a concept.

Kejoriv
10-18-2006, 09:21 AM
Does anyone know the launch games that will require the nunchuck attachment?

playgeneration
10-18-2006, 11:31 AM
I dont think there can be any doubt that the Wii could have been cheaper, perhaps quite a lot cheaper. Nintendo are the only ones making a profit off the hardware, while some people go on about how this is a good thing, i dont think it is. Its just more evidence to me that Nintendo doesnt have enough confidence in their own product. They had a chance to change the trend of console pricing, making the console and games cheap from the start, making it immediatly a mass market console, rather than starting expensive and dropping prices as time goes on.

Icarus Moonsight
10-18-2006, 11:38 AM
Look at the Wii Launch thread and you'll find that some of our own feel just as that crap IGN writer does. (*Lookin' hard at Tony1* -Names have been changed to protect the retarded :P ) Niku-Sama, this does need to be discussed and deserves to be without some nutjob gummin' up the exchange. I just hope that said nutjobs don't find us or barring that, this don't just devolve into a "rematch" of poined vs pointless.

I'd like to point out our situation here as a case study. We are currently planning to pick up 2 Wii consoles. Each with an added Wiimote-Nunchuck pair. That's four player possibilities and all I personally have to purchase is the Wii bundle and an extra remote/chuck. Add Twilight Princess and maybe a second game like Trauma Center or Monkey Ball and we are still sitting below a premium 360 and a game and also WAY below a crippled PS3 sans fun (read: game). Plus I'm getting more for my money (2 controllers vs 1 and 3 games vs 1 and none respectively). How is this not a good value? I am totally awestruck and dumbfounded how many people skip logic and go straight to some other BS I can't comprehend to attack the Wii for failing it's affordability promise. Well I call BS on them.

As far as I know, launch games that use the chucker...

For sure...
Call of Duty 3
Far Cry: Vengeance
Zelda: TP
Madden NFL 07
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Rayman: Raving Rabbids (some parts not all)
Red Steel
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz (some parts not all)
Splinter Cell: Double Agent
Trauma Center: Second Opinion
Wii Sports (some parts not all)

For sure not...
Excite Truck
Monster 4x4: World Circut
Need for speed Carbon
Tony Hawk: Downhill Jam

FPS is certain to use the chuck where as racing is as certain not too. I see a pattern. LOL

10-18-2006, 06:07 PM
On the other hand you never really need four controllers for xbox either, as most multiplayer games are online. Which is the problem I have, there really aren't any games I can play with my boyfriend without having to buy a second 360 altogether. That's where the wii becomes mass market friendly.

That is some strange reasoning. You do realize that most multiplayer Xbox and 360 games aren't exclusively online multiplayer? I've played plenty of multiplayer Xbox games with my nephews and surprise! no second Xbox was required. :) Our game time on the 360 has been limited so far, but from what I've played most games that offer some kind of multiplayer do it offline as well.

Daria
10-18-2006, 06:19 PM

That is some strange reasoning. You do realize that most multiplayer Xbox and 360 games aren't exclusively online multiplayer? I've played plenty of multiplayer Xbox games with my nephews and surprise! no second Xbox was required. :) Our game time on the 360 has been limited so far, but from what I've played most games that offer some kind of multiplayer do it offline as well.

Course I doubt you're playing Battle for Middle Earth with your nephews. :P

10-18-2006, 06:38 PM

Course I doubt you're playing Battle for Middle Earth with your nephews. :P

No, I haven't played that one. Since you mention it, I assume the multiplayer is exclusively online? We don't play FFXI on the same 360 either. :P Of course there are going to be some games that are only multiplayer online, but to say that there aren't any Xbox games that you can multiplay without having to buy a second system is absurd. Perhaps there aren't any available that you are interested in (such as the Battle for Middle Earth example), but that's not the same as saying a second 360 is required for multiplay and somehow that's an advantage for Wii pricewise.

ubersaurus
10-18-2006, 06:51 PM
Online does play a part in it. Xbox Live gold is an extra 50 bucks, whereas the Wii's service is free.

But seriously, how many people are going to go buy 4 controllers for whatever system they're getting? I mean, it took me 2 years to get a second controller for my gamecube. If you have friends with the stuff, they generally provide their own controller, so I just don't get it.

Niku-Sama
10-18-2006, 09:44 PM
Forgot to add:

All in all, it will be pricey whatever route you take this next gen. And God bless you to those who are buying all 3 systems(I am one of them).

i'm not buying all 3 right off the bat but i am getting a Wii first, to be honest the controllers the best thing going for this genreation.

granted there was thet nun...thingy i forgot about but still, the whole things wireless and moves your guy to your movement in the game for $40 for that one part is still an awsome deal, the gyratron mice cost more than that and its the techmology the controllers based off of