Thread: What Am I Doing Wrong? (Garage Sale Related)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What Am I Doing Wrong? (Garage Sale Related)

OK, I find out about garage sales in my area and there's a number listed for the sale. I call up the number and ask if they are going to have video games and/or equipment in the sale.

Usual response is: "Oh sorry, we're not going to/we sold whatever games we had to EB Games and you can try there (idiots)/we have them but they're not for sale."

Should I just not bother calling them up (which maybe what I should have done from the get-go) and just go to the sale and see for myself?

For those who go to garage sales, what do you do to at least find some games? I know multi-families sales are the way to go because if one family doesn't have it, there's bound to be one that does.

EDIT: If the mods wish to move this topic to the appropriate forums, please do so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Your last paragraph pretty much what I was going to answer. Neighborhood garage sales are the way to go. In fact, I'm headded out to one tommorrow morning myself.

With these spring time gas price spikes, it's really hard to justify taking a gamble at a one house sale that might not even have anything. The only time I'd consider stopping at a one house garage sale is if it were on the way to/from another errand I was running.
    Last edited by Xexyz; 04-26-2007 at 10:17 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

This is just my experiences, so YMMV:

If a garage sale even has games, it's usually listed under "misc." or "electronics". Very rarely (once or twice) does the actual listing say "video games for sale". I've also never tried calling a potential garage sale customer, mainly because they usually don't have a phone number listed.

I say, just use descernment. If a sale offers "clothes, antiques, furniture" are probably not going to net anything. Sales that describe "TV's, electronics, misc." are a good bet. But don't give up. I've found an R9 at a garage sale...just gotta keep looking.

As a aside, you should also use the classifieds to your benefit. Not only to get a heads-up for garage sales, but to place an ad of your own. Most papers have a "Wanting To Buy" section. Just place an ad saying that you're looking for old video games (or new, depending on what you're looking for), with a description of what you like. I've done this several times, and even if you have to sift through the "10 common NES games" offer, you can usually get something pretty good before it's all said and done.
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Neighborhood garage sales are the best. A lot of sectional places have these events, right around this time. Easy to spot. Heck I past up a SMB Vs. Cab, simply because the thing is too load back to the house. I was a 1/2 mile away, but it was during a neighborhood garage sale.
    Keep your eyes open, you never know.
    Also my philosophy on buying, make sure if possible to buy stuff to sell as well. That way it''s paid for by someone else. Say you spend 50 bucks on whatever, if a game or a system can sell for 50+, I'd do it. It's a slow process to build your collection, but it's technically a free one, sans your time involved.
    Good luck this weekend!
    I have two basic food groups, fast and frozen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wow thats been my expereince as well - them saying that the games have been sold already or i find one loose copy of a n64 racing game (blah).

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 08:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You just have to go to as many sales as you can. I went to around 30 today and all I got was 12 Nintendo Power Magazines and an Intellivison Plug-N-Play. But, other weeks I'll find dozens of games after just a couple sales.
    I wish I could tell you that you can skip the sales advertising "Baby clothes, furniture, knick-knacks" and just go to the "Electronics, games, etc." sales, but I've had about the same luck with both types. Many times, people don't realize what they have and don't bother advertising it and then sell it for dirt cheap. The ones advertising games either sell it all very quickly or want outrageous prices for them.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for everyone's advice. As noted in April 2007 Finds thread, I found two games at a garage sale.

Now, another question: What's been everyone's experience with church sales? I would figure those would be a goldmine since most people in churches have kids and those kids have a bunch of games they don't mind getting rid of (unless those kids are collectors, then I'm screwed). Would those people then want $20 for a copy of Madden on PSX or no?

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Are you remembering to drive around the block once counterclockwise before going to each sale? That's an important step as well.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GuyinGA View Post
    Thanks for everyone's advice. As noted in April 2007 Finds thread, I found two games at a garage sale.

Now, another question: What's been everyone's experience with church sales? I would figure those would be a goldmine since most people in churches have kids and those kids have a bunch of games they don't mind getting rid of (unless those kids are collectors, then I'm screwed). Would those people then want $20 for a copy of Madden on PSX or no?
    Larger sales like these can be good, but all it takes is one collector working on the sale for the organization and all the good stuff is snatched up before it even starts. Perhaps less likely at a church sale than a HS fundraiser.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's better if they don't know they have videogames when they do.... ya know?

I got a copy of FFVII for 10 bucks recently. If they had known it was a game... they might have looked into its real value!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 09:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GuyinGA View Post

The problem with church sales is that are too well advertised. eBayers flock to them the second they open their doors and buy anything of value. Sometimes you'll get lucky and get something decent, but don't expect much. I'll stop at them if they are close to a garage sale or flea market, but I never go to them if they are out of the way.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ive had some pretty good luck just wandering through neighbors looking for small handmade garage sale signs placed on poles and such which is the best way to get to some sales before the dealers. if i dont see videogames out on the table i ask and more than a few times they remember the nes, atari, etc thats in the basement and i usually get them pretty cheap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    Larger sales like these can be good, but all it takes is one collector working on the sale for the organization and all the good stuff is snatched up before it even starts. Perhaps less likely at a church sale than a HS fundraiser.
    I guess this a polite way of saying always volunteer !

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I try to be very non-militant about it. There is a community flea market that runs Fri-Sun that I usually check out on Saturdays, but other that that, once or twice a month or so I'll put my 5-year old in the car and go for a drive, just stopping at whatever I find.

Sometimes I find something and sometimes I don't (she ALWAYS finds something), but I've made out pretty well. I never find much that is really old, but I'll find $1 N64 and Playstation games all over the place. But I also found a boxed Atari 7800 this way, although I didn't get to buy it because I was late getting somewhere and it was gone when I got back
    It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NES_Rules View Post
    The problem with church sales is that are too well advertised. eBayers flock to them the second they open their doors and buy anything of value. Sometimes you'll get lucky and get something decent, but don't expect much. I'll stop at them if they are close to a garage sale or flea market, but I never go to them if they are out of the way.

problem with church sales and bigger sells where a large group of people are selling together in one place is there usally ends up being one person who buys all the video games before the sell starts..around here the only yard sales I find anything at are unadvertised ones..Im in competion with a couple of people whos sole living is made from ebay so they call all the advertised sells and buy up everything before it starts