Thread: US SNES games on a Japanese Super Famicom?

Insert Coin (Level 0) WSUCougars's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default US SNES games on a Japanese Super Famicom?

I have (I think) an odd question. I currently have a Super Famicom console, but recently acquired a stash of US SNES carts. I don't particularly want to modify either my SFC or the games, and I would rather not add an SNES to my already crowded game room if I can help it. So my question is: Is there a converter that allows US carts to be played on a SFC? I've searched DP, and found a few references to a "Super Magic Converter", which sounds like it MIGHT be what I'm looking for. Does anyone know if this particular piece of hardware will fit the bill? Thanks in advance for any help!

Banana (Level 7) snes_collector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If there was any Game Genies released for SF you *might* be able to use one of those.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

All you need is a bridge adapter, the security chips are the same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Exactly. I was thinking the same thing. I'm just curious if anyone knows of (or has used) an actual pass-through device for a SFC. I've seen a few referenced, but can't determine if they're only used for playing SFC games on a US SNES. The Game Genie idea occurred to me as well - was something similar released in Japan?

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Anything you can plug into the slot fine should work... though for any DSP chip games you'll need an adapter that handles the wider circuit boards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you have the proper screwdriver bit, you can take the PCB out of the cart casing and just plug it in that way.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_G View Post
    If you have the proper screwdriver bit, you can take the PCB out of the cart casing and just plug it in that way.
    thats a good idea except most snes/sfc PCB's are incredibly tiny and would be a huge hassel getting out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When Street Fighter II was first released for SFC, I imported it with an adapter that would allow the SFC cart to connect to my SNES. In addition to having the slotted corners like a SNES cart, the adapter was the same shape as the SFC cart, so I'm assuming it would also allow SNES games to be played on a SFC.
    I've long since parted with that adapter, but I think the design is pretty common, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Just get a SNES..Cut the tabs in the System, Replace the SFC with the Modded SNES there you go...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    Just get a SNES..Cut the tabs in the System, Replace the SFC with the Modded SNES there you go...
    Quote Originally Posted by WSUCougars View Post
    I don't particularly want to modify either my SFC or the games, and I would rather not add an SNES to my already crowded game room if I can help it.
    ...I'd assume that since he doesn't want to mod the SFC, he doesn't want to get rid of it either.

...anyway. I had a passthrough adapter for my N64 a long, long time ago that would fit in either a US or a Japanese system and simply extended the cart slot upwards, allowing any cart to simply plug in. I'd bet my lunch money that something identical exists for the SNES.

Oddly enough, the N64 GameShark wouldn't let you use cheat codes on Japanese games. Dunno what was up with that...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    When Street Fighter II was first released for SFC, I imported it with an adapter that would allow the SFC cart to connect to my SNES. In addition to having the slotted corners like a SNES cart, the adapter was the same shape as the SFC cart, so I'm assuming it would also allow SNES games to be played on a SFC.
    I've long since parted with that adapter, but I think the design is pretty common, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding one.
    Yes, this is exactly the sort of converter I'm looking for. I did a quick search on the web, and it looks like the Honeybee "Super Magic Converter" (or something like that) is quite similar to the one you described - SFC shaped base.

Quote Originally Posted by djsquarewave View Post
    ...I'd assume that since he doesn't want to mod the SFC, he doesn't want to get rid of it either.
    Right you are. The SFC has served me just fine in lieu of a SNES. The only reason I'm even going to the trouble of plugging a US cart into it is that I recently scored $3 copies of Chrono Trigger and Breath of Fire (SNES), and don't particularly want to clutter up the house with yet another system just to play those two (not to mention my wife wouldn't let another console in the house). Thanks again to all who replied!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you have a game copier like the supercom that might work, but a honey bee style would be nice.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

AFAIK, Datel's Action Replay series will fit both region systems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It sounds to me like money is an issue here. If the SFC is pristine and he doesn't want to mod it, then I'd say just get a cheap SNES, and you're good to go.

But that's just me, the guy who refuses to mod his N64s or even use his Sharp Twin... :P

Edit: Also, I wonder if a Game Genie taken out of its casing wouldn't work as a Bridge. I currently use a Game Genie outside its casing as a bridge so I can play Contra Spirits on my SNES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If you want to play Starfox or the other FX games no it won't work..RMX2 & RMX3 will work

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oddly enough, the N64 GameShark wouldn't let you use cheat codes on Japanese games. Dunno what was up with that...
    Are you sure? I think you just need to use codes that are specific to the version of the game you're playing, IOW, codes intended for the SNES version of a game won't necessarily work for the SFC version and vice versa.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Are you sure? I think you just need to use codes that are specific to the version of the game you're playing, IOW, codes intended for the SNES version of a game won't necessarily work for the SFC version and vice versa.
    It specifically said in the manual that you couldn't. I tried using some codes with the Japanese version of Mario Golf (and this was before the US release of the game so they were specifically for the Japanese version -- odd how that works) and it was a no go.

Dunno how the thing could even tell, though. =|