Thread: xbox import region modding

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default xbox import region modding

Hey, some of you might have seen my post over in modern gaming where I mentioned finding a modded Xbox at a Gamestop, that I wanted to use for playing imports. Figuring that the setting in the menus that changes the system region would actually, you know, change the region, I bought some games to use this functionality with.

Guess it's my own fault for trusting bootleggy software, as of course it acts as a US system no matter what I set the toggle to.

The weird thing is that the system has the EvolutionX dashboard on it, which from what I can gather through googling, can only be run on a modchipped system. The thing is, the system looks very much like it's never been opened (all the stickers are intact, and the rubber feet don't seem to have ever been removed), so there's clearly no actual chip in the thing. This means I don't have a chip to flash new BIOS to, which would presumably add this functionality.

Since most mod forums seem to deal with things like copying games or media center type things (which I don't care about), I figured I'd ask here if there's something obvious I'm missing, or if there's any way of changing the region on my system besides this. I'm not completely opposed to just buying an actual chip and installing it...I mean, I've already spent probably more than their current value on games...but I'd rather not muck around with the hardware if I don't have to.

So if anyone can tell me what I need, or where I should be asking this if not here, please...I need help!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It might be a softmodded unit. What does it do when you turn it on with the tray out?

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

If your real bios chip is screwed, putting in a modchip would bypass the flashed chip and you could load on a real dashboard. There are lots of places willing to do these kinds of mods, you just have to be willing to shell out the cash or if you're daring enough, do it yourself.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

im pretty sure either i or someone else already told you that its a softmod unit, and that you cant run imports on it... only backups.

you have to mod it for real if you wanna run imports.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    im pretty sure either i or someone else already told you that its a softmod unit, and that you cant run imports on it... only backups.

you have to mod it for real if you wanna run imports.
    It's clearly a softmod unit, considering the warranty stickers are intact, but nobody in that thread told me it wouldn't play imports. I specifically said that's what I wanted to do, and the responses were basically "yeah good times".

That said, I'm not at all opposed to opening the thing up and installing a 30-wire chip, if need be. I'm just completely confused at how I have EvoX on there when everything I've read online says you can't use it without a chip.

Anyone got any links to places where I could read more about this, preferably stuff that doesn't feel like it was written by a fifth grader? Maybe a link to a reputable place to buy a chip? At this point I just want to play my games...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, this saga has come to an unfortunate end. For whatever reason, even the modchip I got wouldn't let me change the region on my system, even though I tried several dozen different things and messed around with it for six hours straight.

I decided to try the chip in my friend's system to see if it was just the dashboard loaded on there that was mucking it up. But when putting it in I plugged it in wrong and fried the chip. Thankfully his system was fine.

Unfortunately, this happened while I was in the middle of trying to put the original Microsoft dashboard back on my system. I hadn't gotten it working but was using the chip to boot around that. So now I have a system that won't boot anything at all, and a dozen games I can't play! Fortunately, I had already backed up my saves...but I have no way of loading them to another system to actually use them.

The lesson: Getting a softmodded Xbox from a Gamestop is not a good thing.

Anyone here want the thing? The actual hardware is still fine, and if you've got a chip it'll still boot into Evox and you could reformat it from there. I just don't want to mess with it any more...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by djsquarewave View Post
    Well, this saga has come to an unfortunate end. For whatever reason, even the modchip I got wouldn't let me change the region on my system, even though I tried several dozen different things and messed around with it for six hours straight.

I decided to try the chip in my friend's system to see if it was just the dashboard loaded on there that was mucking it up. But when putting it in I plugged it in wrong and fried the chip. Thankfully his system was fine.

Unfortunately, this happened while I was in the middle of trying to put the original Microsoft dashboard back on my system. I hadn't gotten it working but was using the chip to boot around that. So now I have a system that won't boot anything at all, and a dozen games I can't play! Fortunately, I had already backed up my saves...but I have no way of loading them to another system to actually use them.

The lesson: Getting a softmodded Xbox from a Gamestop is not a good thing.

Anyone here want the thing? The actual hardware is still fine, and if you've got a chip it'll still boot into Evox and you could reformat it from there. I just don't want to mess with it any more...
    I'll take it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XxHennersXx View Post
    I'll take it.
    PM sent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I run EvoX on my softmodded XBox; have since the beginning. Yours might need to be redone, but it definitely sounds softmodded. And yes, you CAN play imports on a softmodded unit. It effectively becomes region free. Having to fuss with BoXplorer is a pain, but it a softmodded unit is a relatively safe and cheap option. You CAN brick your 'Box though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by klausien View Post
    I run EvoX on my softmodded XBox; have since the beginning. Yours might need to be redone, but it definitely sounds softmodded. And yes, you CAN play imports on a softmodded unit. It effectively becomes region free. Having to fuss with BoXplorer is a pain, but it a softmodded unit is a relatively safe and cheap option. You CAN brick your 'Box though.
    1. I couldn't get it to play imports with either the original softmod or a hardmod.
    2. I don't know what Boxplorer is, but I was using Configmagic to edit the EEPROM and changed the region and video settings, which still wouldn't do it (though I was able to set the system to PAL, but any region number still acted as a US system)
    3. I already bricked it. The original MS dash was completely gone when I got it, and trying to reinstall it made Evox only boot with the chip installed...and then I fried the chip.

I'll probably try again in a few months once the stack of games I now have starting at me taunts me enough. I seriously did screw around with every setting and piece of software I could find that looked even remotely related and had absolutely no luck. Asked on some forums, no responses, looked for instructions and all I found was things saying it happens automagically when you put the chip in. Apparently some people like to use these features for piracy as well!