Thread: Original Nintendo Gameboy Screen Problem

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Original Nintendo Gameboy Screen Problem

I picked up a Gameboy at a garage sale over the weekend for 5 bucks in very clean condition with a tetris game in it.

I played it to make sure it worked and it did so I ponied up the 5 spot and was happy.

when I took it out later to play it, I realized that the two sides of the screen aren't displaying. Its like the 10% of screen on the left and 10% of the screen all the way on the right aren't displaying anything. I didn't realize it when I was playing tetris because you don't need the sides of the screen, but when I put other gameboy games in the gameboy when I got home I realized it.

All of the carts I tested are working perfectly in my gba and gb color so I know its not a cart issue.

Any suggestions?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Commen problem

Yeh like in any lcd screen the cells in the screen eventually die.This happend to my gameboy aswell. There isn't much you can do to fix it. You have to replace the screen. The screen is a Reflective LCD 160 x 144 pixels. Good luck

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

you get what you pay for. if you care that much about it, find a beat to shit gameboy that works great and replace the innards. personally i dont see any reason to own an original gameboy other than to complete a collection or whatnot, let alone actually play it.

thats a very very very common gameboy brick problem, i have about 2 or 3 with dead screens like that for a project i was working on that never went off the ground, mightve thrown them out already.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sav127 View Post
    I picked up a Gameboy at a garage sale over the weekend for 5 bucks in very clean condition with a tetris game in it.

I played it to make sure it worked and it did so I ponied up the 5 spot and was happy.

when I took it out later to play it, I realized that the two sides of the screen aren't displaying. Its like the 10% of screen on the left and 10% of the screen all the way on the right aren't displaying anything. I didn't realize it when I was playing tetris because you don't need the sides of the screen, but when I put other gameboy games in the gameboy when I got home I realized it.

All of the carts I tested are working perfectly in my gba and gb color so I know its not a cart issue.

Any suggestions?
    Where are you from? US? UK?

I have replacement UK mainboards with screens atatched, but yeh unless you have a particular reason like collecting, them prob not worth it.

DJH