Thread: Real-Time Strategy RTS Help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Real-Time Strategy RTS Help

Looking for advice from some veteran RTS gamers because I'm ashamed to say that I've never beat an RTS before.

The problem I have isn't beating a map and while I don't like how long it usually takes to do so(3+ hours) that isn't the problem either. The problem that I come into that turns me away from completing every RTS game i've ever played is knowing for a fact that on the next map I will lose at least twice and waste a couple hours in doing so.
    The reason I always lose the first couple times is because the map is always blacked out so I don't know who the enemy is, where the enemy is, where the resources are and sometimes I don't even know who I am either because the game continuously forces you to use different factions so coming up with a strategy to win under these conditions the first time is all but impossible.
    So I always come to a point in an RTS where I beat a map, look at the monotonous exploring bullcrap I'll have to go through again on the next map for the 100th time and I just say fuck that and quit.

I would really love to finally beat games like Starcraft and Age of Empires so any advice that you guys can give me will be very much appreciated.

If you've completed more than half of the games listed below, then I want to hear from you in particular.

Company of Heroes
    Command and Conquer
    Warcraft
    Starcraft
    Rise of Nations
    Age of Empires/Mythology
    Rome: Total War
    Myth
    Homeworld
    Total Annihilation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Trial and error is an essential part of RTS games. Of course, most of those games have strategy guides that contain maps of the various stages of a particular campaign.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Having played all of those titles, and beaten most of them, I can say that every game has a strategy that works for most of the game. Whether it is the zerg rush in starcraft, to the getting to the second age as fast as possible (AoE). My advice would be to find what is really useful and stick to that. For the most part it will help to all but the last few levels, where that plus some top tier will usually win the match.
    Quote Originally Posted by Griking
    It's almost like a soap opera where you think that everyone cares about how Kevin's adventures on eBayland goes from day to day.

There's a place for semi-regular posts like your's Kevin, it's called a diary or a blog.