Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Games you have trouble finding in good condition?

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Games you have trouble finding in good condition?

I haven't seen this exact thread done before, unless I was using the wrong key words.

This would pertain primarily towards disc-based games that you buy used, though cartridge games can be listed. I'll start with my example.

Since finally acquring a PS2 in February with my tax return, I've spent some of my time acquiring a few of my favorites from my Gamecube and XBox libraries. See, if the games are cheap enough, then I'm open to buying them for more than one system. Here it is, around two and a half months later and I'm still looking for good condition copies of NBA 2K2 and NFL 2K2. The problem isn't finding them, nor is it the price. Those two PS2 games are everywhere and always for $1-3. I've come across at least 6 copies of NFL 2K2 and at least 7 copies of NBA 2K2. The trouble is finding discs of those games that aren't all beat up and I've tried close to a dozen places around here that would sell PS2 games. Seeing that shipping would cost more than the games if I bought them online, I prefer to find them locally. As of now, I've had terrible luck and it baffles me given that those two are pretty common games and in low demand.

Here lies the question I'm asking with the thread.

What games do you have a great deal of difficulty finding in good, working condition?

Just a few very loose ground rules:

1. Games that people can actually find from time to time, not really looking for the R7's (or higher) of the world. It can be a pretty common title, like the two I talked about above. It's just a matter of whether or not you can actually find a copy that is in good condition. For example, someone might write "I've found Twisted Metal II on PS1 in a pawn shop or thrift store 5 or 6 times in the past year and it is always damaged or scratched up."

2. I'm not really basing this on the condition of the case or the manual, or if the manual is even there. It also doesn't matter if the box is intact, if you're talking about cart games. I'm primarily speaking of the actual GAME itself. A disc game you find from time to time that is ALWAYS scratched up when you see it or maybe a cartridge game that never loads, no matter how often you find it. Perhaps you look for a specific game but can never find a copy with a working save battery, such as an RPG or sports title. (I have the same problem with NHL 95 on the Genesis, I've went through 8 copies in the past 12 months and none of them saved).

Obviously, it is more useful if you have failed to find said game at least 2-3 times on account of the issues mentioned above or if you have been trying to find it for the past several months (or few) and keep on coming up empty. Then again, it could be a game you already own but keep on finding out in the wild in bad shape, whether or not you intended to get it again.

So what games in your area have been suffering the most abuse from their former owners? Any era of gaming is suitable though I'm most interested in hearing of the disc-based games myself.
    Last edited by bangtango; 05-01-2007 at 09:51 PM.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Doesn't *quite* meet your criteria, because they always have worked, but a gold Zelda (I or II) cart for the NES can be pretty dang hard to get a hold of. I've had many copies pass through my hands, and finally have one that is very good, but even it has a little bit of the gold worn off.

Dunno, just the first thing that came to mind as I was reading your post.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sonic adventure limited edition, I bet a mint copy doesnt exist

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It took me forever to find a clean copy of Fatal Frame for the PS2 in the wild.

Strawberry (Level 2) bust3dstr8's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Finding good condition HuCards is tough. Even if the top looks great, the bottom is often very scuffed up. It's just the way the PC-Engine is designed I guess, if people don't clean the card slot off its worse. The dirt seems to get
    ground real deep into the card.
    Clowns Suck

Clowns Suck

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Somehow, in like 15 years of active searching, I have never found a decent looking copy of Super Mario Bros 2. I kid you not.

Casual Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shotmastarich
    PSN
    Radiantsvgun

Megaman X3
    Crusader of Centy
    Capcom Vs Snk 2 gamecube
    Ninja Gaiden Trilogy
    Lunar 2 psx
    Dracula X snes
    Splatterhouse 2
    Elemental Master
    contra nes box
    contra force
    Final fight guy
    Mighty final fight
    Kickle cubicle
    Axelay
    Last edited by RadiantSvgun; 05-01-2007 at 10:37 PM.
    www.famicomshop.com -best place for famicom stuff. Run by a DP member.
    Radiant's Ongoing Ebay Auctions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was having some trouble with Rumble Racing (PS2), but I finally manged to find one in good shape at an EB a while back. Same thing with Driver 2 (PSX) until I got a copy at GameCrazy about a week and a half ago.

The games that come to mind right now are:

Rayman 3 (Gamecube)
    Road & Track Presents The Need For Speed (PSX)
    Kings of the Beach (NES)
    Road Rash 3 (Genesis)

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never owned a Gamecube but bought a Wii on launch day, so I've been trying to catch up on all of thr Cube games I've wanted all this time but have never bought. It's a shame that new GC games are hard to come by these days, because as a system, I've never seen more consistently shitty looking used games.

A rough estimate would be that half of the used PS2 and X-Box games I come into are in good enough shape (for me, anyway), and maybe 1/3 of PS1 games, but it really seems like only about 1/10 of the used Gamecube games I look at are in acceptable shape. Is it because the discs are small? Or because it is generally perceived as a system for kids, and kids are harder on their discs? I don't know.
    Feedback thread here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess that obi completeness counts for this topic... there are some games that are really hard to find compete with obi:

Kitchen Panic (PS): I've never seen a complete copy for sale/auction. I searched for a while trying to find one, but I found a great deal on an incomplete copy and went for it. Great game BTW!

Ningyo no Rakuin (PS): Another uncommon/semi-rare game that I've had trouble finding with the obi intact. It's easier to find sealed than Kitchen Panic, though.

Those are the only examples I can think of offhand.

If I had a Jynx think of the things we can do together. She also kisses alot.
    Not to mention her breast plates is obviously hiding something nice
    The of Jynx as a XXX doll pokemon. -Rugal Sizzler

┏┫∵┣┛My Collection┏┫∵┣┛

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I can think of a recent example where i've had that problem.

Duckhunt for... the famicom i don't know why it's hard to come by for it.

While the, NES version is common i had to struggle just to get a copy of it cib.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goemon View Post
    Kitchen Panic (PS): I've never seen a complete copy for sale/auction. I searched for a while trying to find one, but I found a great deal on an incomplete copy and went for it. Great game BTW!
    The only copy of this I've ever actually seen had the spine. And you know that one's mine now. 'course, this was off the shelf at a Chemeleon Club in Tokyo, so...yeah.

I had a bit of trouble findind a copy of Chronicles of Riddick (Xbox) in good condition. Bought a copy from the Gamestop here, took it home and it refused to load into the game. Disc was scratched to hell. Took it back to exchange it, and the guy took another out of the drawer and looke at it, and said "Wow, this one looks even worse." Looked at three or four more copies before he found an acceptable one.

Though at least I didn't have to drive to the next town to even find another copy to try like I did with Mercenaries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Muscelli View Post
    sonic adventure limited edition, I bet a mint copy doesnt exist
    it sure does exists ! I have one i bought directly from a sega employer it was sealed but one night he decided to open it to play it GRRR but its still MINT . to be honest i dont think they were ever sealed why would an exclusive game be sealed ?? . but I might be wrong .. that Night i bought many sealed dc games from him and 3 brand new dc systems too ! plus am sure some collectors has mint sonic adventure limited edition in their hands...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Couple games that come to mind are Zelda and the Adventure of Link gold carts for NES, Ive seem more of them missing gold than I have non gold ones. Another game would be Frogger for 2600, whenever I find one it always has a dirty/damaged label, or the stupid hole worn open on the middle of the label.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Plaque Attack
    Frostbite
    Crackpots

Every 2600 Parker Bros. game.
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    PentiumMMX

A few of mine:

Pokemon Crystal (GBC): It took me years to find a copy with a working save battery (I asked for it for Christmas 2001, and didn't get it until Faburary 2007)

Crash Team Racing (PSX): Every copy I fond is always beaten to hell and my PlayStation rejects it.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Just about every NES Capcom game I see in the wild has been through what I dub 'excessive appreciation.' The chance of this phenomenon doubles if it's a disney license. Some of the most common games on the planet and they all look like they've been through a wood chipper.

Getting mint copies of NES Megaman games, online or off is also next to impossible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rental only games (Flintstones 2, Final Fight Guy, Clayfighter: Sculpters Cut Etc.) can be very difficult to find in good shape. Often these games have label damage from having stickers on them or just generally beat up because people who rent the games don't take very good care of them.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrandAmChandler View Post

Every 2600 Parker Bros. game.
    Later releases like Super Cobra and Popeye seem to be subject to peeling labels. Earlier games like Frogger and ESB are usually okay though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice View Post
    Later releases like Super Cobra and Popeye seem to be subject to peeling labels. Earlier games like Frogger and ESB are usually okay though.
    Frogger has given me problems. I find the no label parker bros case several times and think, maybe I'll get lucky and find a proto from this! You never know
    Nope, just Frogger. Wasted .50
    I have two basic food groups, fast and frozen.