Thread: Should I get River City Ransom EX?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Should I get River City Ransom EX?

The original RCR is one of my favourite games. I was pretty excited when the remake was announced, but it never reached Europe. Now, I have the chance to get the game, but not at a cheap price (it costs about the same as a new NDS game). Is the game worth it?

I don´t want to import it or wait for another copy to show up because I´ve never seen one in 3 years, I´m only asking if the game is worth it for a long time fan of the original (just before someone points that out XD)
    Step Back! This is my blast shot!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

RCR is my all time NES game, so take it as you will.

When I bought a DS (haven't had a GB since the original) first thing I bought was RCR EX (and Nintendogs... but that was for the wife).

Popped it in, loved it. New moves, new weapons, what's not to love.

However, I passed it a mere one time and then it gathered dust until I eBayed it.

I believe there a lot of unlockables and stuff, so the game should have great replay value, but it just didn't for me.

I don't know... it just wasn't the original and I couldn't get into it as much as expected.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its a great game indeed. Got 2 copies myself

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I remember when I got the original back in the early 90s. I remember it as a pretty long game, with a reasonable high difficulty curve.

However, I didn't play it again until I beat the EX game some time last year or the year before. I found the game extremely easy and I beat it in less than an hour and without dying. Some bosses took a million hit to kill because I wasn't leveled up much, so I thought it odd I could just button mash my way through them. I remember the original being a hell of a lot harder.

Is it just me, or is the original far superior in every way except save feature and graphics?

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick View Post
    Is it just me, or is the original far superior in every way except save feature and graphics?

-Rob
    I've never played EX but everyone I talk to says the original is "better." The NES version is one of my favorite games of all time and I remember buying it brand new the same year it came out. For the EX version, I would imagine they toned down some of the subtle things that were funny in the original game anyway. I'd have preferred being able to unlock the NES version after beating the EX one, that'd have made more sense. Not like the GBA couldn't have "handled" it.

Still, if you're looking for a good side scrolling beat-em up, there is no point in passing on it. You can only play Double Dragon Advance or Final Fight One so many times.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

what makes ex soo much better is, you can play it EXACTLY the way you played the original OR you can do a ton of extra stuff, you have a reputation meter, and depending on your rep you can get other people to join your team and have up to 3 computer controlled charecters, there are A TON of extra chareecters including ALL the zombies (they are are hard to get) even a female charecter, you can unlock a ton of whacky and fun items once you beat the game ,including one that lets you change how your charecter looks (my demonic pink alex rules) really if you enjoyed the original it is a must buy, its a great game that you can just pick up and play for a few minutes or a few hours (yay for battery backup no more long shitty passwords)

what are you waiting for? GO GET IT NOW

RIGHT NOW

GO!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you're still looking for a copy, I've got a complete one in excellent shape that I was going to put up on Ebay this weekend. $15 + ship and it's yours.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PaleSonicakuma

good game til my stepdad lost it
    read sonic doom everyday on my myspace profile

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa View Post
    If you're still looking for a copy, I've got a complete one in excellent shape that I was going to put up on Ebay this weekend. $15 + ship and it's yours.
    Thanks, but I think the shipping to Europe would exceed the price of the copy I´ve found :-)

I think I´ll get it. I still like to play the original, and the possibility of changing gravity, and such is great, and adds a lot of replay value (well,I think it will). Thanks for your answers.
    Step Back! This is my blast shot!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

So GBA games should be in the "classic" forum now?
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzwing256 View Post
    what makes ex soo much better is, you can play it EXACTLY the way you played the original OR you can do a ton of extra stuff, you have a reputation meter, and depending on your rep you can get other people to join your team and have up to 3 computer controlled charecters, there are A TON of extra chareecters including ALL the zombies (they are are hard to get) even a female charecter, you can unlock a ton of whacky and fun items once you beat the game ,including one that lets you change how your charecter looks (my demonic pink alex rules) really if you enjoyed the original it is a must buy, its a great game that you can just pick up and play for a few minutes or a few hours (yay for battery backup no more long shitty passwords)

what are you waiting for? GO GET IT NOW

RIGHT NOW

GO!
    Wow, I didn't know about all that stuff! Very cool.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The thing is the game follows the orginal game but it is not the original game. There is too much things in the game that comes from the past series or later series that does not mix with the over all gameplay or world.

The is the equal to getting th PSX Chrono Trigger. It has animated scenes but the gameplay will not feel or look the same.

I love the orginalism of the whole series. It gives you a short cut slice of how Downtown Japan was in the late 1970's to early 1990's and the game itself has so much background and diversity. It reminds me of how I grewed up a bit but I was never a person anybody depended upon I never started or got into any fights ( I wish I did though ) .

I mean to be honest the Double Dragon series was just an inch of what this series was. I mean how many times is so an so girlfreind is going to be captured and why I am negotiating with witches in ware house and street corner....then again that is double dragon.

I miss it so much. The problem with me is that I like orginalism over enhancements. So to be honest I would just stick with the orginal game.
    Only play this game if you played the original to it's full extent.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damon Plus View Post
    Thanks, but I think the shipping to Europe would exceed the price of the copy I´ve found :-)

I think I´ll get it. I still like to play the original, and the possibility of changing gravity, and such is great, and adds a lot of replay value (well,I think it will). Thanks for your answers.
    If the copy you found cost as much as a DS in Europe it would be like 40-60 dollars. So $15 + shipping (about $10) will be much cheaper

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    So GBA games should be in the "classic" forum now?
    Of course! Where have you been? Though I'm sure he posted in Classic to get feedback from those that played the NES game and might have played the GBA version.

But hell, IMO if it's worth the price to you get it. If you're a huge fan of the NES one I don't see why not. Games I loved on older systems I end up buying them on any platform I can find (even when I don't own the system )!
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick View Post
    I remember when I got the original back in the early 90s. I remember it as a pretty long game, with a reasonable high difficulty curve.

However, I didn't play it again until I beat the EX game some time last year or the year before. I found the game extremely easy and I beat it in less than an hour and without dying. Some bosses took a million hit to kill because I wasn't leveled up much, so I thought it odd I could just button mash my way through them. I remember the original being a hell of a lot harder.

-Rob
    I bought it recently for the NES to play it again and beat it within a couple of hours, but that was on the easier level. The harder level was too much for me, I couldn't make enough money to level up without getting killed.

I don't know what level I played it on as a kid but I also remember it being more difficult and more involved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

Didn't see it added in here but something to know is that EX doesn't have a 2-player mode. That's the biggest letdown on the remake. So it's definately worth having both versions around.
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook