Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sears Tele-Games Pong system ??s

Okay, I saw this at the store today:

I looked around and there's a ton of model variants to this, and if I researched correctly this white model was released in 1975 and was a top seller for that Christmas. But what's its deal? Is this a superior release or should I expect a problem, maybe below par frames or physics? What relative Pong port might this best resemble? Another thing that's always interest me is how many were created yet so few pop up where I hunt. Any addition info would be helpful.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What's that business there above the left paddle? Mine doesn't have that writing there. Otherwise, yeah, this is just the Sears version of the original Atari C-100 Pong. As far as I know it's exactly identical to the C-100 aside from the white panels and the TELE-GAMES label. It's bog standard Pong with no variants. It does keep score and it has a really cool color system where an object's color changes through the spectrum as it moves horizontally across the screen, this makes for some pretty cool visual effects in my opinion. For a basic game of Pong, it's a great choice.

I don't know why they're not more common. Relative to other pong systems, it is fairly common actually, but pongs are supposed to have sold so phenomenally there for a couple years that I'm surprised you don't see more in the wild. The things are certainly well enough made that they could last 35 years without much trouble.

Does anyone know how many actual units the best selling pongs like this one or the Telstar line actually shipped? It may just be that while they sold very well for 1975, the actual numbers don't compare to the numbers for top-selling systems of the '80s or '90s or today. The level of consumerism has really skyrocketed since the 1970s.

...word is bondage...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sweater Fish Deluxe View Post
    What's that business there above the left paddle? Mine doesn't have that writing there.
    It's actually a white sticker with the item information. I spotted it at a Cash Converters for $8 and it says "accessories included," which suggests the power adaptor is somewhere in the back. This is the same place that's had the Atari 5200 trackball controller listed @ $40 for nearly 8 months now and even after chatting to different managers they don't want to bring that price down! It's not like it's boxed, complete and in the best condition ever.

On a side note though, I didn't pick this Pong system up since I knew very, very little about it and was unsure if it was even worth the few bucks cause I'm pretty strapped for cash ATM.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think every video game collector should have at least one pong machine. I mean, they were the seminal stage in the development of video games. Especially this original Atari/Tele-Games model. I think there were actually one or two home pong systems that came out before this one got to market, but it's still the one that started it all. And I'll be damned if it's not still a totally fun game to this day.

...word is bondage...