Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever opened a sealed "classic" game, just to see what was inside?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SouthRox
    Steam
    SouthRox

Default Ever opened a sealed "classic" game, just to see what was inside?

I have, on two different occasions. Once back in college, I had picked up a sealed NES "Bible Adventures" on eBay for fairly cheap (10 bucks shipped). When I got the game I thoroughly inspected it (it was one of my first "sealed" purchases) just to see if I could find evidence of a reseal. I instantly noticed that the wrap was somewhat "baggy" and unusually thin, as compared to other factory NES seals. Of course the horizontal line wasn't present (Color Dreams) and thought maybe the thin cellophane was just another characteristic of the way Color Dreams sealed their games. I started looking a little closer for anything else that would give it away. A HA! There it was, what looked like a tiny tiny speck of paint on the box. That was enough to tip me off, so I decided to go ahead and tear into it. I figured for 10 bucks, what the hell. Well I was surprised to find the contents were in fact the "Bible Adventures" cart along with all its original pack in materials + Color Dreams dust jacket. Everything on the inside of the box looked 100% brand new, untouched by human hands. I was somewhat expecting it to be a SMB/DH cart, not that "Bible Adventures" is a "sweet find" by any stretch of the imagination.

Another time it was a Genny Madden Championship Edition, which was supposedly "factory sealed". I questioned it from the get go, since I didn't even know if true factory sealed Madden CE's existed or not. The price I paid for it was about the same as I would have paid for a nice complete version, unsealed. Of course curiousity got the best of me, so I opened it up, and low and behold, a 100% minty Madden CE cart + manual.

Those are boring examples, I know. But what I want to know is if anyone else has done this? And if so, did you find what you were actually supposed to find, or something totally unexpected?

PSN: SouthRox

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Was Bible Adventures a licensed game? If not then maybe that was really how it was supposed to be sealed. Also, I talked to someone here that had two sealed Madden Championship Editions, not sure if it was true.

I read an old post here a month ago where a guy said (at that time) when he buys SNES games he only buys the sealed ones on ebay, opens them, then throws away the boxes. I'm hoping that was a joke topic.

I would never open a sealed classic game.
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 08:06 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought a sealed copy of super mario world, kept it on a shelf for a while. Decided to open it one day to find out it was an ex blockbuster rental (stickers on the cart, no manual).

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've opened several classic games that were factory sealed.

I bought copies of Facemaker and Beamrider for the Colecovision that were factory sealed and I popped them open because I was interested in the materials and in trying the cart out.

I also got factory sealed copies of K-Razy Kritters and ET Phone Home! for the Atari 400/800/XE and opened them up out of curiosity. I didn't even own a system to use them on at the time.

I opened a factory sealed copy of Atari 2600 Klax I bought off ebay from England, just to see if it would work on my system.

Then again, I've left others sealed. I've still got vintage sealed copies of Joust, Pete Rose Baseball and Battlezone for the 2600, couple of NES Games, and some other stuff.

I guess I just open the stuff if I'm bored.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I found a sealed Missile Command for Atari 2600 at the Goodwill. Dunno if it's reseal or not, theres a gap in the plastic on the back so I might as well open it. It's not like Missile Command is worth big 2k monies or anything

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Good, then I won't get beaten up this time. I too open my sealed games. I like buying them sealed, as I like for my games to be in as good a condition as possible. But I also like playing them occasionally.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Default Ever opened a sealed "classic" game, just to see what was inside?

Yes,.....Sealed Bath Bubble Babes-NES..I just had to be sure the actual game was in the case before selling it..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

I've opened a sealed Vegas Stakes and Lost Vikings 2 for SNES... got them for $15 shipped. It was nice to smell a game so old, yet still smelled brand new

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I needed a Justifier after getting a copy of Snatcher, and the only one I could find the day I got Snatcher was in a sealed copy of Lethal Enforcers, which was $25 or $30. Needless to say, I bought it and opened it immediately (and don't regret it, either; it seems like an inordinate amount of Justifiers I come by don't work anymore).

Quote Originally Posted by Nesmaster View Post
    I've opened a sealed Vegas Stakes and Lost Vikings 2 for SNES... got them for $15 shipped. It was nice to smell a game so old, yet still smelled brand new
    Did you buy those from me?
    Feedback thread here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea really, there is no point in having sealed games from a players standpoint, but if you are a collector and want a great game sealed that is just going to increase in value, then it is a good investment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    if you are a collector and want a great game sealed that is just going to increase in value, then it is a good investment.
    Games are never a good investment.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've opened up a few sealed games. I recently bought a sealed copy of Startropics and opened it up. I bought it sealed just so I could be guaranteed it would have the letter attached to the manual.

I've opened some other sealed NES games as well. It's the best way of knowing what posters, etc are supposed to be in it.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a sealed copy of Norton Utilities, circa 1994 (windows 3.1).

Think that's worth anything?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    PentiumMMX

I have 2 unopened Intelevision games (Burgertime and Lock & Chase. Even has ancient K-Mart stickers) with my system and other opened games.

Since Intelevision games are cheap at Game-X-Change, I'm holding out for opened copies to actualy play with.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've opened up a sealed Moon Ranger, Menace Beach, and about 3 sealed Baby Boomers.
    NintendoAGE - The best NES database engine available on the net!

My Collection - Well, kinda. One of these days I will actually get a pic of the whole collection and post it on there. Until then, I only have a few games in there with some additional collection info stuff.

Insert Coin (Level 0) dougman999's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been picking up sealed N64 games off of ebay and opening them to play. It seems that sometimes sealed games are cheaper than complete opened copies (I got a sealed 007: The World is Not Enough for .99 + $5 shipping, whereas complete opened copies were going for around $10-12 + ship).

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 09:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I have a sealed copy of Sim City 300 that I got at Wal-Mart for $1. Needless to say, it was the best purchase ever.

For those of you who are interested, the starting price is $50!

I got a sealed copy of Alundra 2 off of e-bay and gracefully tore it open, I later found out it would've been best kept sealed.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Sure, but I don't intentionally seek out sealed games. I found a sealed Marsupilami at a Salvation Army last summer, but since it isn't worth squat sealed or otherwise, I opened it. Also bought a sealed Killer Instinct for SNES on eBay a few years back because they were dirt cheap and not really any more expensive than a loose cart. I've bought several sealed Neo Geo Pocket Color games because it's fairly hard to find complete US games anyway, so when they do show up, they're often sealed. There isn't much of a price difference between open and sealed anyway.

If I ever found a sealed game I wanted that was actually worth something, I'd just sell it and buy a used copy. I'm not going to waste money by opening a valuable sealed game since I'd be just as happy with a mint used game ready to be played and enjoyed.