Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why the hell are the classic nes games on GBA so much money?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Why the hell are the classic nes games on GBA so much money?

Holy friggin crap. For a pile of games that hit clearance in every store around here the prices they now fetch are getting insane. 50-75 dollars for super mario bros? Are you kidding me? Not to mention some of the others. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My guess is that when they first came out they were just another remake of the original games. Not a lot of people wanted them and they went on sale rather quickly.

Since they went on clearance rather quickly, there probably aren't as many as other games. Now, those who do want them are willing to pay for it.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by camarotuner View Post
    Holy friggin crap. For a pile of games that hit clearance in every store around here the prices they now fetch are getting insane. 50-75 dollars for super mario bros? Are you kidding me? Not to mention some of the others. Anyone have any ideas?
    I don't know. I guess those are considered "definitive" versions of those old (classic) NES games. Not by me, though.

Why worry about it? The original Game Boy has "good" versions of Dr. Mario and Tetris, which cancels out two of those GBA games (unless you are buying the GBA versions as a collector). Well, I think Tetris was one of those reissues, unless I am thinking of Tetris DX or something? Which is it?

Meanwhile a game that I know exists .........Game Boy Color has Super Mario Deluxe which contains the same great gameplay plus some cool extras. It beats out the Super Mario Bros. Game Boy Advance game by a friggin' landslide.

Funny you bring this up. I need to get the first NES Zelda game for GBA before too long. Last thing I need is for that to somehow become inflated in price.

Insert Coin (Level 0) rustblackend's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It seems that the Super Mario Bros. Nes Classic game, and the Donkey Kong one fetch pretty good money. Do any of the other ones demand this much? I routinely see Nes Classics of Metroid, Ice Climber and a couple others for $5-$10.

I agree about GBC's Super Mario Deluxe, it's awesome. I got a mint complete copy at the flea market a couple days ago for $10. Don't worry Bang, the zelda ones aren't nearly as expensive. i see them for about $10 a piece or so at my local cd/game exchange.

How come SMA4: SMB3 is still $30 at most stores? All the other Super Mario Advance games went into players choice versions and are about $20. Target seems to have dropped SMA4 to $20 though if anyone still was looking for a good price on it.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 08:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

See Reggie spends all day reading message boards, and he sees that people love it when Nintendo makes money. So to make people happy they keep repackaging old games at modern prices, he is doing it FOR YOU!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess people are just stupid. You can pick up a spare SMB/Duck Hunt cart for pennies. But if people are okay with being tools for Nintendo, more power to 'em. It's not like I'm forced to buy all these rereleases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

How is it being a tool for wanting portable versions of some of your favorite games? I own the two Zelda titles, wouldn't mind adding Metroid and Super Mario Bros (If I found it for cheap) someday.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The classics for GBA are on sale here. I could just pick a few and sell them on the Bay but I'll pass for now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

Off to modern gaming. (GBA is post PS2)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well the truth about SMB price is that not that many people auctual finished SMB. The day I did I was like???? just a stupid song and thats it.

Personally all these Mario games are worthless and pointless after finishing them. It is the world of Mario that intrest players.

Think about it. A plumber going down sewer pipes to fight a Lizard and save the fungus Kingdom is weird enough allready. It makes no sense it is just that people have bein educated on this stuff from they was children.

Like Ms. Piggy or even Rocky. It was ether a good or bad thing and should it stay around?

The thing is that this is not the age of TMNT's or the age of CAPCOM or SQAURESOFT. It is the age of all these great people winding down while they took us for the ride.

Pesonally we need to fight back before they start stuffing our children into boxes labeled....re-programming camp.

Personally Mario games needs to go back down the drain where it belongs. I am sick and tired of these heartless games with no point to it at all. Only pointles level after level and nothing makes sense.

All I can say TMNT an MArio belongs together like swiss cheese....About that Ijust remember the live action Turtles on FOX where they did a cross over with another show.
    Last edited by RugalSizzler; 05-21-2007 at 07:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

Quote Originally Posted by RugalSizzler View Post
    Well the truth about SMB price is that not that many people auctual finished SMB. The day I did I was like???? just a stupid song and thats it.

Personally all these Mario games are worthless and pointless after finishing them. It is the world of Mario that intrest players.

Think about it. A plumber going down sewer pipes to fight a Lizard and save the fungus Kingdom is weird enough allready. It makes no sense it is just that people have bein educated on this stuff from they was children.

Like Ms. Piggy or even Rocky. It was ether a good or bad thing and should it stay around?

The thing is that this is not the age of TMNT's or the age of CAPCOM or SQAURESOFT. It is the age of all these great people winding down while they took us for the ride.

Pesonally we need to fight back before they start stuffing our children into boxes labeled....re-programming camp.

Personally Mario games needs to go back down the drain where it belongs. I am sick and tired of these heartless games with no point to it at all. Only pointles level after level and nothing makes sense.

All I can say TMNT an MArio belongs together like swiss cheese....About that Ijust remember the live action Turtles on FOX where they did a cross over with another show.
    And I thought the "ebay had my auction pulled" thread was good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RugalSizzler View Post
    Don't worry, the female race is ready to fight back by keeping 100 paces away from your nether regions.

That or you can practice abstinence. Then you won't have to worry about anyone stuffing your children into a box. As an added bonus, it will protect these forums from the threat of your offspring in 12-14 years.

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple View Post
    I guess people are just stupid. You can pick up a spare SMB/Duck Hunt cart for pennies.
    I just tried to plug my SMB/DH cart into the GBA slot of my DS and I couldn't figure out how it was supposed to fit in. Does it require an original GBA or something?

I don't see how the GBA rereleased NES games could be considered definitive, they were just emulated versions of the original ROMs and the screen had to be squished since the GBA screen's resolution is so much lower than the NES resolution. So, I should think the originals polayed on the original hardware would be far more "definitive." As for Super Mario Bros DX, while I love all the extras they added, it too suffers from resolution problems. I could never really get comfortable with the cropped and scrolling screen, so give me the original game running at the proper resolution any day. Or the All-Stars version.

...word is bondage...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple View Post
    You can pick up a spare SMB/Duck Hunt cart for pennies.
    You know, I've read that on here constantly, and I've yet to ever run across a SMB/Duck Hunt cartridge for sale that cheap, and I visit plenty of places to buy video games on a regular basis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sweater Fish Deluxe View Post
    As for Super Mario Bros DX, while I love all the extras they added, it too suffers from resolution problems. I could never really get comfortable with the cropped and scrolling screen, so give me the original game running at the proper resolution any day. Or the All-Stars version.
    I love love love the content of Super Mario Brothers DX, but no matter how much I played it, the resolution/cropping always bothered the hell out of me. A hella awesome fan project would be to make an open source/freeware clone of it in native (or hell, higher!) res and support online play.

That would just be 7 flavors of awesome.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

another thing is that you can emulate like 100 or more games in one gamepak on a real GBA.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

frys was selling the GBA Original Super Mario Bros for 15$ new... so i picked it up.

Sold it for 55$ + shipping.

Wish i had kept it shrinkwrapped. My GBA Metroid on the other hand....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    I love love love the content of Super Mario Brothers DX, but no matter how much I played it, the resolution/cropping always bothered the hell out of me.
    Sure, some minor stuff was compromised but small issues like the screen scrolling up don't lead to a mass number of cheap deaths in that version. Once in a blue moon, a Lakitu or a loose Hammer Brothers hammer may nick you while the screen scrolls up/down but we aren't talking about a fatal gameplay flaw. Really, how often will that happen? The lion's share of your enemies in SMB are on the ground. It may not be perfect but I still like it better than the All Stars version and a whole lot better than the GBA version which had even worse graphical issues.

About the All Stars version of SMB which someone mentioned:

The fact it was on a big screen with enhanced graphics for the Super NES and that 3 other classic Mario games were on the same cart naturally made it immume to any criticism. That version of Super Mario Bros. by itself is pretty good, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't replace the original anymore than the other remakes/ports that Nintendo threw at us. There were one or two things tweaked that I really didn't like on the SNES copy and I am referring to normal gameplay events and not the stupid glitches from the NES version which were accidental to begin with and wouldn't make it into other versions/ports of the game.

Aside from the screen/resolution, Super Mario Deluxe has gameplay that is as good as it gets.
    Last edited by bangtango; 05-21-2007 at 09:31 PM.

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    Sure, some minor stuff was compromised but small issues like the screen scrolling up don't lead to a mass number of cheap deaths in that version. Once in a blue moon, a Lakitu or a loose Hammer Brothers hammer may nick you while the screen scrolls up/down but we aren't talking about a fatal gameplay flaw. Really, how often will that happen? The lion's share of your enemies in SMB are on the ground.
    But you can't even see the ground if the screen is scrolled up.

I really can't say how many times the cropped screen caused me to die in SMB Deluxe, but that's not the point in my opinion. The cropping really changed the feel of the game for me. I didn't feel safe making certain jumps that are second nature in the regular version of SMB.

Maybe if I'd played SMB Deluxe as much as I played the original, I would have gotten over the difference, but it's not like I only played Deluxe for a couple hours or something. I beat the regular game numerous times and played the bonus stuff including SMB2 a ton, but it just never felt...right.

Maybe I'm extra sensitive to that sort of thing. I had to give up playing the GBA version of Super Mario World for the same reason.

About the All Stars version of SMB which someone mentioned:

The fact it was on a big screen with enhanced graphics for the Super NES and that 3 other classic Mario games were on the same cart naturally made it immume to any criticism. That version of Super Mario Bros. by itself is pretty good, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't replace the original anymore than the other remakes/ports that Nintendo threw at us. There were one or two things tweaked that I really didn't like on the SNES copy and I am referring to normal gameplay events and not the stupid glitches from the NES version which were accidental to begin with and wouldn't make it into other versions/ports of the game.
    The only real gameplay problem that I notice in All-Stars is that Mario continues moving up after breaking a set of bricks instead of bouncing back to the ground. I admit that that is a problem and I really wonder why they released the game with what seems like such a noticeable problem. However, I mostly play the game in emulators (I don't even have a SNES anymore, though I do still have my All-Stars & World cart) and the ROM I use has been patched to fix that problem. What else do you not like about the All-Stars version?

...word is bondage...